Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Owl House

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Have Brain, Will Travel Wile E. the Brain's Avatar

I found Sense and Insensitivity (man, that's one hell of a overused title pun, isn't it ?) to be a good episode too despite its flaws. I kinda like the concept of a writing contest to begin with (for some reason I thought the overall plot would be like one episode from Little Witch Academia - yeah, the series at first reminded me that anime too, even though it's of course its own thing and not a rip-off), and even though it turns out to be kinda predictable with Luz and King trying to write as a team only to fail at it because of creative conflicts, it's entertaining and compelling enough. I liked the whole brainstorming part ("With this totally original all-star cast, victory will be ours !" Wonder if that's a jab to those who think a series has necessarily got to have original characters to be a good one) and I liked the villain of the episode, with a creative concept (having a third eye that allows him to read in no time, clever - especially with the detail of him having glasses, and even readjusting them before reading towards the end). Overall I think there were some clever jokes like King trusting the villain - yeah, forgot his name - because he looks ominous, which makes sense coming from King. Some others on the contrary were a bit too on the nose ("If this book is disappointing in any way, I'll be spending the rest of my life trashing it !") but they aren't that numerous. Also, for some reason I thought he was dishonest with King about his book, I thought it actually was a crappy book that he managed to sell to a lot of customers with some manipulative magic but I guess it actually is a good book. The conflict between King and Luz, despite not being breathtaking for its originality, still was nice to follow as a way to deepen their relationship even further regarding their differences of point of view. But the climax felt half-baked, I agree, especially with the bad guy not having his comeuppance and quickly trying to manipulate someone else. It was a bit lame for the sake of poor comedy. At least, the last scene with Eda discovering King's book was a very funny way to end it all ("Girl, you do NOT wanna know"). But as a whole, it was a enjoyable, decently enough main story.

Which still could've been the subplot because I do agree with you guys that the actual subplot is more interesting and overall better, and would've been even better than it is if there was more attention put into it. But as for it is, I genuinely enjoyed the competition between the sisters, and especially the way the episode shows them having genuine siblings interactions through a fun and heartfelt rivalry, whether it's with little details like both of them acting like kids at the start of their competition (really like the "No you won't !" from Lilith) or more direct ideas, showing that Eda still genuinely cares about her sister and reciprocally. And even if it was obvious that their quest was a huge scam, the reveal about what they find at the end of it is just so funny to me with the salesman being a completely lame opponent for the sisters, that it pretty much sold it. So yeah, a subplot that is both funny and kinda heartwarming, and definitely should've been the main one. But as a whole, this episode remains good, I still enjoyed the actual main plot, even though, for that matter, the second one could've been its own episode (since both stories aren't really dependent from each other).
    It ate EVERYBODY, stupid !

The Winter of Our Monetized Content - 2/5 / Go Big or Go Homer - 2/5 / The Fat Blue Line - 3.5/5 / Treehouse of Horror XXX - 2.5/5 / Gorillas on the Mast - 3.5/5 / Marge the Lumberjill - 2/5 / Livin' la Pura Vida - 4/5 / Thanksgiving of Horror - 4/5 / Todd, Todd, Why Hast Thou Forsaken Me - 2.5/5 / Bobby, it's Cold Outside - 2.5/5 / Hail to the Teeth - 1.5/5 / The Miseducation of Lisa Simpson - 3.5/5 / Frinkcoin - 2/5 / Bart the Bad Guy - 4/5 / Screenless - 3.5/5 / Better Off Ned - 1.5/5 / Highway to Well - 3/5 / The Incredible Lightness of Being a Baby - 2/5 / Warrin' Priests: Part One - 3/5 / Warrin' Priests: Part Two - 2.5/5 / The Hateful Eight-Year-Olds - 3.5/5 / Way of the Dog - TBA

Well, last night's episode didn't fully live up to my expectations (the only spoilers I'll give is that the scenes with Eda and Lilith shown in the Season 1B trailer that I thought would be in this episode aren't), but I did like it and it was better than Sense and Insensitivity (at least this time the main plot actually felt like it was the right one picked) which means that I actually can see myself coming back to this one.

Also, there's been a change in the scheduling as next week we'll be getting two episodes which was previously slated to occur on August 29th. This means that next week on top of Little Big Problems we'll also be getting Understanding Willow. And honestly, considering the fact that the former episode doesn't look or sound all that interesting (it gives me Little Dipper flashbacks, which again isn't a good thing since I don't like that episode) this was pretty much the best option they could've gone with as the one that I actually am looking forward to will hopefully make up for the former.

Lastly, the plots for the remaining episodes of the season are:

Enchanting Grom Fright (8/8)
    Luz experiences Grom, Hexside’s version of Prom, and it’s not what she expects
    Wing It Like Witches (8/15)
    Not your average underdog story.
    Agony of a Witch (8/22)
    On a school field trip to the mysterious Emperor’s Castle, Luz strays from the group and into danger.
    Young Blood, Old Souls (8/29) (season finale)
    Luz’s skills as a witch are put to the test when she attempts the impossible.
    Family Guy Season 18 Ratings - Yacht Rocky: 1.5/5 Bri-Da: 2.5/5 Absolutely Babulous: 1.5/5 Disney's The Reboot: 1.5/5 Cat Fight: 1.5/5 Peter & Lois' Wedding: .5/5 Heart Burn: 1.5/5 Shanksgiving: .5/5 Christmas is Coming: 2/5 Connie's Celica: 0/5 Short Cuts: 2/5 Undergrounded: 1.5/5 Rich Old Stewie: 3.5/5 The Movement: .5/5 Baby Stewie: 0/5 Start Me Up: 1/5 Coma Guy: 1/5 Better Off Meg: .5/5 Holy Bibble: 0/5 Movin' In (Principal Shepherd's Song): 0/5
    American Dad! Season 16 Ratings - 100 Years a Solid Fool: 0/5 A Starboy is Born: 1/5 Tapped Out: 0/5 Brave N00b World: 0/5 Into the Woods: 0/5 One Fish, Two Fish: 1/5 Exquisite Corpses: 2/5 Trophy Wife, Trophy Life: 1.5/5 Game Night: 2/5 American Data?: 0/5 Salute Your Sllort: 0/5 Ghost Dad: .5/5 Men II Boyz: 0/5 First, Do No Farm: 1.5/5 Roger Needs Dick: 0/5 The Old Country: TBD

I didn't watch last weeks episode until yesterday and followed it up today with the latest one (same thing with the latest Amphibia episodes) so here's my opinions:

'Adventures In The Elements' was pretty solid (and yes, I did not watch the leaked version months ago, which I still don't regret). Good straightforward story with Luz finding out that she must learn another spell to even make it into Hexside proper (as it takes two, not just one which she already can with the light spell, or she'll end up in the "baby class") and there's interesting stuff with her going with Eda on a trip onto the snowy mountain the Knee to train and learn her second spell. Amity as well as her twin siblings Emira and Edric also get a lot of focus here and are a lot of fun to watch as characters and interacting with both Luz and then also Eda (Amity is great at usual and has a nice low-key friendship with Luz and the twins are still entertaining characters, if not better and more likeable now).

Luz having troubles learning and stealing Amity's training wand (which has a battery meter, funnily enough) and Eda not taking it so well was a nice one & I liked the troubles with Luz hurting one of the yeti monsters, Slitherbeast, and Eda and the twins getting carried off by the monster, leaving Luz and Amity to help. I liked how Amity left Luz locked in an magic cage to protect her (not to be mean) and Luz by chance learning another spell by discovering glyphs, even in the snowflakes, and forces her way free with the ice spell. Good climax with her and Amity working together in the Slitherbeast cave to free Eda and the twins, with Luz using her new ice spell and Eda finishing off the monster by making it fall asleep with one of her powerful spells. It ends well with Eda proud of Luz and the latter avoiding the baby class.

The subplot with King making Eda's life-giving potion for his stuffed animal bootcamp which turns on him when the toys turn evil was pretty fun overall, especially the ending with King making friends with the ignored Hooty (by drawing him a body) and the latter making vicious work of the evil toys, leaving the house in a mess for eda and Luz to find in an funny end bit (with Hooty having scared himself with his cruelty to the evil toys). Not essential stuff at all but just an amusing side thing to add a little humor to the story.

'The First Day' was good too and I liked a bit more. A good intro episode for Luz starting her tenure at Hexside, beginning with a fun scene of her entrance exam for Principal Bump (and impressing him despite making a mess). It continued in a good fashion with her first day, having a friendly meeting with Amity (who did seem like in a real good mood), Bump introducing her to the various class tracks and Luz being confronted by the choice of one of the tracks, I loved the sorting hat gag (and it's follow up) & Luz getting put into the potions class, which doesn't work out for her. I like how Bump wasn't as big jerk but rather fair and making sense, even when he put Luz into the detention class as he caught her mixing two classes by being in the potion class but still trying out one of the oracle class orbs; no ill will, just following the rulebook (if slavishly).

The detention trio Luz met at the detention class was likeable crew (all having mixed two classes too), and them introducing her to the secret room hideout with hidden doors to every classroom, created by a Lord Calamity. Then there's the obvious moment of the detention trio overhearing Willow & Gus that Luz wants out of detention since she feels it's below her (its the typical forced conflict that drives the parties apart, but not too bad). The school inspector turns out to be an magic-eating basilisk monster (nice freaky designs) and it eats the magic of many students and Bum too, which leaves them weak, and Luz ends up stepping up with the detention trio and they defeat the basilisk with their mixed magic (and the stolen magic is returned to their rightful bodies) in an neat climax (the show does have a knack for action).

Luz stands up for herself and the trio to Bump with a pro-mixed track speech (and they did used the mix to save the school and everyone) and he relents a little and allow them to be in a mixed magic track, which was a nice ending (he's not such a bad guy, just obsessed with rules). I also liked the reveal that Lord Calamity was in fact Eda. Then there was the small subplot with King sneaking into the school to rummage through the garbage cans and ending up teaching a class in secret by posing as a teacher, but is found out by Bump (who chases him out with a broom, which was an hilarious last note), and it was a fun detour, if a little unnecessary (King doesn't need to be in every episode, I think).

So two good episodes overall despite some flubs. The show keeps getting better and I'm beginning to think that the school story might work out well and not limit the show as some have theorized.

And with this, my latest review session for the three main shows I watch (The Owl House, Amphibia & The Loud House) has started. One down, two to go.
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 07-31-2020 at 08:24 AM.

I found Adventures in the Elements very solid (and neither did I, CousinMerl). To quickly get rid of it, the subplot was decent, close to be good, and probably one of the best King subplots so far, I liked how Hooty has some focus in it (as well as showing that he can be more dangerous than he looks like) and the last moments between him and King while Eda and Luz came back home cracked me up, but still overshadowed by the main plot which is the real treat here. A nice plot about Luz having to learn a second spell in order to not be in the baby class at Hexside (and of course she didn't know), and a nice new setting with this snowy mountain. I enjoyed seeing all these characters in the same plot : Luz, Eda, Amity and her siblings. There's some really good chemistry between them in the whole episode (and like you said, Amity's siblings are more likeable and I liked that they can't be supportive to her despite the usual sibling rivalry), and it's no surprise a lot of people find Luz and Amity so cute together. Eda actually trying to be a good teacher for Luz is also a nice touch, even though Luz doesn't think so at first (and she still is very funny). The Slitherbeast problem is clumsily bringed up but the climax is still good, a nice way to show Luz can be more resourceful than she seems to be, and a nice new power for her, again it's interesting to see the way she gets them, as a human, with these symbols. Great stuff all around.

I'm more mixed about First Day to be honest even though I still think it's a good one and I dig a lot of things in it, but it has a lot of flaws; the main one has probably got to be the mediocre pacing. And this problem has an impact on other things, which is probably why it's the main problem to me. Again, we have a useless subplot, pretty funny but still useless, I think they gotta stop with these King subplots when they have such interesting stuff in their hands besides. So regarding the main plot, when an important event is bringed up, it often feels rushed. Especially with the fake school inspector that turned out to be a dangerous monster, it's so clumsily handled, I mean, just a minute after the inspector shows up, it's revealed to be a monster so the surprise fell a little flat in my opinion. The climax is still good but it still feels rushed and Bump changes his mind a bit too quickly at the end. I think this episode had too much content for its own good, and it should have been a two-parts one : Luz having to chose one magic track among several, the detention class with a secret room, the magic-eating monster, all of this is good stuff but it feels compressed in 22 minutes, and I'm personally a bit tired of such plots where a big menace shows up when there's by some miracle someone around who's the only one who can beat it. That doesn't mean it's bad, of course, but the pacing could've been better in my opinion. That being said, I really liked the worldbuilding in this episode, and the detention trio who leads to some important messages that I truly appreciated (too bad their conflict with Luz is a lot forced but not to the point where it sinks the whole episode). All in all, a clumsy but still good episode with a lot of good material.

Quote Originally Posted by Wile E. the Brain View Post
    I found Adventures in the Elements very solid (and neither did I, CousinMerl).
    What did you neither? I'm not sure I understand you there.

Also, I understand your grievances on 'The First Day' but I still like the episode just about as much as 'Adventures In The Elements' (but the former I liked a little bit more, I'd say). It was a packed episode and could have been trimmed down a little when it comes to the content or just expand it to two episodes to make the pacing less rushed (like you said), but for the most part it worked (and they did set up the magic-eating monster early on, with Bump watching the TV that a rival school had been attacked and had magic drained so it worked as the third act threat. I had almost forgotten it while watching as I figured it was a throwaway bit and once the monster revealed itself it came as a surprise).

Bump loosening up a little after Luz stood up to him was a little over the top (though then again, he had just had himself, his students and school saved by the gang so I could buy him being nice and seeing that it'd probably be a good idea to introduced a mixed magic class). I guess I wasn't so critical of it as I felt that it was handled well in the end: my only real problem with the episode was that the detention trio was pretty bland, plus the forced conflict between them and Luz I just didn't care for. As for the King subplot, I could take or leave, but I'd agree that it was pointless and to not have it would have helped as the central story could have been fleshed out so it was another little flaw to have it).

As for the Slitherbeast in the previous episode, was it really that clumsily brought up? They set it up well at the start when Luz and Eda saw one on their trek up the mountain so to have one of those creaures become a problem as the main conflict made sense and was fairly well implemented as a way of Luz and Amity working together and the former showing off her new spell (which the Slitherbeast situation created).

@CousinMerl,

What did you neither? I'm not sure I understand you there.
    I meant to say that I didn't watch the leaked version and I don't regret it either. Sorry about the misunderstanding.

It was a packed episode and could have been trimmed down a little when it comes to the content or just expand it to two episodes to make the pacing less rushed (like you said), but for the most part it worked
    Yeah I agree, for the most part it was good enough and interesting, like I said I like the overall worldbuilding in this episode. Besides, I'd take a packed episode that feels rushed over a lazy and empty episode anytime. At least I can feel the effort put into it.

(and they did set up the magic-eating monster early on, with Bump watching the TV that a rival school had been attacked and had magic drained so it worked as the third act threat. I had almost forgotten it while watching as I figured it was a throwaway bit and once the monster revealed itself it came as a surprise)
    Yeah, true that. Even though, I still think it could've been better handled, but it's a matter of opinion I guess. Besides, wonder what did happen to that rival school after that incident.

Bump loosening up a little after Luz stood up to him was a little over the top (though then again, he had just had himself, his students and school saved by the gang so I could buy him being nice and seeing that it'd probably be a good idea to introduced a mixed magic class).
    Like I said I get the idea and I agree, they saved the school and showed how good and promising of an idea a mixed magic class can be, but I still thinked his final decision was kinda rushed, at least in the execution of the scene. But, it's not that much of a problem, granted, it's not completely out of nowhere.

As for the Slitherbeast in the previous episode, was it really that clumsily brought up? They set it up well at the start when Luz and Eda saw one on their trek up the mountain so to have one of those creaures become a problem as the main conflict made sense and was fairly well implemented as a way of Luz and Amity working together and the former showing off her new spell (which the Slitherbeast situation created).
    I meant when Luz accidentally throw a spell on him while he was far from them. It felt a bit contrived in my opinion. I didn't meant his introduction which on the contrary is a good way to prepare us. And that doesn't make the climax any less good, like I said (really liked seeing the two girls working together).

@Wile E. the Brain

I meant to say that I didn't watch the leaked version and I don't regret it either. Sorry about the misunderstanding.
    Oh yeah, I see now what you meant. It was for sure worth it waiting for that episode. Good one.

Besides, wonder what did happen to that rival school after that incident.
    Seems to me like those who were drained there had their magic returned to them just like with those at Hexside as shown after Luz & the gang defeated the magic-eating basilisk monster and things went back to normal. Speaking of that rival school, I'm guessing there will be an school vs. school episode later on.

I meant when Luz accidentally throw a spell on him while he was far from them. It felt a bit contrived in my opinion. I didn't meant his introduction which on the contrary is a good way to prepare us. And that doesn't make the climax any less good, like I said (really liked seeing the two girls working together).
    Yes, it was a little farfetched she'd hit the beast out of everything on the mountain but it worked as a third act starter and last conflict (which brought the two parties together) in spite of that so on that it seems we are in agreement. I hope there'll be more Luz & Amity team-ups later on, by the way; I love seeing them be friends.

Well, I'll briefly share my thoughts on last night's double feature:

Really Small Problems: I'll give it credit that it was at least better than Little Dipper which is what I was reminded of when it was first announced. But at the same time, as I'd also predicted I didn't care all that much for it and as has been the case with me and many an episode of American Dad! within the last few years I completely lost interest altogether once we reached the altercation at the end of act 2 to lead us into act 3's climax. Still a better episode than Something Ventured, Something Framed , but also worse than sense and Insensitivity because this one doesn't benefit from a subplot that feels like it should've been the main.

Understanding Willow - Definitely lived up to my expectations based on what was revealed in it's original synopsis and the glimpses shown in the trailer by providing us with some insight for how Willow & Amity used to be friends... As well as the reason for why it came to an end.

So yeah, as I mentioned originally when it was revealed that these two episodes would air on the same night, this was pretty much the best option they could've done which is having the latter good episode make up for the subpar one that came before it. Though I've also heard that another potential reason for this decision was because they didn't want next week's episode to overshadow or be overshadowed by Amphibia on the night it would've originally aired (the 15th) because we all know why the episode for the latter is gonna be a big deal on that night.

I think it was really odd that they had two episodes within a day instead of one ep per weekend, but it was still nice to get a double feature (even though it meant one week less of the show). I would still really like to know why they packed in two in a night (if you ever find out why on social media etc, then do get back @John95).

Anyhow, I'll add my two cents as well on the two of them:

'Really Small Problems' was pretty meh, but still decent overall. Nice premise with the trio going to the carnival, King wanst to spend the day with Luz & Tibbles comes back and plans revenge (strange how they apologized to him as he was/is the villain). King being ignored by Luz for Willow & Gus, tricked by Tibbles (who utilizes a really poor disguise as a fortuneteller, which King is dumb enough to fall for) into making the latter two "disappear" by spraying them with a magic spray and spending the day bonding with Luz was a decent story (mostly as it humanized King and made him less like just the comic relief). Then there's Willow & Gus being miniaturized and have to make them selves seen to Luz (nothing too interesting, just the expected "characters get shrunk" stuff), the Luz & King bonding scenes were nice (the locket business was kinda cute) & Eda gets arrested by the "fun police" and has to work as a snack salesgirl (which was quite amusing).

I liked that the miniaturization plot didn't take up all of the episode & the climax with Luz & King getting miniaturized by Tibbles too (after the truth came out from King) and having to fight his miniaturized, vicious animals (mainly unicorns) and escape was alright, but nothing more or engrossing. King is redeemed when tricking Tibbles into undoing the mini-spell & the latter is chased off by the now normal-sized unicorns (after Eda dumps candied apples onto him; I had expected him to get miniaturized himself so a little disappointed he got off lightly). The ending was funny (with Hooty still being alone and accidentally eating his new fly "friend"). An OK episode which I never got into that much; it just felt a little lame and too messy for its own good (I actually struggled a little writing this review due to how all over the place it was). Probably one of my least favorites this season and felt rather throwaway and not really adding much to the overarching story (aside from giving King development), but not too bad.

'Understanding Willow' was much, much better and in all honesty a great episode. Loved the plot which had some nice character building and drama to top it off. Great stuff with Amity accidentally destroying Willows memories (that Luz had extracted photos of from the latter's ears in an magic class, which was a fun concept) as she tries to erase only one of them (her and Willow having been friends) out of shame, causing Willow to have her memory viped and Luz & Amity having to venture into Willow's mind to restore the memories so she goes back to normal (Luz & Amity team-up adventure, yes). It is not the most original story (reminding me of 'Dreamscaperers' of 'Gravity Falls' with the paintings to another world, representing a memory of Willow's, like the doors in that episode). Some solid stuff here, with the various memories, Amity trying to keep "the big one" (which depicts young Amity and Willow) a secret & a lot of emotional bits (that improved not only Amity but Willow as well, whom I didn't really care for that much before. Also, it looks like she has two dads?).

It was obvious the fire monster was Willow's inner self & the climax with Inner Willow forcing Amity to confront the memory Amity is ashamed of (why the two friends broke up) was a great one; like I guessed, it was Amity's parents who had forced her to break up with Willow, being magic supremacists who hated the fact she was friends with an untalented weakling, threatened to disallow her to go to Hexside with Willow there & picked out "proper" friends (pretty cruel). She admits she wasn't strong enough to stand up to them and apologizes, by so kills Inner Willow's anger which restores the memories, Luz & Amity return from Willow's mind and Amity goes home happy (still having her friendship with Willow in repair). A nice end (though think she was too harsh on herself: having your domineering supremacist parents force you to unfriend someone or you cannot go to your dream school when you have been drilled into being a perfect witch would obviously make a child like her cave in. I really felt bad for her).

As much as I liked this episode, I did not care for the forced subplot (Gus spending the time Luz & Amity are in the sleeping Willow's mind doing homework and interviewing Eda & King for his journalism class). I found it really pointless, pretty unfunny (aside from the very end with Hooty getting chosen) and clashed poorly against the dramatic main plot (almost taking me out of it every time they cut away), but I can understand those who do get something out of it, but as for me, I didn't really care for it. Must they always have some sort of subplot going on? Anyhow, an very good episode despite the lame subplot.
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 08-03-2020 at 05:25 AM.

Blog Entries

this show is really good

the fact that it’s really making good on having queer characters (willow’s dads, amity seemingly) in the forefront is really cool for Disney channel.

King is obviously everything tho. Professor king best ep
    twitter

Quote Originally Posted by IdiotDetector View Post
    Two and a Half Men is no more an "adult show" than "Rocket Power."

@CousinMerl,

I would still really like to know why they packed in two in a night
    Like I said, it's possible they wanted to change next week's episode to have it air sooner because it's actually getting a bit of build up and they likely didn't want it overshadowing or being overshadowed by Amphibia on the night it would've originally aired because that's the same night as Marcy at the Gates. That, or even my own my own personal belief that even they knew that the first episode wasn't all that great and decided to make up for that by pairing it with one that I'm sure a lot of people were looking forward to.

that improved not only Amity but Willow as well, whom I didn't really care for that much before. Also, it looks like she has two dads?
    Huh, I've actually always liked Willow, though I can't say I care all that much for Gus. And yeah, Willow has two daddies (which in literally said out loud when I realized that). Took me a bit to realize that though as I didn't pick up on that at first.

As much as I liked this episode, I did not care for the forced subplot
    Yeah, this was one instance where they didn't need a subplot and it feels like it was there to fill up time. The cut to Eda & King not being able to hear Luz's bell was probably the most forced moment of all.

though think she was too harsh on herself
    I too felt bad for Amity, but I don't think she was being hard on herself. It's one thing to be forced by your parents to hang out with "Friends" that this episode makes more clear than ever that she doesn't even really seem to like, but it's another to essentially insult your former friend in the past instances we've seen her do so, and I'm sure she was doing that almost as soon as she was told to no longer hang out with Willow.

@John95

Like I said, it's possible they wanted to change next week's episode to have it air sooner because it's actually getting a bit of build up and they likely didn't want it overshadowing or being overshadowed by Amphibia on the night it would've originally aired because that's the same night as Marcy at the Gates. That, or even my own my own personal belief that even they knew that the first episode wasn't all that great and decided to make up for that by pairing it with one that I'm sure a lot of people were looking forward to.
    That is an possible theory, but we cannot really know for sure unless they give an concrete answer, maybe via social media or an Ask Me Anything on Reddit or something.

Huh, I've actually always liked Willow, though I can't say I care all that much for Gus. And yeah, Willow has two daddies (which in literally said out loud when I realized that). Took me a bit to realize that though as I didn't pick up on that at first.
    Never said I disliked Willow and I always liked her just fine too, but it's just that I wasn't that invested in her before this episode, which really made her more interesting (which is funny since the episode is called 'Understanding Willow'). Gus I agree is kinda lame, though (he's pretty much just there as the geek). Also, I must have missed it being said out loud that she has two dads (when did that happen, btw?); still, I think the image itself got the point across nicely and naturally.

Also, was thinking on Ryan's post above yours: is Amity supposed to be gay? I feel she has come off as pretty straight, such as having drawn romantic fan art of herself with a pretty boy character and a few other moments, but I guess they could have her be bi if they want to (which could work for the character, I think).

I too felt bad for Amity, but I don't think she was being hard on herself. It's one thing to be forced by your parents to hang out with "Friends" that this episode makes more clear than ever that she doesn't even really seem to like, but it's another to essentially insult your former friend in the past instances we've seen her do so, and I'm sure she was doing that almost as soon as she was told to no longer hang out with Willow.
    Yes, you are right that she wasn't that hard on herself, with how it turned out with her "friends" (whom she enabled and led against the likes of Willow up to the earlier episodes of the season, while she now mostly seem to hang around with them, with three-eyed Boscha having taken over as leader of the gang) and how she ended up being toward Willow on her own with the insults and all (which was all wrong of course).

I still mostly blame her parents for being awful people who made her into that outwardly terrible girl in the first place (and if she really turned on Willow in an instant after her parents forbade the two from hanging out, I think they should get the most of the blame), though now she might end up rebelling against them (which I hope). I was merely simplifying a little too much by focusing mainly on the parents when Amity clearly should get her share of the blame. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 08-03-2020 at 02:04 PM.

@CousinMerl
    Also, I must have missed it being said out loud that she has two dads (when did that happen, btw?)
    It never did. It's just that I myself said out loud "Oh, Willow has two daddies!" once I'd realized that she did because I didn't pick up on that initially.

Also, was thinking on Ryan's post above yours: is Amity supposed to be gay?
    Yeah, they've been dropping some hints that Amity has feelings for Luz, specifically these past few episodes (most obvious being here where she blushes when Luz hugs her), and the show's creator herself has hinted at this on her social media. This is also why there's some buildup for this week's episode (the one that was originally to air next week alongside Marcy at the Gates) judging from some scenes shown in the trailer. Though I too am sticking with the idea that she might be bisexual because I didn't pick up on the feelings she has for Luz until a few pointed it out shortly before returning from hiatus.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CousinMerl View Post
    Also, was thinking on Ryan's post above yours: is Amity supposed to be gay? I feel she has come off as pretty straight, such as having drawn romantic fan art of herself with a pretty boy character and a few other moments, but I guess they could have her be bi if they want to (which could work for the character, I think). .
    yeah, I think she's supposed to be bi. like john said, they're very much pushing the idea that amity has a crush on luz, and dana terrace doesn't even attempt to deny it. "understanding willow" had many points in this direction: she blushes whenever luz supports her or hugs her, looks down at her hand whenever luz takes it and is genuinely concerned about luz's perception of her (avoiding the memory of her shunning willow). there's a few moments that allude to this beforehand (like her anxiety rant about luz in "the first day"), but I was stunned that they're being so forthcoming about it.

good for dana and her crew for it, though.

15. Thumbs Up To This Post by: orangemo

Quote Originally Posted by John95 View Post
    @CousinMerlIt never did. It's just that I myself said out loud "Oh, Willow has two daddies!" once I'd realized that she did because I didn't pick up on that initially.
    Oh, seems like I misread your post. My mistake. I still do think they did the reveal well and naturally with the photo either way.

As for Amity's sexuality, both you and @Ryan. I too have noticed some hints for sure, even if it's nothing completely confirmed. She has been blushing a few times around Luz but it could just mean regular embarassment, though it is very likely she has feelings for Luz (and I saw Dana hinting towards her sexuality on an screencap of a social media post) which would work for the character as said.

Luz, however, has been portrayed as fairly straight so I dunno if Luz & Amity would work as a pairing. I actually hope they will stay as close friends (guys have bromances so why can't they have a sismance? those are kinda rare in modern animation to my knowledge). A number of modern animated shows have had the lead female and an major female supporting character become a couple ('Legend Of Korra' & the Netflix 'She-Ra' for instance) so I kinda hope for something new, at least that Amity will hook up with another girl than the main character.

I love their friendship dynamic and I'd prefer if love didn't get in the way of that, but it were to become an item (with Luz revealed to be bi as well) I'd be more than okay with it. Dana & crew have done good work so far so I think they could deliver there as well.
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 08-09-2020 at 02:29 AM.

17. Thumbs Up To This Post by: orangemo

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

Why is produced episode 117 missing? Is it being heldover for season 2?
    The Central, King of Harts, Burger-loving, American family guy.

CROSSING SWORDS SEASON 1 * PILOT 0/5 * EPISODE 2 0.5/5 * EPISODE 3 0/5 * EPISODE 4 0/5 * EPISODE 5 0/5 * EPISODE 6 0.5/5 * EPISODE 7 1/5 * EPISODE 8 2.5/5 * EPISODE 9 3/5 * EPISODE 10 3/5

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

It's time I gave some of my thoughts on the episodes. A bit late but better late than never.

Sense and Insensitivity (111)

This one was pretty good imo. It's the typical "stealing your idea from your friend" but I think it works for the better. There's some good action scenes, but the end was a bit underwhelming, for time constraints of course, and even the subplot with Eda and her sister being "scammed" by someone was pretty good too. Since this show focuses most on Luz, it's nice to see her step back and let King take the spotlight for an episode. Not the best episode but it was a good return.

B+

Adventures in the Elements (110)

I really liked this one. Learning about Luz and Amity was great and we got to see Luz learn something new. It's amazing how carefree yet determined she is. I know people dislike her but she's a great, yet flawed character imo. I liked that Amity's siblings made an appearance as well, even if their roles were minor. Seeing Luz learn something new and actually being brave about it was great too. Of course, the scene where Luz saves everyone was my favorite. And the subplot with King and Hooty was pretty funny as well. One of the show's best so far.

A-

The First Day (113)

While I wish Amity had a bigger role in this episode, I thought it was good for the most part. It's yes a bit predictable, but still nice to see how Luz interacts with everyone at school. The Principal is still a character I'm not warmed up to yet as he's just seen as an unlikeable jerk to me, but maybe he'll have a redemption arc. My favorite part of this one was when we find out that Eda was the one student who wanted to learn everything but wasn't given the opportunity to, which is nice that Luz is able to learn multiple things. It's like that in real life too, you can learn anything as long as you put your mind to it. King's subplot was funny too but not the major focus here.

B+

Really Small Problems (112)

This one was good. Even Eda's subplot where she has to serve candy "crab"-apples was pretty funny too. The hiding of the antagonist, seeI I already forgot his name that's how a terrible character he is, was pretty poor in my opinion, but the way he captures them was great. Seeing King sacrifice the bracelet was pretty sweet too. It was nice that the shrinking didn't take up the whole thing, but I think the episode took a bit too long to get to the good stuff. One of the weaker outings of the show, but for a show this good compared to the other new ones I've watched, a nice addition to a great series.

B

Understanding Willow (114)

Okay, gonna keep it real, this might just be my favorite in the series so far. It solves a question people have been wondering about Willow and Amity, since this show airs out of production order, there must be some reveals about it before this episode. I remember them having a relationship so it's really nice to see an episode dedicated to it. It starts off fairly well, with Amity seeing her photo as a younger child with Willow and burning it and them quickly going to Eda for help. Eda is just great. I love her.

The subplot with Gus and Eda and King was pretty funny too. It was absolutely hilarious when he gave the interview to Hooty instead and then got annoyed by him.

Back to the main for my review, it's really cool how they can fix memories in this world. I wish we could in real life. Seeing Luz and Amity fix things together is great. And also I did not expect the villain to be "Inner Willow". This show can amaze me with the twists and turns it has and that's why I really enjoy it.

I think the real highlights to this is Amity's character. From the moment we first saw her, we all expected her to be a rival of Luz's friends, and just an unlikeable, snobby one too. But now, our perspective of that has changed. There's tons of Amity fandom online because of the arc the character has. It's revealed that she still does care about Willow, and it wasn't her fault that she broke ties with Willow, but rather her parents', and it's nice that WIllow can get some sort of closure. It's not the right thing to do but I hope this is a start for their redemption arc. I think having Amity be flawed herself is better than her being the #1 at everything because it makes her more relatable. Seeing inner Willow and Amity forgive each other was really heartwarming to watch, another thing this show excels, like Bob's Burgers.

Overall, this was a really great episode and so far is the best in my opinion. I'm giving it my highest mark. It's clear Dana Terrace, Alex Hirsch, and company have really put a lot of heart and passion into this series. It really shows because each episode is at least good and there are a lot of moments in this show I really enjoyed. I'm glad I gave this show a first watch because so far, it has really paid off and I can't wait to see the last 4 episodes (cause once September starts I'm gonna have a lot of shows to catch up on and start watching with new episodes). And for those of you petitioning to cancel the series cause it's "devilish to children", just FUCK OFF. It's fine you don't like it, just don't watch it and make a huge scene that no one gives a shit about. There's tons of programming to watch for that reason. Not every show is going to be for everyone. Disney did a great job greenlighting and even renewing this show in advance!

Also, one thing. I'm not sure but are Willow's parents both males or is one of the males one of her older brothers? That would need some explanation down the road. It's likely something that has to do with Boiling Isles logic, idk.

A
    Last edited by orangemo; 08-03-2020 at 04:56 PM.

Blog Entries

well if you didn’t think amity was queer after grom idk what to tell you

Dana terrace also confirmed luz is bi as well

Great ep btw, love the dance

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by orangemo View Post
    And for those of you petitioning to cancel the series cause it's "devilish to children", just FUCK OFF. It's fine you don't like it, just don't watch it and make a huge scene that no one gives a shit about. There's tons of programming to watch for that reason. Not every show is going to be for everyone. Disney did a great job greenlighting and even renewing this show in advance!
    I'm not one of those guys who want it to be cancel it. I'm surprised on how must controversy this show has caused, when you look back to Homer's Phobia, it was praised by most. I like this show as well, and I think it's way better than many recent LGBT centered Simpsons episodes (Maybe not Livin' La Pura Viva, though)

Yeah, not really much more I can say about Enchanting Grom Fright other than I liked it, though for all the hype this one got I prefer the previous episode more

And as @Ryan pretty much mentioned, this episode more or less confirms that Amity has feelings for Luz. And while I'm not a mega fan of the pairing (mainly because they aren't even one at this point), I'm sure all the Lumity fans were very satisfied and if so more power to them.

What I will say though is that one of the scenes from the trailer finally comes into play in this episode, though not in the way you'd expect. Plus, the episode ends on a Wham Shot that I (or anyone) didn't see coming!

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

Enchanting Grom Fright

Well the continuity of this show is finally settling in. Luz’s mom reaches out and she faced her biggest fear. And I liked how Amity’s biggest fear was asking Luz because it shows that Amity has flaws which honestly makes her a better character. King was funny as always too.

Not a fan of Luzmity either but I’ll take it if that’s what the show is giving us.

Great episode

B+

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trab Pu Kcip View Post
    I'm not one of those guys who want it to be cancel it. I'm surprised on how must controversy this show has caused, when you look back to Homer's Phobia, it was praised by most. I like this show as well, and I think it's way better than many recent LGBT centered Simpsons episodes (Maybe not Livin' La Pura Viva, though)
    Livin’ La Pura Vida was great because Fortune Feimster’s performance was excellent (she’s a lesbian). She also plays Brenda in Bless the Harts.

@orangemo, Maybe I should've worded what I said differently because I do like Lumity, just not as much when compared to most of the others that do (or at least for the moment, hopefully later episodes will change that).

26. Thumbs Up To This Post by: orangemo

Thread Information