Thread: Tuca & Bertie

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Banned

Tuca & Bertie

It had to be made. What do you think of the show?

Does it deserve to be cancelled after one season?

Professional Teleporter Mícheál's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Never got around to seeing the show - I've not got anything against it, I'm just lazy.

It definitely stood out, which is not an easy thing to do nowadays, and considering some of the other stuff that gets renewed, its a bit disappointing that it didn't get another season.
    "I may or may not die young. I haven't decided yet."

Blog Entries

I watched the first episode and thought it was alright; never made it back to it, but a lot of people seem angered that it was canceled, so I'm assuming the quality improved{not that I judge from pilots alone; that almost always seems to be a mistake}. I wanna watch it at some point since it has a lot of the same people as Bojack Horseman, which is probably my favorite Netflix original show.

Stonecutter
    Blog Entries

Adult Swim just picked the show up for a second season which will air hopefully next year. They ordered 10 more episodes. LIkely will watch it now.
    Simpsons S32 ratings: - "Undercover Burns" - 1.5/5 - "I, Carumbus" - 4/5 - "Now Museum, Now You Don't" - 1.5/5 - "Treehouse 31" - 3.5/5 - "7 Beer Itch" - 1.5/5 - "Podcast News" - 3.5/5 - "Three Dreams Denied" - 1.5/5 - "Road to Cincinnati" - 1.5/5 - "Sorry Not Sorry" - TBA - "A Springfield Summer Christmas" - TBA

Bless the Harts S2 ratings: - "Violet's Secret" - 4/5 - "Last Supper" - 3.5/5 - "My Best Frenda" - 4.5/5 - "Dead Mall" - 4/5 - "Pound Pinchers" - 4/5 - "McEntire Truth" - 3.5/5 - "Mega-Lo-Memories 2" - 5/5 - "Pumped" - TBA - "Invasion of the Potty Snatcher" - TBA

Bob's Burgers S11 ratings: - "Dream a Little Bob of Bob" - 3.5/5 - "Worms of In-Rear-ment" - 4/5 - "Copa-Bob-bana" - 4/5 - "Heartbreak Hotel-oween" - 4/5 - "Fast Time Capsules at Wagstaff School" - 4.5/5 - "Bob Belcher and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Kids" - 4.5/5 - "Diarrhea of a Poopy Kid" 3.5/5 - "Terminalator: Terminals of Endearment" - 4/5 - "Mommy Boy" - TBA - "Yachty or Nice" - TBA

Family Guy S19 ratings: - "Stewie's First Word" - 1/5 - "Talented Mr. Stewie" - 3.5/5 - "Boys & Squirrels" - 0.5/5 - "Cutawayland" - 2.5/5 - "La Famiglia" - 0.5/5 - "Meg's Wedding" - 1.5/5 - "Wild Wild West" - 3.5/5 - "Pawtucket Pat" - TBA - "First No L" - TBA

Fox stop-motion christmas special: - TBA

Great North ratings:

Duncanville S2 ratings:

The first episode is trash, I rewatched it with my GF and told her I would sit out the first episode. It's all over the place with the plot and the jokes and I almost felt like I was having a stroke trying to follow it. Afterwards though it becomes a very decent show that is admittedly aimed at women a bit more than men, but I'm not too turned off to that.

Stonecutter
    Blog Entries

Watched episode 1. It was pretty good but it just feels like another animated sitcom. The thing I like though is the female leads. Plus Tiffany Hadish is great all around. Also, the voice of that pansexual girl from Big Mouth does Bertie so I also enjoyed her in Big Mouth too. Will definitely watch more.

Blog Entries

It didn't deserve to be cancelled in the first place, but I've only watched the first 2 episodes, so that opinion is based on mostly that.
    My Favorite and Least Favorite from every season.
    U1: Babysitting Maggie/Burp Contest, U2: Space Patrol/The Funeral, U3: The Bart Simpson Show/Bart's Nightmare, S1: Krusty Gets Busted/Homer's Odyssey, S2: Lisa's Substitute/Principal Charming, S3: Saturdays Of Thunder /Mr. Lisa Goes To Washington, S4: Homer The Heretic/Marge In Chains, S5: Deep Space Homer/Sweet Seymour Skinner's Badasssss Song, S6: Lisa's Rival/Another Simpsons Clip Show, S7: Bart Sells His Soul/Scenes From The Class Struggle In Springfield, S8: The Springfield Files/My Sister, My Sitter, S9: The City Of New York vs Homer Simpson/All Singing, All Dancing, S10: Lisa Gets An 'A'/When You Dish Upon A Star, S11: Behind The Laughter/Kill The Alligator And Run, S12: Trilogy Of Error/Simpson Safari, S13: I Am Furious (Yellow)/The Frying Game, S14: Bart vs Lisa vs The 3rd Grade/Helter Shelter, S15: I, (Annoyed Grunt) Bot and The Wandering Juvie/Bart Mangled Banner, S16: Don’t Fear The Roofer/On A Clear Day I Can’t See My Sister, S17: Girls Just Want To Have Sums/Bonfire Of The Manatees, S18: 24 Minutes/Rome-Old and Juli-Eh, S19: The Debarted/All About Lisa, S20: Coming To Homerica/Lisa The Drama Queen, S21: Homer The Whopper/The Greatest Story Ever D'ohed, S22: Homer The Father/ Love Is A Many Strangled Thing, S23: Holidays Of Future Passed/Treehouse Of Horror XXII and Lisa Goes Gaga, S24: The Saga Of Carl/Love Is A Many Splintered Thing, S25: Steal This Episode/Diggs, S26: Simpsorama/The Musk Who Fell To Earth, S27: Barthood/Friend With Benefit, S28: The Town/The Last Traction Hero, S29: Flanders Ladder/Treehouse Of Horror XXVIII, S30: Baby You Can't Drive My Car/Treehouse Of Horror XXIX, S31: Highway To Well/Warrin' Priests, Both Parts, S32: Treehouse Of Horror XXXI/The 7 Beer Itch.

SEASON 32 SO FAR:

Undercover Burns: 2.5/5, I, Carumbus: 3.5/5, Now Museum, Now You Don't: 1/5
    Treehouse Of Horror XXXI: 5/5 (Toy Gory: 5/5, Into The Homerverse: 2/5, Be Nine, Rewind: 6/5)
    The 7 Beer Itch: 0.5/5 - WORST OF SEASON SO FAR
    Podcast News: 3/5, Three Dreams Denied: 1.5/5, The Road to Cincinnati: 2.5/5
    Sorry Not Sorry: ?/5, A Springfield Summer Christmas for Christmas: ?/5

Pin Pal

Overall I like the show, but I think it struggles to strike a balance between its surrealist, cartoony setting and its serious down-to-earth themes and storylines. They two things seem to juxtapose each other too harshly at times. I can't take Bertie being sexually harassed as seriously as it should be when her boob literally jumps off and walks away. The reality and the rules in this show are so loose, and that's a bit of a problem.

Stonecutter
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by J.J.Watts View Post
    Overall I like the show, but I think it struggles to strike a balance between its surrealist, cartoony setting and its serious down-to-earth themes and storylines. They two things seem to juxtapose each other too harshly at times. I can't take Bertie being sexually harassed as seriously as it should be when her boob literally jumps off and walks away. The reality and the rules in this show are so loose, and that's a bit of a problem.
    That’s what I noticed. What made Bojack so good that besides the fact that animals could talk it was grounded. Tuca and Bertie is more of a cartoonish animated sitcom with almost no continuity.

Stonecutter
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trab Pu Kcip View Post
    It didn't deserve to be cancelled in the first place, but I've only watched the first 2 episodes, so that opinion is based on mostly that.
    Adult swim renewed it for a second season

11. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Szyslak100

I've given it a shot. I've watched two and a half episodes until I realized I suffered watching it. I don't like to criticize a show judging only the first two episodes of the first seasons. Only Futurama had a straight start out of the adult cartoons I've seen so I am not being fair. But Tuca and Bertie sucked.

I've read two commentaries about the show that perfectly portrays why I disliked it. The first one was here, so I am going to quote it:
    But I think it struggles to strike a balance between its surrealist, cartoony setting and its serious down-to-earth themes and storylines. They two things seem to juxtapose each other too harshly at times. I can't take Bertie being sexually harassed as seriously as it should be when her boob literally jumps off and walks away. The reality and the rules in this show are so loose, and that's a bit of a problem.
    This is completely true. The ending of the pilot was awfully cringeworthy and it was the moment when I realized it was not going to imitate the style of BoJack Horseman. Then, in the second episode, you have a boob walking on the streets and talking with everyone. The third episode has Tuca losing her bones. I'm not sure if it was meaningful in the episode but, come on, things are so loose and ridiculous here and that sucks when they apparently aim to develop serious concepts for their plots.

The second review that synthesized my problems is published in IMDb. "It's too childish for adults and too adult for children". YES. The show seems to be obsessed with sex. They make first-plane of boobs everywhere, even the buildings have bouncing boobs in the intro. What the hell, this is insane. BoJack Horseman has scenes of a horse fucking with persons, and cats, and whatever. But they handled it in a way you are aware of what you are watching and you don't feel uncomfortable at all. This show is completely cringeworthy, childish, and repulsive. I wouldn't recommend it to anybody. It's not apt for people with less than ten and it's not relevant for people with more.

I wasn't expecting it to be as good as BoJack Horseman. But I wasn't expecting something worse than Duncanville and Family Guy either.
    SEASON 32 - RATINGS

Undercover Burns - 4/5 / I, Carumbus - 5/5
    Now Museum, Now You Don't - 2/5 / Treehouse of Horror XXXI - 4/5 / The Seven Beer Itch - 1/5
    Podcast News - 4/5 / Three Dreams Denied - 3/5
    The Road to Cincinnati - 4/5 / Sorry Not Sorry - ?/5 / A Springfield Summer Christmas for Christmas - ?/5

13. Thumbs Up To This Post by: orangemo

Stonecutter
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Szyslak100 View Post
    I've given it a shot. I've watched two and a half episodes until I realized I suffered watching it. I don't like to criticize a show judging only the first two episodes of the first seasons. Only Futurama had a straight start out of the adult cartoons I've seen so I am not being fair. But Tuca and Bertie sucked.

I've read two commentaries about the show that perfectly portrays why I disliked it. The first one was here, so I am going to quote it:

This is completely true. The ending of the pilot was awfully cringeworthy and it was the moment when I realized it was not going to imitate the style of BoJack Horseman. Then, in the second episode, you have a boob walking on the streets and talking with everyone. The third episode has Tuca losing her bones. I'm not sure if it was meaningful in the episode but, come on, things are so loose and ridiculous here and that sucks when they apparently aim to develop serious concepts for their plots.

The second review that synthesized my problems is published in IMDb. "It's too childish for adults and too adult for children". YES. The show seems to be obsessed with sex. They make first-plane of boobs everywhere, even the buildings have bouncing boobs in the intro. What the hell, this is insane. BoJack Horseman has scenes of a horse fucking with persons, and cats, and whatever. But they handled it in a way you are aware of what you are watching and you don't feel uncomfortable at all. This show is completely cringeworthy, childish, and repulsive. I wouldn't recommend it to anybody. It's not apt for people with less than ten and it's not relevant for people with more.

I wasn't expecting it to be as good as BoJack Horseman. But I wasn't expecting something worse than Duncanville and Family Guy either.
    I started watching this too and I like it, but I wasn't expecting you to say it's worse than Duncanville. Duncanville is pretty bland imo and hopefully the second season straightens things out.

I would like to read your thoughts about this show, if you want to write them down. Ducanville is a bland show, I completely agree. But in comparison, it's more focused and grounded than Tuca & Bertie. And that's a lot to say taking into account how unfocused and unbalanced is Duncaville.

I only enjoyed three things about this show: it has a dynamic narrative at the style of Stupid Piece of Sh*t that was attractive. The way they presented the characters, for example, feels different thanks to that. I liked a lot the sound mixing. And I genuinely enjoyed the voice acting of Ali Wong. Everything else was a failure, a mess, a disappointment. That's the word, I am disappointed with this show.

16. Thumbs Up To This Post by: orangemo

Stonecutter
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Szyslak100 View Post
    I would like to read your thoughts about this show, if you want to write them down. Ducanville is a bland show, I completely agree. But in comparison, it's more focused and grounded than Tuca & Bertie. And that's a lot to say taking into account how unfocused and unbalanced is Duncaville.

I only enjoyed three things about this show: it has a dynamic narrative at the style of Stupid Piece of Sh*t that was attractive. The way they presented the characters, for example, feels different thanks to that. I liked a lot the sound mixing. And I genuinely enjoyed the voice acting of Ali Wong. Everything else was a failure, a mess, a disappointment. That's the word, I am disappointed with this show.
    I plan to share a season review once I finish season 1. Behind.

18. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Szyslak100

Pin Pal

I don't think the show is irredeemable. But I think it needs to pick one: Bojack Horseman-style down to earth comedy, or wacky over-the-top cartoon. It can't do both. I'd go with the second one, because I do love the show's art and direction. Very creative and visually delightful.

20. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Szyslak100

I don't think the show is irredeemable. But I think it needs to pick one: Bojack Horseman-style down to earth comedy, or wacky over-the-top cartoon. It can't do both. I'd go with the second one, because I do love the show's art and direction. Very creative and visually delightful.
    Yeah, exactly. At this point of the series (assuming the entire first season was as outlandish and cartoonish as the first two episodes) it's too late to follow the tracks of BoJack Horseman. The universe, the characters, and the style are definitely defined to be a wacky cartoon. They should try that. Otherwise, it will be an unstable and ambiguous show.

Blog Entries

fantastic show, and funnier than bojack ever was even though i love the first 3 seasons of it quite a lot. fuck netflix for cancelling it. will fit right in at adult swim

Thread Information