Thread: Most offensive jokes?

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Most offensive jokes?

What jokes on the show do you find to be the most offensive or politically incorrect?

The end of Homer's Phobia when Moe says something along the lines of I better kill myself for being saved by a gay man (which spoils this episode for me somewhat), when John saves Barney,Moe,Homer and Bart from the reindeer.

I don't really get how the joke's supposed to be funny as there's nothing wrong with brave gay men or helpless straight men, and the suicide bit was offensive to gay people (though I'm sure the writers wouldn't dream of using it nowadays!)

3. Thumbs Up To This Post by: TenEight, tyler

Hercules Rockefeller Homer Samson's Avatar

Everything with Apu

Just kidding, I can't think of anything insanely offensive, but Abe calling that Asian man "Ping Pong" in Children of a Lesser Clod could be considered offensive
    Best and Worst Episode per Season:
    1: Krusty Gets Busted/Homer's Night Out 2: One Fish, Two Fish, Blowfish, Blue Fish/Bart's Dog Gets an 'F' 3: Bart the Murderer/Saturdays of Thunder 4: Homer the Heretic/So Its Come To This: A Simpsons Clip Show 5: Cape Feare/Lady Bouvier's Lover 6: Homie the Clown/Another Simpsons Clip Show 7: Raging Abe Simpson and his Grumbling Grandson in " The Curse of the Flying Hellfish"/Scenes From the Class Struggle in Springfield 8: The Springfield Files/The Old Man and the Lisa 9: The City of New York vs. Homer Simpson/Miracle on Evergreen Terrace 10: Mayored to the Mob/Homer Simpson in: Kidney Trouble 11: Grift of the Magi/Eight Misbehavin' 12: Trilogy of Error/I'm Goin' to Praiseland 13: The Blunder Years/The Lastest Gun in the West 14: Moe Baby Blues/The Strong Arms of the Ma 15: My Mother the Carjacker/Co-Dependent's Day 16: The Heartbroke Kid/Homer and Ned's Hail Mary Pass 17: The Seemingly Never-Ending Story/The Bonfire of the Manatees 18: The Mook, The Chef, The Wife, and Her Homer/The Boys of Bummer 19: Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind/Husbands and Knives 20: Gone Maggie Gone/Lisa the Drama Queen 21: The Squirt and the Whale/The Greatest Story Ever D'ohed 22: Homer Scissorhands/The Fight Before Christmas 23: The Book Job/Lisa Goes Gaga 24: The Saga of Carl/Love is a Many-Splintered Thing 25: Brick Like Me/What to Expect When Bart's Expecting 26: Sky Police/The Musk Who Fell to Earth 27: Barthood/Every Man's Dream 28: 22 for 30/The Caper Chase 29: Flanders' Ladder/Singin' in the Lane 30: Woo-hoo Dunnit?/I Want You (She's So Heavy)

Quote Originally Posted by Snorky View Post
    The end of Homer's Phobia when Moe says something along the lines of I better kill myself for being saved by a gay man (which spoils this episode for me somewhat), when John saves Barney,Moe,Homer and Bart from the reindeer.

I don't really get how the joke's supposed to be funny as there's nothing wrong with brave gay men or helpless straight men, and the suicide bit was offensive to gay people (though I'm sure the writers wouldn't dream of using it nowadays!)
    right, I think you missed the joke, it's not a joke about being gay or straight it's a joke on fragile men. Just because you don't understand something it doesn't mean it's offensive.

There have also been jokes that haven't aged well and are now offensive, like the transphobic joke in Lisa's First Word.

I hate how the show tends to make gay men have Jamaican/Caribbean accents, like Julio, or the "Gay-O" singers in "There's Something About Marrying." I'm not gay, but I support them, and it annoys me how the show sometimes treats homosexuality like an ethnic stereotype. Of course there are a few exceptions (Mr. Smithers and John, for instance.)

That rabbit is dynamite! Venomrabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I dunno if it really offends me or if I just groan at how overused it is before it hit the show but speaking of what wiley mentioned, the show has a dumb tendancy to portray trans women as huge muscular men, kinda like you'd find on a shitty boomer cartoon raging against the idea of gender neutral bathrooms. Or of course that they're just straight men trying to trick lesbians.

[img]https://miro.medium.com/max/1600/1*RSSIhMfWUMdN2-g2W3tR3w.jpeg[/img]
    [img]https://miro.medium.com/max/2728/1*CTosm99UUFexJ7Q_Q4tF_Q.jpeg[/img]

And then there's the more unique to the show but equally groan worthy conflation that all gay people want to be women. It gets a little bit sad when the closest thing to positive trans representation is Helen Lovejoy, and that was just a one-off joke that I doubt is even actual canon information even though it could open up some interesting doors regarding the Lovejoys like their own stances on LGBT folks or where Jessica came from (she looks a lot like both Tim and Helen but maybe that's a coincidence? Or maybe she was a neice of one of them that got orphaned so they took her in?)

Junior Camper

Yeah, I groan whenever they make a joke about Smithers or Largo wanting to be a woman (such as in 'Frink Gets Testy' and 'Eeny Teeny Maya Moe'). It's such a lazy joke and makes the writers look so ignorant, as if they actually believe gender and sexuality are the same thing. And what's weird is that these jokes are more prevailant in the HD era.

I'd say there's a reason for such poor jokes to be more prevalent in the HD era.

I think Lisa declaring herself a member of the Hitachi tribe was pretty tacky. And in keeping the Lisa is never punished angle, she was never taken to task for her cultural appropriation.
    Pokemon Moon Friend Code 5473-2104-2310
    Looking for shiny, legendary, and mythical. Got shiny Sandshrew (Alola)
    Have various starters, zorua, can breed many pokemon.
    Current egg move hatching: Tyrunt with fire fang

Quote Originally Posted by GlitterCat View Post
    I think Lisa declaring herself a member of the Hitachi tribe was pretty tacky. And in keeping the Lisa is never punished angle, she was never taken to task for her cultural appropriation.
    I didn't think it was particularly offensive. The bad part about it is that Family Guy already did the "pretending to be Native American" plot back in its first season. The Simpsons crew shouldn't be hearing that Family Guy did something first.

13. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Shoskin

Quote Originally Posted by GlitterCat View Post
    You know what is funny, the only person who called Lisa out was Bart.

@Homer Samson yeah it's not great when you copy Family Guy.
    HOMER, YOU'RE DUMB AS A MULE AND TWICE AS UGLY. IF A STRANGE MAN OFFERS YOU A RIDE I SAY TAKE IT!

don't quite cover all CousinMerl's Avatar

One joke that comes to mind is in 'Lisa's Sax' when Dr. Loren Pryor (the elementary school psychiatrist) is talking to Homer and Marge about Bart having trouble in school, saying that public schools can be intimidating to a child that has shown many flamboyant homosexual tendencies, mistakenly talking about Bart but then realizes he's looking at Milhouse's file. I don't see why Milhouse might being gay is at all worthy of being in his personal school file as if it is something negative (and does it really matter in the first place?). That moment aged pretty poorly.
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 10-21-2019 at 01:54 PM.

16. Thumbs Up To This Post by: TenEight, Tilly

The Rain Man scene from $pringfield that basically boiled down to "LOL, this autistic person is doing something loud and annoying and now Homer is doing it too!".

Also, I'm glad someone else brought up the plot point from Marrying. Even if veronica wasn't actually intended to be trans, the whole "this woman is actually a man pretending to be a woman in order to sneak into the women's sports leagues and date a lesbian!" thing is exactly what transphobes say about trans women over and over again. I really hope the writers just didn't know what they were doing, but I assume the Futurama writers move in similar circles to the Simpsons writers and they had a "man pretends to be a woman in order to sneak into the women's sports league" episode 2 years prior which involved an actual sex change, so I'm haunted by the possibility that they knew and just didn't care.
    I'm Steven and my mom says I'm cool. Hablo español. icon by @ArtfulDodger923 on twitter.

RIP Frank Grimes 1962-1997

No episode ratings in my signature anymore, because I'm way behind.

I don't care what anyone says, that Rain Man scene almost gave me a heart attack from laughter

The Blue Files OldSchoolerSimpsons's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yeah, I never found that offensive either. It's always one of the jokes which makes me laugh the hardest when I watch the episode. This is coming from an autistic person by the way.
    Quote Originally Posted by scully apologist;bt39949
    "KONY 2012"

While I can see why the Rain Man parody can be seen as offensive (or borderline), I don't think it's that bad (at least not compared to a lot of the other examples in this thread). I also don't intepret it that way; it's Homer's misunderstanding and reaction of being a jerk that is funny, not the Dustin Hoffman guy doing that (as he's thinking the guy is doing it on purpose to avoid having to do the card-counting thing again and spitefully retaliates with a lot of the same, blindly so). The autistic character isn't being made fun of, Homer is.

Junior Camper

The trillion dollar bill episode REALLY annoyed me when it tried to make a joke out of the European struggle against the Nazis. Regardless of what they say, many nations didn't fight poorly or surrender readily. The French Resistance was incredibly daring and brave. And Britain, who they lumped in with this group, NEVER surrendered and only lost the Channel Islands to the Nazis.
    People died in that war, thousands, horribly. Don't piss on their memory because you want to talk up America. You can respect America's fight against Hitler - which I certainly do - AND acknowledge that European nations fought just as hard. Some shit you don't joke about.

Non-Simpsons scare me. Road Rage's Avatar

The above post reminds me of The Simpsons Game. Obviously not an episode of the show, but there's a whole level about the French surrendering. I think it becomes a bit distasteful after a while, since being a video game level it obviously drags on a lot longer than a joke in the show.

Pretty much all of the jokes the show's made about France's surrender (which seem to be almost solely an American thing) not only comes across as offensive but feels old and tired. I don't recall if they still do them but if they do it's probably best to stop beating that old horse.

24. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Tilly

Quote Originally Posted by CousinMerl View Post
    One joke that comes to mind is in 'Lisa's Sax' when Dr. Loren Pryor (the elementary school psychiatrist) is talking to Homer and Marge about Bart having trouble in school, saying that public schools can be intimidating to a child that has shown many flamboyant homosexual tendencies, mistakenly talking about Bart but then realizes he's looking at Milhouse's file. I don't see why Milhouse might being gay is at all worthy of being in his personal school file as if it is something negative (and does it really matter in the first place?). That moment aged pretty poorly.
    I don't think whoever wrote that joke is being negative towards gay people. I think their making fun of both the fact that Milhouse is showing gay tendencies so young when many gay people don't come out till their 20's and the fact that some people thought Milhouse would be gay but knowing his future crush on Lisa, he's clearly not. Those kind of jokes should definitely be acceptable and I would assume the vast majority of gay people would be ok with them, if not find them funny even in this day and age

@Snorky, Maybe there is some truth to your assessment of the joke and maybe it can be viewed as pretty harmless in a sense (and it's not as bad compared to some of these other examples), but it still feels like one of those jokes that can be found offensive to some. I found it a bit odd and jarring on a rewatch (that inspired me to post it) and I can imagine others thinking so too; there was just something about the presentation that felt off so even though I'm sure they werent out to offend anyone and/or think negatively of gays it can still be seen as insensitive.
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 10-24-2019 at 12:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CousinMerl View Post
    That joke has always confused me it's very clear that Milhouse likes Lisa. Is part of the joke is that the school thinks that Milhouse is gay ??

But yes.

Also, as somebody who suffers from depression, I have always hated the Moe is suicidal jokes.
    Favorite by season
    1.Krusty Gets Busted 2. Bart Gets An F 3. Lisa's Pony 4. Duffless/Last Exit to Springfiled 5. Homer's Barbershop Quartet 6. And Maggie Makes Three 7. The Curse Of The Flying Hellfish 8.Hurricane Neddy 9 Das Bus 10. Wild Barts Can't Be Broken 11. Saddlesore Galactica 12. HOMR 13. Weekend at Burnsie's. 14. How I Spent My Strummer Vacation. 15. The President Wore Pearls.

Thread Information