Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rate & Review: "Bart the Bad Guy" (ZABF08)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Chatting Simpsons Since '93 Brad Lascelle's Avatar

Rate & Review: "Bart the Bad Guy" (ZABF08)

Season 31, Episode 14
    Original Airdate: March 1, 2020
    Writer: Dan Vebber
    Director: Jennifer Moeller
    Showrunner: Matt Selman
    Synopsis: Bart accidentally sees a brand-new superhero movie a month before it comes out... and the world cowers before his newfound plot-spoiling powers. Thus, a new super-villain is born: Spoiler Boy! Can heroic movie executives stop Bart before he succumbs to the temptations of ultimate evil?

Previous R&R
    Next R&R

INDUSTRY REVIEWS
    - IGN - Jesse Schedeen - 8 / 10
    - The A.V. Club - Dennis Perkins - B
    - Den of Geek - Tony Sokol - 3 / 5
    - Bubble Blabber - Jesse Bereta - 10 / 10
    - Puzzled Pagan Presents - Patrick Gaertner
    - The Game of Nerds - Michael Vargas
    - Me Blog Write Good - Mike Amato
    - Phil Payton {YouTube} - B

SIMPSONS REDDIT DISCUSSION THREAD

TV VIEWERSHIP - 0.6 Rating in Adults 18-49 - 1.66 Million Viewers

R&R Poll Average Score: 4.00 / 5 (as of April 3rd / 17 votes)

Users Who Have Voted & Their Score for the Episode
    1010011010 {3} / BloodySimpsonChibi {4} / Brad Lascelle {5} / CousinMerl {4} / Financial Panther {5} / Frankbags {4} / GlitterCat {5} / Homer Samson {4}
    John95 {4} / Kaine {5} / Nameless {4} / orangemo {4} / Szyslak100 {5} / That Don Guy {4} / Venomrabbit {1} / Wile E. the Brain {4} / wiley207 {3}

IMDB User Rating: 7.3 / 10 (as of May 17th / 317 users)
    Last edited by Brad Lascelle; 05-18-2020 at 06:03 PM.
    SEASON 31 RANKINGS
    The Winter of Our Monetized Content - 1.5/5 / Go Big or Go Homer - 2.5/5 / The Fat Blue Line - 3.5/5
    THOH XXX = Danger Things - 2.5/5 / Heaven Swipes Right - 1.5/5 / When Hairy Met Slimy - 2/5
    Gorillas on the Mast - 3.5/5 / Marge the Lumberjill - 2/5 / Livin' La Pura Vida - 5/5
    THANKSGIVING OF HORROR = A-Gobble-ypto - 3/5 / The Fourth Thursday After Tomorrow - 5/5 / The Last Thanksgiving - 3.5/5
    Todd, Todd, Why Hast Thou Forsaken Me? - 3.5/5 / Bobby, It's Cold Outside - 2.5/5 / Hail to the Teeth - 1.5/5
    The Miseducation of Lisa Simpson - 2/5 / Frinkcoin - 3/5 / Maggie Simpson In "Playdate with Destiny" - 4/5
    Bart the Bad Guy - 5/5 / Screenless - 2/5 / Better Off Ned - 2.5/5 / Highway to Well - 4/5
    The Incredible Lightness of Being a Baby - 2.5/5 / Warrin' Priests - 2/5 / The Hateful Eight-Year-Olds - 4.5/5 / The Way of the Dog - 5/5

will gut you like a fish BloodySimpsonChibi's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This episode was actually pretty cool. Felt like a classic episode in some scenes! 8/10
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaine View Post
    I'd imagine patting Lisa on the head would sting, damn kids with their spiky heads.

Really liked this one. Definity got some wholesome vibes from the classic episodes. Laughed aloud several times. 9/10

Alright, now we're talking.

Overall this was a very enjoyable episode,
    I'm not a big fan of when the simpsons parody superheros because they usually go in a weird, wacky and sorta lame direction but the rest of the episode and the actual plot were great. I really have nothing bad to say about the writing, I would really have to nitpick to complain. There's a few interesting nods to classic simpsons, skinner's toupet appears in early comic books and in a deleted scene in season 5 but otherwise this has never been simpsons canon, little things like that made it seem like the writer was a fan of the simpsons and understood them. I thought the "christmas story" ending was pretty good too.

4/5

p.s. Martin sounds great but the same cannot be said about Marge, I know it's not a new development but she sounded really rough in this episode.
    Last edited by Frankbags; 03-01-2020 at 06:49 PM.

This episode was structured in an exceptionally smart fashion just like Vebber's previous movie sendup w/ Selman, Season 23's The Book Job.

First act established the stakes with the Avengers: Infinity War comparisons and setting up a clever explanation for how Bart would wind up seeing the sequel a month early.

Second act had him reacting as any kid would to exploit his newfound knowledge first by baiting CBG and then turning the dynamic on its head and threatening to ruin it for him early and then branching out to the citizenry of Springfield. I loved how Bart even roped his family into the scheme. This was emblematic of a stunt Eric Cartman would pull in South Park but softened up because Bart isn't actually a sociopath like Eric is.

Bart is now a villain having succumbed to temptation but the third act sets up the resolution by having the Russo brothers kidnap Bart and forcing him to confront the ramifications of his actions via stakes that would resonate with him and affording him the opportunity to see the error of his ways. Homer's reaction takes during this sequence were hilarious.

And then the final act had Bart redeem himself with the citizenry he held hostage and the zinger at the end where everyone in town spoiled the movie immediately after watching it was a great capper. And I could relate to this because I went out of my way to watch Endgame during its preview screening just so I wouldn't be spoiled and haven't watched it since - hell, I don't even like comic book movies. Fear of being spoiled on popular culture is a legitimate thing and I felt it was expertly tackled here.

The MCU is rife with opportunity for satire but they went about tackling this material in a way that was focused entirely around Bart, centralized around the concept of spoilers, threw a fun comic book twist on it by having Bart become a villain himself and delivered on the social commentary angle with a bunch of winning gags.

This gets an easy 5 out of 5 from me and will be an easy episode to recommend for displaced fans to seek out.
    Last edited by Brad Lascelle; 03-01-2020 at 06:51 PM.

Blog Entries

As someone who cares nothing about the MCU, it was just boring. Well I doubt it would have been any better if I did care. Yeesh, even stuff like Go Big or Go Homer could get me to crack a smile at least. No such thing here. 1/5

Frankly, came in hoping there'd be some redeeming quality to it but nope. Just marvel stuff I didn't care about, Lisa having everyone fawn over her again because of course there is, a whole lot of dead air, more "sociopath Bart", more "we're relevant we swear" moments, a joke that would have worked if chinnos or whoever just had a phone out because he was bored... and that was the big highlight for humour. It was just a slog to sit through.

SPose I should be thankful it was only boring crap this time.
    Last edited by Venomrabbit; 03-01-2020 at 08:44 PM.
    Season 31 just sucked.

Wants to be a sweetie pie Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Solid episode here. The first two acts were excellent, and I really liked Bart’s characterization as the boy with all the power in town. He didn’t go too far (well, not far enough to be unlikable anyway), and there were some genuinely entertaining scenes throughout. The third act I was worried was the real things at first and would take a The Computer Wore Menace Shoes route, but luckily it turned out to be a simulation. When Bart decided not to spoil everything because of how he was manipulated was a bit questionable in my eyes, especially how his parents were in on it, but it was helped by the reveal that the people working on the movie were spying on Homer and Marge too. I thought most of the jokes were very good in this; the only ones I didn’t care for were the ones with the actor drunk in the hospital. And the end with everyone spoiling the movie was a good gag to end on. It wasn’t perfect, but I think it’s still deserving of a 5/5.
    Favorite and least favorite by season
    1. Life on the Fast Lane Homer’s Night Out 2. Bart Gets an F Dead Putting Society 3. Homer at the Bat Like Father, Like Clown 4. Brother From the Same Planet Krusty Gets Kancelled 5. Cape Feare Lady Bouvier’s Lover 6. Homer Badman Another Simpsons Clip Show 7. King-Size Homer Lisa the Iconoclast 8. Homer’s Enemy The Simpsons Spin-Off Showcase 9. Bart Carny The Trouble With Trillions 10. Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo Homer Simpson in: “Kidney Trouble” 11. Guess Who’s Coming to Criticize Dinner? Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder 12. HOMЯ Tennis the Menace 13. Tales From the Public Domain She of Little Faith 14. The Dad Who Knew Too Little Helter Shelter 15. I, (Annoyed Grunt)-bot Bart-Mangled Banner 16. A Star is Torn On a Clear Day I Can’t See My Sister 17. My Fair Laddy Bonfire of the Manatees 18. The Haw-Hawed Couple You Kent Always Say What You Want 19. Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind All About Lisa 20. Gone Maggie Gone The Good, the Sad and the Drugly 21. The Bob Next Door The Color Yellow 22. Donnie Fatso Love is a Many Strangled Thing 23. The Falcon and the D’ohman A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again 24. Hardly Kirk-ing Moonshine River 25. The War of Art What to Expect When Bart’s Expecting 26. Sky Police Let’s Go Fly a Coot 27. Halloween of Horror Lisa With an ‘S’ 28. There Will Be Buds Moho House 29. Springfield Splendor Throw Grampa From the Dane 30. Daddicus Finch I Want You (She’s So Heavy) 31. Thanksgiving of Horror Warrin’ Priests (Part Two)

My favorite was Homer being immune to Bart's spoilers as he simply does not care about the Vindicators. 5/5 I really liked this one.

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

Good episode it was funny well paced and I liked the idea. No subplot also made it better. 4.5/5

@orangemo Will I be counting this as a 4 or a 5 in the community poll for this episode?

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Lascelle View Post
    @orangemo Will I be counting this as a 4 or a 5 in the community poll for this episode?
    I guess a 4 then. I don’t think it deserves a 5 cause it’s not perfect, but still really good. 4 for the polls but my personal rating is 4.5

Remember Me As I Was 1010011010's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Outside of the cringy expy Marvel names* this was fine. Had a clear topic and narrative with Bart. Not sure how I'd change the third act, either just make it simply Bart dreaming, or put some extra twist with it being a simulation. Or just make it funnier That would also work.

A few things I liked: CBG's dramatic reaction to Bart's spoilers, Homer's explaining why he doesn't care, the Lunchlady Dora x Moe lines.

The idea of the whole Simpson family taking advantage of Bart's exploitation could have been fun if they kept on that route.

"We'll let them live for now." Fitting line for Disney to say about the show.

3/5

*I assume being under Disney now, they are allowed to use the real Marvel names/characters now, right? And they're just doing the expy names for fun. Have no idea how copyright works, but those expy names are so fucking bad, would have appreciated this episode a lot more if they just used the real names. But again, assuming they were allowed to use them.
    Just because I'm stupider than them, they think they're smarter than me!
    Simpsons Season 27 Ratings:
    Every Man's Dream-4.8/10 Cue Detective-6/10 Puffless-7/10 Halloween of Horror-8.4/10 Treehouse of Horror XXVI-(4.5, 5, 3.5) 4.25/10 Friend With Benefit-5/10 Lisa With An 'S'-5.5/10 Paths of Glory--/10 Barthood--/10 The Girl Code--/10 Teenage Mutant Milk-Caused Hurdles--/10 Much Apu About Something--/10 Gal of Constant Sorrow--/10 Love Is in the N2-O2-Ar-CO2-Ne-He-CH4--/10 Lisa the Veterinarian--/10 The Marge-ian Chronicles--/10 The Burns Cage--/10 How Lisa Got Her Marge Back--/10 Fland Canyon--/10 Simprovised--/10 To Courier With Love--/10 Orange is the New Yellow--/10
    Futurama Season 7B Ratings:
    2-D Blacktop-7.5/10 Fry and Leela's Big Fling-7.9/10 T.: The Terrestrial-8.2/10 Forty Percent Leadbelly-6.8/10 The Inhuman Torch-8.4/10 Saturday Morning Fun Pit-(9, 7, 8.5) 8.2/10 Calculon 2.0-8.7/10 Assie Come Home-8.5/10 Leela and the Genestalk-7.2/10 Game of Tones-9.2/10 Murder on The Planet Express-9/10 Stench and Stenchibility-8.5/10 Meanwhile-9.5/10
    Jumping the Shark since 1998...
    Alternate Ending Winner of NHC Survivor Season 1

Yeah, I don't understand some of the expies sometimes. There are so many examples where they used the real life names for an episode and a very obvious play on the name in another. I would have to double check in the case of Harry Potter. I know that the writer had a guest spot and that would be a situation where they will outright use the Harry Potter name but then in a later episode replace him with angelica button. I understand why the writers would do something like this, from a legal standpoint.

Another thing they've done is parody adam west's batman with their radioactive man character, drawing from the classic batman lore, only to have the 'real' adam west batman be written into an episode later on. This is something I don't understand.

I don't think people should treat the simpsons like an institution with unbreakable rules, of which I think there might be a handful, I've read that every episode has to at least have one single member of the family. but it would be nice if they actually looked back at what they have created.

Blog Entries

I just think of Springfield as basically a bootleg-heaven because a lot of companies shun the town for whatever reasons (Quimby's made up extortion-taxes, for a start). Like Ipods exist (and had been referred to, like that one talking Krusty toy) but you'd only get knockoff "mypods" there...

Have Brain, Will Travel Wile E. the Brain's Avatar

Well now we're talking. This episode wasn't overhyped for nothing, it was a very good and enjoyable one. I always thought Dan Vebber was kind of a hit or miss writer (The Book Job is very good, Lisa the Veterinarian and Frink Gets Testy are terrible) but between this one and Thanksgiving of Horror, looks like he found his groove and I thought the writing really was on point here. I don't really care for the MCU (overall I like it just fine, even Endgame was just okay in my opinion) but I don't think you have to to enjoy this episode which is a clever and very funny satire about a number of things related to super-hero movies like those from the MCU, and everything is done right here.

The very first joke of the episode with the Vindicators movie released on absolutely all the theatres rooms at the Springfield multiplex already made me chuckle and was a nice appetizer. The movie itself shows how Jennifer Moeller still is a promising director and Homer being the only one sleeping during this movie is good old Homer. So the first act offers a nice way to show us how Bart was able to see the sequel a month before everyone else and having the power to spoil anyone. The famous actor being a drunk, kinda depressed man outside the screen isn't anything new but I still enjoy his scenes with Bart, and little detail but Bart is kinda adorable while watching the movie and seemingly really being into it. Also, Skinner's screen saver is hilarious and good old Skinner as well. Though once again it looks like they haven't decided yet if it should be YouTube or MyTube in their world (Skinner says YouTube but when he shows the Reaction Guy video, it's MyTube, gosh writers).

Anyway, with such a plot we can fear that Bart would go too far but personally I can definitely see Bart doing what he does in this episode. He doesn't go too far, just like a kid who have the possibility to have whatever he wants. And the fact he even roped his family into his scheme was a nice touch, maybe short but I can't blame the episode for that, considering how loaded the plot is. But my favorite thing has to be Homer being protected of Bart's spoiling powers because he absolutely doesn't care about Vindicators, and delivers us a delightfully funny opinion about super-hero movies. Though that doesn't stop him to take advantage of Bart's powers, good old Homer once again. So Homer is hilarious in this episode and I'm glad of that, I like his dynamic with Bart during the scene were he discovers all the stuff in Bart's room, and there was a lot of jokes that at least made me chuckle (especially Bart in the suitcase, to the point he even deliberately slept in it). Then, Bart remembers that when the movie will eventually come up, he's gonna be a nobody again and decides to have the ultimate treehouse builded by the town's folks, again, not too far.

After an anecdotic scene with Milhouse, Bart eventually finds himself into the Vindicators universe which is apparently real but fortunately actually isn't because it's a VR simulation. Maybe a bit too far for such a mind but I didn't believe it was that much too far either (even if Homer and Marge won't say to him it was a simulation, but eh, I appreciate the joke), and it actually allows Bart to act nicely, and again like a kid who loves super-heroes: it also shows that he's not as heartless as he seems. Also it delivers a hilarious jab at Marvel's executive and at the fact that such a movie can't bomb at the box-office, the satire was really good, especially with the executives considering to kill Bart and even the family with a bomb hidden in their house, I lost it at this joke (and nice jab at Disney as well with the dark reprise of their logo), it was just so hilarious. Nice conclusion too with Bart acting nicely in a "A Christmas Carol ending" way and the folks immediatly spoiling the movie on the Internet right after seeing it. Did I say that I found the satire really good in this episode ? Especially since it covers a lot of things just by talking about spoilers, with some people deliberately wanting some spoilers before watching the movie to the overall fear of being spoiled on popular culture even for something we don't care that much but that is still an "important event" may I say (because like I said, the Marvel movies themselves aren't that much worthy of being an event for the most part, but I digress).

So anyway, all in all I absolutely enjoyed this episode. It has a good structure (I was afraid that the time cards would be overused for the sake of parody but fortunately it wasn't), a good pacing, a great way to tell the story, it wasn't predictable, the characters were very well used, the satire is excellent and didn't feel like the writers tried to be relevant just for being relevant (and come to think of it, it always has been like this, remember how the 1994 episode Itchy and Scratchy Land mostly was a parody of some blockbuster movie event that came a year earlier ?), the jabs at Marvel's executive and at Marvel movies themselves were fun, and the humor was solid despite some slight hiccups here and there (like the super-heroes names). It was a blast to watch from beginning to ending. 4/5
    Last edited by Wile E. the Brain; 03-02-2020 at 03:47 AM.
    It ate EVERYBODY, stupid !

The Winter of Our Monetized Content - 2/5 / Go Big or Go Homer - 2/5 / The Fat Blue Line - 3.5/5 / Treehouse of Horror XXX - 2.5/5 / Gorillas on the Mast - 3.5/5 / Marge the Lumberjill - 2/5 / Livin' la Pura Vida - 4/5 / Thanksgiving of Horror - 4/5 / Todd, Todd, Why Hast Thou Forsaken Me - 2.5/5 / Bobby, it's Cold Outside - 2.5/5 / Hail to the Teeth - 1.5/5 / The Miseducation of Lisa Simpson - 3.5/5 / Frinkcoin - 2/5 / Bart the Bad Guy - 4/5 / Screenless - 3.5/5 / Better Off Ned - 1.5/5 / Highway to Well - 3/5 / The Incredible Lightness of Being a Baby - 2/5 / Warrin' Priests: Part One - 3/5 / Warrin' Priests: Part Two - 2.5/5 / The Hateful Eight-Year-Olds - 3.5/5 / Way of the Dog - TBA

This was most certainly an very solid episode and a lot of fun. The plot about the town of Springfield being up in arms about the new Vindicators superhero movie from the popular Marble movie franchise that ends on an tearjerker of an cliffhanger and Bart, almost a year later after he ends up seeing the long awaited sequel by mistake (by lying he's Milhouse to one of the movie actors coming to the hospital), weaponizing spoilers to blackmail the townspeople into getting what he wants and by so becoming the villainous Spoiler Boy was a strong and interestingly enjoyable story). Well written, directed, produced and paced & having a clear focus on Bart and how he smugly blackmails the town like the bad boy he is & Marge and Lisa being worried, this one really stood out to me in this season. Even though I did look forward to this episode due to the intriguing Bart-centric plot and the spoof take on the Marvel Cinematic Universe but I still had low expectations and luckily, these were kinda exceeded. I liked it a lot.

The episode was set up well, with the town enjoying the Vindicators movie and the ending leaving the audience in tears (an obvious take on 'Avengers: Infinity War' and how audiences reacted to the ending) and then it skipped ahead eleven months (referencing 'Avengers: Endgame') to Skinner informing the students about this dangerous internet video trend, Bart naturally deciding to copy it (this flag challenge of being hoisted up a flagpole) and it ends with Milhouse being dragged down stairs by an old artillery cannon (which was perfectly ridiculous). The story bounced back well to the Vindicator's plot with the actor portraying the hero Airshot visiting the hospital (in hero gear) for Milhouse and Bart being being mistaken for Milhouse, utilizing it to meet the actor and also to see the upcoming Vindicators sequel (that the actor has on his laptop) when the actor, a drunkard, falls asleep. Bart utilizing his newfound spoiler powers to get free stuff (like from Comic Book Guy's store, more food at the cafeteria & even Skinner's toupee) had some amusing moments (and if I'm not mistaken, Bart's school strut scene had same music as the infamous emo dance scene in 'Spider-Man 3'), but my favorite was Homer being immune to spoilers (since he thinks these superhero movies are "boring BS for babies") & Bart making him his partner and so that he (Homer) can get free beer at Moe's was pretty funny (the suitcase stuff was so oddball).

So Bart goes too far and becomes this upervillain who scares the entire town as Spoiler Boy with his spoiler threats & Marge being worried (Lisa not too much, as Bart uses his powers to make the Airshot actor dance with Lisa on the school dance) and Bart, after being warned by the actor that his power will be gone once the movie soon premieres, upping the ante (by making the townsfolk build him an giant treehouse) which leads into the last act with Bart being thrown into an portal by the hero Magnesium Man and waking up in the Vindicator's compound and experiencing how his spoiling power even affects the heroes & ends up confronting the evil Chinnos and his Doomsday App. At first I thought it was getting too cartoonish, but the reveal that Bart is experiencing an virtual reality world in an VR room as he was actually placed there by the Russo brothers (with help from with Marge & Homer) in an attempt to make him see the harm he is doing and turn to the good side fixed that and was a good twist; I liked how Bart choosing to help the heroes defeat Chinnos. The ending, with Bart placed back to where he was abducted and waking up changed, was a good one with the 'Christmas Carol' homage (including him mending his missteps) & Disney having left an bomb-like spy device under Homer and Marge's bed. The stinger with the movie audiences going online to spoil the movie was an fun and suitable way to end it.

As for the jokes and gags, there was several good ones here, not just superhero movie stuff but others too (for example Seymour's screen saver & Bart's quickly edited balloon to Milhouse) and some small of dialogue bits (such as "Bart used his superpower to get me drunker than I've ever beer" & "If you were in my suitcase you'd do the same thing") so maybe not one of the funniest modern episode but a decently amusing one nonetheless with a lot of fun jokes and references. The episode had some good animation (that comes with a story with superheroes) and everyone felt rather well portrayed and more or less in character including the Simpsons, even Bart whose actions felt in line with what he'd do in an situation like this (though he was the villain who took advantage of his position I never came to despise him or felt he was a sociopath; even with the exaggeration (making sense for the episode) it essentially felt like him (he can be pretty bad but still has a heart and when seeing the negative ramifications of his deeds he can certainly feel bad and want to amend things). Only iffy part was his disregard of Milhouse & Homer insisiting Bart is stupid. The guests were well utilized; Kevin Feige did a good impersonation of Josh Brolin's Thanos as Chinnos, Taram Killam and Cobie Smulders as two of the heroes did well & I liked the Russo brothers scene even though their part was a little wedged in there, but not bad at all.

So overall, a very good and enjoyable episode from start to end. Maybe it helps to be familiar with the Marvel universe that it spoofs (though yeah, those expy names were kinda lame), but I think it felt like an episode that could be enjoyed even if you don't know much about superheroes at all since the story was just one that worked really well. I liked the most of it fine and didn't have any real objections, aside from maybe the last act's VR sequence with Bart and the wraparound with the Russos and the family feeling a little jarringly off for some reason (maybe with the fantastical part of Bart being part of the Vindicator's franchise, I dunno), but it's essentially just a nitpick and for the most part it was all fine. From writing to direction to the focused storytelling to the pacing it was one of the best episodes of the season to me, very well handled by Matt Selman, Dan Vebber & Jennifer Moeller, who seem like a great team (I would definitely want to see more by this trio).

This was easily an 4/5 for me (but it might be lucky and get upgraded to a 5/5 later). This was one of those somewhat rare modern episodes where almost everything worked to some degree (even for a spoof and satire on the Marvel movies, the big business behind the scenes and how audiences react to them and the spoilers, even those who think they are dull kiddy stuff) and it came together just about as well as it could have.
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 03-05-2020 at 09:41 AM.

Blog Entries

Looking back again, what stuck out most was that Bart was really unlikable. I mean he literally enslaved a chunk of the town to build on something with sentimental value to them for kicks and hardly even cared about screwing Milhouse over so hard. Maybe if the climax was a dream where he was the main villain or had to confront dream versions of the people he hurt it might have been saveable.

If anything Milhouse should have been the turning point instead of pointless near the end. Rather than being manipulated it should have been him realizing how out of line he was acting.

Oh almost forgot we had another moment of shitting on Bart in Homer going on about him being so stupid too.

Honestly might have dropped Bart down a peg or more on how much I like him anymore.
    Last edited by Venomrabbit; 03-02-2020 at 04:47 AM.

Yeah, I'm pretty much gonna go with everyone else and say that this episode was indeed pretty good. Definitely felt like something I'd see from the classic era of the series even if it's subject matter of parodying the Avengers/Marvel movies will instantly date it if it hasn't already due to it being almost a year since Endgame.

Still, easy 4/5 for this one. Savor this score folks, as I don't give out ones this high very often.
    Family Guy Season 18 Ratings - Yacht Rocky: 1.5/5 Bri-Da: 2.5/5 Absolutely Babulous: 1.5/5 Disney's The Reboot: 1.5/5 Cat Fight: 1.5/5 Peter & Lois' Wedding: .5/5 Heart Burn: 1.5/5 Shanksgiving: .5/5 Christmas is Coming: 2/5 Connie's Celica: 0/5 Short Cuts: 2/5 Undergrounded: 1.5/5 Rich Old Stewie: 3.5/5 The Movement: .5/5 Baby Stewie: 0/5 Start Me Up: 1/5 Coma Guy: 1/5 Better Off Meg: .5/5 Holy Bibble: 0/5 Movin' In (Principal Shepherd's Song): 0/5
    American Dad! Season 16 Ratings - 100 Years a Solid Fool: 0/5 A Starboy is Born: 1/5 Tapped Out: 0/5 Brave N00b World: 0/5 Into the Woods: 0/5 One Fish, Two Fish: 1.5/5 Exquisite Corpses: 2/5 Trophy Wife, Trophy Life: 1.5/5 Game Night: 2/5 American Data?: 0/5 Salute Your Sllort: 0/5 Ghost Dad: TBD Men II Boyz: TBD Roger Needs Dick: 0/5

Well, this episode is literally called Bart the Bad Guy. So of course Bart has to do some unlikeable things but it worked here because they gave him reasons that fit well considering the tone this episode came up with, and that allow to go a little farther than usual without looking too much out of character, but far from crossing the line either. They insist on how the spoiling power he has turned him into a "villain", and thanks to the way the plot is told, we feel that his powers go to his head. Keep in mind that this plot has a super-hero movie parody vibe, "with great powers come great responsabilities" and everything, and Bart chose to do the wrong thing with what he has. Though I agree that he was little to no remorseful about Milhouse being at the hospital, but I didn't mind the second scene with Milhouse telling off Bart and the latter not caring about it because he basically became a "villain" (though this scene still is pointless, I agree).

Calling Bart a sociopath in this one feels like hyperbole. While he obviously became the bad guy (and it fitting well with the supervillain spoof angle) and tapped into being at least a little unlikeable at times (though not that much to me personally) his behavior was well reasoned within the plot and it pretty much felt like in-character for the most part (he has been like this before, pranking the town and acting like an manipulative jerk).

I think the worst thing he did (aside from not really showing much remorse to Milhouse after the accident) was lying to the Airshot actor that he was Milhouse in the Hospital, effectively robbing the latter of his chance to meet said actor and maybe get a peek at the movie so I do think he deserved to get called out by Milhouse and what he got in the end (tricked into stop utilizing spoilers and have a change of heart).

Blog Entries

Bart does the wrong thing often but usually at least gets his head out of his butt and realizes the damage he does in these kinds of stories, rather than having to be manipulated into it. Again, could have been a dream or something where he has to step back and realize how miserable he made everyone, especially Milhouse. Should been something he came around to by himself. Then the family being in on it might have had more point (outside of Lisa being fawned over again which was ew) in them trying to tempt Bart to still keep using spoiler powers or something...

Quote Originally Posted by Venomrabbit View Post
    (outside of Lisa being fawned over again which was ew)
    Or maybe she did that because she's a girl with very few friends (and even her real friends don't hang out that much with her) like it was established from basically the beginning and wants to show that she's a girl that is worth to talk to in the eyes of her classmates ? Like she often tried to do, even before the HD era ?

23. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Szyslak100

Again, could have been a dream or something where he has to step back and realize how miserable he made everyone, especially Milhouse. Should been something he came around to by himself.
    This could've been an good alternative and felt rather down to earth, but still, the more topical and almost OOT way they treated it and the whole episode being an satirical spoof it worked well to me.

I was at first thinking it was a dream, but that would have made Magnesium Man and the portal hard to explain (which reminds me, since Magnesium Man was the one who tossed Bart into the "portal" it must've meant someone wore a functioning suit of armor and flew it to the Simpsons' back yard. I wonder whom that was. Maybe one of the Russos? Would've been nice if that got explained like the "portal").

Blog Entries

Well after what happened to half of them in the last vebber EP and how Lisa acted at the end it still left a foul taste. Otherwise I might have been happy to have called it a 2/5 rounded up on the grounds of at least enjoying the cameos...

I'm pretty convinced that if you did not enjoy this episode at all, then you are very likely to not enjoy any new Simpsons episode in the future. May as well stop watching an go back to S2-10

Although I do admit Marge sounded pretty rough

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

Quote Originally Posted by orangemo View Post
    Good episode it was funny well paced and I liked the idea. No subplot also made it better. 4.5/5
    There was kinda sorta a subplot - the bit about the flagpole. It wouldn't be the first time the subplot was used just to set up the main plot; see, for example, the trampoline in Bart's Inner Child.

4/5 from me as well - not quite 5/5 as I would have preferred it go a slightly different way (for example, have Bart reveal an incorrect spoiler to the villain, or have it turn out that Bart was in on it the whole time and he thought it was going to be some sort of "DVD Bonus Feature"). I'm a little surprised nobody - myself included - remembered that Bart has an Oscar (for Angry Dad: The Movie).)

Well after what happened to half of them in the last vebber EP and how Lisa acted at the end it still left a foul taste.
    So I guess we'll never let him live it down and that any Lisa appearance in any Vebber future episode has to suffer of the comparison with Thanksgiving of Horror which wasn't a canonical episode.

Lisa called Bart a scab on society's knee in the previous episode, and nobody cares ?
    Last edited by Wile E. the Brain; 03-02-2020 at 07:36 AM.

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
    There was kinda sorta a subplot - the bit about the flagpole. It wouldn't be the first time the subplot was used just to set up the main plot; see, for example, the trampoline in Bart's Inner Child.

4/5 from me as well - not quite 5/5 as I would have preferred it go a slightly different way (for example, have Bart reveal an incorrect spoiler to the villain, or have it turn out that Bart was in on it the whole time and he thought it was going to be some sort of "DVD Bonus Feature"). I'm a little surprised nobody - myself included - remembered that Bart has an Oscar (for Angry Dad: The Movie).)
    The flagpole part was integral to the main story. There was no subplot at all. Also continuity is very limited in Simpsons. Almost none at all.

Hercules Rockefeller Homer Samson's Avatar

Great episode. One of the few times an episode has actually shown a moral in a while. Also finally they punish Bart for something he actually DESERVES to be punished for. So far the only episode this season I disliked is Go Big Or Go Homer and Marge the Lumberjill was the definition of mediocre, but I think Season 31 has potential to top Season 29 as the best HD season 4.5/5 rounded down to a 4/5

Quote Originally Posted by Wile E. the Brain View Post
    So anyway, all in all I absolutely enjoyed this episode. It has a good structure (I was afraid that the time cards would be overused for the sake of parody but fortunately it wasn't), a good pacing, a great way to tell the story, it wasn't predictable, the characters were very well used, the satire is excellent and didn't feel like the writers tried to be relevant just for being relevant (and come to think of it, it always has been like this, remember how the 1994 episode Itchy and Scratchy Land mostly was a parody of some blockbuster movie event that came a year earlier ?), the jabs at Marvel's executive and at Marvel movies themselves were fun, and the humor was solid despite some slight hiccups here and there (like the super-heroes names). It was a blast to watch from beginning to ending. 4/5
    Itchy and Scratchy land mostly parodied Westworld, a movie from the 70s with a little nod to jurassic park which was current at the time of production.

Thread Information