The Blue Files OldSchoolerSimpsons's Avatar
    Blog Entries

What's your favorite non-Simpsons cartoon by the show's writers?

With Mike Scully's Duncanville coming this weekend, I thought it would be timely to discuss some of the animated projects The Simpsons' writers have helmed in the past.

Just to narrow it down a little, I only count concepts that they came up with themselves, not pre-existing properties. Sorry, Ice Age: Dawn Of The Dinosaurs fans.

I'm watching Mission Hill right now, and it's such a great show. It's hard to believe it was only given one season, considering the high quality on the animation, voice acting (especially Kevin) and writing. Even The Critic got at least two!
    Which speaking of, I look forward to watching that some time too.

I might add a poll eventually, but there are so many writers I don't have the energy to research all of them.
    Last edited by OldSchoolerSimpsons; 02-13-2020 at 10:54 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by scully apologist;bt39949
    "KONY 2012"

2. Thumbs Up To This Post by: orangemo

'Futurama', quite easily. I think I've seen rather few of the others, if any (unless it's been a movie or a TV special), but I have a hard time thinking any of them matching up to the adventures of the Planet Express crew. In some ways, I even think that 'Futurama' excels 'The Simpsons' itself.

4. Thumbs Up To This Post by: BartArt

The Blue Files OldSchoolerSimpsons's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Futurama had the benefit of not getting prolonged for an eternity, so it feels very well-rounded and high-quality as a whole. Although I don't think the last season is quite as strong as the others, it's still very good. Game Of Tones is one of the most emotional episodes ever.

Futurama for me. I'm glad that it ended at the just the right time and never over stayed its' welcome. It ended on a high note and there are no limits unlike The Simpsons which is limited.

Quote Originally Posted by sideshow ken View Post
    Futurama for me. I'm glad that it ended at the just the right time and never over stayed its' welcome. It ended on a high note and there are no limits unlike The Simpsons which is limited.
    Personally I can't get into any of the Futurama seasons post hiatus. They're not terrible, but I just think the quality is a big downgrade, even season 5

I have to say that I find the Comedy Central revival era seasons (6 and 7 according to Wikipedia; 5, 6, 7 & 8 according to the DVDs) to be better than they are given credit for. I agree that they are not as high quality as the first four seasons overall, but they are better than the movies and with many really good to great episodes. I'd say that some such as 'The Late Philip J. Fry', 'The Prisoner Of Benda' & 'Murder On The Planet Express' to name a few are nearly or as good as many of the greats from the Fox seasons.

Thread Information