Thread: YT video: "The Moment the Simpsons Ruined Homer Simpson"

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

YT video: "The Moment the Simpsons Ruined Homer Simpson"

I'm a little annoyed by these types of videos, they all follow the same formula. Lo-Fi Hip Hop and a more serious dramatic tone than the subject matter requires.

I don't disagree with some of the points he's making but in his Scully Homer list he writes "5. Mean". I personally don't think that he was any meaner than in the earlier seasons. The thing that bothers me about the more modern Homer is that he's a little too goofy and understanding.. He was always dumb, just in different ways. He didn't act dumb, he just reacted in a dumb manner.
    Last edited by Frankbags; 01-05-2020 at 07:45 PM.

3. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Startug

Pin Pal

Great video. Homer did get meaner and he didn't care on who he hurts. He used to have a heart but now it's gone.

I thought it was weird that the narrator singled out Ian Maxtone-Graham just because of the stupid comments he made, but it was a good video regardless. I don't think Homer is "Jerkass Homer" anymore. I don't get that vibe from any of the episodes in the last couple seasons. There was a time when the writers were trying to make Homer the worst person possible in every episode. Him doing things like destroy Lisa's room just to pay off a debt, leave Bart behind at the boardwalk, or things that were wildly out of character like him skipping his wedding ring over Lake Michigan or framing Marge for a DUI that he caused. I'm glad that version of Homer is dead.

6. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Kangdos

I generally like Nerdstalgic when it talks about what worked with certain shows, but in instances like this, it sorta struggles to be critical with evidence. The timeline discussed is sorta shaky (there was a shake-up in writers during S4-6, and a change in scriptwriting production during S8-9, but unless you’re a knowledgable Simpsons fan (in which case, why do you need this video?) you’d think it’s just tossing out numbers), and it doesn’t cover matters that go any deeper than the annual “Why The Simpsons Declined” essay. Okay video for newbie Simpsons fans on what to expect with the Scully years, but watching the darn show and thinking for oneself is always a more valid option. (Which is why the better Nerdstalgic videos are the more acclaim-heavy ones)

The video raises some good points and is decent overall, but really, there's a lot of broad strokes, a lot of simplification as well as some odd thinking. For example, one was putting such a blame on mainly Ian Maxtone Graham instead of Scully (I actually think it's the first time I've seen someone do that), the panda scene in 'Homer Vs Dignity' being said to be the point of no return for the show's downfall (and maybe Homer as well) & I dunno about prominently citing blogs instead of doing more of an own analysis; it felt like it mostly scratched the surface and, with the lack of better words, a little bit shallow.

I also don't agree with Jerkass Homer becoming a mainstay from that point. There was no doubt a clear shift the Scully era (interesting how he used clips from 'King Of The Hill', a pretty good episode IMO, as an example of Homer going bad) but he's really turned less cartoonishly mean and self-centered once Jean took over. I still don't think he's that cruel even in the modern HD era, but he's still not as he was in the classic era so there is some truth in that.

So not a bad video, but it could be better.

I thought about the video and my comment about homer's meanness while watching Bart's Comet last night before bed..

When they're all in the bunker, homer makes an argument that flanders should be the one to leave the bunker, even if he owns it, homer has always been mean but scully era homer is just ... louder. that's just my opinion.
    Maybe I was a little harsh but most of the videos about the simpsons in this style try and pinpoint the exact moment the simpsons died and they'Re always so dramatic sounding.

10. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Road Rage

Homer in seasons 1-8 would probably never use Lisa as a red flag to taunt a bull, blowdart Mart unconscious, or throw Bart into a lion pit at the zoo. And those are just three examples right off the top of my head.
    Signature.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CousinMerl View Post

I also don't agree with Jerkass Homer becoming a mainstay from that point. There was no doubt a clear shift the Scully era (interesting how he used clips from 'King Of The Hill', a pretty good episode IMO, as an example of Homer going bad) but he's really turned less cartoonishly mean and self-centered once Jean took over. I still don't think he's that cruel even in the modern HD era,
    yeah cus jean made homer way less self centered sure. gimme a break. watch co-dependents day, catch em if you can. watch like any episode

@Sam, I spoke about Homer's character shift going from Scully to Jean more generally. Naturally he still had a lot of those episodes and moments where he was pretty bad and very Scully-era jerkass like (even nowadays in the HD era), but as a whole I've felt that is hasn't been nearly as aggressive nor as commonly often that it was really felt in every other episode so in general, I felt he got a little better after Scully, flawed and on and off at times but an improvement. Just my personal opinion. Feel free to disagree.

This is about as weak as the "The Day Family Guy Died," which just focuses on Brian's "death" a few seasons ago when they could have easily slapped its first or second revival as the day it died.

You're BoJack Horseman, no cure for that.

The mean thing is still stuck in my mind... I've been rewatching season 4 episodes, and the "A streetcar named marge" episode is a good example of the mean, poor husband and father that I know homer for. He was abusive and gas-lighting marge ( the kids joined in as well ). These were real emotions.. it had weight. he's a jerk, he's an asshole.. I've never thought he was any meaner in the modern episodes.. and I think this is because of the tone shift in the simpsons and not homer's characterisation.

Thread Information