Thread: Bad episodes with good endings

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Hercules Rockefeller Homer Samson's Avatar

Bad episodes with good endings

Everyone seems to talk about certain episodes that are good but have bad endings, but what about vice-versa? My best choice would be Brake My Wife, Please, though it would have worked better as the ending to Three Gays of the Condo

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Samson View Post
    Everyone seems to talk about certain episodes that are good but have bad endings, but what about vice-versa? My best choice would be Brake My Wife, Please, though it would have worked better as the ending to Three Gays of the Condo
    Definitely When You Dish Upon A Star, that Ron Howard Happy Day's ending is fantastic. Although I think this episode is average, it's definitely more bad than good

Dish Upon a Star has the distinction to me of being one of the episodes with only a good opening and ending. I only liked the beginning with the Yogi Bear parody, and the ending with Ron Howard stealing and then selling Homer's script. The rest was shit.

fan fatale of Takena Nagao jal90's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Dude, where's my ranch? to me. They had such a promising episode about Homer creating his own Christmas song and finding success, it was funny, it could have some interesting satire or social commentary, etc. Then the Simpsons move to a ranch, they do stuff I don't care about for like fifteen minutes, and by the end of this utterly inconsequential deviation that became the main plot the episode comes full circle at the final joke, as a hilarious reminder that this was supposed to be a good episode but the writers just stopped giving a damn after the first five minutes.

5. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Szyslak100

Is it possible? I mean, you can't lay the last brick if you don't have a base first. Maybe, Regarding Marge could be an option, but I don't think the episode was bad, just forgettable, though the end was a little touching. Maybe the episodes with marriage crisis are more brittle to be a bad episodes with a good endings, because the conflicts are usually bother but the reconciliation could be pleasent But after a quick check I couldn't find an episode to mention without any doubts here.

Maybe, if Treehouse of Horror's segments counts, I'd say Heaven Swipes Right is another likely one. It was being a rushed and desorganizated segment but the perturbing end make me think everything was worthy. Yeah, maybe that segment is a good call to answer it.

What I can identify easier are bad episodes with a good last scene/four act, for example: the Modern Family's parody at the end of the awful What to Expect When Bart's Expecting. But that is not the conclusion, just an disjointed moment to the rest of the episode. I think you are not asking for that.
    Last retrospective: Homer Defined (S03E05)

My project of rating and reviewing every episode of Rick and Morty (completed!)

My project of rating and reviewing every episode of BoJack Horseman (last episode: Hank After Dark)

Junior Camper

This question is kind of complicated because unlike with finding a bad ending in a good episode it’s a lot harder to separate the two. Having a good or more appropriately a sweat ending in a bad episode cements the bad episode more than in the reverse. We talked about Brake My Wife, Please in is Marge doing it on purpose. Marge tries to kill Homer and causes him further harm by dropping hot soup in his lap, and kicking his walking stick out from under him. This all stems from the stress of having to be the main driver, leading to her outright saying she hates him. And then suddenly Homer is the one at fault for all this, for not appreciating Marge enough. So ultimately he has to make amends with a grand romantic gesture, while Marge's domestic abuse is casually swept under the rug as if it never happened. While the party is sweat you can’t really separate the effect from the cause, heck in the end Marge even joked about it and called homer a baby when he got scared. This is also why Bart can’t be successful as long as Lisa’s in his life is canon. They keep treating him getting screwed over as happy endings.

Flander's Ladder. Most of the episode was typical zombie Simpsons dreck, but that ending with everyone dying was somehow really engaging.

9. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Marge

seems weird and scary GlitterCat's Avatar

I don't really like the one where Lisa digs up an angel but the reveal it was all a mall promotion was pretty funny as was the guy flat out admitting he never did the DNA test he promised.

Deep Frier of Shirts BlueRibbonCommittee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

"Wedding for Disaster" was a big Jerkass Marge episode, and a sequel no one asked for, but I liked the end where Patty and Selma gave Homer his rocket cake.

Bit shocked no one mentioned the "Show's-Too-Short Story" from "The D'oh-cial Network".

Blog Entries

Not sure that one counts as an ending, but it was a decent little skit. Guess there's not many places else it could have gone.
    Season 31 just sucked.

'The D'oh-cial Network' is one of those episodes that I would never consider even remotely good. It's all bad, even the ending (just a lot of padding and filler like the majority of the episode). An perfect example of the HD era at it's worst.

Blog Entries

The dark-stanley-esque bit may as well have been its own little thing. Wasn't it also the one with Patty and Selma and whoever those guys were? Okay that one was bad.

D'oh-cial network was bad but it pales in comparison to plenty of other things.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Snorky View Post
    Definitely When You Dish Upon A Star, that Ron Howard Happy Day's ending is fantastic. Although I think this episode is average, it's definitely more bad than good
    you have disappointed me snorky

Blog Entries

Yeah, I did hate the whole episode, including the ending to the actual story. And the Patty and Selma bit with the Winklevoss twins was pretty bad too. The "Show's Too Short" story I actually liked though. However, I can't really complain about the fact that it was there, because it's not the first time the show's done this...

Attached Images Attached Images

Didn't a lot of people like the ending of Lisa Goes Gaga when Moe got hit by the train?

Blog Entries

good episode good ending

Uh... I think "Lisa the Simpson" and "In Marge We Trust", maybe

Quote Originally Posted by GlitterCat View Post
    I don't really like the one where Lisa digs up an angel but the reveal it was all a mall promotion was pretty funny as was the guy flat out admitting he never did the DNA test he promised.
    "Lisa the Skeptic" (although I like this one)

Hercules Rockefeller Homer Samson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McCloskey View Post
    Uh... I think "Lisa the Simpson" and "In Marge We Trust", maybe

"Lisa the Skeptic" (although I like this one)
    What's bad about IMWT?
    Best and Worst Episode per Season:
    1: Krusty Gets Busted/Homer's Night Out 2: One Fish, Two Fish, Blowfish, Blue Fish/Bart's Dog Gets an 'F' 3: Bart the Murderer/Saturdays of Thunder 4: Homer the Heretic/So Its Come To This: A Simpsons Clip Show 5: Cape Feare/Lady Bouvier's Lover 6: Homie the Clown/Another Simpsons Clip Show 7: Raging Abe Simpson and his Grumbling Grandson in " The Curse of the Flying Hellfish"/Scenes From the Class Struggle in Springfield 8: The Springfield Files/The Old Man and the Lisa 9: The City of New York vs. Homer Simpson/Miracle on Evergreen Terrace 10: Mayored to the Mob/Homer Simpson in: Kidney Trouble 11: Grift of the Magi/Eight Misbehavin' 12: Trilogy of Error/I'm Goin' to Praiseland 13: The Blunder Years/The Lastest Gun in the West 14: Moe Baby Blues/The Strong Arms of the Ma 15: My Mother the Carjacker/Co-Dependent's Day 16: The Heartbroke Kid/Homer and Ned's Hail Mary Pass 17: The Seemingly Never-Ending Story/The Bonfire of the Manatees 18: The Mook, The Chef, The Wife, and Her Homer/The Boys of Bummer 19: Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind/Husbands and Knives 20: Gone Maggie Gone/Lisa the Drama Queen 21: The Squirt and the Whale/The Greatest Story Ever D'ohed 22: Homer Scissorhands/The Fight Before Christmas 23: The Book Job/Lisa Goes Gaga 24: The Saga of Carl/Love is a Many-Splintered Thing 25: Brick Like Me/What to Expect When Bart's Expecting 26: Sky Police/The Musk Who Fell to Earth 27: Barthood/Every Man's Dream 28: 22 for 30/The Caper Chase 29: Flanders' Ladder/Singin' in the Lane 30: Woo-hoo Dunnit?/I Want You (She's So Heavy)

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Samson View Post
    What's bad about IMWT?
    No big deal, just think it's a boring episode, like some others from this era.
    But I like the ending, that's the difference from the other boring episodes.
    Last edited by Bill McCloskey; 12-08-2019 at 05:38 PM.

I'd have to add The Twisted World of Marge Simpson. I always thought that was one of the weakest classic era episodes, and it felt Scully-ish, but I did like the showdown with the Springfield Mafia and the Yakuza at the end.

Blog Entries

Good call. I don’t care for that episode too much, but the ending is bonkers and pretty dang funny.
    Favorite and least favorite by season
    1. Life on the Fast Lane Homer’s Night Out 2. Bart Gets an F Dead Putting Society 3. Homer at the Bat Like Father, Like Clown 4. Brother From the Same Planet Krusty Gets Kancelled 5. Cape Feare Lady Bouvier’s Lover 6. Homer Badman Another Simpsons Clip Show 7. King-Size Homer Lisa the Iconoclast 8. Homer’s Enemy The Simpsons Spin-Off Showcase 9. Bart Carny The Trouble With Trillions 10. Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo Homer Simpson in: “Kidney Trouble” 11. Guess Who’s Coming to Criticize Dinner? Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder 12. HOMЯ Tennis the Menace 13. Tales From the Public Domain She of Little Faith 14. The Dad Who Knew Too Little Helter Shelter 15. I, (Annoyed Grunt)-bot Bart-Mangled Banner 16. A Star is Torn On a Clear Day I Can’t See My Sister 17. My Fair Laddy Bonfire of the Manatees 18. The Haw-Hawed Couple You Kent Always Say What You Want 19. Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind All About Lisa 20. Gone Maggie Gone The Good, the Sad and the Drugly 21. The Bob Next Door The Color Yellow 22. Donnie Fatso Love is a Many Strangled Thing 23. The Falcon and the D’ohman A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again 24. Hardly Kirk-ing Moonshine River 25. The War of Art What to Expect When Bart’s Expecting 26. Sky Police Let’s Go Fly a Coot 27. Halloween of Horror Lisa With an ‘S’ 28. There Will Be Buds Moho House 29. Springfield Splendor Throw Grampa From the Dane 30. Daddicus Finch I Want You (She’s So Heavy) 31. Thanksgiving of Horror Warrin’ Priests (Part Two)

I always found "My Sister, My Sitter" too painful and brutal to watch, at least when Bart starts fuckin everything up. I never liked it. But I gotta admit, after I saw it for the first time since I was little, I realized the ending is very relieving and almost makes the episode good. Honestly one of the best endings in the show. But I still skip the episode usually, just because the rest of the it is so uncomfortable and unfun.

Blog Entries

"Rome-Old and Juli-Eh" is pretty lame, but I like Abe and Selma dancing at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by bartsdad View Post
    I always found "My Sister, My Sitter" too painful and brutal to watch, at least when Bart starts fuckin everything up. I never liked it. But I gotta admit, after I saw it for the first time since I was little, I realized the ending is very relieving and almost makes the episode good. Honestly one of the best endings in the show. But I still skip the episode usually, just because the rest of the it is so uncomfortable and unfun.
    But is it a bad episode because it's a boring story or is it bad because it's so cruel you can't stand it?

No to cooties and sisters. Shoskin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McCloskey View Post
    But is it a bad episode because it's a boring story or is it bad because it's so cruel you can't stand it?
    If you think about it, its yes to both questions. Bart wasn't jerk-ass as much as a sibling being a sibling. Siblings fight. Sometimes someone gets hurt. However, if Bart is a jerk-ass, Lisa was selfish for not taking Bart to the hospital. Putting Lisa in charge is what you expect from the situation Homer and Marge put forward. I particularly don't like the episode. I don't care how smart Lisa is she's to young to be a babysitter. I usually skip it.
    Origi corner taken quickly.

Blog Entries

When You Dish Upon a Star has a pretty hilarious ending.

The Yakuza vs Gangster war at the end of the Twisted World of Marge Simpsons was solid too. The one guy going "Forgiveness please!" gave me a chuckle.

Friend with Benefit is a pretty forgettable episode that rehashed a bunch of cliches, but the ending where Homer and Lisa realize Bart stayed on the island and it cuts to him laughing made me laugh for how unexpected it was.

Saddlesore Galactica. I liked the line at the end "I'm a pretty lousy president," but the episode itself was abysmal.

Thread Information