Which episode do you think would have best served as a series finale?

Of all of the episodes that have aired thus far, which do you think seems like it would do the best job of serving as a finale to the entire series?

Holidays of Future Passed would be perfect because it would close the stories of all Simpsons and too other secondary characters, and the touch of doing it in the future was great.

Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind is a good answer too because it would be a great final story for Homer going over his best adventures through the series.
    SEASON 32 - RATINGS

Undercover Burns - 4/5 / I, Carambus - ?/5 / Now Museum, Now You Don't - ?/5 / Treehouse of Horror XXXI - ?/5

Needs attention Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I’d say Eternal Moonshine would have been the best finale. It really had that feeling of finality and was executed very well. I would want a present-day episode, so I wouldn’t be a fan of Holidays of Future Passed being the finale.
    Favorite and least favorite by season
    1. Life on the Fast Lane Homer’s Night Out 2. Bart Gets an F Dead Putting Society 3. Homer at the Bat Like Father, Like Clown 4. Brother From the Same Planet Krusty Gets Kancelled 5. Cape Feare Lady Bouvier’s Lover 6. Homer Badman Another Simpsons Clip Show 7. King-Size Homer Lisa the Iconoclast 8. Homer’s Enemy The Simpsons Spin-Off Showcase 9. Bart Carny The Trouble With Trillions 10. Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo Homer Simpson in: “Kidney Trouble” 11. Guess Who’s Coming to Criticize Dinner? Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder 12. HOMЯ Tennis the Menace 13. Tales From the Public Domain She of Little Faith 14. The Dad Who Knew Too Little Helter Shelter 15. I, (Annoyed Grunt)-bot Bart-Mangled Banner 16. A Star is Torn On a Clear Day I Can’t See My Sister 17. My Fair Laddy Bonfire of the Manatees 18. The Haw-Hawed Couple You Kent Always Say What You Want 19. Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind All About Lisa 20. Gone Maggie Gone The Good, the Sad and the Drugly 21. The Bob Next Door The Color Yellow 22. Donnie Fatso Love is a Many Strangled Thing 23. The Falcon and the D’ohman A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again 24. Hardly Kirk-ing Moonshine River 25. The War of Art What to Expect When Bart’s Expecting 26. Sky Police Let’s Go Fly a Coot 27. Halloween of Horror Lisa With an ‘S’ 28. There Will Be Buds Moho House 29. Springfield Splendor Throw Grampa From the Dane 30. Daddicus Finch I Want You (She’s So Heavy) 31. Thanksgiving of Horror Warrin’ Priests (Part Two)

Holidays of Future Passed or Lisa’s First Word

Blog Entries

Would some reworking, Eternal Moonshine could have served as a decent finale. Have it be about Homer's commitment to his family and end on a positive note for the series.

I respectfully disagree with anyone who says Holidays of Future Passed would have been a good finale. At best, it would have been an extremely underwhelming ending to the series. It's extremely mediocre, and the story and characters are not interesting.

I'm not sure but I think it should end on a Christmas special

I disagree.
    IMHO, Christmas (or just winter-themed) episodes can be cute enough and decent (unless like Simpsons Roasting on an Open Fire, then Holidays of Future Past, or Eternal Moonshine of Simpson Mind or at least, Oh, Brother, where Bart Thou?).
    As for me personally, IMHO, the series finale could be something mash-up of Holidays… and Simpsons Roasting… with a possible title somelike Simpsons Roasting on an Close Fire or …Close Final or something.
    IMHO the best and the worst episodes of each season (in bold — the best and worst of overall series, upd. 03/08/20):
    1. Moaning Lisa/Some Enchanted Evening 2. Bart vs. Thanksgiving/Itchy & Scratchy & Marge 3. Mr. Lisa Goes to Washington/The Otto Show 4. Homer’s Triple Bypass/Selma’s Choice 5. Secrets of a Successful Marriage/Homer the Vigilante 6. Two Dozen and One Greyhounds/Lisa’s Rival 7. Home Sweet Homediddly-Dum-Doodily/Homerpalooza 8. My Sister, My Sitter/The Homer They Fall 9. Miracle on Evergreen Terrace/Bart Star 10. Wild Barts Can’t Be Broken/Monty Can’t Buy Me Love 11. Days of Wine and D’oh’ses/Pygmoelian 12. Homer vs. Dignity/New Kids on the Blecch 13. Poppa’s Got a Brand New Badge/Weekend at Burnsie’s 14. Moe Baby Blues/Helter Shelter 15. Fraudcast News/Co-Dependent’s Day 16. Goo Goo Gai Pan/A Star Is Torn 17. Bonfire of the Manatees/Kiss Kiss, Bang Bangalore 18. 24 Minutes/Stop, Or My Dog Will Shoot! 19. Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind/Husbands and Knives 20. Coming to Homerica/Four Great Women and a Manicure 21. The Squirt and the Whale/Treehouse of Horror XX 22. The Blue and the Gray/Elementary School Musical 23. A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again/Moe Goes from Rags to Riches 24. Hardly Kirk-ing/Gorgeous Grampa 25. Brick Like Me/What to Expect When Bart’s Expecting 26. Sky Police/Treehouse of Horror XXV 27. Halloween of Horror/Treehouse of Horror XXVI 28. 22 for 30/Havana Wild Weekend 29. Flanders’ Ladder/Springfield Splendor 30. Baby You Can’t Drive My Car/The Clown Stays in the Picture 31. TBA/TBA
    The Simpsons season ratings:
    1 > 2 > 4 > 7 > 3 > 6 > 8 > 5 > 27 > 21 > 9 > 20 > 25 > 17 > 29 > 10 > 12 > 15 > 26 > 24 > 13 > 18 > 14 > 19 > 28 > 16 > 30 > 23 > 11 > 22

I think that thoughts may differ, because so many people, so many opinions.

I have always been against having an future episode as the finale. As I have said before, I see them as possible futures (even though some aspects carry over to the other) and I prefer the final one to be more or less an normal episode centered around the family.

'Eternal Moonshine Of The Simpson Mind' would be a really good choice, but from the top of my head I could also go with something like 'Home Sweet Homediddly-Dum-Doodily', 'Halloween Of Horror', 'Girl's In The Band' or some other episode about the whole family and how they come together in the end or something like that (I think that a good finale should give everyone in the family something to do). If something more abstract and weird, there's always 'Behind The Laughter'.

If I'd were to pick one of the future episodes, I could see 'Mr. Lisa's Opus' being a good one to close the show with (with some reworking of course, as it does have some issues that prevents it from being an good finale).

seems weird and scary GlitterCat's Avatar

I've always liked the end of Lisa's Substitute, Homer successfully cheers up all 3 kids, then goes upstairs to snuggle Marge. I definitely think the ending should have everyone in the family happy.

10. Thumbs Up To This Post by: The B

'Lisa's Substitute' is a good call, but I'd say 'Bart Vs Thanksgiving' is great pick too, if not even better. Great end scene with Bart apologizing to Lisa and them reconciling, Homer and Marge overhearding (with Homer stating "You know Marge, we're great parents") and the family (the pets included) happily enjoying a meal of Thanksgiving leftovers in peace. I'm a sucker for those ending with the family together as said (also, it's a plus that the episode has got all the main relatives in it too: Grampa, Patty, Selma and Marge's mother Jaqueline as well).

Being my fanatic self Simpson's Fan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think the future episodes (one in particular was intended to be " The Simpsons " finale, the season 23 episode: " Holidays of Future passed ") will make a great series finale! If I had to pick, I would go with " Barthood ", " Holidays of Future passed " or " Mr Lisa's Opus ", but if I had to pick from regular episodes I choose " A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again ". It captures Bart's feelings towards his family and his own perspective of life, plus it ends with a beautiful song and a comment from him as an old man " What a great ride! ".
    The classic episodes could also be a good series finale, such as " Lisa's Wedding ", " One Fish, Two Fish, Blowfish, Bluefish ", " Lisa's Substitute " etc.

Thread Information