Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just how bad is modern Simpsons?

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Just how bad is modern Simpsons?

So basically everyone agrees with the general idea that The Simpsons isn't as good as it used to be. But there is disgareement on just how bad modern Simpsons is. Some say that the show is still better than most things on TV, some say the show is mediocre, and some say its terrible. Where do you stand?

Personally I think the show has been really fucking bad since 11. Ever since then it has been a show that for some god knows why reason struggles with simple storytelling. Even sitcom crap like Two and a Half men or How I Met Your Mother at least knows how to construct a basic narrative.

And since after season 20 or so, the show been absolute fucking horsehit. Honestly one of THE worst shows on television. The narratives somehow manages to be both incoherent and at the same time absolutely predictable, and the jokes are genuinly embarassing. Turn on any kids show on Nickelodeon or Cartoon Network and you're bound to see a higher quality of jokes than the ones on current Simpsons. The show is not just bad, it's godawful.

The show has been mediocre since season 11 which was the point in which it lost all connection to the classic era.
    I consider season 10 to be pretty mediocre but was the last one to have a few classic era vibes in some episodes.
    Season 11 was the point when there wasn't anything left.

However, the show still had two or three decent episodes per season (nothing comparable to the classic era of course) until about season 15 or 16.
    After that it's mostly just an awful show with just a few watchable episodes that would be mediocre if they aired during the classic era.
    I don't see anything that the modern era apologists see in some episodes. I've watched Holidays of Future Passed, Halloween of Horror, etc because of how much people were praising them and I only found them bland and forgettable.

I'd say until about season 16 it felt like the same show although pretty mediocre. After that it doesn't even feel like the same show.

I don't see any Jean renaissance either which is a concept that I only heard in this forum. Even the last two crappy Scully seasons are better than most of Jean if only because it still had a sense of vitality and it was actually trying to have its own style.
    I consider most of what Scully did to be crap but at least it felt like he was trying to put his own vision to the show.

Jean seasons feel like the equivalent of Mcdonald's if it were a TV show as other user here refered to modern Simpsons.
    It's a show that is on auto pilot and manufactures episodes as a can factory.

I don't know if it's better than most of television or not. I don't know how television is in the US. Probably it's not the worst thing because most of tv can be really awful, but it surely isn't better than most of it.

And even if it were, the argument is completely ridiculous. Just because it's better than shit doesn't mean it's worth watching.
    There are a lot of platforms like Netflix, HBO and so on with series a million times better than modern Simpsons. There are more than you could watch before having to resort to watch modern Simpsons.

And I agree, basically lots of random cartoon on Nickelodeon or Cartoon Networks is better than the Simpsons simply because they're better at what they're trying to be.
    Even cartoons I watched as a kid like Dexter's Laboratory or The Fairly Odd Parents (at least the first seasons) look like genius compared to modern Simpsons.

3. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Kangdos

My brain... OldSchoolerSimpsons's Avatar
    Blog Entries

For me it goes like this:

1-10: Fantastic. Some are stronger than others, but can't go wrong with anything from this era overall.
    11-14: Consistently very good.
    15: A sudden sharp decline.
    16: Bit of a rebound, and generally solid. Though still would put it below 11-14.
    17-21: Hit-and-miss, especially once you reach the early HD era.
    22-present: Total trainwreck.

As you can see, I'm pretty positive about the show until we reach season 15, which I where I think it destroyed its reputation. Homer framing Marge for drunk driving, the both of them neglecting their kids by leaving them at home in the dark, splitting Skinner and Edna up, rewriting Homer and Marge's first time meeting each other. Some pretty infruriating decisions which unfortunately influenced how it would be from now on, even if other seasons have more bad episodes in them. I'm almost being generous including 20 and 21 in the mediocre section since they are the only HD years I don't completely hate. But after that, all hope is lost forever. Now it's turned into one of the worst shows on television, and not just animated ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by scully apologist;bt39949
    "KONY 2012"

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolerSimpsons View Post
    Now it's turned into one of the worst shows on television, and not just animated ones.
    Yeah, it truly is. It's mindblowing how one of the absolute best shows on TV turned into one of the absolute worst.

Blog Entries

Well,

Season 1: An OK first Season
    Season 2-Wild Barts: Totally great seasons
    Sunday-12: A mess. Simply, they've hit a new low
    13-15: Could it be a return?
    16-18: No.
    19: It's inconsistent, but it's good
    20: Worser than Season 29, but not as bad as 11
    21-22: The show has been nuked.
    23: Good and Bad at the same time
    24-29: Not as bad as 11/21/22 but still bad
    30: Please end The Simpsons.
    31: An OK season, some good episodes, but a lot of bad ones.
    My Favorite and Least Favorite from every season. (Bold indicates all time favorite/least favorite of Tracey Ullman/30 Minute Simpsons)
    U1: Babysitting Maggie/Burp Contest, U2: Space Patrol/The Funeral, U3: The Bart Simpson Show/Bart's Nightmare, S1: Krusty Gets Busted/Homer's Odyssey, S2: Lisa's Substitute/Principal Charming, S3: Saturdays Of Thunder /Mr. Lisa Goes To Washington, S4: Homer The Heretic/Marge In Chains, S5: Deep Space Homer/Sweet Seymour Skinner's Badasssss Song, S6: Lisa's Rival/Another Simpsons Clip Show, S7: Bart Sells His Soul/Scenes From The Class Struggle In Springfield, S8: The Springfield Files/My Sister, My Sitter, S9: The City Of New York vs Homer Simpson/All Singing, All Dancing, S10:Lisa Gets An 'A'/When You Dish Upon A Star, S11: Behind The Laughter/Kill The Alligator And Run, S12: Trilogy Of Error/Simpson Safari, S13: I Am Furious (Yellow)/The Frying Game, S14: Bart vs Lisa vs The 3rd Grade/Helter Shelter, S15: I, (Annoyed Grunt) Bot and The Wandering Juvie/Bart Mangled Banner, S16: Don’t Fear The Roofer/On A Clear Day I Can’t See My Sister, S17: Girls Just Want To Have Sums/Bonfire Of The Manatees, S18: 24 Minutes/Rome-Old and Juli-Eh, S19: The Debarted/All About Lisa, S20: Coming To Homerica/Lisa The Drama Queen, S21: Homer The Whopper/The Greatest Story Ever D'ohed, S22: Homer The Father/The Great Simpsina, S23: Holidays Of Future Passed/Treehouse Of Horror XXII and Lisa Goes Gaga, S24: The Saga Of Carl/Love Is A Many Splintered Thing, S25: Steal This Episode/Diggs, S26: Simpsorama/The Musk Who Fell To Earth, S27: Barthood/Friend With Benefit, S28: The Town/The Cad And The Hat, S29: Flanders Ladder/Treehouse Of Horror XXVIII, S30: Baby You Can't Drive My Car/Treehouse Of Horror XXIX, S31: Highway To Well/Warrin' Priests, Both Parts.

Also running a survivor game. (Currently on Tribal Council 1.)

Blog Entries

honestly, anyone who says simpsons is one of the best/funniest shows on tv right now probably doesn't watch much tv. it hasn't been anywhere near one of the best shows on TV in years.

i used to be much more forgiving of the later seasons but that was when 'later' seasons meant like, 15-16... now 'later' could mean 20+. I've said before how I stopped watching during s23; seen some episodes after and I pretty much all caught up with the most recent season.

at its best, Modern Simpsons still has a few laughs here and there, but at its worst, it's just mind-numbingly dumb. looking at the screen, waiting for things to happen. waiting for something resembling a 'joke.'

I can still watch and tolerate most of the show up until about... season 20/21. but after that is when the mediocre/bad/downright awful outweighs the good/great. like I can't even remember the last episode I'd give a 5/5 too; Halloween of Horror, maybe? but I gave plenty of low grades to recent episodes.

8. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Kangdos

Blog Entries

Modern Simpsons suck because they're centering the series on Lisa, one of the least liked characters on the show. She has had the most centric episodes of Season 30 and 31, and with at least 3 Lisa Centric episodes for next year, the trend continues. They cannot put the focus on Marge as she's rarely in the spotlight. Homer's been Flanderized so he cannot be used and unless they fix him quick, then Bart's no use.

Generally, I can tolerate 21 out of 22 episodes by season, being generally an episode written by Tim Long, Ryan Koh, Joel Cohen, or Jeff Westbrook. There may be a second one too in some seasons. Another five or six episodes are hard to enjoy but are rescuable for some reason or another. That let me in a situation where I like 14 episodes by year in the worst scenario, 16 in the best one, which is not at all a bad number.

I am used to giving among 9 or 10 4/5 or 5/5 by year. Taking into account the countless limitations this show has (it was running for more than 30 years, it has a defined style, it is limited because of the status quo), I consider it a high cipher. I've given the perfect note to 9 out of the last 50 episodes (King Leer, Forgive and Regret, Flanders' Ladder, Daddicus Finch, I Am Dancing as Fat as I Can, Livin' La Pura Vida, Thanksgiving of Horror, Bart the Bad Guy, and The Way of Dog). I consider this ratio favorable. They are capable of great things in my opinion even if it is not a sure enjoyment as it might be, I don't know, Breaking Bad, BoJack Horseman or Better Call Saul, where every single episode is worthy.

This is just a mathematical analysis only about my personal appreciation of the show. I am not arguing why I like 10 episodes each year or who I dislike six (you can find it in the R&R threads of every episode of season 31 if you want to, as an example).

Not sure if I answered the question. But here I go: modern Simpsons is a good show but it has its bad episodes.
    Last retrospective: Homer Defined (S03E05)

My project of rating and reviewing every episode of Rick and Morty (completed!)

My project of rating and reviewing every episode of BoJack Horseman (last episode: Hank After Dark)

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm not sure how people can use the excuse that because the show was 30 years old it's okay to be a lesser show. I mean, if it's a lesser show then it should be cancelled. It's an even more laughable excuse when applied to other things. You don't see a doctor screwing up a surgery and then saying: "well, I've been a doctor for 30 years. That's a long time so give me a break!"

12. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Kangdos

It's kind of ridiculous to compare a bad episode of a show with a doctor screwing something up. It's nonsensical too because the pass of the time gives experience to a doctor but takes away possibilities to a show. But that's okay if you think that strengthens your opinion.

Although, I want to answer you: first of all, I've clearly said that I enjoy between 14 and 16 episodes per season. That's a fantastic number even if we don't take into account contexts. I am clearly disposed to watch seven bad episodes in exchange for 15 good. Second of all, if something, there is a more reasonable proposal instead of canceling the show that is making fewer episodes by season. Third of all, I've seen the last season Rick and Morty (just to put as an example one of the most acclaimed shows of the actuality) and even if they had the double of time to create half episodes than The Simpsons, they still have three episodes that are simply bad IMO so, if The Simpsons should be canceled, also Rick and Morty.

And lastly, I think The Simpsons isn't replaceable. That's a personal appreciation. But the happiness that gives me to know the background story of Mrs. Hoover, the sequels of the torment that lived Santa's Little Helper, or the growth of Bart and Lisa, are not comparable with the most fantastic masterpiece of any other show. For me, it's more interesting to watch the parody The Simpsons makes to Game of Thrones than Game of Thrones. I love the show not only because it was great. I think it's great nowadays. And I won't claim for the cancellation of the show because it has less good episodes than they had twenty-four years ago.

Blog Entries

I think the show definitely experienced a sharp decline about 22 years ago, but it’s still enjoyable and usually a pleasant 22 minutes. The only other show I watch is Bob’s Burgers, which also took a nosedive in its most recent season, but as that’s the only show I have to compare it to, The Simpsons seems OK to me still. There are for sure some elements that could stand to be fixed, such as long couch gags (Those make me angrier than anything in the show nowadays.) and list jokes, but while I don’t give the series a pass for being a shell of its previous self, I still think it’s moderately enjoyable on a good day.

Quote Originally Posted by Trab Pu Kcip View Post
    Homer’s been Flanderized so he cannot be used and unless they fix him quick, then Bart's no use.
    How has Homer been Flanderized? I’d say he’s one of the least Flanderized characters on the show. He still has multiple aspects to his personality.
    Favorite and least favorite by season
    1. Life on the Fast Lane Homer’s Night Out 2. Bart Gets an F Dead Putting Society 3. Homer at the Bat Like Father, Like Clown 4. Brother From the Same Planet Krusty Gets Kancelled 5. Cape Feare Lady Bouvier’s Lover 6. Homer Badman Another Simpsons Clip Show 7. King-Size Homer Lisa the Iconoclast 8. Homer’s Enemy The Simpsons Spin-Off Showcase 9. Bart Carny The Trouble With Trillions 10. Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo Homer Simpson in: “Kidney Trouble” 11. Guess Who’s Coming to Criticize Dinner? Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder 12. HOMЯ Tennis the Menace 13. Tales From the Public Domain She of Little Faith 14. The Dad Who Knew Too Little Helter Shelter 15. I, (Annoyed Grunt)-bot Bart-Mangled Banner 16. A Star is Torn On a Clear Day I Can’t See My Sister 17. My Fair Laddy Bonfire of the Manatees 18. The Haw-Hawed Couple You Kent Always Say What You Want 19. Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind All About Lisa 20. Gone Maggie Gone The Good, the Sad and the Drugly 21. The Bob Next Door The Color Yellow 22. Donnie Fatso Love is a Many Strangled Thing 23. The Falcon and the D’ohman A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again 24. Hardly Kirk-ing Moonshine River 25. The War of Art What to Expect When Bart’s Expecting 26. Sky Police Let’s Go Fly a Coot 27. Halloween of Horror Lisa With an ‘S’ 28. There Will Be Buds Moho House 29. Springfield Splendor Throw Grampa From the Dane 30. Daddicus Finch I Want You (She’s So Heavy) 31. Thanksgiving of Horror Warrin’ Priests (Part Two)

15. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Sandurt

I thought season 10 of Bob Burgers was a step-up in quality from season 9
    The Winter of Our Monetized Content C
    Go Big Or Go Homer B-
    The Fat Blue Line B
    Treehouse Of Horror XXX C+
    Gorillas On The Mast C+
    Marge The Lumberjill C-
    Livin La Pruda Vida A-
    Thanksgiving Of Horror A
    Bobby Its Cold Outside B
    Hail To The Teeth B-
    The Miseducation Of Lisa C+
    Frinkcoin B-
    Bart The Bad Guy B
    Screenless B-
    Better Off Ned D+
    Highway To Well B+
    Warrin Priest B+
    Warrin Priest Part 2 B-
    The Hateful Eight Year Olds B
    Way Of The Dog B+

Quote Originally Posted by Szyslak100 View Post
    It's kind of ridiculous to compare a bad episode of a show with a doctor screwing something up. It's nonsensical too because the pass of the time gives experience to a doctor but takes away possibilities to a show. But that's okay if you think that strengthens your opinion.

Although, I want to answer you: first of all, I've clearly said that I enjoy between 14 and 16 episodes per season. That's a fantastic number even if we don't take into account contexts. I am clearly disposed to watch seven bad episodes in exchange for 15 good. Second of all, if something, there is a more reasonable proposal instead of canceling the show that is making fewer episodes by season. Third of all, I've seen the last season Rick and Morty (just to put as an example one of the most acclaimed shows of the actuality) and even if they had the double of time to create half episodes than The Simpsons, they still have three episodes that are simply bad IMO so, if The Simpsons should be canceled, also Rick and Morty.

And lastly, I think The Simpsons isn't replaceable. That's a personal appreciation. But the happiness that gives me to know the background story of Mrs. Hoover, the sequels of the torment that lived Santa's Little Helper, or the growth of Bart and Lisa, are not comparable with the most fantastic masterpiece of any other show. For me, it's more interesting to watch the parody The Simpsons makes to Game of Thrones than Game of Thrones. I love the show not only because it was great. I think it's great nowadays. And I won't claim for the cancellation of the show because it has less good episodes than they had twenty-four years ago.
    While certainly your opinion is valid you have to understand that for many of us the show is basically unwatchable nowadays.
    You may find 15 good episodes in a season but the people who are calling for its cancellation certainly don't think that way.

About the last part of your answer, the fact that it isn't replaceable doesn't mean that it shouldn't end. That's a ridiculous statement.
    I'd wish my grandparents could live forever since they are not replaceable but they will still have to go someday.
    The Simpsons should end as did any other tv show in history.
    We're talking about a show that was already wrapping things up in season 8. It is insane that it went on for so long just because some fans can't let go.

Look at Seinfeld or Friends. They are still beloved shows and are still remembered.
    The Simpsons would have been the same if it had ended in the 90's. I would dare to say even more so because I consider the first 8 seasons to be one of the finest pieces of television ever crafted.

The reason people is so negative is because for most of us the show died a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by ManuelMaiden95 View Post
    While certainly your opinion is valid you have to understand that for many of us the show is basically unwatchable nowadays.
    You may find 15 good episodes in a season but the people who are calling for its cancellation certainly don't think that way.

About the last part of your answer, the fact that it isn't replaceable doesn't mean that it shouldn't end. That's a ridiculous statement.
    I'd wish my grandparents could live forever since they are not replaceable but they will still have to go someday.
    We're talking about a show that was already wrapping things up in season 8. It is insane that it went on for so long just because some fans can't let go.

Look at Seinfeld or Friends. They are still beloved shows and are still remembered.
    The Simpsons would have been the same if it had ended in the 90's. I would dare to say even more so because I consider the first 8 seasons to be one of the finest pieces of television ever crafted.

The reason people is so negative is because for most of us the show died a long time ago.
    I forgot to mention but I answered directly to Patches because he was referring to my commentary. I know that probably nobody agrees with me regarding the number of good episodes and I can respect you if you don't like at all the show and don't want to watch It (although I will never understand why to ask for a cancellation instead of just stop watching it – I mean, why do you still watch a show that you think died twenty years ago).

The statement of the show being irreplaceable doesn't have a sense if you don't like it anymore. If the show ended in season 8, Artie Ziff would not come back, Moe and Maggie would never interact, there wouldn't be a parody to Inception, Carl would not have a defined origin, we would not know Ol' Gil. Sure, maybe that means nothing to you. I want to know The Simpsons universe in-depth and there is always something to discover. And no, I don't have problems if it never ends. We are getting a Hoover-centric episode soon. For you is probably a symptom of their lack of ideas, for me is very exciting. Maybe you are tired of the show, maybe it pales in comparison with the classic era, maybe you get mad at the rehashing. My point is that I don't want to let it go because a show like The Simpsons always has something to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Szyslak100 View Post
    I forgot to mention but I answered directly to Patches because he was referring to my commentary. I know that probably nobody agrees with me regarding the number of good episodes and I can respect you if you don't like at all the show and don't want to watch It (although I will never understand why to ask for a cancellation instead of just stop watching it – I mean, why do you still watch a show that you think died twenty years ago).

The statement of the show being irreplaceable doesn't have a sense if you don't like it anymore. If the show ended in season 8, Artie Ziff would not come back, Moe and Maggie would never interact, there wouldn't be a parody to Inception, Carl would not have a defined origin, we would not know Ol' Gil. Sure, maybe that means nothing to you. I want to know The Simpsons universe in-depth and there is always something to discover. And no, I don't have problems if it never ends. We are getting a Hoover-centric episode soon. For you is probably a symptom of their lack of ideas, for me is very exciting. Maybe you are tired of the show, maybe it pales in comparison with the classic era, maybe you get mad at the rehashing. My point is that I don't want to let it go because a show like The Simpsons always has something to do.
    I'm not one of those necessarily calling for cancellation nowadays.
    Yes, I'd like the show to have a final season and a special final episode at some point in the future, I'd like to watch that final episode even if I don't care for the show since a long time ago.

But I'm not necessarily calling for cancellation because I think it doesn't change anything at this point.
    The show should ideally have finished in season 8 or 9 and it had another opportunity to call it quits around the time when the movie came out.
    Now we're in season 32 and it's basically the same if it continues or not.

I wouldn't like them to continue past their original creators and voice actors though.

Even I gave up on the show somewhere around season 23, and Stockholm syndrome had me in a headlock for years.

These days, it's decent/kinda good at its absolute best, mediocre the majority of time, and absolutely awful for the rest. Definitely not worth the effort to watch, because there's minimal effort in the product itself outside of the animation (which lacks the quirks that gave so much character to the early seasons).

At the show's peak, it stood in opposition to the culture while impacting it significantly. Over time, its diminishing quality led to an erosion of its influence and, eventually, a giant rift between the show and popular culture, which now manifests in awful pop culture references and embarrassingly out of touch message episodes like Bart vs. Itchy & Scratchy.

This wouldn't be a huge issue, but the characters at the show's core have drifted so far from what made them great that it's uncanny and unenjoyable to watch. Lisa was once my favorite character, melancholy and soulful as she was, but sometime during the Scully era she became a parody of herself. Homer became an actively terrible person. Marge is walking cringe, especially with Kavner's voice going to shit. Bart is whatever the story needs him to be. Mr. Burns is a toothless setup for painful physical humor. And so on.

In an era when we are inundated with media and there is no shortage of streaming/cable TV options, animation or otherwise, asking whether or not modern Simpsons holds up to the average show seems like the wrong approach to the issue. Instead, one should ask whether your limited TV time should include modern Simpsons when you could be watching so many other great things. For me, the answer is no.

21. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Kangdos

Blog Entries

I finally swore off the show for good after seeing Treehouse Of Horror XXX, but got unlucky and saw Bart The Bad Guy when it played on TV at mom's. Now I'm 100% finished though.

It's not that bad. It's still entertaining and funny. I'll continue watching until it ends. I can't imagine actually never watching the newer episodes.
    Season 31 ratings

The Winter of Our Monetized Content: 3/5
    Go Big or Go Homer: 2/5
    The Fat Blue Line: 4/5
    Treehouse of Horror XXX: 3/5
    Gorillas on the Mast: 3.5/5
    Marge the Lumberjill: 2.5/5
    Livin La Pura Vida: 4.5/5
    Thanksgiving of Horror: 4.5/5
    Todd, Todd, Why Hast Thou Forsaken Me?: 4/5
    Bobby, It's Cold Outside: 4/5
    Hail to the Teeth: 1.5/5
    The Miseducation of Lisa Simpson: 3/5
    Frinkcoin: 2.5/5
    Bart the Bad Guy: 3/5
    Screenless: 3/5
    Better Off Ned: 4/5
    Highway to Well: 2.5/5
    The Incredible Lightness of Being a Baby: 3.5/5
    Warrin' Priests: 4/5
    Warrin' Priests Part 2: 1.5/5
    The Hateful Eight-Year-Olds: 4/5
    The Way of the Dog: 4/5

Season: 3.25/5

Quote Originally Posted by ManuelMaiden95 View Post

Yeah, but if your grandparents were still healthy and functioning well would you just shoot them because they have to die sometime?

I don't find modern 'Simpsons' as bad as it is made out to be. It is very flawed, uneven and incredibly inferior to it's classic and golden years, but I don't see this monstrously awful modern variant as so many others do. Even with all its missteps and misfires, I think it is still a fairly decent show overall (still with some pretty good episodes & nuggets here and there), just not great at all anymore (though it still feels they at least try a lot of the time, even if the end result doesn't always succeed so well). It's just so terribly inconsistent.

I still do get at least some enjoyment out of it so that is why I keep watching. As I've said before, I still don't feel it has gotten that unwatchably bad yet (when it does, I will stop watching for sure). I do think it's a good time for it to wrap up soon, though. Not even a show that is still good should run for as long as this one has done.
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 08-03-2020 at 02:15 PM.

Have Brain, Will Travel Wile E. the Brain's Avatar

As much as I want the show to stop and as bland as the HD era can be in my opinion, I would never say modern Simpsons is godawful and certainly not one of the worst shows on current television. I personally believe there are quite a number of shows that feel even lazier or more insulting than the HD era of the Simpsons can ever be. Of course, current Simpsons will never be as clever, ingenious, funny and well-written as the "golden age" was, but for what it is, I've seen much, much worse. My main problem with the modern era is that, for the most part, it's just... here. It exists, and that's pretty much it. But there are episodes where I can actually feel there was effort put into it (of course most of the Selman ones), some good surprises and sometimes some smart episodes, and overall it doesn't seem to me like they totally gave up on the show which is still watchable without being as outstanding as it was (and despite some obvious and big stinkers).

So yeah, to me, currently, the show isn't THAT bad. I don't know if it's the comparison to the "golden age" that makes some people thinking it's now one of the worst things on television but in my opinion, it's far from it. But I think we can all agree that the sooner the show will finally end, the better.
    Last edited by Wile E. the Brain; 08-03-2020 at 05:50 AM.

Blog Entries

It's not the comparison to the golden age. The writing is simply too awful in general to ignore.

The Simpsons is entering its 32nd season. Think about that for a moment. People still enjoy the show, and when it inevitably ends, people will remember it by the golden age, not the later episodes. That's true regardless of whether it goes on for another 5, 10, or 15 years. The way I look at it, they really can't do anything more to hurt its legacy, so as long as it's still widely enjoyed and people are still watching, why should it end?

Blog Entries

Modern Simpsons has a lot of issues but I don't think its ruining the show to the point that its currently the worst show still airing. If classic Simpsons is a 10/10 than modern Simpsons would be like a 6/10. I've seen way worse shows but they don't usually make it past the first or second season. I'd say modern Family Guy is still way worse, while modern Simpsons can get boring with a bad episode at least it isn't as cringeworthy as most bad FG episodes end up being. South Park, American Dad and Bob's Burgers are some of my current favorite animated shows but even they have seen some decline.

I did like quite a lot of episodes from the latest seasons. There were hardly any cringeworthy episodes either, luckily not on the same level of episodes like Lisa Goes Gaga or The Musk Who Fell To Earth. The better episodes still get a lot of work put into it and some of the animation is outstanding. Its not on the level of the classic era but on their own they are still fine.
    Episodes rated best and worst from each season:
    1: Krusty Gets Busted/Homer's Night Out 2: The Way We Was/Bart's Dog Gets an F 3: Colonel Homer/Dog of Death 4: Marge vs. The Monorail/So It's Come to This: A Simpsons Clip Show 5: Cape Feare/Bart Gets An Elephant 6: Treehouse of Horror V/Another Simpsons Clip Show 7: Mother Simpson/Homerpalooza 8: You Only Move Twice/The Canine Mutiny 9: Lisa's Sax/The Two Mrs. Nahasapeemapetilons 10: Lisa Gets an A/Sunday Cruddy Sunday 11: Behind The Laughter/Beyond Blunderdome 12: Trilogy of Error/The Computer Wore Menace Shoes 13: I Am Furious Yellow/Homer the Moe 14: The Dad Who Knew Too Little/Large Marge 15: The Way We Weren't/Diatribe of a Mad Housewife 16: Thank God Its Doomsday/Mommie Beerest 17: Marge's Son Poisoning/Bonfire of the Manatees 18: Marge Gamer/Revenge is Best Served Three Times 19: Treehouse of Horror XVIII/That 90's Show 20: Gone Maggie Gone/Coming To Homerica 21: O Brother, Where Bart thou?/The Devil Wears Nada 22: Homer Scissorhands/The Fool Monty 23: Holidays of Future Passed/Moe Goes From Rags To Riches 24: Adventures In Baby-Getting/Whiskey Business 25: Brick Like Me/White Christmas Blues 26: Bart's New Friend/The Musk Who Fell to Earth 27: Halloween of Horror/Every Man's Dream 28: There Will Be Buds/Moho House 29: Gone Boy/Throw Grampa from the Dane

I sometimes find it difficult to describe the state of modern Simpsons without it sounding like an intentional exageration. But I'm honestly not exagerating when I say that modern Simpsons is one of THE worst shows on TV. It's a pile of bleeding donkey shit with monkey cum on top.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaine View Post
    Modern Simpsons has a lot of issues but I don't think its ruining the show to the point that its currently the worst show still airing. If classic Simpsons is a 10/10 than modern Simpsons would be like a 6/10. I've seen way worse shows but they don't usually make it past the first or second season. I'd say modern Family Guy is still way worse, while modern Simpsons can get boring with a bad episode at least it isn't as cringeworthy as most bad FG episodes end up being. South Park, American Dad and Bob's Burgers are some of my current favorite animated shows but even they have seen some decline.

I did like quite a lot of episodes from the latest seasons. There were hardly any cringeworthy episodes either, luckily not on the same level of episodes like Lisa Goes Gaga or The Musk Who Fell To Earth. The better episodes still get a lot of work put into it and some of the animation is outstanding. Its not on the level of the classic era but on their own they are still fine.
    I agree with almost everything you said, except I don't think south park is on the decline, it's better than ever and I really enjoy the serialized storylines season by season. I think it helps it stay fresh.

Quote Originally Posted by The Abominable Dr. Lenny View Post
    The Simpsons is entering its 32nd season. Think about that for a moment. People still enjoy the show, and when it inevitably ends, people will remember it by the golden age, not the later episodes. That's true regardless of whether it goes on for another 5, 10, or 15 years. The way I look at it, they really can't do anything more to hurt its legacy, so as long as it's still widely enjoyed and people are still watching, why should it end?
    This is the problem with modern Simpsons apologists. They realize and will admit that the show is a shadow of its former self but will defend the show because bad Simpsons is better than no Simpsons.

You know what happens to a show when it declines so badly? It gets cancelled, as simple as that. The relationship some fans have with the show that they can't let it go no matter what is very toxic. It reminds me of those crazy fans who stalk celebrities.

You even admit that when the show finally ends it will be remembered by its classic era. I agree with that, but it's a crazy thing to admit and it should be obvious by it that the show should end.
    Basically it's like a composer saying that every album he'll release in the future won't be remembered or have any importance to his legacy.
    It's admitting that modern Simpsons is not about art since a long time ago.

Blog Entries

The only time I'm a MSA is when I want Allison to have another line, or when a very promising episode is coming up.

Blog Entries

What does MSA mean?

Blog Entries

Modern Simpsons Apologist.

Thread Information