Thread: Your favourite references/parodies The Simpsons have done?

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Birthplace of the Flaming Moe Welcome to Moe's's Avatar

Question Your favourite references/parodies The Simpsons have done?

As we all know the list is endless in regards to the parodies that The Simpsons have done, whether it's Star Wars, Clockwork Orange, The Shining, South Park etc.

I've always felt The Simpsons have done parodies really well in regards to paying tribute to the things they are making a parody of in good light and with respect, it's a compliment really though I'm sure we all have our favourites?

For me, I love it when they do the Peanuts/Charlie Brown stuff, I've always felt they did these really well, I love the South Park parody they did in O Brother Where Art Thou, I thought that was really good and I also felt that The Flintstones parodies were done well too considering The Flintstones were the last really successful animated sitcom until The Simpsons came along and I LOVED seeing King Of The Hill and Ren & Stimpy in The Simpsons, some others are Mario, Minecraft etc.. which were great, there are so many but I'd love you guys to share some of yours also.

Collection of Peanuts parodies

South Park Parody

Flintstones Parodies

King of the Hill

Ren and Stimpy

Mario

Minecraft

So which parodies are your favourites and why?

'"Uh, Hugh Jass! D'oh, somebody check the men's room for a Hugh Jass"

Impossible to remember all the parodies that The Simpsons have done to make a concrete choice. But I choose the parody of How I Wet Your Mother to Inception. I love that movie, and The Simpsons do a great job of parodying it.

In addition, I like most of the scenes in which references or tributes to classic episodes are made, as in Caper Chase, which starts with a baseball game of the Nuclear Plant team as in Homer at the Bat, to name just one example.
    Last retrospective: Homer Defined (S03E05)

My project of rating and reviewing every episode of Rick and Morty (completed!)

My project of rating and reviewing every episode of BoJack Horseman (last episode: The Telescope)

Ah yeah, that's the thing ain't it, they've done loads but we tend to have a few that we remember the most due to what we like etc.. like the one's in the OP for me

I like that too when they do the references to the classic episodes, I think it's really good when they do that

The Planet Of The Apes musical in 'A Fish Called Selma' is one that immediately comes to my mind as a clear favorite. One of the show's finest parodies both in concept and execution.

Quote Originally Posted by CousinMerl View Post
    The Planet Of The Apes musical in 'A Fish Called Selma' is one that immediately comes to my mind as a clear favorite. One of the show's finest parodies both in concept and execution.
    Oh yeah, I forgot about that but that's a good one

It's tough to pick one or even a few, especially if we're including subtle references through visual gags and whatnot. Some of the scenes mimicking A Clockwork Orange, or The Godfather parody where Lisa wakes up to a horse's head in her bed (attached to a live horse, thankfully in her case) are classic moments. They also work because they're good scenes and jokes that work even if you don't get the reference.

In terms of extended parodies, the Peanuts send-up is one of their better moments from the post-classic era. Similarly, I liked the Harry Potter spoof in a post-classic THOH episode. It wasn't exactly a beat for beat, character for character parody (and of course, Harry himself shows up blowing a bubble from chewable brimstone), but that's why it worked. Incorporating a Dragnet parody into "Mother Simpson" - with Harry Morgan guest starring, no less - was a fun bit of levity in an otherwise serious and touching episode.
    A little less Generic than before.

Yeah those are good, and yeah just any that come to mind for you basically, I know there's been so many but whether they are subtle or not, just anything you like really I'd like to hear

They are really good at this are The Simpsons, they do it with respect too that it's nothing but a compliment to whoever they are doing the parody of.

Professional Teleporter Mícheál's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I like the South Park parody that you have up there (they've done others as well, but that particular one is my favourite South Park reference).

I also quite like the references they do to "2001: A Space Odyssey" and especially the "A Clockwork Orange" ones too. They're always done really well.

But my favourite references to see on The Simpsons, are the references to famous car-chase scenes in movies like "Bullitt." I just think they're really funny. The best one I've seen is the one to (I think) "White Lightning" in "Homer the Heretic.

I haven't necessarily seen these movies that they're referencing, but I just think that they are always the funniest references for them to do.

https://youtu.be/fGQkGFhLKeA?t=127
    "I may or may not die young. I haven't decided yet."

Ah yeah, I've just watched that now, yeah they do so many, I think loads of them I don't even notice are parodies haha, but they are really good at them.

It's good too when you do recognise these things, cause you don't have to recognise them though when you do, it's great

Edit: Another parody I really liked was the Ali G one, just watching season 18 now and this just came on.

Last edited by Welcome to Moe's; 01-31-2018 at 07:51 AM.

Professional Teleporter Mícheál's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Steamed Mr Bergstrom View Post
    Edit: Another parody I really liked was the Ali G one, just watching season 18 now and this just came on.

Haha, yeah that one was great. I like their joke with the belt and Homer dropping the ice-cream scoop and ripping his trousers.

You know I was just thinking.The Family Guy writers primarily do references to movies like "Star Wars," "Back to the Future," and "Star Trek."

And The Simpsons writers do a lot of references to "A Clockwork Orange," "2001: A Space Odyssey" (actually Kubrick films in general), "To Kill a Mockingbird" and "Citizen Kane" (I'm pretty sure that Al Jean has said that they've parodied and referenced "Citizen Kane" so many times, that it might actually be possible to piece together the entire Citizen Kane film from scenes from The Simpsons).

So not only are The Simpsons writers mathematicians, they also have quite a sophisticated taste in movies. I mean just the other day Josh Weinstein said on Twitter that they used to have an Edgar Allan Poe commemorative candle in the writers room.

Yeah this is true, I know they have done a few Star Wars references too but absolutely. I think The Simpsons parodies are so widespread too like they seem to do something that will appeal to everyone not just do things that appeal to them if you get what I mean, which also makes them good and versatile, it also shows their talent too in regards to being able to do this.

I really do hope they do a Rocko's Modern Life parody at some point though and a more substantial Beavis and Butthead lol

12. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Mícheál

It depends on the era. The Simpsons has ramped up the contemporary references as the years have gone by. Of course, even in the early days there were references to Batman '89 (Bart grabbing a guy by the shirt and saying "I'm Bartman!", Lisa smashing the mirror a la The Joker in "Last Exit to Springfield"). Later on, they parodied the Star Wars prequesl with "Cosmic Wars", though they referenced The Empire Strikes Back directly in a flashback many years before that.

Wants to be a sweetie pie Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Most parodies fly over my head because I don’t watch many movies or TV shows besides Simpsons, but in the classic era, the parodies were funny if if you didn’t get them, so it didn’t matter to me. I read and later watched The Shining a couple years ago, and that parody is one of the best ever done. The best post-classic parody that I understand is It’s a Grand Pumpkin, Mihouse. Easily one of the top post-classic THOH segments.
    Favorite and least favorite by season
    1. Life on the Fast Lane Homer’s Night Out 2. Bart Gets an F Dead Putting Society 3. Homer at the Bat Like Father, Like Clown 4. Brother From the Same Planet Krusty Gets Kancelled 5. Cape Feare Lady Bouvier’s Lover 6. Homer Badman Another Simpsons Clip Show 7. King-Size Homer Lisa the Iconoclast 8. Homer’s Enemy The Simpsons Spin-Off Showcase 9. Bart Carny The Trouble With Trillions 10. Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo Homer Simpson in: “Kidney Trouble” 11. Guess Who’s Coming to Criticize Dinner? Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder 12. HOMЯ Tennis the Menace 13. Tales From the Public Domain She of Little Faith 14. The Dad Who Knew Too Little Helter Shelter 15. I, (Annoyed Grunt)-bot Bart-Mangled Banner 16. A Star is Torn On a Clear Day I Can’t See My Sister 17. My Fair Laddy Bonfire of the Manatees 18. The Haw-Hawed Couple You Kent Always Say What You Want 19. Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind All About Lisa 20. Gone Maggie Gone The Good, the Sad and the Drugly 21. The Bob Next Door The Color Yellow 22. Donnie Fatso Love is a Many Strangled Thing 23. The Falcon and the D’ohman A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again 24. Hardly Kirk-ing Moonshine River 25. The War of Art What to Expect When Bart’s Expecting 26. Sky Police Let’s Go Fly a Coot 27. Halloween of Horror Lisa With an ‘S’ 28. There Will Be Buds Moho House 29. Springfield Splendor Throw Grampa From the Dane 30. Daddicus Finch I Want You (She’s So Heavy) 31. Thanksgiving of Horror Warrin’ Priests (Part Two)

The best parodies are those that manage to be funny without one being familiar with the source material (the classic era was very good at this, yes, but there's also been instances in the post-classic era), but most often it does help if one has as they usually become funnier then.

Absolutely. Growing up watching the show, I wasn't familiar with a lot of references until they were specifically pointed out, or I watched the original works and finally recognised what they were referring to. Fleshed out parodies can certainly be very entertaining, but it's great when references can work even if you don't recognise that that's what they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Financial Panther View Post
    Most parodies fly over my head because I don’t watch many movies or TV shows besides Simpsons, but in the classic era, the parodies were funny if if you didn’t get them, so it didn’t matter to me. I read and later watched The Shining a couple years ago, and that parody is one of the best ever done. The best post-classic parody that I understand is It’s a Grand Pumpkin, Mihouse. Easily one of the top post-classic THOH segments.
    Yeah, I think I mentioned something about this earlier but that's the thing with the parodies cause if you get them, you're kinda like 'Oh yeah' but if you don't, it didn't matter cause they were still good anyway, they've always been really great at doing the parodies I reckon.

18. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Mícheál

Blog Entries

I absolutely love the Coraline parody of the Treehouse Of Horror episode of season 29, it was really fun to watch. Not only was the animation fluid, flexible and clean, but also it had some hilarious jokes that I always laugh at:

I also really like the parody of the famous poem by Edgar Allen Poe "The Raven":

The parody of the movie "The Shining" was really well done too:

Finally, I enjoyed the parody of "The Munsters" in season 12's THOH, as well as the Couch Gags mentioned above, along with the Peanuts and South Park references:

Oh, and I really enjoyed season 5's THOH segments "The Devil and Homer Simpson":

Last edited by Simpson's Fan; 05-12-2020 at 02:37 AM.

The goldena age have too many great parodies to choose from.

Most zombie era parodies fall flat on their face, but I did like the Star Wars prequel parody in Co-Dependen's Day.

Twin Peaks from Who Shot Mr. Burns? (Part Two)

Thread Information