Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: Rating and reviewing some episodes of Family Guy

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Just chillin', dawg OldSchoolerSimpsons's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm with Sandurt on loving the Peanuts Reunion cutaway as well.

There's nothing wrong with making obvious jokes if they're executed well. Yes having Charlie Brown be a depressed drug addict might be an easy joke to make, but the way it's voice acted and executed is what makes it hilarious.

What makes Family Guy's humor such an acquired taste is the way it dares you to laugh at things that are "wrong". I love comedy which challenges boundaries, because to me it's very interesting to explore them, even if it's extremely lowbrow. There are several ways to do it of course, with Family Guy and South Park having their own unique approaches. I respect both a great deal, and consider them some of the most entertaining adult shows out there.

I think the reason Family Guy is so much more controversial than South Park in this regard though, despite the fact that I actually consider South Park to go much further with it (even Family Guy wouldn't have an entire episode playing out the same way as the one where Indiana Jones gets raped by Steven Spielberg and George Lucas) is that they don't have as much of a clearcut antagonist who you can obviously see is in the wrong. Instead the writers kinda divide the edgy jokes into many different characters, which can both be a source of comedy and a detriment (especially in later years). But even without a Cartman, I still think it's obvious most of the time that it's just a cartoonish satire of the crazy world we live in, and that the stereotypes used are just as tongue-in-cheek as on The Simpsons. They do go much further with them, but it's all still clearly in jest. They even have Jewish writers writing some of those berated Jew jokes.

In the end, I think just because one show might be seen as less clever than the other doesn't mean it has no place in the world of animation. South Park is one way to be an edgy comedy, but was never gonna be the only option, nor should it be.
    Last edited by OldSchoolerSimpsons; 09-16-2020 at 04:16 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by scully apologist;bt39949
    "KONY 2012"

2. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Sandurt

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Abominable Dr. Lenny View Post
    I just don't have any respect for this show anymore. It used to be my favorite show, but now I just can't watch it. Maybe it's just me maturing and developing different tastes. But this show, even in earlier seasons is one I'd deem terrible.
    I can still watch the earlier seasons, but it's also that I've become so fond of Bob's Burgers' style that I just can't really enjoy modern family guy anymore.
    The Central, King of Harts, American, family burger guy.

CROSSING SWORDS SEASON 1 3.5/10
    HOOPS SEASON 1 6.5/10
    DUNCANVILLE SEASON 1 6.5/10
    CENTRAL PARK SEASON 1 9/10
    CLOSE ENOUGH SEASON 1 8.5/10
    SOLAR OPPOSITES SEASON 1 8.5/10

Stonecutter The Abominable Dr. Lenny's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolerSimpsons View Post
    I'm with Sandurt on loving the Peanuts Reunion cutaway as well.

There's nothing wrong with making obvious jokes if they're executed well. Yes having Charlie Brown be a depressed drug addict might be an easy joke to make, but the way it's voice acted and executed is what makes it hilarious.

What makes Family Guy's humor such an acquired taste is the way it dares you to laugh at things that are "wrong". I love comedy which challenges boundaries, because to me it's very interesting to explore them, even if it's extremely lowbrow. There are several ways to do it of course, with Family Guy and South Park having their own unique approaches. I respect both a great deal, and consider them some of the most entertaining adult shows out there.

I think the reason Family Guy is so much more controversial than South Park in this regard though, despite the fact that I actually consider South Park to go much further with it (even Family Guy wouldn't have an entire episode playing out the same way as the one where Indiana Jones gets raped by Steven Spielberg and George Lucas) is that they don't have as much of a clearcut antagonist who you can obviously see is in the wrong. Instead the writers kinda divide the edgy jokes into many different characters, which can both be a source of comedy and a detriment (especially in later years). But even without a Cartman, I still think it's obvious most of the time that it's just a cartoonish satire of the crazy world we live in, and that the stereotypes used are just as tongue-in-cheek as on The Simpsons. They do go much further with them, but it's all still clearly in jest. They even have Jewish writers writing some of those berated Jew jokes.

In the end, I think just because one show might be seen as less clever than the other doesn't mean it has no place in the world of animation. South Park is one way to be an edgy comedy, but was never gonna be the only option, nor should it be.
    The execution is what made it so poor in my opinion. The delivery was just cringeworthy.

Thread Information