Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rate & Review: "Bart the Bad Guy" (ZABF08)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Tyrant: The REAL Tiger King! D DEBBS's Avatar

A thought immediately came to my mind after watching this ep last night: I wish Stan Lee was alive to guest voice. It would have made it sooooooo perfect!

We're out of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Wile E. the Brain View Post
    remember how the 1994 episode Itchy and Scratchy Land mostly was a parody of some blockbuster movie event that came a year earlier ?)
    Itchy and Scratchy Land was a parody of Westworld, the 1973 Michael Crichton movie about an amusement park that's populated by robots that go berserk and start hunting human visitors.

I believe there is a TV show of sorts nowadays, supposedly based on that film. I believe it airs on some pretentious cable network.

Have Brain, Will Travel Wile E. the Brain's Avatar

Yeah I was wrong about that, I forgot Westworld and this was indeed the most important parody source of the episode, I'm sorry, though quite a number of scenes look definitely inspired by Jurassic Park. Besides, that doesn't really change the fact that the Simpsons making a parody of something that came only one or two year earlier isn't anything new, but most of the time nowadays, it's qualified as a poor try to be still relevant.

Quote Originally Posted by John95 View Post
    Definitely felt like something I'd see from the classic era of the series even if it's subject matter of parodying the Avengers/Marvel movies will instantly date it if it hasn't already due to it being almost a year since Endgame.
    Is the subject matter of this episode really something that has dated already?

The MCU is a franchise that is still going strong (and 'Endgame' came out less than a year ago, as said in the quote) so I don't really see it. Maybe if they had done this episode a few years from now but now? Not really. It will probably date years down the line when/if Marvel Studios and its movies will drop drastically in popularity and be seen as just another media franchise that was popular once, but that also goes for many of the things they have parodied before (even as far back in the classic era).

The episode earned 0.6 rating and 1.66 mln. viewers (new season low). Actually, I expected a bit more from such hyped episode.
    IMHO the best and the worst episodes of each season (in bold — the best and worst of overall series, upd. 10/01/20 with trilogy episodes):
    1. There’s No Disgrace Like Home/Homer’s Night Out 2. Old Money/Simpson and Delilah 3. Mr. Lisa Goes to Washington/Homer Alone 4. Homer’s Triple Bypass/Marge in Chains 5. Secrets of a Successful Marriage/Homer and Apu 6. Two Dozen and One Greyhounds/A Star Is Burns 7. Home Sweet Homediddly-Dum-Doodily/Treehouse of Horror VI 8. My Sister, My Sitter/The Simpsons Spin-Off Showcase 9. Miracle on Evergreen Terrace/The Principal and the Pauper 10. Wild Barts Can’t Be Broken/Simpsons Bible Stories 11. Days of Wine and D’oh’ses/Bart to the Future 12. Homer vs. Dignity/New Kids on the Blecch 13. Poppa’s Got a Brand New Badge/Weekend at Burnsie’s 14. Moe Baby Blues/Brake My Wife, Please 15. Fraudcast News/Co-Dependent’s Day 16. Sleeping with the Enemy/Future-Drama 17. Bonfire of the Manatees/Kiss Kiss, Bang Bangalore 18. The Wife Aquatic/Revenge Is a Dish Best Served Three Times 19. Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind/Smoke on the Daughter 20. Coming to Homerica/Four Great Women and a Manicure 21. Chief of Hearts/Treehouse of Horror XX 22. The Ned-Liest Catch/Elementary School Musical 23. A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again/Moe Goes from Rags to Riches 24. Hardly Kirk-ing/Love is a Many-Splintered Thing 25. Brick Like Me/What to Expect When Bart’s Expecting 26. Sky Police/Treehouse of Horror XXV 27. Halloween of Horror/Treehouse of Horror XXVI 28. 22 for 30/Havana Wild Weekend 29. Flanders’ Ladder/Springfield Splendor 30. Baby You Can’t Drive My Car/The Clown Stays in the Picture
    The Simpsons season ratings:
    2 > 3 > 7 > 6 > 1 > 4 > 5 > 8 > 9 > 21 > 27 > 12 > 15 > 20 > 10 > 14 > 19 > 25 > 17 > 29 > 26 > 24 > 13 > 18 > 16 > 28 > 30 > 11 > 23 > 22

I think that thoughts may differ, because so many people, so many opinions.

Have Brain, Will Travel Wile E. the Brain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CousinMerl View Post
    The MCU is a franchise that is still going strong (and 'Endgame' came out less than a year ago, as said in the quote) so I don't really see it. Maybe if they had done this episode a few years from now but now? Not really. It will probably date years down the line when/if Marvel Studios and its movies will drop drastically in popularity and be seen as just another media franchise that was popular once, but that also goes for many of the things they have parodied before (even as far back in the classic era).
    Besides, this episode goes over just tackling the superhero movies subject to mostly talk about the spoiler culture and I think this is a subject that will still go strong for the next years and not only as far as Marvel movies are concerned (for example there was the last Star Wars movie a couple of months ago).
    It ate EVERYBODY, stupid !

The Winter of Our Monetized Content - 2/5 / Go Big or Go Homer - 2/5 / The Fat Blue Line - 3.5/5 / Treehouse of Horror XXX - 2.5/5 / Gorillas on the Mast - 3.5/5 / Marge the Lumberjill - 2/5 / Livin' la Pura Vida - 4/5 / Thanksgiving of Horror - 4/5 / Todd, Todd, Why Hast Thou Forsaken Me - 2.5/5 / Bobby, it's Cold Outside - 2.5/5 / Hail to the Teeth - 1.5/5 / The Miseducation of Lisa Simpson - 3.5/5 / Frinkcoin - 2/5 / Bart the Bad Guy - 4/5 / Screenless - 3.5/5 / Better Off Ned - 1.5/5 / Highway to Well - TBA / The Incredible Lightness of Being a Baby - TBA

I think the spoiler culture satire factor is the one thing that will make this episode hold up the most for years to come as it is certainly something that goes beyond the movie outputs by Marvel Studios and has colored some other big movies that are hyped up like the abeformentioned new Star Wars (even if the "Don't Spoil The Endgame" online movement was in a class of its own). It reminds me of 'Steal This Episode' with its take on movie piracy (which is still a thing, even if it's currently not discussed as much as it was before).

Blog Entries

Here's Phil Payton's review on the episode, as usual:

10. Thumbs Up To This Post by: orangemo

Quote Originally Posted by Wile E. the Brain View Post
    Lisa called Bart a scab on society's knee in the previous episode, and nobody cares ?
    Actually I cared and it cost it a point in my review for being uncalled for.
    You ladies are without a doubt the most sorrowful clique at the dance. Not one of you fit to guard a Russian rock band.

However, your checks have cleared, so you all graduate.

Junior Camper

Quote Originally Posted by angeldeb82 View Post
    Here's Phil Payton's review on the episode, as usual:

After this review, Phil won't be making weekly reviews. I think he said he's gonna combine the entire Fox Sunday reviews into one video a week.

Blog Entries

Very solid episode. Most of it has been said already, but its worth noticing how well act structure was placed with the first act introducing this new Vindicator hero squad fighting a Thanos parody, having one of their heroes play himself who visits Millhouse and sets up the plot, Bart deciding to use his spoiler ''powers'' for evil. The second act has Bart mostly using his powers, Homer being ''immune'' to it by simply not caring for spoilers, and teaming up with Bart. The third act was this whole fake out with Bart encountering the Vindicators and deciding to become a superhero instead of a villain.

I like most of what I've seen. It really helped that there is no sub plot either. A lot of good jokes like the reaction content creators, the hospital scenes, Homer's immunity against Bart's power, Bart using Skinner's toupé, most ''Marbel'' related stuff. The ''disarmed'' bomb with a Disney fond was a good chuckle to end the episode with. A good use of guest celebrities aswell, especially with the use of the superhero ''Airshot'' and how he acts out of character. And I always like when all of Springfield is somewhat involved in an event, which in this case is having them all blackmailed by Bart just because they all happen to like an upcoming movie enough for it not to be spoiled. I didn't buy that literally everyone in Springfield except Homer would love the movies so much, but it made sense for the plot and they didn't go overboard with the worshipping when compared to something like lady Gaga visiting Springfield.

They didn't go overboard with Bart's character either who would act way to much of an ignorant jerk. They managed to stick well enough within his character where he doesn't straight up hurts other people, but rather just annoys them as he is gaining something. The third act while rather wacky also did a good job to turn Bart into a good guy. I'm really glad that they didn't pull a ''elf jockeys'' where it turned out that the Marbel universe was actually real, or that it was an ''its all a dream'' cliché. I was kinda expecting something like Bart being kidnapped into a VR world to happen. I would've actualyl liked if they could've tried something like making the Simpson family superheroes and turn Bart into a villain who is about to kill them in VR, and then realises what he has become and then turn good instead. I didn't mind having ''Chinnos'' as a villain instead, though he's just obviously a rather bland parody of Thanos who's name even sounds kinda lazy. The other superheroes were alright and some of them weren't as obvious of a parody.

It might've helped that I watched the Avengers movies which might've helped a lot to make me enjoy the episode more and to understand the craze around the MCU. They have already done some superhero stuff in the past and created some of their own heroes and villains aswell, kinda surprised they didn't appear anywhere. Overall its a solid Bart centric episode and it did a proper job parodying the Marvel universe. The humor was on point, the pacing was great, not a whole lot to complain unless I have to dig deeper to find reasons to complain which by itself is a compliment for the episode. I didn't mind Millhouse getting screwed over as much but it would've made more sense if we saw him take a bigger part of turning Bart into a good guy, rather than having him get distracted to get kidnapped. This and Thanksgiving of Horror are so far the best episodes of the season, not sure which I would call better considering how different they are. If I had to nitpick minor flaws it could turn into a 4.5/5 rating, but its getting a solid:

5/5
    Last edited by Kaine; 03-05-2020 at 04:03 AM.
    Episodes rated best and worst from each season:
    1: Krusty Gets Busted/Homer's Night Out 2: The Way We Was/Bart's Dog Gets an F 3: Colonel Homer/Dog of Death 4: Marge vs. The Monorail/So It's Come to This: A Simpsons Clip Show 5: Cape Feare/Bart Gets An Elephant 6: Treehouse of Horror V/Another Simpsons Clip Show 7: Mother Simpson/Homerpalooza 8: You Only Move Twice/The Canine Mutiny 9: Lisa's Sax/The Two Mrs. Nahasapeemapetilons 10: Lisa Gets an A/Sunday Cruddy Sunday 11: Behind The Laughter/Beyond Blunderdome 12: Trilogy of Error/The Computer Wore Menace Shoes 13: I Am Furious Yellow/Homer the Moe 14: The Dad Who Knew Too Little/Large Marge 15: The Way We Weren't/Diatribe of a Mad Housewife 16: Thank God Its Doomsday/Mommie Beerest 17: Marge's Son Poisoning/Bonfire of the Manatees 18: Marge Gamer/Revenge is Best Served Three Times 19: Treehouse of Horror XVIII/That 90's Show 20: Gone Maggie Gone/Coming To Homerica 21: O Brother, Where Bart thou?/The Devil Wears Nada 22: Homer Scissorhands/The Fool Monty 23: Holidays of Future Passed/Moe Goes From Rags To Riches 24: Adventures In Baby-Getting/Whiskey Business 25: Brick Like Me/White Christmas Blues 26: Bart's New Friend/The Musk Who Fell to Earth 27: Halloween of Horror/Every Man's Dream 28: There Will Be Buds/Moho House 29: Gone Boy/Throw Grampa from the Dane

14. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Szyslak100

Spoilers. Nobody likes spoilers.  That's why we have the option of hiding them in the forum . Bart the Bad Guy explores spoilers. And a lot of other things I will comment more ahead. Writer and showrunner encharged of Thanksgiving of Horror, the best horror-trilogy in the post-classic era, have beaten themselves with one of the best Bart-centric episodes in a long, long time.

Most of his episodes are not exactly fair with the character. But every now and then we have a great sample of who he is.

Bart Simpson received an excellent characterization. He is a joker, a manipulator too, but he is far to reach the barrier of a sociopath. He is smart, creative, and not the loser he seems to be frequently. He shows wickedness, but he is a nice kid; he has feelings and empathy. He cares about his family, but not too much about Milhouse. He is just a rebel kid who found the perfect way to get whatever he wants and blow up the opportunity. I liked seeing him exploring the Youtube-universe one more time. That is a place that fits perfectly with the boy. As a consequence, he has the opportunity of watching the Vindicators sequel one month early in a really convincing situation and being relatable with people's reactions to this kind of movie. And then appears my personal favorite version of the kid, as long as he learns a lesson at the end and doesn't break the law: the one who gets whatever he wants, manipulating and cheating everyone threatening with spoil the movie. All interactions between Bart and a secondary character were great. I'll be talking about them later, but overall it is classic Bart: likable and irritating simultaneously. Then, the boy affronts a wacky dilemma about being a superhero or a supervillain, something really accurate for the thematic of the episode framed into a simulation. He chooses the correct decision and finally is happy because he apparently saved the universe, in his facet of an innocent ten-year-old can. Bart can apparent being the most uneducated and ignorant boy, and a perverse boy with an obscure future. Both of the extremes, with all the gammas in the middle, are Bart Simpson, and all of them were shown here.

It is not how a sociopath behaves! Well done!

This episode will surely be remembered, if so, as the Marvel-crossover. But it was actually everything about Bart. Marvel (since now, Marble, because that was the parody) was just a resource, not the center of the story. Their movie, Vindicators, was incredibly successful to fill out the episode with clever social criticisms. Not only about how people react to their movies, crying and suffering with them and asking for more immediately they end. Also about how people are scared to a possible spoiler —let me paraphrase Bart— the most powerful thing nowadays. I loved the last gag, with people who watched the movie was spoiling everything in social media, like if it was normal. I also find brilliant that the first idea of Bart was to leak what he knows as a benefit, and not as an extortion. Besides the spoilers, all the Vindicators superheroes get an opportune development. But even most important, all of them had a great design and the voice-actors did a nice job. Airshot was the most important among them. I liked the out-of-character moments of who interprets the superhero, Glen Tangier, although it is a stereotype about big stars getting drunk. Hydrangea was my personal favorite. I quite liked his phrase about piracy. Chinnos (hey, I get a reference, he is a parody of Thanos!) made me chuckle because he is pretty simple for an antagonist. The Russo brothers gave their voice two movie producers, in a crazy third act, which I thought would lose the thread of the plot but thankfully it did it more epic. They were characterized by being agreeable but malevolous. I really enjoyed the spying-gag, especially with that Disney's reference. As someone who never watched any single Marvel movie, I must say it was absolutely delightful to me.

Marble is funny because it sounds like Marvel. Did you get it? Or actually, it might be so because marble may be marvelous (?)

The rest of the family were eclipsed by the boy, taking roles that actually fit on them. Homer was hilarious, at a level he hadn't reached in a long time. I laughed a lot in his appearances: sleeping and snoring during the Vindicator movie, confusing Bart with Skinner, being the barker of the town, blackmailing Moe and, principally, reacting to Bart's actions in the simulator. I loved how he focuses on the wrong thing and even crying for what he sees. I am glad he was the one who represents people who don't care about superhero movies. His comments may offend most fans of that gender, but his opinion is completely valid. I felt relatable with him in that point. Furthermore the jokes, I found sincere his dynamic with Bart. It was nice that the boy has chosen to share the secret with him instead have an unnecessary conflict or confrontation. Lisa has a similar role in that sense, indeed. She might have made a moral comment (she even tried it) but then she relaxed and used that spoiler power to get some popularity and share a dance with Glen. I am not one of those who disliked her character, but I have to admit it was engaging to watch her as a normal girl, simply taking advantage of the situation and enjoying the movie as well. Marge was great too. She has the function that best realizes: the one of mother. She is worried about Bart, and it gives an emotional substance to Bart's decisions. She sometimes doesn't find a place and she goes unnoticed, but she is kinda useful when there is a serious moral conflict in one of his children. I'm glad that Bart has chosen the right thing principally because she gave true importance to that, and she also deserved a happy ending.

The contrast between Homer and the rest is exactly like the contrast between Marvel fans and me when a movie premieres.

There were a lot of moments where secondary characters had the opportunity of shine: Lenny's random comment about Vindicators, or Nelson and Ralph showing the consequences of Youtube/Mytube challenges. Milhouse was an important key to the advancement of the story. He had an absurd accident when he filmed Bart's video, then he is treated in the Hospital (I laughed with the joke about the purple band) and, later, he comes back to ask for an explanation after his best friend betrayed him. It was Milhouse in the purest state. A poor kid that is disrespected and unlucky. Other characters get screentime avoiding the spoilers. I found hilarious how Comic Book Guy decided if wanted or not to be spoiled. I laughed out loud with that sequence where he exhibits a high-hysteria and obsession. It was funny he decided to empty his own store in exchange for Bart's silence. Seymour was blank of another embarrassment from Bart. We found out he uses a toupee. There were some cameos of other characters. Frink, Willie, Helen, Jimbo, Martin, Quimby, Agnes, Wolfcastle. Even Fat Tony had a line, threatening Bart. I found intriguing that Moe and Lunchlady Dora had the same plan to watch Vindicators. It would be greater if they would let the audience believe if it was a casualty or they were together. But the appears together when Bart asks for a Treehouse. What actually intrigues me is that background-recurrent-gag between Otto and Julio that I've talked about in another thread.

Comic Book Guy not only starred in the best scene. He also called Bart as Spoiler Boy!

Magistrally writing by Dan Vebber, who delivered a great story, handled pretty well all the concepts included in the episode, building a great parody about Marvel and Avengers, playing with the concept of hero/villain, and daring to incorporate a strange sci-fi plot-twist to a story that could keep in a sure ground. Wonderfully directed by Jennifer Moeller, captivating some perfect expressions, including a lot of details, and creating an impressive atmosphere not only with Vindicators, but also in normal scenes. A notorious extra-effort from everyone who worked in the episode: Chris Ledesma's special orchestra; Nancy Cartwright's outstanding voice-acting, as well as every other member cast; a great performance of every guest star; a special effort of character layout, of storyboard, of sound-mixer, good choices for casting, nice sound-effects. Everyone who received credit for this episode was also responsible for the harmony and the achievement of this one. Particularly Matt Selman, about who I can't say anything it was not said by me yet. He is a genius. My new favorite episode of the season and, maybe, the best one since Halloween of Horror. When they work harder, we perceive it. Amazing episode.

5/5
    SEASON 31 - RATINGS
    The Winter of Our Monetized Content - 3/5 / Go Big or Go Homer - 2/5 / The Fat Blue Line - 4/5
    Treehouse of Horror XXX - 3/5 / Gorillas on the Mast - 4/5 / Marge the Lumberjill - 2/5
    Livin' La Pura Vida - 5/5 / Thanksgiving of Horror - 5/5 / Todd, Todd, Why Hast Thou Forsaken Me - 3/5
    Bobby, It's Cold Outside - 3/5 / Hail to the Teeth - 2/5 / The Miseducation of Lisa Simpson - 4/5 / Frinkcoin - 2/5 / Bart the Bad Guy - 5/5 / Screenless - 4/5
    Better Off Ned - 1/5 / Highway to Well - 4/5 / The Incredible Lightness of Being a Baby - TBA
    Warrin' Priest TBA / The Hateful Eight-Years-Old - TBA / The Way of the Dog - TBA

I have very mixed feelings about this episode. The first two acts were pretty decent. Skinner should have known that telling the kids not to do the flag stunt would make kids try the flag stunt. Bart screwing over Milhouse isn't new. I liked how Bart tormented Comic Book guy for the simple reason he deserves it for being an a-hole. Lisa making the girls at the school jealous shows she has desires and wants to being number one. Now Homer not caring but using it to get free beer is typical Homer.

But I do remember there have been two episodes were a spoiler was used in an episode "I Married Marge" and "Steal this Episode." Now the only way this relates to me is when Star Wars came out and I didn't want to know anything about but no one blacked mailed me.

Act III. This I think could have been better. Bart forces the town to build him a treehouse in the town's favorite tree as he goes super evil. Milhouse calls him out on being an a-hole. Then Homer and Marge have the producers trick Bart into not being evil. Bart stops the builders on the tree, people see the movie and they then post about it everywhere wrecking it for people who go on social media.

I just didn't like the ending. Instead of Homer and Marge telling him to knock it off he was allowed to act like this. What is worst the family joined in. Bart use to be able to see the error of his ways on his own and he knew where the line is drawn. These writers don't know how to write for Bart (also don't know canon, but that is for another post). In this episode, at least they didn't write him as a sociopath like they usually do. Another thingI just don't know why they have to tear down his character. Last week you had Lisa calling him, "A scab on societies knee," and this episode Homer calling Bart, "stupid." What a way to think about your child.

I really have no idea what to give this episode but I'll give it a passing grade.

Heh, before this, the only time they acknowledged Skinner wearing a toupee was in a couple of early Simpsons Comics issues 1994! Of course that's because Matt Groening hates the toupee cliche. But I will say the toupee looked good on Bart!
    LOL at Moe acknowledging his "WhaaaaAAAAAA?!"
    Homer being the "loudest man in town" was funny, too.

Now for the other FOX 25 news promo where the weather part is longer!

Heh, the chart showing what would happen if the Vindicators sequel bombed was funny! I also enjoyed the Disney bomb under Homer and Marge's bed! Good to see the production crew taking advantage of their new owners, even with the whole "Marble Studios" name.

Because I'm interested in movie culture stuff, I enjoyed this episode, and Matt Selman being showrunner here certainly helped! I give it a 3.5 out or 5, but 3 for the thread verdict count.
    Last edited by wiley207; 04-03-2020 at 06:33 PM.

That was a witty, funny, intelligently told episode only slightly marred by the daft turn of events things took in the last act. ​B+ (4/5 for the poll)
    Season 31 Ratings
    The Winter of Our Monetized Content C+ Go Big or Go Homer ​C- The Fat Blue Line ​C+ Treehouse of Horror XXX ​C- Gorillas on the Mast ​B Marge the Lumberjill C- Livin La Pura Vida ​B- Thanksgiving of Horror ​B Todd, Todd, Why Hast Thou Forsaken Me? ​C Bobby It's Cold Outside ​B- Hail to the Teeth ​D- The Miseducation of Lisa Simpson ​B+ Frinkcoin D+ Bart the Bad Guy ​B+ Screenless ​B Better Off Ned ​C- Highway to Well ​C

Thread Information