• Season 10

7 17.50%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Season 9 or 10?

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

Season 9 or 10?

Which one do you pick?

It's a hard one, but i'l pick season 10 before season 9.

Wants to be a sweetie pie Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

That's the biggest drop-off in the show. 9 by a landslide.
    Favorite and least favorite by season
    1. Life on the Fast Lane Homer’s Night Out 2. Bart Gets an F Dead Putting Society 3. Homer at the Bat Like Father, Like Clown 4. Brother From the Same Planet Krusty Gets Kancelled 5. Cape Feare Lady Bouvier’s Lover 6. Homer Badman Another Simpsons Clip Show 7. King-Size Homer Lisa the Iconoclast 8. Homer’s Enemy The Simpsons Spin-Off Showcase 9. Bart Carny The Trouble With Trillions 10. Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo Homer Simpson in: “Kidney Trouble” 11. Guess Who’s Coming to Criticize Dinner? Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder 12. HOMЯ Tennis the Menace 13. Tales From the Public Domain She of Little Faith 14. The Dad Who Knew Too Little Helter Shelter 15. I, (Annoyed Grunt)-bot Bart-Mangled Banner 16. A Star is Torn On a Clear Day I Can’t See My Sister 17. My Fair Laddy Bonfire of the Manatees 18. The Haw-Hawed Couple You Kent Always Say What You Want 19. Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind All About Lisa 20. Gone Maggie Gone The Good, the Sad and the Drugly 21. The Bob Next Door The Color Yellow 22. Donnie Fatso Love is a Many Strangled Thing 23. The Falcon and the D’ohman A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again 24. Hardly Kirk-ing Moonshine River 25. The War of Art What to Expect When Bart’s Expecting 26. Sky Police Let’s Go Fly a Coot 27. Halloween of Horror Lisa With an ‘S’ 28. There Will Be Buds Moho House 29. Springfield Splendor Throw Grampa From the Dane 30. Daddicus Finch I Want You (She’s So Heavy) 31. Thanksgiving of Horror Warrin’ Priests (Part Two)

Blog Entries

Season 10 is very underrated!

I enjoy Season 9 more, but Season 10 is close for me.
    Get woke, go broke

Blog Entries

i dunno this is kind of hard. 9 is massively overrated though, so i'll lean to 10

Blog Entries

This is a tough one. Season 9 is closer to in style to the classic era and has a couple of episodes that are just fantastic. On the other hand, the season has quite a few episodes that aren't all that great or are just forgettable. Plus it's got two character destroying episodes ("Principal and the Pauper" & "Lisa the Simpson").

Now season 10 is when Scully's style began to take shape so the bad episodes do stand out more, but I still like the season. A good amount of the episodes are still well written and contain a lot of sharp humour. Maybe not to the calibre of the classic era, but it's definitely the last time when the show could still be considered "good".

It's close but I think I'll have to go with season 9, just because the good episodes in that season can be classic-era quality and the bad episodes are just letdowns. Whereas the good episodes in season 10 are fun but the bad episodes are downright terrible.
    Season 1: The humble beginnings -- Seasons 2-8: The classic era -- Season 9: The first season where noticeable flaws began to appear -- Season 10: The last decent season -- Season 11: The first BAD season -- Season 12: The last season with episodes worth watching -- Seasons 13-Present: Zombie Simpsons

a whiz with cold drinks Frightened Inmate No. 2's Avatar
    Blog Entries

really close. 9 might have more standouts, but it also has more episodes that are close to being lame. 10, barely.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny Sandford II View Post
    While not humorous, would be cool if someone actually put this in their sig.

Even the noblest concerto can be stripped of its beauty and soul

Handsomest guy in school Unxplained Bacon's Avatar

Seriously? S10 has When You Dish Upon a Star, Kidney Trouble (although I don't hate it) and Monty Can't Buy Me Love. Nothing in S9 (except maybe TPATP) is that offensive. Then there's some pretty average episodes like Sunday, Cruddy Sunday, Maximum Homerdrive, Simpsons Bible Stories, The Old Man and the "C" Student and They Saved Lisa's Brain, which are outshined by almost every S9 Episode.

That said, I do enjoy S10, but it sees the death of the classic era (IMO). If you love Homer, I could see someone preferring S10, but other than that I don't think so.

I personally don't understand why some people like to lump seasons 9 and 10 together. In my opinion, season 9 has a great mix of styles by featuring episodes by many different showrunners, and is also Mike Scully at his best. The drop off in quality between these two seasons signifies the death of the classic era in my eyes. Season 9 wins this easily.

Stonecutter
    Blog Entries

Season 9 because I think it is the last classic-era season. It's not a perfect season mainly because the forgettable episodes (Bart Star, Natural Born Kissers and The Last Temptation of Krust.) and the infamous Principal and the Pauper kind of hurts the season a little bit, but it still has a lot of great episodes to make up for those ones. Season 10 is not a classic season, but it's still a pretty good season and it still has some episodes that can be considered classic. (Lisa Gets an 'A', Wizard of Evergreen Terrace, Lard of the Dance and Bart the Mother.) It does have a few forgettable episodes, but the only episode I dislike is Wild Barts Can't Be Broken. When You Dish Upon a Star is a huge guilty pleasure and Viva Ned Flanders always felt like a classic episode to me. It's easily the best post-classic Scully season.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerkass Homer View Post
    I guess this is the same Nicholson who did Joker in the Batman 1989 movie.

Wants to be a sweetie pie Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BuyMyCereal View Post
    the only episode I dislike is Wild Barts Can't Be Broken.
    That's one of the best episodes of season 10. Why do you dislike it?

Stonecutter
    Blog Entries

It's just too juvenile for my tastes.

Blog Entries

To me, season 9 is part of the classic era (one of the weaker classic seasons, but still very solid), while season 10 is a transition between classic and post-classic. With the possible exception of The Principal and the Pauper, season 9 doesn't have a single bad episode. There are plenty of great early Scully episodes (and a few mediocre ones) combined with an eclectic mix of holdovers from past showrunners. Season 10 has When You Dish Upon a Star, Sunday, Cruddy Sunday, Make Room for Lisa, and Homer Simpson in: "Kidney Trouble", among other weak episodes. It's still got some great ones (Lisa Gets an "A", Wild Barts Can't Be Broken), but it's far less consistent than season 9.

A Lonely, Insignificant Speck Insanity Pepper's Avatar
    A Has-Been Planet Orbited by a Cold, Indifferent Sun

I definitely don't consider Season 9 part of the classic era (even 8 is marginal). But it's still a good season overall, and distinctly better than 10 (which is also good overall). Occasionally, an episode almost reminiscent of the classic era in terms of quality would appear even in Season 10 (although usually with some noticeable attributes that aren't reminiscent of the classic era), notably Das Bus, Lisa's Sax, City of New York vs, Homer Simpson, Realty Bites, The Joy of Sect, King of the Hill, Lost Our Lisa, Natural Born Kissers, Lard of the Dance (specifically the main plot), Lisa Gets an 'A,' Wild Barts Can't Be Broken, Make Room for Lisa (which is a guilty pleasure I guess), and They Saved Lisa's Brain. There are more of these episodes in Season 9. It was also when poor quality became more regular, and didn't just occur in outliers like in Season 8. Maybe there wasn't a high rate of terrible episodes, but there was a lot of mediocrity with a few terrible episodes like Trash of the Titans, Last Temptation of Krust, Dumbbell Indemnity, and The Trouble With Trillions. The quality continued to slip in Season 10, with more frequent sub-par episodes that tended to be of worse quality. No Season 9 episode is as bad as When You Dish Upon a Star or Monty Can't Buy Me Love. There are definitely a lot more noticeable typical Scully attributes in 10 than there are in 9 (although 9 has its share of them).

Quote Originally Posted by BuyMyCereal View Post
    It's just too juvenile for my tastes.
    When I think of juvenile Scully episodes, probably about 95% of them come to mind before Wild Barts Can't Be Broken.

Stonecutter
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Insanity Pepper View Post
    When I think of juvenile Scully episodes, probably about 95% of them come to mind before Wild Barts Can't Be Broken.

Yeah... that's not juvenile at all.

Blog Entries

that's one line in a song in a 22 min episode. lots crasser has been said before that

Blog Entries

it's juvenile in that it is primarily about children, yes

A Lonely, Insignificant Speck Insanity Pepper's Avatar
    A Has-Been Planet Orbited by a Cold, Indifferent Sun

One awful line that takes up about 5 seconds and has no effect on the rest of the episode is enough to spoil the whole episode?

Stonecutter
    Blog Entries

Then there's this line "Now you're thinking, 'I hope that's shepherd's pie in my knickers!'" but that's not the only reason I dislike the episode. It just has many forced jokes and the plot is just cheesy.

Blog Entries

Good episode. Piss opinion.

Blog Entries

yeah wild barts is a pretty great episode

Blog Entries

haha @BuyMyCereal also gave a 5/5 to the VERY JUVENILE crossover episode

Stonecutter
    Blog Entries

For fuck sake! I didn't say I was against juvenile humor, I just didn't think it was done well in that episode.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Season 9 wins this easily. It does have some meh episodes but it also has plenty of great episodes and i overall consider it classic. Season 10 has some great episodes but also a lot of medicore/bad episodes. It is enjoyable overall but a massive decline compared to the classic seasons. I say it´s closer in quality to season 13-16. Decent but by no means classic.

Season 9

Blog Entries

Both seasons are about just as good. The major difference is that season 10 is more consistent, while season 9 episodes range way too much from A to F ratings. Episodes like The City of New York vs Homer Simpson, Lisa's Sax, The Cardridge family are all episodes that could be classics. But then you have episodes like Bart Carny, Principal and the Pauper, Thrash of the Titans which are close to reach an F.

I don't really hate any episode of season 10, which is something I can't say for season 9. But season 9 has more great episodes. Its pretty much a tie but I'll give the slight edge to season 10.
    Episodes rated best and worst from each season:
    1: Krusty Gets Busted/Homer's Night Out 2: The Way We Was/Bart's Dog Gets an F 3: Colonel Homer/Dog of Death 4: Marge vs. The Monorail/So It's Come to This: A Simpsons Clip Show 5: Cape Feare/Bart Gets An Elephant 6: Treehouse of Horror V/Another Simpsons Clip Show 7: Mother Simpson/Homerpalooza 8: You Only Move Twice/The Canine Mutiny 9: Lisa's Sax/The Two Mrs. Nahasapeemapetilons 10: Lisa Gets an A/Sunday Cruddy Sunday 11: Behind The Laughter/Beyond Blunderdome 12: Trilogy of Error/The Computer Wore Menace Shoes 13: I Am Furious Yellow/Homer the Moe 14: The Dad Who Knew Too Little/Large Marge 15: The Way We Weren't/Diatribe of a Mad Housewife 16: Thank God Its Doomsday/Mommie Beerest 17: Marge's Son Poisoning/Bonfire of the Manatees 18: Marge Gamer/Revenge is Best Served Three Times 19: Treehouse of Horror XVIII/That 90's Show 20: Gone Maggie Gone/Coming To Homerica 21: O Brother, Where Bart thou?/The Devil Wears Nada 22: Homer Scissorhands/The Fool Monty 23: Holidays of Future Passed/Moe Goes From Rags To Riches 24: Adventures In Baby-Getting/Whiskey Business 25: Brick Like Me/White Christmas Blues 26: Bart's New Friend/The Musk Who Fell to Earth 27: Halloween of Horror/Every Man's Dream 28: There Will Be Buds/Moho House 29: Gone Boy/Throw Grampa from the Dane

Seasons 9 and 10 are both very underrated on NHC in my opinion, mostly season 10, but despite a few great episodes (Maximum Homerdrive, Mom and Pop Art, Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo), the second half of season 10 - after Homer to the Max - is less good, so I vote for season 9.
    Season Rankings : 7 > 5 > 6 > 8 > 4 > 9 > 3 > 2 > 10 > 15 > 16 > 1 > 11 > 14 > 12 > 20 > 18 > 17 > 19 > 13.

Season 9

My brain... OldSchoolerSimpsons's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Since I consider seasons 9-11 (It makes me sad I even have to include 9 since I used to see more like for it) the most underrated ones of the show I obviously like both of them. But as great as 10 is (I think it's part of the classic era, which I know many don't agree with), 9 still wins me over a little since it simply has more heart. You don't get as emotional as say, during Mother Simpson or Old Money, but there are still some very sweet moments that remind me of why I love this family. The humor is also excellent throughout, and the mix of various showrunners makes for a very tonally interesting batch. For those who miss some of the previous showrunners you get to see the last efforts of Oakley & Weinstein and David Mirkin. Unfortunately All Singing, All Dancing is by far the worst episode of the season, but he did get to go out on the brilliant The Joy Of Sect.
    Part of the reason why it's so divisive among fans is The Principal And The Pauper, which just feels silly at this point. Hasn't the show committed way worse sins by now? But I've gone over that one before, so won't waste my breath again.
    My favorite is probably The City Of New York Vs. Homer Simpson. Next to Bart Gets An 'F' and Who Shot Mr. Burns? (Part Two), one of the greatest season premieres of the entire series.

However, what 10 lacks in emotion (it's there though, just not as much) it compensates with its humor. Seriously, for a show into its tenth season, the jokes are still impressively sharp at this point. Not a single episode doesn't give me at least a few laughs, and a couple like The Wizard Of Evergreen Terrace, Treehouse Of Horror IX (the best Scully Halloween special), Lisa Gets An 'A', Viva Ned Flanders, The Old Man And The 'C' Student and Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo are timeless laugh affairs. I've also always had a soft spot for D'oh-in' In The Wind, which I think is one of the major unsung gems.

These are seen as the beginning of the end, but that couldn't be further from the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by scully apologist;bt39949
    "KONY 2012"

Thread Information