Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rate & Review: "The Miseducation of Lisa Simpson" (ZABF06)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame: No Pearl Jam.

Creepy and funny at the same time is Chalmers wanting to sketch that woman.

I just couldn't get interested in this story. Maybe it was the whole plot all together. The Seacaptain probably was the best until she shacked up with Quimby. Though, I thought Quimby like young women? Other than that I felt the whole thing could have been better.

2 of 5.
    Close to 30 years and still no Dimoxinil!

Yeah, Phil's review more or less sums up my thoughts on the episode as well. As I said on the comments for that review, it's harmless.

2/5
    Family Guy Season 18 Ratings - Yacht Rocky: 1.5/5 Bri-Da: 2.5/5 Absolutely Babulous: 1.5/5 Disney's The Reboot: 1.5/5 Cat Fight: 1.5/5 Peter & Lois' Wedding: .5/5 Heart Burn: 1.5/5 Shanksgiving: .5/5 Christmas is Coming: 2/5 Connie's Celica: 0/5 Short Cuts: 2/5 Undergrounded: 1.5/5 Rich Old Stewie: 3.5/5 The Movement: .5/5 Baby Stewie: 0/5
    American Dad! Season 15 Ratings - Fantasy Baseball: 1.5/5 I Am the Jeans: The Gina Lavetti Story: 0/5 Stan & Francine & Connie & Ted: 0/5 Rabbit Ears: 1.5/5 Jeff and the Dank Ass Weed Factory: 1/5 Lost Boys: 0/5 Shark?!: 1/5 The Long March: 2/5 The Hall Monitor and the Lunch Lady: 0/5 Wild Women Do: 2/5 An Irish Goodbye: 3/5 Stompe le Monde: 0/5 Mom Sauce: 0/5 Hamerican Dad!: 0/5 Demolition Daddy: 0/5 Pride Before the Fail: .5/5 Enter Stanman: 0/5 No Weddings and a Funeral: 0/5 Eight Fires: 1.5/5 The Hand That Rocks the Rogu: 0/5 Downtown: TBD Cheek to Cheek: A Stripper's Story: TBD

IMHO the best and the worst episodes of each season (in bold — the best and worst of overall series, upd. 10/01/20 with trilogy episodes):
    1. There’s No Disgrace Like Home/Homer’s Night Out 2. Old Money/Simpson and Delilah 3. Mr. Lisa Goes to Washington/Homer Alone 4. Homer’s Triple Bypass/Marge in Chains 5. Secrets of a Successful Marriage/Homer and Apu 6. Two Dozen and One Greyhounds/A Star Is Burns 7. Home Sweet Homediddly-Dum-Doodily/Treehouse of Horror VI 8. My Sister, My Sitter/The Simpsons Spin-Off Showcase 9. Miracle on Evergreen Terrace/The Principal and the Pauper 10. Wild Barts Can’t Be Broken/Simpsons Bible Stories 11. Days of Wine and D’oh’ses/Bart to the Future 12. Homer vs. Dignity/New Kids on the Blecch 13. Poppa’s Got a Brand New Badge/Weekend at Burnsie’s 14. Moe Baby Blues/Brake My Wife, Please 15. Fraudcast News/Co-Dependent’s Day 16. Sleeping with the Enemy/Future-Drama 17. Bonfire of the Manatees/Kiss Kiss, Bang Bangalore 18. The Wife Aquatic/Revenge Is a Dish Best Served Three Times 19. Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind/Smoke on the Daughter 20. Coming to Homerica/Four Great Women and a Manicure 21. Chief of Hearts/Treehouse of Horror XX 22. The Ned-Liest Catch/Elementary School Musical 23. A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again/Moe Goes from Rags to Riches 24. Hardly Kirk-ing/Love is a Many-Splintered Thing 25. Brick Like Me/What to Expect When Bart’s Expecting 26. Sky Police/Treehouse of Horror XXV 27. Halloween of Horror/Treehouse of Horror XXVI 28. 22 for 30/Havana Wild Weekend 29. Flanders’ Ladder/Springfield Splendor 30. Baby You Can’t Drive My Car/The Clown Stays in the Picture
    The Simpsons season ratings:
    2 > 3 > 7 > 6 > 1 > 4 > 5 > 8 > 9 > 21 > 27 > 12 > 15 > 20 > 10 > 14 > 19 > 25 > 17 > 29 > 26 > 24 > 13 > 18 > 16 > 28 > 30 > 11 > 23 > 22

I think that thoughts may differ, because so many people, so many opinions.

This episode seemed a bit cobbled together. Opening with a minor character having marital strife and going through the motions with his job? Largo in Girl's In The Band. A sudden windfall leads to a town meeting where everyone dreads Marge's suggestion and opinion is swayed by song? Monorail. Monorail. Monorail. Mono- doh. A fun program at school that Bart likes but has an ulterior motive? Grift of the Magi.
    Still, it wasn't terrible, I laughed a few times. Gonna give a 3/5, room to improve but not entirely bad.
    Pokemon Moon Friend Code 5473-2104-2310
    Looking for shiny, legendary, and mythical. Got shiny Sandshrew (Alola)
    Have various starters, zorua, can breed many pokemon.
    Current egg move hatching: Tyrunt with fire fang

5. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Szyslak100

Quote Originally Posted by GlitterCat View Post
    This episode seemed a bit cobbled together. Opening with a minor character having marital strife and going through the motions with his job? Largo in Girl's In The Band. A sudden windfall leads to a town meeting where everyone dreads Marge's suggestion and opinion is swayed by song? Monorail. Monorail. Monorail. Mono- doh. A fun program at school that Bart likes but has an ulterior motive? Grift of the Magi.
    Still, it wasn't terrible, I laughed a few times. Gonna give a 3/5, room to improve but not entirely bad.
    I agree with you on most of this except Bart didn't have an ulterior motive. He excelled in both situations until he realized something was wrong. I would say he was more naïve to that he was being used.

Blog Entries

Very fun episode. I liked most of the stories including the opening with the Sea Captain's backstory, although Homer's sub plot felt rather unnecesary and didn't really add much to the episode. Bart's obsession with collecting all the avatars had some good jokes and felt realistic with how many gamers play for collectibles.

The Sea Captain got some much needed screentime and they've shown quite much of him in a short time. Though the joke of him finding a treasure using a rather boring method of marking every inch of the map dragged on for to long. The first act basically made for another ''Marge vs the Monorail'' moment where the town gets a lot of cash and decides where to give it on during a town meeting, where this time they actually go for Marge's plan. Good gag with Marge's image on the ''nagging objections'' option. The main plot with Lisa was probably the best plot and lead to a detective story with some good jokes. The end results were kinda predictable with the school wanting to turn the kids into workers for very low pay. Kinda funny how Bart acted against Lisa.

Homer's plot felt like it was heading to much towards ''Them, Robot'' with another robot taking over plot. Other than that I like the schools design, the use of other kids (though I wish they gave them more speaking roles) and the new principal who is an alright character. One of the best part is how the school literally destroyed itself due to low ratings. The extra ending was pretty funny aswell.

The episodes premise wasnt much special but I like how it was executed for most part. Some good characterisations for the Simpson family, Sea Captain getting a backstory, most plots felt enjoyable to watch, good amount of jokes. Its not a standout episode but it did most things right and kept me entertained.

4/5
    Episodes rated best and worst from each season:
    1: Krusty Gets Busted/Homer's Night Out 2: The Way We Was/Bart's Dog Gets an F 3: Colonel Homer/Dog of Death 4: Marge vs. The Monorail/So It's Come to This: A Simpsons Clip Show 5: Cape Feare/Bart Gets An Elephant 6: Treehouse of Horror V/Another Simpsons Clip Show 7: Mother Simpson/Homerpalooza 8: You Only Move Twice/The Canine Mutiny 9: Lisa's Sax/The Two Mrs. Nahasapeemapetilons 10: Lisa Gets an A/Sunday Cruddy Sunday 11: Behind The Laughter/Beyond Blunderdome 12: Trilogy of Error/The Computer Wore Menace Shoes 13: I Am Furious Yellow/Homer the Moe 14: The Dad Who Knew Too Little/Large Marge 15: The Way We Weren't/Diatribe of a Mad Housewife 16: Thank God Its Doomsday/Mommie Beerest 17: Marge's Son Poisoning/Bonfire of the Manatees 18: Marge Gamer/Revenge is Best Served Three Times 19: Treehouse of Horror XVIII/That 90's Show 20: Gone Maggie Gone/Coming To Homerica 21: O Brother, Where Bart thou?/The Devil Wears Nada 22: Homer Scissorhands/The Fool Monty 23: Holidays of Future Passed/Moe Goes From Rags To Riches 24: Adventures In Baby-Getting/Whiskey Business 25: Brick Like Me/White Christmas Blues 26: Bart's New Friend/The Musk Who Fell to Earth 27: Halloween of Horror/Every Man's Dream 28: There Will Be Buds/Moho House 29: Gone Boy/Throw Grampa from the Dane

8. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Szyslak100

The Simpsons are including in every episode of season 31 tons of references and plot-thread related to current/futuristic technologies. The Miseducation of Lisa Simpson warns us about the dangers it brings. Robots occupy our place in the world and they threaten our jobs. The topic is repetitive but quite interesting to explore it again, and this time, under a different context.

STEM and robotic were the blanks of another great satire from brilliant J. Stewart Burns

I really enjoyed the slow, unfocused start. They approached the beginning of the story to develop a minor character, and I value that format. This time was the turn of Captain Horatio McCallister. I am not sure if I actually liked the environment built for the Captain. It always was implicitly established that he was alone, but here he conveniently has a relationship with a girl. I can forget that inconvenience of continuity since McCallister is not an important character and what we know about him is unstable and modifiable. So, we see him looking for a treasure, in some scenes that were funny for their simpleness. He says the ubication, a sound shows there's nothing there, one of his crewmen confirms that, and the Captain crosses out the point they were on the map. The scene is repeated some times, with the song of Pirates of the Caribbean sounding, until we hear two beeps. The treasure was found and the crew comes back to Springfield cheerful, surrounded by gold. But Quimby was waiting for them in the port, telling that the treasure is now part of the Springfield arcs. If you read my preview, you'll know I am glad about who 'stole' Captain's acquisition. But it is sad how the long life dream was a waste of time. And it's even sadder that the betrayed was his own wife. She promised she will look for the treasure along with him years ago, but she forgot it, becoming an alone housewife. The Captain suddenly lost both two-motivations to alive and immediately falls in depression, getting drunk in the side of the Street. I wouldn't like to know how the rest of the crew reacts again that selfish action, but I'd like to see if the Captain will regret his wife, although she doesn't look sorry.

It is a great format that makes greater minor characters. Who will be the next one?

The actual plot started with a town council where they debated where to destine the fruits of the treasure. After a series of stupid ideas, Marge says she has one. The Mayor postpones it because objections should be later, and then everyone reacts to it with a yank, in two similar-and-good jokes in a row. The idea is about STEM education, but people just listen it when John Legend sings about it. I generally abhor when a guest star is included unnecessarily into an episode, especially if they appear as themselves. But this was an exception: I love his voice, the songs were nice (both about STEM and Jury Duty), and he had good lines, being characterized as a meek-husband. By the way, Chrissy Teigen has an annoying and forced role, but I am disposed to put up with it in exchange for John Legend. So, STEM is constructed and everyone is happy with this. Chalmers retire doesn't affect him, all kids find a place in the school, the Captain doesn't reclaim the treasure. Everything fits and it looked like there was not a conflict. Zach Woods interpreted Zane Furlong, the "Collaborative Educational Outreacher" of the new school, or like Bart named him: the Skinner 2.0. I don't know why, but I think he was really friendly. He seems to be comprehensive with kids, persuasive, smart, and to my surprise, he didn't become in the antagonist. He finds a correct place for Bart, incentivizing him to unlock skins, and Lisa, putting her in a gifted class. I'd say Zane is endearing and was really useful to the development of the episode. Hey, looking it back, he even saved the life of Bart and Lisa. Cheers up for this character!

Do you notice something special in animation during Legend's concert? It looked impressive.

Some scenes of the kids enjoying the school were fine. There were good jokes here and there, like Martin's example about what an algorithm is, Willie forming the signposted with MyPads or Bart's Sideshow Bob's skin. But the actual conflict starts when Lisa discovers something strange in the algorithm. She thought she found out the truth when she noticed there were privileged teachings to smarter kids like her, which annoyed her although that was what she wanted at the start, just like Zane remarked. We watch a lot of what we thought will be the jobs of tomorrow, just like buy groceries for rich people, drive Uber and other alternatives or create tip jars. That started a battle between Lisa and Bart, but in a way, each one of them defended the other one. Lisa, who has privileges, tried to stand a high-level of Bart's education, while Bart tried to keep the mediocrity because the school was more interesting to him in this form. Both of them tried to convince the rest of the kids with a speech. Bart with because he said the gigs are made by DJ and put a song from David Guetta. I think it was a great satire about how ordinary people have ordinary resources. But then, after consulting the algorithm, they have to join themselves to beat a bigger enemy: the own algorithm. It was a nice plot-twist, because it put Bart and Lisa together, working as a team. However, the joke about elder care didn't work for me because it was kinda unrealistic. Anyway, I liked Milhouse's tool to beat it (rating star). I laugh with Lisa's reflection at the end: "That's still the only job that's going to exist. Now we just won't know how to do it.". All the sacrifice and effort was meaningless. Big "lol".

Bart and Lisa such reflect my reaction when I think about my future.

There was a fragile but still enjoyable subplot. It was not anything special, but at least it was coherent and has a significant nexus with the main plot, even helped with its development. It was interesting how scared Homer is about the future, about robotics, about lack of employment in the next years. It implies that Homer can be clever an empathy, and not -just- a gorilla, insensitive as has been characterized earlier this season (that's not bad to Homer, but he has positive sides too). His battle again a soda machine was kinda absurd but, at the same time, uniformly funny. I am not sure why I enjoyed it but I did it. There were some good jokes through the battle of pour soda, like Homer dropping out a glass into the floor, filling other with sudor and drinking a soda from the machine. That was a good montage with a good song accompanying it, at the style of "Canyonero". The scenes from the fourth act show Homer being consumed by technology, rating negatively the delivery service, and another one that proves that he was right about his fear of soda machines, being them literally owners of the world and slaving humans. I liked the callback to Them, Robots at the background because it comes exactly to make useless the victory and shows that the advancement of robotics is practically inevitable. A little gag from the sub-plot that I liked was the utopia of Carl about a future parodying The Jetson. It was nicely animated and it is typical and in-character for him or Lenny.

Homer such reflects my reaction when I spend days trying to spend the machine in a video game or something similar.

All in all, I liked this episode. It may be below-average from Burns standards and below-average from Selman parameters too. But their record is so great that it is still among the best episodes of the season so far. A nice alert to be careful about the future, appeased with humor and some ridiculous moments because it is a comedy.

4/5
    SEASON 31 - RATINGS
    The Winter of Our Monetized Content - 3/5 / Go Big or Go Homer - 2/5 / The Fat Blue Line - 4/5
    Treehouse of Horror XXX - 3/5 / Gorillas on the Mast - 4/5 / Marge the Lumberjill - 2/5
    Livin' La Pura Vida - 5/5 / Thanksgiving of Horror - 5/5 / Todd, Todd, Why Hast Thou Forsaken Me - 3/5
    Bobby, It's Cold Outside - 3/5 / Hail to the Teeth - 2/5 / The Miseducation of Lisa Simpson - 4/5 / Frinkcoin - 2/5 / Bart the Bad Guy - 5/5 / Screenless - 4/5
    Better Off Ned - 1/5 / Highway to Well - 4/5 / The Incredible Lightness of Being a Baby - TBA
    Warrin' Priest TBA / The Hateful Eight-Years-Old - TBA / The Way of the Dog - TBA

Watching this episode I had moments of déjà vu... And for me it's kinda the kids' version of Baby You Can't Drive My Car and I liked that one, however, The Miseducation of Lisa Simpson didn't work that way.

Just another rhetorical episode (like Them, Robot) that performs 'what if' questions about the future - involving jobs or whatever it might be.

3/5
    ⠀⠀

I've fallen way behind this season.

I really enjoyed the extra layer of characterisation given to the Sea Captain at the beginning even though it was barely connected to what followed. I found myself feeling quite engaged with the STEM story for the most part. I was even chuckling every now and again. Not too bad overall. A 3/5 rounded down from a 3.5.
    Last edited by bboynexus; 03-15-2020 at 04:59 PM.
    SEASON 31 GRADES

The Winter of Our Monetized Content - 3/5 / Go Big or Go Homer - 2.5/5 / The Fat Blue Line - 3/5
    Treehouse of Horror XXX - 2/5 / Gorillas on the Mast - 2.5/5 / Marge the Lumberjill - 2/5
    Livin' La Pura Vida - 4.5/5 / Thanksgiving of Horror - 5/5 / Todd, Todd, Why Hast Thou Forsaken Me? - 3.5/5
    Bobby, It's Cold Outside - 2.5/5 / Hail to the Teeth - 2/5 / The Miseducation of Lisa Simpson - 3.5/5
    Frinkcoin - ?/5 / Bart the Bad Guy - ?/5 / Screenless - ?/5 / Better off Ned - ?/5
    Highway to Well - ?/5 / The Incredible Lightness of Being a Baby - ?/5 / Warrin' Priests (Part 1) - ?/5
    Warrin' Priests (Part 2) - ?/5 / The Hateful Eight-Year-Olds - ?/5 / Way of the Dog - ?/5

Would watch again

​B+
    Season 31 Ratings
    The Winter of Our Monetized Content C+ Go Big or Go Homer ​C- The Fat Blue Line ​C+ Treehouse of Horror XXX ​C- Gorillas on the Mast ​B Marge the Lumberjill C- Livin La Pura Vida ​B- Thanksgiving of Horror ​B Todd, Todd, Why Hast Thou Forsaken Me? ​C Bobby It's Cold Outside ​B- Hail to the Teeth ​D- The Miseducation of Lisa Simpson ​B+ Frinkcoin D+ Bart the Bad Guy ​B+ Screenless ​B Better Off Ned ​C- Highway to Well ​C

@Nameless Just a quick remind that Brad Lascelle asks for a rating on a scale from 1 to 5 to the general consensus score (just if you care about it and want to participate)

Thread Information