Scully seasons (including Season 11!) funnier than (BUT NOT BETTER THAN!) Season 3 and 4?

Ok, I can see myself getting a lot of hate for this opinion, but it's what I genuinely think so so be it.

After analysing the quality of gags from an average Season 3 or 4 episode, with an average Scully episode, I definitely find myself laughing more at a Scully episode.

S3 and 4 don't really try too hard on the gag front imo, and a lot of the jokes are pretty plain, simple and predictable, although miles better than zombie Simpsons.

Scully episodes though, tend to have a few gags that are extremely funny although you can tell Scully and the writing team were not as interested in the overall writing, plots or character developments as earlier writing teams.

So is this opinion complete nonsense, an uncomfortable truth or a legitimate argument either way?

2. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Sam

Al Jeany apologist skully the poltergeist's Avatar
    Blog Entries

truth
    yeet or get yeeted

oh dear, I say! The Spruce Moose's Avatar
    Blog Entries

wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by The Egg Council Creepy View Post
    Here's FIVE non-rock songs I like:
    Take On Me
    Hello
    Mad World
    Unreal Superhero 3
    Lisa Frank 420/Modern Computing
    So i'm not a rockist

I'd probably agree with season 1 & 2 , back then the show wasn't trying to be the funniest thing in the world. Simpsons teen seasons tried really hard to be edgier and cooler, I remember laughing at a few of the episodes, I think that was par for the course in the early 2000s, I'm sort of glad that phase is over.

modern simpsons try too hard to be funny, the plot to gag ratio is usually on the lower side.

If you prefer the gag heavy humor of the Scully era rather than character or story driven humor of earlier seasons, then I guess Family Guy is the show for you. I prefer a little more emotion and character development.
    Last edited by Rover Hendrix; 09-27-2019 at 11:14 AM.

Blog Entries

ok sam we know its you

Quote Originally Posted by Rover Hendrix View Post
    If you prefer the gag heavy humor of the Scully era rather than character or story driven humor of earlier seasons, then I guess Family Guy is the show for you. I prefer a little more emotion and character development.
    Family Guy was pretty good until about 2014, but even before then, the episodes were centred on fitting as many gags as possible into 22 minutes which meant the storylines were horribly disjointed. Plus, the vast majority of the cutaways were unfunny

withered gas station rose Bart's treehouse's Avatar

Of course you’re fuckin irish

Quote Originally Posted by Bart's treehouse View Post
    Of course you’re fuckin irish
    Explain what you mean please, whether derogatory or playful, because I don't get it

withered gas station rose Bart's treehouse's Avatar

I wouldn’t expect someone Irish to get anything

Junior Camper

Uhm, season 4 is the most gag-heavy season of the golden years.

13. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Szyslak100

oh dear, I say! The Spruce Moose's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Snorky View Post
    Family Guy was pretty good until about 2004
    Fixed

Homer the Heretic is funnier than anything Scully did bar The Cartridge Family.
    SEASON 31 GRADES

The Winter of Our Monetized Content - 3/5 / Go Big or Go Homer - 2.5/5 / The Fat Blue Line - 3/5
    Treehouse of Horror XXX - 2/5 / Gorillas on the Mast - 2.5/5 / Marge the Lumberjill - 2/5
    Livin' La Pura Vida - ?/5 / Thanksgiving of Horror - ?/5 / Todd, Todd, Why Hast Thou Forsaken Me? - ?/5

16. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Shoskin

Blog Entries

i like the cut of your jib snorky

Hercules Rockefeller Homer Samson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bboynexus View Post
    I adore the Cartridge Family, but few episodes can go against Heretic
    Best and Worst Episode per Season:
    1: Krusty Gets Busted/Homer's Night Out 2: One Fish, Two Fish, Blowfish, Blue Fish/Bart's Dog Gets an 'F' 3: Bart the Murderer/Saturdays of Thunder 4: Homer the Heretic/So Its Come To This: A Simpsons Clip Show 5: Cape Feare/Lady Bouvier's Lover 6: Homie the Clown/Another Simpsons Clip Show 7: Raging Abe Simpson and his Grumbling Grandson in " The Curse of the Flying Hellfish"/Scenes From the Class Struggle in Springfield 8: The Springfield Files/The Old Man and the Lisa 9: The City of New York vs. Homer Simpson/Miracle on Evergreen Terrace 10: Mayored to the Mob/Homer Simpson in: Kidney Trouble 11: Grift of the Magi/Eight Misbehavin' 12: Trilogy of Error/I'm Goin' to Praiseland 13: The Blunder Years/The Lastest Gun in the West 14: Moe Baby Blues/The Strong Arms of the Ma 15: My Mother the Carjacker/Co-Dependent's Day 16: The Heartbroke Kid/Homer and Ned's Hail Mary Pass 17: The Seemingly Never-Ending Story/The Bonfire of the Manatees 18: The Mook, The Chef, The Wife, and Her Homer/The Boys of Bummer 19: Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind/Husbands and Knives 20: Gone Maggie Gone/Lisa the Drama Queen 21: The Squirt and the Whale/The Greatest Story Ever D'ohed 22: Homer Scissorhands/The Fight Before Christmas 23: The Book Job/Lisa Goes Gaga 24: The Saga of Carl/Love is a Many-Splintered Thing 25: Brick Like Me/What to Expect When Bart's Expecting 26: Sky Police/The Musk Who Fell to Earth 27: Barthood/Every Man's Dream 28: 22 for 30/The Caper Chase 29: Flanders' Ladder/Singin' in the Lane 30: Woo-hoo Dunnit?/I Want You (She's So Heavy)

Hercules Rockefeller Homer Samson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Spruce Moose View Post
    Fixed
    Is that including S4 or excluding S4?

Quote Originally Posted by J.J.Watts View Post
    Uhm, season 4 is the most gag-heavy season of the golden years.
    Is it more gag-heavy than seasons 5 or 6?

Quote Originally Posted by bboynexus View Post
    Great example, probably one of my favorite episodes or even number one in my opinion.
    "Bart, a woman is like beer. They look good, they smell good, and you’d step over your own mother just to get one!"

22. Thumbs Up To This Post by: bboynexus

Quote Originally Posted by Snorky View Post
    Explain what you mean please, whether derogatory or playful, because I don't get it
    WTF!

I don't get it. Just because you are Irish you don't get humor?

Thread Information