Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is this a good abridged version of Family Guy?

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Pin Pal

'Family Guy' has its Jump the Shark moment, just like the Simpsons. It's season 12's 'Life of Brian'. Everything after that could be considered modern Family Guy.

Probably season 9 or 10 to now. Since it went HD and all that.
    Season 31 ratings

The Winter of Our Monetized Content: 3/5
    Go Big or Go Homer: 2/5
    The Fat Blue Line: 4/5
    Treehouse of Horror XXX: 3/5
    Gorillas on the Mast: 3.5/5
    Marge the Lumberjill: 2.5/5
    Livin La Pura Vida: 4.5/5
    Thanksgiving of Horror: 4.5/5
    Todd, Todd, Why Hast Thou Forsaken Me?: 4/5
    Bobby, It's Cold Outside: 4/5
    Hail to the Teeth: 1.5/5
    The Miseducation of Lisa Simpson: 3/5
    Frinkcoin: 2.5/5
    Bart the Bad Guy: 3/5
    Screenless: 3/5
    Better Off Ned: 4/5
    Highway to Well: 2.5/5
    The Incredible Lightness of Being a Baby: 3.5/5
    Warrin' Priests: 4/5
    Warrin' Priests Part 2: 1.5/5
    The Hateful Eight-Year-Olds: 4/5
    The Way of the Dog: 4/5

Season: 3.25/5

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CousinMerl View Post
    I'm not really sure. When definining modern Family Guy as more of a non-fan/casual watcher, I'll say 10 and on, approximately, as it seem to be the point where people started to sour on the show more and more. Maybe it was the start of "Zombie Family Guy"? I dunno.

What do you 'Family Guy' fans define as "modern" 'Family Guy'? @John95, @orangemo, @Wile E. the Brain, @The Abominable Dr. Lenny?

I'll add that I'm generally looking for the episodes that have a good story and narrative are funny and maybe clever without going all edge (no extreme blood & gore shock humor) & doesn't overuse cutaways (also those that maybe are more sincere and has some heart). The abeformentioned 'Dog Bites Bear' seems like one of these.
    14 and onwards. Because seasons 10-13 are already more than 5 years old. Watch any episode written by Cherry Chevapravatdumrong. She’s the best current writer.
    The Central, King of Harts, American, family burger guy.

Blog Entries

@Szyslak100 Well, I am also a Family Guy fan, so I hope I can prove helpful with my post.

I will just say that seasons 1-3 of the show are quite different than the rest of it, but also really great. It is like watching a completely different show, a more Simpson-like version of it. All the characters were clearly based on their Simpsons counterparts and these three seasons are the ones that really showcase this comparison. They are pretty funny, satirical and overall enjoyable. You will have a great time watching them as a fan of The Simpsons , due to the two shows being so similar, minus the cutaway gags that are involved.

Seasons 4-6 are the "peak" of the show, the seasons that balance both cutaways and stories. There isn't much cutaways that distract t
    from the main or sub story and the episode isn't focusing too much on the story either. I am sure that you would genuinely like season 6's two-parter episodes "Stewie Kills Lois" and "Lois Kills Stewie", they are pretty memorable and fun. It is one of the highlights of the show!

Seasons 7-9 is where there is an obvious shift in quality, the seasons that it becomes more and more obvious that the show is going through it's own "burn out" phase. There are still good and funny episodes, just that the formula starts getting old and they are experimenting a little with episodes like "And Then They Were Fewer" etc. and try to get a reaction out of the viewer after trying something new. They are also starting the abuse of slapstick and shock humour, which is not always pleasant to watch.

Seasons 10-14: In these seasons, the abuse of slapstick and especially shock humour becomes more and more distracting and annoying. It is also in those seasons where there are so many intentionally bad episodes in order to gain views (Seahorse, Seashell Party, Screams Of Silence: The Story Of Brenda Q, Herpe The Love Sore, Fresh Heir, Life Of Brian, Brian Is A Bad Father, Stewie Is Enceinte etc.).

Seasons 15-present: Those seasons are considered quite worse than the previous ones, but at least they don't contain such bad episodes. They try their "best" to be funny and edgy, only for them to fail miserably and lose views. These are the seasons where the formula doesn't work at all for me and prove that Family Guy is past it's run time.

It's not a bad show, but it is not the best show. The first 9 seasons are the best and I recommend watching them all and if you are curious about the other ones, feel free to check them out. They are bad, but there are also some enjoyable episodes here and there.
    Last edited by Simpson's Fan; 08-05-2020 at 09:08 AM.

Family Guy is one of the worst shows on TV and has been since season 12.

Have Brain, Will Travel Wile E. the Brain's Avatar

@CousinMerl, like I said earlier, I'm so behind most of Family Guy newer seasons, especially those after season 12. From my perspective, I'd say that season 7 or 8, while not necessarily being the seasons that started the "zombie Family Guy" era and while still having some really good episodes, are probably the ones that started to show what Family Guy can be at its worst, with completely lackluster stories that would never last an entire episode without some help from cutaways as lazy as they could be (The Juice is Loose), terrible or even offensive writing about topics they don't know how to talk about (Not All Dogs Go to Heaven, Peterassment), overly exaggerated gruesome content and the lighthearted and zany atmosphere that left room for a more heavy one (which isn't always a bad thing, especially since it helped some episodes such as Brian and Stewie to work, but for the most part, I take less enjoyment from the newer seasons partially because of that). Like The Simspsons, I don't think the downfall of Family Guy was immediate (but probably faster), but it started with some seasons that remained pretty good for the most part, before their major flaws were amplified.
    It ate EVERYBODY, stupid !

The Winter of Our Monetized Content - 2/5 / Go Big or Go Homer - 2/5 / The Fat Blue Line - 3.5/5 / Treehouse of Horror XXX - 2.5/5 / Gorillas on the Mast - 3.5/5 / Marge the Lumberjill - 2/5 / Livin' la Pura Vida - 4/5 / Thanksgiving of Horror - 4/5 / Todd, Todd, Why Hast Thou Forsaken Me - 2.5/5 / Bobby, it's Cold Outside - 2.5/5 / Hail to the Teeth - 1.5/5 / The Miseducation of Lisa Simpson - 3.5/5 / Frinkcoin - 2/5 / Bart the Bad Guy - 4/5 / Screenless - 3.5/5 / Better Off Ned - 1.5/5 / Highway to Well - 3/5 / The Incredible Lightness of Being a Baby - 2/5 / Warrin' Priests: Part One - 3/5 / Warrin' Priests: Part Two - 2.5/5 / The Hateful Eight-Year-Olds - 3.5/5 / Way of the Dog - TBA

7. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Szyslak100

Family Guy plummeted way farther and way faster than The Simpsons and was never as good, The Simpsons is still a pretty good show on its 31st season, where as Family Guy is terrible on its 18th.

The Simpsons is still a pretty good show on its 31st season
    Just curious what alternate reality are you from?
    ⠀⠀

Quote Originally Posted by BartArt View Post
    Just curious what alternate reality are you from?
    Bet that sounded better in the mirror.

11. Thumbs Up To This Post by: comeau

Sure, you had to rehearse that nonsense about the modern Simpsons in front of the mirror to convince yourself first.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Abominable Dr. Lenny View Post
    Family Guy plummeted way farther and way faster than The Simpsons and was never as good, The Simpsons is still a pretty good show on its 31st season, where as Family Guy is terrible on its 18th.
    Alright, this is a pretty flawed argument, if you ask me.

Family Guy isn't that bad. There are lot of boring and unfunny episodes, but there are some others that manage to get a good laugh out of me. I don't know what people are saying, but Family Guy, even though it values shock humour way too much, at least gets a few chuckles nowadays.

The Simpsons, on the other hand, while certainly not a trashy or terrible show, is not that great. Calling The Simpsons a good show nowadays - even if season 31 was relatively better than season 30 - is a pretty strange way to put it. I would like for everyone to consider this: How many episodes of The Simpsons are actually great? This season, some of the episodes that stand out in particular are "Thanksgiving Of Horror", "Livin' La Vida Pura", "Bobby It's Cold Outside", "Bart The Bad Guy" and "Highway To Well". Those are just 5 of the 22 episodes each season produces, with the rest of them being pretty average and mediocre. These are not really good numbers for a good show, these are good numbers for an average show nowadays. This is kind of how I perceive the show's last 10 seasons: Average and mediocre. I am pretty sure that everyone else has a similar opinion to mine, so how are The Simpsons considered so good in the present day world? I really don't understand the logic of this post.

Quote Originally Posted by Simpson's Fan View Post
    Alright, this is a pretty flawed argument, if you ask me.

Family Guy isn't that bad. There are lot of boring and unfunny episodes, but there are some others that manage to get a good laugh out of me. I don't know what people are saying, but Family Guy, even though it values shock humour way too much, at least gets a few chuckles nowadays.

The Simpsons, on the other hand, while certainly not a trashy or terrible show, is not that great. Calling The Simpsons a good show nowadays - even if season 31 was relatively better than season 30 - is a pretty strange way to put it. I would for everyone to consider this: How many episodes of The Simpsons are actually great? This season, some of the episodes that stand out in particular are "Thanksgiving Of Horror", "Livin' La Vida Pura", "Bobby It's Cold Outside", "Bart The Bad Guy" and "Highway To Well". Those are just 5 of the 22 episodes each season produces, with the rest of the being pretty average and mediocre. These are not really good numbers for a good show, these are good numbers for an average show nowadays. This is kind of how I perceive the show's last 10 seasons: Average and mediocre. I am pretty sure that everyone else has a similar opinion to mine, so how are The Simpsons considered so good in the present day world? I really don't understand the logic of this post.
    First of all, Family Guy is next level terrible. Damn near every episode is poorly written with shitty cutaway gags and stupid shock humor. It's hard to even consider it a valid television show these days with how terrible it is maybe 4 or 5 episodes per season now are even worth watching. Second of all, I think calling The Simpsons good depends on what you perceive as good and how high/low your standards are. I think most episodes are good with some bad/great episodes in the mix. That for me, makes it a good (but not great show).

For me anything reasonably above average is good, anything reasonably below average is bad, anything way above average is great, anything way below average is terrible. That sounds fair to me and that's what I use as a scale.

Blog Entries

First of all, Family Guy is next level terrible. Damn near every episode is poorly written with shitty cutaway gags and stupid shock humor. It's hard to even consider it a valid television show these days with how terrible it is maybe 4 or 5 episodes per season now are even worth watching. Second of all, I think calling The Simpsons good depends on what you perceive as good and how high/low your standards are. I think most episodes are good with some bad/great episodes in the mix. That for me, makes it a good (but not great show).
    Firstly, I didn't say it isn't bad, but I wouldn't go that far and say that it is "next level" terrible. It has declined in quality but it is not as terrible as people say it is. Most episodes are bad, but there are some few ones that get a reaction and a laugh out of me, even though it isn't much.

Secondly, I think, at the end of the day, everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion. I think The Simpsons is good when it wants to be good, but it is mostly average, at least in my eyes.

We just have a different opinion on this matter. Let us agree to disagree!

Quote Originally Posted by J.J.Watts View Post
    'Family Guy' has its Jump the Shark moment, just like the Simpsons. It's season 12's 'Life of Brian'. Everything after that could be considered modern Family Guy.
    The show jumped multiple sharks. At least 5 times in my book.

1. Stewie yelling for Lois for 30 seconds/Cool Whip
    2. The Writers' Strike
    3. Brian and Stewie
    4. Life of Brian
    5. Send in Stewie, Please

Whats wrong with Send In Stewie please? It's not great, but given most episodes of the last few seasons, it's one of the best in recent memory.

Brian and Stewie the episode? I love that one, best that show has to offer in my opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by erichoff View Post
    The show jumped multiple sharks. At least 5 times in my book.

1. Stewie yelling for Lois for 30 seconds/Cool Whip
    2. The Writers' Strike
    3. Brian and Stewie
    4. Life of Brian
    5. Send in Stewie, Please
    I don't understand your post. Most of the things mentioned were not even remotely considered the decline of the show.

1. Many people actually found this moment to be funny, including me. So, it's not even considered a problem of season 5 by 1/3 of the show's fanbase.

2. That might be true to an extent, but subjectively speaking, it doesn't have a lot to do with the decline of the show.

3. How is the episode "Brian and Stewie" considered the decline? It's one of the most emotional and down-to-earth episodes the show ever made! It humanises Brian and Stewie and highlights the importance of their relationship. I don't see how it is a problem that Brain and Stewie stay in the same room or that there aren't so many jokes.

4. This is probably the only one that I fully agree with you on. They really wanted to squeeze the emotion out of the viewer by making a bad episode about a character that has been flanderised for a couple of seasons now. It was just a ratings trap for them to get more views and it didn't even last! (Two episodes! Really?)

5. I do agree that it was kind of boring, but it actually revealed a lot of information about Stewie and his actual personality. It was one of the better episodes of the recent seasons for me.

How is The Writers' Strike a jump the shark moment for Family Guy? Wikipedia defines jumping the shark with the following: Jumping the shark is an idiom used to describe a moment when something that was once widely popular, but has since grown less popular, makes a misguided attempt at generating publicity that instead only serves to highlight its irrelevance.

Quote Originally Posted by Simpson's Fan View Post
    I don't understand your post. Most of the things mentioned were not even remotely considered the decline of the show.

1. Many people actually found this moment to be funny, including me. So, it's not even considered a problem of season 5 by 1/3 of the show's fanbase.

2. That might be true to an extent, but subjectively speaking, it doesn't have a lot to do with the decline of the show.

3. How is the episode "Brian and Stewie" considered the decline? It's one of the most emotional and down-to-earth episodes the show ever made! It humanises Brian and Stewie and highlights the importance of their relationship. I don't see how it is a problem that Brain and Stewie stay in the same room or that there aren't so many jokes.

4. This is probably the only one that I fully agree with you on. They really wanted to squeeze the emotion out of the viewer by making a bad episode about a character that has been flanderised for a couple of seasons now. It was just a ratings trap for them to get more views and it didn't even last! (Two episodes! Really?)

5. I do agree that it was kind of boring, but it actually revealed a lot of information about Stewie and his actual personality. It was one of the better episodes of the recent seasons for me.
    For some reason the option to like your post isn't there, but I do agree with you.

Blog Entries

For some reason the option to like your post isn't there, but I do agree with you.
    This is strange! I might need to check this out then!

Now it is there, but this has happened on numerous occasions.

Blog Entries

Now it is there, but this has happened on numerous occasions.
    It is probably bad internet connection from my part! It does happen at times, but I am trying to fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by CousinMerl View Post
    I'm not really sure. When definining modern Family Guy as more of a non-fan/casual watcher, I'll say 10 and on, approximately, as it seem to be the point where people started to sour on the show more and more. Maybe it was the start of "Zombie Family Guy"? I dunno.

What do you 'Family Guy' fans define as "modern" 'Family Guy'? @John95, @orangemo, @Wile E. the Brain, @The Abominable Dr. Lenny?

I'll add that I'm generally looking for the episodes that have a good story and narrative are funny and maybe clever without going all edge (no extreme blood & gore shock humor) & doesn't overuse cutaways (also those that maybe are more sincere and has some heart). The abeformentioned 'Dog Bites Bear' seems like one of these.
    With that in mind, here is a list of episodes after season nine you might like:

Season 10
    Back to the Pilot
    Amish Guy
    Cool Hand Peter
    The Blind Side
    Livin' on a Prayer
    Killer Queen
    Forget-Me-Not
    Mr. and Mrs. Stewie

Season 11
    The Old Man and the Big 'C'
    Yug Ylimaf
    Joe's Revenge
    Brian's Play
    Valentine's Day in Quahog
    12 and a Half Angry Men
    Total Recall
    Save the Clam
    Farmer Guy
    Roads to Vegas

Season 12
    Quagmire's Quagmire
    Life of Brian (for continuity reasons)
    Into Harmony's Way
    Grimm Job
    The Most Interesting Man in the World
    Meg Stinks!
    He's Bla-ack!

Season 13
    The Simpsons Guy (not sure if you've already seen this)
    Baking Bad
    Turkey Guys
    Stewie, Chris, & Brian's Excellent Adventure
    Our Idiot Brian
    Encyclopedia Griffin
    #JOLO
    Once Bitten
    Fighting Irish

Season 14
    Pilling Them Softly
    Papa Has a Rollin' Son
    Guy, Robot
    Peternormal Activity
    Peter, Chris, & Brian
    Peter's Sister
    Hot Pocket-Dial
    The Peanut Butter Kid
    Underage Peter
    A Lot Going on Upstairs

Season 15
    Bookie of the Year
    Inside Family Guy
    How the Griffin Stole Christmas
    Passenger Fatty-Seven
    Gronkowsbees
    Cop and a Half-wit

Season 16
    Emmy-Winning Episode
    Follow the Money
    Three Directors
    The D in Apartment 23
    Crimes and Meg's Demeanor
    Boy Meets Girl
    Dog Bites Bear
    The Woof of Wall Street
    Family Guy Through the Years
    Switch the Flip

Season 17
    Pal Stewie (there's a grossout scene in here just to warn you; comes early in the episode)
    Big Trouble in Little Quahog (another grossout scene; involves Cleveland)
    Pawtucket Pete
    Bri, Robot
    Trans-Fat
    You Can't Handle the Booth!

Season 18
    Disney's The Reboot
    Cat Fight
    Rich Old Stewie
    The Movement

27. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Szyslak100

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Nihilistic View Post
    With that in mind, here is a list of episodes after season nine you might like:

Season 10
    Back to the Pilot
    Amish Guy
    Cool Hand Peter
    The Blind Side
    Livin' on a Prayer
    Killer Queen
    Forget-Me-Not
    Mr. and Mrs. Stewie

Season 11
    The Old Man and the Big 'C'
    Yug Ylimaf
    Joe's Revenge
    Brian's Play
    Valentine's Day in Quahog
    12 and a Half Angry Men
    Total Recall
    Save the Clam
    Farmer Guy
    Roads to Vegas

Season 12
    Quagmire's Quagmire
    Life of Brian (for continuity reasons)
    Into Harmony's Way
    Grimm Job
    The Most Interesting Man in the World
    Meg Stinks!
    He's Bla-ack!

Season 13
    The Simpsons Guy (not sure if you've already seen this)
    Baking Bad
    Turkey Guys
    Stewie, Chris, & Brian's Excellent Adventure
    Our Idiot Brian
    Encyclopedia Griffin
    #JOLO
    Once Bitten
    Fighting Irish

Season 14
    Pilling Them Softly
    Papa Has a Rollin' Son
    Guy, Robot
    Peternormal Activity
    Peter, Chris, & Brian
    Peter's Sister
    Hot Pocket-Dial
    The Peanut Butter Kid
    Underage Peter
    A Lot Going on Upstairs

Season 15
    Bookie of the Year
    Inside Family Guy
    How the Griffin Stole Christmas
    Passenger Fatty-Seven
    Gronkowsbees
    Cop and a Half-wit

Season 16
    Emmy-Winning Episode
    Follow the Money
    Three Directors
    The D in Apartment 23
    Crimes and Meg's Demeanor
    Boy Meets Girl
    Dog Bites Bear
    The Woof of Wall Street
    Family Guy Through the Years
    Switch the Flip

Season 17
    Pal Stewie (there's a grossout scene in here just to warn you; comes early in the episode)
    Big Trouble in Little Quahog (another grossout scene; involves Cleveland)
    Pawtucket Pete
    Bri, Robot
    Trans-Fat
    You Can't Handle the Booth!

Season 18
    Disney's The Reboot
    Cat Fight
    Rich Old Stewie
    The Movement
    Throw it away from season 17 is another I'd recommend. I would not recommend Disney's Reboot or Movement imo.

That's quite the list, @Dr. Nihilistic. Didn't expect to get a list of recommendations but thanks anyway (and I'm sure @Szyslak100 can get some use out of it too). Out of those episode I know I have seen 'Back To The Pilot' & 'Yug Ylimaf' and those were pretty good (seems like Brian & Stewie centric ones tend to have a bigger chance of being good). 'The Simpsons Guy' I saw too and it was decent. When I'll check out modern era FG sooner or later I'll use this list for sure. Big thanks.

If it's not too much to ask, what would your recommendations for 7, 8 & 9 look like, by the way? Just curious (much as those seasons are counted as "post-classic" by some).
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 08-06-2020 at 08:56 AM.

30. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Szyslak100

Yeah, this is really great @Dr. Nihilistic. Thank you for sharing!

Also, @CousinMerl I didn't revise the list I was compiling from all the lists yet because I started from the beginning watching the first three seasons and until that I will not worry about season 4 and towards. That's why I didn't share it, it's because it still doesn't exist.
    Last retrospective: Homer Defined (S03E05)

My project of rating and reviewing every episode of Rick and Morty (completed!)

My project of rating and reviewing every episode of BoJack Horseman (last episode: Hank After Dark)

@Szyslak100, that's okay. I kinda understood that you wouldn't update the list yet once you decided to do a viewing thread and start from the beginning. Once you reach the fourth season, maybe you could.

Thread Information