Thread: Most overrated and underrated season

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Most overrated and underrated season

I think by far the most overrated is season 10. Like half the season is season 11 level shit.

The most underrated is 16. Many see it as the start of Jean overstaying his welcome but i actually think it´s the last truly good season of the show.

Accurate and fun Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I don’t think many people think 10 is that good. For me, most overrated is 4, and most underrated is 9.
    Favorite and least favorite by season
    1. Life on the Fast Lane Homer’s Night Out 2. Bart Gets an F Dead Putting Society 3. Homer at the Bat Like Father, Like Clown 4. Brother From the Same Planet Krusty Gets Kancelled 5. Cape Feare Lady Bouvier’s Lover 6. Homer Badman Another Simpsons Clip Show 7. King-Size Homer Lisa the Iconoclast 8. Homer’s Enemy The Simpsons Spin-Off Showcase 9. Bart Carny The Trouble With Trillions 10. Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo Homer Simpson in: “Kidney Trouble” 11. Guess Who’s Coming to Criticize Dinner? Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder 12. HOMЯ Tennis the Menace 13. Tales From the Public Domain She of Little Faith 14. The Dad Who Knew Too Little Helter Shelter 15. I, (Annoyed Grunt)-bot Bart-Mangled Banner 16. A Star is Torn On a Clear Day I Can’t See My Sister 17. My Fair Laddy Bonfire of the Manatees 18. The Haw-Hawed Couple You Kent Always Say What You Want 19. Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind All About Lisa 20. Gone Maggie Gone The Good, the Sad and the Drugly 21. The Bob Next Door The Color Yellow 22. Donnie Fatso Love is a Many Strangled Thing 23. The Falcon and the D’ohman A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again 24. Hardly Kirk-ing Moonshine River 25. The War of Art What to Expect When Bart’s Expecting 26. Sky Police Let’s Go Fly a Coot 27. Halloween of Horror Lisa With an ‘S’ 28. There Will Be Buds Moho House 29. Springfield Splendor Throw Grampa From the Dane 30. Daddicus Finch I Want You (She’s So Heavy) 31. Thanksgiving of Horror Warrin’ Priests (Part Two)

Quote Originally Posted by Financial Panther View Post
    I don’t think many people think 10 is that good. For me, most overrated is 4, and most underrated is 9.
    Maybe not here but on a lot of other sites i see it cited as the last great season. Blech.

I do think 16 is the “beginning of the end”, but it is better than the seasons that come after it.

4 is clearly overrated but it is still very good; it’s just not my personal favorite season. I would say 8 is a bit underrated.
    Get woke, go broke

It's actually pretty hard to gauge the most underrated season, as their several worthy candidates you could advocate for (after Season 7). But for the purposes of trolling the OP, I'll say 12

As for the most overrated season, that surely has to be Season 11. There's plenty of people who treat this season like a masterpiece compared to 12-16, which I can only put down to the bias of not wanting to deem any season or half-season from the 90's, as mediocre. But the really scary part is when a lot of Season 11 defenders fail to state whether they believe this season belongs in the Golden Age or not

Quote Originally Posted by Snorky View Post
    It's actually pretty hard to gauge the most underrated season, as their several worthy candidates you could advocate for (after Season 7). But for the purposes of trolling the OP, I'll say 12

As for the most overrated season, that surely has to be Season 11. There's plenty of people who treat this season like a masterpiece compared to 12-16, which I can only put down to the bias of not wanting to deem any season or half-season from the 90's, as mediocre. But the really scary part is when a lot of Season 11 defenders fail to state whether they believe this season belongs in the Golden Age or not
    Funny thing is until the hd seasons rolled around season 11 was considered the worst season by most fans.

Season 11 is aight. Not part of the classic era and it has some stand-out bad ones that are worse than most of the bad episodes of the "early Jean" era, but I don't dislike it more than most of Seasons 13-17. Watching Season 14 on DVD recently made me realize a lot of it is kinda "eh" and I'd rather watch most of Season 11-12 any day. The thing I dislike most about the Scully era is those bad third acts--gets intolerable after a while.

people rate season 10 highly? I like the first half but the second half is something I've always disliked.. I don't think it's overrated. you might find someone who thinks it's the bees knees. I've read a few dissenting opinions on classic seasons but I think they are solid seasons. I've expressed my dislike of the first season but I don't think that it's such a unique opinion, I don't outright hate it but I'm more likely to rewatch something from season 12 than season 1. Speaking of season 12, there's a lot of great episodes in that one but I don't think it's underrated or overrated.

I always have a hard time coming up with something in these threads, I know that I disagree with some posters here, I've realised that when reviewing the latest episodes that some people really don't think like I do but they are usually the odd one out. I can't base my opinion on the outliers.

I've seen people consider season ten as part of the classic era. I don't agree with that at all, but it does have classic moments and some good episodes.

There are people who will argue that seasons 11-12 are classic seasons, which is going way over the line to me. I don't even know for sure if I consider season nine classic.

I think season two is a little underrated. It doesn't have the same reputation as seasons 3-4, but there are many great episodes in that season. I haven't seen anyone claim it as their favorite season, or the best season.

Blog Entries

Overrated: Probably season 9. I really find this to be a huge decline when compared to season 8, which also showed a rather small decline but was still good enough to be part of the golden era. It has so many bad episodes where Homer acts a lot less likeable than we knew him. They pretty much jumped the shark with ''The Principal and the Pauper''.

Underrated: I'd say season 3. Its my personal favorite season because it hit the right balance of funny, grounded and emotional episodes with some very good writing. Season 2 also did really well in that regard but 3 has more better episodes in my opinion. I'm npt even sure if it is considered underrated but I don't often see it listed as one of the best seasons, most people rather pick season 4-6.
    Episodes rated best and worst from each season:
    1: Krusty Gets Busted/Homer's Night Out 2: The Way We Was/Bart's Dog Gets an F 3: Colonel Homer/Dog of Death 4: Marge vs. The Monorail/So It's Come to This: A Simpsons Clip Show 5: Cape Feare/Bart Gets An Elephant 6: Treehouse of Horror V/Another Simpsons Clip Show 7: Mother Simpson/Homerpalooza 8: You Only Move Twice/The Canine Mutiny 9: Lisa's Sax/The Two Mrs. Nahasapeemapetilons 10: Lisa Gets an A/Sunday Cruddy Sunday 11: Behind The Laughter/Beyond Blunderdome 12: Trilogy of Error/The Computer Wore Menace Shoes 13: I Am Furious Yellow/Homer the Moe 14: The Dad Who Knew Too Little/Large Marge 15: The Way We Weren't/Diatribe of a Mad Housewife 16: Thank God Its Doomsday/Mommie Beerest 17: Marge's Son Poisoning/Bonfire of the Manatees 18: Marge Gamer/Revenge is Best Served Three Times 19: Treehouse of Horror XVIII/That 90's Show 20: Gone Maggie Gone/Coming To Homerica 21: O Brother, Where Bart thou?/The Devil Wears Nada 22: Homer Scissorhands/The Fool Monty 23: Holidays of Future Passed/Moe Goes From Rags To Riches 24: Adventures In Baby-Getting/Whiskey Business 25: Brick Like Me/White Christmas Blues 26: Bart's New Friend/The Musk Who Fell to Earth 27: Halloween of Horror/Every Man's Dream 28: There Will Be Buds/Moho House 29: Gone Boy/Throw Grampa from the Dane

Quote Originally Posted by zFamous View Post
    Care to elaborate about whether it is underrated or overrated?

I could understand overrated, as it's clearly not as good the Golden Age and arguably many seasons afterwards.

But it can't be underrated because the first seasons of lots of TV shows are often poor or average at best, and Season 1 gets an awful lot of praise. Plus, the fact it had a much shorter episode run than any season, so it had less opportunity of running out of steam and flat lining in the last few episodes, which makes it harder to praise over seasons with 20+ episodes of a high average standard

Blog Entries

I think season 7 is pretty overrated and I believe it has some great episodes, but there have been better episodes in the previous and even later seasons of the show and I think season18 is a pretty underrated season, because despite being long after the classic era ended, I think it has some great, entertaining episodes.

Joe Swanson ©tormented OldSchoolerSimpsons's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Most overrated: Season 15

It has some gems here and there, but when it's bad it's very bad. Even the duller episodes of season 13 didn't make me angry or anything, but there are a couple here which really piss me off. Unlike season 13 and 14 which I actually quite enjoy, I don't see what's so good about this one. The further into it you get, the worse it becomes. Co-Dependent's Day and Catch 'Em If You Can were the earliest episodes to make my bottom 25 list, and for good reason. The characters are at their annoying worst, which makes for an unpleasant viewing experience. The Way We Weren't marks the first flashback that got made because they ran out of ideas for them. Jean was known for reverting changes made in the Scully era, but why did he break Skinner and Edna up in My Big Fat Greek Wedding? It was introduced in the Oakley/Weinstein era, for Christ's sake. It would be one thing if it was done in a tasteful and realistic way, but Skinner comes off as such a pathetic moron in it. Ugh.
    While I don't hate it as much as the HD seasons (or 17 for that matter since it's so unforgivably dull) I still think this is where the show loses itself, only bouncing back once more with season 16.

Another shoutout: Season 20. Being the best HD season is nothing special if it's still mediocre at best. The SD portion is definitely superior.

Most underrated: Season 2

Why do I still see "Classic era is 3-8" so often? 2 is incredible. An excellent combination of heartfelt emotion, great humor and likable, interesting characters. I've teared up more in this season than any other of the whole show. Even the artstyle is really nice and cute. It's not quite as rough as season 1, but still has those charming off-model expressions, plus that scenes are staged more beautifully as well.

Another shoutout: Season 11. Yes the characterization starts becoming a little all over the place, but it gives me so many laughs I (well, for the most part at least) can look that aside.
    Quote Originally Posted by scully apologist;bt39949
    "KONY 2012"

Most underrated: Season 9. It's obviously not as good as what came before it, but it's still damn good television. I suspect that some people seem to conveiniently place it in the "bad" era of the show mostly because it was run by Mike Scully.

Most overrated: Season 10. Yes, the most overrated season follows directly after the most underrated season. Now, I'm fully aware that most people consider season 9 to be superior to season 10. However, I personally think that the difference in quality between these seasons is even greater than how most people seem to see it. Season 10, to me, is when the show stopped being good and became mediocre at best (then at season 11, it became downright bad).

I wholeheartedly agree with season 2 being the most underrated, It's incredible how many people don't include it into the Golden era instead choosing seasons 3-8.
    In fact I believe season 2 is better than 3 and it has to be one of the most consistent in the show's history.
    I would go as far as saying that if you don't like season 2 you don't like the Simpsons, at least not what we love about the Simpsons since season 2 has stories centered around the characters, good characterizations, great down to earth stories that will stand the test of time and remain relevant because they don't rely on parodying some later trend that could become obsolete but universal themes that everyone can identify and fall in love with even if not understanding the references, humour based around the characters personalities and not on gags, etc.
    Season 2 defined everything we love about the Simpsons and everything that would make them into the global phenomena it became.
    It's the complete opposite I would say of what makes modern Simpsons so bad.

Season 2 is criminally underrated. I don't understand why so many people exclude it from the golden era, but include season 9, even 10 (!)
    As far as overrated, but still very very good, season 4 or 6.
    Overrated seasons I never cared much for : 13-16. I remember some people saying they were the best since season 8.
    Last edited by Rover Hendrix; 04-24-2020 at 08:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover Hendrix View Post
    Season 2 is criminally underrated. I don't understand why so many people exclude it from the golden era, but include season 9, even 10 (!)
    As far as overrated, but still very very good, season 4 or 6.
    Overrated seasons I never cared much for : 13-16. I remember some people saying they were the best since season 8.
    Season 2 is a million times better than 9 or 10. Specially 10. I cannot understand how someone would place it above season 2. It's nuts.

19. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Kangdos

If I had to talk about overrated seasons then I would say that the early Jean era 13-16 is clearly overrated in this forum although not so much everywhere else.
    People in this forum talk as if they were a massive improvement from the Scully era when in fact they're only better than season 11 and maybe equal or just a tiny better than season 12, with seasons 9 and 10 still being much better than any Jean season.

21. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Kangdos

Accurate and fun Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kangdos View Post
    Most underrated: Season 9. It's obviously not as good as what came before it, but it's still damn good television. I suspect that some people seem to conveiniently place it in the "bad" era of the show mostly because it was run by Mike Scully.

Most overrated: Season 10. Yes, the most overrated season follows directly after the most underrated season. Now, I'm fully aware that most people consider season 9 to be superior to season 10. However, I personally think that the difference in quality between these seasons is even greater than how most people seem to see it. Season 10, to me, is when the show stopped being good and became mediocre at best (then at season 11, it became downright bad).
    I completely agree with this. 9 is an amazing season, and 10 is pretty bad. It’s easily the series’ biggest drop in quality in a single season.

23. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Kangdos

I too would say that season 10 is the most overrated. It still astounds me that so many fans rate it so highly and seem to overlook all the shoddy cartoonish writing here and there as well as the absurd amount of wacky Homer-centric misadventures (which does make it far less diverse than the other Scully seasons & maybe the least interesting in retrospect). While it has a lot of flaws and is disappointing even compared to season 9 it does have several good episodes (such as 'Treehouse Of Horror IX' and 'Lisa Gets An "A"')

The most underrated feels like season 3. It comes off as the most overlooked of the classic seasons to me, being wedged between 2 (which I still see much praise for) and the fan favorite 4. Maybe it's because the quality of the later classic seasons overshadow it (such as 4) and the more down to earth writing attitude of the prior season (2) makes that one stand out more, but either way it doesn't seem to get a lot of mentions or discussions compared to the other classic seasons, despite all its top notch episodes.

Thread Information