Junior Camper

What one thing would you change about the status quo to freshen up the show?

This Weeks Listener Question

Quote Originally Posted by toushin View Post
    This Weeks Listener Question
    Age the characters up a year, give Bart and Lisa new teachers and let Maggie say a few words.
    Pokemon Moon Friend Code 5473-2104-2310
    Looking for shiny, legendary, and mythical. Got shiny Sandshrew (Alola)
    Have various starters, zorua, can breed many pokemon.
    Current egg move hatching: Tyrunt with fire fang

Remove the rule of coming back obligatorily everything to the normality at the end of an episode. It obliges that a lot of episodes being repetitive and predictable and it doesn't allow the shows explores new grounds.
    Fan of the Outstanding Animated Show of 2019.

SEASON 31 - RATINGS
    The Winter of Our Monetized Content: 3/5 / Go Big or Go Homer: 3/5 / The Fat Blue Line: 4/5
    Treehouse of Horror XXX: 4/5 / Gorillas on the Mast: 3/5 / Marge the Lumberjill: 2/5
    Livin' La Pura Vida: 5/5 / Thanksgiving of Horror: 5/5
    Todd, Todd, Why Hast Thou Forsaken Me: 2/5 / Bobby, It's Cold Outside: 4/5 / Hail to the Teeth: TBA

With the risk of sounding negative, nothing really at this point. The show has gone on for so long, now in it's 31st season no less, so it does feel unnecessary and superfluous to start changing things about that status quo now (they should have done it much sooner, if anything).

That said, I do think they shouldn't hit that reset button at the end of episodes so often like they do, especially after some changes that are more major and can naturally continue to exist (It can be done without alienating the crowd who are into episodic stories and they have done it a few times to good effect) & I would also be okay with mini-story arcs spanning over a number of episodes in the season, but yeah, it feels too late to do any big changes now.

Blog Entries

I'm cool with sounding negative, it's basically my thing. I wouldn't trust any of the current staff with a change of status-quo at this point. I'm not sure anyone could pull it off. This is the same showrunner that quickly set about undoing things that actually made interesting (if still small, but that's good, it's not alienating) like Skinner and Edna's relationship or putting Milhouse's parents back together. Seasons 6-8- abouts had little interesting things that would happen and in places like Grade School Confidential, it would even stick, there was plenty of reason to care because of that.

I mean not that it's easy to care about half the characters they do want you to care about anymore (all... like, 3 of them?) but still, nothing having a bearing on anything makes it hard to get invested... amongst other things.

Season 31 thus far

The Winter of Our Monetized Content 3/5 / The Fat Blue Line4/5 / Treehouse of Horror XXX 2/5 / Gorillas on the Mast4/5 / Marge the Lumberjill 3.5/5 / Livin' La Vida Pura 2/5 /
    Thanksgiving of Horror 0/5 / Todd, Todd, Why Hast Thou Forsaken Me? 4.5/5 / Bobby, It's Cold Outside 3/5 / Hail to the Teeth [pending]

Blog Entries

Homer has access to a time machine

I would go back to a new showrunner(s) every two seasons. Back then, it was necessary to have new people in charge every two years because burnout was inevitable, but one thing it did was refresh the show constantly and keep it from being stale and repetitive. I'm pretty sure if Al Jean & Mike Reiss were the showrunners past season four, they would have immediately started phoning it in and the show would have declined much earlier.

One major problem with the show now is that it's been creatively stagnant for almost twenty years. Even if Al Jean didn't repair the show when he became showrunner in season 13, his first couple years in charge at least felt different from when Mike Scully was the showrunner. And when Matt Selman started running a few episodes, he developed his own style too. The show's always benefited from having change at the top.

8. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Szyslak100

what stories can you think of for episodes which have not aired so far?
    I am only around the start of season 16 so got lots more to see but did read most of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Nihilistic View Post
    I would go back to a new showrunner(s) every two seasons.
    Switching out showrunners is extremely long overdue, no matter how content the crew feel with Al Jean. As I said before in this thread, it feels like it's too late with how far the show has gone on, though then again, as the show has been renewed and Disney seemingly wanting more I'm positive towards a showrunner swap. They could try at least one season with Selman for starters.

Blog Entries

I think I wouldn't change just one big thing with the status quo rather it'd be little things that may, or may not, have little impacts on the characters' roles. For instance, not having Todd get his faith back after Todd, Todd, Why Hast Thou Forsaken Me but having him and Ned still make up. There's at least one other story to get out of that, with Ned trying to adjust to that. For a start there's a wealth of things you can do with the side cast instead of a endless parade of pointless guest stars (hell, remember when guest-voiced characters were kind of notable because it wasn't literally every single episode?) but... I get not wanting to bring a ton of continuity in but then the ship's kind of sailed on it being watchable in any order. If someone really didn't know before they'd probably be wondering where the heck Edna's gone and why Ned's teaching Bart for instance.

12. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Szyslak100

The Simpsons really need recurring politically correct villains. Nowadays there is hight potential with South Park style plots - something, the Simpsons aren't prepared. Sometimes they use one episode Characters (like adult Jamshed in "Much Apu About Something", or the Yale students in "The Caper Chase") the other times they use Lisa. Lisa has become a problem because a) She is too young for that b) It contradicts her personality in the classic Simpsons c) A main character shouldn't be so hatet by fans as she is. They really need a anti Mr. Burns.

Possible Characters:
    *Bring back Ashley Grant from "Homer Badman"
    *Introduce a fat musculus lesbian college student with short pink hair
    *Introduce a vegan nazi skinhead with tatoos who loves animals
    *Make Jamshed a parody of Hari Kondabolu and use him more often to complain

Other changes and restorations:
    Make Lisa the insecure nerd, she used to be in the first season. The ending of "Sleeping with the Enemy" implyed Lisas is now permanent concerned about her weight or even anorexic. Stick with that, it was an interesting idea. Just make sure, she actually looks thin (in non-standart clothes she often gets Bart's tummy - that is confusing). As jokes about underweight are now directed at Lisa instead of Burns, Burns will be less frail, and can become the dangerous oligarch with hired goons he used to be. Further Bart should become the bad boy he was instead of alternating between mad psycho and punching bag. Make prank calls great again, and don't subvert them. Nelson should be a bully and a bad influence and not be depicted as tragical product of bad parenting. Moe should be more aggressive and criminal and less depressed. Barney should be a boozer and regret nothing about it. Skinner should be a strict principal with Vietnam war flashbacks and not a mothers boy, and Chalmers should not be in every episode.

Thread Information