Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Duncanville Discussion Thread

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Pretty good pilot, but I found myself liking Duncan's family more than him. The dad especially was funny. I loved his facebook joke. The littlest sister was funny too and cute. Middle sister, a bit devious. The mom has the kind of chipper mom energy I associate with Linda Belcher. I don't think I like this quite as much as Bless The Harts or KOTH, but it's a nice break from the Family Guy and Rick and Mortys. (Neither are bad shows, just not my faves as the humor is sometimes too mean for my taste, such as the endless dumping on Meg/Jerry when they've done nothing to earn that ire.)

2. Thumbs Up To This Post by: orangemo

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GlitterCat View Post
    Pretty good pilot, but I found myself liking Duncan's family more than him. The dad especially was funny. I loved his facebook joke. The littlest sister was funny too and cute. Middle sister, a bit devious. The mom has the kind of chipper mom energy I associate with Linda Belcher. I don't think I like this quite as much as Bless The Harts or KOTH, but it's a nice break from the Family Guy and Rick and Mortys. (Neither are bad shows, just not my faves as the humor is sometimes too mean for my taste, such as the endless dumping on Meg/Jerry when they've done nothing to earn that ire.)
    You can add American Dad and South Park to the mean spirited taste shows as well (South Park is alright and American Dad is just okay now). Rick and Morty is insane mean-spirited and I don’t think their fans (as well as South Park or Family Guy) would like shows like Bless the Harts because they’re so different from what they’re used to seeing. Not every adult cartoon has to have the same humor. I like that Bless the Harts is not a clone of the Simpsons.

Junior Camper

Critiquing a pilot episode is sort of like judging a book by its cover (or at least by its foreword/preface). This probably will not represent this show by the time its first season wraps. Two of the best animated shows of the last decade, Bob's Burgers and Bojack Horseman, had pretty poor pilot episodes. So this show may improve. I hope it does. That being said, I wasn't thrilled by this. Judging this episode on its own, it was unfunny, slapdash, cookie-cutter, and unfocused. Fortunately, most of this can be put down to the show trying to establish its identity in amongst stalwarts like The Simpsons, Family Guy and Bob's Burgers. There was no way to differentiate this from any of those three shows. Its humour felt very Simpsons (modern day, not classic, unfortunately), its pacing, pop-culture references and animation feels very Family Guy, but it clearly wants to have relatable, grounded characters like Bob's Burgers. I don't think those three styles blend well together. However, the giant tree being knocked over by the car door got a big laugh out of me, and it was animated very nicely. Has potential. Will probably watch episode 2. I'm sort of rooting for it.

5. Thumbs Up To This Post by: orangemo

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by J.J.Watts View Post
    Critiquing a pilot episode is sort of like judging a book by its cover (or at least by its foreword/preface). This probably will not represent this show by the time its first season wraps. Two of the best animated shows of the last decade, Bob's Burgers and Bojack Horseman, had pretty poor pilot episodes. So this show may improve. I hope it does. That being said, I wasn't thrilled by this. Judging this episode on its own, it was unfunny, slapdash, cookie-cutter, and unfocused. Fortunately, most of this can be put down to the show trying to establish its identity in amongst stalwarts like The Simpsons, Family Guy and Bob's Burgers. There was no way to differentiate this from any of those three shows. Its humour felt very Simpsons (modern day, not classic, unfortunately), its pacing, pop-culture references and animation feels very Family Guy, but it clearly wants to have relatable, grounded characters like Bob's Burgers. I don't think those three styles blend well together. However, the giant tree being knocked over by the car door got a big laugh out of me, and it was animated very nicely. Has potential. Will probably watch episode 2. I'm sort of rooting for it.
    Bless the Harts got a season 2 too. I’m glad Fox is giving it time to find itself.

Junior Camper

Quote Originally Posted by orangemo View Post
    Bless the Harts got a season 2 too. I’m glad Fox is giving it time to find itself.
    I hope Bless the Harts getting a second season doesn't effect Duncanville's chances of getting a second season (assuming it improves to the point where it deserves it). I'd imagine they would need to start work on it, well... NOW if they want to meet a fall premiere. Can't help but think FOX aired Bless the Harts first instead of Duncanville because they had more faith in it. Also, I'm pretty sure FOX still has two more animated shows in the works (The Great North and Housebroken), so they're really going hard atm.

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

I hope Bless the Harts getting a second season doesn't effect Duncanville's chances of getting a second season (assuming it improves to the point where it deserves it). I'd imagine they would need to start work on it, well... NOW if they want to meet a fall premiere. Can't help but think FOX aired Bless the Harts first instead of Duncanville because they had more faith in it. Also, I'm pretty sure FOX still has two more animated shows in the works (The Great North and Housebroken), so they're really going hard atm.
    Did you check Bless the Harts out? I guarantee Harts is gonna be renewed up to season 4 or 5 or even 6 or more because FOX owns half of the copyrights Harts (they don't own the pre-Disney deal stuff anymore) so they'd get some money (Disney would get half of the money) if it sells in syndication packages (cable and local). They already get some money syndicating it to Hulu (but it's still not enough apparently). If it enters syndication next year, you better believe there's gonna be a season 3.

Duncanville has already been syndicated to a few international TV channels, with new episodes debuting soon. It's safe to say Duncanville will get renewed for a while because NBCUniversal wouldn't syndicate it if it wasn't so sure it would be successful.

Also if Duncanville gets a season 2 it will be short like Bob’s Burgers season 2, since animation takes 9 months and both Bob’s Burgers (when it debuted on January 9, 2011) and Duncanville are midseason entries. Harts season 2 I hope is a full 22 episode order (not including the three holdovers from season 1). Predicting that Great North will get pushed back to Fall 2020, since Duncanville is the spring entry and only 4 episodes of Great North are filed with the US copyright catalog and Housebroken will debut in Spring 2021.
    Last edited by orangemo; 02-21-2020 at 09:58 PM.

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Samson View Post
    This first episode was something I enjoyed, but I feel like it was partly a Marge Be Not Proud ripoff (which makes sense since Mike Scully wrote that episode)
    Did you ever check out Bless the Harts?

Junior Camper

Something's going to end up going. The Animation Domination block isn't big enough for 7 shows. I just hope they don't cancel Bob's Burgers. Out of the current "Big Three" it's the most vulnerable. FOX has an unfortunate history of getting rid of its long-running cartoons to make room for new ones which ultimately end up failing. (axing King of the Hill to make room for The Cleveland Show, then axing American Dad to make room for Bordertown)

Pin Pal

Something's going to end up going. The Animation Domination block isn't big enough for 7 shows. I just hope they don't cancel Bob's Burgers. Out of the current "Big Three" it's the most vulnerable. FOX has an unfortunate history of getting rid of its long-running cartoons to make room for new ones which ultimately end up failing. (axing King of the Hill to make room for The Cleveland Show, then axing American Dad to make room for Bordertown)
    That's what Fox gets for getting rid of good cartoons. The Cleveland Show sucked and Bordertown was garbage.

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

The president of FOX stated Family Guy and Simpsons will end before Bob’s Burgers don’t worry. I know The Great North is gonna be a success as it’s basically another Bob’s Burgers. Housebroken though I have a feeling it will fail but I’ll still watch. Housebroken is also the first non-Disney (in part or at all) cartoon for Fox.

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sideshow ken View Post
    That's what Fox gets for getting rid of good cartoons. The Cleveland Show sucked and Bordertown was garbage.
    Bless the Harts is better than Cleveland Show. Originally I heard CS was only supposed to last 1 season because critics didn’t like it but Fox kept renewing to get the syndication deal, and now Disney owns 100% of it. With Harts they own 50% so you better believe they want some of the syndication money.

Junior Camper

The Cleveland Show was renewed for season 2 before it even premiered. FOX never planned for the show to run for a long time, I think they always intended to make the bare minimum needed to meet syndication criteria. With any other show they'd never do this, but because it's a Family Guy spin-off they figured many networks would snap up TCS for syndication as a discount alternative to FG to draw in those fans. Here in England at the time, Family Guy and American Dad both aired on BBC3, but The Cleveland Show was picked up by E4, and they never once advertised the show without mentioning how it's "from the makers of Family Guy", "it's about that character from Family Guy", "if you love Family Guy, you'll love this too!"

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

The Cleveland Show was renewed for season 2 before it even premiered. FOX never planned for the show to run for a long time, I think they always intended to make the bare minimum needed to meet syndication criteria. With any other show they'd never do this, but because it's a Family Guy spin-off they figured many networks would snap up TCS for syndication as a discount alternative to FG to draw in those fans. Here in England at the time, Family Guy and American Dad both aired on BBC3, but The Cleveland Show was picked up by E4, and they never once advertised the show without mentioning how it's "from the makers of Family Guy", "it's about that character from Family Guy", "if you love Family Guy, you'll love this too!"
    I think Bless the Harts will keep getting renewed for a syndication deal at least before Fox decides to axe it if anything.

Junior Camper

I hate to judge a show based on only the first four episodes, but so far I am not impressed. Words that spring to mind when I think of Duncanville: Bland, boring, redundant, forgettable, ect. There is nothing overtly terrible about this show, but there is nothing unique or eye-catching either. It just exists. It's almost like a by-the-numbers generic parody of the FOX animated family sitcom formula. A little bit of The Simpsons, a little bit of Family Guy, and a little bit of Bob's Burgers, but no interest in having its own identity, resulting in an inconsistent tone throughout. And I can definitely fill Mike Scully's fingerprints when it comes to the plotting, because they feel very structurally similar to seasons 11/12 Simpsons, where they all fall apart in the third act. I will continue to watch in the hopes that the show finds its feet, but even Bob's Burgers, which had a shaky start, was better than this after 4 episodes.

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

I hate to judge a show based on only the first four episodes, but so far I am not impressed. Words that spring to mind when I think of Duncanville: Bland, boring, redundant, forgettable, ect. There is nothing overtly terrible about this show, but there is nothing unique or eye-catching either. It just exists. It's almost like a by-the-numbers generic parody of the FOX animated family sitcom formula. A little bit of The Simpsons, a little bit of Family Guy, and a little bit of Bob's Burgers, but no interest in having its own identity, resulting in an inconsistent tone throughout. And I can definitely fill Mike Scully's fingerprints when it comes to the plotting, because they feel very structurally similar to seasons 11/12 Simpsons, where they all fall apart in the third act. I will continue to watch in the hopes that the show finds its feet, but even Bob's Burgers, which had a shaky start, was better than this after 4 episodes.
    So Harts is better?

Junior Camper

So Harts is better?
    Harts is definitely better. It's not perfect, but it's the only watchable new FOX animation since Bob's Burgers.

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

Harts is definitely better. It's not perfect, but it's the only watchable new FOX animation since Bob's Burgers.
    I actually heard Son of Zorn had potential.

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

So Duncanville has been officially renewed at Fox for a second season. However, due to The Great North and Housebroken premiering next television season, the last 2 episodes will be held over for 2021-2022 for the second season.

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

I guess no one here cares that Duncanville got a season 2 order

Pin Pal

I care about it. I'm glad it got renewed. I rank this second next to Bless the harts. I love Duncans' family. Especially his mother and father.

23. Thumbs Up To This Post by: orangemo

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sideshow ken View Post
    I care about it. I'm glad it got renewed. I rank this second next to Bless the harts. I love Duncans' family. Especially his mother and father.
    The only main reason why Duncanville got renewed is that Comcast has 2 international syndication deals for this show and Fox gets a portion of that syndication money because they have 1/3 copyright. Why syndicate a show only to cancel it so early?

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

Well, my response is more along the lines of how it will affect the remaining schedule, so I created a tangent thread to discuss that.

26. Thumbs Up To This Post by: orangemo

Animation Domination announces Duncanville's cast to live YouTube table read this Friday (as part of #Athomewith).
    IMHO the best and the worst episodes of each season (in bold — the best and worst of overall series, upd. 24/04/20):
    1. Moaning Lisa/Homer’s Night Out 2. Bart vs. Thanksgiving/Simpson and Delilah 3. Mr. Lisa Goes to Washington/Homer Alone 4. Homer’s Triple Bypass/Marge in Chains 5. Secrets of a Successful Marriage/Bart’s Inner Child 6. Who Shot Mr. Burns? (Part I)/A Star Is Burns 7. Home Sweet Homediddly-Dum-Doodily/Treehouse of Horror VI 8. My Sister, My Sitter/The Simpsons Spin-Off Showcase 9. Miracle on Evergreen Terrace/Bart Star 10. Wild Barts Can’t Be Broken/Simpsons Bible Stories 11. Days of Wine and D’oh’ses/Pygmoelian 12. Homer vs. Dignity/New Kids on the Blecch 13. Poppa’s Got a Brand New Badge/Weekend at Burnsie’s 14. Moe Baby Blues/Helter Shelter 15. Fraudcast News/Co-Dependent’s Day 16. Goo Goo Gai Pan/A Star Is Torn 17. Bonfire of the Manatees/Kiss Kiss, Bang Bangalore 18. 24 Minutes/Stop, Or My Dog Will Shoot! 19. Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind/Husbands and Knives 20. Coming to Homerica/Four Great Women and a Manicure 21. The Squirt and the Whale/Treehouse of Horror XX 22. The Blue and the Gray/Elementary School Musical 23. A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again/Moe Goes from Rags to Riches 24. Hardly Kirk-ing/Gorgeous Grampa 25. Brick Like Me/What to Expect When Bart’s Expecting 26. Sky Police/Treehouse of Horror XXV 27. Halloween of Horror/Treehouse of Horror XXVI 28. 22 for 30/Havana Wild Weekend 29. Flanders’ Ladder/Springfield Splendor 30. Baby You Can’t Drive My Car/The Clown Stays in the Picture 31. TBA/TBA
    The Simpsons season ratings:
    2 > 1 > 3 > 7 > 6 > 4 > 8 > 5 > 9 > 27 > 21 > 20 > 25 > 17 > 29 > 12 > 15 > 10 > 26 > 24 > 13 > 18 > 14 > 19 > 28 > 16 > 30 > 23 > 11 > 22

I think that thoughts may differ, because so many people, so many opinions.

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The B View Post
    Animation Domination announces Duncanville's cast to live YouTube table read this Friday (as part of #Athomewith).
    Yes they will do a table read of the Pilot

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

Upcoming episodes include

Jack's Pipe Dream (1LAZ07)

Judge Annie (1LAZ08)

Free Range Children (1LAZ09)

Wolf Mother (1LAZ11)

Upcoming possible episodes for May 17 include

Classless President (1LAZ10)

Kimberly's Party (1LAZ12)

Annie Oaklie (1LAZ13)
    Last edited by orangemo; 04-18-2020 at 07:58 PM.

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

On Sunday at 7pm Pacific, 10pm eastern, there's a ANIDOM aftershow on Caffiene, after which it will be available on Hulu on Tuesday. The show will be an hour long no ads of course, it's a dude talking like a podcast kind of about Fox animation for the next 5 sundays.
    Winter of our Monetized Content 7.5/10 - Go Big or Go Homer 5/10 - The Fat Blue Line 8/10 - Treehouse of Horror XXX (30) 7/10 - Gorillas on the Mast 7/10 - Marge the Lumberjill 4.5/10 - Livin' La Pura Vida 9/10 - Thanksgiving of Horror 9/10 - Todd, Todd, Why Hast Thou Forsaken Me? 6.5/10 - Bobby, It's Cold Outside 8/10 - Hail to the Teeth 7.5/10 - The Miseducation of Lisa Simpson 7/10 - Frinkcoin 8/10 - Bart the Bad Guy 9/10 - Screenless 8/10 - Better off Ned 6/10 - Highway to Well 8/10 - The Incredible Lightness of Being a Baby 7.5/10 - Warrin' Priests 8/10 - Warrin' Priests Part 2 7/10 - The Hateful Eight-Year Olds 8.5/10 - Way of the Dog 9.5/10

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

MAY 17 SEASON FINALE

"Classless President" (1LAZ10/DUN-110)

Duncan runs for class president but finds the competition to be way harder than he thought, while Kimberly participates in a cookie fundraiser, with a few tricks up her sleeve.

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

Oh by the way guys, anyone from the UK or Australia or Canada can watch this show too. In Canada, it's on CityTV on the same airdates as USA. In UK, it's on Channel 4 and in Australia, it will be on the Nine Network, just fyi.

As for upcoming episodes without an airdate held over for season 2, that goes to Annie Oaklie (1LAZ13) and Kimberly's Party (1LAZ12).
    Last edited by orangemo; 04-29-2020 at 08:30 AM.

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

As the show’s first season is coming to a close, have your opinions changed?

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

Duncanville season 1 review:

Jing is great. I love her! Annie is also a very solid character too. Jack and Kimberly are decent, but Duncan and his friends I still don't care for. Also, I’d add Mr. Mitch there since he’s pretty bland, but he has potential to be better too.

This show is a little too generic to actually stand out. The parents and three kids sitcom trope is too much done and unoriginal, except Jing is adopted, but there are other sitcoms that do that too.

It's why I prefer Bless the Harts because at least it redoes the formula a bit with unmarried couples (yes that's reality) and unique characters. I leave off saying Duncanville is solid for what it is but it needs to identify itself quickly. Episodes like “Free Range Children” and “Classless President” feel too much like Family Guy with those dumb overdone animal dialogue jokes and the cutaway gags that are irrelevant to the plot. Though this may be pretty justified since John Viener is a writer, voice actor, and producer on both Duncanville and Family Guy.

This show tries to either be Simpsons, Family Guy, or Bob's Burgers, but doesn't really have a sense of its own identity apart from Jing and Annie. There are a lot of episodes that feel reused from Simpsons especially, which makes sense since former showrunner Mike Scully is co-creator of Duncanville.
    Season 2 needs to either take lessons from Bob's Burgers and Bless the Harts on heart-to-heart moments or ditch them completely. Only “Red Head Redemption” did the heart-to-heart moment pretty good, while “Witch Day”'s heart-to-heart moment was awful and the Pilot's was alright. Duncanville’s best trait is that it is definitely solid on the comedy standpoint, but the character dynamics are something this show needs to work on before people (hopefully) realize that Bless the Harts is clearly the better show, it's not even a contest. Harts is an 8.5/10 and this is like a 7.

I'm just disappointed in this show because overall, ZERO episodes stand out to me! ZERO! I’ll definitely watch season 2 in Fall of 2021 in hopes that this show finds itself soon. But overall it was much better than the previous cartoon show Fox tried to do Bordertown.

Ranking every episode of the season:
    PILOT 7/10
    Red Head Redemption 9/10
    Undacuva Mutha 8/10
    Witch Day 7/10
    Fridgy 8/10
    Sister, Wife 8.5/10
    Jack's Pipe Dream 8/10
    Judge Annie 8/10
    Free Range Children 8/10
    Wolf Mother 7.5/10
    Classless President 8/10