Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rate & Review: "Warrin' Priests" (ZABF12 & ZABF13)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Wants to be a sweetie pie Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Part Two sure was some garbage. Lisa was really hard to stomach throughout the episode; it was classic Li’l Loudmouth Lisa. Just because she was fighting for something that didn’t reflect her usual ideals didn’t make her any easier to tolerate. Ned Flanders was also in pretty poor form; he reminded me of the Bible-thumping fundamentalist the writers seemed to tone down in the past few seasons. The episode also was even worse than usual at overexplaining jokes as well. Almost every time I thought “OK, that was a decent joke,” they had to cut to something showing an example of said joke. Part 1 lacked substance, but this episode’s substance was just bad all around. If I have to give these episodes a single grade...1/5. It’s probably a 1.3 or 1.4 if I average the two.
    Last edited by Financial Panther; 05-03-2020 at 04:44 PM.
    Favorite and least favorite by season
    1. Life on the Fast Lane Homer’s Night Out 2. Bart Gets an F Dead Putting Society 3. Homer at the Bat Like Father, Like Clown 4. Brother From the Same Planet Krusty Gets Kancelled 5. Cape Feare Lady Bouvier’s Lover 6. Homer Badman Another Simpsons Clip Show 7. King-Size Homer Lisa the Iconoclast 8. Homer’s Enemy The Simpsons Spin-Off Showcase 9. Bart Carny The Trouble With Trillions 10. Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo Homer Simpson in: “Kidney Trouble” 11. Guess Who’s Coming to Criticize Dinner? Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder 12. HOMЯ Tennis the Menace 13. Tales From the Public Domain She of Little Faith 14. The Dad Who Knew Too Little Helter Shelter 15. I, (Annoyed Grunt)-bot Bart-Mangled Banner 16. A Star is Torn On a Clear Day I Can’t See My Sister 17. My Fair Laddy Bonfire of the Manatees 18. The Haw-Hawed Couple You Kent Always Say What You Want 19. Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind All About Lisa 20. Gone Maggie Gone The Good, the Sad and the Drugly 21. The Bob Next Door The Color Yellow 22. Donnie Fatso Love is a Many Strangled Thing 23. The Falcon and the D’ohman A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again 24. Hardly Kirk-ing Moonshine River 25. The War of Art What to Expect When Bart’s Expecting 26. Sky Police Let’s Go Fly a Coot 27. Halloween of Horror Lisa With an ‘S’ 28. There Will Be Buds Moho House 29. Springfield Splendor Throw Grampa From the Dane 30. Daddicus Finch I Want You (She’s So Heavy) 31. Thanksgiving of Horror Warrin’ Priests (Part Two)

oh relax bitch...

eh.. I sorta of enjoyed the first part.. the ensemble cast was fun, a lot of characters we hadn't seen for a while.. a few jokes landed, the musical number bored me... I did enjoy the last exchange between Lisa and Bode.

It wasn't all bad. so I'm going to give the overall 2 parter a 2.5/5, rounded down to 2/5.

The stakes have never been lower.

I have to add that I didn't find lovejoy's story arc very engaging, it felt very vindictive and the dirt he got on bode was seriously lame..
    Last edited by Frankbags; 05-03-2020 at 07:11 PM.

That was so boring. Is burning a bible really that shocking? Maybe Springfield is just super old fashioned. Bode bored me, he felt more like Lisa's fantasy of what the perfect adult would be, not an actual character like Mr. Bergstrom. Didn't care much for the Lisa song. Lovejoy getting his arms broken was pretty brutal, even if we don't see the moment it happens. Not a lot of jokes I can recall. 1/5

4. Thumbs Up To This Post by: John95

Blog Entries

Kind of lame that the dirt Lovejoy easily discovers on the new guy at the end of Part 1 is what swiftly solves his conflict at the end of Part 2. No twists or turns in between. The story's ending was just a matter of whenever the episode decided to get Lovejoy back from Michigan. And as mentioned, the dirt on the pastor wasn't really that compelling.

I guess the main point of the two-parter was to explore the impact the new pastor had on characters like Lisa or Ned. It made for some interesting material and some neat sequences I suppose.

6. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Szyslak100

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

Heresy! Ned said "Two Thessalonians." Apparently, it's "Second Thessalonians." President Trump got complaints when he said "Two Corinthians."

Is this the first time somebody said Lisa's middle name? It was first revealed in "Lisa's Wedding," but only in writing (on the wedding invitations).

Okay, I'll ask; what was the couch opening parodying?
    Last edited by That Don Guy; 05-03-2020 at 09:08 PM.

Succession I think

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

Part 1 was good but Part 2 was kind of a let down from the good part 1. It was predictable but I did laugh a few times and Lisa’s song was very good. It’s like a B- or 3/5.

First half 4/5 second half 3/5

So overall Warrin’ Priests is a 3.5/5 or a B.
    The Central, King of Harts, Burger-loving, American family guy.

Quote Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
    Heresy! Ned said "Two Thessalonians." Apparently, it's "Second Thessalonians." President Trump got complaints when he said "Two Corinthians."

Is this the first time somebody said Lisa's middle name? It was first revealed in "Lisa's Wedding," but only in writing (on the wedding invitations).

Okay, I'll ask; what was the couch opening parodying?
    Not if you count the Simpsons comcis, except it was the alternate reality issue
    Simpsons Comics 1993-2018

Chatting Simpsons Since '93 Brad Lascelle's Avatar

I enjoyed this week's episode more than last's almost entirely due to Matthew Nastuk really stepping it up on direction.

Perhaps the contrast stood out more thanks to the lengthy hiatus followed by two straight weeks of Bob Anderson mediocrity - and I'd say that even Bob was better than he usually is. But this was on an entirely different level especially in terms of scene framing. He went out of his way to make this back half of a pedestrian two-parter with a disappointing script seem like a bigger deal than it was. And I clearly noticed the heavy lifting that was done. I hope I'm not the only one.

This wasn't quite Rob Oliver / David Silverman-calibre or anything. But he clearly gave a damn and I will always appreciate when someone on this show gives a damn.

Apart from that, however... most of the characterizations the past two weeks have been predictable and rote and the intentional absence of a subplot seemed to be counter-balanced by an abundance of Family Guy-style cutaway gags that I, frankly, did not exactly appreciate. I'd rather have the throwaway subplot unless you're actually giving us a meaningful A plot that is fully fleshed out to capitalize on its potential and isn't merely being milked for time.

Could have done something with Bart instead of writing him out and then making a "where the fuck were you" joke at the end to highlight how you could care less about him. Selman doesn't do that.
    SEASON 31 RANKINGS
    The Winter of Our Monetized Content - 1.5/5 / Go Big or Go Homer - 2.5/5 / The Fat Blue Line - 3.5/5
    THOH XXX = Danger Things - 2.5/5 / Heaven Swipes Right - 1.5/5 / When Hairy Met Slimy - 2/5
    Gorillas on the Mast - 3.5/5 / Marge the Lumberjill - 2/5 / Livin' La Pura Vida - 5/5
    THANKSGIVING OF HORROR = A-Gobble-ypto - 3/5 / The Fourth Thursday After Tomorrow - 5/5 / The Last Thanksgiving - 3.5/5
    Todd, Todd, Why Hast Thou Forsaken Me? - 3.5/5 / Bobby, It's Cold Outside - 2.5/5 / Hail to the Teeth - 1.5/5
    The Miseducation of Lisa Simpson - 2/5 / Frinkcoin - 3/5 / Maggie Simpson In "Playdate with Destiny" - 4/5
    Bart the Bad Guy - 5/5 / Screenless - 2/5 / Better Off Ned - 2.5/5 / Highway to Well - 4/5
    The Incredible Lightness of Being a Baby - 2.5/5 / Warrin' Priests - 2/5 / The Hateful Eight-Year-Olds - 4.5/5 / The Way of the Dog - 5/5

will gut you like a fish BloodySimpsonChibi's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Now that I've seen part 2 I can safely say.......what a load a shit!

Ned was an insufferable asshole. Lisa was shat on by the whole universe again (not to mention her cringey ass song.) Then there was barely even an ending.

Why did this piece of shit have to be a two-parter. Why did we have to suffer two weeks of this? Why!?

1/10
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaine View Post
    I'd imagine patting Lisa on the head would sting, damn kids with their spiky heads.

So this is gonna be an long review. Oh boy. Where do I start here?

Yeah, that for sure wasn't very good and it definitely didn't deserve to be a two-parter. The story itself, that with the hip and likeable young pastor Bode Wright coming to Springfield and winning everyone's hearts while Reverend Tim Lovejoy gets replaced due to his unpopularity and plans revenge on Bode by digging up dirt on him, wasn't that bad of a plot and had some decent moments and jokes (mostly in the first half) & many of the secondary characters being involved was nice, but it felt stretched out, the pacing wasn't good, it had some padding and filler & and there were spots that felt thin and dull overall. Bode was bland and too much of an ideal perfect guy and several prominent characters like Tim and Ned came off as at least a little unlikeable. The first part was okay and showed promise but the second one was a unfunny mess for the most part and dragged the whole story down to something even more padded and bland. There was a good idea in there for sure but it wasn't pulled off very well so I consider this one a big disappointment (even though I didn't expect much in the first place).

To the episode's credit, I did think it started out well, quickly getting the plot going with Tim Lovejoy's sermon being extremey drab and boring and the new guy Bode arriving in town and eventually coming to be a beloved addition to the town, a nice and cool guy who gets everyone's interest while Lovejoy tries to stay relevant but failing and getting the boot. Despite it feeling stretched thin the slower pacing worked fine, it had nice bits of humor & some good moments such as of Bode interacting with the others (like the marriage counseling with Homer & Marge). Lisa becoming a fan of Bode as he's into Buddhism, spends some time talking with him and meditating, etc. wasn't a bad subplot but fairly average and insubstantial overall; it just wasn't that interesting or substantial, with Bode being bland and Lisa idolizing a new male figure in her life having been done often before. Tim being overshadowed, not wanting anything to do with him and being desperate to keep up was an decent conflict for him, though not that good either and I didn't like how he turned into an petty jerk intent to sabotage Bode, ending the first part with him finding out about an incriminating incident in the new guy's past, deciding to find out what it is. Very middle of the road but not that bad at all, though thin as said and with Bode's past coming up a bit too early in the story (end of the first half).

Despite an OK set up and the things that I did like about the first part, it really didn't continue over to the second part, which is where the episode really grinded to a halt. It continues where they left off in part I but there was so many things that faltered or just didn't work. First off, there was almost an complete intro, with a long parodical couch gag and an "Last Time on 'The Simpsons'" recap (taking two minutes). Then Bode has another one of his perfect, engrossing sermons that speaks to everyone and they all love him (he seriously felt like a fan fiction self-insert) and Ned gets fed up and behaves like an angry extremist asshole, not liking Bode's tolerance or the way the church has gone from "warm, awkward silences" to "love-fests run by a narcissist" and wanting the good ol' church days back before leaving with his boys (This was terrible. Also Ned's reason to turn away from the church felt so petty and out of character & the conflict was contrived and pointless). Then we have Lisa break out into song about her newfound appreciation for church on Sunday and how much she crushes on Bode and it felt out of place and took too long (also the fantasy had an odd end with the choreographer guy showing up, which was pointless).

The Lovejoy plot of Tim & Helen going to Michigan to look up what bad thing Bode did & it just dragged with the electronic helper "Holy Cow" and the couple being shown some show-sermon in an packed auditorium (where the crowd is going nuts & there's a monkey in angel gear doing backflips for several seconds) in an completely pointless scene. Then they finally see the head honcho, Preacher Mac, and he goes on forever about Bode's past before getting to the point (thankfully this was done with a dissolve) & he finally gives Tim an USB with the old video of Bode burning something, prompting the Reverend to rush home. It felt clumsy with how they dragged it out with that filler and I didn't like Tim being so vindictive (and then there's a mean-spirited joke about Tim having his arm broken off-screen by a trucker he yelled at while stuck in traffic). The rest of Lisa's story about crushing on Bode and her "Vision Board" was pretty lame, though the bit with Bode and Homer going to Moe's and Homer confessing to the preacher was a decent scene. As for the culmination of Ned's enmity with Bode, having a western-duel by quoting the bible, it was silly and unengaging (and it was hard to care when Ned was such an unreasonable jerk).

So Tim gets back to church (his broken arms in casts) and calls out Bode and reveals his secret, which was burning a bible during a sermon (which was the reason he got fired) & the townsfolk are disappointed and/or horrified except for Lisa. First off, so much fuss of disaster-like proportions being made over the burning of one bible was ridiculous (such a lame reason to get rid of him), made worse by dragging it out into an hearing with everyone wanting Bode banished and Lisa defending him. Bode being quiet about his deed until the very final scene where he opens up to Lisa in private was really odd (he did it when he was young as he wanted to tell people that God is in your heart and not just tied to a book). Why the hell didn't he explain all this to everyone at church when the Reverend came in to accuse him? Also why drag it out when Tim could just have shown everyone the video on an computer then and there and deal with it right away? Also, Bode coming over for dinner at the Simpsons' before the last scene felt jarring (as was Bart randomly showing up at the end with Homer asking where he was: they could seriously not give Bart something to do?). Really contrived and frustrating. Then Bode leaves, the town shunning him, and there's an extended scene with Chief Wiggum and Lou and it was very meh. End of story.

So as far as humor goes, the episode wasn't strong, but I'll admit that Part I had a lot of nice ones throughout (both lines and visual gags) and even though Part II was really unfunny to me (sat with a straight face a lot of the time as it failed pretty badly here) it had a few moments among all the forgettableness (a couple I remember was Moe's face on an piece of toast & the Planet Of The Apes marathon joke). The animation was decent and had its moments of good character animation and lighting. Characterizations were mixed, with several such as most of the Simpson family and many secondaries coming off pretty well and others like Ned, Tim & even Lisa at times coming off as annoying and unlikeable, especially Ned (who was horrible here as something of an angry, narrow-minded fundamentalist who behaves like an lunatic; he really irritated me here). Lovejoy suffered less but his overzelaous pettiniess was too much (just because he cannot accept Bode who is understandably better & try to change himself he needs to be an asshole) & Lisa wasn't bad but her behavior was a bit too much at times. Pete Holmes as Bode did okay, but the character was too vanilla and perfect, more like an MacGuffin that the others fawn over, and there just wasn't much interesting about him (he was just a nice, likeable guy who is good with words, nothing more).

All in all, maybe not an completely terrible episode but an definite example of an weak one, especially with how it dropped the ball in the second half but also due to having a lot of problems overall, such as it feeling more like an regular 22 minute episode stretched out over two which should be a thing, but it is so definitely not worthy of being a two-parter (I think 'The Great Phatsby' did a better job of deserving to be two episodes,). The writing by Holmes wasn't too inspired either, as the plotlines have been done before and better (Lovejoy has a conflict regarding his job, Lisa getting a new male role model/crush whom she looks up too, Ned having an religious issue, Homer's relationship with Marge being a bit troubled, etc.) and then there was the bad characterizations, the filler and the empty moments where it felt like not much actually happened, overall bland tone & getting boring at times, not to forget the predictably dull character Bode (whom I had hoped would be more vibrant and funnier, not this idealized and perfect man whom everyone looks up to). It being unnecessarily dragged out was a problem and would have been better suited as an regular episode (though that doesn't fix the problems with the writing).

I had hope after the first part (which wasn't so bad at all and had promise, as said) but then it just crashed, especially that last 1/4th of Part II. Sure, it did have its moments but they weren't enough to save it, especially not after that last part . For an episode about Warrin' Priests, the conflict (and most other aspects) sure could have been pulled off much better. I felt very disappointed and frustrated regarding the second part after that flawed but not bad first part seeming to set up something fairly decent. Had the final act been less of an oddly-written mess and something more substantial it might have helped a little, but with the bland and not very uninteresting plotlines, the padding stuff, the contrived moments and stretches the episode seemed to just stall & those bad characterizations it had problems. Maybe the second episode had better and more inspired direction, but it had more that bothered me and was considerably worse with the humor. I'll take the "safe" first part over the second part mess in an heartbeat. The episode had good ingredients but failed to do anything above average with it (in this case I think Selman could have done well).

Part I: 2.5/5 rounded up to 3/5
    Part II: 1.5/5 rounded down to 1/5

I'm giving this two-parter an collected 2/5, mostly due to liking the first part well enough and some good and fairly likeable scenes, moments and jokes throughout the whole thing. Had the second part not been such an disappointing letdown it could've at least been an 3/5.
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 07-04-2020 at 04:18 AM.

Blog Entries

15. Thumbs Up To This Post by: orangemo

Notes:
    -Not a fan of couch gags whose references I don't get. I've never seen Succession, but I guess they parodied the opening pretty well.
    -I can buy that Ned is not a fan of Bode. I just wish he wasn't portrayed as being so negative. Angry zealot Ned is not my favorite characterization. I laughed at what "NED" stood for though.
    -Weird little Lisa fantasy here. Lisa attends church with her family so I guess she wouldn't mind having Jesus in her life in addition to her other, uh, "religions", which includes Buddhism and Almighty Science.
    -The megachurch parody is kinda funny. As someone who was raised Catholic, the idea of megachurches has always been very off-putting to me.
    -Lisa's middle name revealed? Can't remember if it was mentioned in another episode.
    -Wow, Bart burns Lisa. If Lisa had burned Bart, people on this forum would be whining about it for weeks.
    -Didn't need to know that Homer fantasizes about the Charmin bear.
    -Homer's response to Bode's annoyance with Flanders
    -This quote war between Flanders and Bode perfectly illustrates by Bible quote wars are silly.
    -So many puns in this episode...
    -Not a fan of the meta-reference to Bart's absence. Include him or don't include him, but don't draw attention to him not being included.
    -Maggie playing the trumpet was adorable.
    -Ugh, woke Sea Captain...
    -Hmm. So that's it. Bode's explanation makes sense, but then he just has to leave, the town stays angry, and people continue their lack of interest in church.

Summary:
    This just wasn't great, the second half alone and this episode as a two-parter. On one hand, Bode offers a chance for things to change in Springfield (and we can say what we like about his changes, some of them seemed reasonable, others seemed too much like what conservatives imagine more liberal Christians are like) but in the end, nothing changes. Bode leaves the town behind, Springfieldians are once again portrayed as unforgiving jerks, and we wait until next week. Sometimes these newer episodes seem a lot more pessimistic than previous ones. We weren't even provided with any character growth for Lovejoy. He was losing his parishioners through his boring sermons and lack of connection with people, but in the end he only returns in "triumph" through his condemnation of the new guy. He hasn't proven that he's changed his means of reaching people. Does this mean everyone goes back to hating their time in church? So what was the point of all this, just to show how Springfield can't accept a change and was better off with an unengaging preacher and Flanders' vision of how religion should be? This episode was a downer.

The first part wasn't great, but it was better.

2/5 for the second part.
    Get woke, go broke

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

Another thing I noticed...I know that, whenever God appears, He (as opposed to "he" - and "she" is out of the question, but that's another story) is drawn with 10 fingers and 10 toes, and I thought the same applied to Jesus, but in Lisa's song, Jesus only has 8 fingers and 8 toes.

I noticed that as well, but I thought the five fingers and toes only applied to God.
    Family Guy Season 18 Ratings - Yacht Rocky: 1.5/5 Bri-Da: 2.5/5 Absolutely Babulous: 1.5/5 Disney's The Reboot: 1.5/5 Cat Fight: 1.5/5 Peter & Lois' Wedding: .5/5 Heart Burn: 1.5/5 Shanksgiving: .5/5 Christmas is Coming: 2/5 Connie's Celica: 0/5 Short Cuts: 2/5 Undergrounded: 1.5/5 Rich Old Stewie: 3.5/5 The Movement: .5/5 Baby Stewie: 0/5 Start Me Up: 1/5 Coma Guy: 1/5 Better Off Meg: .5/5 Holy Bibble: 0/5 Movin' In (Principal Shepherd's Song): 0/5
    American Dad! Season 16 Ratings - 100 Years a Solid Fool: 0/5 A Starboy is Born: 1/5 Tapped Out: 0/5 Brave N00b World: 0/5 Into the Woods: 0/5 One Fish, Two Fish: 1.5/5 Exquisite Corpses: 2/5 Trophy Wife, Trophy Life: 1.5/5 Game Night: 2/5 American Data?: 0/5 Salute Your Sllort: 0/5 Ghost Dad: TBD Men II Boyz: TBD Roger Needs Dick: 0/5

19. Thumbs Up To This Post by: orangemo

I've never noticed that before. That's a weird way of signalling divinity--the presence of more digits.

21. Thumbs Up To This Post by: orangemo

Blog Entries

Very lackluster two-parter. There wasn't really any payoff to any of the plots and I didn't find burning the bible to be as big as a deal as they made it out to be. If they left out a lot of unnecesary filler like the overly long couch gag with maybe a sub plot or two, they could have easily turned this into one episode. Compared to Who Shot Mr Burns where both parts had entirely different premises, part 1 was all an evil Burns screwing over everyone in Springfield while in part 2 it is all about finding out who killed him. In this two-parter it was just an extension where they hardly did anything new. Bode Wright remained a pretty good quest character at least.

There was a good amount of jokes, mostly small ones but one of the longer gag that I liked the most was Homer's reaction to Bode when he said that Flanders was annoying. I was probably the most interested in the Lovejoy plot as we don't see them as a couple enough and it was kind of interesting to see where they were heading. Not sure what to think of the ''Holy Cow'' joke. Lisa I didn't find as interesting, though I liked her dialogue with Bode at the end. Ned had a pretty funny showdown but it just didn't land anywhere. And lets not forget about Bart who was obviously very important in this episode as they really wanted to let us know with a certain joke. Also apparently the Simpsons will never end.

I didn't expect much but I wanted to see more than what we got. Most plots felt underdeveloped and they often relied on a lot of quick church/religion related jokes to be fired off. I'm all for doing two-parters but at least do something more interesting with them, don't recycle an old plot that has already been done better in an older episode. It makes me feel that I wasted my time watching a two-parter while I could've seen better from just one episode instead. I do like that they gave the Lovejoy family their own plot who could use more development. Overall this episode mostly gets carried by its jokes which felt like there were a lot, with some of them sticking out to be pretty funny. Unlike the previous part I'll be rating this lower:

2/5
    Episodes rated best and worst from each season:
    1: Krusty Gets Busted/Homer's Night Out 2: The Way We Was/Bart's Dog Gets an F 3: Colonel Homer/Dog of Death 4: Marge vs. The Monorail/So It's Come to This: A Simpsons Clip Show 5: Cape Feare/Bart Gets An Elephant 6: Treehouse of Horror V/Another Simpsons Clip Show 7: Mother Simpson/Homerpalooza 8: You Only Move Twice/The Canine Mutiny 9: Lisa's Sax/The Two Mrs. Nahasapeemapetilons 10: Lisa Gets an A/Sunday Cruddy Sunday 11: Behind The Laughter/Beyond Blunderdome 12: Trilogy of Error/The Computer Wore Menace Shoes 13: I Am Furious Yellow/Homer the Moe 14: The Dad Who Knew Too Little/Large Marge 15: The Way We Weren't/Diatribe of a Mad Housewife 16: Thank God Its Doomsday/Mommie Beerest 17: Marge's Son Poisoning/Bonfire of the Manatees 18: Marge Gamer/Revenge is Best Served Three Times 19: Treehouse of Horror XVIII/That 90's Show 20: Gone Maggie Gone/Coming To Homerica 21: O Brother, Where Bart thou?/The Devil Wears Nada 22: Homer Scissorhands/The Fool Monty 23: Holidays of Future Passed/Moe Goes From Rags To Riches 24: Adventures In Baby-Getting/Whiskey Business 25: Brick Like Me/White Christmas Blues 26: Bart's New Friend/The Musk Who Fell to Earth 27: Halloween of Horror/Every Man's Dream 28: There Will Be Buds/Moho House 29: Gone Boy/Throw Grampa from the Dane

23. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Szyslak100

Simpsons hot take on religion, or lackluster borefest? I say neither...
    I guess it's 2.5/5 because it made me laugh a few times, like when Moe is "citing" St. Paul.
    In my eyes, it honestly (although probably not by design) shows spiritual emptiness of "New Age Ecumenical Christianity" with this last mass being about literally singing aloha songs.
    If they really want to make edgy relgious episode, they should bring some rad trad catholics to Springfield.

I Just Want My Kids Back EthanRunt's Avatar

It's a good job they spread that over two episodes, how else were they going to tell a rich, full story with strong conclusion... huh? Credits after those two scenes? Erm.... that's not an...ending.....
    Also the Succession bit was pretty lacking, three moments from the opening sequence mildly stretched to parody, but not to say or do anything. Why bother even doing it?

Blog Entries

Well, part 2 is definitely worse. Not that there still weren't some funny jokes ("Practice makes malperfect!", Helen reminding Tim to take off his hat or wondering where the hell Bart went, or actually getting a shot in on Lisa without being decked or something for a change) but then... well the synopsis of part 2 only comes into play at about 17 minutes in. There's a lot of filler and one of the things I praised about part 1, plenty of Lovejoys, isn't so much true here. That said, in part 2 Helen went from throwing herself at Bode to actually being kinda supportive to Tim. She may have oddly been one of the more likeable characters in PII.
    And yeah the Bode stuff becomes a lot more obnoxious and slightly creepy knowing he was voiced by the writer. Not that I don't admire the sheer guts of someone who wrote a self-insert fic and got it not only made into an episode but a two parter.
    And the ending, wasn't much of one at all. It's a shame because honestly, there could have been something interesting, with the idea of something dumb someone had done before still haunting them years later thanks to people who are jealous or vindictive to who there are at present but it was barely touched upon.

So, overall, not good. However unlike two other episodes this season I still found something to like and it wasn't a complete misery to endure. It's probably not a good thing that at worst it only qualifies for third least favourite of the season.
    2/5
    Season 31 just sucked.

27. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Szyslak100

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

Phil Payton's review on Fox Review Round-Up

No to cooties and sisters. Shoskin's Avatar

Ok. The premise in 10 points for both episodes:

1. Church is boring
    2. New reverend comes in.
    3. Helen Lovejoy is a bitch.
    4. Supposedly the choir and the others have the power to fire Rev. Lovejoy and not the Deacon.
    5. Rev. Lovejoy gets mad and sad for being replaced. Then gets extremely vindictive and drives all the way to Michigan to wreck a mans life who just made a mistake.
    6. Ned gets upset that some new flavor comes in.
    7. Someone actually calls out Ned on his religious hypocrisy because he feels that only his way of church is the only they should worship and to worship another way Is blasphemous.
    8. Lisa falls in love, spiritually, with someone enlightened only to have her hopes crushed. Again!
    9. Instead of talking about why someone did it, they run the person out.
    10. Lisa likes being so annoying so much she brings her damn sax everywhere with her.

When I started watching part 1, I noticed it was moving slow and from there it didn't really move any faster. These episodes were total duds. A few chuckles. Repetitive from past episodes. Lisa finding people to look up to. New reverends. Old reverends. Blah, blah, blah.

2/5

Watching the second part of an episode whose first part was ordinary and home-spun was one of the less exciting experiences I ever had watching The Simpsons. Fortunately, this unnecessarily overextended experiment courtesy of Pete Holmes has gone, and we can back to the normal program. It was not worthy of getting such a privilege of becoming in the third double-length episode (after thirty-three years!). I'm going to try that this fact doesn't affect my impartiality, but I want to emphasize that the lack of material and consistency of a one-hour special makes me angry.

Springfield's Church signs are always hilarious.

I will start my review by assessing Bode. I wish the episode had another priority but, as we suspected, it was Pete Holmes's narrative about Pete Holmes's character. For the most time, it was not The Simpsons as we conceive them. It was something like "The youth Priest's show featuring The Simpsons". Bode was not a remarkable character. He was presented as the perfect guy and that was the only facet he maintained throughout the entire episode, which feels derivative and repetitive. That's fine in small doses. I mean, I would not have a problem if Bode would have been presented as the perfect guy and then slowly downgrade to a normal person, I would not have a problem if the guy would aspire to be a great person but failing in the attempt, I would not even have a problem if he started with the wrong feet and then search for redemption. But Bode was almost the reincarnation of Jesus himself. Yeah, he was useful to bring out some potentially interesting aspects of the main and of the secondary cast and, after all, that's what I ask for. But he received A LOT of screentime to be such an inessential forgettable character. Many unwarranted speeches and sermons that makes me feel like if Pete Holmes just wanted his character to be adored, with a unbetterable aspect, a lot of pacifier comments, absolute goodness and pure, humble, with a great oratory, able to sing, a connoisseur. With the proper story to tell in each situation, with the exact metaphor, with the capacity to appear in a piece of bread. Come on. The good impression the writer tried to give us of his own character turned out in a con and, while I can not say I hate him, I didn't care about him at all and makes me feel that, as Ned said, Bode was just a narcissistic. Maybe this episode needs a third part so Bode makes more incredible actions so I can change my mind. Right?

Ladies and gentlemen, with you, Bode Wright, one of the most irritating characters of the entire show.

Bode's apparent perfection was extended to the positive image he generated in Lisa. The girl, as well as her family, were involved in a lazy way in the story – that's why I sustain that The Simpsons just made kind of a cameo in which seems to be the show of the guest star. She has an instant crush on the new priest because why not. It was notoriously forced at the start: He just sang Amazing Grace and she immediately stares him. Then, the relationship is strengthened when Lisa realizes that they have a lot of common interests, including vegetarianism, jazz (checkmate! he was not so perfect), and Buddhism, which makes a click in Lisa's way to live the religion and her spirituality. Lisa automatically becomes a "believer" now and she accepts Christ, Budda, and science in her life. Does it have even sense? Well, it apparently has sense because the perfect guy practices it too. So, both share a meditation session and it was the most uplifting ever experimented by Lisa, obviously. I'm going to deepen on that scene later. Lisa was the main support when Bode's big sin was discovered. He burned a Bible down when he was a teenager (don't worry, he clearly had good intentions). Bode decided to leave the town because he noticed he divided the town when he actually tried to join them. But before getting out, he has dinner with The Simpsons and farewell to Lisa when they finally have a conversation that called my attention, with some inspiring quotes here and there, like when Lisa said that the age was not an excuse because she is 8 and she gets it or Bode hoping that there was a message written in red in the brick. The low standards make me find it surprisingly amusing.

Lisa has religious power!

To vary a bit, Bode also was the hero in the conflicting marriage of Marge and Homer. This time, Homer apparently sold their house. That allowed one of the very few analogies from Bode that I really liked: when he proposes each of them to stand in the shoes of the other one. Literally. That was a clever moment, even if it was artificial how it solved their conflict, added to a random comment about the house, which won't ever pass an inspection according to the Reverend. There was not too much about them here. Marge insinuating him was certainly unnerving. Homer has a nice conversation with him in Moe's Tavern about Flanders and did some observations in some scenes. But nothing more than that. At least they were too more important than Bart. The boy was simply leaving aside and the writers just included a joke about how absent he was. Actually, he even wasn't in the family dinner where that joke took place. The fact they remarked his absence was even worse than exclude him. Even Maggie has a cute appearance playing the trumpet. The one who receives a part of what we can call a subplot was Ned Flanders. But don't get excited. It was another lackluster one. Once again, the crazy-religious facet takes possession of this poorly written character. Loyal bootlicker of Reverend Lovejoy, conservative as hell in the Church, affronting Bode, repudiating Julio, making a scene because the others do not process the faith in the same manner as him. But that's not the worst. The worst is that Bode beats him in a battle of the Bible's passages and their interpretations. If you go with the hysterical Ned, go with the hysterical Ned until the end. He can not be beaten in that kind of duel!

This the face you put when you become a unidimensional guy and it's not enough to win a Bible war.

Two characters that usually pass unadvertised had a huge opportunity to sparkle. I'm referring to Tim and Helen. They were the only ones to avoid the wave of Bode's arrogance and have an adventure without his intromission. However, they jaunt to Michigan was absolutely forgettable. Yet, it feels fresh those shots of their marriage: Tim incidental subscription to Bode's Youtube channel, the pysterious past joke, and the choo-choo-room letdown commentary from Tim when Helen started to be attracted to his husband were all enjoyable if nothing special. It was nice to watch Helen as a supportive wife even if she implicitly expressed double-intentions with Bode at the beginning and even if she was culpable to bring the new Priest into the Church. I have some problems with Helen as a character but I found her kinda likable, especially after introducing Bode. My biggest complaint about it is that Jessica does not even have a cameo. She should appear at least in the car, it was a big neglecting that she was so forgotten. They could pair her to Bart again and give prominence to both forgotten characters, I don't know. But exclude her was not too smart. I also have problems with Lovejoy magically recovering from his voice problems. They opened a plot arc that never touched again, getting it unconcluded. Their visit to the megachurch was uninspired and there is nothing to rescue from that. Curiously, the religious satire was empty, as usual. There were some bits I enjoyed, like Lisa marking the wrong parts of the Bible, but it was plain and simple as the show get us used. I guess they tried a wise exploration of the topic through Bode's monologues but, what can I say? I almost sleep when they occurred.

I would not be against the idea of exploring some marriages of Springfield more often.

Probably, the best part of the episode was the spotlight in Springfield as a town and in many of the city dwellers in particular. They were the center of most of the funniest scenes and it was nice to have watched some characters that appear infrequently. Old-Jewish Man asking when happened the New Testament, the ancients playing "Gingo", Moe canceling the date with Louie (sadly, it is another joke about suicidal Moe), Snake looking for redemption and with problems of pronunciation, Kirk happy because he was touching Homer, Julio and Smithers at Church, Nick Riviera ignorant comment about medicine –I laughed with the quote "malpractice makes malperfect"–, Bode avoiding a date with Mrs. Muntz, Luann requiring proof, Kent Brockman's segment " Talking, Saying Nothing", Captain McCallister clever observations about the environment, Lindsey Neagle and Lenny opposites farewell to Bode, and Lou laughing out loud when he has to praise Clancy Wiggum's family. Hey, even Apu and Manjula appeared and they were reference as Hindus. Wow, this show is so irreverent (?). No, but seriously, that was just an extensive list of gags that landed on the good port. Others didn't work too much for me, as Milhouse hanging on the mast or none of Mr. Burns dull interventions. But overall the ratio of accurate use of peripheral characters was high and I was happy for that. They did achieve a nice use of Springfieldeers as a whole, adoring Bode as a herd and then shout for banishing him as a herd too. I loved Moe's quote: "We've mobbed for less". That was true. Springfield's people expressing anger is generally hilarious and this time it was not the exception. I also liked Lisa's reflection about them at the end.

Bumblebee Man also has a nice appearance. Easily the greatest aspect of the episode is on these characters.

Last, but not least important, I have some random notes to share. I want to talk about a sort of humor that I find really inadequate for such a show that always tried to be realistic and that this episode used a lot. It's what you guys define as the Family Guy-esque style. A man disappearing because he actually was dead, the Saints figures taking life, Jesus and Moe's image on a piece of bread, the crickets can answer Ned's sermon. These jokes never work and they were a jolt for me. Another kind of joke that didn't work here, because they were overused and not settled in the proper way, was the meta-references and/or callbacks. Milhouse desiring part two is about him, Kent Brockman summing up what happened in the previous episode, Bode demanding that "The Simpsons never end", Lisa's sign of her older influences. And the last kind of jokes I want to destroy (?) is when Sideshow Mel appoints something when he is part of a crowd. How many of them we have here? Five or six, at least. That works a few times, but they exceeded the limit here. Another thing I'd like to say is that I liked both intros (Succession's parody was fine, as well as the invincibility couch gag) but that proves, once again, that this should not be a special episode. I'm going to end this crazy review with a positive note: animation was really nice in both parts. Bob Anderson and Matthew Nastuk accomplished their work. The first part delivered us that wonderful scenes of meditation where we got some alternative designs for Lisa that I actually loved. It's a shame that it included another meta-reference ("animation budget exceeded") but I really went into it and liked it a lot.

Gorgeous scene for me.

Wow, I did it. It was an exhaustive review. And I still don't know how to finish it. Warrin' Priest was certainly a disappointment, even if I didn't expect anything unique. I will remember it as the one-hour special that does not deserves to be an hour special. It's not an episode I am going to revisit with enthusiasm when the season airs in Latin America. The story was poor, the Simpsons were relegated and Bode was a bad character but he allowed some interesting moments of the secondary characters, so I am not rating it with the lowest note.

2/5
    Last retrospective: Homer Defined (S03E05)

My project of rating and reviewing every episode of Rick and Morty (completed!)

My project of rating and reviewing every episode of BoJack Horseman (last episode: Later)

Um... I thought the "animation budget exceeded" joke was quite funny? But given the amount of padding and non-sequitur jokes that didn't land at all, that really didn't justify being a two-parter. C- (2/5​)
    Season 31 Ratings
    The Winter of Our Monetized Content C+ Go Big or Go Homer ​C- The Fat Blue Line ​C+ Treehouse of Horror XXX ​C- Gorillas on the Mast ​B Marge the Lumberjill C- Livin La Pura Vida ​B- Thanksgiving of Horror ​B Todd, Todd, Why Hast Thou Forsaken Me? ​C Bobby It's Cold Outside ​B- Hail to the Teeth ​D- The Miseducation of Lisa Simpson ​B+ Frinkcoin D+ Bart the Bad Guy ​B+ Screenless ​B Better Off Ned ​C- Highway to Well ​C The Incredible Lightness of Being a Baby ​C+ Warrin' Priests ​C- The Hateful Eight-Year-Olds ​B

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by John95 View Post
    ...Just as I predicted, this was a two-parter... Why?

1/5 (and once again, only because we can't go any lower)
    0/5? like Baby Stewie

Have Brain, Will Travel Wile E. the Brain's Avatar

Okay, so I don't know what to think about this two part episode to be honest. While I won't say I heavily disliked it, I'd say it was kind of a disappointment even though I didn't expect much from it at first. That's quite an accomplishment, in a way. But I don't know if I'm the only one but I do think it had the potential to be at least pretty good, as I do think the plot and the ideas behind it are interesting. Like, among the most interesting things that came out from this season on the paper.

Now the plot itself isn't anything new, it's about a new priest that got the Springfieldians much more interested in church than Lovejoy ever did and the latter getting fired as a result, but the new priest has methods that Lovejoy and especially Flanders are heavily against. Well let's talk about the elephant in the room : the fact it's a two part episode. Well, considering how the plot was handled, I don't think it needed to be a two part episode. But, if the plot was better handled, then it could've been more suitable to be a two part. Most of you noticed it, the second part is mostly filler and the most interesting things are just overlooked. Instead, let's go with another goddamn song among other things. Such a shame, I believe someone already said that but why not extend the part where Bode is in trial against the town or something. Instead of just getting rid of him at the very end (the ironic thing is the fact it's a two part episode, and yet, at the end, I felt like "oh, really, that just ends like that ?").

I guess the whole point of the episode is that the Springfieldians would never change. Y'know, status quo and everything. It's something we know since a long time that Springfieldians will never change (remember the ending of Marge vs. the Monorail ?). And it's interesting when this episode come up with the subject of how religion is handled in the mind of some people. Where the execution can overshadow the message, or everything about possible misinterpretation and everything. And to be honest, these are really interesting topics. And I like the fact they treated it pretty seriously for the most part with Bode's speeches that got the Springfieldians hooked and give them more faith in themselves. It's a good idea, but next to this, the episode also rely on cheap tactics that kinda ruin the good satire.

Of course, the most annoying point of the episode is Ned. And boy, is Ned insufferable in this episode. I already had a problem with the fact he wasn't willing to understand Todd's situation in Todd, Todd, Why Hast You Forsaken Me, and here, it's even worse. And it's even more annoying when you already know he won't change and Bode will go out of the town at the end. Despite the fact Bode won against him about how the Bible should be interpreted (silly scene by the way but I kinda like how it illustrates wars about how the Bible has to be interpreted). I miss the times where Ned was well handled. But oh well, I guess it consolidates the message about how the town will never change.

Now like I said, the fact they wanted to be a little serious about some ideas is nice. For example, the short marriage crisis between Homer and Marge (and thank goodness for the fact it doesn't stay too long), which delivers a very nice scene with Bode reconciling them by making each of them literally standing in the shoes of the other one, and as a result, both of them understand the other one better. It's both clever and sweet. But this kind of stuff is also ruined by how the episode also decides to be quite silly regarding some other points, especially when it comes to the jokes. I don't know if it's just me, but making surreal jokes like the guy who's not alive at the beginning and the living stained glass windows just ruin the intention of handling subjects like the faith in God seriously a bit. Be serious or be surreal about it, but not both.

So the first part is actually kinda decent in my opinion. The pretty serious tone is nice, some of the jokes worked well (despite quite a number of bad ones) and I liked seeing a lot of the Springfieldians having some screentime, I usually enjoy when a lot of these characters appear in an episode with talking time. And some of their interactions are pretty good. I also really like the couch gag of the first part (can't say that about the second part, though, I have no idea what this is a parody of either). The second part however is mostly pointless and boring filler and completely missed opportunities. Also some of the jokes suffer of the two part side of the episode, by making them longer than they needed to be and basically killing them as a result (the joke about the brick not being a message of forgiveness was funny at first, and then annoying). This part was even less funny despite a good line here and there (especially this one that I found hilarious : "I know this is a weird thing to say in church, but we need proof"). Also, like it was said, the meta jokes become kinda annoying and still so out of place here (yeah I really had a problem with Brockman summarizing the events of the previous episodes). But I wouldn't say this part was horrible, just pretty mediocre and a missed opportunity.

In fact, that's how I'd call this whole two part episode, a missed opportunity. On the paper, it really is one of the most interesting episodes that came out of these recent seasons (and the fact it's written by a guest star makes it even more impressive), with a number of interesting ideas about religion and how the Bible can be used to divide, and also how some people doesn't want to give a second chance to someone because of something he did before. But the execution is really hit or miss. That's a bummer.

So, I'd say 3/5 for the first part and 2 or 2.5/5 for the second part. But as for the whole episode, for the rating poll, I'm gonna be generous and giving it a collected 3/5 for all the interesting ideas it got despite a kinda botched execution.
    Last edited by Wile E. the Brain; 05-10-2020 at 07:23 AM.
    It ate EVERYBODY, stupid !

The Winter of Our Monetized Content - 2/5 / Go Big or Go Homer - 2/5 / The Fat Blue Line - 3.5/5 / Treehouse of Horror XXX - 2.5/5 / Gorillas on the Mast - 3.5/5 / Marge the Lumberjill - 2/5 / Livin' la Pura Vida - 4/5 / Thanksgiving of Horror - 4/5 / Todd, Todd, Why Hast Thou Forsaken Me - 2.5/5 / Bobby, it's Cold Outside - 2.5/5 / Hail to the Teeth - 1.5/5 / The Miseducation of Lisa Simpson - 3.5/5 / Frinkcoin - 2/5 / Bart the Bad Guy - 4/5 / Screenless - 3.5/5 / Better Off Ned - 1.5/5 / Highway to Well - 3/5 / The Incredible Lightness of Being a Baby - 2/5 / Warrin' Priests: Part One - 3/5 / Warrin' Priests: Part Two - 2.5/5 / The Hateful Eight-Year-Olds - 3.5/5 / Way of the Dog - TBA

Chatting Simpsons Since '93 Brad Lascelle's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Net View Post
    Simpsons hot take on religion, or lackluster borefest? I say neither...
    I guess it's 2.5/5 because it made me laugh a few times, like when Moe is "citing" St. Paul.
    In my eyes, it honestly (although probably not by design) shows spiritual emptiness of "New Age Ecumenical Christianity" with this last mass being about literally singing aloha songs.
    If they really want to make edgy relgious episode, they should bring some rad trad catholics to Springfield.
    Would you like me to round your overall score down to a 2 or up to a 3 for the site consensus rating, @Net?

Incidentally, for the rest of you, I'm taking your final Part 2 score as your rating for Warrin' Priests as a whole, so be sure to let me know if you'd prefer that your overall score be reflected differently if you scored each part separately. Take Wile E.'s fine example above as a template if you'd prefer.

Well I guess it's 2/5 because there is really nothing memorable about that 2 episodes... I mean they done so many episodes with interesting stories but they give this one 2 parts? I really hope that either they will end with season 32 or hire some writing talent with fresh ideas...

Thread Information