Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rate & Review: "The Way of the Dog" (ZABF16)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Final Numbers: episode scored 0.6 rating and 1,894 (1,89 with rounding) mil.
    BTW, fact: due to NASCAR boost episode repeat at 7PM (The Incredible Lightness of Being a Baby) scored more rating, than its initial airing (1.00 and 6.323 vs. 0.5 and 1.577), and viewers became more, than in initial airing of any season 31 episode (6.323 vs. 5.63 in Go Big or Go Homer on 6th Oct, 2019).

Wait a minute, you had posted old ratings from March, 15
    Last edited by The B; 05-19-2020 at 06:55 AM.
    IMHO the best and the worst episodes of each season (in bold — the best and worst of overall series, upd. 24/04/20):
    1. Moaning Lisa/Homer’s Night Out 2. Bart vs. Thanksgiving/Simpson and Delilah 3. Mr. Lisa Goes to Washington/Homer Alone 4. Homer’s Triple Bypass/Marge in Chains 5. Secrets of a Successful Marriage/Bart’s Inner Child 6. Who Shot Mr. Burns? (Part I)/A Star Is Burns 7. Home Sweet Homediddly-Dum-Doodily/Treehouse of Horror VI 8. My Sister, My Sitter/The Simpsons Spin-Off Showcase 9. Miracle on Evergreen Terrace/Bart Star 10. Wild Barts Can’t Be Broken/Simpsons Bible Stories 11. Days of Wine and D’oh’ses/Pygmoelian 12. Homer vs. Dignity/New Kids on the Blecch 13. Poppa’s Got a Brand New Badge/Weekend at Burnsie’s 14. Moe Baby Blues/Helter Shelter 15. Fraudcast News/Co-Dependent’s Day 16. Goo Goo Gai Pan/A Star Is Torn 17. Bonfire of the Manatees/Kiss Kiss, Bang Bangalore 18. 24 Minutes/Stop, Or My Dog Will Shoot! 19. Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind/Husbands and Knives 20. Coming to Homerica/Four Great Women and a Manicure 21. The Squirt and the Whale/Treehouse of Horror XX 22. The Blue and the Gray/Elementary School Musical 23. A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again/Moe Goes from Rags to Riches 24. Hardly Kirk-ing/Gorgeous Grampa 25. Brick Like Me/What to Expect When Bart’s Expecting 26. Sky Police/Treehouse of Horror XXV 27. Halloween of Horror/Treehouse of Horror XXVI 28. 22 for 30/Havana Wild Weekend 29. Flanders’ Ladder/Springfield Splendor 30. Baby You Can’t Drive My Car/The Clown Stays in the Picture 31. TBA/TBA
    The Simpsons season ratings:
    2 > 1 > 3 > 7 > 6 > 4 > 8 > 5 > 9 > 27 > 21 > 20 > 25 > 17 > 29 > 12 > 15 > 10 > 26 > 24 > 13 > 18 > 14 > 19 > 28 > 16 > 30 > 23 > 11 > 22

I think that thoughts may differ, because so many people, so many opinions.

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The B View Post
    Final Numbers: episode scored 0.6 rating and 1,894 (1,89 with rounding) mil.
    BTW, fact: due to NASCAR boost episode repeat at 7PM (The Incredible Lightness of Being a Baby) scored more rating, than its initial airing (1.00 and 6.323 vs. 0.5 and 1.577), and viewers became more, than in initial airing of any season 31 episode (6.323 vs. 5.63 in Go Big or Go Homer on 6th Oct, 2019).

Wait a minute, you had posted old ratings from March, 15
    Must have been a mistake my bad. And you can blame American Idol for Fox Sunday low ratings.
    The Central, King of Harts, Burger-loving, American family guy.

CROSSING SWORDS SEASON 1 * PILOT 0/5 * EPISODE 2 0.5/5 * EPISODE 3 0/5 * EPISODE 4 0/5 * EPISODE 5 0/5 * EPISODE 6 0.5/5 * EPISODE 7 1/5 * EPISODE 8 2.5/5 * EPISODE 9 3/5 * EPISODE 10 3/5

Quote Originally Posted by orangemo View Post
    Idk who that is.
    Unless you already found it out, @Brad Lascelle links to this blog in the opening posts of these R&R threads among the external site reviews.

Here's the link to the front page: https://meblogwritegood.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Lascelle View Post
    At least he watches the episodes before trashing them. That's still better than like 95% of critics of the current show.
    And he enjoyed Thanksgiving of Horror. So he didn't consider Season 31 to be a complete write-off.
    It is nice he gave 'Thanksgiving Of Horror' a good review and it is good that he at least watches the episodes, but with his pessimistic attitude demeanor towards modern Simpsons and lack of ability to look at the episodes objectively and without comparing them to the classics I still don't think he truly qualifies as a credible review source. The othes (including Phil Payton) feel professional and unbiased in a sense, he feels like a raving and ranting hater (no offense to the fans of the guy).

4. Thumbs Up To This Post by: orangemo

Buy my Martian tater’ farm vexiron's Avatar

Just watched this episode last night. It was a solid season finale. Dark and upsetting for a while, but I loved the heartwarming ending. Will they keep Seabiscuit in for the rest of the series? Probably not.
    It was a great finale overshadowed by another guest star. It seemed the Simpsons Family were pushed to the back in this episode, just focusing on the guest star and their weird romance that lasted for 6 minutes.

6. Thumbs Up To This Post by: orangemo

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CousinMerl View Post
    Unless you already found it out, @Brad Lascelle links to this blog in the opening posts of these R&R threads among the external site reviews.

Here's the link to the front page: https://meblogwritegood.wordpress.com/
    Phil Payton is my favorite because he does not just Simpsons but also all the adult cartoons I watch as well. Nice to get second opinions from others.

Blog Entries

I know continuity isn't something to take seriously but Marge saying they don't own an HDTV? Besides the many, many episodes where they have bought one, they have had one in the opening title sequence since season 20. Seemed like an odd line, but I guess it worked for the joke.

That said, it was a good finale. I thought the santa hat was going to reveal his past and maybe explain why he was originally named SLH. Wasn't expecting it to instead connect back to the pilot in the way it did.

I also picked up on how odd it was Marge saying they have no HDTV when, in fact, they obviously own one. I briefly thought it was a goof, but with it being part of a joke I quickly understood that they had to bend the continuity a little bit and didn't really think of it after that (which was also helped by the episode being so enjoyable as it was).

Ah Carolyne Omine doesn't fail me once again with her being my favorite current writer this episode was very enjoyable lots of great gags wacky jokes and a beautiful story the execution was great so was the pacing its definitely one of the best this season being a top 3 9/10 for me personally great season

11. Thumbs Up To This Post by: orangemo

Chatting Simpsons Since '93 Brad Lascelle's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sandurt View Post
    Ah Carolyne Omine doesn't fail me once again with her being my favorite current writer this episode was very enjoyable lots of great gags wacky jokes and a beautiful story the execution was great so was the pacing its definitely one of the best this season being a top 3 9/10 for me personally great season
    Thanks for chiming in to the community R&R thread with one of your first posts on the site, @Sandurt. Welcome aboard!

We take a consensus of all scores to qualify how the site as a whole feels about an episode... but we do so employing a 5-point scale for historical reasons, so could you pass along a preference as to whether you'd like me to round your score up to a 5 out of 5... or whether you'd prefer that I round it down to a 4 out of 5?
    SEASON 31 RANKINGS
    The Winter of Our Monetized Content - 1.5/5 / Go Big or Go Homer - 2.5/5 / The Fat Blue Line - 3.5/5
    THOH XXX = Danger Things - 2.5/5 / Heaven Swipes Right - 1.5/5 / When Hairy Met Slimy - 2/5
    Gorillas on the Mast - 3.5/5 / Marge the Lumberjill - 2/5 / Livin' La Pura Vida - 5/5
    THANKSGIVING OF HORROR = A-Gobble-ypto - 3/5 / The Fourth Thursday After Tomorrow - 5/5 / The Last Thanksgiving - 3.5/5
    Todd, Todd, Why Hast Thou Forsaken Me? - 3.5/5 / Bobby, It's Cold Outside - 2.5/5 / Hail to the Teeth - 1.5/5
    The Miseducation of Lisa Simpson - 2/5 / Frinkcoin - 3/5 / Maggie Simpson In "Playdate with Destiny" - 4/5
    Bart the Bad Guy - 5/5 / Screenless - 2/5 / Better Off Ned - 2.5/5 / Highway to Well - 4/5
    The Incredible Lightness of Being a Baby - 2.5/5 / Warrin' Priests - 2/5 / The Hateful Eight-Year-Olds - 4.5/5 / The Way of the Dog - 5/5

13. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Sandurt

a 4/5 please
    The Winter of Our Monetized Content C
    Go Big Or Go Homer B-
    The Fat Blue Line B
    Treehouse Of Horror XXX C+
    Gorillas On The Mast C+
    Marge The Lumberjill C-
    Livin La Pruda Vida A-
    Thanksgiving Of Horror A
    Bobby Its Cold Outside B
    Hail To The Teeth B-
    The Miseducation Of Lisa C+
    Frinkcoin B-
    Bart The Bad Guy B
    Screenless B-
    Better Off Ned D+
    Highway To Well B+
    Warrin Priest B+
    Warrin Priest Part 2 B-
    The Hateful Eight Year Olds B
    Way Of The Dog B+

The Way of the Dog is one of those few episodes that might have been served as the series finale. It's a throwback to the first episode. They had the formula to turn a series finale into the rebirth of the own show and turn out the show in a loop where the first and the last episode were intrinsically connected even when they are separated for God knows how many years. It was just a matter to hold it until that fateful day comes. I just hope they already have prepared a special idea to supplant this one when that happens.

He's not a loser, he's not pathetic but he... is always going to be a Simpson

Once forgotten that inconvenience regarding the unexplainable rushed date –and clarifying beforehand that I don't have a problem with a Christmas story airing in May–, I can start to review this. And after this introduction, it's convenient to start talking about the Christmas climate obtained here. The establishment in this festivity was useful to elaborate clichés yet effective gags. I enjoyed that recurrent joke about Homer confusing gifts for Marge with household items. The vacuum cleaner one was predictable, but then the first aid kit wrapped up under the tree made me laugh out loud because it was unexpected. Other little moments like the kids preparing string popcorn and then asking to not be part of the Christmas card or the backside of the Christmas tree decorated with ugly ornaments, meant some chuckle-worthy moments. But obviously, the reason why it is a Christmas episode was to establish the connection with Simpsons Roasting on an Open Fire. I must admit it was kinda nostalgic and shocking to watch the callback of my favorite moment of the pilot here. Santa's Little Helper trauma was revived through and pent-up in the Santa Claus's hat that Homer used in December of the previous year (that is, the Christmas special the show had thirty years ago). Santa Claus's hat was an inspired element introduced for the writers either to the callback and the development of the dog's problem. The desperate necessity of the dog to have near the hat was treated with a subtle seriousness that made me believe and comprehend the sadness that he had, and I think the scene when he bites Marge was perfect. The series of events makes you empathize with Santa's Little Helper but the reaction of the family was just reasonable and natural. Oh, and I also adored those failed pictures of the dog using the hat.

Marge and the Christmas spirit. It's a winning combination.

The exploration of the crisis that Santa's Little Helper was suffering through his own perspective was such a fantastic method that enriches the quality and helps in the emotional impact that it tried to achieve. It was also a calling of attention advising this one was going to be different. All of them were visually pleasing. He had a weird dream including Ralph's cameo, which was amusing. Later in the story, he has an anguished nightmare when he reminds the day when Les Moore separated him from his mother and siblings. Under his point of view, we also watch some images of reality: Lisa and Marge trying to put on him the hat while Grampa gabbles. And they also used it to represent some memories he has, including brief flashbacks of the bad treatment of Moore. I loved the scene when he was scared because of the storm and Marge tuck he in and calm him down – it was intelligent how they reflected it in the washing machine. The most wonderful scene of this kind was that when Elaine Wolff explains how dogs perceive the world and we see how Santa's smells a lamppost and identifies everything that was happened there: Otto offering his service as a drummer Barney crashing and hitting the lamppost, Wendell sticking his tongue on it, and Gil with another of his disgraceful. I can not explain why, but this was amazing. Oh, and what to say about the scene when he encounters his mother again? Is it enough to say I sniffed there? It was simply one of the most emotive moments of the entire show. Long live She Biscuit! As usually happens in episodes centered in the dog, we have a brief cameo of the cat. While it was certainly unrealistic, I really liked how he threatens the fish at the very end. It was the last scene of the episode and it was a fresh, original way to finish it, like saying: "hey, we did not forget you".

Mother's love in its purest form.

Santa's Little Helper was accompanied, supported, and consented by the entire family throughout the whole conflict, reverting a sad trending of (almost?) every episode about the dog until now. It was really comfortable how all The Simpsons members behaved here, and it has passed a while since all of them were such in plenty form like this time. They acted as a joined family for once, and I really appreciate that. When Santa's Little Helper bites Marge or when that awful veterinarian suggested killing their dog, they just reacted as someone can expect they'd do, with Homer defending the family and with the kids worried about the situations. The scene when they farewell to the dog was certainly adorable, with Lisa packing a salami and Homer just kissing the dog although he is not an emotional guy, culminating the scene pleasurably with dog devolving the affection. Even if it was a moment that goes nowhere, I also liked the praying-together scene. They had some nice individualities too. Homer made me chuckle a lot: when he imagines what a dog psychologist is, when he complains because he is not going to watch the UFC's fight, in the easy Candy Crush pun, when he feels like the Pixar's logo –even if it was another easy joke–, or when he thinks the dog that came back was a replacement of Santa's. Marge did it aggressively when she has to defend the dog, which I found pretty accurate. Bart's human side always brings out when it is about his dog and this was not the exception. And Lisa's characterization was not too different than Bart's. I adored it when she invites Elaine to fight. It's refreshing when both kids are likable (now for the second episode in a row!).

The family joint to hate something or someone is always great to see.

The other time where the family was joined looking for a common objective was when they slapped Les Moore, once each one, including Maggie. I am not a sucker of physical gags like that (generally those sick me) but this time they worked for me. Maybe because the grace of the joke was not in the greyhound's trainer's painful but in the absurd and ridiculous way to take justice. Watching that character again and finally closing that background story was great, although it was not clear if he was actually ashamed because of his actions or if he just wanted The Simpsons getting out of his house quickly. I could not believe if someone who caused PTSD in a poor pug sincerely changes his mind instantly as he probably did. On the other side, Elaine Wolff represents the opposite of Les. She is a dog psychologist who actually understands animals. I actually felt genuine her closeness to the dog. I mean, in Dogtown they made fun of those people who priory dog over humans. This time, they exalted as something positive this facet presented in Elaine, and not in a tedious way, nevertheless. All the efforts she makes to approach Santa's Little Helper were enjoyable to watch. Sleeping next to him to create trust among them, for example. And yeah, of course, it's deserved to be mentioned the amazing voice acting courtesy of Cate Blanchett. She was able to give life to a compassionate and expressive character. By the way, that little romance she has along with that guy named Clayton was truly weird, out of context and absolutely expendable. But hey, this episode did everything perfectly to complain just about an imperfect plotline.

Cate Blanchett did a great job but it's true that the role she received was proper.

Even when The Simpsons are mainly a comedy, I am always preferring a heartwarming story; an emotive situation with a concerning conflict and a happy, touching ending. The Way of the Dog is an example of my kind of episodes. Great work of Omine, Faughnan, Al Jean, and everyone who worked on it. The highest points of this season are extremely high. One of the greatest Christmas episode, one of the greatest season finale, the greatest Santa's Little Helper story ever... Just another masterpiece...

5/5
    Last retrospective: Homer Defined (S03E05)

My project of rating and reviewing every episode of Rick and Morty (completed!)

My project of rating and reviewing every episode of BoJack Horseman (last episode: Later)

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

I also picked up on how odd it was Marge saying they have no HDTV when, in fact, they obviously own one. I briefly thought it was a goof, but with it being part of a joke I quickly understood that they had to bend the continuity a little bit and didn't really think of it after that (which was also helped by the episode being so enjoyable as it was).
    You know someone gave the episode a 1/10 on iMDB because just of that goof.

You know someone gave the episode a 1/10 on iMDB because just of that goof.
    Now that is just silly. Seems like they really didn't want to give it a pass since it was part of the joke and got hung up over it too much (or it's just a troll review, something there is a lot of over there).

Quote Originally Posted by Szyslak100 View Post
    The Way of the Dog is one of those few episodes that might have been served as the series finale. It's a throwback to the first episode. They had the formula to turn a series finale into the rebirth of the own show and turn out the show in a loop where the first and the last episode were intrinsically connected even when they are separated for God knows how many years. It was just a matter to hold it until that fateful day comes. I just hope they already have prepared a special idea to supplant this one when that happens.
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who thoughts so, as I previously stated on the last page. It really felt like it could have worked as the finale of the show pretty nicely (also, it ends with them getting another greyhound so there's that as well).

Also, It is very nice to see the episode getting so much praise here. The best season finale in a while (and a great Christmas episode), indeed.

18. Thumbs Up To This Post by: orangemo

3 years late, but meh! simplysimpsons's Avatar

I pretty much gave up on this show at the rock bottom, deplorable "Love is a many strangled thing", but this episode got my attention and I decided to give it a watch. It was seriously good. Surprisingly emotional, a solid story. Elaine was a great character. All the family were in this together throughout. And there were some laughs. The only slight detractor was the relationship angle which could have been ditched to spend more time on the excellent main story.

I'd say overall A- , 5/5. I'm looking forward to Phil Payton's review, for sure.

Elaine's wallpaper with the white bones on blue background is a reference to a very similar one in Wallace and Gromit - the wrong trousers.

A tribute to Bart Simpson

You think THAT's bad? What about that time when I was turned into a Tetris block?

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thoughts so, as I previously stated on the last page. It really felt like it could have worked as the finale of the show pretty nicely (also, it ends with them getting another greyhound so there's that as well).

Also, It is very nice to see the episode getting so much praise here. The best season finale in a while (and a great Christmas episode), indeed.
    Actually, Al Jean has described his perfect series finale as a callback to Simpsons Roasting on an Open Fire. I am not sure why they rushed airing it here. It's an episode that has been postponed for years. Maybe they have another idea for the finale or maybe they produced it thinking they were going to be canceled and now they think/now they are going to be renewed. That frankly disoriented me.

21. Thumbs Up To This Post by: The B

I think it's a lovely episode, but not quite series finale worthy. It doesn't focus enough on the family which I think would be necessary for a finale.
    SEASON 31 GRADES

The Winter of Our Monetized Content - 3/5 / Go Big or Go Homer - 2.5/5 / The Fat Blue Line - 3/5
    Treehouse of Horror XXX - 2/5 / Gorillas on the Mast - 2.5/5 / Marge the Lumberjill - 2/5
    Livin' La Pura Vida - 4.5/5 / Thanksgiving of Horror - 5/5 / Todd, Todd, Why Hast Thou Forsaken Me? - 3.5/5
    Bobby, It's Cold Outside - 2.5/5 / Hail to the Teeth - 2/5 / The Miseducation of Lisa Simpson - 3.5/5
    Frinkcoin - 3/5 / Bart the Bad Guy - 4.5/5 / Screenless - 4/5 / Better Off Ned - 1.5/5
    Highway to Well - 3.5/5 / The Incredible Lightness of Being a Baby - 3/5 / Warrin' Priests (Part 1) - 2.5/5
    Warrin' Priests (Part 2) - 2/5 / The Hateful Eight-Year-Olds - 4/5
    / Way of the Dog - 4.5/5

23. Thumbs Up To This Post by: orangemo, The B

Quote Originally Posted by bboynexus View Post
    I think it's a lovely episode, but not quite series finale worthy. It doesn't focus enough on the family which I think would be necessary for a finale.
    Sure, I agree that the episode was not enough about The Simpsons to be the series finale. What I meant is that the concept of a callback to the first episode of the show could have been explored (differently) in the final episode. Possibly with less Cate Blanchett and definitely without Clayton, where the origin of the PTSD underwent by the dog is solved more quickly and the family searches Les Moore everywhere.

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by simplysimpsons View Post
    I pretty much gave up on this show at the rock bottom, deplorable "Love is a many strangled thing", but this episode got my attention and I decided to give it a watch. It was seriously good. Surprisingly emotional, a solid story. Elaine was a great character. All the family were in this together throughout. And there were some laughs. The only slight detractor was the relationship angle which could have been ditched to spend more time on the excellent main story.

I'd say overall A- , 5/5. I'm looking forward to Phil Payton's review, for sure.

Elaine's wallpaper with the white bones on blue background is a reference to a very similar one in Wallace and Gromit - the wrong trousers.
    Remember now Phil has all the Fox cartoons in one video now.

Quote Originally Posted by Szyslak100 View Post
    Sure, I agree that the episode was not enough about The Simpsons to be the series finale. What I meant is that the concept of a callback to the first episode of the show could have been explored (differently) in the final episode. Possibly with less Cate Blanchett and definitely without Clayton, where the origin of the PTSD underwent by the dog is solved more quickly and the family searches Les Moore everywhere.
    I certainly agree with you and @bboynexus that it is not quite the best finale the series could have. The ideal version of this episode certainly would have had less of Dr. Wolff and certainly no Clayton & be mainly about the family & their struggle to help SLH, but the story did still overall feel like a possible finale with how the overall plot was written (which could have served the true finale well).

I admittedly didn't think much of it while watching but I did afterwards, especially when I saw some mentioning it felt finale-like. Had they picked this story as the true finale (and had it fully centered around the family), I do not think I would have objected too much (as said already, it even has a connection to 'Simpsons Roasting' and makes Jean's wish to come full circle come to mind).
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 05-21-2020 at 08:57 AM.

27. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Szyslak100

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

Phil's review!

Blog Entries

Phil's review!
    Man, why do you always beat me in posting Phil's reviews before I do? You always beat me every single week, and I feel upset about this!

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by angeldeb82 View Post
    Man, why do you always beat me in posting Phil's reviews before I do? You always beat me every single week, and I feel upset about this!
    I get notifications as soon as his video drops and I’m usually one of the first people to view and comment.

31. Thumbs Up To This Post by: angeldeb82

Thread Information