When did the Simpsons stop getting referenced in popular culture?

I mean at what time did the show stop being popular to talk about in school or at work? When did it stop influencing popular culture in terms of phrases, memes, etc?

I think this could be different from country to country, I am from Argentina and I think it was around the time when Jean took over that people stopped paying attention for the most part. Most of the phrases people repeat or memes that people use come from the first 12 seasons.
    Now, the Scully years are not generally considered classic (except for season 9 and ocasionally 10) but the show still influenced pop culture around here during the Scully years.

About season 13 though I noticed the show was declining in popularity and influence. After season 15 it was all lost because it also coinceded with the change of the voice actors for Latin America and for a lot of people it was the nail in the coffin for a show that was already declining in popularity.

Stonecutter The Abominable Dr. Lenny's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Probably by s 13 or so is when new simpsons stopped being relevant.

3. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Snorky

Quote Originally Posted by The Abominable Dr. Lenny View Post
    I agree. I find it curious though, that many in this forum considered those seasons to be a sort of renaissance, many still believe so, but it was also around the time when the show stopped being relevant.
    I wonder how they explain that.

In my case I don't consider them to be a renaissance.

Blog Entries

Well, the Scully years were in my opinion better than the Jean years, but Scully tended to be more whacky and leaned closer to shock humor than Jean did. I suppose Jeans early years and his run in general could be considered a more coherent run and a return to normalcy, which was welcomed in general. Great episodes became less common in Jeans run, but there also weren't many terrible episodes, and Jeans terrible ones weren't terrible in the same way as Scullys.

Well, the Scully years were in my opinion better than the Jean years, but Scully tended to be more whacky and leaned closer to shock humor than Jean did. I suppose Jeans early years and his run in general could be considered a more coherent run and a return to normalcy, which was welcomed in general. Great episodes became less common in Jeans run, but there also weren't many terrible episodes, and Jeans terrible ones weren't terrible in the same way as Scullys.
    I don't think Jean ever returned things to normalcy though. It looked like it from the outside, but if you look more closely the characters never returned to their classic era selves, not even close.
    And Jean also had horrible horrible episodes even in his first seasons, episodes that would have been trashed if they aired under Scully but people were much more forgiving of Jean at the time.

I think the difference is that Scully Simpsons was pretty bad (mostly seasons 11 and 12) but still had a memorable joke or phrase in every episode.
    Like for example Kill the Alligator and Run is a hated episode but it has at least two scenes that became memes.

On the other hand Jean episodes may have been less wacky but they stopped having anything that they could be remembered for. It became bland and the kind of show you put as background noise.

Basically he returned a few things to normalcy (although the amount of it is clearly overstated) but lost any trace of vitality.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ManuelMaiden95 View Post
    I don't think Jean ever returned things to normalcy though. It looked like it from the outside, but if you look more closely the characters never returned to their classic era selves, not even close.
    And Jean also had horrible horrible episodes even in his first seasons, episodes that would have been trashed if they aired under Scully but people were much more forgiving of Jean at the time.

I think the difference is that Scully Simpsons was pretty bad (mostly seasons 11 and 12) but still had a memorable joke or phrase in every episode.
    Like for example Kill the Alligator and Run is a hated episode but it has at least two scenes that became memes.

On the other hand Jean episodes may have been less wacky but they stopped having anything that they could be remembered for. It became bland and the kind of show you put as background noise.

Basically he returned a few things to normalcy (although the amount of it is clearly overstated) but lost any trace of vitality.
    Well the show wasn't as special anymore when Jean took over, but it was more consistently decent and the terrible episodes weren't as blatantly terrible.

Yep, I'd say the show is massively referenced until the end of the Scully years, although this is even more abundant in seasons 4 and 5 (which is normal since they are the heaviest seasons in terms of gags and jokes). There are some meme-worthy moments and repeated quotes before the HD era. And since that, only a few scenes where popularly referenced. "There are no more great days, Bart. Just days", from Homer Scissorhands, comes to mind.
    SEASON 32 - RATINGS

Undercover Burns - ?/5 / I, Carambus - ?/5 / Now Museum, Now You Don't - ?/5 / Treehouse of Horror XXXI - ?/5

Blog Entries

Wasn't that worst day of your life so far bit from the movie quite popular?

I don't take returns. Trab Pu Kcip's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Somehow, I've never really cared for that particular line. I think The Simpsons grew less popular around Season 8, after Who Shot Mr. Burns, but Pop Culture's kept it until the HD era.

Like others have said, the decline of The Simpsons as an influence on popular culture corresponds quite well with the beggning of the Jean era. Even though the actual decline of the quality of the show began in the Scully era, itseems to me like it took a couple of seasons for people in general to notice how far the show had fallen. During the season 10-12 period, people still talked about The Simpsons in general as a great show because that's what everyone was used to it being. I still remember when the show was talked about in media during those years and it was always "The Simpsons is one of the smartest shows on TV" instead of "was". But sometime around season 13 people caught up and realized that, hey wait i minute, the show currently running and calling itself The Simpsons is something completely different from The Simpsons that we all loved, and the "The Simpsons used to be great but now it's not" narrative finally enterted the mainstream.

Pin Pal

One of the most recent seasons to spawn a popular Simpsons meme is probably Marge crimping, which is from season 19's 'Little Orphan Millie'. You could argue that it is THE most popular Simpsons meme. But I can't think of any from the HD era.

I would agree with that, but I would also say there was a big drop off in interest in the show (particularly by people over the age of 21), after Season 6 and Who Shot Mr Burns.

Many people over that age probably thought the show peaked at that time and it should have ended then, so they lost interest, whereas a lot of younger age groups where still happy to watch the show until they felt all the Golden Age episodes had dried up (so probably until Trilogy of Error)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trab Pu Kcip View Post
    Somehow, I've never really cared for that particular line. I think The Simpsons grew less popular around Season 8, after Who Shot Mr. Burns, but Pop Culture's kept it until the HD era.
    I thought it was a funny line, and the later call back to it works. The Simpsons isn't relevant anymore, but there are still occasional moments here and there that become popular.

Thread Information