Hybrid View

Episodes that could have been great if produced during the Classic Era

One example that comes to mind is The Blunder Years. I like the episode, I think it adds depth to the character of Waylon Smithers and the story is interesting but it suffers a lot from coming out late in the series.
    Many of the jokes don't land and they waste too much time with Homer screaming and Marge being obssessed with the paper towels guy.
    If the episode had been produced during the Oakley/Weinstein era I think it would have been a lot better.
    What other examples can you think of?

I think there's probably a huge proportion of post Classic Era episodes that could have been at least 8 out of 10's if done in the Classic Era.

The better question would be how many would fail to be Classic Era standard if their plots were transplanted to the Classic Era, because there are well over 100 episodes that would definitely improve, but not as much that would fail to improve significantly

Quote Originally Posted by Snorky View Post
    I think there's probably a huge proportion of post Classic Era episodes that could have been at least 8 out of 10's if done in the Classic Era.

The better question would be how many would fail to be Classic Era standard if their plots were transplanted to the Classic Era, because there are well over 100 episodes that would definitely improve, but not as much that would fail to improve significantly
    I think many stories like Lisa vs Lady Gaga, Saddlescore Galactica, etc would be weak even in the classic era because the plots are very weak altogether.
    On the other hand I can think of some Classic era episodes that could have been easily ruined if done in the post classic seasons.
    One of them is Homie the Clown, it is a great episode and one of the funniest but I don't think the story is that great. But the humour and the execution are so good that it ends up being a great episode. But one that could have easily been bad if done during the Scully years for example.

Many newer episodes have a good idea but poor execution,and almost certainly would have been much better if produced by the staff of the first 8 seasons

Thread Information