View Poll Results: Which Golden Era Season Is Better: Season 5 OR Season 7?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Season 5

7 38.89%
  • Season 7

11 61.11%

Thread: Which Golden Era Season Is Better: Season 5 OR Season 7?

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Which Golden Era Season Is Better: Season 5 OR Season 7?

And why? Discuss.

Blog Entries

It isn't even a contest. Season 7 was funny throughout with underrated gems like Radioactive Man and beautiful episodes like King Sized Homer, Summer of 4ft 2, Bart Sells His Soul and Lisa The Vegetarian.
    Season 5 has Deep Space Homer, but that's the last episode that season that I like (bar Homer Loves Flanders and Burns' Heir). The ending of the season was weak, with forgettable episodes like Bart Gets An Elephant and Lady's Bouvier's Lover. However you have a solid start of a season, that eclipses Season 7's, but the ending undoes all the hard work. Season 7 is my winner.
    My Favorite and Least Favorite from every season. (Bold indicates all time favorite/least favorite of Tracey Ullman/30 Minute Simpsons)
    U1: Babysitting Maggie/Burp Contest, U2: Space Patrol/The Funeral, U3: The Bart Simpson Show/Bart's Nightmare, S1: Krusty Gets Busted/Homer's Odyssey, S2: Lisa's Substitute/Principal Charming, S3: Saturdays Of Thunder /Mr. Lisa Goes To Washington, S4: Homer The Heretic/Marge In Chains, S5: Deep Space Homer/Sweet Seymour Skinner's Badasssss Song, S6: Lisa's Rival/Another Simpsons Clip Show, S7: Bart Sells His Soul/Scenes From The Class Struggle In Springfield, S8: The Springfield Files/My Sister, My Sitter, S9: The City Of New York vs Homer Simpson/All Singing, All Dancing, S10:Lisa Gets An 'A'/When You Dish Upon A Star, S11: Behind The Laughter/Kill The Alligator And Run, S12: Trilogy Of Error/Simpson Safari, S13: I Am Furious (Yellow)/The Frying Game, S14: Bart vs Lisa vs The 3rd Grade/Helter Shelter, S15: I, (Annoyed Grunt) Bot and The Wandering Juvie/Bart Mangled Banner, S16: Don’t Fear The Roofer/On A Clear Day I Can’t See My Sister, S17: Girls Just Want To Have Sums/Bonfire Of The Manatees, S18: 24 Minutes/Rome-Old and Juli-Eh, S19: The Debarted/All About Lisa, S20: Coming To Homerica/Lisa The Drama Queen, S21: Homer The Whopper/The Greatest Story Ever D'ohed, S22: Homer The Father/The Great Simpsina, S23: Holidays Of Future Passed/Treehouse Of Horror XXII and Lisa Goes Gaga, S24: The Saga Of Carl/Love Is A Many Splintered Thing, S25: Steal This Episode/Diggs, S26: Simpsorama/The Musk Who Fell To Earth, S27: Barthood/Friend With Benefit, S28: The Town/The Cad And The Hat, S29: Flanders Ladder/Treehouse Of Horror XXVIII, S30: Baby You Can't Drive My Car/Treehouse Of Horror XXIX, S31: Highway To Well/Warrin' Priests, Both Parts.

Also running a survivor game. (Currently on Tribal Council 1.)

I find season 5 to be a bit more consistent, but 7 has higher highs. I'll still give it to 5 though.
    Season 31 ratings

The Winter of Our Monetized Content: 3/5
    Go Big or Go Homer: 2/5
    The Fat Blue Line: 4/5
    Treehouse of Horror XXX: 3/5
    Gorillas on the Mast: 3.5/5
    Marge the Lumberjill: 2.5/5
    Livin La Pura Vida: 4.5/5
    Thanksgiving of Horror: 4.5/5
    Todd, Todd, Why Hast Thou Forsaken Me?: 4/5
    Bobby, It's Cold Outside: 4/5
    Hail to the Teeth: 1.5/5
    The Miseducation of Lisa Simpson: 3/5
    Frinkcoin: 2.5/5
    Bart the Bad Guy: 3/5
    Screenless: 3/5
    Better Off Ned: 4/5
    Highway to Well: 2.5/5
    The Incredible Lightness of Being a Baby: 3.5/5
    Warrin' Priests: 4/5
    Warrin' Priests Part 2: 1.5/5
    The Hateful Eight-Year-Olds: 4/5
    The Way of the Dog: 4/5

Season: 3.25/5

Season 7. Both are terrific seasons but I actually find season 5 to be below the seasons that came before it, except for season 1.
    It's an amazing season don't get me wrong, but I find season 7 to be more consistent. It doesn't have any weak episode like Bart Gets an Elephant for example.
    Two Bad Neighbours and Homerpalooza are usually considered to be the weakest ones and they're still pretty good.

Season 7 also has more variety. Season 5 has the better Sideshow Bob episode though.

My favorites seasons, I know the answer but let's begin with the grades :

Season 5 :

Excellent
    Cape Feare
    Rosebud
    Homer Loves Flanders
    The Boy Who Knew Too Much

Very Good
    Homer Goes to College
    Treehouse of Horror IV
    Marge on the Lam
    Boy-Scoutz 'n the Hood
    $pringfield
    Homer the Vigilante
    Deep Space Homer
    Bart Gets an Elephant
    Burns' Heir
    Sweet Seymour Skinner's Baadasssss Song
    Lady Bouvier's Lover
    Secrets of a Successful Marriage

Good
    Homer's Barbershop Quartet
    Homer and Apu

Correct
    Bart's Inner Child
    The Last Temptation of Homer
    Bart Gets Famous
    Lisa vs. Malibu Stacy

Season 7 :

Excellent
    Who Shot Mr. Burns? (Part 2)
    Lisa the Vegetarian
    King-Size Homer
    Mother Simpson
    Homer the Smithers
    22 Short Films About Springfield

Very Good
    Radioactive Man
    Home Sweet Homediddly-Dum-Doodily
    Bart Sells His Soul
    Treehouse of Horror VI
    Marge Be Not Proud
    Team Homer
    Two Bad Neighbors
    A Fish Called Selma
    Bart on the Road
    Raging Abe Simpson and His Grumbling Grandson in "The Curse of the Flying Hellfish"
    Summer of 4 ft. 2

Good
    Sideshow Bob's Last Gleaming
    The Simpsons 138th Episode Spectacular
    Bart the Fink
    Lisa the Iconoclast
    Much Apu About Nothing

Correct
    Scenes from the Class Struggle in Springfield
    The Day the Violence Died
    Homerpalooza

The weakest episodes of season 5 make that season 7 wins, but it's close. Both are in my Top 3 of the best seasons of The Simpsons, and no medium or bad episodes in these too. The humour is near the perfection, with some good plots.
    I always have the feeling that season 7 was the most balance and consistent season of all, because everyone can like it.

My brain... OldSchoolerSimpsons's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Season 5. 7 has more heart, but 5 is one of the funniest of the entire show.
    Quote Originally Posted by scully apologist;bt39949
    "KONY 2012"

Blog Entries

Another tough question for me. We have to very funny seasons that I like very much, but I get to choose only one of them. What a shame!

Season 5 is one of the funniest seasons of the show, no doubt about that, with many golden episodes ("Cape Fear", "Treehouse Of Horror IV", "Bart Gets Famous", "Burns' Heir" etc.), some of my favourite satirical episodes of all time ("Lisa vs Malibu Stacy" and "Deep Space Homer"), explores new character relationships, along with Homer and Marge's ("Secrets Of A Successful Marriage", "Lady Bouvier's Lover" etc.) and introduces beloved one-time characters ("Marge On the Lam" and "The Last Temptation Of Homer").

Season 7, although not as funny as season 5, reaches new heights by making some great social commentary episodes ("Summer Of 4 Ft. 2", "Mother Simpson", "Lisa The Vegetarian", "King-size Homer" etc.), has some funny episodes ("Treehouse Of Horror VI", "Homer The Smithers", "The Day The Violence Died", "Bart On The Road" etc.) and has some really interesting plolines ("Raging Abe Simpson and his Rambling Grandson in: The Curse Of The Flying Helfish", "Much Apu About Nothing", "22 Short Films About Springfield" etc.)

I was originally going to vote for season 7, but then I realised that I prefer season 5 and David Mirkin's style much more. It balances all the elements so greatly that it can make me laugh and cry!

My favorite season of the entire show is either 6 or 7 (I can never decide which one), so in regards to the question, I say 7.

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

IMO, S7 is the best odd numbered season between S1-S10.
    Well, ya'know if you stay positive and forget about trivial things like "proper characterization," "Satire," and "emotional depth" watching new Simpsons episodes can be a seemingly enjoyable lie.

I tried watching a new episode the Simpsons, but I realized the show hit a new low, like a brand new, underground parking structure of sadness.

Blog Entries

Along with 3, then, yep.

Have Brain, Will Travel Wile E. the Brain's Avatar

By a small margin, I'd say season 7, which has not a single episode that I don't like, even my least favorite one (Sideshow Bob's Last Gleaming, a bit too wacky for my taste and not particularly clever plot-wise) is still fine enough. As for the season itself, like it was said, it has a solid balance of pretty much everything that makes The Simpsons so good. A lot of humor, a lot of heart, great social commentary, creative and various concepts, well-executed silliness... Season 5 is also a great season, David Mirkin's style is so well-handled and it has probably some of the best animation of the whole series, with a top-notch expressiveness (thanks to artists such as Silverman and Reardon). And it has my favorite Treehouse of Horror episode of all. But like I said, tough choice but I'd go with season 7, especially since it has some overlooked episodes in my opinion (Raging Abe Simpson..., A Fish Called Selma).
    It ate EVERYBODY, stupid !

The Winter of Our Monetized Content - 2/5 / Go Big or Go Homer - 2/5 / The Fat Blue Line - 3.5/5 / Treehouse of Horror XXX - 2.5/5 / Gorillas on the Mast - 3.5/5 / Marge the Lumberjill - 2/5 / Livin' la Pura Vida - 4/5 / Thanksgiving of Horror - 4/5 / Todd, Todd, Why Hast Thou Forsaken Me - 2.5/5 / Bobby, it's Cold Outside - 2.5/5 / Hail to the Teeth - 1.5/5 / The Miseducation of Lisa Simpson - 3.5/5 / Frinkcoin - 2/5 / Bart the Bad Guy - 4/5 / Screenless - 3.5/5 / Better Off Ned - 1.5/5 / Highway to Well - 3/5 / The Incredible Lightness of Being a Baby - 2/5 / Warrin' Priests: Part One - 3/5 / Warrin' Priests: Part Two - 2.5/5 / The Hateful Eight-Year-Olds - 3.5/5 / Way of the Dog - TBA

Season 7, fairly easily. Like I've said many times before, on top of being part of the show's peak it truly has everything I could wish for from the series: Great plots, excellent humor, fantastic emotional content and drama & a diverse selection of colorful stories featuring various characters, both main and secondary. Also, the Oakley & Weinstein style of a return to a more of a down-to-earth tone (akin to season 3) coupled with their unique brand of absurdism and slight exaggeration in places (that makes their two seasons stand out) is a clear winner in my book. Some episodes work less well than others, but pretty much all of them are enjoyable in one way or the other (even an unpopular one like 'Homerpalooza').

Season 5 is a great one too and is one of the consistently most funny seasons, but it falls a little short compared to 6 (which is when I felt Mirkin really got a grasp of the series and even added in more drama and emotion to go along with his cartoonish, wacky approach). Also, as well handled and funny as it is, I always kinda felt it started to run out of steam in the last 1/4th (unlike 6, 7 & even 8, that all felt more even). In the end, there is no contest between it and 7 to me: The O&W season just works better overall (and is my pick for the best season), but I can perfectly see the reasoning for preferring 5. Had this been between 6 & 7, it would have been trickier for me, but 7 would've probably won in the end.

Thread Information