Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rate & Review: "Bobby, It's Cold Outside" (ZABF01)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Chatting Simpsons Since '93 Brad Lascelle's Avatar

Rate & Review: "Bobby, It's Cold Outside" (ZABF01)

Season 31, Episode 10
    Original Airdate: December 15, 2019
    Writers: Jeff Westbrook & John Frink
    Director: Steven Dean Moore
    Showrunner: Al Jean
    Synopsis: Sideshow Bob gets contracted as this year's mall Santa. Meanwhile, someone is stealing all the Christmas packages off people's front porches.

Previous R&R
    Next R&R

INDUSTRY REVIEWS
    - The A.V. Club - Dennis Perkins - C
    - Den of Geek - Tony Sokol - 3.5 / 5
    - Bubble Blabber - Jesse Bereta - 7.5 / 10
    - Puzzled Pagan Presents - Patrick Gaertner
    - Me Blog Write Good - Mike Amato
    - Phil Payton {YouTube} - C-

SIMPSONS REDDIT DISCUSSION THREAD

TV VIEWERSHIP - 1.7 Rating / 8 Share - 4.97 Million Viewers {#1 RATED SCRIPTED SHOW ON TV FOR THE WEEK}

R&R Poll Average Score: 2.83 / 5 (as of January 17th / 18 votes)

Users Who Have Voted & Their Score for the Episode
    angeldeb82 {4} / bboynexus {2} / BloodySimpsonChibi {3} / Brad Lascelle {3} / CousinMerl {3} / Financial Panther {2} / Frankbags {3} / Homer Samson {3}
    John95 {3} Kaine {3} / Mikesuper26 {2} / Nitsy {2} / orangemo {4} / Shoskin {2} / Szyslak100 {4} / Venomrabbit {3} / Wile E. the Brain {2} / wiley207 {3}

IMDB User Rating: 6.9 / 10 (as of February 17th / 221 users)
    Last edited by Brad Lascelle; 02-17-2020 at 04:45 PM.
    SEASON 31 RANKINGS
    The Winter of Our Monetized Content - 1.5/5 / Go Big or Go Homer - 2.5/5 / The Fat Blue Line - 3.5/5
    THOH XXX = Danger Things - 2.5/5 / Heaven Swipes Right - 1.5/5 / When Hairy Met Slimy - 2/5
    Gorillas on the Mast - 3.5/5 / Marge the Lumberjill - 2/5 / Livin' la Pura Vida - 5/5
    THANKSGIVING OF HORROR = A-Gobble-ypto - 3/5 / The Fourth Thursday After Tomorrow - 5/5 / The Last Thanksgiving - 3.5/5
    Todd, Todd, Why Hast Thou Forsaken Me? - 3.5/5 / Bobby, It's Cold Outside - 2.5/5 / Hail to the Teeth - 1.5/5
    The Miseducation of Lisa Simpson - 2/5 / Frinkcoin - 3/5 / Maggie Simpson In "Playdate with Destiny" - 4/5
    Bart the Bad Guy - 5/5 / Screenless - 2/5 / Better Off Ned - 2.5/5 / Highway to Well - 4/5

2. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Szyslak100

How long are these production cycles?

leave it to the simpsons to try and stay "current" by trying to cash in on whatever was trending a year ago.. baby shark? bird box? decoy packages? that's like the evil clown bit a year or two ago.

anyway, this was a pretty solid sideshow bob episode. There were some really enjoyable shots in this episode, it had all the hallmarks of a christmas episode and a decent plot as well.
    I'm contemplating giving it a 3.5 but I don't think it's strong enough to round up so I have no other choice but to round it down to a 3/5

Blog Entries

I wasn’t really feeling this one. It lacked a lot of that classic Bob luster, and much like in The Italian Bob, I don’t like the idea of Bob having a girlfriend or wife. It’s just not his style. There were some adequate jokes, but it wasn’t as good on that front as most Bob episodes, even most modern Bob episodes. Instead, it tried to cram in a story where someone was stealing gifts and tried to create a Burns tearjerker at the end. It didn’t really work for me, though, and it’s a stark contrast to his parents in Rosebud. I’m not a stickler for continuity, but I preferred child Burns who cared more about money than his parents’ love. Here, he just appeared as a depressed, feeble man who was starved of his parents’ love, and a little speech from Bob made it all better. A below-average episode. 2/5

Also, what was with that Baby Shark thing? I remember singing that at a school campout in sixth grade. Did it become popular?
    Favorite and least favorite by season
    1. Krusty Gets Busted There’s No Disgrace Like Home 2. Bart Gets an F Dead Putting Society 3. Homer at the Bat Like Father, Like Clown 4. Brother From the Same Planet Krusty Gets Kancelled 5. Cape Feare Lady Bouvier’s Lover 6. Homer Badman Another Simpsons Clip Show 7. King-Size Homer Lisa the Iconoclast 8. Homer’s Enemy El Viaje Misterioso de Nuestro Jomer 9. Bart Carny The Trouble With Trillions 10. Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo Homer Simpson in: “Kidney Trouble” 11. Guess Who’s Coming to Criticize Dinner? Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder 12. HOMЯ Tennis the Menace 13. Tales From the Public Domain She of Little Faith 14. The Dad Who Knew Too Little Helter Shelter 15. I, Annoyed Grunt)-bot Bart-Mangled Banner 16. A Star is Torn On a Clear Day I Can’t See My Sister 17. My Fair Laddy Bonfire of the Manatees 18. The Haw-Hawed Couple You Kent Always Say What You Want 19. Funeral for a Fiend All About Lisa 20. Gone Maggie Gone The Good, the Sad and the Drugly 21. The Bob Next Door The Color Yellow 22. Donnie Fatso Love is a Many Strangled Thing 23. The Falcon and the D’ohman A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again 24. Hardly Kirk-ing Moonshine River 25. The War of Art What to Expect When Bart’s Expecting 26. Sky Police Let’s Go Fly a Coot 27. Halloween of Horror Lisa With an ‘S’ 28. There Will Be Buds Moho House 29. Springfield Splendor Throw Grampa From the Dane

I'll start with some things to note:
    * It threw me off a bit to hear Cassandra's name pronounced that way as the only other place I've heard it said like that is on Rapunzel's Tangled Adventure. As for the character, I'd be fine with her returning in a later episode.
    * It was weird to see the pre-HD footage cropped to 16:9 after the last time they did it (or at least as far as I remember) in Flander's Ladder retained it's original 4:3 aspect ratio.
    * The whole Baby Shark bit shows how out of touch I am with current pop culture (despite only being 24) as that was my first time ever hearing that song (not even the original version).
    * I dunno if it's just me but it sure has been awhile since we've last seen Smithers & Burns.
    * The first part of the act 4 scene with Bob & Cassandra was nice, but the latter with Burns & Ballmer (who looks like a younger version of Chalmers) was pointless and dragged a little.

I honestly didn't care much for the original episode from two years ago that this continues off of, so I'd consider this to be a Surprisingly Improved Sequel since I didn't go into this one with much expectations and yet they were exceeded.

Don't really have much more to say other than that this was possibly the best Christmas episode the show's put out since Holidays of Future Passed and like Marge the Lumberjill (which I appear to be in a minority on) I can see myself revisiting this episode, preferably a round the same time next year.

3/5
    Family Guy Season 18 Ratings - Yacht Rocky: 1.5/5 Bri-Da: 2.5/5 Absolutely Babulous: 1.5/5 Disney's The Reboot: 1.5/5 Cat Fight: 1.5/5 Peter & Lois' Wedding: .5/5 Heart Burn: 1.5/5 Shanksgiving: .5/5 Christmas is Coming: 2/5 Connie's Celica: 0/5 Short Cuts: 2/5 Undergrounded: 1.5/5 Rich Old Stewie: 3.5/5 The Movement: .5/5 Baby Stewie: 0/5 Start Me Up: TBD Coma Guy: TBD
    American Dad! Season 16 Ratings - 100 Years a Solid Fool: TBD Downtown: TBD 4/27/20: TBD A Starboy is Born: TBD

Quote Originally Posted by Financial Panther View Post
    Also, what was with that Baby Shark thing? I remember singing that at a school campout in sixth grade. Did it become popular?
    Yeah, it became popular again thanks to YouTube, to the point where it's actually on this year's Billboard Hot 100 year end list.

@John95

in the epilogue scene I thought it was chalmers... I actually had to remind myself that steve balmer was doing a guest voice on this episode, it looks nothing like him.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by John95 View Post
    Yeah, it became popular again thanks to YouTube, to the point where it's actually on this year's Billboard Hot 100 year end list.
    Not to mention that Baby Shark was on YouTube Main, which is currently under attack by COPPA and is about to change forever on January 1, where it will be labeled as "for kids" and hidden from view without ads, comments, etc. (Baby Shark should have been on YouTube Kids, for all I know.)

https://www.pcgamer.com/youtubes-ftc...ries-creators/

Anyways, I saw the episode, and I chuckled a bit at some funny parts. The one gripe is what happened to Selma Bouvier after the real culprit has been found. And I was pretty surprised to hear Bob and his girlfriend's own version of "Baby, It's Cold Outside" (which is now 75 years old but hasn't aged well due to the controversy and the #MeToo movement). Otherwise, it's pretty good. 4/5

Hercules Rockefeller Homer Samson's Avatar

This was a 3/5. And you should count it as that. But the use of Baby Shark makes it a personal -5/5
    Best and Worst Episode per Season:
    1: Krusty Gets Busted/Homer's Night Out 2: One Fish, Two Fish, Blowfish, Blue Fish/Bart's Dog Gets an 'F' 3: Bart the Murderer/Saturdays of Thunder 4: Homer the Heretic/So Its Come To This: A Simpsons Clip Show 5: Cape Feare/Lady Bouvier's Lover 6: Homie the Clown/Another Simpsons Clip Show 7: Raging Abe Simpson and his Grumbling Grandson in " The Curse of the Flying Hellfish"/Scenes From the Class Struggle in Springfield 8: The Springfield Files/The Old Man and the Lisa 9: The City of New York vs. Homer Simpson/Miracle on Evergreen Terrace 10: Mayored to the Mob/Homer Simpson in: Kidney Trouble 11: Grift of the Magi/Eight Misbehavin' 12: Trilogy of Error/I'm Goin' to Praiseland 13: The Blunder Years/The Lastest Gun in the West 14: Moe Baby Blues/The Strong Arms of the Ma 15: My Mother the Carjacker/Co-Dependent's Day 16: The Heartbroke Kid/Homer and Ned's Hail Mary Pass 17: The Seemingly Never-Ending Story/The Bonfire of the Manatees 18: The Mook, The Chef, The Wife, and Her Homer/The Boys of Bummer 19: Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind/Husbands and Knives 20: Gone Maggie Gone/Lisa the Drama Queen 21: The Squirt and the Whale/The Greatest Story Ever D'ohed 22: Homer Scissorhands/The Fight Before Christmas 23: The Book Job/Lisa Goes Gaga 24: The Saga of Carl/Love is a Many-Splintered Thing 25: Brick Like Me/What to Expect When Bart's Expecting 26: Sky Police/The Musk Who Fell to Earth 27: Barthood/Every Man's Dream 28: 22 for 30/The Caper Chase 29: Flanders' Ladder/Singin' in the Lane 30: Woo-hoo Dunnit?/I Want You (She's So Heavy)

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

There's a photo of the family right before the epilogue "signed" "Merry Christmas from The Simpsons," just like in the Christmas Special, which has its 30th anniversary two days from now.

Isn't Burns being a young child in 1935 a retcon? Then again, it would fit with his being in the Flying Hellfish in WWII.

"Baby What?" My sister came in and heard them singing it and had to explain it and I still have no idea what the hell she was talking about or the point of the song.

The writers parody of "Baby It's Cold Outside" was interesting as it is the only way the song deserves to be rewritten, not by a bunch of oversensitive neanderthal who get offended by the word "boo." But this is the way the world is; someone gets upset and we fall over backwards trying to appease the masses. I'm still suprised that they haven't stripped it of its Oscar but that would maybe mean they have to do some research of the subject.

The flirting with Casandra was interesting, but do you think Bob is strong enough to fend off a hot tempered Italian woman named Francesca? Or did he forget about her.

Lenny wrote down S.B.? Who was that for? Smithers and Burns? Also, Smithers seems to go back and forth from do the right thing and being a despicable kiss-ass.

So, I always like Sideshow Bob episodes, they always seem fun but miss the old let's try to kill the family or town and Bart foil his plan. Burns wanting love from his parents interesting since he actually abandoned them for money but I guess the story of "Bobo" doesn't count.

Anyways, it wasn't the best Christmas episode compared to the others. Then again I don't even know where this would even rank. Not one of my favorites, not close. 2/5
    You ladies are without a doubt the most sorrowful clique at the dance. Not one of you fit to guard a Russian rock band.

However, your checks have cleared, so you all graduate.

12. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Szyslak100

Blog Entries

Um, it was alright. A continuity nightmare but frankly plenty of sloppy writing this season's been given a pass by everyone else, so eh, I'll ignore it for this.

But it was disappointing in a few ways too, didn't get much of a teamup, Bob still wanted Bart dead and the twist wasn't exactly a surprise. It would have been better if Bart was simply overreacting because, as Bob said, "he's just a little shy because I've tried to kill him so many times". Never really heard of the whole Baby Sharks thing so it just seemed like a cute bit and Bart riding shotgun with a shotgun was kinda funny. It was at least inoffensive otherwise... except for that Lenny scene. That was too much but I guess he at least survived.

So far, this is shaping up to be the worst season yet and only last week's one was really that good, I was hoping this would do more to redeem things but I guess that's expecting too much. Just a shrugging 3/5 for this one.
    Season 31 thus far

The Winter of Our Monetized Content 3/5 / The Fat Blue Line4/5 / Treehouse of Horror XXX 2/5 / Gorillas on the Mast 4/5 / Marge the Lumberjill 3.5/5 / Livin' La Vida Pura 2/5 /
    Thanksgiving of Horror 0/5 / Todd, Todd, Why Hast Thou Forsaken Me? 4.5/5 / Bobby, It's Cold Outside 3/5 / Hail to the Teeth 2/5 / The Miseducation of Lisa Simpson 3/5 / Frinkcoin 4/5 / Bart the Bad Guy 1/5 / Screenless 4.5/5 / Better Off Ned 4/5 / Highway to Well (not sure yet, pending rewatch)

14. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Szyslak100

I found this a decent episode, but not much more than that. As a Christmas story with Sideshow Bob it was fine and all that but it lacked that certain extra to make it really good, though I found it enjoyable and with a lot of elements that I quite liked. The plot of Bob being hired to be the santa at the Santa's Village park and Bart finding him out while there's a Christmas gift thief driving around in a van and swiping packages from the front porches was an good one, even with that fairly basic feel it had (as I felt it didn't really offer anything new or completely unexpected) and the various other bits and pieces of it, ranging from some good moments from the secondary characters (the Lenny stuff was great for instance) to the parts with the family were nice, made it an overally fairly pleasant, if fairly lightweight, episode with it's fair share of nice moments.

Speaking of the main storyline with Bob, at first I was disappointed with how it started out with how he again seemed to being up to his old scheming and obsession of killing Bart to the point of decorating his tree with gruesome ornaments of Bart dying (though I really liked the continuity of him living in the lighthouse from the end epilogue of 'Gone Boy' two season's back), but then once the two met again at Santa's Village and him finding himself to be unable to kill Bart while the latter is understandably wary he still might (at first) was a nice surprise (revealing that the former stuff was just how Bob is unable to get rid of his old thoughts but them staying as thoughts); when he wrapped the Christmas lights around the boy's neck I was dreading some sort of choking scene but luckily he stopped himself before that. Bart suspecting that he's the present thief and going back and forcing him to find the real culprit was an good direction for the story and I also liked the minor plot thread of this woman Cassandra romantically approaching Bob in his lighthouse (I'm not opposed to Bob being with a woman & her seeming nice and kind and might have a positive effect on him becoming a much better person) so I'm open to her returning along with Bob the next time. I think they could utilize her well.

I liked the opening with the scene at Santa's Village which the family visits (even though it wasn't that funny, though Maggie's bit with the scary elf ride with that elf song was pretty solid). Bob working together with the family was something new (though Homer's way of getting the box Bob hides in onto the porch was unnecessarily dickish). The mystery of the thief was handled pretty well for the most part; at first I though it was obvious with the "SB" initials but then the episode played on that with Homer having Selma arrested but packages still being stolen. The reveal that it was Smithers & Burns made sense (and I did like the lampshading on why Smithers' name comes before Burns') and Burns' classic reasoning I liked (his child self in 1935 not getting what he wished for from Santa so that's why he's gotta be mean now). I liked Bob interacting with Burns and swaying his mind with his powerful voice taking the old man back to his youth with a tale and convincing him to give back the presents (because he doesn't need them due to being a billionaire who's been lucky compared to his fellow rich folks who haven't been so fortunate); yeah, maybe this was contrived but eh, I'm guessing it's a play on stereotypical Christmas story endings such as 'A Christmas Carol' so I buy them going this way.

Then the episode ended with an epilogue montage (set to 'Christmas (Baby Please Come Home', a song which always makes me think of 'Gremlins' due to playing in that film's opening credits, but it's use here as the closing tune was good). There's Burns giving back all the stuff he stole, Bob inviting Cass into his lighthouse for Christmas dinner and singing a cover of 'Baby, It's Cold Outside' like @John95 to me it felt a little odd to hear the name Cassandra pronounced like this here due to how it appears so much in 'Tangled: The Series' in the same way) & there was also an epilogue with Burns and Steve Ballmer (which I really don't think was needed, especially as it felt like it went on forever) and the closing scene was Grampa taking a Christmas photo of the main Simpson family, complete with a "Merry Christmas' signing", which was a nice, neat and suitable thing to end this Christmas episode with (I gotta say this whole ending with the various side stories getting tied up was to be expected and it did feel like your typical Christmas episode ending scene but it was done okay so I cannot complain).

Humor-wise, it wasn't that much of a funny episode but there were still a lot of pretty good jokes and gags throughout (the "riding shotgun" joke was maybe my favorite). The animation was nice and set the mood and tone well and the characterizations were okay with no one really coming off as too extreme (the only moment was the abeformentioned scene of Homer kicking the box with Bob inside around, up the stairs and out the window but then again Homer has done mean stuff like this for literally no reason before so I'm not too surprised). The guest stars for this one was actor Scott Bakula and Steve Ballmer (having some real life billionaire guest star felt weird. Why was he even in this one?) and I guess they did okay, but the former had just a bit part with one line and made no impression at all (these walk-in roles feel like such a waste) and Ballmer came off as obnoxious with the whiny, shrill voice he used and could completely have been cut (again, why was he in this one? His part was so inconsequential; that last scene was pure filler and the shouting got tiring). Sandra Bullock also appeared but only physically and she never spoke (I guess they couldn't get her to lend her voice) and they did an rather lame and way too late 'Bird Box' joke too. This was having guest stars for the sake of it.

All in all, this was more or less an alright episode at best, but not really bad. It was pretty much a standard-type Christmas plot with a mystery of someone stealing packages, Sideshow Bob being a central character and the Simpsons in the middle and that's about the extent of what I felt with this one. I think that as a sequel to 'Gone Boy' (the last Bob episode) it worked fine and threw me off with the start of it making it seem like Bob had relapsed but then they pulled out the rug from under me with a bit of subversion (I liked Bob as somewhat more benevolent and helpful this time around and his interactions with Bart were good), but I'd say that one was a little stronger, more interesting and less, well, familiar and like it took a bit too much inspiration from previous episodes. There were some forced and lame moments (such as the guest star bits) and some that were nonsensical (the "Baby Shark" sing-along in the car felt randomly bizarre. At first I didn't recognize the song but then I read up on it and I might know it from before, but that was a long time ago so it felt new here. Not sure they needed it, though). Still, this one had enough interesting and decent stuff and it kept my interest (and much better than last year's fizzle of an Christmas episode). It was a decent one like I said.

I'm giving this a 3/5. An good enough Sideshow Bob & Christmas episode that follows the expected beats and offers no big surprises or twists and can feel a bit standard at times, but it didn't make it bad at all and I'm sorta glad they didn't make anything too complex or new but just opted for an somewhat down-to-earth and "normal' Christmas story. Nothing new or anything but still alright.
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 12-16-2019 at 02:11 PM.

Junior Camper

Solid episode. The episode started out slow and bland, but got better as time moved on. I really liked Mr. Burns story and how Sideshow Bob was committed to acting out his Santa role. Also, like how the two plots end up connecting at the end (something I really love about Bless the Harts' Cremains of the Day and Mega-lo-memories). Sideshow Bob saves this from being a somewhat mediocre episode. 4/5

17. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Szyslak100

Hercules Rockefeller Homer Samson's Avatar

Wait, didn't they show that Mr. Burns's parents were dirt poor and that Mr. Burns was taken into custody by a billionaire in Rosebud, but in this episode his parents are rich? And didn't Burns's mother appear alive in the present day in Homer the Smithers, but was shown to have died when Burns was young in this episode? Yeah this is really annoying.

Here's my issue: Lenny couldn't talk, that's why he wrote sb. But when wiggum thought he was dead, Lenny spoke up to correct him. So why then didn't Lenny tell the police it was smothers and burns since he clearly saw and recognized the before his accident.

Blog Entries

I noticed that too. Was a little bothersome.

Don't forget, Wiggum isn't the sharpest spoon in the drawer.

Have Brain, Will Travel Wile E. the Brain's Avatar

I don't think I'm offending anyone by saying that Sideshow Bob episodes have been hit or miss since basically the beginning. Sometimes very good, even in the "modern" era there were some genuinely nice ones (I really like The Great Louse Detective), sometimes meh even in the golden age (Sideshow Bob's Last Gleaming), sometimes quite bad to say the least. The last one, Gone Boy, was pretty good though I consider it a little overrated. I was curious to see if they could deliver another pretty good one but... this time it was rather on the "meh" zone. Well, still way better than Westbrook's previous attempt with Sideshow Bob, but still bland. Now I will admit that seeing a plot about Sideshow Bob impersonating Santa Claus was not that bad of an idea, in fact it could have led to some potential, but I don't think they did very much with it. It was more like a complete rehash of a number of previous episodes.

I said it multiple times but I'm not against plots that are a bit deja vu as long as they're well executed, whether it's because they're engaging, funny, or simply enjoyable. But this one, it was funny to see how much it looked like a rip-off of many episodes to me. Like, I thinked about almost as many episodes as I have fingers in my hands. The whole SB thing is so blatantly ripped off from Wedding for Disaster that they had to come up with Selma Bouvier as another potential suspect for the sake of the joke this time (not to mention Bart suspecting Bob to be a criminal again for the eleventy-seventh time; heck, even the evil elves thing is ripped off from three seasons ago). It's almost like this episode unnecessarily dragged out a lot (like someone said, Lenny drawing SB with his blood is lazy when you consider that he's perfectly able to talk afterwards; though I admit that the joke itself made me laugh), if anything it could've been a 10 or 15 minutes long episode without the filler. And it wasn't engaging enough for me to overlook.

I mean, the plot itself of someone stealing Christmas packages is decent and on its own not that badly handled, the twist was okay though not really interesting in my opinion (and I also prefer when Burns is pure evil when it comes to this kind of plot, even in Burns Baby Burns, the character wasn't shown as a sympathethic father even at the end and that's why it worked in a funny way), but I guess it's the Simpsons version of this kind of Christmas resolution with the "scroogey" character being nice in this time of the year, plus it was very nice to see Drederick Tatum at the end, I missed this guy (and as a French guy I noticed a nice little joke with his "Noël" tatoo being mispelled), but I still think it was too thin, and not engaging enough to going through the whole 20 minutes without feeling a little boredom coming up. Also, I disliked how cartoony this episode is, it's not why I love this show and unfortunately they relied too much on it this time (Santa in space, Burns parents' ghosts, Homer inflating himself).

On the plus side, there were jokes that worked pretty well with me, my favorite probably being Homer quickly taking a picture of him and Bart with Sideshow Bob as Santa in order to not pay for the photo (what cracked me up with this joke is Bob actually smiling during the photo). Some other jokes failed miserably like Homer "gently" putting the box with Bob in it outside the house, predictable as heck. Not sure about the Baby Shark thing either but yeah I noticed it became sort of popular these last times (I heard it in the second Angry Birds movie and I think it even will have its own show, am I wrong ?) but I still think it was pretty random, like some other jokes for that matter. Cassandra seems to be a nice character and if there's gonna be another Sideshow Bob episode in the future, I wouldn't mind seeing her again (though it looks like they forgot Francesca, it's odd since John Frink wrote the episode in which she appeared for the first time; I mean, I don't like her but that's not a reason). Oh, and the last two minutes are pretty lame, between a fanservice moment that felt like it was put in just to let Kelsey Grammer having his singing moment (though the lighthouse being turned off made me laugh) and a random epilogue with Burns and a guest star that I've never heard off.

I really have mixed feelings about this episode but not for the same reasons than the last one. Todd, Todd, Why Hast Thou Forsaken Me was an episode with good ideas that were botched the further the episode goes on, this one is just straight-up mediocre all the way through. I don't say it was unsalvageable, there's some good things to say about it, but this episode failed to work with its rather thin story and the fact it relied too much on dumb references (was that Bird Box reference necessary ? I don't think so, it's just ass pulled), blatantly rehashed ideas or annoying cartoonish humor. I guess I've seen worse considering Sideshow Bob's episodes standards, but it wasn't good regardless. A little 2/5 rounded down from 2.5.

24. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Szyslak100

@Wile E. the Brain, As I alluded to in my post I don't care all that much for Gone Boy, but why do you find it overrated?

Also regarding what you mentioned about The Man Who Grew Too Little, the fact that the sendoff to Edna is the only thing I bother to remember about it should pretty much say it all for that one.

The whole thing with Francesca being supposedly retconned is weird considering that she was another case of "Character initially voiced by a guest star, then one of the regulars", made more noticeable by how Tress was both her and Cassandra.

Quote Originally Posted by John95 View Post
    @Wile E. the Brain, As I alluded to in my post I don't care all that much for Gone Boy, but why do you find it overrated?
    Well, a lot of people seem to consider it one of the best episodes of those last years, while I consider it "just" a good episode. It's as simple as that.

By the way, I forgot to mention it but I appreciated the continuity with Sideshow Bob still living in the lighthouse.

I hadn't guessed you'd be that relatively harsh on the episode, @Wile E. the Brain. Even though it was really bland, I think it was one of the less offensive modern era Christmas/Bob episodes (and an decent sequel to 'Gone Boy'; great continuity with the lighthouse and Bob not really being back to his old tricks but being half-reformed of sorts), though I can see how it works really poorly to some, especially if you expected more from it.

Also, I'm guessing I'm the only one of us three Animation Discussion regulars (me, you & @John95) who consider 'Gone Boy' one of the standout HD era episodes, though maybe not Top 10 material. I think that one came together much better than it had any right to.

Also, you really find 'Sideshow Bob's Last Gleaming' an meh episode? How come? While no 'Cape Feare' or 'Sideshow Bob Roberts' I think that one is in the upper half of Bob episodes when ranked. A lot of great humor in that one.

@CousinMerl, I didn't expect that much from it, just maybe another decent Bob episode, I don't think my expectations were too high to be honest, just wanted to be surprised. Well at least like you said he didn't came back to his obsession of killing Bart besides the beginning, I'm glad of that.

Despite what I said about Gone Boy I still think it's an enjoyable episode. Sideshow Bob's Last Gleaming is an alright episode but in comparison of almost every episode of season 7, I think there are way better episodes, plotwise and humor-wise. Some bits on it are pretty great though, I won't deny it.
    It ate EVERYBODY, stupid !

The Winter of Our Monetized Content - 2/5 / Go Big or Go Homer - 2/5 / The Fat Blue Line - 3.5/5 / Treehouse of Horror XXX - 2.5/5 / Gorillas on the Mast - 3.5/5 / Marge the Lumberjill - 2/5 / Livin' la Pura Vida - 4/5 / Thanksgiving of Horror - 4/5 / Todd, Todd, Why Hast Thou Forsaken Me - 2.5/5 / Bobby, it's Cold Outside - 2.5/5 / Hail to the Teeth - 1.5/5 / The Miseducation of Lisa Simpson - 3.5/5 / Frinkcoin - 2/5 / Bart the Bad Guy - 4/5 / Screenless - 3.5/5 / Better Off Ned - 1.5/5 / Highway to Well - TBA / The Incredible Lightness of Being a Baby - TBA

Blog Entries

A fine middle of the road episode for both Christmas and Sideshow Bob. As per usual it is mostly Sideshow Bob stealing the episode with his performance, though his desire to kill Bart seems to be diminishing more and more. It might be because of the continuity where Gone Boy ended with Bob not wanting to kill Bart and ended up living in a lighthouse. For a Christmas themed episode it did some nice things like revisiting Santa's Village and having some sort of The Grinche subplot.

The couch gag and intro were pretty good. Lenny got a proper role as the focus of a victim whos packages are being stolen. Though I don't buy that he couldn't simply tell the cops that Burns and Smithers were stealing them, despite being able to tell them that he's not dead. Sideshow Bob's plot starts off well where he still works in the lighthouse, decoaring a Christmas tree with dead Bart figurines that actually looked somewhat disturbing when they show off gore. Not sure what exactly his relationship is with Cassandra, considering that he is still married to Francesca unless the writers decided to forget about her entirely... which I can understand. Pretty good joke with Homer trying to inflate himself. I have no idea where this Baby Shark comes from but it was kinda catchy. The Santa's Village scenes had some funny moments like Maggie's ride in the creepy gnome cave, Kearney not wanting blood on his sweater, and Bart facing Sideshow Bob as Santa. I would at least expect a better reason than ''trying to play in character as Santa'' to not kill Bart.

The sub plot gets involved a lot more with Lenny accidently paint bombing himself and some guest stars who were accused of the ''SM'' initials. I like the callback to Wedding For Disaster where the initials were actually from Selma Bouvier, where Homer now accuses her off instantly. Bart encounters Bob and they end up wanting to find the package thiefs, which lead to a funny joke of Homer kicking Bob around in a box. The thiefs turn out to be Burns and Smithers and some retconning occurs with Burns' parents. I do like how a young Burns wanted to see his parents smile for once, and how apparently he got stronger out of it as he's the most powerful being in Springfield. A nice ending for both the Simpsons and Sideshow Bob, who apparently might be together with Cassandra. The ending with Burns and Ballmer dragged on though. Ballmer looks a lot like a younger Chalmers wich got me confused at first.

Its a decent episode overall but also rather mediocre. I really like Sideshow Bob as a character but this wasn't his best one, not the worst either. As for Christmas episodes I have lower expectations but this did the theming quite well. The subplot felt rather rushed with how fast Burns and Smithers got uncovered and how quick his behaviour turned around. And the plot holes of Lenny not telling the cops who stole them didn't help either. The Santa's Village scenes were good, and it was kinda fun to see Bob working with the Simpsons to catch the package thiefs. The jokes were rather low with my favorites being Homer trying to inflate himself and Homer accusing Selma of stealing the packages. As a very middle of the road episode it deserves a well rounded:

3/5
    Episodes rated best and worst from each season:
    1: Krusty Gets Busted/Homer's Night Out 2: The Way We Was/Bart's Dog Gets an F 3: Colonel Homer/Dog of Death 4: Marge vs. The Monorail/So It's Come to This: A Simpsons Clip Show 5: Cape Feare/Bart Gets An Elephant 6: Treehouse of Horror V/Another Simpsons Clip Show 7: Mother Simpson/Homerpalooza 8: You Only Move Twice/The Canine Mutiny 9: Lisa's Sax/The Two Mrs. Nahasapeemapetilons 10: Lisa Gets an A/Sunday Cruddy Sunday 11: Behind The Laughter/Beyond Blunderdome 12: Trilogy of Error/The Computer Wore Menace Shoes 13: I Am Furious Yellow/Homer the Moe 14: The Dad Who Knew Too Little/Large Marge 15: The Way We Weren't/Diatribe of a Mad Housewife 16: Thank God Its Doomsday/Mommie Beerest 17: Marge's Son Poisoning/Bonfire of the Manatees 18: Marge Gamer/Revenge is Best Served Three Times 19: Treehouse of Horror XVIII/That 90's Show 20: Gone Maggie Gone/Coming To Homerica 21: O Brother, Where Bart thou?/The Devil Wears Nada 22: Homer Scissorhands/The Fool Monty 23: Holidays of Future Passed/Moe Goes From Rags To Riches 24: Adventures In Baby-Getting/Whiskey Business 25: Brick Like Me/White Christmas Blues 26: Bart's New Friend/The Musk Who Fell to Earth 27: Halloween of Horror/Every Man's Dream 28: There Will Be Buds/Moho House 29: Gone Boy/Throw Grampa from the Dane

30. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Szyslak100

Blog Entries

Well, here's Phil Payton's review of the episode:

32. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Nitsy

^Good review. Phil highlights a number of the weak points I noticed in this episode, namely the question of why this even needed to be a Bob episode and Bob's characterization. Is every Bob episode from now on going to feature him plotting to kill Bart and then decide not to do it? How many times has Bob decided not to kill Bart at this point? It just doesn't mean anything anymore. We go through the same plot of Bart fearing that Bob will kill him, Bob swearing he won't, Bob helping The Simpsons, and then leaving and somehow re-developing a desire to kill Bart in this time. And Bob's reason for not killing Bart in this episode was quite stupid, especially since he was not in character as Santa this entire time; did the family not know that he come close to killing Bart earlier? Did Bob forget about his stated reason for not killing him? I guess I shouldn't think too much into a plot, but this seemed especially nonsensical. I would've been fine with "Gone Boy" being the last Bob episode; it would've made a good send-off of the character, but they bring him up in a more or less pointless role here.

The rest of the episode was alright (though even I questioned why, if Lenny could talk after his injury, we needed the "SB" mystery bit). Not a very strong plot and I'm not so crazy about this portrayal of Burns' past that contradicts previous flashbacks we've seen (not that there is much justification for complaining about this at this point either).

It was not a terrible Christmas episode, but lackluster plot, full of holes, underutilized recurring character. Plus the Baby Shark stuff was just cringey (and such a modern Simps thing to do, gotta get those Relevant References done on time!). Hopefully we will see no more of that.

2/5
    Get woke, go broke

The Saw is Family BloodySimpsonChibi's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It was a pretty meh episode but I like that girl who was hitting on Sideshow Bob. 5/10
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaine View Post
    I'd imagine patting Lisa on the head would sting, damn kids with their spiky heads.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitsy View Post
    ^Good review. Phil highlights a number of the weak points I noticed in this episode, namely the question of why this even needed to be a Bob episode and Bob's characterization. Is every Bob episode from now on going to feature him plotting to kill Bart and then decide not to do it? How many times has Bob decided not to kill Bart at this point? It just doesn't mean anything anymore. We go through the same plot of Bart fearing that Bob will kill him, Bob swearing he won't, Bob helping The Simpsons, and then leaving and somehow re-developing a desire to kill Bart in this time. And Bob's reason for not killing Bart in this episode was quite stupid, especially since he was not in character as Santa this entire time; did the family not know that he come close to killing Bart earlier? Did Bob forget about his stated reason for not killing him? I guess I shouldn't think too much into a plot, but this seemed especially nonsensical. I would've been fine with "Gone Boy" being the last Bob episode; it would've made a good send-off of the character, but they bring him up in a more or less pointless role here.
    His review was decent. I disagree with him a little, mainly about the Bob stuff, but he made some points like how the family is so open to invite Bob into their home after all the incidents he caused (though I'm assuming the here rather assertive Bart invited him in which made them give it a go). Also, he said it was a bad effort, yet gave it a C- (which isn't really a bad rating at all).

I actually didn't mind how Bob was handled in the episode, nor that he was in it. Not all episodes have to be all about him and I'm fine with him playing a supporting role unless it's some shoehorned scene (and nope, I wouldn't call him in this episode that shoehorned. Shoehorned was him in Wedding For Disaster', which interestingly also used the "SB" initials as a mystery clue, which wasted him on an brief one-scene appearance. This one had an much better involvement of him and I didn't see it as completely pointless).

I would also say it's too early to tell if all Bob episodes from now on is him planning to kill Bart but deciding not to in the last second. As for his reasoning why not after all the build-up, I interpreted it that he's still wrestling with his demons from before and after all these years cannot turn off his obsession about killing Bart, fantasizes and daydreams about it & when he gets his chance he tries in an brief relapse reaction but ultimately cannot go through with it (due to the events of 'Gone Boy' seem to have affected him) and excused himself of being an "character actor" on the spot. If he really, truly wanted to kill Bart, he'd have done so now without any random excuse.

Also, I didn't see any clear indication that Bob will really, fully relapse to his old self and if they keep Cassandra involved I'm thinking that she might have an positive effect on him somehow (and I for one wouldn't mind an anti-hero Bob. They have had him as a villain for so long and to give him some more character development would be good).
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 12-19-2019 at 09:20 AM.

@CousinMerl, I watch a lot of Phil's other reviews for things like FG and AD! and I can understand the C- because for me that's like giving an episode a .5/5, it's not a downright 0/5 because it wasn't entirely awful but it's still pretty bad. The lowest score I've seen him give this year was a D+ to the AD! episode The Hand That Rocks the Rogu (which it rightfully deserved as that episode really was that terrible).

I also pointed out in the comments how he didn't address the plothole of Lenny spelling SB with his blood yet not outright saying Smithers & Burns when you learned he could still speak.

@John95, I see, but it's just that I tend to translate someone giving an episode a C to an 3/5, which explains why I'm a bit confused over him saying the episode is bad and yet gives it an middling C- rating which is an 2.5/5 in my opinion (this goes for anyone whom say an episode bad, yet give it an okay-ish rating). It's just the way I view it, of course.

Thread Information