Results 1 to 30 of 30



Thread: The Official Season 19 DVD Thread (December 3, 2019)



(Users Browsing this Thread: )

  1. #1


    The Official Season 19 DVD Thread (December 3, 2019)



    Season 19 of THE SIMPSONS Arrives on DVD December 3
    Twentieth Century FOX Home Entertainment proudly presents THE SIMPSONS
    THE COMPLETE NINETEENTH SEASON - bringing the citizens of Springfield, (state currently unknown) to DVD December 3. This release features numerous classics and comes loaded with bonus features including full audio commentary accompanying every episode, providing a peek behind the curtain to learn more about the residents of 742 Evergreen Terrace.

    As the season following the historic debut of The Simpsons Movie (in 2D!), THE SIMPSONS
    THE COMPLETE NINETEENTH SEASON includes a number of beloved episodes such as the
    Sideshow Bob focused adventure "Funeral for a Fiend," the WGA-nominated "Homer of Seville," and the Emmy-winning "Eternal Moonshine of THE SIMPSONS Mind." Guest stars from the season include returning fan favorites Kelsey Grammer as the aforementioned Sideshow Bob, David Hyde Pierce as his brother Cecil Terwilliger and Glenn Close as Mona Simpson, as well as Stephen Colbert, Matt Dillon, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Jack Black, "Weird Al" Yankovic and MORE!
    THE SIMPSONS THE COMPLETE NINETEENTH SEASON is currently available for pre-order and will be available on December 3.


    THE SIMPSONS THE COMPLETE NINETEENTH SEASON DVD BONUS FEATURES
    Audio Commentaries on All 20 Episodes
    Introduction By Matt Groening
    Special Language Feature
    Thank You
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Captain Squid; 07-25-2019 at 06:23 AM.

  2. Thumbs Up To This Post by: kwijibo, Sam

  3. #2
    vs. Radioactive Man Captain Squid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    3,391


    Thanks for making the thread! To be honest, I never thought we'd see more DVDs.

    Amazon now has it up for pre-order: https://amzn.to/2SGPJK7
    UP AND ATOM!

  4. #3
    SuperFriend Nameless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    UK-Land
    Posts
    9,395


    Things Which Are Different In Some Versions Of Episodes From This Series So We Need To Check Which Version Is On The DVD: Season 19 Edition
    - In the original broadcast of "He Loves to Fly and He D'ohs", Bart kicks Homer in the rear whilst Colby is filming him. In the original broadcast, the shot zooms out when Homer grimaces, but in the syndicated version the framing stays the same (it is not known if either of the Fox repeats used this version).
    - At the end of "Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind", some music which is meant to be Badfinger's "Day after Day" plays; the Simpsons Archive's Syndication Cuts Guide is not certain, but it looks like on the original broadcast a cover version by an in-house band was used, but the syndicated version uses a clip from the actual song (this was presumably also used for network repeats).

    Is that the full list of special features? I'd forgotten about the WGA strike leaving this season slightly shorter than normal, so I wonder if they might chuck one or two 'bonus episodes' on there to make up the difference.
    Season 30 Ratings
    Bart's Not Dead C- Heartbreak Hotel ​D My Way or the Highway to Heaven ​D- Treehouse of Horror XXIX ​C- Baby You Can't Drive My Car ​B+ From Russia Without Love ​B- Werking Mom ​C Krusty the Clown ​B Daddicus Finch B+ 'Tis the 30th Season ​D+ Mad About the Toy ​C+ The Girl on the Bus ​C I'm Dancing as Fat as I Can ​C- The Clown Stays in the Picture ​C- 101 Mitigations C+ I Want You (She's So Heavy) ​C E My Sports ​B- Bart vs. Itchy & Scratchy ​C- Girl's in the Band ​B- I'm Just a Girl Who Can't Say D'oh ​B- D'oh Canada ​C- Woo-hoo Dunnit? ​B Crystal Blue-Haired Persuasion ​C+

  5. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Dark Homer

  6. #4
    vs. Radioactive Man Captain Squid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    3,391


    @Nameless If there is any concern of the wrong versions being included on the set, its always a good idea to tweet Al Jean. He seems to reply to this sort of stuff.

  7. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Big Ben
    Posts
    387


    Quote Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
    Is that the full list of special features? I'd forgotten about the WGA strike leaving this season slightly shorter than normal, so I wonder if they might chuck one or two 'bonus episodes' on there to make up the difference.
    Who knows? Maybe they'd just put an episode from season 29 or 30 on there.

    I'm still concerned about the deleted scenes, though.

  8. #6
    bury my heart in Tijuana Vic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    There's trees here! And rain!
    Posts
    7,491


    I wonder if this'll be more limited runs exclusively through online retailers. I was recently looking for seasons 15-18 in stores and found nada.

    I mean, we're talking DVDs here.

  9. #7
    vs. Radioactive Man Captain Squid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    3,391


    Quote Originally Posted by Vic View Post
    I wonder if this'll be more limited runs exclusively through online retailers. I was recently looking for seasons 15-18 in stores and found nada.

    I mean, we're talking DVDs here.
    I can see Target, Best Buy and Walmart carrying it. They have pretty extensive TV on DVD sections.

  10. #8
    The Chosen One Walid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    'cause I live at home in a trailer...
    Posts
    32,932
    Blog Entries
    137


    I've long considered season 19 to be one of the best post-classic seasons, if not the best, and I haven't fully rewatched many of the episodes in quite some time, so I'm interested to see how much my opinion of it may change{if at all].


  11. #9
    vs. Radioactive Man Captain Squid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    3,391


    Quote Originally Posted by Walid View Post
    I've long considered season 19 to be one of the best post-classic seasons, if not the best, and I haven't fully rewatched many of the episodes in quite some time, so I'm interested to see how much my opinion of it may change{if at all].
    As the last full SD 4:3 season, it truly was the end of an era. And factoring in Eternal Moonshine, which to me is on the handful of "finale worthy" episodes, that feeling is even greater.

    Just browsing the episode list, I'm seeing some episodes I recall really enjoying as well as some episodes and moments I really don't want to revisit. The premiere with the The Simpsons Movie intro gave me high hopes that the series would be subtly changed after the movie, but sadly everything was swept under the rug and the season went on without much if any movie references. Really, I just wanted Spider-Pig added to the lineup of family pets.

    I remember really liking Homer of Seville. THOH was really weak. I don't know how fandom reacted to Husbands and Knives, but I liked how insane it went before all being a dream. Funeral for a Fiend was really great, looking back. Probably my favorite recent Bob episode only matched by The Bob Next Door which I also ended up really liking. E Plurbus Wiggum and That 90s Show were pretty rough, but then we had The Debarted and Dial N For Nerder (a great Martin episode, and one of the few Martin focused episodes of the series. I also recall the animation being great). The rest of the season is so-so, not a fan of Mona's death. Overall though, it's an important season with some big moments and some really great episodes.

  12. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Big Ben
    Posts
    387


    Um... is anyone else concerned about the deleted scenes or is it just me?

  13. #11
    vs. Radioactive Man Captain Squid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    3,391


    Quote Originally Posted by kwijibo View Post
    Um... is anyone else concerned about the deleted scenes or is it just me?
    Given I didn't even think we'd see a 19 and that at least I wanted episode only DVD MOD releases, I'm not that concerned now. Maybe 2017 me would have been. Still maybe you can tweet to Al Jean and ask what's up with them. It's still a ways until December and maybe he can say something to the DVD team?

  14. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Big Ben
    Posts
    387


    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Squid View Post
    Given I didn't even think we'd see a 19 and that at least I wanted episode only DVD MOD releases, I'm not that concerned now. Maybe 2017 me would have been. Still maybe you can tweet to Al Jean and ask what's up with them. It's still a ways until December and maybe he can say something to the DVD team?
    I don't have Twitter.

    Who knows? Maybe they'll surprisingly show up on the box set! They might only be featured on the fourth disc, similar to the season 18 boxset.

  15. #13
    The Chosen One Walid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    'cause I live at home in a trailer...
    Posts
    32,932
    Blog Entries
    137


    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Squid View Post
    As the last full SD 4:3 season, it truly was the end of an era. And factoring in Eternal Moonshine, which to me is on the handful of "finale worthy" episodes, that feeling is even greater.

    Just browsing the episode list, I'm seeing some episodes I recall really enjoying as well as some episodes and moments I really don't want to revisit. The premiere with the The Simpsons Movie intro gave me high hopes that the series would be subtly changed after the movie, but sadly everything was swept under the rug and the season went on without much if any movie references. Really, I just wanted Spider-Pig added to the lineup of family pets.

    I remember really liking Homer of Seville. THOH was really weak. I don't know how fandom reacted to Husbands and Knives, but I liked how insane it went before all being a dream. Funeral for a Fiend was really great, looking back. Probably my favorite recent Bob episode only matched by The Bob Next Door which I also ended up really liking. E Plurbus Wiggum and That 90s Show were pretty rough, but then we had The Debarted and Dial N For Nerder (a great Martin episode, and one of the few Martin focused episodes of the series. I also recall the animation being great). The rest of the season is so-so, not a fan of Mona's death. Overall though, it's an important season with some big moments and some really great episodes.
    looking through the episode list, the first half of the season is pretty dull; I liked the movie references in the opening to the premiere, but that's about it for that episode. I barely remember anything from Homer of Seville to the Treehouse of Horror. Little Orphan Millie I remember liking. Husbands and Knives was really wacky, and I'm not sure how I felt about it back then. Funeral for a Fiend is a pretty good Sideshow Bob episode.

    Eternal Moonshine is easily top of the season. I liked E. Pluribus Wiggum more than most folks did, even though the 'ending' was... nonexistent? I can forget trivial things like 'continuity' to enjoy That 90's Show enough, but that's probably going to be a "view it once and then forget about it" type episode. Don't remember Love, Springfieldian Style a lot. Debarted and Dial N For Nerder are both 5/5s. like I said pretty much everything in the second half is a 4/5 or a 5/5.

    like I also said, it's going to be fun to go back and rewatch these episodes. one of my favorite things about revisiting certain seasons is picking up on the amount of jokes I missed the first time around because I was just a kid/teen and quite a bit of things went over my head...

  16. #14
    vs. Radioactive Man Captain Squid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    3,391


    What I've discovered with these DVD releases is that going back and rewatching 10+ year old seasons without the mindset I had then (Scully sucks! Jerkass Homer sucks! Jean needs to quit!) I discover just how great the writing and jokes could be. The early teens especially lost some of their offensive off-putting qualities when I just focused on how solid the jokes were, often to the point where the current late 20s seasons were crap by comparison.

    But yeah, Dial N For Nerder is not given the appreciation I think it deserves. A real solid kid focused story with a fun mystery, something I wish we'd see more of in modern seasons.

  17. #15
    Junior Camper
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Posts
    234


    I wonder if the box will be the same size as season 18 or all the other seasons.

  18. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Big Ben
    Posts
    387


    Quote Originally Posted by dave9199 View Post
    I wonder if the box will be the same size as season 18 or all the other seasons.
    I think it would most likely be the same as the season 18 boxset...

  19. #17
    The Chosen One Walid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    'cause I live at home in a trailer...
    Posts
    32,932
    Blog Entries
    137


    I'm pretty positive that it's going to be the same thing they did for s18. which is a bit disappointing honestly because the Simpsons DVDs used to be amazing, with the innards, the themes of the seasons 6+, the DVD menus themselves... all the effort put into the box sets. and s18 was kinda just... there. bit underwhelming imo.

    but yay, new season to be released on DVD. about time, right?

  20. Thumbs Up To This Post by: kwijibo

  21. #18
    Dinner at 80 mph lionelhutz123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    5,719
    Blog Entries
    24


    I kinda liked season 18's menus. It had some catchy jazz tunes.

  22. #19
    The Chosen One Walid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    'cause I live at home in a trailer...
    Posts
    32,932
    Blog Entries
    137


    I liked the jazz tunes but other than that, I found them to be a bit relatively simple.

  23. #20
    Pin Pal bboynexus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    283


    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Squid View Post
    What I've discovered with these DVD releases is that going back and rewatching 10+ year old seasons without the mindset I had then (Scully sucks! Jerkass Homer sucks! Jean needs to quit!) I discover just how great the writing and jokes could be. The early teens especially lost some of their offensive off-putting qualities when I just focused on how solid the jokes were, often to the point where the current late 20s seasons were crap by comparison.

    But yeah, Dial N For Nerder is not given the appreciation I think it deserves. A real solid kid focused story with a fun mystery, something I wish we'd see more of in modern seasons.
    Yeah, Dial 'N' for Nerder is a post-classic triumph. It's not only a great Martin story, but an excellent subversion of the whole 'Bart and Lisa team up to solve a problem' trope.

    Of the last 21 seasons that have aired, I think season 19 would rank among the best five.

  24. #21
    vs. Radioactive Man Captain Squid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    3,391




    The Simpsons - The Complete Seasons 1-20: Limited Edition (Fox)
    $549.99 SRP DVD
    https://www.bestbuy.com/site/the-sim...-dvd/6383005.p
    EXTRAS: Includes bonus material found on previously-available individual DVD season sets.
    -----Journey to Springfield to witness the adventures of Homer, Marge, Bart, Lisa and Maggie...from their humble and heartwarming beginnings in "Simpsons Roasting on an Open Fire," and through all of the wild adventures of their first twenty seasons, featuring iconic episodes such as "Marge vs. The Monorail," "Bart the General," "You Only Move Twice" and the legendary two-parter, "Who Shot Mr. Burns?" The beloved series won 34 Emmys, and introduced the world to several celebrated guest appearances by fan favorites including Kelsey Grammer as the criminal mastermind, Sideshow Bob, Glenn Close who brilliantly played Homer's loving and sweet mother Mona Simpson, and Albert Brooks as the evil genius Hank Scorpio. 79-disc set. In total, 1,000 copies of THE SIMPSONS: THE COMPLETE SEASONS 1-20 LIMITED EDITION will be created, with 500 available at Best Buy, and another 500 available at Amazon.
    NOTE: this item is available day-and-date with the previously-announced release of "The Simpsons - The Complete 19th Season" on DVD: https://www.facebook.com/tvshowsondv...57180682711063

  25. Thumbs Up To This Post by: BrokenBox

  26. #22
    Chatting Simpsons Since '93 Brad Lascelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Kitchener, ON
    Posts
    3,559


    I would argue that should be its own thread... but it's such a garbage cash-grab release using already printed DVDs that any hardcore fan already owns that I'm not going to quibble about it.

    I'm holding out for the remastered, BluRay, full series (Seasons 1-32+) release we'll be getting after the show has wrapped up. Save your money for that set because this one will be worthless in short order (and you already own these DVDs anyhow). Don't spend $550 US on a cardboard box.
    SEASON 31 RANKINGS
    The Winter of Our Monetized Content - 2/5 / Go Big or Go Homer - 2.5/5 / The Fat Blue Line - 3.5/5
    THOH XXX = Danger Things - 2.5/5 / Heaven Swipes Right - 1.5/5 / When Hairy Met Slimy - 2/5
    Gorillas on the Mast - 4/5 / Marge the Lumberjill - 2.5/5 / Livin' la Pura Vida - ?/5
    THANKSGIVING OF HORROR = ?????? - ?/5 / ?????? - ?/5 / ?????? - ?/5


  27. #23
    vs. Radioactive Man Captain Squid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    3,391


    I considered a new thread, but the press release makes it appear to just be a repack of seasons 1-20 and it releases same day as season 19. It's just an extension (albeit a very expensive one) of the upcoming DVD release. X-Files did the same thing, it was just a box and inside were the individually wrapped seasons. Futurama has one like this too.

  28. #24
    Stonecutter ComicBookGal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    THAT'S IT BACK TO WINNIPEG!
    Posts
    2,052


    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Squid View Post


    The Simpsons - The Complete Seasons 1-20: Limited Edition (Fox)
    $549.99 SRP DVD
    https://www.bestbuy.com/site/the-sim...-dvd/6383005.p
    EXTRAS: Includes bonus material found on previously-available individual DVD season sets.
    -----Journey to Springfield to witness the adventures of Homer, Marge, Bart, Lisa and Maggie...from their humble and heartwarming beginnings in "Simpsons Roasting on an Open Fire," and through all of the wild adventures of their first twenty seasons, featuring iconic episodes such as "Marge vs. The Monorail," "Bart the General," "You Only Move Twice" and the legendary two-parter, "Who Shot Mr. Burns?" The beloved series won 34 Emmys, and introduced the world to several celebrated guest appearances by fan favorites including Kelsey Grammer as the criminal mastermind, Sideshow Bob, Glenn Close who brilliantly played Homer's loving and sweet mother Mona Simpson, and Albert Brooks as the evil genius Hank Scorpio. 79-disc set. In total, 1,000 copies of THE SIMPSONS: THE COMPLETE SEASONS 1-20 LIMITED EDITION will be created, with 500 available at Best Buy, and another 500 available at Amazon.
    NOTE: this item is available day-and-date with the previously-announced release of "The Simpsons - The Complete 19th Season" on DVD: https://www.facebook.com/tvshowsondv...57180682711063
    well, I bet that'll be heavier than the Ultimate episode Guide, this is going to be the most expensive simpsons item yet (even if it wasn't a limited edition) which begs the million dollar question.....will Stark Ravin Dad still be on it?
    Simpsons Comics 1993-2018

  29. #25
    vs. Radioactive Man Captain Squid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    3,391


    That's a good question about Stark Raving Dad. They would have to reissue the season set and edit out all mentions of it. Basically reauthor the disc and remove it from the box and booklet. All that work doesn't make sense for a 1,000 edition set. So either it WILL have it OR on that same day they will quietly reissue season 3 on DVD with the edit and pack that in the box as well.


  30. #26
    Chatting Simpsons Since '93 Brad Lascelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Kitchener, ON
    Posts
    3,559


    My money is on the laziest outcome possible... my bet is that Stark Raving Dead is included in this clearly low-effort cash grab of a release.

    Also, I'd wager that some enterprising individual is going to digitally print some cardboard boxes and bulk it together with some plastic DVD cases and sell that shit on eBay for $80 so fans can make their own damn sets with their existing discs sometime early in the new year. Just think of all of the shelf space we'll save!

  31. #27
    don't quite cover all CousinMerl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Spittle County
    Posts
    8,158


    I like the packaging art but it is really a bulky, clunky and space-eating design they opted for, not to mention being a pointless release, especially as it's so limited and only being split up between two companies (this obsession with very limited editions and exclusives feel like it's going way too far).

    Also, as for the Season 19 set, 50 dollars sound really expensive for a single season nowadays, almost absurdly so.

  32. #28
    Have Brain, Will Travel Wile E. the Brain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    France
    Posts
    583


    Couldn't agree more, such a useless cash-grab with little to no interest especially when you already have some seasons of the show. And among 20 seasons, it's easy to have at least some of them. The Futurama complete collection had more reasons to exist (mostly because... well, the show's over now). And was more affordable.

    By the way, that means season 20 will not have any other edition than the one it had for the 20th anniversary (the one with nothing but the episodes) ?

  33. #29
    Junior Camper
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Posts
    234


    Looking at the cover picture on amazon, the box will be wider like season 18.

  34. #30
    Stonecutter BrokenBox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    2,671
    Blog Entries
    118


    The Futurama set was sexy. That Simpsons set looks like a bootleg set you'd find on some obscure DVD site...

    I'm still holding out hope a Blu-ray set with legit remasters of the classic seasons eventually materializes. Actual remasters not that upscaled, cropped, and sharpened crap playing on FXX



Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •