Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Owl House

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

@CousinMerl
    the episode had a surprising lack of Amity. I was thinking she'd pop up but I guess not
    I thought she would've at least gotten a cameo too but I guess not. Kinda felt a little weird seeing her older siblings appear without her even if they were also cameos.
    Family Guy Season 18 Ratings - Yacht Rocky: 1.5/5 Bri-Da: 2.5/5 Absolutely Babulous: 1.5/5 Disney's The Reboot: 1.5/5 Cat Fight: 1.5/5 Peter & Lois' Wedding: .5/5 Heart Burn: 1.5/5 Shanksgiving: .5/5 Christmas is Coming: 2/5 Connie's Celica: 0/5 Short Cuts: 2/5 Undergrounded: 1.5/5 Rich Old Stewie: 3.5/5 The Movement: .5/5 Baby Stewie: 0/5 Start Me Up: 1/5 Coma Guy: 1/5 Better Off Meg: .5/5 Holy Bibble: 0/5 Movin' In (Principal Shepherd's Song): 0/5
    American Dad! Season 16 Ratings - 100 Years a Solid Fool: 0/5 A Starboy is Born: 1/5 Tapped Out: 0/5 Brave N00b World: 0/5 Into the Woods: 0/5 One Fish, Two Fish: 1/5 Exquisite Corpses: 2/5 Trophy Wife, Trophy Life: 1.5/5 Game Night: 2/5 American Data?: 0/5 Salute Your Sllort: 0/5 Ghost Dad: .5/5 Men II Boyz: 0/5 First, Do No Farm: 1.5/5 Roger Needs Dick: 0/5 The Old Country: 0/5 Businessly Brunette: TBD The Chilly Thrillies: TBD Dammmm, Stan: TBD

@John95, It was a little odd that they showed up and she didn't, but I think them gettng a cameo was a nice alternative (much as they have only appeared once before). While her absence was felt, I didn't really mind it and aside from a cameo she wouldn't have served much of a purpose in the plot. The episode did however make me wish for an eventual scene where she'll defend Luz from someone like Mattholomule.

What do you think of the way the story seem to progress with the prospect of the high school plot seeming to get more prominent ahead? Maybe my skepticism toward it is a bit unnnecessary since now that I think of it, this change might add some interesting things to the story and open up more possibilities going forward.

Might as well quickly say that I thought Escape of the Pailsman was decent and a good episode to enter into the hiatus on.

As for the hiatus, my best prediction is that it'll last as long as most during season ones do which is about three months. Good thing that DuckTales (and the Harley Quinn series) are returning in about two weeks so that they can momentarily fill the void as most of my other shows that I'm currently watching have either ended (Rapunzel's Tangled Adventure), are ending (Steven Universe which ends this Friday) or are going into/still are in hiatus until further notice (The Loud House, this one, Big Hero 6, Amphibia, etc.)

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

Escape of the Pailsman as a solid episode. But why does this show have to go on hiatus? Why? I liked both stories Luz proves her loyalty while King gets into a mess of his own. He's pretty funny for a kids show. 4/5

Didn't expect to see your opinions on the mid-season finale just yet. I'll add my own thoughts too.

'Escape Of The Pailsman' was another pretty solid episode, maybe not one of the strongest thus far but still quite nice.

Enjoyable main plot with Luz intending to take Eda's magical staff for a ride to some high school even with her best friends Willow and Gus but ending up in an accident where Owlbert (the staff talisman owl) gets hurt (a crack across his head) and flies off & the trio get into trouble with the Bat Queen whom puts Luz through a series of trials (or rather tasks) to prove her worth get Owlbert back; nice with a focus on Owlbert and his hurt feelings, I did not expect to see the Bat Queen back (I actually thoughts she'd be more of a joke character intended for one episode) but I liked the choice of bringing her back & the twist with the palisman secret was interesting one (and it seems like it will be followed up upon, with Luz promising to help her). Nice ending with Owlbert getting into Luz' boo-boo buddy club (and stinger with the Queen) The only thing I'm disappointed in was a bit of poor continuity, with the Bat Queen not recognizing Luz from before or seem to remember Eda having looked after her kids, but it's just a nitpick.

The subplot with King, intent on conquering the local playground with the slide as his throne, taking advantage of Eda having trouble with her demon curse (which has inexplicably left her almost completely transformed save for one eye and a simpler and more impressionable mind) and having her scare off the kids, but her ending up getting captured and taken away by the local animal control so King has to go rescue her. This was an enjoyable follow-up on Eda's curse subplot, having an fun little side story for King & it was interesting to see another side of Eda's demon form (also good jokes about her taking a bite of various things, like the slide & a swing; the latter which she coughs up at the end) & the demon hunters demoted to animal control people was an amusing gag. King was pretty funny here (I liked his squealing tantrum which also became a plot point) and Eda had some good moments (and herelixir having stopped working was most intriguing) so all good on this end. About on par with the main plot.

So yeah, another good one overall, presenting two fun and also interesting plotlines with some added backstory, lore & character developments and all that. A perfectly fine mid-season finale (though no Amity in this one; I think she'd have been more interesting instead of Willow and Gus in this one, actually). I do hope that the hiatus won't be more than three months like you say, @John95. While it's good Ducktales is coming back, I would like it even more if Amphibia did so (I like that one much more than the former).

I saw they released a promo with what's to come in the season's second half.

Looks like the snow day episode will be among these (Eda and Luz in winter gear, the former with a lot of snowballs in her mouth, was one of the first non-promo images I saw from the show,). Seems like Amity will return in that one, too.

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CousinMerl View Post
    I saw they released a promo with what's to come in the season's second half.

Looks like the snow day episode will be among these (Eda and Luz in winter gear, the former with a lot of snowballs in her mouth, was one of the first non-promo images I saw from the show,). Seems like Amity will return in that one, too.
    Ugh why can’t they just release them all now (1 a week until 19)? Cable companies are terrible at scheduling things.

Have Brain, Will Travel Wile E. the Brain's Avatar

Boy, so many episodes to catch up as far as reviewing goes. Well, no time to waste, let's take advantage of the show's current break.

Hooty's Moving Hassle (I dig that title and plot reference) is good. The Moonlight Conjuring idea, used on the titular house, sounded good and they took good advantage from it. It's a pretty straightforward plot that was handle pretty well. Maybe the hunters idea is a bit phoned but that doesn't mean it's bad, they have their fun moments too (the jokes they made about the fact they're against kids and can't get rid of them are kinda priceless). There's also a second plot about Eda trying to get more elixir when she's out of it that is also quite enjoyable, giving her some kind of game addiction is both coherent and funny and I like how both stories were tied at the end. It shows once again the nice bonding there is between Eda and Luz when the latter manages to make something pretty awesome, I definitely love these two girls. Also, there's some potential about the fact Willow and Amity used to be friends and the latter giving up on her when she became more powerful. A nice episode all around.

Lost in Language is up there with Covention as my favorite episode from this season so far. I love pretty much everything about this episode, from the idea of making it happen into a library and the idea of book contents being bringed to life (a lot of things in this episode reminded me the climax of The Day the Earth Stood Stupid from Futurama, including the way Amity and Luz fight against the altered version of the rabbit-like creature) to the character development, the creative content to the emotional aspect, everything was done almost flawlessly. I'm glad to see so much done with Amity so quickly and seeing her getting more dimensional is a joy to watch, seeing her self-insecurities is a very good touch, the bonding between her and Luz is great and giving her siblings adds something to her stand-offish personality. This episode is a lot heartwarming and heartfelt as well. The subplot wasn't as great as the main one but remains very nice (again, showing a more caring side from Eda is nice, and funny considering the fact she accepted to do that bat-sitting only for the money at first). But I loved the main plot from A to Z, with some good jokes here and there as a nice bonus (Amity's siblings imitating her being annoyed to the point of almost passing out - which is revealed to actually not be exaggerated afterwards, Eda making the "rock-a-bye baby" gesture, Luz asking about her representation of the dress). An excellent episode.

Once Upon a Swap, on the other hand, has probably got to be my least favorite episode so far. I mean, it's still a decent enough episode, but far from being the most interesting or entertaining in my opinion. I certainly hoped a fresher take on this typical body swap episode where each character thinks it's better to be on another's shoes only to realize that it actually isn't (also, I don't remember which animation reviewer on YouTube really has a problem with body swap episodes where the voices are swapped as well - it was Mr Enter, wasn't it ? - but I thinked about him watching this one). This one is just okay in my opinion. The havoc caused by the characters being on another body is sometimes pretty funny and there are good lines (King being very confused by looking at Eda being in his body), but not enough to keep me entertained all the way through. Though, the very idea of the fact they challenge themselves in order to not have to clean Hooty made me laugh (really have the feeling that Hooty is the Zoidberg of The Owl House; yes, this show reminds me Futurama quite a lot). Also, the characters are sometimes a bit too stupid for my taste, especially Luz (at this point she must know that Eda has very good reasons to not bring the attention to herself when it comes to her store). King's part of the plot is the most entertaining, but in the end, it isn't more than a fine episode. I just wished they took a fresher point of view about that formula.

I'll save my reviews of the last two episodes for later.
    It ate EVERYBODY, stupid !

The Winter of Our Monetized Content - 2/5 / Go Big or Go Homer - 2/5 / The Fat Blue Line - 3.5/5 / Treehouse of Horror XXX - 2.5/5 / Gorillas on the Mast - 3.5/5 / Marge the Lumberjill - 2/5 / Livin' la Pura Vida - 4/5 / Thanksgiving of Horror - 4/5 / Todd, Todd, Why Hast Thou Forsaken Me - 2.5/5 / Bobby, it's Cold Outside - 2.5/5 / Hail to the Teeth - 1.5/5 / The Miseducation of Lisa Simpson - 3.5/5 / Frinkcoin - 2/5 / Bart the Bad Guy - 4/5 / Screenless - 3.5/5 / Better Off Ned - 1.5/5 / Highway to Well - 3/5 / The Incredible Lightness of Being a Baby - 2/5 / Warrin' Priests: Part One - 3/5 / Warrin' Priests: Part Two - 2.5/5 / The Hateful Eight-Year-Olds - 3.5/5 / Way of the Dog - TBA

@Wile E. the Brain, I agree with your thoughts on those episodes for the most part.

'Lost in Language' is by far my favorite of the first half of the season (along with 'Covention', a close second). Great plot with some solid character moments and development (especially for Amity, who is definitely not a big reason why I love this episode ) as well as humor, emotion & world building. 'Once Upon A Swap' is my least favorite (I still don't think it's a bad episode and it's pretty fun, just not up to par with the rest, not being very original & very predictable. The show has yet to have an actual bad episode in my opinion). I think I might rank all ten soon.

Looking at the season thus far, I'd go out on a limb and say that it is better than 'Gravity Falls' was up to this point. That one took around six episodes before it really grabbed me, while this one did so at the first or second episode.

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

I think my least favorite is the Something Ventured Something Framed and my most favorite is Lost in Language.

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

So the Owl House is airing new episodes in Turkey. They just got one last week. I'll watch it tomorrow and let you guys know what I think.
    The Central, King of Harts, American, family burger guy.

I read about the airing in Turkey a while back, but I'll wait for the proper official US airing of the new episodes, even though the one that did air ('Adventures In The Elements') looks to be a great one (which would make it worth waiting for).

13. Thumbs Up To This Post by: orangemo

Well, in that case I'll just say for now that yeah Adventures in the Elements was good. Honestly completely came out of nowhere as I was on my regular site for new episodes and there it was and a week after it's early release in Turkey.

Hopefully the show will return in June.

15. Thumbs Up To This Post by: orangemo

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by John95 View Post
    Well, in that case I'll just say for now that yeah Adventures in the Elements was good. Honestly completely came out of nowhere as I was on my regular site for new episodes and there it was and a week after it's early release in Turkey.

Hopefully the show will return in June.
    Likely September

I really hope it won't be until September before the show comes back. If that is the case, it will be hard not to be tempted by those early releases.

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

I saw the Adventures in the Elements episode. It was a lot better than I expected. The subplot was funny but ended just in time for action for the main to spring. I’ll admit it took a while to get started but it was interesting from start to finish and I enjoyed every minute of it.

4.5/5

Well, at least this show will be returning next month (along with Big City Greens for anyone else who watches it besides me).

Sense and Insensitivity (7/11)
    Adventures in the Elements (7/18)
    The First Day (7/25)

20. Thumbs Up To This Post by: orangemo

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

Well, at least this show will be returning next month (along with Big City Greens for anyone else who watches it besides me).

Adventures in the Elements (7/18)
    The First Day (7/25)
    I thought it wouldn’t return until September.

Happy to see there's at least one show I'm following that's coming back soon. Next month is a perfect date, that with the delay of 'Amphibia' (seems like 'The Owl House' was the lucky one, as I had not expected to see it back before the fall season).

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

Happy to see there's at least one show I'm following that's coming back soon. Next month is a perfect date, that with the delay of 'Amphibia' (seems like 'The Owl House' was the lucky one, as I had not expected to see it back before the fall season).
    You’re not following any adult animations?

The plots for the episode airing in July have been revealed:

When King becomes a bestselling author, he learns a valuable lesson in reading the fine print.
    The First Day (7/25)
    During Luz’s first day of Magic School, curiosity gets the best of her, and she finds herself thrown into the Delinquent Track, where she’s not allowed to learn magic.
    They'll also be at least two episodes airing in August called Really Small Problems and Understanding Willow on the 1st and 8th respectively. The former doesn't have a synopsis yet but the latter does:
    Luz, Willow, and Amity take a trip down Memory Lane

Those episodes sound good, especially the last one (which does seems like the most intriguing one. It also has Amity in it). Furthermore, I find it interesting that the leaked 'Adventure In The Elements is not the first one of these to air (I cannot find the production code so I dunno if it's the 12th episode in production order. If it was and 'Insensitivity' was the 11th it would make sense, but then again not all of the former episodes have aired in production order).

Have Brain, Will Travel Wile E. the Brain's Avatar

So since this series, along with Amphibia and Big City Greens, is back today, I think I should talk about the last two episodes I haven't talked about yet before calmly getting back into it.

Something Ventured, Someone Framed is a pretty good one, with the nice idea of having Gus to be the main character before everyone doesn't care about him. Though the plot didn't interested me a lot at first (Mattholomule is kind of what I expected a character like Amity to be at first if she wasn't that much really well written), it's a good idea to see him in such a delicate position about what seems to be his main personality trait so far, so I guess I can understand him when he lies to Luz about her ban at the high school, though of course it isn't depicted like a good idea. The whole detention idea is a creative concept, yet it makes me wondering about how extreme this high school is regarding its rules. Just like you CousinMerl I found Mattholomule predictable in what he does overall, but fortunately, he wasn't annoying enough to sink this whole episode. But I also prefered the subplot with Eda which was both very funny and pretty sweet, to see what Eda is willing to do for Luz, I really dig how their relationship goes so far. The ending is satisfying and not too "all's well" (Gus deserves what he got), but I'm skeptical too about Luz being allowed as a student at Hexside. I don't think it will reduce that much the possibilities of the whole concept (though I do hope that it won't sacrifice the exploration of this universe), but I'm also skeptical about the fact that... well, Luz is supposed to be in this "summer camp" for a couple of months so it's strange that she doesn't think about it (I don't know if time works differently in this world, since Luz is apparently able to communicate with her mother through her phone from here). But hey, wait and see I guess. Good episode all in all (with a hilarious final scene).

Escape of the Palisman is a bit better. Though this time, I think the subplot, while being pretty funny (I like how they handle King's behavior with a blend between childish and demonic though the concept itself isn't that much original) and having something to do with an important element of the overall story with Eda's curse, along with more Eda/King dynamic, isn't as good nor interesting as the main one. I usually enjoy this kind of little quest and Luz, Willow and Gus have enough of good chemistry to make it work. It's enjoyable, well paced and I liked the focus on Owlbert, with Luz learning how to gain his trust in her. The overall idea of this plot is really nice, especially with the twist about the Bat Queen (which I agree is good to see again but this time with more development while her first appearance seemed at first like she was going to be a one-off character), justifying why she tries to protect the palismans and adding some good development to everyone. The stinger is quite promising as well. I don't have a lot to say about this one but it's a very nice episode anyway.

27. Thumbs Up To This Post by: orangemo

Glad you liked the last two episodes, @Wile E. the Brain. Now on to the new batch, of which I have yet to see episode 11.

(Mattholomule is kind of what I expected a character like Amity to be at first if she wasn't that much really well written)
    I would rather compare Amity with Boscha (the three-eyed pink skinned girl), as the latter seem to have filled the role of the predictable and fairly one-note unlikeable bully after Amity turned a complex, sympathethic & likeable character, but I see your point.

I'll briefly talk about yesterday's episode and... I dunno, maybe it's just me but I wasn't into this one all that much, at least when it came to the main plot. The subplot with Eda and Lilith (who I was thinking about the other day when wondering if she'd ever been called Lily before, and has as of this episode) was fine, though when looking for links to the episode I accidentally spoiled myself on it a little and at best the whole thing felt like an appetizer for the next time these two will interact which judging from a trailer I should've linked earlier will occur in The First Day. Speaking of that trailer, https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=joXZBYcGIbE

With that said, despite not being into the episode all that much, I would take it over Something Ventured, Something Framed as this was at least OK-ish while the aforementioned I'd consider to be the first bad episode of the series and I have no desire to revisit either. Good thing that Adventures in the Elements is a better episode thanks to it's early leak from Turkey.

Lastly, the show will continue airing new episodes through the end of August concluding with a double feature on the 29th where the latter episode will be the season finale with the next ones being (despite currently having no synopsis'):

Enchanting Grom Fright (8/15)
    Wing It Like Witches (8/22)
    Agony of a Witch & New Blood, Old Souls (8/29)

30. Thumbs Up To This Post by: orangemo

I watched the new episode today and I will do a little review of it tomorrow (hint: it wasn't bad at all), but I'll just add that to me the show has yet to have an bad episode (maybe it is only me of us around here who follows the show who think so). Even those episodes that I didn't like that much (such as 'Once Upon a Swap) still had some enjoyable and likeable stuff.

Next weeks will be interesting as it does seem like a good one with Amity back and all (if you hadn't guessed I do like that character). I didn't watch the leak from months back so it will be a new one for me.

So this'll be a double post since I don't want to wait much longer to review the first episode of the season's latter half, but anyway.

'Sense And Insensititivy' I ended up liking. Not a great one but a nice one overall.

Luz writing a book together with King was kinda fun, with some nice scenes (like their brainstorming session and Luz' disappointment when King takes over). King entering a partnership with the shifty publisher Piniet had some good moments, such as his despair once a second book is demanded and trying to get Luz to come work with him but failing due to hubris. The climax with the publisher forcing the two to write a book script together was decwnt (though the shrinking magic prison felt unoriginal), Piniet collecting authors as small living cubes was pretty funky & the duo's way of tricking the villain was nice. Tiny Nose (whom I find work best as an occasional joke character) wowing Piniet with her book script long to make him forget about King & Luz was a kinda funny solution (and the little cubed people got away, though I suppose they are stuck like that. Also the publisher getting away scot free was pretty lame; I would have preferred him not ensnaring more people). Decent story, mostly due to Luz & King's relationship.

The subplot with Eda competing with her sister Lilith to find the magical flower that may be the secret of eternal youth (Eda for herself & Lilith for the emperor) but ending up working together and bonding was solid. I liked their interactions, both the sibling rivalry kind and more heartfelt moments. It was obvious that the salesman creature that gave them both a map was tricking them (maybe they shouldn't have shown his map drawer?) and that the flower wasn't real, but I like them subverting it with Eda & Lilith not really reacting much when salesman creature revealed himself and his plan to suck their blood & they easily intimidate and defeat him (which was funny). The final scene with Lilith, now viewing her sister more positively, asking Eda to join the emperor's coven on her own volition (to also have the emperor take away her curse) was a great moment, with Eda turning her down says she'll heal herself and doesn't want to owe the emperor anything and they go their separate ways. Why wasn't this the main plot?

the shrinking magic prison felt unoriginal
    Not sure if this happened to you as well, but I immediately thought of the shrinking cube from the Season 1 finale of SvtFoE.

Also the publisher getting away scot free was pretty lame; I would have preferred him not ensnaring more people
    Yeah, I also thought that was lame and it felt a tad bit rushed as well. Though I felt like it didn't come across as egregious as Mattholomule being able to get away with what he did so I'm willing to give it a bit more of a pass.

It was obvious that the salesman creature that gave them both a map was tricking them (maybe they shouldn't have shown his map drawer?) and that the flower wasn't real, but I like them subverting it with Eda & Lilith not really reacting much when salesman creature revealed himself and his plan to suck their blood & they easily intimidate and defeat him (which was funny).
    I accidently spoiled myself on the reveal that he lied to them while I was looking for a link to the episode since my usual go-to didn't have it up yet. Though it was saved by the subversion of him being easily overpowered by Eda & Lilith

Why wasn't this the main plot?
    And I feel like this more or less sums up why I wasn't digging the episode very much outside of this plot: It felt like the plots were swapped meaning that what should've been the b-plot was turned into the main plot and vice-versa. As I alluded to in my initial thoughts, this plot despite being the better one ultimately feels like an appetizer for the next time Eda & Lilith interact which judging from that trailer I linked might happen in The First Day. And hopefully it'll be more fleshed out then than it was here.

Not sure if this happened to you as well, but I immediately thought of the shrinking cube from the Season 1 finale of SvtFoE.
    That's actually the main one I recalled (I'm wondering if they took inspiration from there, especially with it being used as coercion with the friend of the trapped person being forced into doing something for the villain).

Yeah, I also thought that was lame and it felt a tad bit rushed as well. Though I felt like it didn't come across as egregious as Mattholomule being able to get away with what he did so I'm willing to give it a bit more of a pass.
    I would agree it did feel rushed, as if they had packed in a bit too much in the plot (maybe even wrote themselves into a corner by making Piniet too OP) and I would so have preferred more of a closure on the character. Still, to me, Mattholomule was much less of an issue as he was just an pathethic little asshole who's not worth caring about while this guy was a full blown villain (sure, Matt did get what he wanted but no one cared and he got no respect, but Piniet got away with everything and will probably continue to trick and trap people, with Luz & King being unable to stop him). Why did the former instance bother you more?

I accidently spoiled myself on the reveal that he lied to them while I was looking for a link to the episode since my usual go-to didn't have it up yet. Though it was saved by the subversion of him being easily overpowered by Eda & Lilith
    Oh, luckily you didn't get it all spoiled. Gotta be careful with all the spoilers around.

And I feel like this more or less sums up why I wasn't digging the episode very much outside of this plot: It felt like the plots were swapped meaning that what should've been the b-plot was turned into the main plot and vice-versa. As I alluded to in my initial thoughts, this plot despite being the better one ultimately feels like an appetizer for the next time Eda & Lilith interact which judging from that trailer I linked might happen in The First Day. And hopefully it'll be more fleshed out then than it was here.
    Even though I did like the main story, I do agree that it would have been better if they had decided to make the plotlines switch places. Luz & King writing a bestseller definitely felt like a subplot & Eda and Lily's treasure hunt felt more meaty and main story material. Definitely looking forward to the continuation of the sisters' story arc as it gets better all the time.

@CousinMerl, I thought Mattholomule was a more annoying character than the publisher because he was a stock "Jerk for the sake of it" which is a character archetype that for the most part I can't stand. And the fact that the former did get what he wanted in the end combined with his aforementioned personality instantly cancelled out the fact that there was a price for his victory.

Thread Information