Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rating and Reviewing each episode of Rick and Morty.

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Meh 'Interdimensional Cable 2' is one of the weakest episodes. Maybe Bottom 3. Main plot was pretty dull, unfunny and kinda lazy repeat of 'Rixty Minutes' with nothing that really stood out or was any memorable; interdimensional cable should've just had one episode. Subplot about Jerry asked to donate his member to an alien politicial who needs it as a new heart, going back and forth on his decision & having a breakdown when it's too late was a decent concept but boy, it really didn't work and was too puerile and stupid, also turning Jerry into too much of a jerkass (and there's the unfunny shock humor climax with him shot to a bloody pulp while the family screams in horror, followed by him miraculously brought back to life). This one didn't work for me (wasting a spot of an 10 episode season on it feels like a mistake).

LOOK WHO'S PURGING NOW (S02E09)

Look Who's Purging Now is like my little gem of the show. I can understand why most people reject the concept and the development of this episode, but for me, it was great. TOP10 material easily, and with a high-rewatch-value. Maybe, the biggest highlight of this one is in animation. Awesome work from Dominic Polcino and his team. The animation is marvelous. Constant darkness created a great atmosphere for this atrocious episode, and fighting scenes felt almost real. And here is another polarizing point: this was gory, probably the goriest episode of the entire show, maybe excessively violent but, I don't know, I don't have problems with that. It was even funny how those peaceful beings turn out into murderers. Rick and Morty's role was kinda interesting. I loved how they were changing slowly their opinions about the festival, how Rick resulted in the blandest and how Morty was "infected" by the festival. Two characters gave special sustainment to the story: Arthrisha and that old man who does not participate in the festival. The girl was a wonderful character: she seems defenseless at the start, then she betrays Rick and Morty, then she is defenseless again against a thirsty-of-revenge Rick but it is revealed that she is not the antagonist of the story, just the heroine of her world. I loved that character. The other guy was kinda perverse. Yeah, he decided to not participate, and that's sane; but he acts almost like a maniac with Morty and he really gets that impression of a sociopath.
    4/5
    SEASON 31 - RATINGS
    The Winter of Our Monetized Content - 3/5 / Go Big or Go Homer - 2/5 / The Fat Blue Line - 4/5
    Treehouse of Horror XXX - 3/5 / Gorillas on the Mast - 4/5 / Marge the Lumberjill - 2/5
    Livin' La Pura Vida - 5/5 / Thanksgiving of Horror - 5/5 / Todd, Todd, Why Hast Thou Forsaken Me - 3/5
    Bobby, It's Cold Outside - 3/5 / Hail to the Teeth - 2/5 / The Miseducation of Lisa Simpson - 4/5 / Frinkcoin - 2/5 / Bart the Bad Guy - 5/5 / Screenless - 4/5
    Better Off Ned - 1/5 / Highway to Well - 4/5 / The Incredible Lightness of Being a Baby - TBA
    Warrin' Priest TBA / The Hateful Eight-Years-Old - TBA / The Way of the Dog - TBA

I too think that was a nice episode with a good take on the 'Purge' franchise (which I honestly don't care for). Plot about this very peaceful society turning rampaging murderers once a year was interesting and entertaining (despite it having been done before), the heavy violence and gore was justified and made sense (due to the parody angle) & some good scenes throughout. The girl was a decent character but her violent betrayal felt unnecessary and made her a little unlikeable. The ending with the "here we go again was predictable but I didn't really mind. Not one of my favorites but still not bad.

4. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Szyslak100

THE WEDDING SQUANCHERS (S02E10)

Well, another season finale. Definitely, the best of the three that closed their respective seasons, although that prize doesn't mean too much. This one brings back those characters presented in Ricksy Business and develops them a bit during the first half. The first minutes were about the Smiths relating with Rick's friends in the preview of Birdperson and Tammy's wedding: Squanchy and Beth converse about the meaning of the word "squanch", Jerry talking with a strange creature while Beth and Birdperson kept an interesting conversation about Rick's role as father and as a friend... Rick opens his heart to declare his appreciation to Birdperson... Until we suddenly discover that Tanny is an Agent of the Galactic Federation and Rick's friend is killed. The Smith family gets scape from the mess but they become in fugitives, and after a fun family discussion, it starts the best part of the episode: the family looking for a planet to live in. All three of them were hilarious: the planet of cobs that makes the family crazy, the planet of the noisy Sun with days of 42 hours, and the chosen by the family, similar to Earth but many times smaller. That idea allowed some hilarious gags, like the one with Morty playing with a Frisbee or Rick reaching the center of the planet. However, my favorite joke was Rick's quick tour of the world. Probably, one of the best montages from the show. I liked how Rick decided by himself to give him up and how humiliated Jerry in his declaration, and letting a window opened for the premiere of season 3.
    4/5

Nice season finale. I liked the wedding of Birdperson & Tammy and several characters from before returning & it all erupting into chaos once Tammy turns out to be an galactic agent and crashing the wedding with an atack froce was an interesting twist (though the killing of Birdperson felt unnecessary). The second half with the family going into hiding, hopping from weird world to weird world, was the best part with some good humor, dialogue and conflict. Fairly strong finale of Rick turning himself over to galactic authorities (under Jerry's identity). I also liked the post-credit scene of Poopybutthole breaking the fourth wall.
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 03-30-2020 at 01:58 AM.

Fun fact: "The Wedding Squanchers" wasn't supposed to end on a cliffhanger. It was going to end the season as a two-parter, but there was too much material to cover, so they shortened it to one episode, left the resolution for season three and made "Look Who's Purging Now" as a replacement.

I still think season two is the best season of Rick and Morty. The characters start receiving more depth, the comedy is consistently great throughout the season, and a lot of the episodes are ambitious and creative without trying too hard. It's interesting that the worst episodes in the season ("Get Schwifty" and "Interdimensional Cable 2") are the ones that cover old territory or don't have a lot of ambition. "Get Schwifty" is an episode you could see on another show, but "The Ricks Must Be Crazy" is an episode that you could never see on another show.

What makes season two the best season is it has balance, carrying every positive quality of the show that gives it the reputation it has. If I wanted someone to understand why people love Rick and Morty so much, I would show them this season first.
    Last edited by Dr. Nihilistic; 03-28-2020 at 05:23 PM.

8. Thumbs Up To This Post by: MDB, Szyslak100

I too would say that season 2 is the best one so far. It does have a couple of the worst of the series but is still fairly strong with some good stories and ideas (even if some aren't executed perfectly). I've seen a lot of voices saying that season 1 was the best (and maybe the only good one) but I disagree; season 2 was pretty much the perfect evolution of what came in the previous season and had some of the best stuff ('A Rickle In Time' and 'Total Rickall' are two of the best). Season 3 had some solid episodes and ideas too but was sort of a step-down in many areas.

Junior Camper

Quote Originally Posted by CousinMerl View Post
    I too would say that season 2 is the best one so far. It does have a couple of the worst of the series but is still fairly strong with some good stories and ideas (even if some aren't executed perfectly). I've seen a lot of voices saying that season 1 was the best (and maybe the only good one) but I disagree; season 2 was pretty much the perfect evolution of what came in the previous season and had some of the best stuff ('A Rickle In Time' and 'Total Rickall' are two of the best). Season 3 had some solid episodes and ideas too but was sort of a step-down in many areas.
    Season 3 fell flat near the second half. I found myself lost watching the finale.

When it is about the general performance about Rick and Morty's seasons, I don't see considerable changes to select one of them as the best of the show. The first three seasons has their merits: season one is the most respectful with the show's propose (Rick and Morty haveing weird adventures through the universe); season two is when the show reaches the most quantity of highlights; and season 3 is maybe the most consistent of them (it falls down a bit during the ending but the below-average episodes are not as bad). I think I'd pick season 2 as the best, although there is not a big difference between them.

Thread Information