View Poll Results: Rate?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5

    0 0%
  • 4

    1 16.67%
  • 3

    3 50.00%
  • 2

    1 16.67%
  • 1

    1 16.67%
Results 1 to 6 of 6



Thread: Rate & Review: Duncanville's "Pilot"



(Users Browsing this Thread: )

  1. #1
    Pin Pal
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    California
    Posts
    547
    Blog Entries
    1


    Rate & Review: Duncanville's "Pilot"

    Duncan learns how to drive a car to impress Mia, his friend and crush.

    Episode isn't out yet but wanted to post this before I forgot.

  2. #2
    Remember Me As I Was 1010011010's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    California Coast
    Posts
    7,418
    Blog Entries
    21


    Promising pilot episode, has the fast pacing and humor I'd expect from a Mike Scully/Amy Poehler animated show. Hard to think of any stand out jokes, but I generally felt content watching this. Plot is pretty standard, the ending Duncan giving his parents the tree and being forgiven felt kinda forced, but I can forgive this for a pilot.

    Pretty standard cast of characters (teenage boy, his crazy family and friend circle) but they all seemed likable and easy to expand on, Duncan's apparent movie knowledge and dream sequences being the most unique character trait in the show.

    Animation is okay, better than Bob's Burgers, but not as good as The Simpsons. Slightly above average for a current animated sitcom I'd say. Character designs look like a mixture of a few styles, Groening teeth/overbites, Pendleton Ward noodle bodies/torsos. Duncan even does a Flapjack run for one shot. Visuals are colorful and easy on the eyes, they're fine enough for now.

    Not a great show (yet) but Duncanville certainly has energy and plenty of potential in its colorful cast of characters. Will stick with this for a few more episodes. Thought the same thing after watching Napoleon Dynamite, but hopefully this show actually sticks.

    3/5
    Just because I'm stupider than them, they think they're smarter than me!
    Simpsons Season 27 Ratings:
    Every Man's Dream-4.8/10 Cue Detective-6/10 Puffless-7/10 Halloween of Horror-8.4/10 Treehouse of Horror XXVI-(4.5, 5, 3.5) 4.25/10 Friend With Benefit-5/10 Lisa With An 'S'-5.5/10 Paths of Glory--/10 Barthood--/10 The Girl Code--/10 Teenage Mutant Milk-Caused Hurdles--/10 Much Apu About Something--/10 Gal of Constant Sorrow--/10 Love Is in the N2-O2-Ar-CO2-Ne-He-CH4--/10 Lisa the Veterinarian--/10 The Marge-ian Chronicles--/10 The Burns Cage--/10 How Lisa Got Her Marge Back--/10 Fland Canyon--/10 Simprovised--/10 To Courier With Love--/10 Orange is the New Yellow--/10
    Futurama Season 7B Ratings:
    2-D Blacktop-7.5/10 Fry and Leela's Big Fling-7.9/10 T.: The Terrestrial-8.2/10 Forty Percent Leadbelly-6.8/10 The Inhuman Torch-8.4/10 Saturday Morning Fun Pit-(9, 7, 8.5) 8.2/10 Calculon 2.0-8.7/10 Assie Come Home-8.5/10 Leela and the Genestalk-7.2/10 Game of Tones-9.2/10 Murder on The Planet Express-9/10 Stench and Stenchibility-8.5/10 Meanwhile-9.5/10
    Jumping the Shark since 1998...
    Alternate Ending Winner of NHC Survivor Season 1

  3. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Szyslak100

  4. #3
    Pin Pal
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    California
    Posts
    547
    Blog Entries
    1


    Quote Originally Posted by 1010011010 View Post
    Promising pilot episode, has the fast pacing and humor I'd expect from a Mike Scully/Amy Poehler animated show. Hard to think of any stand out jokes, but I generally felt content watching this. Plot is pretty standard, the ending Duncan giving his parents the tree and being forgiven felt kinda forced, but I can forgive this for a pilot.

    Pretty standard cast of characters (teenage boy, his crazy family and friend circle) but they all seemed likable and easy to expand on, Duncan's apparent movie knowledge and dream sequences being the most unique character trait in the show.

    Animation is okay, better than Bob's Burgers, but not as good as The Simpsons. Slightly above average for a current animated sitcom I'd say. Character designs look like a mixture of a few styles, Groening teeth/overbites, Pendleton Ward noodle bodies/torsos. Duncan even does a Flapjack run for one shot. Visuals are colorful and easy on the eyes, they're fine enough for now.

    Not a great show (yet) but Duncanville certainly has energy and plenty of potential in its colorful cast of characters. Will stick with this for a few more episodes. Thought the same thing after watching Napoleon Dynamite, but hopefully this show actually sticks.

    3/5
    Just added a poll for this one my bad. Also both DV and ND are from Mike Scully so hopefully this one sticks.

  5. #4
    Pin Pal Szyslak100's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Argentina
    Posts
    945



    I was a bit enthusiastic, but it was a disappointing onset. Just the first episode and I already know it is not my kind of show. It contains too much of that extroverted, bizarre, and morbid style that I don't like care for, including jokes about erections and drugs, a guest star randomly appearing without pertinence, and a baby getting a crush on her teenage brother (what?). There is excessive use of pop-culture references too. Duncan was the typical teenage character, being upset when he is along with his family but being fine along with friends. It is a standard situation that does not promise to get out of the parameters. His parents were likable, I guess. They take care of their children and they can explore a lot of parents/son troubles in the future. His sisters were a bit annoying for moments, especially the baby. His friends were quite a bit unremarkable. It stands out the guy who bargains publicity in exchange for free products, but he didn't stand out positively. He is another character that let on me a bad impression. I already have a flabbiness with Mia. The only one I truly liked, not sure why though. She was cheerful and sympathetic, I guess. I have some genuine laughs here and there, but the bunch of jokes we're not contained by a catching story. Just an ordinary conflict about a boy trying to flirt a girl, disobeying his parents trying to get a date. It's fine for a pilot. I was wondering if the ending was going to be as wacky as they were in The Simpsons episodes in the Scully era. It was. Not a problem with that if the rules of the show are established and allows wackiness. Not a good premiere.

    2/5
    Last retrospective: Homer Defined (S03E05)

    My project of rating and reviewing every episode of Rick and Morty (completed!)

    My project of rating and reviewing every episode of BoJack Horseman (last episode: Later)

  6. #5
    Pin Pal
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    California
    Posts
    547
    Blog Entries
    1


    Quote Originally Posted by Szyslak100 View Post

    I was a bit enthusiastic, but it was a disappointing onset. Just the first episode and I already know it is not my kind of show. It contains too much of that extroverted, bizarre, and morbid style that I don't like care for, including jokes about erections and drugs, a guest star randomly appearing without pertinence, and a baby getting a crush on her teenage brother (what?). There is excessive use of pop-culture references too. Duncan was the typical teenage character, being upset when he is along with his family but being fine along with friends. It is a standard situation that does not promise to get out of the parameters. His parents were likable, I guess. They take care of their children and they can explore a lot of parents/son troubles in the future. His sisters were a bit annoying for moments, especially the baby. His friends were quite a bit unremarkable. It stands out the guy who bargains publicity in exchange for free products, but he didn't stand out positively. He is another character that let on me a bad impression. I already have a flabbiness with Mia. The only one I truly liked, not sure why though. She was cheerful and sympathetic, I guess. I have some genuine laughs here and there, but the bunch of jokes we're not contained by a catching story. Just an ordinary conflict about a boy trying to flirt a girl, disobeying his parents trying to get a date. It's fine for a pilot. I was wondering if the ending was going to be as wacky as they were in The Simpsons episodes in the Scully era. It was. Not a problem with that if the rules of the show are established and allows wackiness. Not a good premiere.

    2/5
    Bless the Harts also had a rough start but personally I think it is better. It’s only 10 episodes on the torrents if you wanna give it a watch.
    The Central, King of Harts, Burger-loving, American family guy.

    CROSSING SWORDS SEASON 1 * PILOT 0/5 * EPISODE 2 0.5/5 * EPISODE 3 0/5 * EPISODE 4 0/5 * EPISODE 5 0/5 * EPISODE 6 0.5/5 * EPISODE 7 1/5 * EPISODE 8 2.5/5 * EPISODE 9 3/5 * EPISODE 10 3/5

  7. #6
    Pin Pal Szyslak100's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Argentina
    Posts
    945


    Quote Originally Posted by orangemo View Post
    Bless the Harts also had a rough start but personally I think it is better. It’s only 10 episodes on the torrents if you wanna give it a watch.
    Thank you but not so far. The next show I'm going to watch through Internet outside of Netflix is Bob's Burgers.

  8. Thumbs Up To This Post by: orangemo



Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •