Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: NHC TOP30 HD ERA EPISODES - Choose your top20!

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Sub-mediocre artist Venomrabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Ah yeah, I got those messages. I'm terribly sorry, not to get too much into it, had some things to go through that took my full attention.

Though, I'm not really sure how valuable my opinions would be, especially when I'm a little fickle on what exact numbers I'd put on ratings... or sometimes I question how much I remember.

30 stealing first base
    29 fland canyon
    28 the saga of Carl
    27 Moe letter blues
    26 loan a Lisa
    25 holidays of Future past
    24 the changing of the guardian
    23 hardly Kirk-ing
    22 dangers on a train
    21 forgive and regret
    20 a father's watch
    19 the great simpsina
    18 werking mom
    17 pranks and greens
    16 a totally fun thing Bart will never do again
    15 to cur with love
    14 girl's in the band
    13 homer scissorhands
    12 Bart stops to smell the Roosevelts
    11 the kids are all fight
    10 the food wife
    9 angry dad: the movie
    8 22 for 30
    7 chief of hearts
    6 brick like me
    5 the serfsons
    4 eeny teeny Maya Moe
    3 Halloween of horror
    2 the book job
    1 barthood
    Last edited by GlitterCat; 09-14-2019 at 02:42 PM.

Here I come, world! Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

@GlitterCat, Moe Baby Blues isn’t an HD episode. HD era starts with season 20’s Take My Life, Please.
    Favorite and least favorite by season
    1. Krusty Gets Busted There’s No Disgrace Like Home 2. Bart Gets an F Dead Putting Society 3. Homer at the Bat Like Father, Like Clown 4. Brother From the Same Planet Krusty Gets Kancelled 5. Cape Feare Lady Bouvier’s Lover 6. Homer Badman Another Simpsons Clip Show 7. King-Size Homer Lisa the Iconoclast 8. Homer’s Enemy El Viaje Misterioso de Nuestro Jomer 9. Bart Carny The Trouble With Trillions 10. Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo Homer Simpson in: “Kidney Trouble” 11. Guess Who’s Coming to Criticize Dinner? Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder 12. HOMЯ Tennis the Menace 13. Tales From the Public Domain She of Little Faith 14. The Dad Who Knew Too Little Helter Shelter 15. I, Annoyed Grunt)-bot Bart-Mangled Banner 16. A Star is Torn On a Clear Day I Can’t See My Sister 17. My Fair Laddy Bonfire of the Manatees 18. The Haw-Hawed Couple You Kent Always Say What You Want 19. Funeral for a Fiend All About Lisa 20. Gone Maggie Gone The Good, the Sad and the Drugly 21. The Bob Next Door The Color Yellow 22. Donnie Fatso Love is a Many Strangled Thing 23. The Falcon and the D’ohman A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again 24. Hardly Kirk-ing Moonshine River 25. The War of Art What to Expect When Bart’s Expecting 26. Sky Police Let’s Go Fly a Coot 27. Halloween of Horror Lisa With an ‘S’ 28. There Will Be Buds Moho House 29. Springfield Splendor Throw Grampa From the Dane

Hercules Rockefeller Homer Samson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Financial Panther View Post
    @GlitterCat, Moe Baby Blues isn’t an HD episode. HD era starts with season 20’s Take My Life, Please.
    They might have meant Moe Letter Blues
    Best and Worst Episode per Season:
    1: Krusty Gets Busted/Homer's Night Out 2: One Fish, Two Fish, Blowfish, Blue Fish/Bart's Dog Gets an 'F' 3: Bart the Murderer/Saturdays of Thunder 4: Homer the Heretic/So Its Come To This: A Simpsons Clip Show 5: Cape Feare/Lady Bouvier's Lover 6: Homie the Clown/Another Simpsons Clip Show 7: Raging Abe Simpson and his Grumbling Grandson in " The Curse of the Flying Hellfish"/Scenes From the Class Struggle in Springfield 8: The Springfield Files/The Old Man and the Lisa 9: The City of New York vs. Homer Simpson/Miracle on Evergreen Terrace 10: Mayored to the Mob/Homer Simpson in: Kidney Trouble 11: Grift of the Magi/Eight Misbehavin' 12: Trilogy of Error/I'm Goin' to Praiseland 13: The Blunder Years/The Lastest Gun in the West 14: Moe Baby Blues/The Strong Arms of the Ma 15: My Mother the Carjacker/Co-Dependent's Day 16: The Heartbroke Kid/Homer and Ned's Hail Mary Pass 17: The Seemingly Never-Ending Story/The Bonfire of the Manatees 18: The Mook, The Chef, The Wife, and Her Homer/The Boys of Bummer 19: Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind/Husbands and Knives 20: Gone Maggie Gone/Lisa the Drama Queen 21: The Squirt and the Whale/The Greatest Story Ever D'ohed 22: Homer Scissorhands/The Fight Before Christmas 23: The Book Job/Lisa Goes Gaga 24: The Saga of Carl/Love is a Many-Splintered Thing 25: Brick Like Me/What to Expect When Bart's Expecting 26: Sky Police/The Musk Who Fell to Earth 27: Barthood/Every Man's Dream 28: 22 for 30/The Caper Chase 29: Flanders' Ladder/Singin' in the Lane 30: Woo-hoo Dunnit?/I Want You (She's So Heavy)

Chatting Simpsons Since '93 Brad Lascelle's Avatar

Hardly Kirk-ing (an ep that's shown up repeatedly on a number of lists) is an episode I remember enjoying fondly upon initial watch but not liking too much on subsequent rewatches... although I did enjoy how the hyper-observant Homer subplot got woven into the resolution of the main story.

It's still really far-fetched that random people would think Milhouse is a grown man simply because he lost his hair, found some paint cans to walk on and was able to talk like his Dad thanks to a tight collar.
    SEASON 31 RANKINGS
    The Winter of Our Monetized Content - 2/5 / Go Big or Go Homer - 2.5/5 / The Fat Blue Line - 3.5/5
    THOH XXX = Danger Things - 2.5/5 / Heaven Swipes Right - 1.5/5 / When Hairy Met Slimy - 2/5
    Gorillas on the Mast - 4/5 / Marge the Lumberjill - 2.5/5 / Livin' la Pura Vida - 5/5
    THANKSGIVING OF HORROR = A-Gobble-ypto - 3/5 / The Fourth Thursday After Tomorrow - 5/5 / The Last Thanksgiving - 3.5/5
    Todd, Todd, Why Hast Thou Forsaken Me? - ?/5 / Bobby, It's Cold Outside - ?/5

Sorry @CousinMerl I'm on vacation but when I get a chance to make a list I will put it down.
    HOMER, YOU'RE DUMB AS A MULE AND TWICE AS UGLY. IF A STRANGE MAN OFFERS YOU A RIDE I SAY TAKE IT!

don't quite cover all CousinMerl's Avatar

@Brad Lascelle, I think 'Hardly Kirk-ing' a pretty fun and silly episode. The plot is really straightforward and a little farfetched, yes, but it doesn't matter to me and it has good humor and is nicely pacing as the episode flows quite well; it's nothing groundbreaking, just goofy and amusing. I guess that's why it's so well liked (by the way, I also noticed on my rewatch that it's really short, maybe only 18 minutes sans opening and credits).

30. The Princess Guide
    29. The Saga of Carl
    28. Baby You Can't Drive My Car
    27. Sky Police
    26. Brick Like Me
    25. Homer the Father
    24. Dangers on a Train
    23. The Good, the Sad and the Drugly
    22. Daddicus Finch
    21. Gone Boy
    20. Cue Detective
    19. Puffless
    18. The Great Simpsina
    17. Lisa Simpson, This Isn't Your Life
    16. Mr Lisa's Opus
    15. King Leer
    14. Homer Scissorhands
    13. Moe Letter Blues
    12. Hardly Kirk-ing
    11. A Father's Watch
    10. There Will Be Buds
    9. Once Upon a Time in Springfield
    8. The War of Art
    7. Barthood
    6. Eeny Teeny Maya Moe
    5. Gone Maggie Gone
    4. The Book Job
    3. Steal This Episode
    2. Halloween of Horror
    1. Holidays of Future Passed

That was tougher than I thought it was going to be - I thought I might struggle to find 30 HD-era episodes I genuinely feel really positively about, but I ended up having to leave about half a dozen off the list, and I found something to enjoy in every HD season.
    Season 30 Ratings
    Bart's Not Dead C- Heartbreak Hotel ​D My Way or the Highway to Heaven ​D- Treehouse of Horror XXIX ​C- Baby You Can't Drive My Car ​B+ From Russia Without Love ​B- Werking Mom ​C Krusty the Clown ​B Daddicus Finch B+ 'Tis the 30th Season ​D+ Mad About the Toy ​C+ The Girl on the Bus ​C I'm Dancing as Fat as I Can ​C- The Clown Stays in the Picture ​C- 101 Mitigations C+ I Want You (She's So Heavy) ​C E My Sports ​B- Bart vs. Itchy & Scratchy ​C- Girl's in the Band ​B- I'm Just a Girl Who Can't Say D'oh ​B- D'oh Canada ​C- Woo-hoo Dunnit? ​B Crystal Blue-Haired Persuasion ​C+

9. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Szyslak100

At first, I thought it would be a little difficult to make the list, partly because I, like many of you, didn't have so many favorite episodes in high-definition era up till now. But I'm rewatching some of those newer seasons of the show, and I'm sure I'll be able to complete it soon. It's all about not being too critical. Though TOP 50 is really too much, because the HD era has only 200-something...
    But other than that, it's a good thread!

11. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Szyslak100

Okay, there are already three users who agree that make a TOP30 and/or compile a TOP50 is too much. I need here the opinions of everyone who is interesed. Have you a problem if we make lists with 20 episodes, and then compile 30 episodes instead 50? @CousinMerl, @bboynexus, @Homer Samson, @Kaine, @Financial Panther, @Wile E. the Brain, @Nitsy, @GlitterCat, @Nameless
    Fan of the Outstanding Animated Show of 2019.

SEASON 31 - RATINGS
    The Winter of Our Monetized Content: 3/5 / Go Big or Go Homer: 3/5 / The Fat Blue Line 4/5
    Treehouse of Horror XXX: 4/5 / Gorillas on the Mast: 3/5 / Marge the Lumberjill: 2/5
    Livin' La Pura Vida: 5/5 / Thanksgiving of Horror: 5/5 / Todd, Todd, Why Hast Thou Forsaken Me: 2/5
    Bobby, It's Cold Outside: TBA / Hail of the Teeth: TBA

I don't have a problem with the change if it results in getting more submissions.

14. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Szyslak100

Have Brain, Will Travel Wile E. the Brain's Avatar

I don't have a problem with it either. If everyone thinks it's more practical that way, then it's the best thing to do.

16. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Szyslak100

It feels a little odd to essentially do a reset now by shrinking it down to a Top 30 well into the game but I would be okay with it, even though I don't see that much of an issue in a Top 50 (and I have constructed my Top 30 with only some rearrangement to do), though 50 is probably a bit too much and if it's the most suitable thing to do and would get more interested in participating I'd say go for it.

Here I come, world! Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If more people participate, I guess it’s fine. I like the larger lists, personally, but I won’t complain if you shrink them.

Okay, let's do it. There's no way to change thread's title, right?

@Szyslak100, ask an admin such as Dark Homer or Kupomog to do so. I'm pretty sure they are willing to.

21. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Szyslak100

Consider the title change done.

23. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Szyslak100

Just count my top 20 then. I was surprised how much fun I had compiling lists. I feel like overall Bart is written poorly in hd, yet I was able to find quite a few Bart centric episodes including my number 1 pick barthood.
    Pokemon Moon Friend Code 5473-2104-2310
    Looking for shiny, legendary, and mythical. Got shiny Sandshrew (Alola)
    Have various starters, zorua, can breed many pokemon.
    Current egg move hatching: Tyrunt with fire fang

25. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Szyslak100

Blog Entries

Damn! I worked hard to finish my top30 and you make shorter lists. Well, here is my 20 favourites.

20. O Brother Where Bart Thou?
    19. Forgive and Regret
    18. To Cur, with Love
    17. Puffless
    16. King Leer
    15. Gone Maggie Gone
    14. Girl's in the Band
    13. Hardly Kirk-ing
    12. Lisa Simpson, This Isn't Your Wife
    11. Bart Stops to Smell the Roosevelts
    10. Bart vs. Itchy & Scratchy
    9. A Father's Watch
    8. The Bob Next Door
    7. The Marge-ian Chronicles
    6. Treehouse of Horror XXV
    5. The Book Job
    4. Gone Boy
    3. Barthood
    2. Holidays of Future Passed
    1. Halloween of Horror
    Last edited by LisaMartinez; 09-25-2019 at 10:27 AM. Reason: Changed Treehouse of Horror XX for Treehouse of Horror XXV

27. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Szyslak100

Quote Originally Posted by Szyslak100 View Post
    Okay, there are already three users who agree that make a TOP30 and/or compile a TOP50 is too much. I need here the opinions of everyone who is interesed. Have you a problem if we make lists with 20 episodes, and then compile 30 episodes instead 50? @CousinMerl, @bboynexus, @Homer Samson, @Kaine, @Financial Panther, @Wile E. the Brain, @Nitsy, @GlitterCat, @Nameless
    That's fine by me.
    SEASON 31 GRADES

The Winter of Our Monetized Content - 3/5 / Go Big or Go Homer - 2.5/5 / The Fat Blue Line - 3/5
    Treehouse of Horror XXX - 2/5 / Gorillas on the Mast - 2.5/5 / Marge the Lumberjill - 2/5
    Livin' La Pura Vida - 4.5/5 / Thanksgiving of Horror - 5/5 / Todd, Todd, Why Hast Thou Forsaken Me? - 3.5/5
    Bobby, It's Cold Outside - ?/5 / Hail to the Teeth - ?/5

Hercules Rockefeller Homer Samson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LisaMartinez View Post
    Damn! I worked hard to finish my top30 and you make shorter lists. Well, here is my 20 favourites.

20. Forgive and Regret
    19. To Cur, with Love
    18. Puffless
    17. Homer and Lisa Cross Exchange Words
    16. King Leer
    15. Gone Maggie Gone
    14. Girl's in the Band
    13. Hardly Kirk-ing
    12. Lisa Simpson, This Isn't Your Wife
    11. Bart Stops to Smell the Roosevelts
    10. Bart vs. Itchy & Scratchy
    9. A Father's Watch
    8. The Bob Next Door
    7. The Marge-ian Chronicles
    6. Treehouse of Horror XX
    5. The Book Job
    4. Gone Boy
    3. Barthood
    2. Holidays of Future Passed
    1. Halloween of Horror
    Homer and Lisa Exchange Crosswords isn't an HD episode

Blog Entries

Oops my bad

I don't often watch some episodesfor a long, so the impressions of them are made maybe not very exactly and fresh. Also, I didn't include season 30, because the Ukrainian dubbing of it has started just recently and I just started to watch it.
    Anyway, here is my list (made of my personal opinion):

20. The Saga of Carl
    19. To Courier with Love
    18. The Bob Next Door
    17. Mathlete’s Feat
    16. Specs and the City
    15. Throw Grampa from the Dane
    14. Brick Like Me
    13. Fland Canyon
    12. Teenage Mutant Milk-Caused Hurdles
    11. Peeping Mom
    10. Gone Boy
    9. The Squirt and the Whale
    8. Boy Meets Curl
    7. Chief of Hearts
    6. Bart’s New Friend
    5. Flanders’ Ladder
    4. A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again
    3. Coming to Homerica
    2. Orange Is the New Yellow
    1. Halloween of Horror
    IMHO the most and the least favourite episodes of each season (without trilogy episodes, upd. 30/10/19):
    1. There’s No Disgrace Like Home/Homer’s Night Out 2. Old Money/Simpson and Delilah 3. Bart the Lover/Homer Alone 4. Homer’s Triple Bypass/Marge in Chains 5. Secrets of a Successful Marriage/Burns’ Heir 6. Two Dozen and One Greyhounds/A Star Is Burns 7. Home Sweet Homediddly-Dum-Doodily/Bart the Fink 8. Simpsoncalifragilisticexpiala(Annoyed Grunt)cious/The Springfield Files 9. Miracle on Evergreen Terrace/Das Bus 10. Maximum Homerdrive/Monty Can’t Buy Me Love 11. Grift of the Magi/Pygmoelian 12. Homer vs. Dignity/New Kids on the Blecch 13. Poppa’s Got a Brand New Badge/Weekend at Burnsie’s 14. Moe Baby Blues/Three Gays of the Condo 15. Fraudcast News/Co-Dependent’s Day 16. Sleeping with the Enemy/Pranksta Rap 17. Bonfire of the Manatees/Bart Has Two Mommies 18. The Wife Aquatic/The Haw-Hawed Couple 19. He Loves to Fly and He D’ohs/Smoke on the Daughter 20. Coming to Homerica/Lisa the Drama Queen 21. Chief of Hearts/Stealing First Base 22. The Ned-Liest Catch/Love Is a Many Strangled Thing 23. A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again/Moe Goes from Rags to Riches 24. The Saga of Carl/Penny-Wiseguys 25. Brick Like Me/The Man Who Grew Too Much 26. Bart’s New Friend/Simpsorama 27. Halloween of Horror/Every Man’s Dream 28. 22 for 30/Trust but Clarify 29. Flanders’ Ladder/Grampy Can Ya Hear Me 30. Baby You Can’t Drive My Car/101 Mitigations
    I think that thoughts may differ, because so many people, so many opinions.

32. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Szyslak100

Bear in mind I've only watched s20-s27 and not even every from them, but here it goes:

20. The Princess Guide
    19. The Great Simpsina
    18. You Don't Have to Live Like a Referee
    17. Halloween of Horror
    16. No Loan Again, Naturally
    15. I Won't Be Home For Christmas
    14. The Book Job
    13. Friend With Benefit
    12. Homer the Whopper
    11. Mathlete's Feat
    10. Donnie Fatso
    9. Hardly Kirk-ing
    8. Oh Brother Where Bart Thou
    7. To Surveil with Love
    6. Lisa Simpson, This Isn't Your Life
    5. The Day the Earth Stood Cool
    4. The War of Art
    3. Steal This Episode
    2. The Squirt and the Whale
    1. A Totally Fun Thing Bart Will Never Do Again

Those high rankings for A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again are going to make @Financial Panther cry.
    (And yes, that episode made my Top 10 as well.)

I always remember him when A Totally Fun Thing appears in a ranking too. And yes, that episode made my Top5. I love this episode.

You really turned around on that one, @Brad Lascelle. On it's poll you rated it bottom of the barrel.

I'm still not a big fan of it. It's got a good premise and is mostly all good for the first two acts, then it becomes an pretty ugly and mean mess in the third act and that kinda sinks it for me, unfortunately (I feel they could have done the story more justice). It's easily one of the most divisive HD era episodes, if not the biggest one.

Quote Originally Posted by CousinMerl View Post
    You really turned around on that one, @Brad Lascelle. On it's poll you rated it bottom of the barrel.
    Actually, my R&R score for that thread was me being jaded against the NoHomers community regarding their initial reception of that episode at the time moreso than any kind of sentiment about the episode itself (as I noted in this response in the thread proper).

Incidentally, the ability to change one's given R&R poll score over time wouldn't be a bad thing.
    (I believe is an unfortunate limitation of the vBulletin forum software.)
    Last edited by Brad Lascelle; 09-16-2019 at 11:24 AM.

38. Thumbs Up To This Post by: CousinMerl

Quote Originally Posted by CousinMerl View Post
    It's easily one of the most divisive HD era episodes, if not the biggest one.
    The most divisive episode is easily Bart vs. Itchy & Scratchy. Among the best of HD era for someones. Among the worst episodes of the entire series for others. Practically nobody is indiferent to this. It was in our bottom50 consensous and will be has chances to be in this list too. I think A Totally Fun Thing has generally a positive reception, altought it was more controversial when it was aired.

Other thing I want to say, @Brad Lascelle: I'm Dancing as Fat as I Can is a great choice. I will watch it for third time after I finish the second season of Stranger Things. But I remember it as the best conflict marriage episode since Dangers on a Train (and we have a lot of them each season).

Oh, and...
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad Lascelle View Post
    Episodes in italics should NOT be counted.
    Halloween of Horror
    You ruined a nice stat (it appeared in all lists)

@Szyslak100, I have to agree that 'Bart Vs. Itchy & Scratchy' is probably the top one overall, though as far as I have noticed it's generally met with more positivity here on the NHC than on most other sites and forums.

41. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Szyslak100

Thread Information