Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Movies/TV shows you've never completed

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BlueRibbonCommittee View Post
    I want nothing to do with Louis CK anymore.
    Why not?

I used to love watching The Big Bang Theory. Never thought mixing science and humor would be fun. Stopped watching after season 9 because I couldn't stand anymore the insults they're throwing at each other. I recently signed-up for Netflix and found some interesting new shows suggested by this website.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kupomog View Post
    I watched qty. 1 episode of Breaking Bad I am interested in the show, but it keeps getting pushed back on my list because other things just seem more pressing at the moment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bart's treehouse View Post
    The Simpsons
    Then you just might be in the wrong place my friend.
    Last edited by TheDuffBlimp; 01-21-2020 at 07:28 AM.

4. Thumbs Up To This Post by: cam

Deep Frier of Shirts BlueRibbonCommittee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheDuffBlimp View Post
    Why not?
    He openly admitted he masturbates in front of women without their consent.

Blog Entries

You can still like his comedy without supporting him.

Blog Entries

The Walking Dead. I kept up with it up until Negan showed up and smashed two particular characters' brains in, partly because the way it was done was a cheap ratings grab and partly because it's one of the most disgustingly violent scenes I've ever watched in media.

Last episode I watched before I stopped entirely was when Sasha died (just before the All Out War), and I have had no incentive to continue when anyone who was ever the least bit interesting has since left the show/been killed off, so there's no point in following it anymore.

"Modern Simpsons" defender simpsonsbart's Avatar

I stopped watching Doctor Who the day I learnt about the biggest regenerational change, as it seemed to follow a pattern of "woke plots" and/or "woke lines". Then I've learnt that it's probably because "it's a BBC show". Yes, modern BBC shows tend to be what Doctor Who became some years prior to the biggest regenerational change: "straight white men are evil", "black people are good", "all Tories are the same: outright villains", "it's okay to punch someone when they're racist", etc.. Then I was told that the political messages in the subsequent episodes were as bad, or even worse: The Doctor's speech at the end of Orphan 55 was not subtle at all. There are also morally questionable problems, like the Doctor thinking asphyxiating spiders is more humane than mercy killing them, the "New Testament added the "Love thy neighbor" twist" thing, or the Doctor using the Master's skin color against him (actually, some Indians worked for the Nazis). We are also supposed to believe who the Timeless Child is, when no further evidence was shown. If the Master knew it, why didn't he show any evidence to the person concerned? Oh, and about the supposed "fixed" plot hole... In the episode that originated it, the person said they rembered those faces. When the "Matrix's mind was blown", maybe the Master simply hypnotized them with the trigger phrase being "You are the Timeless Child".

Given that I'm already talking about BBC shows, I will talk about another one. That's not actually the subject, but I didn't find the thread fitting what I want to talk about.

About the not subtle political messages, I think that the RTD years were less "woke" than RTD's Years and years. His Doctor Who wasn't propaganda (or not that much of it) and addressed rather well-executed, decent political messages. Actually, in Years and years, I was told there are also unrealistic problems: China wouldn't have let such an attack unanswered, such an economic crisis would have caused more unemployment (instead of changing jobs) and more depression from other people, and the younger people (children, teenagers and young adults barring Bethany) are here depicted as way too oblivious. About Lincoln being trans, it was apparently triggered by a disguise which led this character to decide liking to be dressed like a girl (that didn't make this one trans as the character still identified as a boy until the flash forward)... Except we are supposed to be in a rather realistic near future. Why didn't Edith pretend "her daughter" (actually her nephew pretending to be a girl) was a tomboy?! Apparently, Lincoln wasn't "feeling easy with himself", according to some viewers, which would eventually lead this character to transition (feminized appareance and breasts). Except that not all trans people "feel uneasy with themselves" and/or want to transition. Also, the script indicates "beautiful". Beauty is subjective. If it's a reference to "Trans is beautiful", I don't think it was ever said. I just find the "beautiful chinese girl" either average (not ugly, just average) or "so beautiful the reveal is ugly on the indide": as an Aspie struggling to be integrated in the society, I find the "Lincoln being trans is treated as being normal" extremely offensive. That's my problem with the last episode, hackers burst into the camps so easily as the guards do barely anything (if it's a reference to the Berlin Wall fall, it's a complete failure, as the Wall was here for almost 30 years, while Rook was in power for barely 3 years!), and filming what's in the camps being apparently enough to arrest a PM. It's so optimistic, and everything is suddenly perfect, sweet, glittery, etc. by 2034, as even Edith's mind was probably successfully uploaded to the cloud (a female voice could be heard on Señor, a device that usually "speaks" in a male voice). For such a show, I want realism, not idealism. World will be far from perfect by 2034. One last thing about the show: The jerk of the family had to be the cis straight white male. What else did you expect? It's a BBC show!
    Last edited by simpsonsbart; 05-24-2020 at 06:52 AM.
    "You're perfect! In fact, you're better than perfect! Next to you, perfection is crap!"

It was said in a 1997 episode. But if it were said in a recent episode (from the mid 2000s to for now), I'd take it as irony.

I don't believe in modern Simpsons nor golden era: I'm an atheist

Don't fear the roofer!

I'm a post-20th century Simpsons episodes defender.

The ones who say "Zombie Simpsons" make me laugh.

I'm a girl but I say #NotMyDoctor anyway.

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

Have not caught up with SpongeBob yet seems too much like a chore.

Riverdale I lost track but I intend to finish it.
    The Central, King of Harts, American, family burger guy.

CROSSING SWORDS SEASON 1 3.5/10
    HOOPS SEASON 1 6.5/10
    DUNCANVILLE SEASON 1 6.5/10
    CENTRAL PARK SEASON 1 9/10
    CLOSE ENOUGH SEASON 1 8.5/10
    SOLAR OPPOSITES SEASON 1 8.5/10

Under the Dome was one of them. A terrible show whose premise sounded all right but the execution rubbed the unwatchable status. The only thing I remember about this is the Simpsons reference.

Blacklist. This one was pretty good but it turned out quite a bit repetitive with the passage of the episodes. I've probably watched half of the first season.

Altered Carbon and 3% were two series I've watched the entire content available on Netflix when I started watching but then they released new seasons that I didn't care for. I guess they count.

And finally BoJack Horseman. This one is curious because I loved the show too much but I went on vacation in the middle of my marathon and never recovered the rhythm, letting the show on my pending list. The last episode I've watched was Thoughts and Prayers.
    SEASON 32 - RATINGS

Undercover Burns - ?/5 / I, Carambus - ?/5 / Now Museum, Now You Don't - ?/5 / Treehouse of Horror XXXI - ?/5

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Szyslak100 View Post
    And finally BoJack Horseman. This one is curious because I loved the show too much but I went on vacation in the middle of my marathon and never recovered the rhythm, letting the show on my pending list. The last episode I've watched was Thoughts and Prayers.
    highly recommend finishing this. one of my favorite shows of all time, and season 4 is one of the strongest seasons imo.

12. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Szyslak100

Deep Frier of Shirts BlueRibbonCommittee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Grey's Anatomy, One Piece, and Supernatural. Too long.

Just chillin', dawg OldSchoolerSimpsons's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Walid View Post
    highly recommend finishing this. one of my favorite shows of all time, and season 4 is one of the strongest seasons imo.
    Yeah, definitely finish it. Season 4 is my favorite of the show's run, and Thoughts And Prayers is one of the best episodes.
    Quote Originally Posted by scully apologist;bt39949
    "KONY 2012"

15. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Szyslak100

Remember Me As I Was 1010011010's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The Sopranos: Watched it everyday, got to the start of Season 5 then just never finished, dropped it then never came back. Haven't tried HBO Max yet, may finish the series when I inevitably try that.

Big Mouth/Santa Clarita Diet/Kipo/The Crown. A shit ton of Netflix series I watch for a few days then just drop...mrgh....
    Just because I'm stupider than them, they think they're smarter than me!
    Simpsons Season 27 Ratings:
    Every Man's Dream-4.8/10 Cue Detective-6/10 Puffless-7/10 Halloween of Horror-8.4/10 Treehouse of Horror XXVI-(4.5, 5, 3.5) 4.25/10 Friend With Benefit-5/10 Lisa With An 'S'-5.5/10 Paths of Glory--/10 Barthood--/10 The Girl Code--/10 Teenage Mutant Milk-Caused Hurdles--/10 Much Apu About Something--/10 Gal of Constant Sorrow--/10 Love Is in the N2-O2-Ar-CO2-Ne-He-CH4--/10 Lisa the Veterinarian--/10 The Marge-ian Chronicles--/10 The Burns Cage--/10 How Lisa Got Her Marge Back--/10 Fland Canyon--/10 Simprovised--/10 To Courier With Love--/10 Orange is the New Yellow--/10
    Futurama Season 7B Ratings:
    2-D Blacktop-7.5/10 Fry and Leela's Big Fling-7.9/10 T.: The Terrestrial-8.2/10 Forty Percent Leadbelly-6.8/10 The Inhuman Torch-8.4/10 Saturday Morning Fun Pit-(9, 7, 8.5) 8.2/10 Calculon 2.0-8.7/10 Assie Come Home-8.5/10 Leela and the Genestalk-7.2/10 Game of Tones-9.2/10 Murder on The Planet Express-9/10 Stench and Stenchibility-8.5/10 Meanwhile-9.5/10
    Jumping the Shark since 1998...
    Alternate Ending Winner of NHC Survivor Season 1

Blog Entries

not sure if this counts, but Twin Peaks

I say not sure if this counts because I recently watched seasons one and two on Netflix; while I really enjoyed it, for the most part, the last episode of season two was something I was not entirely prepared for; that was such a surreal experience. one of those things that sticks with you for a few days after. I've been wanting to watch Fire Walk With Me and The Return, but I've heard that FWWM is like, really dark compared to the series, and I'm not sure I'd be up for that. Twin Peaks got dark at times but the movie sounds a lot worse. And I wanna watch season 3/The Return, but apparently it has a lot of references to FWWM, so I probably wouldn't know what was going on half the time anyway. I want to watch FWWM, and season 3, but I dunno. I guess I'm asking, anyone here who's watched it all, how does FWWM/season 3 compare to seasons 1-2?

Just chillin', dawg OldSchoolerSimpsons's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You're right, Fire Walk With Me is really dark, especially considering most of the lighter scenes ended up on the cutting floor (which by the way is a very nice supplementary feature, it might alleviate some of the darkness from the movie). But it's also one of David Lynch's best films, and Sheryl Lee delivers an Oscar-worthy performance. If you are a huge Twin Peaks fan it's an absolute must-see.

Season 3 is darker than season 1 and 2, but unlike the movie it's also got some comic relief to break up the tension sometimes. While in Fire Walk those kind of scenes are minimal, 3 has more than it gets credit for. I'd argue that the fourth episode is the funniest one they've ever made.

Blog Entries

it's kind of hard to say where I am with Twin Peaks; I loved {most} of what I saw... but that finale threw me for a curve. and to hear that the movie is darker... I don't know. wanna check it out but not sure if I'm 'ready'....

it's good to hear season 3 has some comic relief because in my mind, that is always welcome; even when things seem bleak as hell, comic relief is almost always welcome, imo. like I said, I do intend to finish the series at some point; right now it's just so different from what I usually watch, I have to like get used to the style... if that were even possible with David Lynch...

Blog Entries

The 90's Goosebumps TV series. Never got to finish it, even though I've watched most of the episodes, it's now rarely.

In movies: Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdon. This was nowhere near as good as the first three, and to an lesser extent: the forth.

I couldn't get into Lost or Breaking Bad. I've seen the first handful of episodes in the first season of both shows, but dropped them after that; Lost mostly because of a lack of interest, but dropping Breaking Bad had more to do with my lack of time than anything else. I just couldn't find a suitable time to really settle down for the rest of BB because of other TV shows I'm busy watching.

On the anime side, there's also the Monogatari series. I've seen Bakemonogatari and Monogatari SS (including some of the spin-offs like Nekomonogatari), but my god, this anime franchise has so many spin-offs that I just don't have the time or motivation to complete them.

22. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Sandurt

The Bakemonagatari spin offs, but I just read the manga after that.

One Piece Punk Hazard Arc (Episode 600?) Anime's pacing was too slow so I started reading the manga, and now I have 94 volumes of One Piece right behind me in my bookshelf (I know, I know that's a lot of volumes, but it's worth it)

@Borner1990 if you enjoy manga then read the Bakemonagatari series it always felt a lot more fast pace to me

24. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Borner1990

Quote Originally Posted by Sandurt View Post
    @Borner1990 if you enjoy manga then read the Bakemonagatari series it always felt a lot more fast pace to me
    Unfortunately, my attention span is so crap these days that I just can't sit still reading manga at all. I'm currently watching Kaiji season 2 at the moment, and I might give the manga a shot only because they never adapted season 3 and 4, but that's as far as I'm willing to read. Not that big of a fan of the Monogatari franchise to be honest. It has great character writing, but the tone balance between comedy/slice-of-life/horror just felt way too jarring for me.
    Last edited by Borner1990; 09-02-2020 at 06:35 AM.

26. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Sandurt

It certainly isn't perfect.

28. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Borner1990

Quote Originally Posted by Sandurt View Post
    It certainly isn't perfect.
    No show is perfect, but I think my peeve with the Monogatari series has more to do with my dislike of the slice-of-life genre. The pacing of the genre as a whole is too slow and mundane for me. I crave drama.

30. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Sandurt

It's one of those series I read when I shut my brain off the art is very relaxing and gives a good vibe to me unlike something from Beserk for example (Which has beautiful art too)

32. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Borner1990

Blog Entries

I think I saw a manga series a few years ago, can't5 remember it's name, but I've never been able to finish it, as it just wasn't appealing to me.

34. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Sandurt

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Exordium View Post
    Likewise, I've seen the first 4 episodes of The Ambition of Oda Nobuna in 2016/17, but I've never finished all 12 episodes.
    Quoting myself to update. I watched episodes 5-8 earlier this year, but I was totally lost without having re-watched the last four. It's a continuity-heavy series based off events in old Japanese history (well, not exactly as they happened, but a version of such events), and there's lots of period terms being thrown around. If I were to finish this, I'd have to re-watch the episodes I've seen so far already.
    Insert signature here

Thread Information