Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 91 to 100 of 100



Thread: Have "The Simpsons" lost their charm completely?



(Users Browsing this Thread: )

  1. #91
    Being my fanatic self Simpson's Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    433
    Blog Entries
    1


    Quote Originally Posted by Trab Pu Kcip View Post
    They could just write him out for a season or 2.

    Also, why are we talking about AD and FG in a Simpsons General Discussion Thread? At this rate, this thread could be renamed ''Have Animated TV Shows (Like The Simpsons) Lost Their Charm Completely?" and moved into the Animated Discussion.
    We just got a little off-topic, that's all!

    The rest of the thread still contains more posts about The Simpsons than it does for Family Guy or American Dad!, so there is no point in moving the thread to the Animated Discussion.

  2. Thumbs Up To This Post by: BartArt

  3. #92
    The Chosen One Trab Pu Kcip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    1,898
    Blog Entries
    25


    Yes, I guess it got a little off topic. The whole move to animated discussion was a joke if the off topic-ness would go on.


  4. #93
    Stonecutter The Abominable Dr. Lenny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Posts
    1,679
    Blog Entries
    32


    This guy kind of sums it up:

    "The Simpsons" is still funnier than almost everything else on TV: It's puzzling to hear fans complain that "The Simpsons" "ain't what it used to be," says Aaron Simpson in the animation blog Line Boil. "What a picky lot, eh?" The show makes audiences laugh — isn't that the point? "I’m just happy to have more episodes, even if they’re not world-class."
    Season 32:

    Undercover Burns: 3/5

  5. #94
    Pin Pal ManuelMaiden95's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Argentina
    Posts
    488


    Quote Originally Posted by The Abominable Dr. Lenny View Post
    This guy kind of sums it up:

    "The Simpsons" is still funnier than almost everything else on TV: It's puzzling to hear fans complain that "The Simpsons" "ain't what it used to be," says Aaron Simpson in the animation blog Line Boil. "What a picky lot, eh?" The show makes audiences laugh — isn't that the point? "I’m just happy to have more episodes, even if they’re not world-class."
    Sorry, one of the weakest apologists I've ever heard and he simply repeats something other apologists repeated over and over again.

    It's simply not true that the Simpsons is still funnier than almost everything else on TV. Let's not even say better.
    That's an absurd line and I wonder if those people actually watch television because it's considered that we are in a Golden Age of television.
    Let's not even talk about platforms like Netflix and the like.

    And besides, supossing it was better than almost everything else on TV, what kind of argument is that? Just because it's better than shit (again assuming it's better than almost anything else which it isn't) then that's not a good reason to watch the show.

    And the last line pretends that we lower our standards to enjoy the show which is not how things work. If you have to lower your standards to enjoy a show you simply watch a better one. Or read a Book or listen to music. You don't lower your standards to the floor just so you can enjoy a tv show.

  6. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Kangdos

  7. #95
    Stonecutter The Abominable Dr. Lenny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Posts
    1,679
    Blog Entries
    32


    Quote Originally Posted by ManuelMaiden95 View Post
    Sorry, one of the weakest apologists I've ever heard and he simply repeats something other apologists repeated over and over again.

    It's simply not true that the Simpsons is still funnier than almost everything else on TV. Let's not even say better.
    That's an absurd line and I wonder if those people actually watch television because it's considered that we are in a Golden Age of television.
    Let's not even talk about platforms like Netflix and the like.

    And besides, supossing it was better than almost everything else on TV, what kind of argument is that? Just because it's better than shit (again assuming it's better than almost anything else which it isn't) then that's not a good reason to watch the show.

    And the last line pretends that we lower our standards to enjoy the show which is not how things work. If you have to lower your standards to enjoy a show you simply watch a better one. Or read a Book or listen to music. You don't lower your standards to the floor just so you can enjoy a tv show.
    It's not about lowering standards. If you can enjoy something, is there any reason not to watch it? People like over analyzing things and being overly critical. As far as comedy on TV goes, they have a lot of shit for competition and I still think The Simpsons is good. Just because it's not what it used to be and it's past its prime, doesn't mean you can't or shouldn't enjoy it.

  8. #96
    Stonecutter The Abominable Dr. Lenny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Posts
    1,679
    Blog Entries
    32


    If you take yourself and your standards for entertainment so seriously that you won't watch something just because it isn't always good or that you don't think it's as good as it once was, you should seriously consider re-evaluating what's important to you, you may be pleasantly surprised by what you find. I know some people on here actually deem it completely unwatchable, but I'm sure some of you could really enjoy it. There's nothing wrong with lowering your standards to enjoy something, we're talking about TV, not the election.

  9. #97
    Pin Pal ManuelMaiden95's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Argentina
    Posts
    488


    Quote Originally Posted by The Abominable Dr. Lenny View Post
    If you take yourself and your standards for entertainment so seriously that you won't watch something just because it isn't always good or that you don't think it's as good as it once was, you should seriously consider re-evaluating what's important to you, you may be pleasantly surprised by what you find. I know some people on here actually deem it completely unwatchable, but I'm sure some of you could really enjoy it. There's nothing wrong with lowering your standards to enjoy something, we're talking about TV, not the election.
    Personally I find most seasons after season 10 to be pretty bad/mediocre and the show almost unwatchable from season 17 onwards.
    I've tried watching episodes people recommended like Halloween of Horror, Holidays of Future Passed and I didn't find anything special.

    And it's not like I take my standards too seriously, it's not like I only enjoy higher art and I can't watch a movie if it's not by Hitchcock or Bergman.
    I just don't find the Simpsons to be an entertaining show at all. Every while in a while an episode is decent but nothing to merit watching the show regularly again.
    I prefer watching the first 9 seasons a million times, I have much more fun watching something like Rosebud that I've watched dozens of times since I was a kid than watching a modern Simpsons episode.
    I've tried, I've given it the opportunity, I just don't find anything special about the show anymore.

    And it's not like I have 24/7 free time everyday of the week, I have to work, study, etc as most people my age do.
    Therefore the spare time I have for watching series, listening to music or reading books is limited.
    And certainly modern Simpsons doesn't merit that I spend time watching it when there's much more entertainment that I could possibly watch or read or music to listen to before having to resort to modern Simpsons.

  10. #98


    I forced myself to keep watching each new Simpsons episode for years. But after season 29 I... just couldn't anymore. I never really decided that "That's it, I'm done with The Simpsons", I just found that couldn't stand watching episode after episode of something so incredibly bad and boring. So recently, I've done what others have done and only watched episodes that recieve an unusually positive reception. I still plan in the back of my mind to someday watch all the episodes that I haven't seen, but god knows when that day comes.

  11. #99
    The Chosen One Walid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    'cause I live at home in a trailer...
    Posts
    33,016
    Blog Entries
    137


    the thing that really sucks, to me at least, is the fact that there are episodes from 24-31 I have seen, but they were so bland and forgetful that I can't remember one joke, hell, one scene from them. Simprovise? Orange is the New Yellow? Havana Wild Weekend? just to name a few. but then there are genuinely good episodes, like Halloween of Horror, There Will Be Buds, Pork and Burns...

    I wanna watch the episodes I haven't seen and now that I actually have access to be able to do so, it's like... is it worth it in the end? I Feel like it overall will be, but I also feel like I shouldn't have to go and rewatch episodes I've seen and didn't care for, just because I didn't like 'em the first time around... a rewatch likely wouldn't change that.

  12. #100
    The Chosen One Trab Pu Kcip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    1,898
    Blog Entries
    25


    Near me, they think that Modern Simpsons hasn't lost their charm, as it's really the only type of era they put on air. Well, they're wrong.



Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •