Thread: Do you ever feel the Classic Era is too short?

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Do you ever feel the Classic Era is too short?

The last few weeks I've been watching the Simpsons in order and I plan to stop watching after season 9 or maybe some episodes of season 10.
    I'm already by season 4 and I got this weird feeling that I had already watched half of the truly perfect seasons. It made me feel like the Classic era is too short.
    I know that it wasn't, that most shows don't even make it to the third season without dropping in quality. But it still makes me sad that in two months I can easily finish watching all the Classic era (I'm usually watching 2 or 3 episodes a day on average)
    Have you ever had this feeling?

2. Thumbs Up To This Post by: BartArt

I can't say I've had that feeling. It only seems short relative to the mammoth number of post-classic seasons. 8/9 great years is still a long time and an astonishing feat.
    SEASON 31 GRADES

The Winter of Our Monetized Content - 3/5 / Go Big or Go Homer - 2.5/5 / The Fat Blue Line - 3/5
    Treehouse of Horror XXX - 2/5 / Gorillas on the Mast - 2.5/5 / Marge the Lumberjill - 2/5
    Livin' La Pura Vida - 4.5/5 / Thanksgiving of Horror - 5/5 / Todd, Todd, Why Hast Thou Forsaken Me? - 3.5/5
    Bobby, It's Cold Outside - 2.5/5 / Hail to the Teeth - 2/5 / The Miseducation of Lisa Simpson - 3.5/5
    Frinkcoin - 3/5 / Bart the Bad Guy - 4.5/5 / Screenless - 4/5 / Better Off Ned - 1.5/5
    Highway to Well - 3.5/5 / The Incredible Lightness of Being a Baby - 3/5 / Warrin' Priests (Part 1) - 2.5/5
    Warrin' Priests (Part 2) - 2/5 / The Hateful Eight-Year-Olds - 4/5
    / Way of the Dog - 4.5/5

Blog Entries

It's gonna feel short if you're binging. Maybe pace it a little more, like one a day or two a week?
    Season 31 just sucked.

I tried to do the same and started feeling a little tired by season 7, episode 20, Bart on the road. I remembered many scenes from it but I was surprised by how little I enjoyed it.. maybe I was tired by that point and i should revisit it but It felt like the beginning of the end for me.. There were still so many great episodes that followed it.

I've been watching some Seinfeld clips on youtube and it's interesting to see how series from the 90s are experiencing a revival with younger people, like Friends. It was funny seeing them talk about how much fun they had working on the show and revisiting the memories they made.. giving insights on the process. It made me wish that the simpsons had ended their run after season 9.. I know a few people have asked if people thought that the simpsons' reputation had suffered because of the later seasons, I don't think so but I feel like I could be convinced otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankbags View Post
    I tried to do the same and started feeling a little tired by season 7, episode 20, Bart on the road. I remembered many scenes from it but I was surprised by how little I enjoyed it.. maybe I was tired by that point and i should revisit it but It felt like the beginning of the end for me.. There were still so many great episodes that followed it.

I've been watching some Seinfeld clips on youtube and it's interesting to see how series from the 90s are experiencing a revival with younger people, like Friends. It was funny seeing them talk about how much fun they had working on the show and revisiting the memories they made.. giving insights on the process. It made me wish that the simpsons had ended their run after season 9.. I know a few people have asked if people thought that the simpsons' reputation had suffered because of the later seasons, I don't think so but I feel like I could be convinced otherwise.
    I remember the last episodes of season 7 being some of my favourites. But I haven't watched them in a while so I will tell you when I get there.
    Watching the show in order really makes you appreciate and realize a lot of things. It's something everyone should do at least once. You can clearly notice the evolution of the show, the change of style by different showrunners and a lot of things that you don't appreciate if you don't watch them in order.
    It's also very interesting to notice when each new character gets introduced.

7. Thumbs Up To This Post by: bboynexus

Quote Originally Posted by ManuelMaiden95 View Post
    I remember the last episodes of season 7 being some of my favourites. But I haven't watched them in a while so I will tell you when I get there.
    Watching the show in order really makes you appreciate and realize a lot of things. It's something everyone should do at least once. You can clearly notice the evolution of the show, the change of style by different showrunners and a lot of things that you don't appreciate if you don't watch them in order.
    It's also very interesting to notice when each new character gets introduced.
    I can attest to this having done so over the past two years.

No, but I definitely feel the Silver and Bronze Ages of the show is defintiely TOO LONG.

Pin Pal

I've never thought of 200 episodes as too short. Most shows don't make it to 100 and stay that good. It probably feels shorts because the post-classic era has double that amount and will most likely triple it eventually.

I never felt that it was too short. It has pretty much the perfect length at 8 to 9 seasons (depending if you count season 9 as part of the classic era) and didn't run for longer than it needed to, plus I think that amount of seasons is a pretty good cutoff point for any series (if it's more of a long runner). Even if a good great show goes on for much longer than that, it will get stale to some degree.

To tell the truth, not really. This is partly because I don't even consider The Simpsons' post-golden age to be the same show -
    especially those seasons that have been produced after The Simpsons Movie.

Sad to say, but now we're much further from The Simpsons Movie than The Simpsons Movie was from good Simpsons.
    ⠀⠀

Thread Information