Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rating and reviewing some episodes of Family Guy

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Have you decided which you're going to watch in s 4 onward?
    Season 31 ratings

The Winter of Our Monetized Content: 3/5
    Go Big or Go Homer: 2/5
    The Fat Blue Line: 4/5
    Treehouse of Horror XXX: 3/5
    Gorillas on the Mast: 3.5/5
    Marge the Lumberjill: 2.5/5
    Livin La Pura Vida: 4.5/5
    Thanksgiving of Horror: 4.5/5
    Todd, Todd, Why Hast Thou Forsaken Me?: 4/5
    Bobby, It's Cold Outside: 4/5
    Hail to the Teeth: 1.5/5
    The Miseducation of Lisa Simpson: 3/5
    Frinkcoin: 2.5/5
    Bart the Bad Guy: 3/5
    Screenless: 3/5
    Better Off Ned: 4/5
    Highway to Well: 2.5/5
    The Incredible Lightness of Being a Baby: 3.5/5
    Warrin' Priests: 4/5
    Warrin' Priests Part 2: 1.5/5
    The Hateful Eight-Year-Olds: 4/5
    The Way of the Dog: 4/5

Season: 3.25/5

Quote Originally Posted by Szyslak100 View Post
    A HERO SITS NEXT DOOR (S01E05)

A neat surprise here. This is a decent episode with witty, practical story plenty of good plot-twist, with all decent characterizations, a great introduction of Joe Swanson, funny cutaways, and some irreverent jokes about controversial topics without sounding offensive. I can not ask especially when the best resource, Stewie, plays a minimum role in the story, yet a powerful one. I was beguiled by his addictions to the Teletubbies, it was so out-of-character (in a good way) that I actually laughed at this. Then, his obsession with the wheelchair is amusing, and his deranged reactions to every interaction between Lois and Bonnie are priceless. But the main story didn't need him. It was about Peter being jealous of his new neighbor because, apparently, his family, his boss, and his neighborhood prefer Joe to him. Hey, that's a good conflict. This time, the stupidity of Peter was funny instead of offensive, even with his most acid jokes, because here people reacted to his nonsensical negatively, unlike it happened in the previous episode. The sequence of the bank assault was so bizarre that I actually liked it a lot. Joe was a great character: his ability to play baseball, his story about how he saved Christmas (WTF with this thief?), and his speech to save the day. The ending feels a bit forced because nobody is going to choose Peter as his hero, not even his family – except for Michael Kwan, I loved his random cameo. The subplot of Meg was nothing but she failing in talk with Joe's son all the way up until the end of the episode, that's okay, I guess.
    4/5
    I also think the dynamic between Peter and Joe in this episode is sort of derivative of Homer and Neds dynamic.

Quote Originally Posted by Wile E. the Brain View Post
    And yeah the musical numbers are a part of this formula, and I personally enjoy that since I think Family Guy made several great musical numbers at their prime (this one isn't one of my favorites but still catchy and fun to listen to), Seth MacFarlane being one hell of a talented singer also helps. And I really like Peter in this episode, his reasons to act the way he does are understandable and it gives a heartfelt vibe about his relationship with Lois.
    Now that you mention it, I must clarify that I couldn't find the original version of Family Guy along with the subtitles in English, so I am watching the show dubbed into Latin Spanish and no matter how much effort they put in, the musicals always sound horrible if it's not in the original audio. So, I am probably not enjoying this.

It's a shame that I can not appreciate the work of Seth Macfarlane because I've always read compliments on his acting. The dubbing of Stewie is hilarious, at least.

Quote Originally Posted by The Abominable Dr. Lenny View Post
    Have you decided which you're going to watch in s 4 onward?
    Nope, no yet. I think the first thing I must decide is the number of episodes I want to watch by season. That number varies while I get into the show, depending on how much I am enjoying it.
    Last retrospective: Homer Defined (S03E05)

My project of rating and reviewing every episode of Rick and Morty (completed!)

My project of rating and reviewing every episode of BoJack Horseman (last episode: Hank After Dark)

Some great Family Guy songs...

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

My favorite Family Guy song
    The Central, King of Harts, American, family burger guy.

Blog Entries

that's the best song
    Fuck Donald Trump. #NotMyPresident

7. Thumbs Up To This Post by: orangemo

Blog Entries

from the best episode

9. Thumbs Up To This Post by: orangemo

Hilarious, but has the same melody as The FCC Song.
    Last edited by The Abominable Dr. Lenny; 08-10-2020 at 07:51 PM.

11. Thumbs Up To This Post by: orangemo

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by comeau View Post
    from the best episode
    ToonificTariq did a video on why that episode is his favorite of family guy.

Have Brain, Will Travel Wile E. the Brain's Avatar

Right now (but that can change anytime, it's not easy to chose one favorite Family Guy song) I think my favorite one is Christmas Time is Killing Us. Not the most cheerful one, that's for sure, but I really like the ominous tone and how it goes well with the greedy side of Christmas it wants to talk about. By far the best scene of this episode. The Freaking FCC is a close second.

Quote Originally Posted by Szyslak100 View Post
    Now that you mention it, I must clarify that I couldn't find the original version of Family Guy along with the subtitles in English, so I am watching the show dubbed into Latin Spanish and no matter how much effort they put in, the musicals always sound horrible if it's not in the original audio. So, I am probably not enjoying this.

It's a shame that I can not appreciate the work of Seth Macfarlane because I've always read compliments on his acting. The dubbing of Stewie is hilarious, at least.
    Okay, I understand, even though I guess that isn't the source of all your problems with this song (it's probably not the dub's fault if you found this song too stretched for its own good).
    It ate EVERYBODY, stupid !

The Winter of Our Monetized Content - 2/5 / Go Big or Go Homer - 2/5 / The Fat Blue Line - 3.5/5 / Treehouse of Horror XXX - 2.5/5 / Gorillas on the Mast - 3.5/5 / Marge the Lumberjill - 2/5 / Livin' la Pura Vida - 4/5 / Thanksgiving of Horror - 4/5 / Todd, Todd, Why Hast Thou Forsaken Me - 2.5/5 / Bobby, it's Cold Outside - 2.5/5 / Hail to the Teeth - 1.5/5 / The Miseducation of Lisa Simpson - 3.5/5 / Frinkcoin - 2/5 / Bart the Bad Guy - 4/5 / Screenless - 3.5/5 / Better Off Ned - 1.5/5 / Highway to Well - 3/5 / The Incredible Lightness of Being a Baby - 2/5 / Warrin' Priests: Part One - 3/5 / Warrin' Priests: Part Two - 2.5/5 / The Hateful Eight-Year-Olds - 3.5/5 / Way of the Dog - TBA

When it comes to favorite songs, I always had a soft spot for 'Can't Touch Me' from 'E. Peterbus Unum'. It is a spoof song (a take on 'U Can't Touch This', obviously), but it being a rip-off is intentional and makes sense in the context of the episode, plus it has some pretty amusing lyrics. Probably not my favorite overall, but it does come to my mind when I think of the songs of the show.

(Additionally, I see now I must've given the above post a thumbs up by accident).
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 08-11-2020 at 11:54 PM.

Thread Information