Thread: Daria-Discussion Thread

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

Daria-Discussion Thread

Daria.jpg

I believe "Daria" is a very underrated show.

I know many people don't care about this show, because it wasn't as popular as "The Simpsons" or as dark as "Family Guy" or as funny as "South Park". However, I believe it deserves a little attention for the way it connected with the audience, which was mostly teenagers of the late 90's. Of course, you have to be a teenager to connect with the show, otherwise you will probably find it dull and boring.

Synopsis:

"Daria" is the story of Daria Morgendorffer, an intelligent, lonely girl in the world of popularity obsessed teenagers, who attend Lawndale High School. Daria faces pressure on two fronts: Her very cute, popular and shallow sister Quinn Morgendorffer and her parents workaholic Helen Morgendorffer and father Jake Morgendorffer, a clueless man with an unfortunate short fuse. They want her to be more popular and more outgoing, but Daria always rejects this path. It appears that Daria will, once again, be a loner at her new school, until she meets a similar soul in the form of young student and artist Jane Lane. The series follows the young, cynical girl and her friend respond to the events around them with dry humour and wit, sarcastic comments, which go over the heads of their targets.

I am not going to give more details about the show, since someone might want to watch it. I am not here to make a spoiler alert, I just want to hear your thoughts about the show!

Personally speaking, the show touched me in a way that I have never felt before. Not only does it describes the life in High school, but also the craziness of a decade. The show surely is past it's prime, but I think that many people might appreciate a more intelligent kind of humour.

The series ran from March 3, 1997 to January 21, 2002.
    Last edited by Simpson's Fan; 03-14-2020 at 04:13 AM.

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Simpson's Fan View Post
    Daria.jpg

I believe "Daria" is a very underrated show.

I know many people don't care about this show, because it wasn't as popular as "The Simpsons" or as dark as "Family Guy" or as funny as "South Park". However, I believe it deserves a little attention for the way it connected with the audience, which was mostly teenagers of the late 90's. Of course, you have to be a teenager to connect with the show, otherwise you will probably find it dull and boring.

Synopsis:

"Daria" is the story of Daria Morgendorffer, an intelligent, lonely girl in the world of popularity obsessed teenagers, who attend Lawndale High School. Daria faces pressure on two fronts: Her very cute, popular and shallow sister Quinn Morgendorffer and her parents workaholic Helen Morgendorffer and father Jake Morgendorffer, a clueless man with an unfortunate short fuse. They want her to be more popular and more outgoing, but Daria always rejects this path. It appears that Daria will, once again, be a loner at her new school, until she meets a similar soul in the form of young student and artist Jane Lane. The series follows the young, cynical girl and her friend respond to the events around them with dry humour and wit, sarcastic comments, which go over the heads of their targets.

I am not going to give more details about the show, since someone might want to watch it. I am not here to make a spoiler alert, I just want to hear your thoughts about the show!

Personally speaking, the show touched me in a way that I have never felt before. Not only does it describes the life in High school, but also the craziness of a decade. The show surely is past it's prime, but I think that many people might appreciate a more intelligent kind of humour.

The series ran from March 3, 1997 to January 21, 2002.
    Not a lot of people care for shows outside the popular ones. Not every show has to be the “Simpsons”. Also I haven’t checked this one out yet but would it be more appropriate to watch Beavis and Butthead first?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by orangemo View Post
    Not a lot of people care for shows outside the popular ones. Not every show has to be the “Simpsons”. Also I haven’t checked this one out yet but would it be more appropriate to watch Beavis and Butthead first?
    You don't have to watch "Beavis and Butthead" first, if you want to skip it and go right away to watch "Daria", because it is a completely different universe. There is no reference in the "Daria" universe about Beavis and Butthead, except of the fact that she went to Highland High School. Of course, if you want to know where Daria originated, you are free to watch some of the episodes that have to do with her character.

This is exactly what I did and I have no problems watching the show, without seeing Beavis and Butthead.
    Last edited by Simpson's Fan; 03-14-2020 at 08:09 AM.

Junior Camper

I've watched Daria but not Beavis and Butthead. Did not feel like I was missing anything. The show is well contained within its own universe. Underrated show.

Thread Information