Thread: Should the show bring Maude Flanders back?

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

Should the show bring Maude Flanders back?

Two days ago, I was lying on my bed thinking of why The Simpsons started getting so downhill. Of course, the main reason of why this is happening is the writers and creator's fault, but I think there's more than just this.

I remember that, when around that time in season 10 Maggie Roswell had a disagreement with Fox network, because she wanted a raise. Later, I did a little research and learned that The Simpsons got a new voice actress, Marcia Mitzman Gaven for all of Maggie Roswell's characters, especially Maude. She was in the studio for a while after that (I guess she had to teach her how to do the voices) and left. Then, the next year in season 11 episode " Alone again, Natura Diddly " Maude dies from an accident. I think they killed her, because it was obvious she couldn't do the voice in the same way as Maggie Roswell did. I still think they shouldn't have killed the character they could just put her as a background character, but even that would have had his problems. I think killing of Maude Flanders was for practical reasons. Maude Flanders is the wife of Ned Flanders, Homer's neighbour. She wasn't a very important character, but she was there to fill the plot. The problem is, it would had been strange to see Maude by Ned's side without saying a word, so they decided to kill off Maude and make the other characters of Maggie Roswell background characters. For example, we didn't really see from the beginning characters like Luann Van Houten or Elisabeth Hoover in the plot, but only for certain cases. I don't know, but for some reason I have connected Maggie Roswell's departure with the fact of the show going downhill. You saw what happened, don't you? Maggie Roswell quitting caused troubles to the writers and the show, because they had to think what they could do with the characters. Okay, I have here my ideas of what could the show have done with Maude:

1. Well, I have seen in several episodes prior season 11 that Maude and Ned didn't had the perfect marriage we all thought they had. So, one day Ned was extremely annoying. Maude was already not in a good mood and she couldn't take it anymore. They fought very much and Maude packed her things and left the house. This could also take place in the season 5 episode " Bart of Darkness " were everything saw that Ned was hiding something. What if he was at his leftorium and accidentally killed someone from his anger that his wife left him? Yeah, I know this sounds crazy. He then lied about Maude being in the that Christian camp to his kids, because he didn't want them to get upset. So, panicked, Ned got out for a walk and sometime later he noticed a woman who looked exactly like Maude sitting on a bench. He sat near her and the two of them noticed that they were in love with each other. They then made a deal: She will marry Ned, change her name and style and she will never ever tell the truth. So they stayed together. Seasons later after " Maude's " death, the real Maude returns home, apologies and reunites with her family.

2. They can also have done that. In the events of " Bart of darkness ", Maude didn't feel so well. She was dizzy all the time and sometime after, Maude had a stroke. They went to the hospital, were she was already put in a coma. Ned Flanders paid Doctor Hibbert to never say anything to anyone about Maude's condition, until Maude wakes up. Ned, who thought that Maude might die and leave the impression he is a murder, started thinking ways of covering up Maude's disappearance. He then remembers an old friend, who looked exactly like Maude. He got into her house, begging for help and she eventually agreed. He changed her hair colour and put some of Maude's clothes, but his plan didn't last long enough. " Maude " died in a terrible accident and he became a widow to his " wife ". Seasons later, Maude wakes up and reunites with her family and letting Flanders explain to their kids what was going on.

P.S.: Okay, I probably said too much. I liked Maude Flanders...well..when she was alive and I think it would be cool if the writers did a story like those. I know what you are going to say: " How can they bring her back after all these years! ", but I think there is always a way to bring a character back, even in Maude's case and I also know that they had shown an episode and cameos that are dedicated to this. It is also known that The Simpsons usually don't care about continuity at all! Why can't they just ignore all that and move on. I am tired of seeing Ned as a weird widow! We can't bring Edna back, but we can Maude. She is not the best nor the funniest character, but her reappearance will create TONS of good ideas for episodes, but HEY that is just my opinion.

Let me know what you think in the comments!

I love boobies! Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Nah, I don’t think that would be a good idea. I like the widower Ned, and it would seem pretty contrived to have her back after all these years. It gave some more depth to Ned when she died, and I think the show is better for it.
    Favorite and least favorite by season
    1. Krusty Gets Busted There’s No Disgrace Like Home 2. Bart Gets an F Dead Putting Society 3. Homer at the Bat Like Father, Like Clown 4. Brother From the Same Planet Krusty Gets Kancelled 5. Cape Feare Lady Bouvier’s Lover 6. Homer Badman Another Simpsons Clip Show 7. King-Size Homer Lisa the Iconoclast 8. Homer’s Enemy El Viaje Misterioso de Nuestro Jomer 9. Bart Carny The Trouble With Trillions 10. Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo Homer Simpson in: “Kidney Trouble” 11. Guess Who’s Coming to Criticize Dinner? Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder 12. HOMЯ Tennis the Menace 13. Tales From the Public Domain She of Little Faith 14. The Dad Who Knew Too Little Helter Shelter 15. I, Annoyed Grunt)-bot Bart-Mangled Banner 16. A Star is Torn On a Clear Day I Can’t See My Sister 17. My Fair Laddy Bonfire of the Manatees 18. The Haw-Hawed Couple You Kent Always Say What You Want 19. Funeral for a Fiend All About Lisa 20. Gone Maggie Gone The Good, the Sad and the Drugly 21. The Bob Next Door The Color Yellow 22. Donnie Fatso Love is a Many Strangled Thing 23. The Falcon and the D’ohman A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again 24. Hardly Kirk-ing Moonshine River 25. The War of Art What to Expect When Bart’s Expecting 26. Sky Police Let’s Go Fly a Coot 27. Halloween of Horror Lisa With an ‘S’ 28. There Will Be Buds Moho House 29. Springfield Splendor Throw Grampa From the Dane

I think they might as well bring Maude back, they don’t even need to explain it, it’s not like they care about continuity or realism otherwise, why is Maudes death seen as this sancrosanct exception? At most you just need to lampshade it with a ‘I was very ill’ or Moe resurrected her. Yes very dumb stuff but they killed her off in a very flippant way back in 2000 so it would be appropriate to bring her back casually.

Maudes passing nearly 20 years ago might have provided some opportunities for character development but that was a very very long time ago. The real life death of Marcia Wallace, who’s character Edna had of course only just married Ned in-universe always seemed like a darkly ironic echo of the flippant way in which the show so easily killed Maude years before... clearly the shows writers intended the Nedna thing to be a happy resolution for Neds character after years of tragic widowerhood... but then real life caught up with them, in a mirror of how lightly they had dealt with the subject of death a decade and a half before. Now Ned has to be this tragic twice widowed figure and I agree it is weird and not what anyone intended.

They could have Frink invent a time machine to bring her back, like they did in Family Guy to bring Brian back.

Somehow that is worse and more convoluted than The Principal and the Pauper ( which I actually liked as an episode )

But I'll say that I really miss the dynamic between Ned and Maude... but then I miss all the Phil Hartman characters.

It's just not happening.

Chatting Simpsons Since '93 Brad Lascelle's Avatar

Perhaps Ned can start dating and be engaged to Maude's heretofore unrevealed twin sister, Dodd.
    Or maybe he can bring in a live-in nanny to help him look after Rod and Todd. This male nanny will be voiced by Harry Shearer and called Claude.
    Or he can hire a butler voiced by Tim Curry who will reprise his character from Clue the Movie, Wadsworth (called Wad for short).
    Or how about Ned forges an alliance with Superman's arch-nemesis, General Zod.
    Last edited by Brad Lascelle; 09-12-2019 at 08:39 PM.
    SEASON 30 RANKINGS
    Bart's Not Dead - 2.5/5 / Heartbreak Hotel - 1.5/5 / My Way or the Highway to Heaven - 3/5
    THOH XXIX = Intrusion of the Pod-Y Switchers - 1.5/5 / Multiplisaty - 2.5/5 / Geriatric Park - 2/5
    Baby You Can't Drive My Car - 2/5 / From Russia Without Love - 3.5/5 / Werking Mom - 3/5
    Krusty the Clown - 4/5 / Daddicus Finch - 5/5 / 'Tis the 30th Season - 2/5 / Mad About the Toy - 1.5/5
    The Girl on the Bus - 2/5 / I'm Dancing as Fat as I Can - 4.5/5 / The Clown Stays in the Picture - 1.5/5
    101 Mitigations - 3/5 / I Want You (She's So Heavy) - 1/5 / E My Sports - 3.5/5
    Bart vs. Itchy & Scratchy - 4.5/5 / Girl's in the Band - 4/5 / I'm Just a Girl Who Can't Say D'oh - 1/5
    D'oh Canada - 2.5/5 / Woo-hoo Dunnit? - 3.5/5 / Crystal Blue-Haired Persuasion - 1.5/5

Blog Entries

@ajsmith1234 I know right! I completely agree with you, I even mentioned it before: This show has no continuity. Why can't they just forget the past as they always do! They even brought back Doctor Marvin Monroe, who never really appeared on the show! The explanation: He was very sick! They brought back a character who never actually used! So, what is the big deal with Maude Flanders! Maggie Roswell is still alive and healthy! What are they waiting? If anything Maude's death is one of the reasons this show is the way it is! Maude isn't a character that they can't bring back! They should have thought, before killing her off, but I guess we can just hope!

As for Nedna, I never liked the pairing with Ned and Edna. It is kind of weird to see Ned nearly 15 years later with another woman and that woman is Edna Krabappel! Who could have thought of that! The Nedna relationship left me with a sour feeling on my mouth! Not only because of Marcia Wallace's passing, but because of how a great character like Edna ended up with Ned. I don't say that Ned isn't a good guy, but I thought they would do something with Rachel Jordan again. I was extremely sad, when the episode " My Big Fat Geek-Wedding " came! After years of showing us what a great couple Skinner and Edna were, they just destroyed another beautiful thing! I even said inside of me: " Finally he is going to leave Agnes! " I was wrong! I know Skinner is the typical mamas-boy, but I would have been happier, if Edna's final chapter was with Skinner. I am just glad that she could find happiness with a good man.
    Last edited by Simpson's Fan; 09-16-2019 at 06:32 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Lascelle View Post
    Perhaps Ned can start dating and engaged to Maude's heretofore unrevealed twin sister, Dodd.
    Or maybe he can bring in a live-in nanny to help him look after Rod and Todd. This male nanny will be voiced by Harry Shearer and called Claude.
    Or he can hire a butler voiced by Tim Curry who will reprise his character from Clue the Movie, Wadsworth (called Wad for short).
    Or how about Ned forges an alliance with Superman's arch-nemesis, General Zod.

Haha, Maude's unrevealed twin sister Dodd! Oh man, you really made my day! Yeah, they could also do something similar without Maude. The show, however has made Flanders a double widow. What if she is going to die also? Ned will become a triple widow!
    Last edited by Simpson's Fan; 09-16-2019 at 06:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Simpson's Fan View Post
    @ajsmith1234 I know right! I completely agree with you, I even mentioned it before: This show has no continuity. Why can't they just forget the past as they always do! They even brought back Doctor Marvin Monroe, who never really appeared on the show! The explanation: He was very sick! They brought back a character who never actually used! So, what is the big deal with Maude Flanders! Maggie Roswell is still alive and healthy! What are they waiting? If anything Maude's death is one of the reasons this show is the way it is! Maude isn't a character that they can't bring back! They should have thought, before killing her off, but I guess we can just hope!

As for Nedna, I never liked the pairing with Ned and Edna. It is kind of weird to see Ned nearly 15 years later with another woman and that woman is Edna Krabappel! Who could have thought of that! The Nedna relationship left me with sour feeling on my mouth! Not only because of Marcia Wallace's passing, but because of how a great character like Edna ended up with Ned. I don't say that Ned isn't a good guy, but I thought they would something with Rachel Jordan again. I was extremely sad, when the episode " My Big Fat Geek-Wedding " came! After years of showing us what a great couple Skinner and Edna were, they just destroyed another beautiful thing! I even said inside of me: " Finally he is going to leave Agnes! " I was wrong! I know Skinner is the typical mamas-boy, but I would have been happier, if Edna's final chapter was with Skinner. I am just glad that she could find happiness with a good man.
    They ruined Seymore by making him a mamas -boy. He used to have a backbone and a strong character. If they had let him stay the way he is, he could have married Edna.

Blog Entries

@sideshow ken, I know they ruined him! Basically, Skinner was only in the early seasons a strong character. Now he is just weak and trapped with Bart Simpson! In fact, I even think (If the ' Bart is gay ' theory is true!) they could date! LOL! You are right! If they let him marry Edna, he could have just been happier and more independent!

Blog Entries

@Frankbags, I also liked " The Principal and The Pauper ". I don't know why everybody hates so much the episode. It is a little confusing and uncomfortable to watch, but it is okay in general! I also miss the dynamic between Ned and Maude! I wish they could do something for poor Ned! I also miss Phil Hartman, but he is dead and we can't do anything about his characters. I wouldn't have made this thread, if I didn't knew a way to bring Maude back after all!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Financial Panther View Post
    Nah, I don’t think that would be a good idea. I like the widower Ned, and it would seem pretty contrived to have her back after all these years. It gave some more depth to Ned when she died, and I think the show is better for it.
    I see your point. It sure would seem weird bringing her back after all these years, but is not like we can't do anything about it.

Blog Entries

People should get over Maude already

14. Thumbs Up To This Post by: pax

Wrote the book on flimflammin Grifty McGrift's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Imagine if someone told you that when your wife died

why? so they could ruin her like they did Helen Lovejoy? but then again......

and even if they could get Tim Curry why do I have a feeling that it would end up being a wasted opportunity
    Simpsons Comics 1993-2018

Maude, eh?

I think it'd be too contrived and soap opera bad (even if it was meant to parody that trope, I think it'd just end up being another example of it), so I'm not in favour of it as far as the current timeline or canon. However, I'm all for her appearing in flashback scenes and episodes, dream sequences, and non-canonical stories. That'd be the best way to get some more mileage out of her character at this point. With that being said, I wasn't a fan of "Flanders' Ladder", though not because I'm against featuring Maude again through the aforementioned means; I just didn't care for that particular episode.
    A little less Generic than before.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grifty McGrift View Post
    Imagine if someone told you that when your wife died
    Ned remarried within the same year, if he can move on so can the audience

don't quite cover all CousinMerl's Avatar

There is no way they could pull it off without it feeling contrived and silly, unless in it's in an Treehouse Of Horror or any other form of non-canon episode. She died and can only logically stay that way & I think having her in flashbacks and in episodes set in the past works really well (so in that sense she has already been brought back) and after her passing they have done some really interesting stuff with Ned. There's no need to go all science-fictiony (though I can imagine a Treehouse segment or some form of future/alternate reality episode where Frink recreates her as a clone or, better yet, brings in an version of her from an alternate universe where it was Ned who died instead or something).

I don’t see the big deal with casually resurrecting her. The show didn’t allow her any dignity in death, so why does that tasteless and flippant death scene have to be respected like it’s gospel? Just ignore it and over-write it, toss it down the memory hole. It’s not like this is some classic episode you’d be disrespecting here, it’s crappy old ‘Alone Again Naturadiddly’ which has been stinking up the canon for two decades now. The show has blithely written over much better episodes like ‘The Way We Was’ so why are we all tip toeing around a titanic dinosaur turd like ‘Alone Again’?

No, it would be weird and a cheap move to bring back a canonically dead character (bar flashback and ghost appearances). Now if for some reason, one of the Simpsons family got killed off, with the exceptions of Abe or Maggie, the writers would just have to bring them back or the show just wouldn't be the same

Thread Information