Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rating and Reviewing each episode of Rick and Morty.

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Rating and Reviewing each episode of Rick and Morty.

This is a project I wanted to start since I finished the first season of the show and, after the release of the first part of season 4, I have enough enthusiasm to finally write at least the review of the first episode. I can't promise regularity but I assure you these reviews won't be as extensive as those I write for episodes of The Simpsons, at least.

If you want to criticize my comments or review for yourself each episode, feel free to do it!
    SEASON 32 - RATINGS

Undercover Burns - ?/5 / I, Carambus - ?/5 / Now Museum, Now You Don't - ?/5 / Treehouse of Horror XXXI - ?/5

PILOT (S01E01)

The first episode of a TV show has three main functions: present the protagonists and other peripheral characters, establish the style of the series and catch casual watchers. This one fulfilled the work in all aspects. Rick is an alcoholic, manipulator, selfish but incredibly smart and wise guy. While Morty, his grandson, is pretty limited but useful in the adventures of Rick. Both had a perverse relationship where the grandpa takes advantage of his grandson. The rest of the family also suffers from the presence of Rick. Jerry and Beth had a discussion about the future of Rick, and Summer had to deal with the sudden death of Frank, a bully he liked to. Jessica, Mr. Goldenfold and Principal Vagina did their debut here too. Talking about the style of the show, we can see how they are politically incorrect, doing comments against school and bureaucracy. We knew a lot of strange creatures in the dimension 35C that get my biggest laughs. The story has had plot-twists that one can not predict but that are resolved quickly thanks to an invent of Rick. I loved the ending, with Rick chatting while Morty is agonizing on the floor. It practically became in a tradition of opening seasons. And I enjoy the structure of the story, with a strong main plot stared for Rick and Morty in a strange adventure and the rest of the family involved in a normal situation. It was not as epic as others, but it's interesting anyway. Talking about the function of catching casual watchers, I'll just say I'm one of them.
    3/5
    Last edited by Szyslak100; 03-24-2020 at 09:41 AM.

Nice idea. Reminds me of the first watchthrough @Financial Panther did of Futurama some years back, which got a thread sorta like this. Good luck on this episode-to-episode review series. I only got around to watch the series this year so I remember most of the episodes and will probably make a few comments every now and then.

The first episode was decent to me. It did it's job well setting up the characters and the premise but wasn't anything too good and didn't really stand out as memorable or a great start like 'Simpsons Roasting On An Open Fire' or 'Space Pilot 3000'. I found that it took some episodes before the series found itself.

4. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Szyslak100

Quote Originally Posted by CousinMerl View Post
    Nice idea. Reminds me of the first watchthrough @Financial Panther did of Futurama some years back, which got a thread sorta like this. Good luck on this episode-to-episode review series. I only got around to watch the series this year so I remember most of the episodes and will probably make a few comments every now and then.
    Thank you for the good vibes! Rate and Review all episodes of Futurama is also in my pending list. But there are a lot of episodes and I know I probably won't be capable. Rick and Morty motivates me because there are only 36 episodes, with others upcoming -which do it even more interesting-.

The first episode was decent to me. It did it's job well setting up the characters and the premise but wasn't anything too good and didn't really stand out as memorable or a great start like 'Simpsons Roasting On An Open Fire' or 'Space Pilot 3000'. I found that it took some episodes before the series found itself.
    I agree with you. Futurama and The Simpsons had a better start. Space Pilot 3000 is probably one of the best pilots of all time.

LAWNMOWER DOG (S01E02)

If I had to define this in one word, that would be: overloaded. Both plots had too much potential to be part of the same episode. And although I enjoyed them, I have the sensation they could get more juice from it. The concept of dogs being owners of the world and treating humans as sometimes we treat them was fantastic. It was a perfect social criticism. It invites us to reflect on that situation with scenes like the one where Snuggle/Snowball comes to rub Jerry's face in urine or the simple fact we have them locked. The secondary story is a parody of Inception. I don't see why it "doesn't have sense" as Rick said. I don't know if that makes me a Morty or what. Anyhow, it is just a compilation of weird dreams of some characters explored for the superficial goal of Rick of Morty getting an 'A' on Math. I found the scene of Summer seducing Morty extremely perturbing. The Centaur's dream has a great atmosphere, while the character of Scray Terry got a great development showing two different sides: one genuinely scary but other sensible and likable. There was a great job creating sets, dreams and new characters. I don't have problems with the parody, except for the questionable management of times. I am not sure about how did dogs to conquest the entire world while Rick was exploring dreams. They only were absent for minutes in the real world. If I want to see an animated parody of Inception, I'd watch How I Wet Your Mother. This one was great too, but The Simpsons managed even better the concept.
    4/5

'Lawnmower Dog' was kinda okay but a little overloaded like you said. The super intelligent dog plot was decent and an pretty well executed idea but the subplot I barely recall aside from the Scary Terry parts.

8. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Szyslak100

ANATOMY PARK (S01E03)

Rick and Morty has many likenesses with other animated TV shows. Sci-fi adventures like Futurama, satires/parodies like The Simpsons, deep reflections about everything that we also see in Bojack Horseman, dark humor worthy of South Park and, sometimes, it has an excentrical but banal content too much similar than any Seth MacFarlane's show. You know, that focused on taboo themes, explored in a twisted and uncomfortable manner. The Family Guy-facet of the show is the one I dislike the most, especially when it is extended beyond some jokes. That's precisely what the subplot of this episode is about. I don't expect a warm Christmas story from Rick and Morty, of course, but a story where Jerry's parents, Leonard and Joyce, are rediscovering themselves with a third member in their marriage who supplants Leonard in the couple, while he watches them making the love dressed like Superman, it's just bizarre. The critics about how we use technological apparatus are there for a no discernible reason. I liked Summer's interventions, though. On the other side, the main plot is pretty random. I never could connect with the story. No biggest complaints with this part. I just am not a fan of the concept. It had their great moments, like Rick's obsession with Pirates of the Pancreas, and all the characters who are within Reuben were pretty likable. I liked Morty's relationship with Annie and how Rick ruined it suddenly. I'll round up in these cases because the main problem is mine, not of the episode.
    3/5

M. NIGHT SHAYM-ALIENS (S01E04)

What an incredible use of the concept of simulation. It permitted many jokes that made me laugh. Those little failures of the fake-world were always amusing, especially the one of pop tart living and conducting a toaster. But not only those kinds of bugs were funny, Rick's paranoia, Morty's incredulity and both being naked to avoid Zigerion's observation were it too. This was the episode that convinced me that Rick is unbeatable. I have to be honest, I thought he would lose this battle. But actually, he seemed to be disorientated although he always has a better move than the one executed by the Zigerions. They created an ambitious plan to get the formula of concentrated dark matter but they weren't successful because Rick was always aware of what was happening. Just as Rick said when he was taking a shower with Morty. I just enjoyed their tense and uneven rivalry. The simulation inside another simulation gave us some fine plot-twists. As I said, I couldn't anticipate the end this time. However, although I liked this Rick and Morty's adventure, all the reflectors go to Jerry enjoying the most meaningful day of his life in a simulation working in the minimum capacity. It was an excellent use of the character. Only he is capable of don't realize something as notorious. Every single gag on the sub-plot was memorable because the idea of the plot was perfect: Radio Earth, his interactions with Beth, the confession and the revindication with Mr. Marklevitz, who only say "yes", and also the award's ceremony. So far, the best one.
    4/5
    Last edited by Szyslak100; 01-26-2020 at 07:42 AM.

'Anatomy Park' was pretty decent from what I recall. The Jurassic Park parody (which also really reminded me of 'Parasites Lost' of Futurama) was memorable though I didn't care for the subplot about Jerry's parents (which really never went anywhere and it did feel like such an crass 'Family Guy' aspect, but the show's later obsession with edgy shock humor like excessive violence and gore are worse).

'M. Night Shaym-Aliens' was okay, though it's one that I don't recall extremely much about aside from the aliens. For some reason I thought that it felt a little generic in a sense and while it had some nice bits it came across as one of the more forgettable episodes despite not being a bad one; it just blurs together in my mind. To me, the series wasn't quite there yet with this one.

12. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Szyslak100

'M. Night Shaym-Aliens' was okay, though it's one that I don't recall extremely much about aside from the aliens. For some reason I thought that it felt a little generic in a sense and while it had some nice bits it came across as one of the more forgettable episodes despite not being a bad one; it just blurs together in my mind. To me, the series wasn't quite there yet with this one.
    I agree with you about it is forgettable. I not even remembered what this episode was about until Rick and Morty were naked. Although I've already watched it twice, watch it to write the review was almost like a new experience to me. Anyway, I truly enjoyed it, I laughed a lot and I was surprised with the resolution.

MEESEEKS AND DESTROYS (S01E05)

This show is constantly innovating. It doesn't have a big repertory or a series of places where characters go repeatedly. Each episode creates its own universe and their own elements that identified itself. Among those creations, maybe, the most iconic is the meeseeks' box. Everything about them is fantastic. Every single detail worked perfectly. Their voice, their appearance, their catchphrase (who didn't say: "I'm Mr. Meeseek, look at me"?). There was a good story that justified their presence. It was two smart factors that were useful to the story: the desire of Jerry, which is supposed to be the easiest, becomes in the hardest, and the fact that the existence is like a punishment to meeseeks. That gives us an interesting plot and helped to find an accurate story for those creatures. I loved Beth's development too. But anyway, and being totally honest, if this episode would be entirely about meeseeks discussing among them I would be completely satisfied too. That gag when they discuss what to do with Jerry and who was responsible for calling the other one was hilarious. Oh yeah, and although nobody cares about it (?) there was a plot that involves Rick and Morty too. This time, the adventure is led by Morty, which started with a fresh tradition, where the boy will choose one adventure in ten. And, although it could sound hypocritical after what I said in my review of Anatomy Park, my favorite part about it was the rapist King. His scene with Morty in the bathroom was excessively tough, but the idea was kinda funny. The first perfect episode.
    5/5
    Last edited by Szyslak100; 01-26-2020 at 07:43 AM.

First really good episode of the show to me (or at least the first one that stood out as really memorable). I believe the Meeseeks plot is one of the best ones they did; it's such a quirky and creative concept with a fun and interesting execution (also a good role for Jerry). The subplot with Morty getting to pick the next adventure was an decent one (I liked the fairytale land setting and all), though as opposed to you the stuff about the psychopath rapist jellybean guy was my least favorite part; it just felt excessively dark and edgy for the sake of it and also tried to be funny (that bathroom scene was one of the most uncomfortable scenes of the entire show and I'd say it has had relatively few of those; rape isn't funny). Aside from that one aspect it was good.

First really good episode of the show to me (or at least the first one that stood out as really memorable). I believe the Meeseeks plot is one of the best ones they did; it's such a quirky and creative concept with a fun and interesting execution (also a good role for Jerry). The subplot with Morty getting to pick the next adventure was an decent one (I liked the fairytale land setting and all), though as opposed to you the stuff about the psychopath rapist jellybean guy was my least favorite part; it just felt excessively dark and edgy for the sake of it and also tried to be funny (that bathroom scene was one of the most uncomfortable scenes of the entire show and I'd say it has had relatively few of those; rape isn't funny). Aside from that one aspect it was good.
    There's a very low chance that the rape scene was supposed to be funny. There weren't any jokes in that scene and everything is played straight. Morty was in a legitimately dangerous situation and he was clearly psychologically affected by it, to the point where he was begging Rick to go home because he didn't think the adventure was worth it anymore. Plus, Rick figured out what happened in the bathroom and killed King Jellybean.

@Dr. Nihilistic, I was actually thinking more about it after posting (the other day in fact) and decided that I was more sure that it was actually played seriously and more for drama (though the intercutting between the assault and Rick in the bar doing karaoke or whatever was jarring), but I did kinda like the rest with the trauma making Morty regret picking this adventure and wanting to go back home & Rick shooting the villain was satisfying.

Still, I think the rape assault was too much and crossed a line. It would've been so much better with Morty getting beaten up and mugged instead (and still worked just as good) but that's probably just me.

RICK POTION #9 (S01E06)

Just the sixth episode and the apocalypse already becomes a reality. Everything because Morty wanted to get Jessica, once again. Most of the main story is not something to care about. It was decent, but nothing special. It has some great stuff: Jerry, Morty and Rick's conversation about girls, Rick creating many potions with strange elements, and he and Morty discussing who was truly responsible for the disaster. The concept was crazy, but too much superficial. It was funny to see Morty being pretended by everyone, though. The way to finish this main plot was what makes this episode shine a lot and it was the reason because it's one of the most memorable from the first season. The unexpected death of who we thought were Rick and Morty, the trauma of the boy and the Cronenberg version of the characters arriving at the perfect place for them. Rick and Morty burying Rick and Morty was an iconic scene for me. There was a great choice to musicalize the moment too. I have a small complaint about this: Rick fails too much for who is supposed to be the smartest person in the universe. There were some dozen of Ricks smarter (or luckier) than him in this situation. The subplot has not too many moments, but what we have about it was pretty funny. Jerry surviving the end of the world was fantastic. He brings out his most valiant side and protects the women of his family. The atmosphere of the post-apocalyptic world was great.
    4/5

I liked that one. Not great but a good and memorable episode. I really liked how it came togeher with an fairly standard love potion plot and it gradually escalating out of control and everything getting increasingly worse & it turning out so bad that they had to evacuate to an pararell universe where everything was normal (that existential ending was great and the last bit with Morty on the couch was pretty funny).

The subplot with Jerry stepping up was pretty decent and interesting but too bad that they never got to follow up on his character development due to the ending effectively swapping the family out, though the references to this episode later on were pretty well handled (though I was disappointed with the revisit to this "Cronenberg" universe; felt like they could have done more with that instead of some one off joke, but I get that the show is not known for utilizing prior plot elements too often or all too well).

The thing is, did this episode come out at the right time? Having it come this early on in the series I felt undid prior character developments (such as that for Jerry) so maybe they should have had it be the first or second episode? I dunno.
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 01-04-2020 at 02:09 AM.

The thing is, did this episode come out at the right time? Having it come this early on in the series I felt undid prior character developments (such as that for Jerry) so maybe they should have had it be the first or second episode? I dunno.
    I never thought about that but it might be great if we would know a different version of Jerry, Beth and Summer before know their definitive characterization. Something like a brave, winner Jerry or Beth being people surgeon, for example. But then Rick and Morty change of reality and they go to one that is worse than the original. It would be a tremendous card to present the show and it would be awesome in hindsight. Great observation, @CousinMerl

@Szyslak100, is really the alternate dimension Rick & Morty settled in worse than the original one they ruined and left in this episode? I don't remember if the relationship of Jerry and Beth was as heavily dysfunctional in the original (I think Beth was a horse surgeon in both) but it felt cheap letting Jerry become heroic but then the lead duo permanently jumps to another dimension, undoing that development and whatever happened to Jerry, Beth & Summer in previous episodes since the new family is a new one of a different world (that might be worse than the old one used to be), though then again, it was probably a good thing they didn't wait too long until doing this episode.

Nevertheless, they could have done more with the orginal family than just relegating them to cave people who only appeared in one further episode as window dressing of sorts who didn't matter to the plot. It's like the original family doesn't matter anymore but then again, the show has a very nihilistic outlook on things so I get why they don't care about them anymore.

@Szyslak100, is really the alternate dimension Rick & Morty settled in worse than the original one they ruined and left in this episode?
    Oh no no, they are the same characters. What I tried to say is that the writers could manage better the concept of multiple dimensions presenting determined characters in the first episodes and then, with Rick and Morty leaving that dimension, showing the definitive version of them since the second episode.

In retrospective, it would be funny if we would know a smart Jerry but after the first episode he turn out in a stupid, for example.

@Szyslak100, Oh, that makes sense. That concept could have been expanded upon but I dunno, maybe it would've been a bit too complex and convoluted to do, even if it could be interesting and add to the overall series. As for your second point, it could be an amusing thing with the differing Jerry's but it could get out of hand with the show's overall poor treatment of the character with the bullying, degradation and humiliation as the punching bag he is (which was gradually turned up as the show went on, now being at almost extreme levels).

RAISING GAZORPAZORP (S01E07)

It is strange when this show takes the easy way. But this episode didn't even have a satire. It is neither a letter of love to feminism nor a strong critic against it nor a neutral posture against both sides. It is plenty of comments like "hey, men are better than women!" or "no! women are better than men!" and that is incredibly apathetic for a deep, clever TV show. Yeah, I have to admit that some of them were really funny, principally thanks to Rick's sarcasm and Summer's feminism. From the males' side, the funniest moment was Marsha accepting how simple was the plan to kill Rick. From the females' side, I laughed out loud when they banish a baby boy. But there were some other jokes that didn't work to me, like the speech: "I am here if you need to talk" or all the affair of farts. Also, the story was uninteresting. I really didn't care about gazorpazorps. Plus, the conflict was solved with an easy twist: the top of Summer was a resource that didn't generate an effect on me because it came from nowhere and it was a bit abrupt. Morty's subplot was much better. One of the biggest advantages of this show is that it can explore absurd and complex situations, returning to the normality immediately. Here, Morty is the father of a creature from another planet, who needs to kill and destroy everything. He has to learn the paternity to bring up a kind of monster. I enjoyed those strange father/son moments, like the threat that the air is poisoning. The gag of Beth and Jerry criticizing Morty's decisions was great and it is funny that he turned out in a bad father. Still, it ilone of my least favorite episode from season 1.
    2/5
    Last edited by Szyslak100; 03-24-2020 at 09:46 AM.

Very meh episode. I just couldn't bring myself to care for this one. I guess the story concept isn't too bad (and the aspect of this an alien species with a big difference between the genders utilizing this female sex-bot for the males was original) but it did feel like they didn't really know didn't what to really do with the plot and it never really rose to anything that special, just being pretty dull; felt like they could have done much more with it. The Rick & Summer plot was weak (bordering on forgettable) & Morty's subplot wasn't much better and predictable (and I didn't care for the Gazorpazorp species nor Morty Jr). Some decent jokes and moments but overall not so good. One of the weakest Season 1 episodes.

RIXTY MINUTES (S01E08)

Rick and Morty watching TV. That's what it is about. I don't know how, but it was great besides the simple idea. The irrefutable proof of how huge is the ground action of this show. Some of the programs they watch in their inter-dimensional TV makes me laugh, because they were conceptually brilliant: Quick mystery, Ball Fondlers (just for the title), the fantastic commercial of Strawberry Sniggles, detective Babylegs and the Hamster in Butt World were my favorites. And, of course, the entire Two Brothers-montage, which was completely hilarious and the best one to me. All of them were kinda absurd but genuinely amusing. There were other programs/commercials that didn't call my attention at all, principally those whose content depended on sexual or gross ideas, like the guy eating shit, the muscular mannies one or that Mrs. Sullivan story. Other clips that I didn't mention were fine, but nothing special, I mean, clips to fill time but don't surprise and were not memorable at all. The sub-plot gives the episode a few consistency. It has a great start, with a version of Jerry appearing on TV as a consolidated star. And a fantastic resolution, either for Jerry and Beth, with they finding the same reality through different ways, emitting a great message about how we can regret about our decisions, and for Summer, thanks to that callback to Rick Potion #9 and that nice speech from Morty about what we are.
    4/5

Maybe the very definition of an filler episode and quite inconsequential to the overall series, but I enjoyed it despite the non-existent plot and the clip show mentality with the various interdimensional show clips (several of which was rather amusing, but yeah, the juvenile ones weren't so good). Decent little diversion episode (and way better than it's later sequel).

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

Rixty Minutes is one of my favorites, despite not being a huge fan of Rick and Morty.

Some nice reviews here, are you planning on doing each season or just the first?

Quote Originally Posted by Bart's New Voice Actor View Post
    Some nice reviews here, are you planning on doing each season or just the first?
    My idea is to write a review for every episode of the show!

I like Rixty Minutes more than I do most concept episodes of any show, where they fill it up with random ideas. It's a mildly clever way to fit those tiny ideas that don't deserve 20 minutes of screentime, and some of the badly-improved dialogue is amusing. 4/5

You're BoJack Horseman, no cure for that.

32. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Szyslak100

"Rixty Minutes" is one of those episodes that make me wish I had started watching the show from the beginning. Ants in My Eyes Johnson, Two Brothers, Gazorpazorpfield, Strawberry Smiggles....all of those segments are classic. The idea is really simple, but they were able to get so much out of it. I think it's still possible they can top it, but they probably don't want to put themselves in that position again.

34. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Szyslak100

SOMETHING RICKED THAT WAY COMES (S01E09)
    I would never guess the Devil is part of this show's cast. You know, Rick had said in Pilot that "There is no God" and that seems accurate for the style of the series. But not every mystical being ran the same destiny. Furthermore, curses are possible. Until this episode, everything was sustained by fictional science, but they did a 180 turn here, open the doors to magic, spells and that kind of thing for the future. Personally, I'm not a fan of these things. And it was not the exception, besides Rick won the absurd battle against the Devil with the minimum effort. It is not clear what Rick's ambition is to affront the Devil and why he cares about Summer, it has some over-long gags like Rick numbering some cursed objects, and it has a ridiculous ending with Rick and Summer training and then hitting the Devil (also of becoming in a kind of super-hero in post-credit scenes). Some good jokes tried to save it and to improve a weak effort. I enjoyed the appearance of Mr. Goldenfold and I value the effort to get out of the already classics Rick/Morty adventures, but it might be a lot better. On the other hand, the sub-plot was the absolute opposite of the main one. It was kinda funny and catching. Jerry brights again, thanks to his fragile argument about Pluto. Powerful creatures from Pluto use him to lies the population in a correct reflection of reality. The reason they found to explain why Pluto is not a planet anymore was fantastic. With a few errors, it was much better than Rick/Summer adventure.
    3/5

Thread Information