Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is The Simpsons getting better?

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Stonecutter The Abominable Dr. Lenny's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ManuelMaiden95 View Post
    The thing is, the Simpsons requires a change so monumental to ever be good again that it would also stop being the Simpsons.
    The show as it is can never be great and relevant again. But the writers are conservative because as I said, making the changes that are required would completely destroy the series.

The show have a lot of loyal fans that will watch it no matter what and so the writers prefer to keep the status quo. Basically the Simpsons is the opposite of artistic growth and ambition. It's a completely stale and outdated show that is irrelevant in popular culture since a long time but both the hardcore fans and the writers are comfortable in this position.
    I'm not implying that will ever be as great or relevant as it was, it won't be. That doesn't mean they can't consistently produce good episodes, they can. Season 31 is a clear example of this.

Quote Originally Posted by The Abominable Dr. Lenny View Post
    I'm not implying that will ever be as great or relevant as it was, it won't be. That doesn't mean they can't consistently produce good episodes, they can. Season 31 is a clear example of this.
    No doubt, but I feel like the newest season is no doubt a turning point for the show in one way or another. Nobody can deny that a change happened in season 31. Whether the show is the same, better, or worse, it's different. Season 27 was no different than prior seasons, it was produced under the same conditions as prior seasons. Season 31 has a move to Disney, a tangible reason and motivation for change, which is what makes me saying it now different.
    Why would Disney make a difference though? On the contrary, it will be more establishment and status quo than ever.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolerSimpsons View Post
    If it did get better, it didn't happen fast enough.

With every passing HD season, the show just gradually seemed to become duller and duller and more dumbed down in its treatment of the characters and comedy. By the time I reached season 30, I didn't even know why I was watching the show anymore. It might've been morbid curiosity, but in some cases I could even predict in which way an episode would be bad.
    So after Treehouse Of Horror XXX, I hung up the hat since I didn't even like reviewing it anymore. I did catch Bart The Bad Guy at my mom's flat just because it played on TV, and it reminded me even more of why I stopped watching. All the politically correct bullshit going on behind the scenes didn't help either.

I will always treasure the classic era, the Scully era and get a decent amount of enjoyment from the early Jean years before he fucked up. But the show in its current state holds no relevancy or interest to me whatsoever.
    I really wish you'd give it more of a chance, but I don't blame you. The only episodes you watched were THOH XXX (a season low) and BTBG (an episode I like, but I understand why others wouldn't. Certainly not a season high). You're completely right about the HD seasons, they did gradually get worse. If you feel that the show has gotten so bad that you no longer feel the need to watch it, then you are obviously justified. I think you should watch season 31, it's a bad time to duck out, but yet again, I don't blame you for quitting. I'd ask you to watch one of the better ones to decide once and for all, but if you don't feel it's worth it, there's not much I can do.

Blog Entries

Why would Disney make a difference though? On the contrary, it will be more establishment and status quo than ever.
    Perhaps the move to Disney has served as motivation for the writers, or perhaps they've changed it to be more suitable for Disney's standards. It's not exactly clear why the change happened, but it happened just the same. Season 31 is unlike the seasons that led up to it. The reason for the change isn't exactly tangible though.

Blog Entries

Season 31 started off rubbish, but then made The Fat Blue Line. Then, we had Marge The Lumberjill, then back to modern simpsons good with Thanksgiving of Horror (It does have an ending I don't like).
    During the end of the season, we had Highway To Well (my fave of the season) and a slightly underrated Incredible Lightness (which could've made Season 30 better, at least better than 25), then it all comes crashing down with Warrin' Priests. But it recovered quickly with The Hateful Eight-Year-Olds and of course, The Way Of The Dog, my 2nd fave of the season. When Undercover Burns comes, though, we know the plot, and it has some, but not a lot of potental.

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The show have a lot of loyal fans that will watch it no matter what and so the writers prefer to keep the status quo. Basically the Simpsons is the opposite of artistic growth and ambition. It's a completely stale and outdated show that is irrelevant in popular culture since a long time but both the hardcore fans and the writers are comfortable in this position.
    This pretty much sums up the show since the late teen seasons. Ever since the movie, the show has been essentially on cruise control, partnered with the related merch, the show was locked in.
    Well, ya'know if you stay positive and forget about trivial things like "proper characterization," "Satire," and "emotional depth" watching new Simpsons episodes can be a seemingly enjoyable lie.

I tried watching a new episode the Simpsons, but I realized the show hit a new low, like a brand new, underground parking structure of sadness.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trab Pu Kcip View Post
    Season 31 started off rubbish, but then made The Fat Blue Line. Then, we had Marge The Lumberjill, then back to modern simpsons good with Thanksgiving of Horror (It does have an ending I don't like).
    During the end of the season, we had Highway To Well (my fave of the season) and a slightly underrated Incredible Lightness (which could've made Season 30 better, at least better than 25), then it all comes crashing down with Warrin' Priests. But it recovered quickly with The Hateful Eight-Year-Olds and of course, The Way Of The Dog, my 2nd fave of the season. When Undercover Burns comes, though, we know the plot, and it has some, but not a lot of potental.
    I'm more referring to the 31st production season. The 30 holdovers, while fairly good, aren't synonymous with the improvement I'm talking about.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Patches O'houlihan View Post
    This pretty much sums up the show since the late teen seasons. Ever since the movie, the show has been essentially on cruise control, partnered with the related merch, the show was locked in.
    And even the merch is starting to disappear, maybe for the best. If FOX find the show profitable, they'll keep it going (please no season 34), otherwise, they're gonna put it on Disney+.

If they end it good (chances are they're gonna mess it up) I'm OK with that. If they end it badly, I'll just consider the last good episode to be the last one.
    My Favorite and Least Favorite from every season.
    U1: Babysitting Maggie/Burp Contest, U2: Space Patrol/The Funeral, U3: The Bart Simpson Show/Bart's Nightmare, S1: Krusty Gets Busted/Homer's Odyssey, S2: Lisa's Substitute/Principal Charming, S3: Saturdays Of Thunder /Mr. Lisa Goes To Washington, S4: Homer The Heretic/Marge In Chains, S5: Deep Space Homer/Sweet Seymour Skinner's Badasssss Song, S6: Lisa's Rival/Another Simpsons Clip Show, S7: Bart Sells His Soul/Scenes From The Class Struggle In Springfield, S8: The Springfield Files/My Sister, My Sitter, S9: The City Of New York vs Homer Simpson/All Singing, All Dancing, S10: Lisa Gets An 'A'/When You Dish Upon A Star, S11: Behind The Laughter/Kill The Alligator And Run, S12: Trilogy Of Error/Simpson Safari, S13: I Am Furious (Yellow)/The Frying Game, S14: Bart vs Lisa vs The 3rd Grade/Helter Shelter, S15: I, (Annoyed Grunt) Bot and The Wandering Juvie/Bart Mangled Banner, S16: Don’t Fear The Roofer/On A Clear Day I Can’t See My Sister, S17: Girls Just Want To Have Sums/Bonfire Of The Manatees, S18: 24 Minutes/Rome-Old and Juli-Eh, S19: The Debarted/All About Lisa, S20: Coming To Homerica/Lisa The Drama Queen, S21: Homer The Whopper/The Greatest Story Ever D'ohed, S22: Homer The Father/The Great Simpsina, S23: Holidays Of Future Passed/Treehouse Of Horror XXII and Lisa Goes Gaga, S24: The Saga Of Carl/Love Is A Many Splintered Thing, S25: Steal This Episode/Diggs, S26: Simpsorama/The Musk Who Fell To Earth, S27: Barthood/Friend With Benefit, S28: The Town/The Cad And The Hat, S29: Flanders Ladder/Treehouse Of Horror XXVIII, S30: Baby You Can't Drive My Car/Treehouse Of Horror XXIX, S31: Highway To Well/Warrin' Priests, Both Parts.

Quote the post above you, it gives me an enormous sense of a slow computer.

Blog Entries

And even the merch is starting to disappear, maybe for the best. If FOX find the show profitable, they'll keep it going (please no season 34), otherwise, they're gonna put it on Disney+.

If they end it good (chances are they're gonna mess it up) I'm OK with that. If they end it badly, I'll just consider the last good episode to be the last one.
    I hope it keeps going, I'm actually hopeful for the future.

Blog Entries

If the show is gonna get worse, then it needs to end. IMO, I'd rather have no simpsons than bad simpsons.

Blog Entries

If the show is gonna get worse, then it needs to end. IMO, I'd rather have no simpsons than bad simpsons.
    I can't see it getting worse. It was terrible for over a decade. It's just now starting to improve. It would be sad to see it end now.

Blog Entries

They're just gonna keep dragging it on like a outdated fad that they're trying to revive, so, I don't think it's gonna end here.

Blog Entries

They're just gonna keep dragging it on like a outdated fad that they're trying to revive, so, I don't think it's gonna end here.
    It's hard to tell where you even stand here. Do you want it cancelled, or did you like season 31?

Blog Entries

I liked Season 31 over all HD seasons, but I just want it to end.

Blog Entries

I liked Season 31 over all HD seasons, but I just want it to end.
    You want it to end despite improvement? interesting.

Just chillin', dawg OldSchoolerSimpsons's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It's more than just the lacking quality that makes me want it to end. The deaths of Marcia Wallace and Russi Taylor scared the hell out of me. It was an eerie reminder of what can happen when a show goes on for this long, and gives you an unwanted feeling of death angst. I don't want this to ever happen again, and it won't have to if they decide to call it quits or FOX cancels it in a few years.
    Quote Originally Posted by scully apologist;bt39949
    "KONY 2012"

Blog Entries

It's more than just the lacking quality that makes me want it to end. The deaths of Marcia Wallace and Russi Taylor scared the hell out of me. It was an eerie reminder of what can happen when a show goes on for this long, and gives you an unwanted sense of death angst. I don't want this to ever happen again, and it won't have to if they decide to call it quits or FOX cancels it in a few years.
    Yeah, makes sense. I'm not sure how I'd like them to handle voice actor deaths, especially if it was in the main cast.

Blog Entries

Off Screen Deaths were handled better, and when they killed off all of Russi's characters, I didn't like that bit.

Pin Pal

I'd argue that at this point the show has become more famous for its absurdly long length as opposed to it being a legitimately good show.

I've also noticed that, particularly in the HD era, they seem to be aiming the show at a younger audience, hence the weaker writing and lack of effort. Kids who watch it for the bright colours and wacky Homer antics, as opposed to its old adult audience who watched it for its smart jokes and satire of Americana.

Blog Entries

Off Screen Deaths were handled better, and when they killed off all of Russi's characters, I didn't like that bit.
    They didn't kill off Russi's characters.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by J.J.Watts View Post
    I'd argue that at this point the show has become more famous for its absurdly long length as opposed to it being a legitimately good show.

I've also noticed that, particularly in the HD era, they seem to be aiming the show at a younger audience, hence the weaker writing and lack of effort. Kids who watch it for the bright colours and wacky Homer antics, as opposed to its old adult audience who watched it for its smart jokes and satire of Americana.
    Not exactly. The show only ran this long because it was cultural phenomenon to begin with.

Blog Entries

Plus that was simply a case of bad timing, it was never intentionally planned to be her last episode.

Blog Entries

Plus that was simply a case of bad timing, it was never intentionally planned to be her last episode.
    At least she went out on possibly the most acclaimed episode of the season. Could've been much worse.

To me the thread question it is a bit of a tricky one in a sense as the modern seasons are really up and down with the quality.

I wouldn't say that the show is getting that much better, but still the recent HD era season have been better than those that came before it (though I find that 27 was much better than 28, which is one of the worst seasons of the series). I'd say that things really started to feel a little different (in a good way) with the advent of season 29 (which I still find a pretty solid one). The latter had a much bigger amount of good/above average episodes than expected and it felt more even than most of the HD seasons that came before (at least to me). 30 was a step down and didn't feel as inspired but it still carried over some of the quality of 29 & with 31 the show bounced back a little to the goodness of 29.

It is still not better as a whole per se, but as far as the current HD era is concerned, it had improved by a fair bit (@Szyslak100 covered it really well on the previous pages with what changed, such as a different writer turnover, more of Selman, etc.). Hopefully they will keep up this level of work which could make modern Simpsons better, but in no way can it reach the level of good it had in the classic era. I feel that many are stuck in that era and demand that the show always should have been that great, which is downright impossible (I think that the modern seasons should be judged by their own merits and against each other & not the classics, which is too easy of a way to slam all the modern stuff).

The show is certainly past its expiration date and has gone on for way too long (I still think it's well about time for it to wind down and end), but that doesn't mean the show as it is right now can still get better (up to its end) when compared to the rest of the modern seasons.
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 09-06-2020 at 01:28 PM.

Blog Entries

They didn't kill off Russi's characters.
    Maybe not but they still killed Martin badly!

Blog Entries

... in a non-canon episode.

Please, no dwelling on this again. She was fine with performing that scene, so it can't be so disrespectful she would take offense to that possibly being her last episode.

The thing is, the Simpsons requires a change so monumental to ever be good again that it would also stop being the Simpsons.
    Can you elaborate on what you mean here? Like, would you age up the characters?

Edit: I can’t really consider this to be a decent show, at least until I can feel comfortable watching a new episode without having to research it like an Amazon product. With shows I consider good, it’s very much against the odds that the random episode I pick will turn out to be a stinker. With shows I consider great (Spongebob S1-3, Simpsons S1-9) the worst episodes are still fairly enjoyable.

I don’t expect Simpsons to reach that peak again, but what I’m trying to say is that a show worth my time should have me jumping right in, not dipping my toe and recoiling 2/3 times.
    Last edited by The Epipha-Tree; 09-16-2020 at 02:30 AM.

Honestly, no clue or idea because I gave up and stopped watching years ago. I do know that there are some excellent episodes that pop up now and again like Barthood, but overall the show just feels so exhausted out and tired. Imagine if it stopped about season 10 and came back today for a revival like Animantics and Duck Tales, the hype would be through the roof.
    Favorite by season
    1.Krusty Gets Busted 2. Bart Gets An F 3. Lisa's Pony 4. Duffless/Last Exit to Springfiled 5. Homer's Barbershop Quartet 6. And Maggie Makes Three 7. The Curse Of The Flying Hellfish 8.Hurricane Neddy 9 Das Bus 10. Wild Barts Can't Be Broken 11. Saddlesore Galactica 12. HOMR 13. Weekend at Burnsie's. 14. How I Spent My Strummer Vacation. 15. The President Wore Pearls.

One thing that absolutely needs to change in order for the show to not feel ancient, is Marge’s voice. What’s happened to her voice reminds me of what happened to Mark Hamill’s Joker voice between Batman TAS and now: it’s raspy and strained, crackling between wheezing and grating. Except, you know, the Joker is supposed to be a twisted character whose physicality was altered when he fell into a vat of corrosive chemicals. Marge is not.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Epipha-Tree View Post
    One thing that absolutely needs to change in order for the show to not feel ancient, is Marge’s voice. What’s happened to her voice reminds me of what happened to Mark Hamill’s Joker voice between Batman TAS and now: it’s raspy and strained, crackling between wheezing and grating. Except, you know, the Joker is supposed to be a twisted character whose physicality was altered when he fell into a vat of corrosive chemicals. Marge is not.
    I know it's not great, but it's just her voice, she can't help it. She still does a great job and I think it should just be left alone.

Thread Information