Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rate & Review: "The Winter of Our Monetized Content" (YABF19)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

is right behind you BloodySimpsonChibi's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This episode was surprisingly good, especially for an episode based off of monetized viral videos which I hate. I don't like the subplot being dropped the way it was.

6/10
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaine View Post
    I'd imagine patting Lisa on the head would sting, damn kids with their spiky heads.

Quote Originally Posted by CousinMerl View Post
    I was thinking of how the likes of @John95 and @Wile E. the Brain rating it 2/5 and it was nearing that for me at times, but I just never felt it got that bad.

It had some good ideas (the satirical topics were interesting as said) and had okay execution of it's elements (even with the disappointing endings that felt so sudden) and some decent jokes in there (and they really milked the monkey sniffing his finger and falling over with the later appearances but I didn't mind it so much; it was a fine silly callback joke). It's perfectly middle of the road average.

I'll just repeat myself with my wish that Selman would have helmed this one. He could possibly have turned this average episode into a really good 4/5 story.
    Yeah, this was definitely a 2.5 episode for me, but I always round up or down from half scores as a rule anyway and like you I thought it was just okay enough to earn a 3.
    SEASON 31 GRADES

The Winter of Our Monetized Content - 3/5 / Go Big or Go Homer - 2.5/5 / The Fat Blue Line - 3/5
    Treehouse of Horror XXX - 2/5 / Gorillas on the Mast - 2.5/5 / Marge the Lumberjill - 2/5
    Livin' La Pura Vida - 4.5/5 / Thanksgiving of Horror - 5/5 / Todd, Todd, Why Hast Thou Forsaken Me? - 3.5/5
    Bobby, It's Cold Outside - 2.5/5 / Hail to the Teeth - 2/5 / The Miseducation of Lisa Simpson - ?/5
    Frinkcoin - ?/5 / Bart the Bad Guy - ?/5 / Screenless - ?/5 / Better off Ned - ?/5

100% dumbass
    Blog Entries

Now I'm wondering. Maybe the ending might've been better if maybe it ended with Homer and Bart turning on... I forget the name, that hipster guy. Going either the route of their relationship improving like the episode implied, or getting worse to the point of discomfort and making them miserable, think on both ends asking them to literally try to kill one another probably would have been grounds for them both to gang up on him.

For as milked as it was also, I did actually like the monkey bit, I think in part it was making fun of how one-note a lot of these e-celebs can be (to the point of, iirc, outright reusing the same animation). It's something I can't really tell the intention behind but if that was it, it was a neat running gag.

Quote Originally Posted by BloodySimpsonChibi View Post
    This episode was surprisingly good, especially for an episode based off of monetized viral videos which I hate. I don't like the subplot being dropped the way it was.

6/10
    This is my same thought as well, and I originally wasn't going to bother watching it. My favorite part was when Homer and Bart held hands and later hugged.

Tho to be fair I've had a crappy last week so I appreciated a laugh lol. I'll have to re-watch it later on to see how I still feel about it, but for now I'll give it a 7/10

Blog Entries

A proper season premier, something we don't see often these days. I like both plots for most part but it feels like they could have done a lot more. The main plot with Homer and Bart going viral starts off well with Homer being ''flushed'' and starting his own talking show. The new hipster character is alright and responts well to the Homer/Bart duo. Lisa's plot in the detention center was interesting, I liked the direction it was going but there wasn't much payoff. This plot shows how good scenes at the school can be.

There were some good jokes aswell. My favorite is Homer painting his face back on after being covered fully yellow, his new look was quite funny. Homer laughing so long at the falling monkey was also pretty funny. Nelson not finding old Goosebumps comics to be scary, Comic Book Guy's livestream and the teachers finishing Lisa's plot were all pretty good jokes.

What I probably liked most is the Homer and Bart bonding that actually developed as they were fighting for viral videos. It fits the premise well if you look back at how many times Homer and Bart have been doing these thigns to each other for so long, and then have it used for a plot where they get filmed for others entertainment. The new hipster character fit in aswell who also gets some development. As for its shortcomings, the satire and some of the pacing could've been better. The Homer/Bart plot could have ended better if they turned against the hipster or tell the audience how stupid it is to watch things like them fighting in old gladiator style. The plot ended with Homer and Bart just hugging it out, Maggie gives them their only like and moves on to the next video. Might've been better if they kept Homer and Bart's destructive behaviour instead. As for Lisa's plot it just ends with a strike (because apparently the school teaches kids history till 1930 where this became a thing) and the school's solution is just to hire teachers to make nameplates instead. I do like the rest of the plot but they could've done more with the ending.

Overall its an alright episode. So I'll rate it an average:

3/5
    Episodes rated best and worst from each season:
    1: Krusty Gets Busted/Homer's Night Out 2: The Way We Was/Bart's Dog Gets an F 3: Colonel Homer/Dog of Death 4: Marge vs. The Monorail/So It's Come to This: A Simpsons Clip Show 5: Cape Feare/Bart Gets An Elephant 6: Treehouse of Horror V/Another Simpsons Clip Show 7: Mother Simpson/Homerpalooza 8: You Only Move Twice/The Canine Mutiny 9: Lisa's Sax/The Two Mrs. Nahasapeemapetilons 10: Lisa Gets an A/Sunday Cruddy Sunday 11: Behind The Laughter/Beyond Blunderdome 12: Trilogy of Error/The Computer Wore Menace Shoes 13: I Am Furious Yellow/Homer the Moe 14: The Dad Who Knew Too Little/Large Marge 15: The Way We Weren't/Diatribe of a Mad Housewife 16: Thank God Its Doomsday/Mommie Beerest 17: Marge's Son Poisoning/Bonfire of the Manatees 18: Marge Gamer/Revenge is Best Served Three Times 19: Treehouse of Horror XVIII/That 90's Show 20: Gone Maggie Gone/Coming To Homerica 21: O Brother, Where Bart thou?/The Devil Wears Nada 22: Homer Scissorhands/The Fool Monty 23: Holidays of Future Passed/Moe Goes From Rags To Riches 24: Adventures In Baby-Getting/Whiskey Business 25: Brick Like Me/White Christmas Blues 26: Bart's New Friend/The Musk Who Fell to Earth 27: Halloween of Horror/Every Man's Dream 28: There Will Be Buds/Moho House 29: Gone Boy/Throw Grampa from the Dane

Chatting Simpsons Since '93 Brad Lascelle's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CrumbBum View Post
    Tho to be fair I've had a crappy last week so I appreciated a laugh lol. I'll have to re-watch it later on to see how I still feel about it, but for now I'll give it a 7/10
    Hey @CrumbBum, I'm afraid I'm going to need a more precise score out of 5 for you as I'm not going to make a blanket assumption whether you want me to round up or round down. Make that change and I'll count your score up top with the others. Many thanks!
    SEASON 31 RANKINGS
    The Winter of Our Monetized Content - 1.5/5 / Go Big or Go Homer - 2.5/5 / The Fat Blue Line - 3.5/5
    THOH XXX = Danger Things - 2.5/5 / Heaven Swipes Right - 1.5/5 / When Hairy Met Slimy - 2/5
    Gorillas on the Mast - 3.5/5 / Marge the Lumberjill - 2/5 / Livin' la Pura Vida - 5/5
    THANKSGIVING OF HORROR = A-Gobble-ypto - 3/5 / The Fourth Thursday After Tomorrow - 5/5 / The Last Thanksgiving - 3.5/5
    Todd, Todd, Why Hast Thou Forsaken Me? - 3.5/5 / Bobby, It's Cold Outside - 2.5/5 / Hail to the Teeth - 1.5/5
    The Miseducation of Lisa Simpson - 2/5 / Frinkcoin - ?/5 / Bart the Bad Guy - ?/5
    Screenless - ?/5 / Highway to Well - ?/5 / Better Off Ned - ?/5

Quote Originally Posted by GlitterCat View Post
    I honestly wish the lisa in detention story was the main plot. The Bart and homer fights were a little too graphically violent. Nothing in the family guy range, but I remember seeing homer bleed and thinking it was excessive.
    I like the idea of the detention plot as the main story (it felt like it deserved to be one and would be better suited to it like I said) and the e-celeb plot would very well have worked as a subplot with better writing. They did overdo the violence in the fights (like Homer bleeding a little) but it wasn't that bad or big of a deal to me as it the injuries were luckily minor as they were just shaken off seconds afterwards (thankfully they aren't doing those gruesome blood & gore shock jokes like the majority of other adult animated series; that stuff is seriously a detriment and a crutch by now).

Quote Originally Posted by Venomrabbit View Post
    Now I'm wondering. Maybe the ending might've been better if maybe it ended with Homer and Bart turning on... I forget the name, that hipster guy. Going either the route of their relationship improving like the episode implied, or getting worse to the point of discomfort and making them miserable, think on both ends asking them to literally try to kill one another probably would have been grounds for them both to gang up on him.

This I would have liked. I felt like the hipster guy and the mindless horde of viral fans needed some form of comeuppance (which would have worked well for the satire by pointing out the lunacy of it all) but then they were just let off the hook and walked away out of the story (like the hipster silently did in the background with no scene of Homer & Bart telling this exploitative moneygrubber off).
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 10-01-2019 at 12:08 AM.

Ok this episode was all over the place but I'll try to be quick with some talking points with my grade at the end:

The good:

1. it was nice to see Bart and Homer have an episode they usually have with Marge and Lisa and not come out contrived.
    2. Lisa being outsmarted by Lindsey Naegel. Suck it Lisa. Btw, detention isn't suppose to be fun.
    4. The monkee smelling Homer's bellybutton goo then falling over was perfect. If you ever done it or to someone else you understand.
    5. The answer is M.J.
    6. St. Louis Cardinals

The bad:

1. The Vietnam jokes are getting old.
    2. The continuation jokes that go on forever. Stop. Just stop right now. Homer laughing for an hour. The monkee smelling its finger the third time was overkill.
    2. Hipsters suck.
    3. Why did Skinner take off his shirt? Just the jacket would have worked.
    4. Bart and Homer fighting would have been stopped by the authorities and Homer most likely have been arrested.
    5. Major League Baseball for preempting the only show I watch because of the playoffs.
    6. I hate the Breakfast Club.

I'm sure there are more talking points the only thing I can say is that the episode is missing something and it feel flat.

But the idea of a bunch of jackasses recording people fighting and killing each other for likes is just wrong. We have enough of this in real life as actual people do this and let people die instead of helping the person dying.

Marge send the kids to the neighbors. I’m coming home loaded.

Blog Entries

Homer finding the simian's reaction to smelling its own finger so humorous was consistent with his character because he got a kick out of simian films like APES a POPIN' It was a good running gag.

I also enjoyed the gag with the spray paint and marker. Beautiful animation.

I'd be willing to watch this episode again.
    Last edited by idm; 10-01-2019 at 10:14 PM.

10. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Szyslak100

Have Brain, Will Travel Wile E. the Brain's Avatar

@CousinMerl, I agree that The Simpsons, being a different kind of show than DuckTales, is more coherent when using it, but like I said, in this episode I felt like it was a lot forced and not clever overall, and they did nothing with it, and that's why it bothered me more than it should have. With a more proper use and some things removed (the backpack kid stuff once again, and the hipster being less of a cliché), it would've been more well integrated into the story, especially considering the fact they could've done something good and interesting with it, which they didn't. Like you said, that can happen and that has happened to The Simpsons.

Moe is their leader. Captain_Smiley's Avatar

1) There was no asking people to like or to subscribe to their videos. That makes it a proper YouTube video.

2) When was this episode written? Monetization has changed a bit.

14. Thumbs Up To This Post by: idm, John95

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Lascelle View Post
    Hey @CrumbBum, I'm afraid I'm going to need a more precise score out of 5 for you as I'm not going to make a blanket assumption whether you want me to round up or round down. Make that change and I'll count your score up top with the others. Many thanks!
    Sorry! 3/5 is good

Anyone else notice that during the first fight when Homer drew his facial features back on with a marker pen after Bart covered it with yellow spray paint it he got the Angry Dad comic face? Loved that detail and the animation of it.

100% dumbass
    Blog Entries

Oh that was my first thought, I think it showed up in the previews and I thought Bart drew the face on. But yeah, that was a nice little touch. Sometimes callbacks can feel a bit too much like someone's yelling "HEY REMEMBER THIS OLD EPISODE" but in bits like that where it doesn't hammer that much attention onto it, it's pretty neat.

18. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Szyslak100

I didn't notice at first, but I do agree that it's a nice callback (though the scene itself was too much cartoon). Like @Venomrabbit said, I really like this kind of callback, when it's done in bits and in a pretty subtle way, instead of when it's too much on the nose (like, in the same episode, Homer suddenly singing "Monorail"). Though I don't say that when an episode make a pretty on the nose callback, it's automatically bad, of course.

20. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Szyslak100

100% dumbass
    Blog Entries

I think how heavy a callback should be is probably proportional to how important it is to the story. Like if the incident with the monorail actually ended up being a plot point (for a different episode, obviously) then it's probably fair to be a bit obvious with that, otherwise if it's just a small nod it should instead be, well, small. Like, for an example, Homer waiting around for something and to pass the time he's just humming to the tune of something like "Monorail". But the angry dad nod was a good one.

Exactly. When it comes to signs of continuity for the stories, well, of course being obvious is useful. I remember the Elon Musk episode being referenced twice in the same season afterwards, but to make continuity with the events at the power plant during this episode, and being kind of a plot point.

In their 30th season, the Simpsons explored thematics like self-driving cars, tv reviewers on internet, Netflix, podcast and League ot Legends. Did use of Alexa, of deep-web and of selfie stuck. And explored thematics as homosexuality, transexuality and feminism. Now, season 31 started with The Winter of Our Monetized Content, an episode about Youtube. It's 2019 and we finally can say it: welcome The Simpsons to 21th century!

31 seasons uninterrumped. Look how they changed. The most amusing series of all time.

An episode about Youtube is something I was waiting since some years ago. I thought this thematic would be explored for first time with a Bart-centric story (he playing pranks would be great). But they decided to involve Homer as part of the main story. I can't say it was an error. But I think the concept of the main plot was the weakest point of the episode, for some reasons. First of all, because was a bit unconfortable to see Homer and Bart fighting throughout the entire episode. I think I shouldn't, but I enjoyed their genuine fight -the first one-. I liked to see Homer drawing his face after a yellow paint jar fell on him. It was not the best Simpsons' style but the animation was cute and pleasent. I also liked when they danced together that dance. But then, I feel... strange with their patrocinated fights. Those weren't bad, but were actually bit interesting and it just tried work through visual humor. Bart hiting Homer with a bottle. Bart throwing fake boiling oil to his father. It wasn't effective to me. And what about the Mortal Kombat in front of lots of youtubers instagrammers? It tried a memorable end and get a weak one. However, althought the execution wasn't the best, I value they explored the relationship between Homer and Bart. They should do it more often. I liked to see Homer and Bart enjoying each other's company. We have some good scenes like when they hugged in the car and when Homer holded Bart's hand. Yeah, the moral conflict wasn't the best, but we have some nice fathet/son scenes at least. Oh, and Dan Castellaneta had an outstanding performance here. Heard him sing the monorail song again was pretty nostalgic.

What a fantastic animation, at the best I am Furious (Yellow) style.

Conversely, one of the strongest points of the episode was... the satire of Youtube? They showed it as a business where everything worth. Lying to the public, show graphic and excessive violence. A world in with the most empty content works perfectly. My only complain is in the Youtube/Mytube name. How could they be so inattentive? I quite liked Comic Book Guy appearence and how through him they mock about that absurd videos in with people reaction about anything. His interventions were appropriate and it also gave us another mute appearence of Kumiko. Oh, wait, that was bad, but anyway, that scene was fine overall. John Mulaney's had another forgettable guest star performance for an one-time character. He was important for the story, giving coherence to what was happened. So, his appearence was justified. Warburton Parker was uninspired, but useless. His presentation as a hipster was pretty funny. I find amusing some of his interactions with Homer. I'd say that was totally a merit of Homer, who was in plenty form here. When Warburton explained how and why monetized videos, when he share the profits (first quarter revenue?), and practically all their conversations had its moments. As I said, that was principally merit of Homer. But Warburton also has his own sympathy. Also, he introduced my favorite thing about the episode: the monkey who smells its finger and fall out of the tree. I laughed in unison with Homer's laugh when we saw the video. And monkey's return at the end of the episode was as funny as its first scene. The third scene was over, actually. The conclusion I do: when Homer interactue with an animal we always get good moments.

Warburton wasn't the best character. But I'm thankful with him for that video... that exist in real life!

The subplot wasn't a disappointment, and frankly it was a surprised for me. It had a frenetic start. I liked the montage of the food fight, especially for the releases the nerds did and for Skinner's flashback (the discrepance of the dates doesn't bother me). It was nice to see Lisa in detention for an absurd cause. I laughed with the physics / Fizix joke. And the recicled tots was a good detail. 'Making a Misbehaver' was a weird parody but was pretty interesting too. The most impressive thing for me was in the smart comment about corporations. I could expect many things about this subplot but not a great social criticism. "Why do corporations do anything? To help society". Great quote from the ideal character for this situation: Lindsey Naegle. Her character is overused often, but she is adecuate for a role like that. It was a mix of Grift of the Magi and The President Wore Pearls. And worked well. This is one of the facet I like more from her, the girl who reveals herself to injustices and not the girl who mistreat his brother, for example. At first instance, I have had a problem with the resolution, because it feel poor. But after a rewatch, I find it satisfactory, and maybe, a bit clever. Everyone win with the final system: kids recovered the classic detention system, Lindsey get the way to license plates, teachers get a work and the school get money renting the place. Everything close but it doesn't feelas good. Maybe2 it missing a final scene.

Hey there, Chalmers, Hey there, Skinner... we will be here until dinner!

I am on the minority, but I think Agner Watkins is a good character, and I am in favour of his recurring appearences. The debate about who is the best basketball player of all time was fine, and Homer named a player who never won a title was a good joke. We have more of Agner in the fourth act. He is an uni-dimensional character but they knows how use that characteristic. Something similar happened with a character I thought we wouldn't see anymore, and I'm glad to have in the show again: The Detonator. I'm glad to see him again, and I'm glad to see him as a gamer again. He apparentely recovered the enthusiasm for the games and, with it, his magic as a character. Some secondary characters had some scenes. As you know, I have a debility with Maggie. I loved that final scene with her seeing a video about trains crashing. She is always so cute. I really laugh with irresponsible Wiggum's commentary about the bullies. Nelson also had a good moment in the HOLE. And Krusty too, when he asked why the public is laughing inmediatelly after he did something that should be funny. And I am intrigued about Luann and Barney's date. Others appearences were pretty forced. I still wonder why Patty & Selma was watching the video of Homer's absurd commentaries about sports in first instance, before it become in a fight with Bart. Mr. Burns' saying he is the richest was unneceseary. And why someone like Moe would be impressed for a youtuber? I can understand why Jimbo and the bullies were... but Moe? And why they insist with the jokes that hint he is not a human. I thought King Leer had changed it...

I can't close my review with other image than that.

The Winter of Our Monetized Content was an acceptable season premiere, but was far to take advantage of the potencial it had. Ryan Koh wrote his second not-terrible episode in a row and I'm thinking he is not as bad as I used to think. The Simpsons finally has their own Youtube episode, and despite the failures and its flats moments, I'm glad to see an episode like this, and it was better than what I expected.

3/5
    Last edited by Szyslak100; 10-02-2019 at 01:02 PM.
    SEASON 31 - RATINGS
    The Winter of Our Monetized Content: 3/5 / Go Big or Go Homer: 2/5 / The Fat Blue Line: 4/5 / Treehouse of Horror XXX: 4/5 / Gorillas on the Mast: 3/5 / Marge the Lumberjill: 2/5 / Livin' La Pura Vida: 5/5 / Thanksgiving of Horror: 5/5 / Todd, Todd, Why Hast Thou Forsaken Me: 3/5 / Bobby, It's Cold Outside: 3/5 / Hail to the Teeth: 2/5 / The Miseducation of Lisa Simpson: 4/5 / Frinkcoin: TBA / Bart the Bad Guy: TBA / Screenless: TBA / Better Off Ned: TBA / Highway to Well: TBA

(First off, I was just going to post this after your quoted post and clicked "post" but then my internet stopped working so it became a late one).

Quote Originally Posted by Wile E. the Brain View Post
    I didn't notice at first, but I do agree that it's a nice callback (though the scene itself was too much cartoon). Like @Venomrabbit said, I really like this kind of callback, when it's done in bits and in a pretty subtle way, instead of when it's too much on the nose (like, in the same episode, Homer suddenly singing "Monorail"). Though I don't say that when an episode make a pretty on the nose callback, it's automatically bad, of course.
    Oh yes, I almost forgot that "Monorail" callback which I found really forced; there was literally no point in the "monetized" chant ending like that other than forced "Remember the monorail episode? Wasn't that a memorable one?" nostalgia (like @Venomrabbit alluded to). The key to the Angry Dad face working was indeed it's subtlety and it came together very neatly as just a fun gag either way. The monorail callback could have worked but here and in this blatant way.

And speaking of callbacks and continuity, remember how Burns' fracking business in "Opposites A-Frack" in season 26 got referenced a few episodes later? I liked that (I don't remember if it served any point in the plot of the later episode(s) but I seem to recall it did) and I enjoyed the consistency with how an event in one episode actually carries over to later ones. I wish they would do that more.

I enjoyed this episode and thought it was a decent season premiere. Skinner attempting to do the Heimlich on Chalmers had me laughing, as did Bart's initial prank on Homer. I do agree with many on here who found the majority of the fighting to be unpleasant. There were a few instances of Homer bleeding which were unnecessary, though I am glad that Bart did not really suffer any injuries. Seeing Homer hit Bart with a beer bottle for example would have been highly unfunny, at least for me. The B plot did seem a bit rushed and I would have preferred to see the resolution of the Bart/Homer conflict to be a bit less...predictable. Overall, a solid 4/5

Miracle upon miracles, I finally have time to watch this week's episode. Bear in mind that with the trifecta of my current writing staff punching bag (Koh), worst active animation director (Anderson) and Jean as a showrunner, that my bar of expectations for this ep pretty much starts at a 1/5 and can only go up from there.

ACT 1

• The thing about Julie Kavner's voice delivery is that while it has regressed with age, it clearly has nothing to do with her acting ability. She still has that in spades... arguably better than anyone else working on the show. It's the vocal range that's problematic. And while people unfairly harp on Kavner and I browbeat the voice direction, it's a tricky pickle regardless. How do you tell someone that nailed the emotional delivery perfectly that they need to do a retake because of a persistent tonal consistency issue? Especially when you're under a cost/time crunch? I'm not sure there's an easy answer to that question. But it's going to keep coming up as an issue unless they make a conscious decision to start scaling back Marge's lines.

Lisa: Principal Skinner, it wasn't me! It was physics!
      <camera pans left showing new exchange student off-screen>
      Skinner: Is this true, Physics?

• Okay, that line cracked me up. When you have established nerds with names like Database and Cosine, this is a well they haven't tapped before. And it really should have been before now. Props to whomever came up with that joke. The background gags with Willie cleaning up the discarded tot refuse and putting them right back in the vending machine along with an adorable mouse friend were on point as well. Man, why can't we have school scenes like this more often?

• The entire setup for Bart & Homer's video going viral didn't work for me. I mean, Bart was barely involved and the vid's popularity clearly had nothing to do with him outside of being the instrument to cause Homer's suffering. And this is pretty much just milking that Angry Dad bit again... which already vent viral on the 'Net 17 1/2 seasons ago. That said, I dug the animation of the fight and John Mulaney's hipster character made a nice first impression. Incidentally, I wonder if this was intentionally bumped up for the premiere to capitalize on Big Mouth's new season hitting Netflix tomorrow. Given the prominent Netflix placard featured during this episode's final act, it's probably not a coincidence.

ACT 2

• The kickoff to this act was strong and uncharacteristically focused for modern Simpsons. Even the endless gag of Homer laughing at the monkey sniffing its finger vid didn't bother me because it encapsulated the appeal of what makes a video go viral in the first place and that's the key to making this plot relevant to the sheltered folks without Internet or 100 years from now who don't understand what "going viral" means. We had a fun monorail callback for the nostalgia pop and Mulaney's delivery helped sell this scene. His voice acting acumen is clearly on display here in contrast with many of the other token celebs we often see brought on to the show for these guest spots. The only problem with all of this remains Bart... his engagement with this plot is getting the short shrift and his lack of interest for the monetization angle isn't helping any. What's his motivation here? Internet views don't give him the attention he craves.

• This is going to go off the rails quick if this is the level of creativity they're going to show for these staged "sponsored" follow-up gags. I don't even care about the blood... my beef is why this weak domestic violence horseshit supposedly gets 5 times as many views as their original video that went viral in the first place? Enjoy that quarter, Homer... I think we've just hit the "we have no idea where to take this premise after the initial setup" plot wall.

• After the quickest cup of coffee to follow up on the LIsa privatized detention plot (which I'm not sure the writers are at all invested in), we get back to our main plot and what may well be the first time we've had an upcoming episode scheduling reveal hidden within an episode itself. Homer buys a boat on November 3rd, folks... I guess now we know when Gorillas on the Mast is airing.

• The Caitlyn/Kaitlyn/Kate-Lynn joke callbacks will never not be amusing to me. That said, they need to subvert expectations one time and add a FOURTH to the mix at some point... I suggest Caitlin. I feel obligated to go to bat for it to pay tribute to anime voice actor/director, Caitlin Glass. The Caitlins need representation, too!

Lindsey Naegle: How do you know about unions?
      Lisa: 'Cause our history books end in the 1930s!

• No shortage of fun lines in this subplot they're giving absolutely zero time to breathe. Then again, given what's become of the plot that is being given time to breathe, perhaps it's for the best.

• I'm not sure I "get" the rationale behind Homer and Bart bonding over maiming one another for profit. I mean, I guess it's cool that they have a common goal but Bart's motivation being barely addressed and Homer being written like a complete simpleton isn't helping matters. I did enjoy the Comic Book Guy-Kumiko cosplay act closer, at least.

ACT 3

• Heh... Bort license plate callback. Yeah, I guess this subplot is done. They just really couldn't be bothered, could they?

• Glad to see The Detonator's got his groove back after that brief scare where he lost his gaming edge. I have no problem with his character getting more callbacks when relevant. I would also like to see Kevin Michael Richardson land more recurring gigs than just Anger Watkins 'cause that act is getting long in the tooth. They really should have just made him Bart's new teacher instead of giving that gig to Flanders and then never using him.

• Yeah, this final act mortal combat bit is super dumb... and they clearly realize it so they're padding for time with social media personality commentary. Homer's reaction to the monkey showing up and reprising its act for him in person was priceless. This has been a really dumb episode that has been entirely elevated by some choice jokes and joke delivery. So the execution on the intangibles has saved it from the mediocrity pile where Dad Behavior and Singin' in the Lane reside. Congrats, Ryan... the rest of the room saved you! Now please never write a Homer-Bart story again.

My rating: 2/5

Solid review breakdown, @Brad Lascelle.

I think a few of the modern references (that they indeed went a little overboard with for the sake of having them) went over my head as I'm not super versed on all internet memes and such. I think I missed the Backpack Kid thing a few of you mentioned (like @Wile E. the Brain) and considering the response it's gotten I guess it was for the best.

Also, I haven't really thought about it before but Ryan Koh is a pretty crappy writer (must have forgotten he wrote those awful episodes 'Dad Behavior' and 'Singin' in the Lane') and was certainly not a good fit for this one. Whom could have better tackled this one?

Great observations, Brad! Would love to see you keep doing those if you have the time and energy.

And this season premiere's rating trap is... guest star John Mulaney!

LOL at Homer's "What the?!" in the origami couch gag!
    Geez, Marge's voice deteriorates more and more with each Simpsons season...
    I thought Nelson imitating war sound effects during the food fight was funny!
    LOL at the "Don't sue us, backpack kid!" subtitle when Homer and Bart do the Floss dance. You would not believe how many kids have often asked me as that kangaroo mascot to do the Floss.

Oh, I've known about monetizing for quite a while, and despite running a YouTube channel as a hobby, I don't monetize, as I just do it for fun.
    Wait, so they have BOTH MyTube and YouTube? It's like Star Wars and Cosmic Wars or Apple and Mapple again... And they even actually alternate in calling it "YouTube" or "MyTube!"
    Oh, Springfield Elementary has a pottery class? Seems they often offer a lot of high school-level courses and such for a K-6 school...
    Train Crash: No Survivors? Sounds like something my younger brother would find hilarious! Maggie must have that twisted Simpson sense of humor...

Since I'm interested in creating web video and such, I thought this was a pretty interesting episode overall. I give it a 3.5 out of 5.

@wiley207 You can score the show with a half-point for your personal rankings, but I'm going to need a rounded score for the poll. I don't want to presume a 4 if you're leaning closer to a 3. Once I have that clarification, I'll update the opening post with your contribution to the consensus score. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Lascelle View Post
    @wiley207 You can score the show with a half-point for your personal rankings, but I'm going to need a rounded score for the poll. I don't want to presume a 4 if you're leaning closer to a 3. Once I have that clarification, I'll update the opening post with your contribution to the consensus score. Thanks!
    Yeah, for a rounded score I'd give it a 3. It'd be like when we did the polls ("I give it a 3.5 out of 5, 3 for the poll.")

Blog Entries

Hey, it's been a while since I've done one of these reviews.

So in the interest of making it actually understandable what my vote is, I'll keep my thoughts much shorter, but still go into detail on them.

I'll start with the Lisa sub-plot because it's basically nothing. It starts out with some potential by having Lisa in detention, but then it just becomes another "Lisa protests something" plot, except this time it's against detention because it's being privatized... for some reason. I guess the Simpsons writers felt like it was time to try and criticize the US prison system, but it really goes nowhere. Lisa ends up having to work at detention, protests, and the teachers decide to work there instead, and that's it. But I thought the teachers were lazy and didn't want to work hard, and that's why Springfield Elementary is such a crap school. Why would they agree to work for free now? I also thought the jokes were pretty flat here. Also, why is Shauna in an elementary school's detention? Isn't she like 16 or something? Why would she be there? Like I know Kearny's whole joke is that he's really around 40 or something because he's been held-back, but really, why is Shauna here? Have we really gotten that lazy with recurring characters?

The main plot was also kind of bland. Homer gets humiliated when talks to that one angry sportscaster that Kevin Michael Richardson from the ESPN episode that they decided to bring back for some reason. Then he starts his own online sports show but Bart ruins it, which makes the video popular. But the sportscaster stuff is not interesting and all we get is a few jokes about how useless they are. Then the real plot kicks in with John Mulaney as a hipster who randomly decides to become Homer and Bart's agent and has them to do more violent videos so that they can profit off of them. John Mulaney's character is totally forgettable, and his entire joke is that he mutters endlessly. Homer and Bart become popular, and the new money and success make them happy enough that they get alone, which ruins their fanbase, and despite giving it one last go, they decide their love for each other is more important then money. While it is nice that Homer and Bart are getting along for once, I do find it funny how this goes completely against everything we've seen from Homer and Bart's relationship. One of modern Simpsons's biggest failures is how it transformed the Simpsons into the Griffins (from a loving family to a family where everyone seems to passive aggressively hate each other on some level), and Homer and Bart's relationship is the most obvious example of this. Throughout the last several years, they've shown repeatedly to not only hate each other, but want each other dead, to the point of being alright would letting the other die or even outright try to kill each other, but for the sake of this one episode's ending to make sense, they revert back to their original personalities and go back to having a flawed but loving father/son relationship.

The jokes were pretty weak. Nothing really was made about Homer and Bart's success. It's just a typical "Homer gets famous" episode, but with Bart along for the ride. There was also a moment where Homer is now too famous for Moe's bar that doesn't go anywhere. The jokes are pretty bland this time around, and we get some really weird ones, like Homer and Bart doing the floss dance while a caption begs for Backpack Guy not to sue them. There's also not a lot of jokes or commentary about the videos Homer and Bart make. I guess they were going for a message about how people care more about violent videos then ones showing love and compassion, but it's not really gone into any detail. The most heavy they try to get into a satire is a scene where Homer and Bart meet a bunch of famous influencers, and the joke is "Youtube celebrities are loser!". Which is rich coming from a show that does a ton of Youtube only skits to try and drum up views and interests in this show anymore.

Overall, it's a pretty middle of the road episode with nothing really good or bad about it. I'd give it a 2/5, but I'll give it an extra point because it's rare to see Homer and Bart act decently towards each other, and none of the Simpsons really acted weird or out of character with each other.

Final score: 3/5

This was a frustrating watch, because both plots felt like decent ideas, and there were a fair few really funny moments (the Goosebumps joke, Homer's Bar, "In other news, the Pope died today"), but there were also too many half-arsed parodies for my liking (the Making a Murderer spoof and The Breakfast Club dance scene), the Lisa subplot ended so abruptly I didn't even realise that was meant to be the end, and the main plot ended really poorly with all the references to YouTubers I didn't get. A lot to like, but lacking in execution.

C+ (3/5 ​for the poll)
    Season 31 Ratings
    The Winter of Our Monetized Content C+ Go Big or Go Homer ​C- The Fat Blue Line ​C+ Treehouse of Horror XXX ​C- Gorillas on the Mast ​B Marge the Lumberjill C- Livin La Pura Vida ​B-

Thread Information