Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Most Scully-like Pre-Scully episodes?

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Most Scully-like Pre-Scully episodes?

There have been a number of Jean era episodes just as wacky, if not more so than the Scully era. What episodes produced before the Scully era feel like something he would have showrun?

Wants to be a sweetie pie Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Homer Goes to College. Not that it’s a bad thing.
    Favorite and least favorite by season
    1. Life on the Fast Lane Homer’s Night Out 2. Bart Gets an F Dead Putting Society 3. Homer at the Bat Like Father, Like Clown 4. Brother From the Same Planet Krusty Gets Kancelled 5. Cape Feare Lady Bouvier’s Lover 6. Homer Badman Another Simpsons Clip Show 7. King-Size Homer Lisa the Iconoclast 8. Homer’s Enemy The Simpsons Spin-Off Showcase 9. Bart Carny The Trouble With Trillions 10. Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo Homer Simpson in: “Kidney Trouble” 11. Guess Who’s Coming to Criticize Dinner? Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder 12. HOMЯ Tennis the Menace 13. Tales From the Public Domain She of Little Faith 14. The Dad Who Knew Too Little Helter Shelter 15. I, (Annoyed Grunt)-bot Bart-Mangled Banner 16. A Star is Torn On a Clear Day I Can’t See My Sister 17. My Fair Laddy Bonfire of the Manatees 18. The Haw-Hawed Couple You Kent Always Say What You Want 19. Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind All About Lisa 20. Gone Maggie Gone The Good, the Sad and the Drugly 21. The Bob Next Door The Color Yellow 22. Donnie Fatso Love is a Many Strangled Thing 23. The Falcon and the D’ohman A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again 24. Hardly Kirk-ing Moonshine River 25. The War of Art What to Expect When Bart’s Expecting 26. Sky Police Let’s Go Fly a Coot 27. Halloween of Horror Lisa With an ‘S’ 28. There Will Be Buds Moho House 29. Springfield Splendor Throw Grampa From the Dane 30. Daddicus Finch I Want You (She’s So Heavy) 31. Thanksgiving of Horror Warrin’ Priests (Part Two)

Hercules Rockefeller Homer Samson's Avatar

I'd say the entire Scully era was just diet Mirkin era
    Best and Worst Episode per Season:
    1: Krusty Gets Busted/Homer's Night Out 2: One Fish, Two Fish, Blowfish, Blue Fish/Bart's Dog Gets an 'F' 3: Bart the Murderer/Saturdays of Thunder 4: Homer the Heretic/So Its Come To This: A Simpsons Clip Show 5: Cape Feare/Lady Bouvier's Lover 6: Homie the Clown/Another Simpsons Clip Show 7: Raging Abe Simpson and his Grumbling Grandson in " The Curse of the Flying Hellfish"/Scenes From the Class Struggle in Springfield 8: The Springfield Files/The Old Man and the Lisa 9: The City of New York vs. Homer Simpson/Miracle on Evergreen Terrace 10: Mayored to the Mob/Homer Simpson in: Kidney Trouble 11: Grift of the Magi/Eight Misbehavin' 12: Trilogy of Error/I'm Goin' to Praiseland 13: The Blunder Years/The Lastest Gun in the West 14: Moe Baby Blues/The Strong Arms of the Ma 15: My Mother the Carjacker/Co-Dependent's Day 16: The Heartbroke Kid/Homer and Ned's Hail Mary Pass 17: The Seemingly Never-Ending Story/The Bonfire of the Manatees 18: The Mook, The Chef, The Wife, and Her Homer/The Boys of Bummer 19: Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind/Husbands and Knives 20: Gone Maggie Gone/Lisa the Drama Queen 21: The Squirt and the Whale/The Greatest Story Ever D'ohed 22: Homer Scissorhands/The Fight Before Christmas 23: The Book Job/Lisa Goes Gaga 24: The Saga of Carl/Love is a Many-Splintered Thing 25: Brick Like Me/What to Expect When Bart's Expecting 26: Sky Police/The Musk Who Fell to Earth 27: Barthood/Every Man's Dream 28: 22 for 30/The Caper Chase 29: Flanders' Ladder/Singin' in the Lane 30: Woo-hoo Dunnit?/I Want You (She's So Heavy)

I may be cutting it a little close, but I always thought "My Sister, My Sitter" was kind of Scully-esque.

Definitely Homerpalooza.

How about Simpson Tide? It was produced in 1995, well before the Scully era started, but is even wackier than most of his episodes.

Tbh, a bit more Scullyness in small doses throughout some episodes wouldn't have gone amiss in some early episodes.

Season 3 and 4 have some fantastic storylines and character development, but man are a lot of their jokes lame, unfunny and sometimes cringeworthy

Homerpalooza and The Homer They Fall.

Homer Goes to College is wacky but it never felt like Scully to me. Scully is not just wackiness but his episodes have also a certain flavour, a certain structure and a certain sense of humor.
    Homer Goes to College only has the wackiness but the humour and the way it is structured doesn't feel like Scully to me.
    It feels like a wackier than usual classic episode. Scully era has a whole different tone to it.

As I said, I feel like Homerpalooza and The Homer They Fall may be the most similar to Scully in the Classic era. Both are stronger than average Scully episodes but both are flawed in their absurd premises that feel like they came out of nowhere.
    I still like those episodes though, but they could pass like strong Scully episodes.
    Homer Goes to College on the other hand would be the best Scully episode by miles and a rare gem if it aired under Scully.
    As I said, I never felt like it could belong to that era.

"Lisa on Ice" is a classic episode, but it feels like Scully because of how over the top Homer is. Not surprising considering the fact that he wrote it, but he's already showing signs of the kind of showrunner he would turn into.

The way "The Twisted World of Marge Simpson" just ends, you would think it was a Scully episode. "Bart's Inner Child" is all over the place with what it's trying to do. There are three different episodes in one.

10. Thumbs Up To This Post by: J.J.Watts

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Nihilistic View Post
    "Lisa on Ice" is a classic episode, but it feels like Scully because of how over the top Homer is. Not surprising considering the fact that he wrote it, but he's already showing signs of the kind of showrunner he would turn into.
    I agree. But as jerkass as Homer is in that episode, it at least doesn't drive the story. It's just there.

"Boy Scoutz 'n the Hood" comes to mind for me. Homer is in full jerkass mode in here, AND it's used as a story-telling device for the second half of the episode. He's also hailed as a hero at the end by Bart even though his actions are what caused them to be lost at sea in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by 714MatchesFound View Post
    I agree. But as jerkass as Homer is in that episode, it at least doesn't drive the story. It's just there.

"Boy Scoutz 'n the Hood" comes to mind for me. Homer is in full jerkass mode in here, AND it's used as a story-telling device for the second half of the episode. He's also hailed as a hero at the end by Bart even though his actions are what caused them to be lost at sea in the first place.
    I need to watch that episode again, but it has a lot of classic moments. And it also gave us sugarposting, so I'll probably overlook Homer's behavior.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 714MatchesFound View Post

?? homer's jerkass behavior in lisa on ice is basically the main drive of the plot. homer thrusts his competitive spirit on his children

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    ?? homer's jerkass behavior in lisa on ice is basically the main drive of the plot. homer thrusts his competitive spirit on his children
    Not really, Homer did play favorites and expand the divide between his kids. But that's it. If you remove him from the episode, everything else would've happened anyway.

Surprised nobody mentioned In Marge We Trust. It was especially that 3rd act with the baboons that felt Scully-esque. It was in fact very similar to the ending of Screaming Yellow Honkers.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover Hendrix View Post
    Surprised nobody mentioned In Marge We Trust. It was especially that 3rd act with the baboons that felt Scully-esque. It was in fact very similar to the ending of Screaming Yellow Honkers.
    Actually I'm surprised too. It's a good episode, but I'm shocked some people rate it a 10/10. Maybe it's the Mr. Sparkle subplot...

No to cooties and sisters. Shoskin's Avatar

"Lisa on Ice" is a classic episode, but it feels like Scully because of how over the top Homer is.
    The problem with Homer is he acts like what some parents act like when their kid is good at something. They see there kid is great and they can brag about it. The kid across the street was a star little leaguer. Everyone fought to get them on their team and he just ate it up. His parents put him on this pedestal to stardom but in the end nothing.
    Last edited by Shoskin; 06-29-2020 at 08:41 PM.

These come to mind for me. Essentially the wackiest episodes, the "Homer gets an unreal job" episodes, and the guest-star filled ones.

Deep Space Homer
    Homer Goes to College
    Itchy & Scratchy Land
    Homerpalooza
    Signature.

Good call on Deep Space Homer. It was funny, but so outlandish it definitely feels like something Scully would have done.
    Also, that ending with the killer robots in Itchy and Scratchy Land did feel a little Scully-ish.

Wants to be a sweetie pie Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Deep Space Homer doesn’t feel too Scully-ish in my mind. Although the plot is definitely out there, it still seems grounded and believable enough in how its set up.

Anybody think Burns' Heir was Scullyish? Especially the twist that the Family was fake and was working with the Simpsons to study their character. Not to mention the exploding heads at the movie theater.
    Last edited by Jerkass Scully; 06-30-2020 at 11:53 AM.

22. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Kangdos

'Marge In Chains' is one to me. The way it gets increasingly cartoonish and ridiculous (up to eleven in the last act with the entire town going to shambles just because Marge is in prison for a month for accidental shoplifting, which can be seen as ridiculous in itself) and has some pretty mean-spirited moments (including Jerkass Apu) really makes it feel like a Scully episode to me. It's kinda insane how this one was written by Oakley & Weinstein, whose showrunning tenure ended up being such an contrasting opposite of Scully's.
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 07-09-2020 at 12:59 AM.

That scene of the virus clouds stopping at traffic lights reminded me of a Scully joke.

25. Thumbs Up To This Post by: wiley207

Blog Entries

This might be an unpopular opinion, but I always thought that episodes, like "Deep Space Homer", "Lisa vs Malibu Stacy" and "Bart Gets An Elephant" had a tiny feel of Scully era.

Don't get me wrong, these episodes felt like something that David Mirkin would write, but nobody can deny that they were pretty wacky episodes for their time that sometimes makes you feel like Scully would have wrote the Simpson family in a situation like these that are presented in these three episodes.

I mean, "Deep Space Homer" is an episode that tells the story of Homer Simpson going to space, a very unlikely situation to put him through and although not impossible, it still is really wacky, outlandish and absurd.

The same thing can be said about "Bart Gets An Elephant", in which case, the elephant would have immediately run away or be taken by the Animal rescue.

Finally, "Lisa vs Malibu Stacy" sounds a little like a situation that Scully Lisa would go through, since this was the time when Lisa became a more active activist.

Eh, Lisa's character in Lisa vs. Malibu Stacy didn't seem that Scully-ish to me. Lisa the Vegetarian was admittedly more Scullyish, but I still wasn't as bothered by her character as many other people were.

Quote Originally Posted by ManuelMaiden95 View Post
    Homerpalooza and The Homer They Fall.

Homer Goes to College is wacky but it never felt like Scully to me. Scully is not just wackiness but his episodes have also a certain flavour, a certain structure and a certain sense of humor.
    Homer Goes to College only has the wackiness but the humour and the way it is structured doesn't feel like Scully to me.
    It feels like a wackier than usual classic episode. Scully era has a whole different tone to it.

As I said, I feel like Homerpalooza and The Homer They Fall may be the most similar to Scully in the Classic era. Both are stronger than average Scully episodes but both are flawed in their absurd premises that feel like they came out of nowhere.
    I still like those episodes though, but they could pass like strong Scully episodes.
    Homer Goes to College on the other hand would be the best Scully episode by miles and a rare gem if it aired under Scully.
    As I said, I never felt like it could belong to that era.
    I still think Homer Goes to College would get a lot of criticism even if it were made during the Scully era. Not because it's bad, which it isn't, but because Homer is incredibly stupid and obnoxious. He never really gets his comeuppance for his bad behavior, like kidnapping the pig or running over the dean, a common complaint of Scully's episodes. The Scully comparisons are understandable.
    But I agree it would be considered one of the best Scully episodes if he did produce it. It has a higher ratio of jokes that land and a story that's better structured, so it would stand out for that.
    Last edited by Jerkass Scully; 07-06-2020 at 07:43 AM.

Lisa was portrayed as an activist since at least season 4. Her activism was not a problem during the Classic era because she was a likeable character with clear motivations and she was not a jerk who treated everyone poorly and thought she had it right.
    The first episode with those characteristics was Lisa the Vegetarian but it's still a great episode because we are not supposed to believe that what she did was right and you can still empathize with her. And of course the humour is great but that's another topic.
    On the other hand modern Lisa is way too preachy and acts more as a teenager than an 8 year old girl. She's used to represent any cause that the writers stand for. She's not portrayed as a likeable character that you would empathize with and what's worse is that the episodes want you to root for Lisa instead of showing her behaviour as wrong.

And I still think that Homer Goes to College doesn't feel like a Scully episode. Yes, Homer's characterization resembles Scully but there's more than just that. Scully episodes have a specific sense of humour and a specific way to structure a story that is not present in Homer Goes to College.

Homer Goes to College is the quintessential Mirkin episode. Maybe taken too far but it still feels like Mirkin and not like Scully to me.

Almost forgot Mountain of Madness. The rocket house at the end screams of Scully.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover Hendrix View Post
    Anybody think Burns' Heir was Scullyish? Especially the twist that the Family was fake and was working with the Simpsons to study their character. Not to mention the exploding heads at the movie theater.
    The difference between Mirkin and Scully is that Mirkin was really only surreal in the gags. Even "Deep Space Homer" is executed in a somewhat realistic manner. Scully, on the other hand, would have totally wacky plots. Sometimes it's zany from the beginning of the episode. Other times, it will start out normal but have rando, third act plot twists.

Junior Camper

Homer was a bigger jerk in Dead Putting Society and thats all the way in season 2. As for the original question, Mr. Plow has a lot of gags that wouldnt be out of place during that era (Bart finding money in Bonnie and Clyde's death car, Adam West driving the Batmobile, the random cameos by West and Linda Ronstadt).

The City of NY vs. Homer Simpson gave me Scully vibes. It would still be above average for a Scully episode though

Come to think of it, Ian Maxtone-Graham's other episode produced under O&W, Burns Baby Burns, feels Scullyish to me. Maybe that's just Ian's style.

Thread Information