Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Shows with the most severe decline you've seen.

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Stonecutter The Abominable Dr. Lenny's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by orangemo View Post
    Eh South Park is good with satire but most of it (even before) is mindless shock. Was never a huge fan to begin with but the classic episodes are really funny cause they combined witty humor and shock. Now it's mindless Shock with almost zero wit. They did do "Band in China" and "Christmas Snow", but the rest of the recent season was lame.

Honestly, i'd take modern simpsons over modern south park.
    I haven't seen the entirety of the recent season. Only saw Band In China and that was great. I still like The Simpsons and season 31 was pretty good.

Stonecutter
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Abominable Dr. Lenny View Post
    I saw the FG reel. All terrible to one extent or another. BTH still didn't make me laugh.
    How did you watch all 5 minutes of BTH in 3 minutes?
    Simpsons S32 ratings: - "Undercover Burns" - 2/5 - "I, Carumbus" - 4/5 - "Now Museum, Now You Don't" - 2/5 - "Treehouse 31" - 4/5

Bless the Harts S2 ratings: - "Violet's Secret" - 4/5 - "The Last Supper" - 3.5/5 - "My Best Frenda" - 4.5/5 - "Dead Mall" - 3.5/5

Bob's Burgers S11 ratings: - "Dream a Little Bob of Bob" - 3.5/5 - "Worms of In-Rear-ment" - 4/5 - "Copa-Bob-bana" - 4/5 - "Heartbreak Hotel-oween" - 4/5

Family Guy S19 ratings: - "Stewie's First Word" - 1/5 - "The Talented Mr. Stewie" - 3/5 - "Boys & Squirrels" - 1/5 - "Cutawayland" - 3/5

Blog Entries

How did you watch all 5 minutes of BTH in 3 minutes?
    I'd already seen it.

Stonecutter
    Blog Entries

I'd already seen it.
    Surprised it didn't make you laugh. I really liked the teen Jenny flashback. I laughed the entire way through.

Escuchame? Bloodcurdling Sandurt's Avatar

Eh South Park is good with satire but most of it (even before) is mindless shock. Was never a huge fan to begin with but the classic episodes are really funny cause they combined witty humor and shock. Now it's mindless Shock with almost zero wit. They did do "Band in China" and "Christmas Snow", but the rest of the recent season was lame.

Honestly, i'd take modern simpsons over modern south park.
    I thought South Park was the only show that keeps it episode good throughout. Maybe I have a really special bond with it I have been watching the show since it's 7th season

Borner you quoted me what did you say?

Quote Originally Posted by Sandurt View Post
    Borner you quoted me what did you say?
    Nah, it was nothing. It was something about Futurama's quality being consistent, a statement which I quickly regretted making after remembering its drop in quality in the revival era.

Oh, I was talking about the adult animated shows ongoing now if I was talking series that have been finished I probably would've said King Of The Hill

Oh, and Bob's Burgers is still consistent

Blog Entries

twin peaks

it gets better, but still - its fascinating that one of the most heralded shows of all time has 2/3ds of a season regarded as total dogshit

I haven't seen the entirety of the recent season. Only saw Band In China and that was great. I still like The Simpsons and season 31 was pretty good.
    there really was one way to be and this is not it, we think

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by deadname View Post
    twin peaks

it gets better, but still - its fascinating that one of the most heralded shows of all time has 2/3ds of a season regarded as total dogshit

It was clearly a satire of how american entertainers are afraid to release material that doesn't meet the standards of the Chinese government. I don't see how it could be misinterpreted in any way.

It was clearly a satire of how american entertainers are afraid to release material that doesn't meet the standards of the Chinese government. I don't see how it could be misinterpreted in any way.
    Trey and Matt's response to China banning the episode was even funnier, and it shows that the creators haven't lost their touch of rebellious mockery that jabs controversial topics at their heart, refusing to address said issues with pretensions of politeness or courteosy:

This is the reason why I love South Park.

Same

Blog Entries

lol i quoted the entirely wrong post

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by deadname View Post
    lol i quoted the entirely wrong post
    oh.

Why game 7, WHY? Return Of The Living Trab's Avatar
    Blog Entries

What was the post that was originally be quoted?

Oh, And that apology is done in a perfect and funny way.
    My Favorite and Least Favorite from every season.
    U1: Babysitting Maggie/Burp Contest, U2: Space Patrol/The Funeral, U3: The Bart Simpson Show/Bart's Nightmare, S1: Krusty Gets Busted/Homer's Odyssey, S2: Lisa's Substitute/Principal Charming, S3: Saturdays Of Thunder /Mr. Lisa Goes To Washington, S4: Homer The Heretic/Marge In Chains, S5: Deep Space Homer/Sweet Seymour Skinner's Badasssss Song, S6: Lisa's Rival/Another Simpsons Clip Show, S7: Bart Sells His Soul/Scenes From The Class Struggle In Springfield, S8: The Springfield Files/My Sister, My Sitter, S9: The City Of New York vs Homer Simpson/All Singing, All Dancing, S10: Lisa Gets An 'A'/When You Dish Upon A Star, S11: Behind The Laughter/Kill The Alligator And Run, S12: Trilogy Of Error/Simpson Safari, S13: I Am Furious (Yellow)/The Frying Game, S14: Bart vs Lisa vs The 3rd Grade/Helter Shelter, S15: I, (Annoyed Grunt) Bot and The Wandering Juvie/Bart Mangled Banner, S16: Don’t Fear The Roofer/On A Clear Day I Can’t See My Sister, S17: Girls Just Want To Have Sums/Bonfire Of The Manatees, S18: 24 Minutes/Rome-Old and Juli-Eh, S19: The Debarted/All About Lisa, S20: Coming To Homerica/Lisa The Drama Queen, S21: Homer The Whopper/The Greatest Story Ever D'ohed, S22: Homer The Father/The Great Simpsina, S23: Holidays Of Future Passed/Treehouse Of Horror XXII and Lisa Goes Gaga, S24: The Saga Of Carl/Love Is A Many Splintered Thing, S25: Steal This Episode/Diggs, S26: Simpsorama/The Musk Who Fell To Earth, S27: Barthood/Friend With Benefit, S28: The Town/The Cad And The Hat, S29: Flanders Ladder/Treehouse Of Horror XXVIII, S30: Baby You Can't Drive My Car/Treehouse Of Horror XXIX, S31: Highway To Well/Warrin' Priests, Both Parts, S32: Treehouse Of Horror XXXI/Now Museum, Now You Don't.

Blog Entries

love china
    cheems

Quote Originally Posted by Borner1990 View Post
    Buffy had a decline too, but its decline was by far one of the least terrible declines yet because it still retained much of its sensibility and metaphors about growing up. I think only season 7, its last season, was the "truly terrible" one according to the fans
    More or less how I feel. S7 is the weakest of them all and it could've ended at s6 for all I care, especially after the ep Seeing Red damaged the hell outta me. I had gotten past Riley sucking in s4, I had gotten past Dawn being wholly annoying. While I mostly enjoy the actual finale itself and love Nathan Fillion, I didn't care very much about him as a villain (psychotic misogynist priest, oh goody) and probably would've sooner prefer she just fight another generic super master vampire/demon of the Hellmouth. I also disliked the majority of how the slayer-in-training related stuff played out (I think the concept itself was actually neat given the importance of the activation of a slayer as one dies, etc), especially with Kennedy and Willow having a relationship shoved in that I hated. I did like the characters of Amanda and Vee. Characters like Andrew could make me laugh and then aggravate me in the same scene. Then they kicked Buffy out of her house and I went nuts lmao. Aggravating season, decent ending, good Angel cameo, sad about the deaths that happened. S7 is watchable, but for me it is a frustrating watch.
    facebook / twitter / tumblr
    round and round let the city turn party in the hills we can party in the burbs roof on fire let it burn champagne in my hand I'm not concerned

18. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Borner1990

Speaking of shows and their inevitable declines, I found this a few days ago:

https://s3.crackedcdn.com/articleima.../seriestwo.jpg

This chart fits well for Dexter and The X-Files, where around season 6, it began the decline for both series (technically season 5 for Dexter). The Simpsons' "Cracks Start to Show" period didn't begin until season 9 or 10, depending on whom you ask, which is impressive considering the average lifespan of a TV series. They usually fall into pieces after four or five seasons. Breaking Bad was wise enough to stop at five. Game of Thrones should have too.

Kinda sad though that there's a "Zombie Years" referenced on the chart, as if directly referencing the derogatory phrase of "Zombie Simpsons". Heh...
    Last edited by Borner1990; 09-12-2020 at 09:35 PM.

This chart fits well for Dexter and The X-Files, where around season 6, it began the decline for both series (technically season 5 for Dexter). The Simpsons' "Cracks Start to Show" period didn't begin until season 9 or 10, depending on whom you ask, which is impressive considering the average lifespan of a TV series. They usually fall into pieces after four or five seasons. Breaking Bad was wise enough to stop at five. Game of Thrones should have too.

Kinda sad though that there's a "Zombie Years" referenced on the chart, as if directly referencing the derogatory phrase of "Zombie Simpsons". Heh...
    The Simpsons was at the top of its game in seasons 6 and 7 which is impressive. Not only it did not decline but had some of its best seasons after season 5 which is the point of not return for most shows.

It is amazing they had 8 seasons of such an immense quality but how much time could they keep this quality? Oakley and Weinstein knew the decline was imminent. It shows that they were aware in the last episodes they produced.
    In The Simpsons Spin Off Showcase they joke about crazy plots in order to keep the show alive (sadly it would stop being a joke in the future).
    And in Lisa the Simpson, the last episode they produced, Lisa says "I've hit my mental and creative peak at the tender age of eight. What will my life be like after I descend into mediocrity?”
    It's hard not to consider it a prophetic phrase about the future of the show.

That's why I won't ever understand people who want this show to last forever. It's not like the show was cancelled in season 5 or season 6.
    It had given everything it could give and it was reaching its natural lifespan by the end of season 8.
    If season 9 had been planned as the final season it would have been a beautiful finale.
    Season 9 is the first major decline but it's still the last good season and it would have been different if it was the final season anyways.

21. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Borner1990

Quote Originally Posted by ManuelMaiden95 View Post
    It is amazing they had 8 seasons of such an immense quality but how much time could they keep this quality? Oakley and Weinstein knew the decline was imminent. It shows that they were aware in the last episodes they produced.
    In The Simpsons Spin Off Showcase they joke about crazy plots in order to keep the show alive (sadly it would stop being a joke in the future).
    And in Lisa the Simpson, the last episode they produced, Lisa says "I've hit my mental and creative peak at the tender age of eight. What will my life be like after I descend into mediocrity?”
    It's hard not to consider it a prophetic phrase about the future of the show.

That's why I won't ever understand people who want this show to last forever. It's not like the show was cancelled in season 5 or season 6.
    It's interesting whenever a showrunner acknowledges that his show is dying, and he knows it. Chris Carter exemplified this in his writing in season 5 of The X-Files too. "The Post-Modern Prometheus" was a Frankenstein tribute about creations and stories going beyond the creator's control; Kitsunegari was a parody of trashy sequels of horror and sci-fi movies that are blatant cash-ins of the original. I think a lot of showrunners like Chris and O&W, they understood the limited lifespan of their stories, but at the same time, they also recognized it for what it is: a business. It's not their decision to end the show, but the network.

Initially, Chris wanted to end The X-Files at season 5 before turning it into a movie series. I'm watching season 5 of the show right now, and I can already tell it's starting to limp along in its quality. However, there's a problem with Chris' decision: The X-Files was at its peak in season 5. It was a show more popular than ever. Same with Simpsons season 9. There was no way that Fox would slaughter the golden goose prematurely regardless of the showrunner's decision.

Another interesting thing is that, in spite of being influenced to create more seasons for X-Files, Chris still showed glimpses of his talent, even in the trashier season 6-10. You could tell that there's still effort put in there, and it feels like Chris' attempt to extract something nice out of a situation he had no control over: his Frankenstein monster going out of his control.

So when people blame Jean for not ending the show, when they blame Jean for being the reason the show sucks now, when they blame him for not handing the show over to another showrunner... I think it's just a little more complicated than that. Al Jean doesn't own the show; Fox, or now Disney, does.
    Last edited by Borner1990; 09-14-2020 at 10:12 AM.

Exactly. When people blame Jean or Scully for the decline, they're not understanding the bigger picture. It's Fox to blame, they're the ones refusing to let it end with dignity.

24. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Borner1990

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jerkass Scully View Post
    Exactly. When people blame Jean or Scully for the decline, they're not understanding the bigger picture. It's Fox to blame, they're the ones refusing to let it end with dignity.
    On the other hand, I don't think Al Jean is begging for the show to end. He's happy to keep doing it, and has shown no interest of stepping down and giving it to someone else.

On the other hand, I don't think Al Jean is begging for the show to end. He's happy to keep doing it, and has shown no interest of stepping down and giving it to someone else.
    Can't say I blame him. He has the privilege of being part of one of the greatest pop culture icons of the 21st Century. I wouldn't give that up easily, certainly not if I'm paid well enough. Regardless of what the long time fans think, business is still blooming, the paychecks are still coming in, hence why it's still continuing. It's an inevitable part of show business.

That's why I gave up a long time ago trying to convince people not to support the creation of shallow blockbuster movies that discourage creativity in cinema. I accepted the business for what it is, and that no matter what I say or do, business will continue, and people will keep watching.

I think it's gonna be very hard for Al Jean to ever leave as showrunner at this point, having been around for so long. Unless the viewership (not the ratings or the reviews, mind you) takes such a severe dive that it's beyond rescue, unless Jean made some mistake on social media, I just don't see him leaving, ever.

There's also this:

Yeah, Al Jean or The Simpsons aren't going anywhere any time soon. Give up all notions of cancellations, guys.
    Last edited by Borner1990; 09-14-2020 at 10:33 AM.

The Office. It's unbelievable how rapidly it fell off. Up until Michael left, it was one of the most enjoyable shows I've ever seen (albeit getting tired in Season 6). Then Season 7 was just okay-ish. By Season 8, it was worse than modern Simpsons, and I'm being sincere when I say that. I can't speak for Season 9 because I haven't seen it, but there ya go. Watching the show in chronological order was an astonishing experience. It was as if the writers gave up overnight.

I'm really fucking loving Dexter does it really get that bad?

29. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Borner1990

Blog Entries

I've never been a huge fan of The Office, and I haven't even seen every episode, but I do have to say, I think the finale is really well-done.

and I stopped watching Dexter in the middle of season six and have heard nothing but bad things about the rest of the show. the last season and the finale especially.

31. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Borner1990

Why game 7, WHY? Return Of The Living Trab's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It goes downhill at the very end. Season 7 is all right, with it's highest rankings but there is a huge drop of quality in that 8th season.

The first four seasons were peak television and contributed to the growth of the anti-hero protagonist among TV characters like Walter White and Tony Soprano. But the writers wrote themselves into a corner at the end of season 4 and were forced to come up with contrived ways of developing Dexter. He starts losing brain cells at this point and becomes Dumbass Dexter in the likes of Homer Simpson.

To be fair, it's not the plot development that's the problem - what happens in season 5 through 8 were inevitable consequences that would've been needed to be addressed in a matter of time - but it's the way they got to their destination that's problematic. Lumen's character is interesting on paper - a dark companion going down the same dark path as Dexter, but her motivation and circumstances seem trite for a contemplative show exploring the darkness of human nature. She seems better off in a show like Law & Order: SVU. The Doomsday Killer is a joke and a walking parody of apocalyptic killers seen so many times in the '90s, especially in the cult show by X-Files creator Chris Cater, "Millennium". Also, the ending was stupid and contrived, the way that character finds out about Dexter's crime. And from that point on, everything became a mess down towards season 7, with the writers rushing towards resolving the problem of Dexter being exposed as a killer without ending the series yet.

I didn't bother with season 8.

Was thinking of this thread a little so I'll bring it back by adding something.

I've seen that chart before and while I wouldn't say it fits the Simpsons at all (season 8 being the start of the "zombie years" is silly, but 6 standing for the beginning of the decline is preposterous), it is like a spitting image of how 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' was like. Even the decriptions are eerily fitting for the most part. However, the show itself didn't have a severe decline, but it felt a little shaky at times in the sixth season and the seventh (and last) season was really uneven and up and down with the quality, but still had some nuggets and a strong finale.

For the most part, I think a show shouldn't have more than 7 or 8 seasons unless they have a steady supply of good to great ideas.
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 10-04-2020 at 07:00 AM.
    The Simpsons - Season 32

Undercover Burns - 3/5 / I, Carumbus - 4/5 / Now Museum, Now You Don't - 1/5 / Treehouse Of Horror XXXI - 4/5 / The 7 Beer Itch - TBD

Thread Information