What shows are better at being The Simpsons than The Simpsons.

Fact: The Simpsons of the past 20 years is a completely different show from The Simpsons of the golden age.

Another fact: The Simpsons has had a tremendous impact on animated comedy, as well as comedy in general.

My question is, what shows do you feel are more similar to classic Simpsons than modern Simpsons is? Which shows manages to do what The Simpsons did back in the 90's?

In terms comedic wit and jokes that subverse audience expectations, I feel that three animated shows that managed to re-capture the spirit of classic Simpsons quite well were Futurama (not surprising given its creators), older Family Guy (the first few seasons, before the show got tired) and Phineas and Ferb. These were all shows that, at least in their respective prime years, managed to spew out clever unexpected gag after clever unexpected gag.

Then we got shows which I feel managed to blend great comedy with engaging storylines in a way similar to that of classic Simpsons. Two shows that both come to mind, as different as they are from each other, are Scrubs and Gravity Falls. Oh and once again Futurama.

My brain... OldSchoolerSimpsons's Avatar
    Blog Entries

King Of The Hill I think qualifies. The strength of the wit and characters that feel very "real" is something the show in its classic age accomplished really well.
    Quote Originally Posted by scully apologist;bt39949
    "KONY 2012"

I don't think any show is "better", but a show that I think was influenced by The Simpsons that shows equally well is Rick and Morty.

Well, if you want a show about "regular" american family, "Bob's Burgers" is an obvious pick.
    But If you want more "adult" take on cartoons and some twisted social commentary then I think "Ugly Americans" are a forgotten child of the Simpsons....

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

Bob’s Burgers no questions asked. It does what the Simpsons used to do so well, being grounded in realism. It makes the stories more relatable to viewers and that’s why people loved the Simpsons in the first place.
    The Central, King of Harts, Burger-loving, American family guy.

CROSSING SWORDS SEASON 1 * PILOT 0/5 * EPISODE 2 0.5/5 * EPISODE 3 0/5 * EPISODE 4 0/5 * EPISODE 5 0/5 * EPISODE 6 0.5/5 * EPISODE 7 1/5 * EPISODE 8 2.5/5 * EPISODE 9 3/5 * EPISODE 10 3/5

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolerSimpsons View Post
    King Of The Hill I think qualifies. The strength of the wit and characters that feel very "real" is something the show in its classic age accomplished really well.
    Ah yes that one is also a good one. I hope Bless the Harts lives up to KOTH in the future. It has potential to be just as good if not better than KOTH.

Wants to be a sweetie pie Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

In terms of satire and global popularity, I don’t think anything has matched or will match The Simpsons. Part of it is because television is so fragmented now and there are so many channels and shows are on streaming services, one show probably isn’t going to capture the masses the way The Simpsons did in the early ’90s. I’m also not really hearing of shows that break the mold anymore. The Simpsons was nothing like people had seen before. But now it seems all comedies are about dysfunctional families. I don’t watch many shows besides Simpsons, but I don’t think anything I’ve seen comes close to emulating classic Simpsons.
    Favorite and least favorite by season
    1. Life on the Fast Lane Homer’s Night Out 2. Bart Gets an F Dead Putting Society 3. Homer at the Bat Like Father, Like Clown 4. Brother From the Same Planet Krusty Gets Kancelled 5. Cape Feare Lady Bouvier’s Lover 6. Homer Badman Another Simpsons Clip Show 7. King-Size Homer Lisa the Iconoclast 8. Homer’s Enemy The Simpsons Spin-Off Showcase 9. Bart Carny The Trouble With Trillions 10. Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo Homer Simpson in: “Kidney Trouble” 11. Guess Who’s Coming to Criticize Dinner? Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder 12. HOMЯ Tennis the Menace 13. Tales From the Public Domain She of Little Faith 14. The Dad Who Knew Too Little Helter Shelter 15. I, (Annoyed Grunt)-bot Bart-Mangled Banner 16. A Star is Torn On a Clear Day I Can’t See My Sister 17. My Fair Laddy Bonfire of the Manatees 18. The Haw-Hawed Couple You Kent Always Say What You Want 19. Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind All About Lisa 20. Gone Maggie Gone The Good, the Sad and the Drugly 21. The Bob Next Door The Color Yellow 22. Donnie Fatso Love is a Many Strangled Thing 23. The Falcon and the D’ohman A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again 24. Hardly Kirk-ing Moonshine River 25. The War of Art What to Expect When Bart’s Expecting 26. Sky Police Let’s Go Fly a Coot 27. Halloween of Horror Lisa With an ‘S’ 28. There Will Be Buds Moho House 29. Springfield Splendor Throw Grampa From the Dane 30. Daddicus Finch I Want You (She’s So Heavy) 31. Thanksgiving of Horror Warrin’ Priests (Part Two)

Quote Originally Posted by Financial Panther View Post
    In terms of satire and global popularity, I don’t think anything has matched or will match The Simpsons. Part of it is because television is so fragmented now and there are so many channels and shows are on streaming services, one show probably isn’t going to capture the masses the way The Simpsons did in the early ’90s. I’m also not really hearing of shows that break the mold anymore. The Simpsons was nothing like people had seen before. But now it seems all comedies are about dysfunctional families. I don’t watch many shows besides Simpsons, but I don’t think anything I’ve seen comes close to emulating classic Simpsons.
    I'm not really talking about matching it in popularity or influence though, just in terms of content. I should say though that I don't think ANY show has quite managed to match classic Simpsons in terms of quality, but some are definitely rather similar to the show.

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolerSimpsons View Post
    King Of The Hill I think qualifies.
    I definitely think a lot of people would agree. King of the Hill was honestly so good and popular that it would could probably have survived to this day too.

Thread Information