Thread: Fox Sunday Speculation Thread

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

Fox Sunday Speculation Thread

This is a breakoff from the Duncanville thread, as I had a response that didn't really apply to just Duncanville.

Apparently, Duncanville is being pulled for the 2020-21 season, but will return in 2021-22.
    This brings up the questions:
    (a) Why?
    (b) How is Fox going to schedule its remaining animation?

I assume the answer to (a) is, Fox wil already have six shows next season (The Simpsons, Family Guy, Bob's Burgers, Bless the Harts, The Great North, Housebroken).

As for (b), the schedule may depend on whether Bless the Harts got an order for 13 episodes or 22.
    If it's 22, then that fills the 8-10 Eastern/Pacific time block for the entire season. There are two possibilities in this case:
    1. Both new shows start airing in January. Even if they start 1/31, and take off for the Super Bowl, the Oscars, Palm Sunday, and Easter, I count 13 Sundays available - and a show's first season tends to have fewer than 13, presumably so they have episodes in hand for its second season.
    2. One airs at 7:30 starting 9/27. There will probably be seven Fox NFL doubleheaders between then and 1/3, which leaves ten Sundays; remove one for the World Series, assuming it's still played as scheduled, and two for Christmas/New Year's, and that leaves seven.

The next question is, is Fox considering cancelling, or at least moving, Family Guy after next season? That would open up a slot in the 8-10 block.

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

So I think the schedule will be like this for Fall/Spring

Fall:
    7 - Football
    7:30 - Either Bob's Burgers or Bless the Harts
    8 - Simpsons
    8:30 - The Great North (fall only)
    9 - Either Bob's or Harts
    9:30 - Family Guy

Spring
    7 - Rerun of Simpsons or live-action show
    7:30 - Either Bob's or Harts
    8 - Simpsons
    8:30 - Housebroken (if it makes it to air because it might not due to coronavirus)
    9 - Either Bob's or Harts

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
    This is a breakoff from the Duncanville thread, as I had a response that didn't really apply to just Duncanville.

Apparently, Duncanville is being pulled for the 2020-21 season, but will return in 2021-22.
    This brings up the questions:
    (a) Why?
    (b) How is Fox going to schedule its remaining animation?

I assume the answer to (a) is, Fox wil already have six shows next season (The Simpsons, Family Guy, Bob's Burgers, Bless the Harts, The Great North, Housebroken).

As for (b), the schedule may depend on whether Bless the Harts got an order for 13 episodes or 22.
    If it's 22, then that fills the 8-10 Eastern/Pacific time block for the entire season. There are two possibilities in this case:
    1. Both new shows start airing in January. Even if they start 1/31, and take off for the Super Bowl, the Oscars, Palm Sunday, and Easter, I count 13 Sundays available - and a show's first season tends to have fewer than 13, presumably so they have episodes in hand for its second season.
    2. One airs at 7:30 starting 9/27. There will probably be seven Fox NFL doubleheaders between then and 1/3, which leaves ten Sundays; remove one for the World Series, assuming it's still played as scheduled, and two for Christmas/New Year's, and that leaves seven.

The next question is, is Fox considering cancelling, or at least moving, Family Guy after next season? That would open up a slot in the 8-10 block.
    1. Animation takes at least 9-10 months and Fox rather have a full season rather than a short mini season (like Season 2 of Bob's Burgers). Duncanville also will hold over the last 2-3 episodes (Kimberly's Party, Wolf Mother, and Annie Oaklie) for the second season.
    2. Bless the Harts also has 3 holdovers. I assumed Fox ordered 22 episodes but will hold over a few if the show gets renewed for a third season (I guarantee it will). When Fox renews they tend to keep renewing and renewing. At this point, they can stop ordering new animated shows.

I know Simpsons is definitely getting a season 33 because of Al Jean confirming there will be a Treehouse 32. The Great North has Loren Bouchard and the Molyneux sisters and Fox also owns half of that show so that one is guaranteed an early renewal. Housebroken is an original concept. It's about a threapy dog who conducts sessions with other animals studying human dysfunction. It sounds interesting and Fox actually owns this one in full (not Disney) so they might wanna renew it to get a syndication deal. And this time they will be able to sell it to Adult Swim.

I heard they might move some animation to Friday night comedy with the live-actions or they'll just straight end Family Guy.

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

Quote Originally Posted by orangemo View Post
    So I think the schedule will be like this for Fall/Spring

Fall:
    7 - Football
    7:30 - Either Bob's Burgers or Bless the Harts
    Er, either football runs until 8:00, or it's not on at all (except in a handful of cities) that week.

Fox is not going back to the days of trying to program something at 7:30 on an NFL doubleheader day - especially with late games starting at 4:25 instead of 4:15.

5. Thumbs Up To This Post by: orangemo

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

Er, either football runs until 8:00, or it's not on at all (except in a handful of cities) that week.

Fox is not going back to the days of trying to program something at 7:30 on an NFL doubleheader day - especially with late games starting at 4:25 instead of 4:15.
    That’s true too. I’m sure if Fox doesn’t air one of them they’ll double up on that show in the spring. They did double up for season 8 of Bob’s Burgers close to the end.

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

Someone wondered if Great North and Housebroken would both debut in the spring. If so, the fall schedule would be the same as this year,Simpsons at 8, Harts at 8:30, etc. Problem is Fox wants the new shows at 8:30. Simpsons is not leaving 8pm that's for sure, and Fox doesn't want to put their new shows at 9:30. Look at Rel and Bordertown, they suffered because of it. Also problem is if Fox renews The Great North (which NO DOUBT is going to be renewed because Lizzie and Wendy Molyneux, Bob's Burgers' top writers are co-creators, and Loren Bouchard is executive producer), it won't be ready until Fall 2022. Housebroken is an original concept, but it's a risky one, as people tend to dislike Fox cartoons that aren't about families.

Housebroken (from Kapital, Fox Entertainment, and Bento Box) explores a suburban neighborhood from a pet's perspective. All the animals are anthromorphic and attend thearpy sessions that are conducted by a thearpy dog named Honey (voiced by co-creator Clea Duvall). Housebroken is also the first animated series that Fox fully owns since the Disney buyout of 21st Century Fox, so they might renew it to get a syndication deal. Remember that Fox lost all its assets but they have $70 billion in reserve. Renewing the new animated series until they have enough for syndication is a great idea (Fox owns half of Bless the Harts and The Great North, 1/3 of Duncanville, and 100% of Housebroken) from a business perspective. If Duncanville, Harts, and North get syndication deals, they'll likely go to FXX, while Housebroken will likely go to Adult Swim (FOX put all their animated syndicated shows except Simpsons (AS didn't exist at the time Simpsons went into syndication) on Adult Swim). And Housebroken might even get delayed to 2021-22 due to the coronavirus crisis. Great North has most of their episodes already copyrighted in the US Copyright database, so they're definitely debuting this Fall or Spring.

While the Great North (from 20th Century Fox, Fox Entertainment, and Bento Box) is about a family, though a single dad and no mom. The dad (voiced by Nick Offerman) tries to juggle rural Alaskan life with his kids, but is taken into the world of art through his talented daughter (Jenny Slate), who spends most of her time at the mall. In addition to Offerman and Slate, Megan Mullally, Aparna Nancherla, Will Forte, Dulce Sloan, and Paul Rust are in it, with everyone but the latter two having recurring or minor roles on Bob's Burgers. Don't forget Loren Bouchard also has Central Park debuting this year as well (from 20th Century Fox and Bento Box) for Apple TV+ (originally for Fox). That one got renewed for season 2 ahead of its debut, so I'm sure Fox will give Great North an early S2 renewal due to the confidence they have in Loren Bouchard.

I think Fox can stop ordering new shows right now. Bob's Burgers is planning to stay around for a while, and Fox owns Bento Box now so they must have some rights to Bob's Burgers. They own half of its sister series The Great North, which is very likely to crossover or exist in the same world as Bob's Burgers. Simpsons and Family Guy are going to wrap it up this decade, according to the Fox Entertainment president. If all four new animated shows from Fox continue to succeed, then they'll have a solid lineup of Bob's Burgers and the new cartoons. Fox now loses money from Simpsons and Family Guy (they only make money on the advertisements now due to the Disney buyout of 21st and pay licensing fees and production costs), and the ratings aren't high enough, so they'll probably wrap them up eventually. I can see Family Guy being an FXX exclusive if they keep making new episodes but Simpsons, once Fox cancels it, it's done. The staff on Family Guy, minus Seth MacFarlane, still are passionate to make the show, while Simpsons staff just want it to end.

So I'm predicting the fall and spring schedules for next year as follows. Family Guy, Bob's Burgers, and Simpsons are all renewed up to 2020-21, at least.

Fall schedule prediction #1 (if Great North debuts in Fall)

7pm - NFL Football

7:30pm - Bob's Burgers/Bless the Harts

8pm - Simpsons

8:30pm - The Great North

9pm - Harts/Bob's

9:30pm - Family Guy

Fall schedule prediction #2 (if Great North debuts in Spring)

7pm - NFL Football

7:30pm - Fox encores or overrun on football

8pm - Simpsons

8:30pm - Bless the Harts

9pm - Bob's Burgers

Spring schedule prediction #1 (if Great North debuts in Spring 2021 and Housebroken does not)

7pm - Fox encores

7:30pm - Bob's/Harts

8pm - Simpsons

9pm - Bob's /Harts

Spring schedule prediction #2 (if both Great North and Housebroken debut in Spring which is unlikely for the latter now due to coronavirus)

7pm - Bob's Burgers

7:30pm - Bless the Harts

8pm - Simpsons

9pm - Housebroken

Spring schedule prediction #3 (if Great North debuts in Fall 2020 and Housebroken debuts in Spring 2021)

7pm - Fox encores

7:30pm - Bob's/Harts

8pm - Simpsons

8:30pm - Housebroken

9pm - Bob's /Harts

Pin Pal

The Great North sounds good. It maybe about a family but with a single father is something new that hasn't been done in an animated show before. It's fresh and it shows that not all families have a mother and a father. This is reality. I'm glad that Fox is taking a risk with Housebroken. Seeing a show that is not about a family is what we need more of. Also, seeing the world thru the eyes of animals is something new and should be woth watching.

9. Thumbs Up To This Post by: orangemo

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sideshow ken View Post
    The Great North sounds good. It maybe about a family but with a single father is something new that hasn't been done in an animated show before. It's fresh and it shows that not all families have a mother and a father. This is reality. I'm glad that Fox is taking a risk with Housebroken. Seeing a show that is not about a family is what we need more of. Also, seeing the world thru the eyes of animals is something new and should be woth watching.
    You could say Harts is similar to the Great North in the sense that Violet only lives with her mom, as Wayne doesn’t live with them.

Junior Camper

Fox has had a total of five shows in their Animation Domination line-up before (The Simpsons, Bob's Burgers, Family Guy, American Dad!, and The Cleveland Show), so assuming 'The Great North' and 'Housebroken' are going to be treated the same way 'Bless the Harts' and 'Duncanville' were this season (one airing 10 episodes in the Fall and the other 10 episodes in the Spring) then they have the space, but only if they delay 'Duncanville' season 2 by a year. It's likely the renewal was too close to the 2020-21 season too, so they wouldn't have had episodes ready to air in Fall 2020 anyway. The problem lies further down the line, as there's not enough room for 7 shows, so two will have to go eventually. Fox is unlikely to get rid of its three stalwarts, and seems to be placing its bets in 'Bless the Harts' and 'Duncanville', which is a shame, as 'The Great North' has promise considering a lot of the same people from 'Bob's Burgers' are working on it, and 'Housebroken' has a more interesting and original premise than any of the other new shows.

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by J.J.Watts View Post
    Fox has had a total of five shows in their Animation Domination line-up before (The Simpsons, Bob's Burgers, Family Guy, American Dad!, and The Cleveland Show), so assuming 'The Great North' and 'Housebroken' are going to be treated the same way 'Bless the Harts' and 'Duncanville' were this season (one airing 10 episodes in the Fall and the other 10 episodes in the Spring) then they have the space, but only if they delay 'Duncanville' season 2 by a year. It's likely the renewal was too close to the 2020-21 season too, so they wouldn't have had episodes ready to air in Fall 2020 anyway. The problem lies further down the line, as there's not enough room for 7 shows, so two will have to go eventually. Fox is unlikely to get rid of its three stalwarts, and seems to be placing its bets in 'Bless the Harts' and 'Duncanville', which is a shame, as 'The Great North' has promise considering a lot of the same people from 'Bob's Burgers' are working on it, and 'Housebroken' has a more interesting and original premise than any of the other new shows.
    Fox has been losing money on making new Simpsons episodes for years and even more now that they don’t own it. I’m sure they wouldn’t mind saying goodbye.

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

So Great North is debuting Spring 2021 as many have concluded. So the Fall schedule is still likely to be the same. Duncanville will return for 2021-22.

Fall
    8 - Simpsons - Season 32
    8:30 - Bless the Harts - Season 2
    9 - Bob’s Burgers - Season 11
    9:30 - Family Guy - Season 19

Spring prediction 1 (if Housebroken doesn’t make it)

7 - Encores
    7:30 - Bless the Harts (I hope it’s Bob’s Burgers because they can handle this terrible timeslot)
    8 - Simpsons
    8:30 - Great North
    9 - Bob’s Burgers

Prediction 2 (if Housebroken airs too)

7 - Bob’s Burgers
    7:30 - Bless the Harts
    8 - Simpsons
    8:30 - Great North
    9 - Housebroken
    The Central, King of Harts, Burger-loving, American family guy.

CROSSING SWORDS SEASON 1 * PILOT 0/5 * EPISODE 2 0.5/5 * EPISODE 3 0/5 * EPISODE 4 0/5 * EPISODE 5 0/5 * EPISODE 6 0.5/5 * EPISODE 7 1/5

FOX ANNOUNCES FALL 2020 SCHEDULE

SUNDAY (like in the past year)

7:00-7:30 PM NFL ON FOX
    7:30-8:00 PM THE OT / FOX ENCORES
    8:00-8:30 PM THE SIMPSONS (new season)
    8:30-9:00 PM BLESS THE HARTS (new season)
    9:00-9:30 PM BOB’S BURGERS (new season)
    9:30-10:00 PM FAMILY GUY (new season)
    @orangemo 's fall schedule prediction #2 was right.
    IMHO the best and the worst episodes of each season (in bold — the best and worst of overall series, upd. 24/04/20):
    1. Moaning Lisa/Homer’s Night Out 2. Bart vs. Thanksgiving/Simpson and Delilah 3. Mr. Lisa Goes to Washington/Homer Alone 4. Homer’s Triple Bypass/Marge in Chains 5. Secrets of a Successful Marriage/Bart’s Inner Child 6. Who Shot Mr. Burns? (Part I)/A Star Is Burns 7. Home Sweet Homediddly-Dum-Doodily/Treehouse of Horror VI 8. My Sister, My Sitter/The Simpsons Spin-Off Showcase 9. Miracle on Evergreen Terrace/Bart Star 10. Wild Barts Can’t Be Broken/Simpsons Bible Stories 11. Days of Wine and D’oh’ses/Pygmoelian 12. Homer vs. Dignity/New Kids on the Blecch 13. Poppa’s Got a Brand New Badge/Weekend at Burnsie’s 14. Moe Baby Blues/Helter Shelter 15. Fraudcast News/Co-Dependent’s Day 16. Goo Goo Gai Pan/A Star Is Torn 17. Bonfire of the Manatees/Kiss Kiss, Bang Bangalore 18. 24 Minutes/Stop, Or My Dog Will Shoot! 19. Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind/Husbands and Knives 20. Coming to Homerica/Four Great Women and a Manicure 21. The Squirt and the Whale/Treehouse of Horror XX 22. The Blue and the Gray/Elementary School Musical 23. A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again/Moe Goes from Rags to Riches 24. Hardly Kirk-ing/Gorgeous Grampa 25. Brick Like Me/What to Expect When Bart’s Expecting 26. Sky Police/Treehouse of Horror XXV 27. Halloween of Horror/Treehouse of Horror XXVI 28. 22 for 30/Havana Wild Weekend 29. Flanders’ Ladder/Springfield Splendor 30. Baby You Can’t Drive My Car/The Clown Stays in the Picture 31. TBA/TBA
    The Simpsons season ratings:
    2 > 1 > 3 > 7 > 6 > 4 > 8 > 5 > 9 > 27 > 21 > 20 > 25 > 17 > 29 > 12 > 15 > 10 > 26 > 24 > 13 > 18 > 14 > 19 > 28 > 16 > 30 > 23 > 11 > 22

I think that thoughts may differ, because so many people, so many opinions.

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The B View Post
    FOX ANNOUNCES FALL 2020 SCHEDULE

@orangemo 's fall schedule prediction #2 was right.
    I knew it because Duncanville wouldn't make it and then football would have delayed the Great North. I was more confident when Wendy Molyneux posted on Twitter that North wouldn't debut until Winter/Spring.

Btw do you watch all these shows or just Simpsons?

Quote Originally Posted by orangemo View Post
    Btw do you watch all these shows or just Simpsons?
    As for me personally, I like The Simpsons only. However, Bob's Burgers seems interesting and even… nice (I watched only some the very first episodes, though), and Family Guy is likely bad.

I almost always watch series in Ukrainian dub, so I am waiting for long time to new episodes. But if the time comes, I watched The Simpsons only.

17. Thumbs Up To This Post by: orangemo

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

I could see Fox opening up a second night of animation on Fridays and just cancel WWE Smackdown if they want all 7 of the shows to go at the same time.

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

Fox ordered another animated show today from Dan Harmon.

@orangemo You forgot the source
    FOX ENTERTAINMENT MAKES DIRECT ANIMATION DEAL WITH DAN HARMON
    TO CREATE ANIMATED COMEDY

Agreement Marks FOX Entertainment’s First Direct Animation Deal to
    Receive Series Commitment

FOX Entertainment and Emmy Award-winning creator Dan Harmon (“Rick and Morty,” “Community”) have entered a broadcast network-only exclusive direct animation deal, it was announced today by Michael Thorn, President of Entertainment, FOX Entertainment.

Marking FOX Entertainment’s first direct animation deal to receive a series commitment, as part of the agreement, Harmon will create and develop a comedy series targeted to premiere in the spring of 2022. FOX Entertainment will produce the series, with Bento Box Entertainment serving as the program’s animation studio.

“Before joining the network ranks, I was an independent producer who had the opportunity to work with Dan on one of my very first projects. His singular voice, tenor and conviction to always deliver the unexpected in the stories he tells, let me know right away that he was a special talent,” said Thorn. “As one of the most prolific creators working in the business today – and as FOX’s animation brand continues to grow and evolve, with the support and guidance of Charlie Collier – there’s no better creative partner to have than Dan Harmon.”

21. Thumbs Up To This Post by: orangemo

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

So, presumably, for the 2021-22 season, Fox has:
    The Simpsons
    Family Guy
    Bob's Burgers
    Bless the Harts
    Duncanville (confirmed)
    The Great North (confirmed)
    Housebroken
    and the Untitled Dan Harmon Project (announced for early 2022)

I say "presumably" because, among other possibilities, I wouldn't be surprised to see Family Guy move to TBS and get the "edgier" treatment that American Dad got.

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

So, presumably, for the 2021-22 season, Fox has:
    The Simpsons
    Family Guy
    Bob's Burgers
    Bless the Harts
    Duncanville (confirmed)
    The Great North (confirmed)
    Housebroken
    and the Untitled Dan Harmon Project (announced for early 2022)

I say "presumably" because, among other possibilities, I wouldn't be surprised to see Family Guy move to TBS and get the "edgier" treatment that American Dad got.
    Family Guy will get new episodes at FXX if anything because FXX will get the rights in 2021.

Also with comiccon panel Duncanville will be in Spring 2021, so Housebroken is likely to be heldover.

Comic-ConatHome: Disney TV Studios Sets Panel Slate With ‘Bob’s Burgers’, ‘Family Guy’, ‘Simpsons’, More
    Disney Television Studios has set its panel lineup for Comic-Con@Home, the virtual program for San Diego Comic-Con that runs from July 23-26. The panels include veteran animated Bob’s Burgers, Family Guy and The Simpsons as well as first looks for newcomers NeXt and Hoop.

BLESS THE HARTS (Produced by 20th Century Fox Television and Fox Entertainment) – Join the Harts, in quarantine of course, for a Paint & Sip! Watch Kristen Wiig (Jenny Hart), Maya Rudolph (Betty Hart), Ike Barinholtz (Wayne Edwards), Jillian Bell (Violet Hart) and Fortune Feimster (Brenda) with executive producers Phil Lord, Chris Miller and Andy Bobrow try to re-create Bless The Harts characters while chatting about their favorite moments from season one, what they’re looking forward to in season two on FOX this Fall and how they’ve kept busy during quarantine while drinking the show’s favorite drink – boxed wine!

BOB’S BURGERS (Produced by 20th Century Fox Television) – The Emmy Award-winning animated FOX series “Bob’s Burgers” invites fans into their homes for a virtual panel with all of the laughs and surprises they generally bring to the Indigo Ballroom. Creator and executive producer Loren Bouchard will break news about the upcoming season, and the always entertaining cast including H. Jon Benjamin, John Roberts, Kristen Schaal, Eugene Mirman, Dan Mintz and Larry Murphy will have you howling with laughter with never-before-seen footage, followed by a lively panel discussion and fan Q&A.

DUNCANVILLE (Produced by 20th Century Fox Television, Universal Television & Fox Entertainment) – Join executive producers Mike & Julie Scully, executive producer and star, Amy Poehler, along with stars Ty Burrell, Riki Lindhome, Joy Osmanski, Yassir Lester, Betsy Sodaro and guest stars Rashida Jones and Wiz Khalifa for an exclusive first look at the upcoming second season; returning next Spring on FOX.

FAMILY GUY (Produced by 20th Century Fox Television) – Join cast Seth MacFarlane, Alex Borstein, Mila Kunis, Seth Green and executive producers Rich Appel, Alec Sulkin and Kara Vallow from FOX’s hit animated comedy “Family Guy” as we celebrate 350 episodes with a virtual table read! After, we’ll take a look back at some of our favorite moments from the last 18 seasons, plus a special sneak peek at the hilarity and hi-jinx coming up in our 19th season premiering this fall on FOX!

THE SIMPSONS (Produced by 20th Century Fox Television) – They’ll never stop The Simpsons!…from appearing at Comic-Con; this time on zoom. Join Al Jean, Matt Selman, David Silverman, Carolyn Omine, Mike B. Anderson and moderator Yeardley Smith. Find out how the show has surmounted social distancing and turbulent times en route to season 32!

25. Thumbs Up To This Post by: orangemo

Thread Information