Thread: Season 32 Information Thread

(Users Browsing this Thread: PreciousBodilyFluids)

Blog Entries

Exclamation Season 32 Information Thread

Season 32 Information Thread

Welcome to the Season 32 Information Thread, where we keep track of news and information about the 2020-2021 season of The Simpsons. Please keep in mind this information can change at any time.

Latest Updates

• 5/11: "I, Carumbus" is a flashback episode, director for "The Road to Cincinnati," new titles "Wad Goals" and "Yokel Hero"
    • 5/4: Michael Price writing an episode tentatively planned for March or April 2021

Upcoming Episodes

To discuss episodes that have already aired, please check out our Rate & Review archive.

ZABF15 - The 7 Beer Itch
    • Olivia Colman "playing the most down home femme fatal ever who attracts every man she's ever met but falls hard, harder than she ever imagined, for Homer Simpson." (James L. Brooks/Twitter)
    • Colman will voice a character named “Lily” in an episode titled “The 7 Beer Itch” that will air next spring, a Fox spokesperson told TheWrap. (TheWrap)
    • Written by Joel H. Cohen, John Frink, and Al Jean.(Al Jean/Twitter)
    • Directed by Mike Polcino. (Al Jean/Twitter)
    • Pushed back to fall. (Al Jean)

ZABF17 - Treehouse of Horror XXXI
    • Written by Julia Prescott. (Al Jean/Twitter)
    • Directed by Steven Dean Moore. (Al Jean/Twitter)
    • Jean: "We're writing a segment next year on the 2020 election so who knows how that will turn out... we can always write it and reanimate it within a few months." (Newsweek)
    • "One part is this really fantastic 'Into the Homerverse' where you see all different versions of Homer from different dimensions." (/Film)

ZABF18 - I, Carumbus
    • Written by Cesar Mazariegos. (Al Jean)
    • Directed by Rob Oliver. (Al Jean)
    • Showrun by Matt Selman. (The B)
    • Flashback episode. (Al Jean)

ZABF19 - Undercover Burns
    • Written by David Cryan. (Al Jean/Twitter)
    • David Harbour will play an alternate version of Mr. Burns in a season 32 episode. In a take on Undercover Boss, Mr. Burns, voiced by Harry Shearer, spots some graffiti on the wall at the nuclear power plant (“Burns is not excellent”) and decides to go undercover to root out the problem. “Like Mission: Impossible, they give him a whole new body and face and voice so that this people in the plant won’t possibly recognize him,” shares Jean. “He’s supposed to be a blue-collar guy from another part of the plant, but everything he says is like Mr. Burns. He wants to go to karaoke and sing songs from the 1890s, but the guys don’t see through it.” (Entertainment Weekly)
    • "[Burns] has a suit so he can go undercover boss inside the plant and David Harbour plays the voice that he uses when he’s in the disguise." (/Film)
    • Directed by Bob Anderson. (Al Jean)

ZABF20 - The Road to Cincinnati
    • Written by Jeff Westbrook. (Al Jean)
    • Matt Selman: " There’s one coming up in the fall that’s basically just a Skinner/Chalmers road trip show because we know those characters can sustain. Their own relationship is so interesting and compelling and f*cked up that we could do that. I’m always on the lookout for that kind of thing [...] The steamed hams will make an appearance but we don’t want to try to overcapitalize on the steamed hams because then it seems like we’re desperate to try to take old internet passion and feed off of it. It’s more I would say in an Easter egg area. Easter ham. Right? Everyone loves Easter hams." (/Film, Al Jean)
    • Directed by Matthew Nastuk. (Al Jean)

ZABF21 - Now Museum, Now You Don't (Al Jean)

ZABF22 - Podcast News
    • Written by David X. Cohen. (Al Jean)

QABF01 - Sorry Not Sorry (Al Jean)

QABF02 - The Voice Actor's Apprentice

QABF03 - A Springfield Summer Christmas for Christmas
    • Written by Jessica Conrad. (Al Jean)

QABF04 - Dad-feelings Limited

QABF05 - Diary Queen
    • Written by Jeff Westbrook. (Al Jean)

QABF06 - Wad Goals

QABF07 - Yokel Hero
    • Written by Jeff Martin & Samantha Martin. (Al Jean)
    • Cletus episode. (Al Jean)

Loose Ends

• Some Comic Book Guy coming in 2021. (Al Jean)
    • Michael Price writing an episode tentatively planned for March or April 2021. (Michael Price)

Blog Entries

Useful Resources

Many people who work on the show can be found on Twitter:

Please be courteous when contacting them!

Acknowledgments

Thanks to Simpsons Forever! for creating the template for this thread way back in 2006, and thanks to the following members for helping keep the previous threads updated with the latest information: 20thCenturyBox, 6F01, biffwestwood, Brad Lascelle, Blobulle, ComicBookGal, Gran2, jbauer, LetsPlayNintendoITA, lionelhutz123, Matty, McClure, MDB, Nameless, OttoMann14, qwerasdf, Rutherford, SimpsonArgentina, simpsonsbart, Szyslak100, That Don Guy, The B, WeaselStomper, Wile E. the Brain, that guy who pesters Al Jean on Twitter, and everyone else who contributes over the next year!

3. Thumbs Up To This Post by: orangemo, The B

Joe Swanson ©tormented OldSchoolerSimpsons's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by scully apologist;bt39949
    "KONY 2012"

5. Thumbs Up To This Post by: bboynexus

Hercules Rockefeller Homer Samson's Avatar

Considering I started using this site for information about Season 31, I guess I'm back for the summer.
    Best and Worst Episode per Season:
    1: Krusty Gets Busted/Homer's Night Out 2: One Fish, Two Fish, Blowfish, Blue Fish/Bart's Dog Gets an 'F' 3: Bart the Murderer/Saturdays of Thunder 4: Homer the Heretic/So Its Come To This: A Simpsons Clip Show 5: Cape Feare/Lady Bouvier's Lover 6: Homie the Clown/Another Simpsons Clip Show 7: Raging Abe Simpson and his Grumbling Grandson in " The Curse of the Flying Hellfish"/Scenes From the Class Struggle in Springfield 8: The Springfield Files/The Old Man and the Lisa 9: The City of New York vs. Homer Simpson/Miracle on Evergreen Terrace 10: Mayored to the Mob/Homer Simpson in: Kidney Trouble 11: Grift of the Magi/Eight Misbehavin' 12: Trilogy of Error/I'm Goin' to Praiseland 13: The Blunder Years/The Lastest Gun in the West 14: Moe Baby Blues/The Strong Arms of the Ma 15: My Mother the Carjacker/Co-Dependent's Day 16: The Heartbroke Kid/Homer and Ned's Hail Mary Pass 17: The Seemingly Never-Ending Story/The Bonfire of the Manatees 18: The Mook, The Chef, The Wife, and Her Homer/The Boys of Bummer 19: Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind/Husbands and Knives 20: Gone Maggie Gone/Lisa the Drama Queen 21: The Squirt and the Whale/The Greatest Story Ever D'ohed 22: Homer Scissorhands/The Fight Before Christmas 23: The Book Job/Lisa Goes Gaga 24: The Saga of Carl/Love is a Many-Splintered Thing 25: Brick Like Me/What to Expect When Bart's Expecting 26: Sky Police/The Musk Who Fell to Earth 27: Barthood/Every Man's Dream 28: 22 for 30/The Caper Chase 29: Flanders' Ladder/Singin' in the Lane 30: Woo-hoo Dunnit?/I Want You (She's So Heavy)

7. Thumbs Up To This Post by: MDB, orangemo

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Homer View Post
    Useful Resources

Many people who work on the show can be found on Twitter:

Please be courteous when contacting them!

Acknowledgments

Thanks to Simpsons Forever! for creating the template for this thread way back in 2006, and thanks to the following members for helping keep the previous threads updated with the latest information: 20thCenturyBox, 6F01, biffwestwood, Brad Lascelle, Blobulle, ComicBookGal, Gran2, jbauer, LetsPlayNintendoITA, lionelhutz123, Matty, McClure, MDB, Nameless, OttoMann14, qwerasdf, Rutherford, SimpsonArgentina, simpsonsbart, Szyslak100, That Don Guy, The B, WeaselStomper, Wile E. the Brain, that guy who pesters Al Jean on Twitter, and everyone else who contributes over the next year!
    Unrelated to this, I sent you a PM, not sure if you got back to me.
    Ranking every episode of the season:
    Winter of our Monetized Content 7.5/10
    Go Big or Go Homer 5/10
    The Fat Blue Line 8/10
    Treehouse of Horror XXX (30) 7/10
    Gorillas on the Mast 7/10
    Marge the Lumberjill 4.5/10
    Livin' La Pura Vida 9/10
    Thanksgiving of Horror 9/10
    Todd, Todd, Why Hast Thou Forsaken Me? 6.5/10
    Bobby, It's Cold Outside 8/10
    Hail to the Teeth 7.5/10
    The Miseducation of Lisa Simpson 7/10
    Frinkcoin 8/10
    Bart the Bad Guy 9/10
    Screenless 8/10
    Better off Ned 6/10
    Highway to Well 8/10
    The Incredible Lightness of Being a Baby 7.5/10
    Warrin' Priests 8/10
    Warrin' Priests Part 2 7/10
    The Hateful Eight-Year Olds 8.5/10
    Way of the Dog 9.5/10

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Samson View Post
    Considering I started using this site for information about Season 31, I guess I'm back for the summer.
    I started at the end of season 23, so long ago.
    Anyway, really looking forward to the new season. Really glad of Selman taking more responsibilities, especially because I enjoyed both "Go Big or Go Homer" and "The Miseducation of Lisa Simpson" which seem to be a little bit disliked around here, hopefully it also means that jean can do a better job with fewer episodes.
    Soon Season 31

Selman appears to have forgone writing duties in favour of more showrunning. I'm personally fine with it if that is indeed the case.
    SEASON 31 GRADES

The Winter of Our Monetized Content - 3/5 / Go Big or Go Homer - 2.5/5 / The Fat Blue Line - 3/5
    Treehouse of Horror XXX - 2/5 / Gorillas on the Mast - 2.5/5 / Marge the Lumberjill - 2/5
    Livin' La Pura Vida - 4.5/5 / Thanksgiving of Horror - 5/5 / Todd, Todd, Why Hast Thou Forsaken Me? - 3.5/5
    Bobby, It's Cold Outside - 2.5/5 / Hail to the Teeth - 2/5 / The Miseducation of Lisa Simpson - 3.5/5
    Frinkcoin - 3/5 / Bart the Bad Guy - 4.5/5 / Screenless - 4/5 / Better Off Ned - 1.5/5
    Highway to Well - 3.5/5 / The Incredible Lightness of Being a Baby - 3/5 / Warrin' Priests (Part 1) - ?/5
    Warrin' Priests (Part 2) - ?/5 / The Hateful Eight-Year-Olds - ?/5 / Way of the Dog - 4.5/5

11. Thumbs Up To This Post by: The B

Chatting Simpsons Since '93 Brad Lascelle's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bboynexus View Post
    Selman appears to have forgone writing duties in favour of more showrunning. I'm personally fine with it if that is indeed the case.
    That is the role where he excels these days.

Conversely, I want to see Al Jean write more scripts.
    Especially if they wind up as good as I Won't Be Home for Christmas, Mr. Lisa's Opus or Daddicus Finch.
    SEASON 31 RANKINGS
    The Winter of Our Monetized Content - 1.5/5 / Go Big or Go Homer - 2.5/5 / The Fat Blue Line - 3.5/5
    THOH XXX = Danger Things - 2.5/5 / Heaven Swipes Right - 1.5/5 / When Hairy Met Slimy - 2/5
    Gorillas on the Mast - 3.5/5 / Marge the Lumberjill - 2/5 / Livin' La Pura Vida - 5/5
    THANKSGIVING OF HORROR = A-Gobble-ypto - 3/5 / The Fourth Thursday After Tomorrow - 5/5 / The Last Thanksgiving - 3.5/5
    Todd, Todd, Why Hast Thou Forsaken Me? - 3.5/5 / Bobby, It's Cold Outside - 2.5/5 / Hail to the Teeth - 1.5/5
    The Miseducation of Lisa Simpson - 2/5 / Frinkcoin - 3/5 / Maggie Simpson In "Playdate with Destiny" - 4/5
    Bart the Bad Guy - 5/5 / Screenless - 2/5 / Better Off Ned - 2.5/5 / Highway to Well - 4/5
    The Incredible Lightness of Being a Baby - 2.5/5 / Warrin' Priests - 2/5 / The Hateful Eight-Year-Olds - 4.5/5 / The Way of the Dog - 5/5

13. Thumbs Up To This Post by: bboynexus

Quote Originally Posted by bboynexus View Post
    It came from Caffeine, didn't it? Was there something else interesting?

BTW, @Dark Homer forgot to add from Season 31 thread information about Matthew Nastuk directed QABF05 «Diary Queen»
    Last edited by The B; 05-18-2020 at 10:18 PM.
    IMHO the best and the worst episodes of each season (in bold — the best and worst of overall series, upd. 24/04/20):
    1. Moaning Lisa/Homer’s Night Out 2. Bart vs. Thanksgiving/Simpson and Delilah 3. Mr. Lisa Goes to Washington/Homer Alone 4. Homer’s Triple Bypass/Marge in Chains 5. Secrets of a Successful Marriage/Bart’s Inner Child 6. Who Shot Mr. Burns? (Part I)/A Star Is Burns 7. Home Sweet Homediddly-Dum-Doodily/Treehouse of Horror VI 8. My Sister, My Sitter/The Simpsons Spin-Off Showcase 9. Miracle on Evergreen Terrace/Bart Star 10. Wild Barts Can’t Be Broken/Simpsons Bible Stories 11. Days of Wine and D’oh’ses/Pygmoelian 12. Homer vs. Dignity/New Kids on the Blecch 13. Poppa’s Got a Brand New Badge/Weekend at Burnsie’s 14. Moe Baby Blues/Helter Shelter 15. Fraudcast News/Co-Dependent’s Day 16. Goo Goo Gai Pan/A Star Is Torn 17. Bonfire of the Manatees/Kiss Kiss, Bang Bangalore 18. 24 Minutes/Stop, Or My Dog Will Shoot! 19. Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind/Husbands and Knives 20. Coming to Homerica/Four Great Women and a Manicure 21. The Squirt and the Whale/Treehouse of Horror XX 22. The Blue and the Gray/Elementary School Musical 23. A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again/Moe Goes from Rags to Riches 24. Hardly Kirk-ing/Gorgeous Grampa 25. Brick Like Me/What to Expect When Bart’s Expecting 26. Sky Police/Treehouse of Horror XXV 27. Halloween of Horror/Treehouse of Horror XXVI 28. 22 for 30/Havana Wild Weekend 29. Flanders’ Ladder/Springfield Splendor 30. Baby You Can’t Drive My Car/The Clown Stays in the Picture 31. TBA/TBA
    The Simpsons season ratings:
    2 > 1 > 3 > 7 > 6 > 4 > 8 > 5 > 9 > 27 > 21 > 20 > 25 > 17 > 29 > 12 > 15 > 10 > 26 > 24 > 13 > 18 > 14 > 19 > 28 > 16 > 30 > 23 > 11 > 22

I think that thoughts may differ, because so many people, so many opinions.

I really hope you can visit the R&R threads more often @MDB. I sustain you have too much to offer.
    SEASON 31 - RATINGS
    The Winter of Our Monetized Content - 3/5 / Go Big or Go Homer - 2/5 / The Fat Blue Line - 4/5
    Treehouse of Horror XXX - 3/5 / Gorillas on the Mast- 4/5 / Marge the Lumberjill - 2/5
    Livin' La Pura Vida - 5/5 / Thanksgiving of Horror - 5/5 / Todd, Todd, Why Hast Thou Forsaken Me? - 3/5
    Bobby, It's Cold Outside - 3/5 / Hail to the Teeth - 2/5 / The Miseducation of Lisa Simpson - 4/5 / Frinkcoin - 3/5 / Bart the Bad Guy - 5/5 / Screenless - 4/5
    Better Off Ned - 1/5 / Highway to Well - 4/5 / The Incredible Lightness of Being a Baby - 3/5
    Warrin' Priests - 2/5 / The Hateful Eight-Year-Olds - 4/5 / The Way of the Dog - 5/5

16. Thumbs Up To This Post by: MDB

Junior Camper

'The Road to Cincinnati' sounds the most promising, as long as they don't shoehorn the Simpsons in in a way that feels unnatural and forced.

Biggest caveat keeping Road to Cincinnati from being successful is Westbrook penning the script.
    Even having it be showrun by Selman doesn't necessarily mitigate that obstacle.

If they keep it largely grounded in reality (like Westbrook's two Nedna efforts), craft some fine road trip movie homages and, if they want to work in some other characters, maybe limit it to the unlikely tandem of Agnes and Shauna trying to track them down while on their own adventure, it could work out quite well.

This concept will get bonus points if they're so daring as to not have ANY of the Simpsons family appear at all.

19. Thumbs Up To This Post by: bboynexus

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Lascelle View Post
    If they want to work in some other characters, maybe limit it to the unlikely tandem of Agnes and Shauna trying to track them down while on their own adventure, it could work out quite well.
    Ha! Interesting idea...

This concept will get bonus points if they're so daring as to not have ANY of the Simpsons family appear at all.
    For some reason, I don't believe it's impossible.

Actually, I can't immagine yet, in what way TRtC can turn (we know only a couple of sentences from Selman about it). So, wait a bit...

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

“The Road to Cincinatti” is probably not going to be a good one since Westbrook was in charge of the script and his recent episodes tend to be the lowest ranked among fans here at nohomers. Even Phil Payton doesn’t like his episodes.

They have some interesting titles and plots announced already. Off to a good start, it seems.

However, it really is too bad that 'Road To Cincinatti' is a Westbrook episode. The premise of an Skinner & Chalmers road trip made it sound quite intriguing and enjoyable but then they have one of the worst current writers attached to it (sigh). It certainly has an effect on my optimism for that one, but it could still turn out okay (though a slimmer chance for that now).

Blog Entries

A Springfield Summer Christmas for Christmas? First I'm hearing of that one. Half feels like a joke on having a Christmas ep in may. (Also, 7 Beer Itch. Having three writers is a bit strange, wouldn't that make more sense for THOH?)

Overall... it seems some of the premises sound okay but the staff choice for a lot of them is a lot less inspiring... that and the show in recent seasons has a bad habit of good premises having terrible payoffs. So not really looking forward to it, doubly so off the heels of my least favourite season yet. On the bright side, no sign of my least favourite writer but I'll wait to be corrected about that, if there's one thing I do know it's that somebody up there hates me.

Also, lotta names I don't recognize. Admittedly I'm not hyper familiar with every writer ever but I'm pretty sure there's quite a few new faces. Guess that's another point of uncertainty for this season. It doesn't seem terrible so far but I'm not going to get my hopes up. Especially when all that does is jinx things.
    Last edited by Venomrabbit; 05-19-2020 at 01:50 PM.
    Season 31 just sucked.

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

Here are the Fox NFL regular season doubleheader days for 2020:
    September 13 (repeat), 27 (season premiere)
    October 18
    November 1, 15, 22
    December 13 (Christmas episode), 27 (repeat)
    January 3 (the last two times 1/3 was a Sunday, in 2010 and 2016, new episodes aired)

Here is when I think the "known" repeat/pre-emption days (after the season premiere, that is) will be:
    World Series - MLB has not announced just when it will take place, but presumably there will be at least one game on a Sunday night
    December 20
    December 27
    January 17 (I think either Fox or CBS will have a late NFL playoff game that night; I don't think Fox would air a new episode against it)
    January 24 (either pre-empted for the NFC Championship Game, or a repeat against the AFC Championship Game on CBS)
    January 31 (repeat against the Grammys on CBS - assuming they aren't moved)
    February 7 (repeat against the Super Bowl on CBS)
    February 28 (repeat against the Oscars on ABC - again, assuming they aren't moved)
    March 28 (repeat - Palm Sunday)
    April 4 (repeat - Easter)
    This leaves 25 Sundays open for new episodes, although Fox will probably air the Miss Universe Pageant on a Sunday.

25. Thumbs Up To This Post by: The B

Quote Originally Posted by Szyslak100 View Post
    I really hope you can visit the R&R threads more often @MDB. I sustain you have too much to offer.
    I really want to do reviews again, i don't seem to find the time though

27. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Szyslak100

Quote Originally Posted by MDB View Post
    I really want to do reviews again, i don't seem to find the time though
    Yeah, I supposed it was because of lack of time. I just feel that your presence (as well as @Tomacco's and some others that still watch the show and are aboard the forum) could mean a jump-in-quality in the R&R threads, even if your reviews must be short for lack of time or even if it is not for all episodes. Anyhow, thanks for answering.

29. Thumbs Up To This Post by: MDB

Quote Originally Posted by Venomrabbit View Post
    On the bright side, no sign of my least favourite writer but I'll wait to be corrected about that, if there's one thing I do know it's that somebody up there hates me.

It doesn't seem terrible so far but I'm not going to get my hopes up. Especially when all that does is jinx things.
    Why do you want everyone to know how miserable you are? Do you want someone to chat to?

Blog Entries

Not with anyone from here.

All I'm doing is taking note of an incredibly obvious pattern. Every time I get hopeful for an ep, it gets dragged down, any time I get good news it's just setting me up for something terrible with such precise timing that it couldn't be worse if the staff was trying to spite me on purpose. Meanwhile between things like Barthood, Halloween of Horror and Highway to Well I go in with dread and it ends up being good. (I mean the latter to a way lesser extent but it's still the best written ep of last season) so uh, there's an obvious pattern going on and going in with a open negativity seems to be the only thing that ever helps my chances. *shrug*

I'm glad to share new information here.
    Instead of usually directing XX01, Steven Dean Moore directed The Voice Actor's Apprentice (QABF02)
    Last edited by The B; 05-21-2020 at 03:28 AM.

33. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Szyslak100

Just a quick update on Season 31's final numbers from a week ago...

1) The Way of the Dog - 4.40 out of 5 / IMDB = 7.4

2) Bart the Bad Guy - 4.00 out of 5 / IMDB = 7.3
    3) Livin' La Pura Vida - 3.79 out of 5 / IMDB = 6.2
    4) Thanksgiving of Horror - 3.78 out of 5 / IMDB = 7.2

5) The Hateful Eight-Year-Olds - 3.50 out of 5 / IMDB = 6.8
    Maggie Simpson in: "Playdate with Destiny" - 3.50 out of 5 / IMDB = 6.7
    6) Gorillas on the Mast - 3.47 out of 5 / IMDB = 6.1
    7) Highway to Well - 3.42 out of 5 / IMDB = 7.0
    8) The Fat Blue Line - 3.22 out of 5 / IMDB = 6.5
    9) Screenless - 3.13 out of 5 / IMDB = 6.5

10) Todd, Todd, Why Hast Thou Forsaken Me? - 2.94 out of 5 / IMDB = 6.4
    11) Frinkcoin - 2.93 out of 5 / IMDB = 5.9
    12) The Winter of Our Monetized Content - 2.93 out of 5 / IMDB = 5.6
    13) The Miseducation of Lisa Simpson - 2.81 out of 5 / IMDB = 6.5
    14) Bobby, It's Cold Outside - 2.78 out of 5 / IMDB = 6.7

15) Marge the Lumberjill - 2.53 out of 5 / IMDB = 5.2
    16) Treehouse of Horror XXX - 2.52 out of 5 / IMDB = 6.9

17) The Incredible Lightness of Being a Baby - 2.29 out of 5 / IMDB = 6.2
    18) Hail to the Teeth - 2.10 out of 5 / IMDB = 6.0
    19) Better Off Ned - 2.05 out of 5 / IMDB = 6.5

20) Warrin' Priests - 1.82 out of 5 / IMDB = 6.0 (Part 1) / 5.6 (Part 2)
    21) Go Big or Go Homer - 1.82 out of 5 / IMDB = 5.8

4.40 / 5? Wow, that must be the highest average ever received for any HD episode.

There are some frequent users that didn't give it a rating yet. That rating may be dropped a bit in the next days.

Quote Originally Posted by Szyslak100 View Post
    4.40 / 5? Wow, that must be the highest average ever received for any HD episode.
    As of right now, it is... it's the best reviewed episode since Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind as far as our consensus rankings are concerned.
    Although I suspect over time its final score will trend down closer to Halloween of Horror and Holidays of Future Passed levels... which both presently sit at a 4.28.

37. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Szyslak100

I really didn't expect 'The Way of the Dog' to beat out 'Bart The Bad Guy' and get such a high score, but it is not such a big surprise in retrospect with how the episode turned out in the end. As said, the rating will likely subside as more will rate it, but I think it will remain one of the top rated episodes of the HD era.

It's sort of surprising that 'Hail To The Teeth' & 'Better Off Ned' didn't end up at the very bottom with how many are singling them out as the worst of the season but the two that did are also deserving of that spot.

Blog Entries

From Carolyn Omine, right? Looking at her track record, she also had Halloween of Horror, Highway to Well (probably the best out of 31's eps that I'd watched yet) and a couple others I actually liked a fair bit. Granted not everything she does is a smash hit but seems like she's one of the extreme few that can still knock it out of the park here and there.
    Probably not watching in time to affect the rating but maybe I'll go back and see it sometime.

... Come to think of it, I don't see Carolyn on any of the writing credits for this upcoming season...

"I, Carumbus" looks interesting.

Just a quick update on Season 31's final numbers from a week ago...

1) The Way of the Dog - 4.40 out of 5 / IMDB = 7.4

2) Bart the Bad Guy - 4.00 out of 5 / IMDB = 7.3
    3) Livin' La Pura Vida - 3.79 out of 5 / IMDB = 6.2
    4) Thanksgiving of Horror - 3.78 out of 5 / IMDB = 7.2

5) The Hateful Eight-Year-Olds - 3.50 out of 5 / IMDB = 6.8
    Maggie Simpson in: "Playdate with Destiny" - 3.50 out of 5 / IMDB = 6.7
    6) Gorillas on the Mast - 3.47 out of 5 / IMDB = 6.1
    7) Highway to Well - 3.42 out of 5 / IMDB = 7.0
    8) The Fat Blue Line - 3.22 out of 5 / IMDB = 6.5
    9) Screenless - 3.13 out of 5 / IMDB = 6.5

10) Todd, Todd, Why Hast Thou Forsaken Me? - 2.94 out of 5 / IMDB = 6.4
    11) Frinkcoin - 2.93 out of 5 / IMDB = 5.9
    12) The Winter of Our Monetized Content - 2.93 out of 5 / IMDB = 5.6
    13) The Miseducation of Lisa Simpson - 2.81 out of 5 / IMDB = 6.5
    14) Bobby, It's Cold Outside - 2.78 out of 5 / IMDB = 6.7

15) Marge the Lumberjill - 2.53 out of 5 / IMDB = 5.2
    16) Treehouse of Horror XXX - 2.52 out of 5 / IMDB = 6.9

17) The Incredible Lightness of Being a Baby - 2.29 out of 5 / IMDB = 6.2
    18) Hail to the Teeth - 2.10 out of 5 / IMDB = 6.0
    19) Better Off Ned - 2.05 out of 5 / IMDB = 6.5

20) Warrin' Priests - 1.82 out of 5 / IMDB = 6.0 (Part 1) / 5.6 (Part 2)
    21) Go Big or Go Homer - 1.82 out of 5 / IMDB = 5.8
    Oof. For a two parter, Warrin Priests didn't do too well.

It's a shame. Two-part episodes are something I'd like to see more of... largely to afford meaningful narratives to be mined to their full potential.

And yet they've only elected to go that route twice since Who Shot Mr. Burns?... once for a story where Burns is the protagonist alongside an entourage of celebrity rappers and the other for a self-insert story with oft-unused Reverend Lovejoy as a supporting main focused around religious engagement.

If you're going to break a long-established convention and push for two parts, you've got to have meaningful stakes, it should be focused around long-term characters and character relationships people are already invested in, they should not be wholly contingent upon a guest celebrity or writer and they should have lasting consequences that permeate throughout the series afterwards that give you the impression that, yeah, that was an event worthy of tentpole treatment.

43. Thumbs Up To This Post by: MDB

Thread Information