Thread: Rate & Review: "Frinkcoin" (ZABF07)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Chatting Simpsons Since '93 Brad Lascelle's Avatar

Rate & Review: "Frinkcoin" (ZABF07)

Season 31, Episode 13
    Original Airdate: February 23, 2020
    Writer: Rob LaZebnik
    Director: Steven Dean Moore
    Showrunner: Al Jean
    Synopsis: Homer and Marge compete to be the topic of Lisa's "Most Interesting Person I Know" essay. Lisa instead chooses Professor Frink. While Lisa works on the essay, Frink develops a cryptocurrency, overtaking Mr. Burns' title of richest man in Springfield. With new fame, Frink struggles to know who his real friends are, while Mr. Burns schemes to take his title back.

Previous R&R
    Next R&R

INDUSTRY REVIEWS
    - The A.V. Club - Dennis Perkins - B
    - Den of Geek - Tony Sokol - 4 / 5
    - Bubble Blabber - Jesse Bereta - 4 / 10
    - Puzzled Pagan Presents - Patrick Gaertner
    - The Game of Nerds - Michael Vargas
    - Me Blog Write Good - Mike Amato
    - Phil Payton {YouTube} - B-

SIMPSONS REDDIT DISCUSSION THREAD

TV VIEWERSHIP - 0.7 Rating in Adults 18-49 - 1.84 Million Viewers

R&R Poll Average Score: 2.93 / 5 (as of May 17th / 15 votes)

Users Who Have Voted & Their Score for the Episode
    1010011010 {1} / BloodySimpsonChibi {3} / Brad Lascelle {3} / CousinMerl {3} / Financial Panther {4} / Frankbags {3} / Kaine {4}
    Nameless {2} / Nitsy {4} / orangemo {4} / Shoskin {2} / Szyslak100 {3} / That Don Guy {2} / Venomrabbit {4} / Wile E. the Brain {2}

IMDB User Rating: 5.9 / 10 (as of May 17th / 238 users)
    Last edited by Brad Lascelle; 05-18-2020 at 06:05 PM.
    SEASON 31 RANKINGS
    The Winter of Our Monetized Content - 1.5/5 / Go Big or Go Homer - 2.5/5 / The Fat Blue Line - 3.5/5
    THOH XXX = Danger Things - 2.5/5 / Heaven Swipes Right - 1.5/5 / When Hairy Met Slimy - 2/5
    Gorillas on the Mast - 3.5/5 / Marge the Lumberjill - 2/5 / Livin' La Pura Vida - 5/5
    THANKSGIVING OF HORROR = A-Gobble-ypto - 3/5 / The Fourth Thursday After Tomorrow - 5/5 / The Last Thanksgiving - 3.5/5
    Todd, Todd, Why Hast Thou Forsaken Me? - 3.5/5 / Bobby, It's Cold Outside - 2.5/5 / Hail to the Teeth - 1.5/5
    The Miseducation of Lisa Simpson - 2/5 / Frinkcoin - 3/5 / Maggie Simpson In "Playdate with Destiny" - 4/5
    Bart the Bad Guy - 5/5 / Screenless - 2/5 / Better Off Ned - 2.5/5 / Highway to Well - 4/5
    The Incredible Lightness of Being a Baby - 2.5/5 / Warrin' Priests - 2/5 / The Hateful Eight-Year-Olds - 4.5/5 / The Way of the Dog - 5/5

2. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Szyslak100

Text too small to read BloodySimpsonChibi's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Will it's leagues better than last week's bullshit. 6/10
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaine View Post
    I'd imagine patting Lisa on the head would sting, damn kids with their spiky heads.

Banned
    Blog Entries

I don't understand why there's almost 15 people credited under Character Layout, I find it awkward though. One day, somewhere for the rest of Season 31, there might be less than 10 people under Character Layout. But why would there be almost 15 people under Character Layout? I don't understand

Accurate and fun Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This was a decent episode and definitely the best Frink-centered one. It’s odd that the writers have picked Frink of all characters to have three episodes around, but at least it’s a new focus. Most of the Simpsons were relegated to background roles, and Homer was actually seen as one of the small antagonists throughout the episode as a person who takes advantage of Frink. I’ll give the episode credit for not going down the predictable path and having Homer and the others at the bar do some sort of big gesture to show they actually like Frink for his personality. The “twist” that Frink would solve the equation was very easy to see coming, but what I was most bothered by was the throwaway joke at the end where Frink and the other scientist make out. If there was this between them, why was Frink going on about his loneliness the whole time? Still, the episode was funnier than average; I especially liked the sign joke with Eddie. Burns’ role wasn’t anything we haven’t seen before, but as the main antagonist, he was fine. I’ll be generous and give it a low 4/5.
    Favorite and least favorite by season
    1. Life on the Fast Lane Homer’s Night Out 2. Bart Gets an F Dead Putting Society 3. Homer at the Bat Like Father, Like Clown 4. Brother From the Same Planet Krusty Gets Kancelled 5. Cape Feare Lady Bouvier’s Lover 6. Homer Badman Another Simpsons Clip Show 7. King-Size Homer Lisa the Iconoclast 8. Homer’s Enemy The Simpsons Spin-Off Showcase 9. Bart Carny The Trouble With Trillions 10. Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo Homer Simpson in: “Kidney Trouble” 11. Guess Who’s Coming to Criticize Dinner? Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder 12. HOMЯ Tennis the Menace 13. Tales From the Public Domain She of Little Faith 14. The Dad Who Knew Too Little Helter Shelter 15. I, (Annoyed Grunt)-bot Bart-Mangled Banner 16. A Star is Torn On a Clear Day I Can’t See My Sister 17. My Fair Laddy Bonfire of the Manatees 18. The Haw-Hawed Couple You Kent Always Say What You Want 19. Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind All About Lisa 20. Gone Maggie Gone The Good, the Sad and the Drugly 21. The Bob Next Door The Color Yellow 22. Donnie Fatso Love is a Many Strangled Thing 23. The Falcon and the D’ohman A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again 24. Hardly Kirk-ing Moonshine River 25. The War of Art What to Expect When Bart’s Expecting 26. Sky Police Let’s Go Fly a Coot 27. Halloween of Horror Lisa With an ‘S’ 28. There Will Be Buds Moho House 29. Springfield Splendor Throw Grampa From the Dane 30. Daddicus Finch I Want You (She’s So Heavy) 31. Thanksgiving of Horror Warrin’ Priests (Part Two)

I loved the final Frink joke when Lisa became his friend and he regretted giving up the money. Hard to quote

3/5, I enjoyed this more than last week's episode but I still don't think it was a very good episode.

I didn't think there was much to this episode, There's something about the intro scene at the restaurant, there's a lot of those moments in HD episodes where I feel like they just pick a scene and paste the characters inside the scene, it's a throwaway scene to set up the plot. It's hard to explain but to me it feels lifeless and fake.

I'm not a fan of the big bang and I thought the video was a waste of time, the schoolhouse rock-esque song wasn't anything to write home about either. I liked the end when he throws the basketball but otherwise I was very bored throughout the video. The rest of episode wasn't much better, I did enjoy the ending, even if it was obvious that Frink was the one who had written the solution.

Blog Entries

Well, it's pretty much as I thought it'd be. A lil' predictable but oherwise fairly... nice. Yeah. Nice. Not spectacular but it's something I could do with.

I guess the main highlight was Bart deliberately pitting Homer and Marge against each other. Or the disney joke. Still think it would have been funnier if Ralph had written the solution, like what he thought was senseless gibberish but everyone went along to.

Still, ain't too shabby and nobody was acting super unlikeable. I don't expect that to last at all...

Chalk me down for... screw it, feeling generous, I'm putting down a 4/5 since it's still one of the better of the season.
    Season 31 just sucked.

No to cooties and sisters. Shoskin's Avatar

I thought it was an ok episode but could have been more. I was hoping it was going to be an evil Mr. Burns episode but that was a side note as he was more into crushing Smithers for calling him Monty. I thought Smithers finally stood up for himself but worrying about an angry Mr. Burns he basically is willing to kill himself as a sniveling toad that he is. Plus I'm sure this plot has been used before with another character that the only reason someone was hanging out with them was for ulterior motives.

Thought a couple of jokes where funny:

-Marge calling Frink a "Coke bottle with teeth," shows she can be petty and has teeth.
    -The Disney joke about not being able to smoke because they are own by Disney was funny, although I hope that isn't the case for future episodes. Actually you think that they would be the perfect example of not wanting to smoke.
    -McKinley rub? Was that Mr. Burns version of an arm burn since he was alive during the time of President McKinley?
    -It's a Nerd as Frink Newspaper headline.

I was going to give this episode a three for the simple fact it was better than last weeks mess, but the comment from Lisa about Bart causes this episode to lose a point as it was uncalled for and childish from the writers, especially when it comes from an eight year old about her 10 year old brother.

2 of 5
    Last edited by Shoskin; 02-23-2020 at 09:37 PM.

Remember Me As I Was 1010011010's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Missed the first three minutes, WEH.

Woulda been nice to have seen Frink’s interactions with his bar friends outside of just doing trivia and a spending montage, give his reaction to them using him some weight. Or maybe he and Burns could have interacted more. Remember that Billionaires Club from Season 20? The Burns and the Bees. I don’t know why, that episode also stunk.

That Lisa line towards the end was depressing. “My parents marriage is broken and my only jazz friend is dead. : |”

1/5
    Just because I'm stupider than them, they think they're smarter than me!
    Simpsons Season 27 Ratings:
    Every Man's Dream-4.8/10 Cue Detective-6/10 Puffless-7/10 Halloween of Horror-8.4/10 Treehouse of Horror XXVI-(4.5, 5, 3.5) 4.25/10 Friend With Benefit-5/10 Lisa With An 'S'-5.5/10 Paths of Glory--/10 Barthood--/10 The Girl Code--/10 Teenage Mutant Milk-Caused Hurdles--/10 Much Apu About Something--/10 Gal of Constant Sorrow--/10 Love Is in the N2-O2-Ar-CO2-Ne-He-CH4--/10 Lisa the Veterinarian--/10 The Marge-ian Chronicles--/10 The Burns Cage--/10 How Lisa Got Her Marge Back--/10 Fland Canyon--/10 Simprovised--/10 To Courier With Love--/10 Orange is the New Yellow--/10
    Futurama Season 7B Ratings:
    2-D Blacktop-7.5/10 Fry and Leela's Big Fling-7.9/10 T.: The Terrestrial-8.2/10 Forty Percent Leadbelly-6.8/10 The Inhuman Torch-8.4/10 Saturday Morning Fun Pit-(9, 7, 8.5) 8.2/10 Calculon 2.0-8.7/10 Assie Come Home-8.5/10 Leela and the Genestalk-7.2/10 Game of Tones-9.2/10 Murder on The Planet Express-9/10 Stench and Stenchibility-8.5/10 Meanwhile-9.5/10
    Jumping the Shark since 1998...
    Alternate Ending Winner of NHC Survivor Season 1

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shoskin View Post
    I was going to give this episode a three for the simple fact it was better than last weeks mess, but the comment from Lisa about Bart causes this episode to lose a point as it was uncalled for and childish from the writers, especially when it comes from an eight year old about her 10 year old brother.
    What was that one again? I might've missed it. I think it was about 3/4 AM when I watched.

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

Quote Originally Posted by TeletubbyMan1998 View Post
    I don't understand why there's almost 15 people credited under Character Layout, I find it awkward though. One day, somewhere for the rest of Season 31, there might be less than 10 people under Character Layout. But why would there be almost 15 people under Character Layout? I don't understand
    Isn't the list pretty much constant for the entire production season?

As for the episode - 2/5. It was a steaming pile of Meh, and the lack of a separate B story increased the meh factor. Maybe if they did more with Frink and his money, it would have been better.

Notes:

-Marge knows what’s up. Don’t even look at a white male admirably in 2020!
    -I laughed at the “It’s a Nerd” headline as well as the groaner about Frink’s parents having “chemistry”.
    -Is every Simpsons episode going to have a tech-related lecture in it? Even after this song, I still find cryptocurrency difficult to understand.
    -This episode seems to be attempting a lot of quick sight gags. Some of them are okay, but maybe calm it down a bit?
    -Kind of cool to see the return of the nerds.
    -Are they calling Smithers “Wayland” in this episode? Isn’t his name “Waylon”? Am I the only one hearing this (both Mr. Burns and this shrink said it)? They don’t even know the names of their own characters anymore.
    -Aw, they name-dropped Trump.
    -One and a half cheers
    -Lisa lampshades the entire series.
    -I like the reveal that Eddie was the one making the billboards.
    -Homer saying “Did I do it?”
    -Hmm. I would’ve thought Springfield’s population was a lot higher than 32,000.

This was a decent episode. I never predicted that Frink would become a more prominent character in the modern era, but I'm coming to like the episodes centered around him. Sure, a plot about fair-weather friends is nothing new, but it hasn't been the focus of an entire episode before (only really mentioned in "Bart of Darkness" with Lisa and the pool), so even though this episode had a lot going on (Smithers' plot kind of fizzled out, though, no?) Frink realizing that money doesn't make him happy was an okay resolution. Lisa's self-pitying is a little obnoxious (her comment about Bart wasn't fair), but her lampshading of the show's plots was funny (even if I'm not 100% convinced that more metahumor is the way to go--there was also a gag about Moe heralding the next scene in the episode). Not the most original story, but they're handling these modern tech-based plots better than I thought they would be able to. A few jokes didn't really work (seemed like they tried to cram way too many into this episode), but it held my attention and made me laugh a few times and once again the characters are done well. But while these episodes that show less of the Simpson family are alright, but I hope we see more of the family soon!

4/5
    Get woke, go broke

15. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Frankbags

I did not catch that Wayland bit while it aired but yes, both mr burns and the therapist clearly say waylanD and not waylon.

Quote Originally Posted by Venomrabbit View Post
    What was that one again? I might've missed it. I think it was about 3/4 AM when I watched.
    I'm obviously not the poster you replied to but I might as well answer.

Apparently now Lisa sees Bart as "a scab on society's knee" (said at around 15 minute in). It was maybe especially jarring as it came as part of the response to being asked if she really knows the human heart so well (seeing as it was a heartless thing to say). And yes, this was probably my least favorite part of the episode as well.

Accurate and fun Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I was also hearing “Wayland” and thought about mentioning it earlier, but I didn’t know if I was just crazy.

19. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Szyslak100

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

Better than last week's snoozefest. I laughed a few times and the story wasn't fully boring. Mr. Burns and Smithers together are always funny.

4/5

Have Brain, Will Travel Wile E. the Brain's Avatar

I did hear Wayland instead of Waylon too. Wonder why they called him Wayland, I really don't believe they actually forgot his real name.
    It ate EVERYBODY, stupid !

The Winter of Our Monetized Content - 2/5 / Go Big or Go Homer - 2/5 / The Fat Blue Line - 3.5/5 / Treehouse of Horror XXX - 2.5/5 / Gorillas on the Mast - 3.5/5 / Marge the Lumberjill - 2/5 / Livin' la Pura Vida - 4/5 / Thanksgiving of Horror - 4/5 / Todd, Todd, Why Hast Thou Forsaken Me - 2.5/5 / Bobby, it's Cold Outside - 2.5/5 / Hail to the Teeth - 1.5/5 / The Miseducation of Lisa Simpson - 3.5/5 / Frinkcoin - 2/5 / Bart the Bad Guy - 4/5 / Screenless - 3.5/5 / Better Off Ned - 1.5/5 / Highway to Well - 3/5 / The Incredible Lightness of Being a Baby - 2/5 / Warrin' Priests: Part One - 3/5 / Warrin' Priests: Part Two - 2.5/5 / The Hateful Eight-Year-Olds - 3.5/5 / Way of the Dog - TBA

22. Thumbs Up To This Post by: orangemo

I didn't think of the Wayland instead of Waylon, but went back to check and it's true he was indeed called that (at least by the leader of the group therapy). Must be a goof, unless it's an official name change they sneaked into there (which feels very unlikely).

24. Thumbs Up To This Post by: orangemo

Blog Entries

Oh, well that's depressing. As in The Miseducation Of Lisa Simpson was a one-off. But then between Go Big or Go Homer, Marge The Lumberjill, that other ep and Daddicus Finch a comment like that is barely registering as far as crappy Lisa moments go. Shame though, I was thinking she was otherwise decent. I spose the comment could be taken as a fancy way of saying "pain in society's butt", which would be a pretty fair assessment of Bart? A change of wording could make a difference...

The Wayland thing is so, so weird. I remember seeing someone else calling him that, I didn't correct because it's hard to do that without coming across like an ass. Guess it's irony they might be right now? Hard to tell if it's an error or intention as neither that nor Waylon seem like common names but that definitely stuck with me. Have they called him Wayland before?

Also additional thing, it's a bit odd how fast the Frinkcoin thing went by at the start. Like he comes up with it and then suddenly he's rich. That's not really a complaint though, especially considering the show does sometimes have a problem getting to the darn point (iirc, Pay Pal especially sticks out, with the main plot only even starting halfway through the ep)
    Last edited by Venomrabbit; 02-24-2020 at 07:24 PM.

Blog Entries

Fun and decent episode. Its probably one of the better Frink episodes we have gotten as we see more of him dealing with his relationships with other secondary characters who are only pretending to be his friends and end up using him. Some of the Burns stuff was nice too despite not being as evil as we know him for. I also really liked Lisa's interactions with Frink and how they ended the episode by becoming real friends.

The ''Cats'' couch gag was pretty fun. The restaurant scene just had the Homer/Marge competition quickly solved by having Lisa choose Frink over them to write for. Liked the Marge joke ''the most interesting person I know is a white male, that will go great over todays climate''. I like the chemistry (and how he jokes about an actual ''chemistry'' relationship with his parents) that Frink has with professor Hessler who is a small sideplot and somewhat acts like a rival yet ends up as a lover. The cryptocoin video had some funny jokes with the guy cheering so much for actually scoring a point in basketball.

Burns' plot starts off well with a few good jokes where he mistakes terms like crypto currency and blockchain. I like how he reacts tot he nerds who are making his own crypto currency and Smithers ending up in a trust circle. It didn't feel like they utilised Burns much more other than letting Frink know that his new friends are using him and having the towns folk solve his formula.

Frinks plot got better as we see him getting unhappy by being the richest man of Springfield. Its good to see more of the bar goons where apparently both Kirk and Gil joined in. Lisa started to break the fourth wall where a lot of her friends from past episodes have simply gone and mentioning Bleeding Gumps Murphy as deceased. The robot bits were kinda cute. Some of the episodes best jokes followed up with Wiggum and the bill boards and the way Frink finds out that his friends were using him. The ending was pretty good where we see more closure for Frink and a Burns icon ditching away Goerge Washington.

I always like when they make episodes that are more centered around secondary characters, especially those who haven't had many. While Frink has gotten a few in the past I find that this did a solid job portraying him aswell. The plot felt thin but there were some good jokes. I think Mr Burns could've had a more fleshed out sub plot where he acts more like a villain and doesn't just need to convince Frink what was really going on. Both plots integraded well and its good to see Burns and Frink interact after all which I don't think that have done before. Other than Lisa, the Simpson family were mostly on the background with Homer acting more as an antagonist for Frinks plot. I thought this was an enjoyable episode, not great but it did a lot of things right. I'd probably rate it a 3.5/5 overall but I'm not sure where to round it to, so I'm probably to generous to give this a:

4/5
    Episodes rated best and worst from each season:
    1: Krusty Gets Busted/Homer's Night Out 2: The Way We Was/Bart's Dog Gets an F 3: Colonel Homer/Dog of Death 4: Marge vs. The Monorail/So It's Come to This: A Simpsons Clip Show 5: Cape Feare/Bart Gets An Elephant 6: Treehouse of Horror V/Another Simpsons Clip Show 7: Mother Simpson/Homerpalooza 8: You Only Move Twice/The Canine Mutiny 9: Lisa's Sax/The Two Mrs. Nahasapeemapetilons 10: Lisa Gets an A/Sunday Cruddy Sunday 11: Behind The Laughter/Beyond Blunderdome 12: Trilogy of Error/The Computer Wore Menace Shoes 13: I Am Furious Yellow/Homer the Moe 14: The Dad Who Knew Too Little/Large Marge 15: The Way We Weren't/Diatribe of a Mad Housewife 16: Thank God Its Doomsday/Mommie Beerest 17: Marge's Son Poisoning/Bonfire of the Manatees 18: Marge Gamer/Revenge is Best Served Three Times 19: Treehouse of Horror XVIII/That 90's Show 20: Gone Maggie Gone/Coming To Homerica 21: O Brother, Where Bart thou?/The Devil Wears Nada 22: Homer Scissorhands/The Fool Monty 23: Holidays of Future Passed/Moe Goes From Rags To Riches 24: Adventures In Baby-Getting/Whiskey Business 25: Brick Like Me/White Christmas Blues 26: Bart's New Friend/The Musk Who Fell to Earth 27: Halloween of Horror/Every Man's Dream 28: There Will Be Buds/Moho House 29: Gone Boy/Throw Grampa from the Dane

27. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Szyslak100

The episode wasn't all that good. I like the prospect of a new Professor Frink episode and it had a pretty good premise with Frink revealing (and eventually releasing) the cryptocurrency called Frinkcoin he has been creating and quickly becomes a millionaire but still feels lonely so to help him Lisa suggests Homer take Frink to Moe's to hang out with the gang but Frink isn't so sure he's their friend, all while Mr. Burns schemes to get the title of the town's richest person again by getting a bunch of programmers (the nerds Doug, Benjamin & Gary) to create him his own cryptocurrency but runs into a problem (which may be a solution if ever solved), but despite having several good moments and bits of humor throughout, I never felt it really came together perfectly and actually came off as kinda shallow and felt like it just scratched on the surface. Good premise Frink-centric and sorta decent overall but it wasn't anything more and felt like kind of a mess, which was a shame.

The story started off decently with the Simpsons at the new vegan restaurant for Lisa's sake, since she's writing a school essay on the most interesting person she knows, and she chooses Frink as due to him devoting himself to make the world better with science, though it felt little overdone in a sense it worked well. It continued neatly with her going to see Frink at the university (where he looks to be a teacher with an office now), but the episode then started feeling a bit too quick and lightweight. Frink shows off his cryptocurrency idea to Lisa with a video, then in the next scene Frinkcoin is already introduced and he's suddenly a tycoon & then in the next scene he's sad and lonely. I wanted more of his journey with better scene transitions, not cut from one event to the other. Even when Homer & friends came into the story things went on by too fast; we only saw Frink win the trivia game, drinking with the gang and a montage of them together, ending with them on his big luxury yacht. Even though Frink got a lot of scenes Lisa supporting him, his relationship to his female workmate at the university & finding out how much his friends truly care about him, it just felt underdeveloped and Frink was like a minor character; it was like a book that was skimmed through and only some sections were read more closely.

The episode also juggled between this main plot which also had Homer & friends as the bad guys (of sort), Lisa's plot with her friendship with Frink (and her essay plot which went nowhere) and Burns' plot of him trying to be the richest man in town again (also Smithers being to an support group due to Burns treatment of him). I liked Lisa befriending Frink and giving him advice (such as likening her loneliness to his and inspiring him to test his friends' loyality) & Burns' plot with the cryptocurrency plan turning into a code which he plans to use to ruin Frink with (once the whiteboard problem gets figured out by someone) was maybe the most interesting part & I liked Smithers’ in the support group (as it was more introspective, something I had expected for Frink). I liked how they (aside from Smithers tied into Frink's story, that with Burns competing with him and trying to get to him mentally by telling how lonely he'll be as a rich man and having fake friends who take advantage of him and Lisa helping the professor with advice. The final twist of the mystery person who solved the problem on the whiteboard on the town square was predictable with it being Frink himself but it made sense and was done well (with him ruining himself as means to reset his status & his realization that he cost himself his wealth was funny).

I didn't find the episode all that funny but it did have some good that did make me chuckle a little (such as Moe's wall of trivia winners, Patty & Selma's bit & the 'Three Billboards joke' with Chief Wiggum mostly due to the stinger with the reveal of Eddie), it was mostly well animated even though nothing stood out & the characterizations were fine for the most part, save from some moments like Marge's sudden angry comment about white males in the opening scene (that really felt out of character) and Lisa saying Bart is "a scab on society's knee" (which has got to be one of the most cruel things she said about her brother). The guest stars did okay but I didn't care for the cryptocurrency video with Jim Parsons (of 'The Big Bang Theory' fame); it felt like it went on for way too long and with the song and Parsons doing cool stuff and keeping on stating how he's not a nerd wasn't really amusing to me but rather lame and self-indulgent (it was like they had him because 'Big Bang Theory' is so popular). I think they should have cut the video down 2/3rds; with that excessive length it just came off as padding and took time that should have been devoted to Frink's story, which got too little time devoted to it).

So all in all, an okay episode. I think that the episode's big problem was that it underserved Frink by jumping forward too quickly with his progression and spent too litte personal time with him but we almost saw him and his conflict only from the viewpoints of the other characters, with there not being many personal scenes with him so that could be engaged in his plight (though I did like that backstory info we got on him). Lisa's part was okay (even though they dropped the essay plot point) and the Burns plot was decent (especially the whiteboard code) and the Smithers bit (though it was pointless), but with all these plot threads it was overstuffed and also underwritten with the Frink plot. I really wanted to like it a lot but it just wasn't that good despite it having its fair share of positives, though it never fell into bottom level territory at all because of those moments I liked, but I had expected a better and less rushed and choppy surface execution of this Frink-centric plot (it felt like the writers were more interested in the other characters). I guess I wanted more of a Frink focus in this Frink episode.

A generous 3/5, rounded up from a 2.5/5. It had potential to give Frink an really interesting story but I felt they underplayed it with sort of a rushed, minimal feel and a surprisingly limited role for him & the side stories, while not bad, either felt unnecessary or were too prominent to the point of Frink not getting nearly enough screentime. The premise itself was nice, but the execution just lacked. They tried to do a bit too much and should have scaled back, focused on Frink as the lead and streamlined & tightened it up.
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 03-02-2020 at 07:08 AM.

29. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Szyslak100

Blog Entries

Finally. Here's Phil Payton's review on the episode:

Season 31 assembled two interesting trendings, and I am vehemently and absolutely in favor of both of them: explorations of concepts worthy of the 21st century, something that was usual back in season 30, and a major role to secondary/minor characters every now and then, with The Simpsons family relegated to a second plane moreover. Frinkcoin stretched both trends, but not in the best way.

This screen is almost worthy of an Instagram post, lol.

Professor John Frink's role in the show is definitely a curious case. He has been truly stepped aside of big roles throughout the entire series beside some partner-appearances, as in They Saved Lisa's Brain or The Book Job. Then, he got a non-Halloween-ish segment in Treehouse of Horror XIV related to his non-canon father. But in later seasons, he becomes increasingly important and the writers started to focus on him. I don't know the reason. He was nothing more than a smart scientific with a crazy droll voice. And that's why I felt Love Is in the N2-O2-Ar-CO2-Ne-He-CH4 and Frink Gets Testy were forgettable at best. Frinkcoin was not anything special either, but at least it went over great his most visible facets. While we watched him pick up women in St. Valentine's Day or creating a nonsensical test for a reason that I vaguely remember in the aforementioned episodes, here we got at least a deeper emotional story. How a common a solitary guy has everything thanks to the wealth and loses everything again because it is all false. It is a kinda interesting concept for me. We learned a lot about him here: he was the second test-tube baby, the origin of his wacky sounds and his haul on science, his parents, his strange liking about pens with four different colors, his avocation about trivia, and the three-functions robot he built. The only aspect of his life I disliked here was his relationship with the teacher he shared the room. It was an unnecessary twist that threw down the entire affective-problem of loneliness. I thought he would be just part of a recurrent gag. And she was. But that relationship showed at the end was uninteresting and unhelpful.

If Frink is the James Chadwick of Springfield, who would Einstein be?

I actually enjoyed the exploration of virtual currency. Not just because I will be an accountant and it is a subject I am interested in, also because is a new concept for the show and something where there was some potential. My favorite scene of the episode was maybe Jim Parsons' talking about cryptocurrency. Yeah, it was just an explanation and it was overlong. But I thought it may be useful for people who don't know anything about cryptocurrency and it was pretty funny thanks to the always successful gags about nerds. It is nice to have a guest star disposed to be the blank of jokes. I also liked the comment of Brockman about how Frinkcoin is more stable than gold and Renminbi and Moe's resentment with Albanian Lek. But I get sad when Burns called the peso (the currency of my country) a "pseudo-currency". Coming back to Frink, I would like it more if his ascent to wealth and fame could be more detailed. I would like if we would get descriptions about how he went into that business and how he becomes in billionaire, but he was in that niche suddenly instead. Out of all the little plots there were here and there, I less liked the one of Frink hanging out with Homer, Moe, and all the gang composed by losers of the size of Kirk and Gil. While the dynamics between the smartest guy of the town with alcoholics and unsuccessful people had their potential, I don't think this was the accurate context for that. I can't understand why Frink would accept enter into this environment absolutely inaccurate for him, when with all the money he might have traveled around the world and know people like him. I think they tried to adapt the story to Homer, but I am sure there were better and more convincing ways to do it.

The Simpsons joked about the low value of the peso back in season 15. Nothing changed yet.

I was not interested in those scenes of Frink and his fakes friends. Their eccentric experience doesn't feel common in any of them. Not because Frink becomes in a billionaire he would invite people who barely know to picnic in sailcloth sustained by four hot aid balloons (?). Topping it all off, the sequence was musically accompanied by a weak original song performed by Frink. Plus, it was obvious that Lenny, Carl, and all the guys were along with him just because of the money. You can see the outcome of the story since the conflict started. Even the robot I aforementioned disliked him. It seems like everyone dislikes Frink but at the difference of other characters, it was not clear why. He is agreeable and is not annoying besides his sporadic noises. Even Marge was thorough with him, calling him a Coke bottle with teeth. And it is clear that Frink doesn't deserve that mistreat. Fortunately, Lisa was capable of seeing the brightness and capacity there are in the scientist. The essay went nowhere but it was nice she chose him and then never doubt about that. Lisa was there in every moment to the Professor without asking anything, understanding his feelings, being empathetic, admiring him constantly. Their relationship was kinda sweet and I would like it if it endures and grows in future episodes. Though, I know it will be forgotten in an upcoming episode where Lisa has a new friend. I think Lisa/Frink's last scene together missed the right moment to make them hug. It might be even better their farewell. However, I liked what we got about them. Frink's reaction to the money he lost was fine.

Lisa's imitation of Frink was kinda sweet and funny. Hoyvik!

Some other secondary characters received brief moments on screen. Arnie Pye in the helicopter questioning why he is covering Frink's conference, Cletus' roadside corns, Eddie putting a billboard complaining about his role and Wiggum asking who puts them. Nothing special but I always enjoy when minor characters have something to do. I worried about Patty & Selma stopping to smoke, but it was clarified by Al Jean it was just a joke. For their part, Burns and Smithers led the sub-plot. Their role was similar to the one in Bobby, It's Cold Outside. They were aside from the Simpsons family all the time and sustained their own story for themselves. Burns' functions were directly related to the main story. He looking to recover the place of the richest man in Springfield wasn't fabulous, but it was a smart consequence of Frink's invent and a good idea to fill a story that needed a complement. If this part keeps a bit of sparkle, it is thanks to Benjamin, Doug, and Gary. These guys are always funny. They were useless to Burns but the jokes of the 90,000 years made me chuckle. The rest wasn't catching: the plan to Burnscoin and who would solve the equation was absolutely predictable. Smithers, for his part, has a story that doesn't have an actual correlation with Frinkcoin. He called "Monty" at his boss and that makes him angry. We saw him eating a shellfish although he is allergic and assisting in a self-help therapy that goes nowhere. Really, he still helps Burns in his malefic plans, and nothing changes during the episode about their relationship. It will be something I probably won't remember when I rewatch the episode. Oh, and why the hell is he called Wayland here? That made me angry. I hope I misunderstood a joke and it was not a terrible error.

I like they still dare to joke about Disney. I wish they never censure themselves again.

So, it was an unorganized episode. Still the best Frink-centered story of the show (which is not much to say), especially thanks to his dynamic with Lisa. But it has several problems: some hollow subplots, with lots of gaps in the story, a bit rushed and with low-rewatch-value. Hopefully, there won't be more Frink episodes in the near future. In the 2.5/5 range to me.

3/5
    Last edited by Szyslak100; 05-20-2020 at 05:08 PM.

Have Brain, Will Travel Wile E. the Brain's Avatar

I don't have much time nor will to talk about this episode so I'm gonna be pretty quick about this one. I didn't really like it. I enjoy the fact they wanted to make an episode about a secondary character to deepen it but I don't think it worked very well with Frink here even if I enjoyed seeing more of him and giving him a kind of emotional side. The plot didn't interest me, we quickly know where this would go and I don't have that much of a problem with predictable episode as long as they are well handled or entertaining enough but this one wasn't in my opinion. It's a pretty laughless episode and once again I don't like how they try to make the humor so off by this show's standards, with more cartoon jokes and more fourth wall breaking but less subtle and more straight which felt completely odd in such a show (like with Moe literally asking for the next scene to come, or the Disney joke, which I admit is still quite funny and I appreciate how they still are at least bold enough to make fun of who own them now). Also Jim Parsons was just here to make jokes about "nerds doing cool stuff because y'know nerds are seen as uncool and that's funny because he does cool things just to look cool" and The Big Bang Theory references.

As for the plot, like I said I wasn't really interested even if I did like some elements on it, like the dynamic between Frink and Lisa which was kinda nice (though I still dislike how the writers want to make basically only a depressed girl out of her), I also liked they were bold enough to make Homer an antagonist but in a way that doesn't really feel out of character (that doesn't make the plot any better though) and Burns has some good jokes but overall this one was especially forgettable in my opinion. 2/5

33. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Szyslak100

There was a joke near the beginning that made me laugh but I can't remember what it was now and I just watched it

D+ (2/5 ​for poll)
    Season 31 Ratings
    The Winter of Our Monetized Content C+ Go Big or Go Homer ​C- The Fat Blue Line ​C+ Treehouse of Horror XXX ​C- Gorillas on the Mast ​B Marge the Lumberjill C- Livin La Pura Vida ​B- Thanksgiving of Horror ​B Todd, Todd, Why Hast Thou Forsaken Me? ​C Bobby It's Cold Outside ​B- Hail to the Teeth ​D- The Miseducation of Lisa Simpson ​B+ Frinkcoin D+ Bart the Bad Guy ​B+ Screenless ​B Better Off Ned ​C- Highway to Well ​C The Incredible Lightness of Being a Baby ​C+ Warrin' Priests ​C- The Hateful Eight-Year-Olds ​B

Sorry, @Brad Lascelle I forgot to notify my upgrade of this one to the 3/5 grade.

Chatting Simpsons Since '93 Brad Lascelle's Avatar

@Szyslak100 Consider it noted and accounted for!

37. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Szyslak100

Thread Information