Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rate & Review: "The Fat Blue Line" (YABF22)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

The Saw is Family BloodySimpsonChibi's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Decent episode I guess. 6/10
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaine View Post
    I'd imagine patting Lisa on the head would sting, damn kids with their spiky heads.

Fat Tony came back for second time in a row. After a dull use of this fantastic character in Go Big or Go Homer, The Fat Blue Line get a second chance and it drew on him better than than the previous episode. An episode starring by Fat Tony, Clancy Wiggum and Homer, with guest appearences of Bob Odenkirk and Jason Momoa, sounded promising. Could it reach its best potential? Let's see...

Could this be the most wonderful trio of the entire series?

The story started with a good pacing, with the family going to San Castellaneta Festival. It was a good opening that allowed a lot of references to italian gastronomy/culture and a catchy song by Homer about that, which reminded me to that song in Guess Who's Coming to Critizice Dinner. Also we have an appearence of Jason Momoa as himself with a scene yields on its possibilities. I was waiting for a mediocre intervetion but he had a great monologue about the origin of the chocolate pistachio cherry ice cream, and others brief dialogues with Joe Quimby, who didn't know him beyond Aquaman's character, and with Selma, who admires him. We also saw Gil as a loser, turning a buggy and Sideshow Mel with a cloath. The actual story started when Homer discovers his wallet was pickpocketed and other citizen confirm a criminal wave (among them, Mel, in leather, complaining for his loose cloath, in a joke that make me laugh). Kent Brockman shares the news with a hilarious tongue-twister and with a reference to Where's Wally, and then we meet Lenora Carter, an important piece for the development of the story. Dawnn Lewis did a good job with her character. I don't know if she has a special charm that I couldn't perceive or something. But she did one of the little few funny jokes related with drugs that I actually liked inside this show. And she was funny when she mocked about Homer's big ass, a kind of joke I usually dislike and here it was effective twice. Or thrice, if we count the mountage of Homer carrying out the plan thought by Lenora, under the accurate choice of 'Bootylicious' to musicalize that moment. Lenora also allowed Clancy to work on his own, which probably was the biggest success of the episode.

Pick a card. Any card.

Because Clancy is one of the greatest supporting characters of the show, but he isn't so developed as he should be. I mean, there are lots of stories that a chief of police could protagonize, but he hasn't had many. It was nice to see in Pranksta Rap his qualities as a cop and it was nice to see it again. But although he was the hero of the episode, he discovered the most important clue and he resolved the case, he didn't dodge those jokes that shows he is, basically, an irresponsible and stupid guy. He confused greek with italian, he couldn't resolve a simple riddle of TV, he caused disturbes in a nonexistent gun range, he shot unintentionally at his cap, he runned over some bikes... but that jokes about Clancy never bothered me. What I always disliked, and I consider a loosed battle, are those backgrounds gag that yells: "Hey, look, Ralph is an idiot!" And we have at least three of them. I disliked the elephant gag too. That is not the kind of jokes I like to see in this show. I obviously liked this new perspective in Chief Wiggum's dynamic with Fat Tony. Join the leader of the mafia with the chief of police looking for solve a case was clever. While Tony is a smart criminal, Clancy is an incompetent cop, who is the chief of police thanks to a deal with the Devil, according to what we learned here. But although they are two opposites characters, they have a big similitude: both are hilarious. And those are the reason why I loved watch them working as a team. Wiggum doing something stupid ant Tony reacting about that was an effective formula. Either the ptss ptss scene or the remember the phrase: "remember the phrase" moment. Also, Wiggum saying that Tony didn't steal the wallets but stole his hearth was hilarious. Well, as everything they've done here.

Remember the phrase? That is the dumbest thing I've ever heard too.

At difference of what happened in the previous episode, Fat Tony was in plenty form here. Moments like when he prays for kneecap the Judas who set he up or the one in what he is singing show tunes confessing his terrible crimes, respects the agressive but sensible essence of the character. The enigma in which he enters here was gripping. I mean, we saw him hating snitches sometimes before -even he tried to kill Homer for that way back when- and this plot-twist in his life was really interesting. It was a sample that The Simpsons still have too many things to do. As always, the rest of the mafia's cast had great scenes: it was great to see a development in Johnny Tightlips. I'm glad to know more about his interenses and ambitious, beyond his thypical joke of don't say anything. I wonder if he still will appear as a subordinate of Fat Tony or if it will change in the following episodes. It was a nice detail that Tony said at the beggining that he only trust in Johnny. I didn't pay attention for that and I couldn't guess who was the pickpocket, but it was clear aftet that. Louie, as always he appears, took some of the best scenes of the episode: he taking Fat Tony's orders with double meaning was a recycled but still a hilarious joke. And the Italian conversation wasn't over-long for me. We get also a Frankie the Squealer's scene, and also we know Fat Tony's uncle, who wasn't important for the development of the episode, but I liked his intervetions. In a conversation with him, Fat Tony gave us a genius phrase: "Guests, like fishs, stink after three days".

This old man is not funnier than his nephew, but he is a good character anyway

Talking about the mafia, Bob Odenkirk had a brief cameo with a character who don't even have a name, but it was enjoyable too. The joke of him talking slowly sounded bad, but it was handled adequately. It showed this show needs a funny lawyer since Lionel Hutz was retired. Another thing I liked about this episode was the silent but important interventions of the Simpsons family. I've already mentioned I -surprisingly- enjoyed all the jokes about Homer's big ass. He had other funny quotes, as when he asked where's the traffic when he have to go to the Church. Marge was really likeable too. She was optimum to backs Wiggum up in a tender scene between two compatible characters. Taking about the family, I LOVED the reference to The Sopranos they did at the end. It was another wonderful Maggie scene for the record. The only scene I truly disliked in this episode, besides Ralph gags, was Wiggum sucking the bullet. It was an unnecesary, embarassing and unpleasent scene that could be removed easily. I just have a few lines to comment random things: the couch gag wasn't great as somebody could expect, it just had a good publicity and maybe the biggest fans of Queen enjoyed it. Following the trend of this episode to take advantage of types of jokes I usually dislike, I laughed a lot with Sideshow Bob being runned over by a truck of rakes. And was good to see again the often forgotten Dr. Hibbert and his classic laugh.

In an episode protagonized by Tony, Clancy and Homer, she had the best scene.

The Fat Blue Line was an episode with a high potential, and affortunately it drew on most of it. Fat Tony reachs his best potential and shared a good relationship with Wiggum. The Simpsons family went to a second plane but had they weren't forgotten. And every guest stars -Odenkirk, Momoa, Lewis- get a justificied place in the episode and worked pretty well.

4/5
    Last edited by Szyslak100; 10-18-2019 at 01:51 PM.
    SEASON 31 - RATINGS
    The Winter of Our Monetized Content - 3/5 / Go Big or Go Homer - 2/5 / The Fat Blue Line - 4/5
    Treehouse of Horror XXX - 3/5 / Gorillas on the Mast - 4/5 / Marge the Lumberjill - 2/5
    Livin' La Pura Vida - 5/5 / Thanksgiving of Horror - 5/5 / Todd, Todd, Why Hast Thou Forsaken Me - 3/5
    Bobby, It's Cold Outside - 3/5 / Hail to the Teeth - 2/5 / The Miseducation of Lisa Simpson - 4/5 / Frinkcoin - 2/5 / Bart the Bad Guy - 5/5 / Screenless - 4/5
    Better Off Ned - 1/5 / Highway to Well - 4/5 / The Incredible Lightness of Being a Baby - TBA
    Warrin' Priest TBA / The Hateful Eight-Years-Old - TBA / The Way of the Dog - TBA

Have Brain, Will Travel Wile E. the Brain's Avatar

I enjoyed this episode too. I'm a sucker for episodes with Fat Tony as a main character, and this one didn't disappointed me. Though the beginning wasn't anything special, especially the bland parody of Queen's Live Aid as a couch gag (but at least it wasn't long, thank goodness), the San Castellaneta Festival was pretty nice. Even Jason Momoa gets a decent appearance, not totally useful but pretty funny and not just in order to be here without adding anything (plus the joke where he puts armbands before escaping by the sea made me laugh). Then there's the pickpocket idea, which wasn't uninteresting. And I didn't know I would say that but they did get good material out of Homer's butt. I thought this would be stupid but they did manage to make this funny and well executed (plus the smooth animation of his movements were a good touch).

So Fat Tony gets accused to be the pickpocket while Wiggum is left behind. About the elephant joke, I must admit the first moment where they walk in a silly way got a chuckle out of me, considering how goofy it was, but they did go overboard with the washing scene and that killed the scene. But anyway, the plot isn't really new, you can think about Homer vs. the Eighteenth Amendment or Pranksta Rap, but since we're into the 31th season, I don't care that much if a plot isn't really original anymore, as long as it's well written, and The Fat Blue Line actually is, and I found myself engaged into the plot. Wiggum and Fat Tony have a nice chemistry together and they share a number of good scenes. The episode is also pretty funny overall. The priest hanging himself after Tony's video and Wiggum's "Definitely enough" just cracked me up (also Sideshow Bob being run over by a truck of rakes). I liked how the plot goes on, I like the fact the Simpsons themselves don't interfere a lot with the execution and I also liked the final moments, it's not usual that the show decides to go with a mystery episode, and this one did a good job with what it had in its hands. Though Bob Odenkirk deserved more than a quick cameo (pretty funny, though) but I enjoyed it regardless.

I don't have a lot to say about this episode. It was a solid one, with a good script and a good execution, I liked how it deepens Fat Tony and Wiggum and despite some flaws like a joke that can fall flat here and there (like Louie misunderstanding Tony's words, overused gag is overused) or some parts that are clumsy and / or dragged out like the whole "Remember the phrase" thing (and I definitely don't like how they decided to make Ralph as stupid as possible, though it was just for a couple of scenes here), it still was a breath of fresh air after two perfectly bland episodes. It looks like they got some of the best material of these seasons with episodes about secondary characters. As far as I'm concerned, The Fat Blue Line is a good episode. Oh and, nice cameo of "Just Stamp the Ticket Guy".

3.5/5 rounded up to 4/5.

4. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Szyslak100

I'm a little surprised you liked the priest hanging scene, @Wile E. the Brain. I found it too dark and jarring for something I'd want from a non-Treehouse of Horror episode and didn't think it was funny & dark for the sake of it (and it didn't really add anything). It was a little out of place for the show and like something out of modern 'Family Guy'.

The elephant joke I still don't hate as it was too good natured, but I agree that it went on for too long (and it took time from the plot).
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 10-17-2019 at 11:43 PM.

@CousinMerl, well, I have nothing against dark jokes once in a while in this show, even for a non-TOH episode (plus, they're in a prison, the kind of place where I think this kind of thing can happen). This is an adult show after all (not at the same level as a Seth MacFarlane show, but still). I believe this one took me by surprise, and though the hanging amused me, especially regarding the fact it was after Tony's tape of him singing a blue song, I think it was Wiggum's line who was the cherry on the top. Maybe it was for the sake of being dark but I didn't mind it, I just found it funny. I've seen way worse jokes of this kind in modern Family Guy, or even in The Simpsons.

7. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Szyslak100

I agree that it's nothing against a lot of the dark humor that other modern animated comedy shows pull (many of which often really tend to overdo all the gruesome edginess to the point of it being just eyerolling) but even as fairly tame as this one was and how the show has done a lot of good dark jokes about killings (even in non-Treehouse eps) I think it was a little offputting and jarring in a sense. It mostly felt pointless though, as the video scene was already funny (especially with the Chief loving it and stating that Tony captured his heart with it) and adding a suicide joke at the end felt superfluous and didn't quite work. Just my weird opinion, of course.
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 10-17-2019 at 01:34 PM.

9. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Szyslak100

Quote Originally Posted by CousinMerl View Post
    Just my weird opinion, of course.
    I understand. It's also just my weird opinion for liking this joke, aha.

Uh, I forget the priest joke when I wrote my review. I laughed with this. It was unexpected and it was done in an accurate moment.

Overall, I haven't got problems with dark jokes every now and then, with the condition that the misfortune occure to an n/n character, as happened here, and not to a character one know (for example, Skinner consuming drugs under the order of Chalmers in I Want You (She's So Heavy))

was pretty good, enjoyed the focus on fat tony and chief wiggum, it made for a nice dynamic honestly, and im glad the simpsons themselves werent involved beyond the festival and using homer as bait. didnt really care for jason mamoa's bit, and im glad bob odenkirk's part was rather understated.

elephant gag went on a bit too long and the toilet pasta was a bit gross and not really my thing, but yeah overall it was pretty good.

4/5

14. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Szyslak100

What an odd show. The first few minutes were really awful, but once the plot got underway things looked up... although the new police officer disappearing from the plot the moment Tony was arrested was really sloppy writing, and the Simpsons themselves seemed to be really shoehorned into a lot of the episode. An odd duck, all told, but not a bad one. ​C+
    Season 31 Ratings
    The Winter of Our Monetized Content C+ Go Big or Go Homer ​C- The Fat Blue Line ​C+ Treehouse of Horror XXX ​C- Gorillas on the Mast ​B Marge the Lumberjill C- Livin La Pura Vida ​B- Thanksgiving of Horror ​B Todd, Todd, Why Hast Thou Forsaken Me? ​C Bobby It's Cold Outside ​B- Hail to the Teeth ​D- The Miseducation of Lisa Simpson ​B+ Frinkcoin D+ Bart the Bad Guy ​B+ Screenless ​B Better Off Ned ​C- Highway to Well ​C

Thread Information