Thread: The season that built the series.

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

The season that built the series.

If there was just one season that the Simpsons built its reputation on or showed that the series "made it" which is it? I'm not asking for the best season.

I would say either season 2 or 3. Lending towards 3.

I don't take returns. Trab Pu Kcip's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Season 2. It's a classic all around.

Stonecutter The Abominable Dr. Lenny's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'll agree with 2 or 3.

Definetely season 2. I'm a big defender of season 1 but there's no denying season 2 is when everything comes around.
    It introduces all the major secondary characters and locations, it establishes who the main characters are, for example Lenny and Carl as the main coworkers, Milhouse as Bart's best friend, etc.
    It inaugurates the Treehouse of Horror tradition, it has the first flashback episode, it defines Burns as the main villain, etc.

Season 1 took them to season 2, season 2 took them to at least season 8.

At the time it was probably 3.

But these days, the mainstream media and casual fans mainly reference and talk of 6 and 7 (despite obviously watching the earlier seasons too), with some occasional references up to 12 as well.

So I would say for hardcore fans it's still 3, but for other groups 6 built their perception of the Simpsons and they either don't know enough about, or don't care for earlier seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Snorky View Post
    At the time it was probably 3.

But these days, the mainstream media and casual fans mainly reference and talk of 6 and 7 (despite obviously watching the earlier seasons too), with some occasional references up to 12 as well.

So I would say for hardcore fans it's still 3, but for other groups 6 built their perception of the Simpsons and they either don't know enough about, or don't care for earlier seasons.
    Is that so in Ireland though? I am from Argentina and my perception is people here mainly make references of the show from seasons 2 to 12. The only season that is less references is season 1.

Season 3.

Being my fanatic self Simpson's Fan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I would say season 2, because a lot of things were improved in that season.

* The humour was finally defined as semi-satirical and semi-humouristic. It became more well-rounded and not just a mix with unfunny moments.

* More recurring characters were introduced that would later on help the plot continue.

* The stories became a bit more interesting and not always so depressing, in comparison to season 1's storylines.

Season 3, even if it seems like the unpopular opinion. Having recently gone through the first three seasons, I still think the show hadn't worked out all the kinks and issues in 2 (despite it being a solid season with a lot of great scripts and whatnot) but in 3 the show really bloomed and more or less showed what it would be for the remainder of the classic era. The show certainly mproving on things here and there but still, 3 is where it really got started

Surprised because nobody answered season one yet. I think The Simpsons were outstanding since the very first season, and although the first season has its problems, especially in animation, and might look different in retrospect, the basis of the show was established since Simpsons Roasting on an Open Fire and towards. Most of the main characters were already presented and developed, the recurring places that define Springfield were already visited, the most special dynamics we're already treated. Seasons 2 are 3 perfected the universe and the style of the show, undoubtedly, but in my opinion, the show was built in season 1.
    SEASON 32 - RATINGS

Undercover Burns - ?/5 / I, Carambus - ?/5 / Now Museum, Now You Don't - ?/5 / Treehouse of Horror XXXI - ?/5

Season 1 is solid and all that and it could be argued it did build the show, but I still think it was a gradual step-by-step evolution. 1 established the setting, the characters and much of the style (having a lot of good stories and ideas), 2 developed and expanded on everything with a lot of quality writing, drama and emotional content & by the time 3 rolled around the show truly started to shine.

I agree, and that's my point. You can not conceive The Simpsons without its first season and that's why I think it that's the season that "build the show". Season two molded provides a more extended universe and the definitive version of the characters and season three molded the show into a comedy (a process that season 4 would continue). But I think without season one nothing of that would be possible.

Blog Entries

What about the Tracy Ullman Years? Without them, then I don't know if The Simpsons would've existed or be successful?

I appreciate the shorts but I don't think they have big impacts on the series. It creates the designs of the main characters, gives them a name, and one characteristic. Oh, and it offers a very vague conception of The Simpsons house that was perfectioned in season one. But nothing more. Maybe the shorts we're substantial for the producers to timidly bet on the series, but that doesn't "build the series" IMO.

I agree it was a step by step evolution that concluded in season 3.

Season 1 established the main characters of the family and their dinamics as well as some secondary characters. The first four episodes in the production line are a thing on their own (Some Enchanted Evening, Bart the Genius, Homer's Odyssey and There's no Disgrace like Home) but after that the show starts to get the dynamics clear. Moaning Lisa for example completely establishes Lisa as a very different character from Bart.
    Season 1 also establishes that this is a show that will destroy many of the conventions that had been a staple of primetime TV.

Season 2 is where everything we know about the Simpsons comes together. All the major secondary characters are now introduced, many got their special episodes like grandpa, Skinner, Patty and of course the star of the season that is Mr Burns.
    It also establishes the main groups of people you'd expect to find together, it establishes Lenny and Carl as the main co-workers, Milhouse as Bart's best friend, Nelson and Martin as the other important guys in Springfield Elementary, etc.
    It inaugurates the Treehouse of Horror tradition, first flashback episode, Itchy and Scratchy as an important prescense.
    Really, season 2 is when everything we know about the Simpsons comes together.

And finally in season 3 it became the well oiled machine of jokes that we knew during the classic era. This season isn't a lot about building Springfield or adding new elements to the show. This was all done in season 2. But this is when the show starts becoming a gagfest and starts telling ten jokes per minute.
    Yes, of course it introduced new things, but were minor in comparison to the first two seasons. This was more about perfecting the humour.

I like to think of these three seasons as the ones that built the show and seasons 8, 9 and 10 as the ones that deconstructed the show.
    And I don't necessarily mean deconstruct in a bad way, it was the logical thing to do and writers thought they were wrapping things up by season 8.
    It didn't work because ultimately the show never ended and that deconstruction caused it to fall from grace when they decided to unwrap it.

Blog Entries

Yeah, I read that they experimented with season 9 because they figured the show was reaching the end of its run.

Needs attention Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I’m going to say 2. 1 is good and showed that it was going to be a different show, but 2 was what really showed that The Simpsons was going to stay and be huge. Bart Gets an F was the most watched episode of all time. 3 is great too, but I’d say the show had already established itself as a juggernaut by then.
    Favorite and least favorite by season
    1. Life on the Fast Lane Homer’s Night Out 2. Bart Gets an F Dead Putting Society 3. Homer at the Bat Like Father, Like Clown 4. Brother From the Same Planet Krusty Gets Kancelled 5. Cape Feare Lady Bouvier’s Lover 6. Homer Badman Another Simpsons Clip Show 7. King-Size Homer Lisa the Iconoclast 8. Homer’s Enemy The Simpsons Spin-Off Showcase 9. Bart Carny The Trouble With Trillions 10. Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo Homer Simpson in: “Kidney Trouble” 11. Guess Who’s Coming to Criticize Dinner? Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder 12. HOMЯ Tennis the Menace 13. Tales From the Public Domain She of Little Faith 14. The Dad Who Knew Too Little Helter Shelter 15. I, (Annoyed Grunt)-bot Bart-Mangled Banner 16. A Star is Torn On a Clear Day I Can’t See My Sister 17. My Fair Laddy Bonfire of the Manatees 18. The Haw-Hawed Couple You Kent Always Say What You Want 19. Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind All About Lisa 20. Gone Maggie Gone The Good, the Sad and the Drugly 21. The Bob Next Door The Color Yellow 22. Donnie Fatso Love is a Many Strangled Thing 23. The Falcon and the D’ohman A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again 24. Hardly Kirk-ing Moonshine River 25. The War of Art What to Expect When Bart’s Expecting 26. Sky Police Let’s Go Fly a Coot 27. Halloween of Horror Lisa With an ‘S’ 28. There Will Be Buds Moho House 29. Springfield Splendor Throw Grampa From the Dane 30. Daddicus Finch I Want You (She’s So Heavy) 31. Thanksgiving of Horror Warrin’ Priests (Part Two)

Blog Entries

Yeah, but the characters were more developed in season 3.

It's true that Bart Gets an 'F' is the most-watched episode of all-time, but behind that episode come Life on the Fast Lane second, The Crepes of Wrath third, Krusty Gets Busted fourth, and Homer's Night Out fifth. So, ratings are another point in favor of season one.

Blog Entries

Yeah, don't know what's up with that. I don't feel season 1 was when it was at peak popularity, does anybody know what was on before or any reasons why season 1 is the highest rated season?

Quote Originally Posted by ManuelMaiden95 View Post
    Is that so in Ireland though? I am from Argentina and my perception is people here mainly make references of the show from seasons 2 to 12. The only season that is less references is season 1.
    Ireland doesn't really have a consensus on the most influential seasons, the country in general would just have a consensus that every episode after Season 12 is definitely crap (which I strongly disagree with).

I was talking more about Western media and Western fan perceptions of the show in general, particularly from nations that natively speak English

I actually have to go with season 4 because its the first season that blends the realism of the first 3 years with the surrealism of the Mirkin era.

It was criticized at the time, but people today agree that that's what made the show amazing. People always argue about when the golden age began and ended. But every definition I've seen of it ALWAYS includes seasons 4-7, because it contains the perfect balance of the crazy and the grounded.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Abominable Dr. Lenny View Post
    Yeah, don't know what's up with that. I don't feel season 1 was when it was at peak popularity, does anybody know what was on before or any reasons why season 1 is the highest rated season?
    The Simpsons was something that the general public haven't seen been done since The Flintstones ended their time. The show was a hit, and there was more viewers on TV. Merch was selling well, and the show had a peak. But then the craze died down, and the show was losing viewers. In fact, apart from Hail Mary's Pass, no episode has met the same viewership Treehouse Of Horror IV had.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trab Pu Kcip View Post
    The Simpsons was something that the general public haven't seen been done since The Flintstones ended their time. The show was a hit, and there was more viewers on TV. Merch was selling well, and the show had a peak. But then the craze died down, and the show was losing viewers. In fact, apart from Hail Mary's Pass, no episode has met the same viewership Treehouse Of Horror IV had.
    But I would've figured season 3 ot 4 would've been the peak.

Blog Entries

After Bart Gets A F, viewers dropped. By a lot. The floodgates went after 100 episodes, but before that, viewers were nowhere meeting last year figures.

Thread Information