Do you find it ironic that the Simpsons received more Emmy nominations after it stopped being good?

I find it ironic and sad that the show has received much more nominations and awards after it stopped being good, creative and relevant but during its Golden era it was just nominated a few times.

For me it goes to show how little this awards actually mean. They will give an award to any show with a long standing legacy despite of quality. But when the show was truly good they didn't feel like it, perhaps they didn't even consider it to be that good at the time.
    Just like the Grammys it's another big fraud.

The only awards I respect are the Oscars. Yes, they do have their share of problems but are the only awards that look beyond popularity or legacy and actually care about quality most of the time.

I agree it is ironic. It absolutely blows away that Mad About The Toy beat Free Churo from Bojack like what the hell? If they win again this year against Bojack life has lost all meaning.
    The Winter of Our Monetized Content C
    Go Big Or Go Homer B-
    The Fat Blue Line B
    Treehouse Of Horror XXX C+
    Gorillas On The Mast C+
    Marge The Lumberjill C-
    Livin La Pruda Vida A-
    Thanksgiving Of Horror A
    Bobby Its Cold Outside B
    Hail To The Teeth B-
    The Miseducation Of Lisa C+
    Frinkcoin B-
    Bart The Bad Guy B
    Screenless B-
    Better Off Ned D+
    Highway To Well B+
    Warrin Priest B+
    Warrin Priest Part 2 B-
    The Hateful Eight Year Olds B
    Way Of The Dog B+

3. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Liks, Tilly

Blog Entries

I do find it ironic. When 'Mad About The Toy', one of the weakest Season 30 went to emmys and won, I was shocked.
    My Favorite and Least Favorite from every season. (Bold indicates all time favorite/least favorite of Tracey Ullman/30 Minute Simpsons)
    U1: Babysitting Maggie/Burp Contest, U2: Space Patrol/The Funeral, U3: The Bart Simpson Show/Bart's Nightmare, S1: Krusty Gets Busted/Homer's Odyssey, S2: Lisa's Substitute/Principal Charming, S3: Saturdays Of Thunder /Mr. Lisa Goes To Washington, S4: Homer The Heretic/Marge In Chains, S5: Deep Space Homer/Sweet Seymour Skinner's Badasssss Song, S6: Lisa's Rival/Another Simpsons Clip Show, S7: Bart Sells His Soul/Scenes From The Class Struggle In Springfield, S8: The Springfield Files/My Sister, My Sitter, S9: The City Of New York vs Homer Simpson/All Singing, All Dancing, S10:Lisa Gets An 'A'/When You Dish Upon A Star, S11: Behind The Laughter/Kill The Alligator And Run, S12: Trilogy Of Error/Simpson Safari, S13: I Am Furious (Yellow)/The Frying Game, S14: Bart vs Lisa vs The 3rd Grade/Helter Shelter, S15: I, (Annoyed Grunt) Bot and The Wandering Juvie/Bart Mangled Banner, S16: Don’t Fear The Roofer/On A Clear Day I Can’t See My Sister, S17: Girls Just Want To Have Sums/Bonfire Of The Manatees, S18: 24 Minutes/Rome-Old and Juli-Eh, S19: The Debarted/All About Lisa, S20: Coming To Homerica/Lisa The Drama Queen, S21: Homer The Whopper/The Greatest Story Ever D'ohed, S22: Homer The Father/The Great Simpsina, S23: Holidays Of Future Passed/Treehouse Of Horror XXII and Lisa Goes Gaga, S24: The Saga Of Carl/Love Is A Many Splintered Thing, S25: Steal This Episode/Diggs, S26: Simpsorama/The Musk Who Fell To Earth, S27: Barthood/Friend With Benefit, S28: The Town/The Cad And The Hat, S29: Flanders Ladder/Treehouse Of Horror XXVIII, S30: Baby You Can't Drive My Car/Treehouse Of Horror XXIX, S31: Highway To Well/Warrin' Priests, Both Parts.

Also running a survivor game. (Currently on Tribal Council 1.)

5. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Liks, Sandurt, Tilly

Nah, I think The Simpsons has every year competent material to submit and they deserve to be, I don't know if nominated because I don't watch many of other shows, but at least considered. If the post-classic era has more nominations is because the producers back in seasons 4 and 5 committed an error submitting their episodes in the comedy category instead of doing it in animation.

That doesn't mean that I don't disagree with many episodes submitted, or that some episodes didn't deserve their winner (Three Gays of a Condo won over Jurassic Bark, IIRC). But in terms of nomination, I think they deserve to be there every year.
    Last retrospective: Homer Defined (S03E05)

My project of rating and reviewing every episode of Rick and Morty (completed!)

My project of rating and reviewing every episode of BoJack Horseman (last episode: Hank After Dark)

Since it has not stopped being good, I am not sure what you mean.

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

Given that the only year in which The Simpsons was not nominated for an Emmy for animated program in the years in which it was entered in that category was 2014 (which the show submitted "Brick Like Me" - note that The LEGO Movie wasn't nominated for the Animated Feature Film Oscar, either), I don't understand the question. The only two years in the 1990s when the show was not nominated for an Emmy were when it was entered in the Comedy Series category rather than the Animated Program one.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDuffBlimp View Post
    Since it has not stopped being good, I am not sure what you mean.
    Yes sure, and the British Empire is still the biggest Empire on earth.

It definitely should have been nominated for Outstanding Comedy Series back in the 1990s, but it wasn't taken seriously because it was animated. There were a few years where it didn't win in the animation category, either.

Even now, the Emmys don't respect animation enough to have it compete with live-action shows. Modern Family (a show I'm a fan of) won five straight years but American Dad couldn't even get a nomination during that time?

the show has been "bad" longer than it's been good, maybe even twice as long, so it makes sense.. look at the grammies, winning an award is not a seal of quality.

I guess it technically qualifies as ironic, given the dictionary definition, but in a practical sense, no.
    Season 31 ratings

The Winter of Our Monetized Content: 3/5
    Go Big or Go Homer: 2/5
    The Fat Blue Line: 4/5
    Treehouse of Horror XXX: 3/5
    Gorillas on the Mast: 3.5/5
    Marge the Lumberjill: 2.5/5
    Livin La Pura Vida: 4.5/5
    Thanksgiving of Horror: 4.5/5
    Todd, Todd, Why Hast Thou Forsaken Me?: 4/5
    Bobby, It's Cold Outside: 4/5
    Hail to the Teeth: 1.5/5
    The Miseducation of Lisa Simpson: 3/5
    Frinkcoin: 2.5/5
    Bart the Bad Guy: 3/5
    Screenless: 3/5
    Better Off Ned: 4/5
    Highway to Well: 2.5/5
    The Incredible Lightness of Being a Baby: 3.5/5
    Warrin' Priests: 4/5
    Warrin' Priests Part 2: 1.5/5
    The Hateful Eight-Year-Olds: 4/5
    The Way of the Dog: 4/5

Season: 3.25/5

"Rhode to Road Island" lost to "Behind the Laughter"
    "Jurassic Bark" lost to "Three Gays of the Condo"
    "Trapped in the Closet" lost to "The Seemingly Never-Ending Story"
    "Free Churro" and "Come Along With Me" lost to "Mad About The Toy"

None of these are bad episodes by any means. They may even be the best of their respective seasons. But it's time to give these other shows the recognition they deserve. The Simpsons only keeps on winning because it's The Simpsons. It's become an institution that doesn't have to prove itself anymore, yet they still win. I loved "Thanksgiving of Horror," but if they beat out Rick and Morty and BoJack Horseman, I will be fully convinced that award ceremonies don't mean anything. If you don't believe me, look at Leonardo DiCaprio and Stanley Kubrick's track records with Oscars.
    Last edited by 714MatchesFound; 07-31-2020 at 05:52 PM.

While I personally think Rick and Morty sucks and most of its fans are terrible, and I haven't seen Bojack Horseman, so I'm not sure about all of that.

Quote Originally Posted by 714MatchesFound View Post
    "Rhode to Road Island" lost to "Behind the Laughter"
    "Jurassic Bark" lost to "Three Gays of the Condo"
    "Trapped in the Closet" lost to "The Seemingly Never-Ending Story"
    "Free Churro" and "Come Along With Me" lost to "Mad About The Toy"

None of these are bad episodes by any means. They may even be the best of their respective seasons. But it's time to give these other shows the recognition they deserve. The Simpsons only keeps on winning because it's The Simpsons. It's become an institution that doesn't have to prove itself anymore, yet they still win. I loved "Thanksgiving of Horror," but if they beat out Rick and Morty and BoJack Horseman, I will be fully convinced that award ceremonies don't mean anything. If you don't believe me, look at Leonardo DiCaprio and Stanley Kubrick's track records with Oscars.
    Well, The Seemingly Never-Ending is a fantastic episode and South Park is frequently awarded, unlike BoJack, Family Guy, or Futurama. Also, Holidays of Future Passed lost with the Penguins of Madagascar, Halloween of Horror is one of the greatest episodes of the Simpsons and lost, Gone Boy lost with Pickle Rick (criminally overrated episodes) and The Simpsons let pass some outstanding episodes failing in the submission (She of Little Faith vs. I Am Furious Yellow, for example). I want to say that the show won sometimes unfairly, but it was injured many times too.

Also, the unfairness of the Emmys transcends The Simpsons. Meanwhile (Futurama), Fish Out of Water (BoJack), or Total Rickall (Rick & Morty) were ignored but they are all incredible episodes.

I never got Futurama either. Doesn't seem bad, I just wouldn't want to spend my time watching it.

Quote Originally Posted by Szyslak100 View Post
    Also, Holidays of Future Passed lost with the Penguins of Madagascar, Halloween of Horror is one of the greatest episodes of the Simpsons and lost, Gone Boy lost with Pickle Rick (criminally overrated episodes) and The Simpsons let pass some outstanding episodes failing in the submission (She of Little Faith vs. I Am Furious Yellow, for example). I want to say that the show won sometimes unfairly, but it was injured many times too.

Also, the unfairness of the Emmys transcends The Simpsons. Meanwhile (Futurama), Fish Out of Water (BoJack), or Total Rickall (Rick & Morty) were ignored but they are all incredible episodes.
    I partially agree to this. "Holidays of Future Passed" and "Halloween of Horror" are the only contenders I consider to be award-worthy. "She of Little Faith" and "I am Furious Yellow are good episodes, but "Roswell That Ends Well" totally deserved it.

As much as I love Rick and Morty, I have to admit "Pickle Rick" is ridiculously overrated, but so is "Gone Boy." The modern Sideshow Bob episodes aren't bad, but they're nowhere near the brilliance of anything beyond "Brother from Another Series."

"Meanwhile" at least got the nomination. But why "Fish Out of Water," "Time's Arrow," "Total Rickall," nor "The Wedding Squanchers" didn't get nominated is beyond me. The Rick and Morty team should've submitted "The Ricklantis Mixup" instead of "Pickle Rick." They were definitely riding on its popularity as a trend.

I don't see how gone boy can be ridiculously overrated, you can't deny that it's better than most episodes of the era. I wouldn't put it on the level of the classic sideshow bob episodes but it's better than anything since the italian bob.

The show's been "Bad" longer than it's been good so it's not surprising to me that they've received more emmy nominations, also animated shows are getting more respect from the industry nowadays.
    Last edited by Frankbags; 07-31-2020 at 10:47 PM.

Ya, Gone Boy is great.

Quote Originally Posted by ManuelMaiden95 View Post
    Yes sure, and the British Empire is still the biggest Empire on earth.
    It may as well be.

The Emmys/Oscars etc are pretty awful when it comes to animation because they believe that cartoons = children show. The Simpsons have gotten more childish over the years so maybe that's why. Older Simpsons probably confused them.
    I remember reading something after Frozen's winning and how most of the votes towards that movie were because "the kids seem to like it" or they just didn't vote at all because they "weren't five".
    Favorite by season
    1.Krusty Gets Busted 2. Bart Gets An F 3. Lisa's Pony 4. Duffless/Last Exit to Springfiled 5. Homer's Barbershop Quartet 6. And Maggie Makes Three 7. The Curse Of The Flying Hellfish 8.Hurricane Neddy 9 Das Bus 10. Wild Barts Can't Be Broken 11. Saddlesore Galactica 12. HOMR 13. Weekend at Burnsie's. 14. How I Spent My Strummer Vacation. 15. The President Wore Pearls.

Blog Entries

Since this question is directed to the whole fanbase of this site, including myself, I would say this is dependable.

There is a word that describes some rare episodes of the show and is called "competent material", as @Szyslak100 stated. The show doesn't "often" produce enough material that could even reach the "classic" era episodes, but when they do, it is always something great or good.

There have been many great post-classic episodes, such as "Holidays Of Future Passed", "Barthood", "Halloween Of Horror", "Thanksgiving Of Horror", "Livin' La Vida Pura", "Gone Boy" etc. that are decent enough that I believe they could have even won an award.

I don't check out the Emmy Nominations, but I sure do know that "Mad About The Toy" is a very odd choice and still surprises me how it could even win.

I agree, some episodes are pretty bad choices for an nomination or award, but that doesn't mean the content of the show is always trash and doesn't deserve any attention.

Why do people keep saying it stopped being good? Some of the best episodes are newer HD episodes, like Holidays of Future Passed, Holloween of Horror, Barthood, Flander's Ladder, etc

Quote Originally Posted by Modern Simpsons Apologist View Post
    Why do people keep saying it stopped being good? Some of the best episodes are newer HD episodes, like Holidays of Future Passed, Holloween of Horror, Barthood, Flander's Ladder, etc
    The episodes you listed are the best from the modern era, but don't even hold a candle to the classic era and they're spanned over multiple seasons, in earlier seasons almost every episode non stop was a classic or at least very good.

25. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Tilly

Quote Originally Posted by Sandurt View Post
    If they win again this year against Bojack life has lost all meaning.
    Since this is all subjective I don't believe that you honestly think this.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tilly View Post
    The Emmys/Oscars etc are pretty awful when it comes to animation because they believe that cartoons = children show. The Simpsons have gotten more childish over the years so maybe that's why. Older Simpsons probably confused them.
    I remember reading something after Frozen's winning and how most of the votes towards that movie were because "the kids seem to like it" or they just didn't vote at all because they "weren't five".
    I don't think that the content in the Simpsons has gotten more kid friendly. Back in the old days, they used to be just 1, or even NONE with TV-14 ratings. Now there's at least 5 episodes per season, which one of them last season got the show it's 2nd Parental Advisory warning in the show's lifetime (for Thanksgivings of Horror, for having a lot more violence than other (excluding THOH5) THOH's) Also, there was 'Highway To Well', a Simpsons episode that was aired later for containing moderate references to medical marijuana. So, no. The Simpsons has not gotten more kid friendly over the years.

Also, ban this Tyronpak guy.
    Last edited by Trab Pu Kcip; 08-06-2020 at 09:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDuffBlimp View Post
    Since this is all subjective I don't believe that you honestly think this.
    Yes I don't seriously think this, but I will be dissapointed as hell.

Fair enough. I'm not a huge Bojack fan, though.

Thread Information