Thread: Rate & Review: "Better Off Ned" (ZABF11)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Chatting Simpsons Since '93 Brad Lascelle's Avatar

Rate & Review: "Better Off Ned" (ZABF11)

Season 31, Episode 16
    Original Airdate: March 15, 2020
    Writer & Showrunner: Al Jean
    Teleplay Written By: Joel H. Cohen & Jeff Westbrook
    Director: Rob Oliver
    Synopsis: Bart bonds with Ned Flanders, which leaves Homer jealous, so he retaliates by mentoring Nelson Muntz. Then, a heroic act by Homer makes Bart look up to him again.

Previous R&R
    Next R&R

INDUSTRY REVIEWS
    - The A.V. Club - Dennis Perkins - C-
    - Den of Geek - Tony Sokol - 3 / 5
    - Bubble Blabber - Jesse Bereta - 5 / 10
    - Puzzled Pagan Presents - Patrick Gaertner
    - The Game of Nerds - Michael Vargas
    - Me Blog Write Good - Mike Amato
    - Phil Payton {YouTube} - D+

SIMPSONS REDDIT DISCUSSION THREAD

TV VIEWERSHIP - 0.6 Rating in Adults 18-49 - 1.70 Million Viewers

R&R Poll Average Score: 2.05 / 5 (as of May 18th / 19 votes)

Users Who Have Voted & Their Score for the Episode
    AlphaOmega {1} / Bart's treehouse {5} / binary {3} / BloodySimpsonChibi {2} / Brad Lascelle {2} / CousinMerl {2} / Financial Panther {1} / Frankbags {2} / GlitterCat {1}
    John95 {3} / Kaine {2} / Nameless {2} / orangemo {3} / Ralphie Parker {1} / Shoskin {1} / sideshow ken {2} / Szyslak100 {1} / Venomrabbit {4} / Wile E. the Brain {1}

IMDB User Rating: 6.5 / 10 (as of May 17th / 223 users)
    Last edited by Brad Lascelle; 05-18-2020 at 06:02 PM.
    SEASON 31 RANKINGS
    The Winter of Our Monetized Content - 1.5/5 / Go Big or Go Homer - 2.5/5 / The Fat Blue Line - 3.5/5
    THOH XXX = Danger Things - 2.5/5 / Heaven Swipes Right - 1.5/5 / When Hairy Met Slimy - 2/5
    Gorillas on the Mast - 3.5/5 / Marge the Lumberjill - 2/5 / Livin' La Pura Vida - 5/5
    THANKSGIVING OF HORROR = A-Gobble-ypto - 3/5 / The Fourth Thursday After Tomorrow - 5/5 / The Last Thanksgiving - 3.5/5
    Todd, Todd, Why Hast Thou Forsaken Me? - 3.5/5 / Bobby, It's Cold Outside - 2.5/5 / Hail to the Teeth - 1.5/5
    The Miseducation of Lisa Simpson - 2/5 / Frinkcoin - 3/5 / Maggie Simpson In "Playdate with Destiny" - 4/5
    Bart the Bad Guy - 5/5 / Screenless - 2/5 / Better Off Ned - 2.5/5 / Highway to Well - 4/5
    The Incredible Lightness of Being a Baby - 2.5/5 / Warrin' Priests - 2/5 / The Hateful Eight-Year-Olds - 4.5/5 / The Way of the Dog - 5/5

2. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Szyslak100

Wants to be a sweetie pie Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This was not good. Not only was the setup just like Brother From the Same Planet, but the resolution was exactly the same. Homer’s characterization was as a big jerk throughout most of the episode, and I never liked seeing Nelson as the sad, emotionally troubled kid, which this episode had in spades, although I did feel bad for him in this. Although then he decided to try to kill Bart, and I did...not feel bad for him there. They also took the easy way out by just making Marge ignore the whole situation. They didn’t even give a reason; they just chucked her out of the picture. That’s lazy writing. Then Homer saves Bart from bloodthirsty Nelson trying to kill him, and everything is better. Unlikable characters and one of the most recycled plots yet make this a dud of an episode and the worst of the season. 1/5
    Favorite and least favorite by season
    1. Life on the Fast Lane Homer’s Night Out 2. Bart Gets an F Dead Putting Society 3. Homer at the Bat Like Father, Like Clown 4. Brother From the Same Planet Krusty Gets Kancelled 5. Cape Feare Lady Bouvier’s Lover 6. Homer Badman Another Simpsons Clip Show 7. King-Size Homer Lisa the Iconoclast 8. Homer’s Enemy The Simpsons Spin-Off Showcase 9. Bart Carny The Trouble With Trillions 10. Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo Homer Simpson in: “Kidney Trouble” 11. Guess Who’s Coming to Criticize Dinner? Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder 12. HOMЯ Tennis the Menace 13. Tales From the Public Domain She of Little Faith 14. The Dad Who Knew Too Little Helter Shelter 15. I, (Annoyed Grunt)-bot Bart-Mangled Banner 16. A Star is Torn On a Clear Day I Can’t See My Sister 17. My Fair Laddy Bonfire of the Manatees 18. The Haw-Hawed Couple You Kent Always Say What You Want 19. Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind All About Lisa 20. Gone Maggie Gone The Good, the Sad and the Drugly 21. The Bob Next Door The Color Yellow 22. Donnie Fatso Love is a Many Strangled Thing 23. The Falcon and the D’ohman A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again 24. Hardly Kirk-ing Moonshine River 25. The War of Art What to Expect When Bart’s Expecting 26. Sky Police Let’s Go Fly a Coot 27. Halloween of Horror Lisa With an ‘S’ 28. There Will Be Buds Moho House 29. Springfield Splendor Throw Grampa From the Dane 30. Daddicus Finch I Want You (She’s So Heavy) 31. Thanksgiving of Horror Warrin’ Priests (Part Two)

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Lascelle View Post

Season 31, Episode 16
    Original Airdate: March 15, 2019
    Writer: Al Jean
    Teleplay Written By: Joel H. Cohen & Jeff Westbrook
    Director: Rob Oliver
    Showrunner: Al Jean
    Synopsis: Bart bonds with Ned Flanders, which leaves Homer jealous, so he retaliates by mentoring Nelson Muntz. Then, a heroic act by Homer makes Bart look up to him again.

Previous R&R
    I accidentally made 2 “Great North” Discussion threads in offtopic can you remove one thank you?

It seems like I've already seen that episode.. I was disinterested for most of the episode but every once in a while I'd get hooked for a few seconds only to be let down again.

The ending, where nelson is using his slingshot to "assassinate" bart was interesting, it parodies a lot of political assassination movies but boy was it rushed.. homer gets "crushed" and it gets resolved instantly, I don't know if this is the worst example of pacing this year but it's a good example.

2/5

withered gas station rose Bart's treehouse's Avatar

I can’t believe this is the last Simpsons episode before Coronavirus kills us all. 5/5

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

Decent episode it had some funny gags but the story was kinda boring. 3/5

Blog Entries

While not exactly original, this one was enjoyable. As much as I miss grumpy-apethetic Nelson from the late-classic eps, it's also not like it was purely a point of cruel comedy.

Definitely liked the opening prank, it was extreme but not the usual sort where everyone gets hurt, plus it was great to see where it came from, and why Bart thought it would actually be funny. And it's a little bit in common he has with Abe too. Nobody got hurt, or was going to yet it still felt believable for something that went way too far. It's honestly not hard to buy that some other eps this season would have had him actually bring in a live one. Extreme but doesn't go into being too unlikeable, it's just that only he and Abe though it was funny.
    For the most part, it is mostly carried by the little gags like Ned's dog not eating but also uncrumpling Bart's homework or Milhouse running free from Nelson's locker only to be shoved into Dolph's right away or Quimby's response to Lenny yelling out at Burns. That and it was a nice twist having Mrs Muntz actually care for a change. Usually she's not absent in the same way as his dad but still barely a presence in Nelson's life and Homer going back to resolve things at the end was a nice touch. While the ending did come about a bit quickly, it wasn't like there was an outright fallout between Bart and Homer, and there were moments later on where he was starting to get tired of being around Flanders so much. So it doesn't feel too out there that they'd make up pretty quickly. That and compared to some other rushed endings it at least had some sort of foreshadowing... and didn't directly contradict stuff that happened. So don't really get why it's such a problem here. Mighta been nice to have a line by Bart about just wanting to get away from the Flanders' for a bit.

There's been a lot of Martin this season. Shame this time it was hanging out with Lisa. French Club was definitely the weakest gag of the episode, went on a bit long and was predictable.

As far as an overall recycled episode can go, there could be a lot worse ways to do it. Guess a 4, rounded down.
    Season 31 just sucked.

9. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Szyslak100

Very disappointing. Weak and derivative (borrowing both from episodes like 'Brother From The Same Planet' and the Movie as well), though it did still have its moments in placs. The plot wasn't anything we haven't really seen before, that with Bart pulling an pretty extreme prank at school and facing expellation before Ned steps in to be his mentor and set him straight & Homer soon feeling jelaous of how Ned has influenced Bart so positively and naturally has to get back at Bart and he does so by mentoring the lonely and troubled Nelson. Right off the bat I'll have to say there were some things that really didn't work and some of the writing choices were bad and it felt pretty poorly plotted and paced, with a lot of the more humorous moments coming off as really awkward and forced (also having some obvious padding), but some bits worked decently. One of the weakest episodes of the season and one of its worst, but there have been worse.

I must admit that it did have a pretty solid start, with Bart visiting Grampa and the latter pulling a prank with his old dud handgrenade (by pulling the pin and acting as if it was to go off) and Bart borrows it from him (while Grampa has fallen asleep), takes it to school and pulls the same pin-out prank on stage during an school assembly that Skinner holds due to the inactivity of the students, making it a brief fake bomb scare with the natural reactions & he then admits it was all a prank (while it was extreme and he went a little too far, it more or less felt like classic prankster Bart with none of that sociopath stuff). Ned ending up taking the boy under his wing when Chalmers threatens with expellation and we get Bart spending time helping out at the Flanders' house, going on an fishing trip with Ned (like in the Movie) & even participating in the church choir was some pretty good stuff with some nice bonding moments (also I liked seeing Bart in this situation; maybe not too comfortable but not really complaining either and certainly learning). This first act was probably the highlight of the episode for me, even though it was nothing amazingly good or so.

Ned getting thanked by the town for his work with Bart sending Homer in an fit of jelaousy and failing to prove he is as good father (by forcibly attempting and failing to help Bart with his math homework), coming across a sobbing Nelson while he's bitterly wandring around and deciding to get revenge on Bart by becoming Nelson's mentor was not something I wasn't a big fan of. It was less due to the unoriginal nature of the plot and more because of Homer becoming too much of a jerk, let alone it feeling forced and nonsensical; getting back at Bart made little sense as Bart had done nothing wrong and his spitefulness felt unfounded (bothering Ned instead would've made more sense). Marge ignoring the problem with Homer and his toxic behavior toward her son, in spite of Lisa telling her to step up and do something about it, turning aside and making up a random excuse to not get involved was awful. I guess I sorta liked the scene with Homer visiting Nelson to assist him & Lisa forcing her father to visit a psychiatrist to admit what he's doing I liked, but I just couldn't really get over Homer being an petty asshole & Marge not caring one bit.

Nelson's involvement getting set up with an joke scene after the bomb scare was a nice choice, his interactions with Homer weren't too bad (and I never really minded his sad side so much) & I liked Mrs. Muntz taking charge and forcing Homer to admit the truth about his mentorship to Nelson. It seemed to go in an decent direction until Nelson ran off to kill Bart at the Christian Pride parade (which Bart is attending with the Flanders' family), by slingshotting a rock onto the button to make these giant papier mache hands slap their palms together on Bart. What? This felt so sudden and randomly forced (Nelson going that far felt too much), though the political assassination movie spoof was fine. Naturally Homer gets there in time, pushes Bart aside and ends up getting crushed & Bart gets to ride along in the ambulance, now with their relationship good again; this was rushed but I've seen worse on the show and I liked Bart's demeanor towards his dad. Then the episode added two extra scenes with a wrap-up of Ned becoming Nelson's new mentor (it would've been good if both the Ned/Bart and Homer/Nelson plots got to conclude properly).

The episode didn't have a lot of good humor, with a lot of the supposed humorous scenes feeling awkwardly staged (such as Grampa's cartoonish reaction to his new meds, Lisa's French class, Nelson's runny nose, Homer doing motorcycle sounds while biking & Nelson's sketchbook). The way they were presented felt really off and bizarre. There were still some nice gags, like the locker joke with Milhouse and Homer trying to feed the dog the math homework when he cannot figure it out but the dog puts the sheet back onto the table and uncrumples it. The characterizations were a mized bag, with Bart and Lisa being well portrayed & Homer and Marge (being an manipulative and petty jerkass & turning a blind eye and refusing to get involved, respectively) being pretty bad, maybe especially the latter (that scene reeked of character derailment). Ned was awkwardly portrayed but not too terrible (though moments like him snapping at Bart with an death threat and angrily yelling at his boys to not clean up at the dump were bad and I didn't like Nelson's murderous portayal but he was mostly okay.

Bottom line, it for sure wasn't very good. Even with those already low expectations it just really fell short and became one of the weakest episodes of the seasons in my opinion. The plot was constructed almost purely out of reused elements, the pacing was bad, the humor weak, it had a lot of those awkward bits, some definite filler/padding (and yet the episode had to include a few more scenes, even lampshading it with a comment) & the bad characterizations of Homer and the almost non-existent Marge brought it down, but the stuff with Bart was nice (and I did enjoy his scenes with Ned, Rod & Todd) and the Nelson & Mrs. Muntz moments were decent (even though it went off the rails with Nelson getting murderous in the end). Even though it was an unoriginal and awkward mess with a lot of problems most of the time it didn't quite hit bottom of the barrel to me so not an episode I'd say is complete garbage (and I'd easily take this one over 'Hail To The Teeth').

2/5 rounded up from 1.5/5. It had too many things going against it for me, mostly that mean-spirited tone of the Homer subplot and bad characterizations, though the unoriginality, the awkwardness of the humor, the overtly cartoonish moments the pacing & the filler did their job too. It was kind of a mess. Still, it had some decent moments so not a total waste.
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 05-18-2020 at 05:33 AM.

11. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Szyslak100

Hmm, surprisingly mixed reception on this one so far from the looks of it. I didn't think it was great either, but much like last week's along it was serviceably harmless which as I also said last week is the most I can hope for from the show these days when it doesn't surprise me with something like Marge the Lumberjill or Bart the Bad Guy.

3/5
    Family Guy Season 18 Ratings - Yacht Rocky: 1.5/5 Bri-Da: 2.5/5 Absolutely Babulous: 1.5/5 Disney's The Reboot: 1.5/5 Cat Fight: 1.5/5 Peter & Lois' Wedding: .5/5 Heart Burn: 1.5/5 Shanksgiving: .5/5 Christmas is Coming: 2/5 Connie's Celica: 0/5 Short Cuts: 2/5 Undergrounded: 1.5/5 Rich Old Stewie: 3.5/5 The Movement: .5/5 Baby Stewie: 0/5 Start Me Up: 1/5 Coma Guy: 1/5 Better Off Meg: .5/5 Holy Bibble: 0/5 Movin' In (Principal Shepherd's Song): 0/5
    American Dad! Season 16 Ratings - 100 Years a Solid Fool: 0/5 A Starboy is Born: 1/5 Tapped Out: 0/5 Brave N00b World: 0/5 Into the Woods: 0/5 One Fish, Two Fish: 1.5/5 Exquisite Corpses: 2/5 Trophy Wife, Trophy Life: 1.5/5 Game Night: 2/5 American Data?: 0/5 Salute Your Sllort: 0/5 Ghost Dad: TBD Men II Boyz: TBD First, Do No Farm: TBD Roger Needs Dick: 0/5

Blog Entries

Very average episode. The plot felt very similiar to ''Brother From the Same Planet'' and the Bart/Ned relationship mostly borrows from Bart's plot from the Simpsons Movie. Nelson being taken care or rather mentored by another Simpson parent was also done earlier by Marge, who rather wanted to be more of a parent to Nelson. Very little originality to be found but I liked a lot of the jokes.

I liked the opening with Lisa replacing Bart doing the chalkboard gag and Bart visiting grampa who pranks him with a disarmed grenade. Having Bart throw the grenade at school brought some funny gags with Kirk acting as a mascot and Millhouse crowling in his pants, and Hoover wanting the school to be blown up so badly. I liked how they portrayed the aftermath with the school feeling so relieved and that they set up the Nelson being sad plot so early on. The Bart/Ned plot starts where his religious phone app and Lisa's French group insulting Bart in French were decent jokes. Apparently Ned got rather dark where he wanted to show Bart real blood after the ketchup prank, Bart reacts confused and we don't see more of why Ned reacted like this. Instead we got a fishing scene very similiar to the one from the Simpsons Movie, but it extends where we see Bart making a fire by himself which he is proud of. Bart ends up being a better person where the Homer plot kicks off instead. One of the better jokes is how Homer tried to have Ned's dog eat Bart's homework.

Homer's act starts off well with his conversation with Bumblebee Man who surprisingly acts wise. The sad Nelson parts though.... that was just pure cringe. Nelson overplayed his sad part and it was really hard to watch that snot joke. The maze gag was pretty funny at least. Some of the Homer/Nelson scenes are decent where he doesn't seem to be mentoring Nelson anything, he just wants to get back at Bart. Marge doesn't seem to do anything and Lisa wanted to give Homer her 40 dollars to seek therapy, which is actually just really sad. Nelson apparently thinks he's about to be abandoned by yet another dad despite that Homer is not dating his mom. The parade was an alright conclusion where we end up seeing Ned help Nelson instead, and Bart ends up back with Homer who just have fun. I wouldn't be surprised if this could lead up to the Muntz family joining the Flanders, but this is probably just a one time thing that is forgotten in the next episode.

This will end up as a rather forgettable episode because of its unoriginal plot and not doing anything to stand out. They made Nelson seem more sad than ever before while this could've not been the case. In the past we just saw Nelson doing pathetic things like stealing coins from a fountain which looked sad in our eyes, but Nelson wouldn't see it that way. He didn't have much chemistry with Homer either and he just went along with his antics towards Bart, there wasn't a real parentry involvement either. Then the Bart/Ned relationship was already done so there's not much to say other than not having Ned explain why he got so mad during the ketchup prank. I'd say the jokes were for most part pretty good which this episodes scores the most with. I like how they integraded Lisa in the plot aswell where she even admits that she is the voice of reason. They didn't do much with Marge and had their way of getting her out of the plot by giving her an excuse to chance Maggie's diapers. If I'm generous this episode is about a 2.5/5, but I'll have to round it down because its just not good to be rounded up.

2/5
    Episodes rated best and worst from each season:
    1: Krusty Gets Busted/Homer's Night Out 2: The Way We Was/Bart's Dog Gets an F 3: Colonel Homer/Dog of Death 4: Marge vs. The Monorail/So It's Come to This: A Simpsons Clip Show 5: Cape Feare/Bart Gets An Elephant 6: Treehouse of Horror V/Another Simpsons Clip Show 7: Mother Simpson/Homerpalooza 8: You Only Move Twice/The Canine Mutiny 9: Lisa's Sax/The Two Mrs. Nahasapeemapetilons 10: Lisa Gets an A/Sunday Cruddy Sunday 11: Behind The Laughter/Beyond Blunderdome 12: Trilogy of Error/The Computer Wore Menace Shoes 13: I Am Furious Yellow/Homer the Moe 14: The Dad Who Knew Too Little/Large Marge 15: The Way We Weren't/Diatribe of a Mad Housewife 16: Thank God Its Doomsday/Mommie Beerest 17: Marge's Son Poisoning/Bonfire of the Manatees 18: Marge Gamer/Revenge is Best Served Three Times 19: Treehouse of Horror XVIII/That 90's Show 20: Gone Maggie Gone/Coming To Homerica 21: O Brother, Where Bart thou?/The Devil Wears Nada 22: Homer Scissorhands/The Fool Monty 23: Holidays of Future Passed/Moe Goes From Rags To Riches 24: Adventures In Baby-Getting/Whiskey Business 25: Brick Like Me/White Christmas Blues 26: Bart's New Friend/The Musk Who Fell to Earth 27: Halloween of Horror/Every Man's Dream 28: There Will Be Buds/Moho House 29: Gone Boy/Throw Grampa from the Dane

15. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Szyslak100

After stuff like frinkcoin & the miseducation of lisa simpson which I found super boring I needed a simple episode like this, actually pretty funny with a decent story, I liked it. 6/10

will gut you like a fish BloodySimpsonChibi's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Homer was a jackass and they repeated a joke from the much better Sleeping with the Enemy. 4/10
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaine View Post
    I'd imagine patting Lisa on the head would sting, damn kids with their spiky heads.

This one stunk. How can I buy Flanders as a super dad when he coldly shut out Todd for having a crisis of faith over his mother's death. Nelson was too pathetic here and the snot gag was gross. What I'm really upset about is how much they wimpified Skinner. He served in Nam, he wouldn't pee himself at the sight of a supposedly live grenade, he'd jump on it, but no we need all 'cool' moments to belong to Ned. About the only thing I like was the dog not eating the paper. 1/5

Quote Originally Posted by GlitterCat View Post
    What I'm really upset about is how much they wimpified Skinner. He served in Nam, he wouldn't pee himself at the sight of a supposedly live grenade, he'd jump on it, but no we need all 'cool' moments to belong to Ned.
    Skinner has suffered from this mischaracterization ever since he was joined at the hip with Superintendant Chalmers which was many years ago.
    SEASON 31 GRADES

The Winter of Our Monetized Content - 3/5 / Go Big or Go Homer - 2.5/5 / The Fat Blue Line - 3/5
    Treehouse of Horror XXX - 2/5 / Gorillas on the Mast - 2.5/5 / Marge the Lumberjill - 2/5
    Livin' La Pura Vida - 4.5/5 / Thanksgiving of Horror - 5/5 / Todd, Todd, Why Hast Thou Forsaken Me? - 3.5/5
    Bobby, It's Cold Outside - 2.5/5 / Hail to the Teeth - 2/5 / The Miseducation of Lisa Simpson - 3.5/5
    Frinkcoin - 3/5 / Bart the Bad Guy - 4.5/5 / Screenless - 4/5 / Better Off Ned - 1.5/5
    Highway to Well - 3.5/5 / The Incredible Lightness of Being a Baby - 3/5 / Warrin' Priests (Part 1) - 2.5/5
    Warrin' Priests (Part 2) - 2/5 / The Hateful Eight-Year-Olds - 4/5
    / Way of the Dog - 4.5/5

No to cooties and sisters. Shoskin's Avatar

What a dull episode. Plus this premise with "Brother From the Same Planet" and "Sleeping with the Enemy."

Low marks for no originality and repetitiveness. On another note, Disney and FXX are show every epsiode of The Simpsons EVER and I suggest every writer watch every episode from the beginning so they don't repeat episodes like this one.

1/5

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

Seems like everyone thinks this is the worst Simpsons episode of the season?

I have an absurd but possible (?) theory about this episode: it was written by a bot. With the function of creating an episode and the following resources: Brother from the Same Planet, Dad Behavior, any of the most recent episodes written by Westbrook, Sleeping with the Enemy, The Simpsons Movie, and maybe the recent Todd, Todd, Why Hast Thou Forsaken Me? What was the result? Let's see...

Seriously, I would rather they had accredited it to a hot instead of two professional writers of the staff.

The inspiration from Brother from the Same Planet is completely obvious. I'm being generous with the word "inspiration". It is more accurate to say that it was –another– cheap copy to that average episode of season 4. It is exactly the same emotional-conflict with the same protagonists. Bart finds out a better father-figure than Homer, and then Homer searches for a replacement of his son trying to make better the life of a random-necessitated kid. The only difference is in the use of two members of the show's repertoire as Ned and Nelson instead of two one-time characters. Also, if I never was a fan of Brother from the Same Planet is because I always thought Homer and Bart have several moments out-of-character (and some other reasons but that not belong to this review). Well, there is another likeness between both episodes because this one is plenty of examples of characters acting out of their personality. Ned Flanders being aggressive, believing he is superior to every else, threatening a kid. I hate the crazy-religious Ned because it ruins the character, but it at least has a relation with the established. This Ned is awful: hypocrite, arrogant, false. Agh. Homer was a jerk throughout the entire episode. In insane levels. Selfish, insensitive, and excessively stupid. And Marge... What to say about Marge? You know, I don't have any problem when a determined character is missed out to the benefit of the story, even if they can give another perspective to the story. But why should the writers emphasize on it? She doesn't care about the difficult relationship between her husband and her son. Instead, he digs into an excuse to avoid the problem. Seriously: what kind of Marge is that?

Poor Flanders. He was a fantastic character before Maude dead. I miss the real him.

The influence of Dad Behavior is in the disappointing execution of the premise, the rushed resolution, the forced dynamics between the partners, the shortage of emotions. Everything that episode did wrong, Better Off Ned did wrong as well. The execution was predictable. You know that I don't complain when there is a deja vú in a modern Simpson because I understand that the show is 31 years old. But it was absolutely the same thing that we've seen twice. Especially when you analyze Homer's attitudes and his wrong teachings to Bart's substitute. The resolution was the same that in Brothers/Behavior. Alternative Bart's father is paired up with alternative Homer's son, but this time it doesn't feel right because I don't think Nelson and Ned can work together. Nothing from Homer/Nelson union was interesting at all. Everything in this episode was artificial, perfunctory. No one character acted as is expected and that omission was not worthy of a catching story. At least, I liked how the episode started. The beginning was solid. Bart and Abe hanging out together is something nice to see. They can share a special time if there is no hate between them. I love it when Grampa is appreciated and I also love it when he shows up his facet of joker and generates respect showing his experience. Then, Bart copies the joke of the grenade at the school. I liked that Ned was disposed to sacrifice himself for the benefit of others. Then, we have a necessary callback to Sweet Seymour Skinner's Badaassss Song when Ned prays in a public school, although it was exaggeratedly extended and that's all.

I guess nobody could foresee this plot-twist.

The impact of Jeff Westbrook is clear. I know that the writing of an episode is the work of the entire staff. But I can not explain why only Westbrook's scripts are plenty of... Stupid jokes. I was looking for the correct adjective but I could not find it. I am talking about those that are repulsive, nonsensical. Those that let me with the impression that I am not watching The Simpsons. It is a cartoonish style that let me a disgusting taste. I really can't believe if anyone laughs with these sorts of gags, and I can't believe if anyone in the staff believes people like them. Let me bring some examples in: Abe takes a lot of pills, his neck turns out completely and, from his ears, he throws off fire; Milhouse hid in his father's ass; a random guy falls down from a precipice; Nelson dropping his snot, from his nose and from his ears... What's the point with that visual-uncomfortable kind of gags? I watch this show to laugh and to be delighted with a story, not to feel disgusted! I accept a bit of cringeworthy in Treehouse of Horror, but not in a normal episode. There were only three moments that made me laugh here: Homer trying to destroy Bart's homework although Ned's dog opposes to it, Homer and Nelson making motorcycle noises and then Nelson tightening all the buttons of the lift to use the ladder. The rest was mediocre. Sometimes it was tedious, even annoying. Do you know what that means? There were more unfunny moments than funny ones. If you've read me throughout the years in the forum, you'd know I don't care about jokes, but if the episode has them, then they must be effective. I always have the same sensation with every Westbrook's episode. The one that let me an expression of "what the fuck am I watching?"

????????

In the characterization of Nelson occurs my comparison with Sleeping with the Enemy. All we know Nelson is a rough bully with an almost-absent mother and a totally absent father. That season 16's episode explored another perspective of the character, more sincere, more emotive, but never forgetting his established way of being. It was wonderful as an experiment. But it was not a definitive change, or at least it would not be. This guy is not sensible. He expresses his necessities through taunting to every else. And when we see him from another perspective, they must be careful with the treatment he receives. Nelson never can be vulnerable or depressive. And, if he is, he must come back stronger at the end. I never enjoy the appearance of Mrs. Muntz and it was not the exception. Her function is just being a prostitute and that doesn't work for the show. Then, the bot replicated the dynamic between Ned and Bart from The Simpsons Movie, but wrongly, once again. That time it was truly fantastic, emphasizing the contrast between Homer and Ned and proving how difficult but agreeable is the father/son relationship between Homer and Bart. This time, meh. It was everything carelessly. Ned is a jerk, Bart is a jerk, Homer is a jerk. They act like robots, I don't feel anything about anyone. Finally, the likeness with Todd, Todd, Why Hast Thou Forsaken Me? Christianity in the show. Some satirical comments about the religion that does not go beyond that: comments. The Christian Pride Parade was a potential great scenario to exploit it but there is nothing remarkable. And it is hard to believe Bart assists in it, even if his relationship with Bart was tight. Another out-of-character moment to the collection.

The most effective place of Nelson is along Jimbo, Dolph and Kearney. Stop downgrading him.

Better Off Ned is one of those episodes that let me totally unsatisfied. One of those when I can not find anything special, anything enjoyable, but instead it has something that really annoyed me. So far, it is my least favorite of the season. I don't have as clear the line between the 1/5s and the 2/5s as I have the one between 3/5, 4/5 and 5/5. So, I am not what rating it deserves. I feel bad for the poor bot who wrote it but I am going with a...

1/5
    Last retrospective: Homer Defined (S03E05)

My project of rating and reviewing every episode of Rick and Morty (completed!)

My project of rating and reviewing every episode of BoJack Horseman (last episode: Later)

Pin Pal

Not only was everybody was out of character but so unlikeable. Turning these characters into what they aren't ruins the show. 1.5.

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

For anyone who wanted to see Phil's review, here it is. He gave it a D+. Most likely his worst of the season.

Note: Phil is now combining all the Fox cartoon reviews into one video.

Have Brain, Will Travel Wile E. the Brain's Avatar

That wasn't a good episode indeed. Brother from the Same Planet is even better than this one and that's a bummer since I don't like Brother from the Same Planet. I don't really mind the fact this episode is very reminescent of the aforementioned one, in what is a sort of a blend between this one and Sleeping with the Enemy with some bits of the movie sprinkled in, but the fact is, this episode is poorly written, lackluster, unfocused, boring and relies too much on stupid humor.

Besides the dumb joke of Abe taking his pills which I can't believe someone with a brain believed that it would be a funny joke when he wrote it, the beginning was... okay. Truth be told, Abe pranking Bart with a false grenade has got some charm (same goes to see them spending time together, I think they have a good chemistry) and I can buy Bart would eventually try the same prank, it's a cruel prank but it's not hurting anyone and I also can buy that he wouldn't think of how a prank like this can be less funny than traumatising. Though, I heavily disliked Skinner wetting his pants in front of the grenade while he's a veteran (yeah yeah, I know, Tamzarian and cie, but he still is a war veteran regardless), I have the feeling that Skinner is only meant to be humiliated these last seasons. The humor already fell flat (Milhouse in his father's ass, once again I do not know how someone can find this funny but that's my silly personal opinion) but story-wise, it was alright.

But the more the episode goes on, the more it falls into the bad episode category. What mostly bugged me was how they handled the characters. It's not like that all the time but for the most part, they felt... off. Like Flanders randomly threatening Bart which really disturbed me. I like when they show such seemingly perfect characters not being that perfect, but that was completely unnecessary. Though I didn't mind when he threatened Chalmers, he already did something like that in The Monkey Suit and the fact he wants to impose his beliefs to everyone isn't anything new (even if myself I never was a fan of the crazy-religious Ned either, that can makes him really unlikeable at times). Some moments could've been nice if they didn't ruin them with stupid jokes like those two guys falling from a cliff. And it's like that basically all the time, scenes that could've been nice but ruined in one way or another. Whether it's because of stupid jokes, pointless moments (Lisa and her gang mocking Bart in french, what the hell ?!), mean-spirited moments or out-of-characters reactions.

When it comes to Homer, well I do like how he tries to save his son at the end at his expense but we have to wait these scenes to see a good Homer. The rest of the episode shows the character on an unsympathethic way. I don't mind the fact he mostly wants to help Nelson at first only to make Bart jealous (that was one of the funniest moments from Brother from the Same Planet) but his relationship with Nelson is just that : Homer trying to make Bart jealous. There's nothing worth the waste of time, while at least, in the aforementioned episode, Homer does feel like he cares for his "little brother" the more they spend time together, and he still felt heartbroke because of his son, here there's virtually nothing. And also, there's Marge... Pff... Frankly, what can I add about her that you guys haven't said yet. Well, let's just say that : the way they tried to justify her lack of concern here is a bigger slap in the face than if she didn't appear in the episode at all. Also, I don't get the point of the scene with the therapist.

And let's not forget Nelson. Again, I just don't get the point. I guess I'm supposed to sympathize with him because he's sad and basically alone, why not, but how am I supposed to sympathize with him when he tries to downright MURDER Bart towards the end ? (And also for the fact he locked Milhouse in a fridge for that matter ?) Well, I said that countless times and I will say it again : I don't get the point of that episode. Especially when it ends in the exact same way Brother from the Same Planet did (Homer getting injured and alternative Bart's relative bonding with alternative Homer's relative). At the end I had the mighty feeling that my time was wasted. I could talk about some other problems like the terrible pacing but at this point, I guess it's not the most important thing.

If I had to say one positive thing, well, I do like how Nelson's mother is a bit more important here and how she figures out the situation between Homer and Nelson (though I guess she cares about him when she says that but she doesn't do anything more than that), also the only joke that made me laugh (among all of these terrible, cartoonish, stupid, modern Westbrook style jokes) really made me laugh, with Homer saying that he's teaching Nelson breaking into the music industry while he stoles the money from the jukebox, which is a really clever joke. Also, it's basically nothing but I liked hering the original ending theme during the end credits, I believe it was a while and I do miss it. But in the end, I wonder which episode I think is the worst of the season so far between this one and Hail to the Teeth. But whatever which one is the worst, the other one doesn't become any less bad. 1/5 rounded down from a 1.5/5.

Last but not least : stop wasting Rob Oliver's animation director talent with so many mediocre, clumsy or forgettable episodes.
    It ate EVERYBODY, stupid !

The Winter of Our Monetized Content - 2/5 / Go Big or Go Homer - 2/5 / The Fat Blue Line - 3.5/5 / Treehouse of Horror XXX - 2.5/5 / Gorillas on the Mast - 3.5/5 / Marge the Lumberjill - 2/5 / Livin' la Pura Vida - 4/5 / Thanksgiving of Horror - 4/5 / Todd, Todd, Why Hast Thou Forsaken Me - 2.5/5 / Bobby, it's Cold Outside - 2.5/5 / Hail to the Teeth - 1.5/5 / The Miseducation of Lisa Simpson - 3.5/5 / Frinkcoin - 2/5 / Bart the Bad Guy - 4/5 / Screenless - 3.5/5 / Better Off Ned - 1.5/5 / Highway to Well - 3/5 / The Incredible Lightness of Being a Baby - 2/5 / Warrin' Priests: Part One - 3/5 / Warrin' Priests: Part Two - 2.5/5 / The Hateful Eight-Year-Olds - 3.5/5 / Way of the Dog - TBA

Mom, Bart's Smoking!

Quote Originally Posted by Wile E. the Brain View Post
    That wasn't a good episode indeed. Brother from the Same Planet is even better than this one and that's a bummer since I don't like Brother from the Same Planet. I don't really mind the fact this episode is very reminescent of the aforementioned one, in what is a sort of a blend between this one and Sleeping with the Enemy with some bits of the movie sprinkled in, but the fact is, this episode is poorly written, lackluster, unfocused, boring and relies too much on stupid humor.

Besides the dumb joke of Abe taking his pills which I can't believe someone with a brain believed that it would be a funny joke when he wrote it, the beginning was... okay. Truth be told, Abe pranking Bart with a false grenade has got some charm (same goes to see them spending time together, I think they have a good chemistry) and I can buy Bart would eventually try the same prank, it's a cruel prank but it's not hurting anyone and I also can buy that he wouldn't think of how a prank like this can be less funny than traumatising. Though, I heavily disliked Skinner wetting his pants in front of the grenade while he's a veteran (yeah yeah, I know, Tamzarian and cie, but he still is a war veteran regardless), I have the feeling that Skinner is only meant to be humiliated these last seasons. The humor already fell flat (Milhouse in his father's ass, once again I do not know how someone can find this funny but that's my silly personal opinion) but story-wise, it was alright.

But the more the episode goes on, the more it falls into the bad episode category. What mostly bugged me was how they handled the characters. It's not like that all the time but for the most part, they felt... off. Like Flanders randomly threatening Bart which really disturbed me. I like when they show such seemingly perfect characters not being that perfect, but that was completely unnecessary. Though I didn't mind when he threatened Chalmers, he already did something like that in The Monkey Suit and the fact he wants to impose his beliefs to everyone isn't anything new (even if myself I never was a fan of the crazy-religious Ned either, that can makes him really unlikeable at times). Some moments could've been nice if they didn't ruin them with stupid jokes like those two guys falling from a cliff. And it's like that basically all the time, scenes that could've been nice but ruined in one way or another. Whether it's because of stupid jokes, pointless moments (Lisa and her gang mocking Bart in french, what the hell ?!), mean-spirited moments or out-of-characters reactions.

When it comes to Homer, well I do like how he tries to save his son at the end at his expense but we have to wait these scenes to see a good Homer. The rest of the episode shows the character on an unsympathethic way. I don't mind the fact he mostly wants to help Nelson at first only to make Bart jealous (that was one of the funniest moments from Brother from the Same Planet) but his relationship with Nelson is just that : Homer trying to make Bart jealous. There's nothing worth the waste of time, while at least, in the aforementioned episode, Homer does feel like he cares for his "little brother" the more they spend time together, and he still felt heartbroke because of his son, here there's virtually nothing. And also, there's Marge... Pff... Frankly, what can I add about her that you guys haven't said yet. Well, let's just say that : the way they tried to justify her lack of concern here is a bigger slap in the face than if she didn't appear in the episode at all. Also, I don't get the point of the scene with the therapist.

And let's not forget Nelson. Again, I just don't get the point. I guess I'm supposed to sympathize with him because he's sad and basically alone, why not, but how am I supposed to sympathize with him when he tries to downright MURDER Bart towards the end ? (And also for the fact he locked Milhouse in a fridge for that matter ?) Well, I said that countless times and I will say it again : I don't get the point of that episode. Especially when it ends in the exact same way Brother from the Same Planet did (Homer getting injured and alternative Bart's relative bonding with alternative Homer's relative). At the end I had the mighty feeling that my time was wasted. I could talk about some other problems like the terrible pacing but at this point, I guess it's not the most important thing.

If I had to say one positive thing, well, I do like how Nelson's mother is a bit more important here and how she figures out the situation between Homer and Nelson (though I guess she cares about him when she says that but she doesn't do anything more than that), also the only joke that made me laugh (among all of these terrible, cartoonish, stupid, modern Westbrook style jokes) really made me laugh, with Homer saying that he's teaching Nelson breaking into the music industry while he stoles the money from the jukebox, which is a really clever joke. Also, it's basically nothing but I liked hering the original ending theme during the end credits, I believe it was a while and I do miss it. But in the end, I wonder which episode I think is the worst of the season so far between this one and Hail to the Teeth. But whatever which one is the worst, the other one doesn't become any less bad. 1/5 rounded down from a 1.5/5.

Last but not least : stop wasting Rob Oliver's animation director talent with so many mediocre, clumsy or forgettable episodes.
    I completely agree with this. Throw the movie, Sleeping with the Enemy, and Brother from The Same Planet in the toilet and you get this episode . Worst of the season so far. 1/5 D

Oh cool, I've seen "Brother From the Same Planet", "Sleeping with the Enemy" and The Simpsons Movie too

C- (2/5 ​for the poll)
    Season 31 Ratings
    The Winter of Our Monetized Content C+ Go Big or Go Homer ​C- The Fat Blue Line ​C+ Treehouse of Horror XXX ​C- Gorillas on the Mast ​B Marge the Lumberjill C- Livin La Pura Vida ​B- Thanksgiving of Horror ​B Todd, Todd, Why Hast Thou Forsaken Me? ​C Bobby It's Cold Outside ​B- Hail to the Teeth ​D- The Miseducation of Lisa Simpson ​B+ Frinkcoin D+ Bart the Bad Guy ​B+ Screenless ​B Better Off Ned ​C- Highway to Well ​C The Incredible Lightness of Being a Baby ​C+ Warrin' Priests ​C- The Hateful Eight-Year-Olds ​B

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

So my turn to grade it. I liked some parts, the beginning was a bit promising. Ultimately it wasn’t really funny or anything although seeing Nelson and Homer eating at the cafe was nice. Animation as always is solid. The ending kinda sucked although Homer pointed Nelson to Ned. So it lacked many laughs but story was promising until it undermined it at the end. I’ll give it a C, or 3/5.

Chatting Simpsons Since '93 Brad Lascelle's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sideshow ken View Post
    Not only was everybody was out of character but so unlikeable. Turning these characters into what they aren't ruins the show. 1.5.
    Hey hey, @sideshow ken! Would you like me to round up your score for the site consensus thread poll to a 2... or round it down to a 1?

Pin Pal

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Lascelle View Post
    Hey hey, @sideshow ken! Would you like me to round up your score for the site consensus thread poll to a 2... or round it down to a 1?
    Make it a 2.

Blog Entries

Wow it's been a while since I've done one of these.

So things kick off with Bart visiting Abe to listen to some crazy stories. Abe decides to prank Bart with a fake grenade which convinces Bart to steal it for pranks of his own. Sadly Bart and Abe bonding over pranks is not the plotline of this episode. Bart pulls the fake grenade stunt at school and Ned heroically jumps on it while Skinner just pisses himself because he's a loser.All the parents show up to comfort their kids, except for Nelson's mom, who shows up to get drunk and to have sex. Chalmers decides to finally expel Bart until Flanders agrees to help Bart as a form of community service, and there's some long joke about Ned threatening Chalmers with a bible group. Also, Lisa shows up to taunt Bart in french, because Bart forgot that he can speak french. We then what is basically a lamer version of the Bart and Ned sub-plot from the movie, complete with a fishing scene. Bart ends up being so reformed he becomes a choir boy. Everyone congratulates Ned, which makes Homer butthurt. Homer then starts sulking about how Bart doesn't want to hang out with him now, but why? He always hates Bart in HD era stories, why would he care now? It comes off like he's only being jealous that Ned is doing a better job then him. Bumblebee Man shows up too to say something, which I think is the first time he's spoken....in a couple of seasons? Like I'm pretty sure he's spoken only a handful of times. Homer walks through the dump and randomly finds Nelson there, who is crying about how much his life sucks, so Homer decides to take care of him to get back at Bart for....being forced to do community service and help Ned? Look, Homer is just a dick, ok. And there's a gross joke about snot too.

Homer becomes Nelson's mentor and tries to call Bart to brag about it, but he instead tells his plan to Lisa. And more jokes about Nelson's mom being a whore. Ned is working on some parade floats and makes a joke about how Christians are oppressed. Homer shows up to brag about his new bond with Nelson, which makes Bart get upset. Lisa asks Marge if she's going to do anything about this situation, but Marge suddenly says she doesn't give a shit and runs off. Um, what? Lisa gives Homer some money for therapy. And Duffman shows up to talk Shakespeare...ok. The therapist says Homer is being a dick so he needs to resolve this situation. Nelson's mom tries to guilt trip Homer into staying with Nelson by showing a college of men who have left Nelson's life including...Officer Lou and Bleeding Gums Murphy? And why is Nelson's mom suddenly trying to be a good parent? This comes out of nowhere. Homer admits the truth to Nelson, who runs off to kill Bart. Homer saves Bart's life and they ride in the ambulance together and now things are cool between them again. And I guess Bart hates Ned now too? It's not clear. And then Homer introduces Nelson to Ned, which is kind of an interesting idea, especially when Ned brings up his dead wives. And then the final scene is Nelson and his mom at the Flanders house for dinner. I guess their now all friends. There's also a post credits scene of Homer and Bart throwing peanuts at a baseball game for some reason. This episode ends with a dedication to Max von Sydow.

This was a nothing episode that's full of repeated ideas. It's just a mix of Brother from the Same Planet with Dad Behavior and the Bart and Ned sub-plot from the movie. Bart and Ned spend like three minutes together and then they pretty much disappear into the background for the rest of the story. Most of the episode is just Homer and Nelson interacting, and it's not very interesting or compelling. Homer openly admits he's hanging out with Nelson to spite Bart, but why would he mad at Bart for having a good time during his punishment? There's very little chemistry between the two outside of them being both dumb. And we get more wimpy Nelson, whining about how his mom is a whore and how he doesn't have a dad? The story also really goes nowhere for a while, not helped by how there's no sub-plot at all. The therapy scene lasts like a minute and it's just Homer being told the same thing everyone was telling him before. At least the therapist wasn't voiced by a special guest star. And the scene with Nelson's mom demanding Homer be honest is just goofy, it's hilarious....like this character has been completely one-note, with every single scene with her being a joke about how she's either drunk or a whore, now their suddenly trying to pull some honest emotion out of her? Nelson going off to kill Bart is really underplayed too, like no one points out that if he had gotten his way, Bart would have died. Then Bart suddenly wants to stop hanging out with Ned for no real reason, and we get an ending where Ned and Nelson hang out that could have been interesting if it wasn't in the last two minutes of the story. So it's a story of repeated ideas, and the one original is just used as the ending. All of the jokes were terrible too, like when Marge ran away because she didn't want to deal with Homer and Bart's problem.

1/5, a mess of a story. There's really nothing else to say. It's just an empty story so there's not much to talk about.
    Last edited by AlphaOmega; 05-18-2020 at 10:24 AM.

Thread Information