Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: Amphibia

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

@John95

I didn't spot that one reference in the book (I still haven't seen that show, even though its cult favorite status), but I like the cross-referencing in these various shows (and in some cases I wonder if there will be some form of crossover, such as with 'Amphibia' and maybe 'The Owl House' or 'Gravity Falls', in part of due to how the creators know each other and are good friends, it seems).

As for the other thing,  I am pretty sure that Marcy did not die (we only saw her collapsed) but was grievously injured and will be healed back to health (as she is shown inside the vat of liquid in the S3 intro, again). Also, I too am quite sure it is really her and not a clone, which would be lame (albeit it is intriguing why Andrias would want to keep her alive despite turning against him, if its him who put her in that healing tank and not the opposition movement, which I am sure will be a thing as Sasha & Grime are still around and are not happy). 

Furthermore, I do hope that Marcy's injury and brush with death won't be glossed over and that it will be heard of and felt regarding her (as it was a pretty big thing, to put it lightly). I'm guessing she'll have some pretty big mental scars and full remember all what happened (including her accident). Will be interesting to see how they'll handle it for S3. 
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 05-25-2021 at 09:44 AM.
    Season 32: Undercover Burns - 3/5 / I, Carumbus - 4/5 / Now Museum, Now You Don't - 1.5/5 / Treehouse Of Horror XXXI - 4/5 / The 7 Beer Itch - 1/5 / Podcast News - 3.5/5 / Three Dreams Denied - 2/5 / The Road to Cincinnati - 4/5 / Sorry Not Sorry - 3/5 / A Springfield Summer Christmas For Christmas - 2.5/5 / The Dad-Feelings Limited - 4/5 / Diary Queen - 2.5/5 / Wad Goals - 4/5 / Yokel Hero - 1.5/5 / Do PizzaBots Dream Of Electric Guitars? - 2.5/5 / Manger Things - 1.5/5 / Uncut Femmes - 4/5 / Burger Kings - 1.5/5 / Panic In The Streets Of Springfield - 3/5 / Mother And Child Reunion - 2.5/5 / The Man From G.R.A.M.P.A. - 3.5/5 / The Last Barfighter - 4.5/5

@CousinMerl, The other thing I'll note about the Gargoyles reference is that the character depicted is named Goliath was voiced by Keith David who is now in this show as King Andrias.

As for the crossover thing, from I understand there's some very elaborate legal obligations that prevents any of the Disney TVA shows from doing crossovers with each other (with Lilo & Stitch being the notable exception, likely because that show was based on a pre-existing film) and something like Wax Museum or the references to Bill & Goliath in the book are the most they can do.
    Family Guy Season 19 Ratings - Stewie's First Word: 1.5/5 The Talented Mr. Stewie: .5/5 Boys & Squirrels: 0/5 Cutawayland: 1.5/5 La Famiglia Guy: 0/5 Meg's Wedding: 1.5/5 Wild Wild West: 3.5/5 Pawtucket Pat: 1.5/5 The First No L: 1.5/5 Fecal Matters: .5/5 Boy's Best Friend: 1.5/5 And Then There's Fraud: 0/5 PeTerminator: 1.5/5 The Marrying Kind: 1.5/5 Customer of the Week: 0/5 Who's Brian Now?: 1/5 Young Parents: 2/5 Meg Goes to College: 2.5/5 Family Cat: 3.5/5 Tales of Former Sports Glory: 0/5
    American Dad! Season 17 Ratings - Who Smarted?: 2/5 Russian Doll: 0/5 Stan Moves to Chicago: 0/5 Shakedown Steve:0/5 Thank God for Loose Rocks: 0/5 The Wondercabinet: .5/5 Little Bonnie Ramirez: 0/5 Dancin' A-with My Cell: 2/5 ̶M̶u̶s̶e̶d̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶A̶b̶u̶s̶e̶d̶:̶ ̶T̶B̶D̶ ̶H̶e̶n̶d̶e̶r̶s̶o̶n̶:̶ ̶T̶B̶D̶ Hot Scoomp: TBD

Have Brain, Will Travel Wile E. the Brain's Avatar

I haven't seen Gargoyles yet but I find it rather amusing that it has seemingly been referenced quite a number of times in other Disney shows as of recently. There already was a couple of references in the DuckTales reboot, including a big one during the series finale (which kicked ass by the way).

About True Colors, can we agree that  Haley Tju absolutely nails Marcy here ? She's always made a damn good job voicing her before but here, she makes the second half of the episode all the more heartbreaking. Kudos to her. 

@John95, I was already guessing that there's legal troubles that prevent crossovers since there hasn't been any even to this point, even though some of the shows are compatible that way IMO. I wish Disney would solve these legal issues to allow for crossovers to happen (just that Lilo & Stitch was a movie originally shouldn't really be the only reason their spin-off/sequel series was allowed to do crossovers, if that is the case), but then again maybe it is for the best as then shows wouldn't be so unique and it is a possibility a crossover wouldn't work.

And @Wile E. the Brain, a resounding "Yes" to what you say about Haley Tju. She always did a great job and made Marcy come to life, but she took it to the next level here and her performance really deepened the role. I was thinking of the character the other day and how surprising it was that she's not even been in one full season (introduced near midway into season 2) and she already turned into an excellent, threedimensional character and I think Tju deserves a lot of credit. One of the best performances on the show, by far.

I almost feel it is time to add Marcy to the "Best Characters in Modern Animation" thread I made at the start of the year (I suppose Sasha also qualifies at this point).
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 05-25-2021 at 01:03 PM.

@Wile E. the Brain, Yes, absolutely. For me what further sold Marcy trying to justify her actions before completely giving in are the instances where she stammers as well as how Haley Tju is the youngest of the three VA's voicing the human trio as she only turned 20 a few months ago while Brenda Song & Anna Akana are both at least 10 years older so it further sells Marcy being the more child-like of the three since her VA is barely an adult herself (and I'm assuming was probably still a late teen when she got the role).

Also, it's funny you should say this as there was a post I saw on Twitter last night that more or less said the same!: https://mobile.twitter.com/AmphibiaM...64232164478976

I just visited the IMDB page for the show and I saw that 'True Colors' sit at an 9.9 rating (top rated episode) and only have 10/10 reviews thus far. Well, I knew the episode was gonna be big and quite popular, but I am still surprised it took off that much, but then again, I think its untimely delay for a few weeks did a lot of good for it and possibly gave its popularity a definite boost.

By the way, how do you guys think it compares to 'Reunion' (the season 1 finale)?
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 05-25-2021 at 01:00 PM.

@CousinMerl, Despite it's rushed nature in a few spots I easily take it over Reunion and would go as far as to say that currently it's the best episode they put out this year.

@John95, I'd argue that it ('True Colors') is the best animated episode of the year so far (to me), even against some competition (And yes, as it has sunk in more some days after the official release, I think it is superior to 'Reunion', even if being slightly longer wouldn't have hurt).

Have Brain, Will Travel Wile E. the Brain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CousinMerl View Post
    By the way, how do you guys think it compares to 'Reunion' (the season 1 finale)?
    Well, Reunion was already quite a strong finale, but I believe True Colors (despite feeling a little more rushed, I agree) left a bigger mark on me. Probably because it has the advantage of being the culmination of everything we saw those three girls going through and being the result of a character development more advanced than it was back in season 1. Then again, each of these two episodes stand on its own two feet regardless of the other, I think, and has its own approach and context.

6th best thing to do to gel. Smear-Gel's Avatar

Just caught up, Amphibia is the best cartoon Disney has ever had. Just incredible.

https://twitter.com/DisneyTVANews/st...80025061658629
    Not even a month later, and my previous prediction for when the show would return is confirmed to be this fall! My current estimate for a late September/early October which would put it to be about as long as the hiatus between Seasons 2 & 3 of Rapunzel's Tangled Adventure.

An interview Matt did timestamped to the point where he goes into detail regarding  Marcy getting stabbed  which more or less confirms many suspicions people like me had regarding why True Colors got delayed. All I'll say is that shockingly most if not all my previous hunches I've had regarding the delay and how they were still able to get the episode to air uncensored were dead on!

@John95, while I never ruled out that season 3 was gonna start later during fall, I must admit that I am surprised they did not wait for it any longer (I almost expected something akin the ridiculous one year hiatus between the third and fourth (and last) season of 'Star Vs. The Forces Of Evil'; I still have no idea why they delayed it for so long and then rushed through the season). Either way, I'm glad that the supposedly final part of 'Amphibia' is not all too far away.

By the way, the timestamp for the relevant part of the interview (that about that scene and how it caused the delay of the season finale) doesn't show up for me so care to poinpoint it?

@CousinMerl, Might be because you're watching on a mobile device. Anyways, Matt talks about the relevant part at around 41 mins in.

@John95, I'm actually not watching on a mobile device, but the timestamp still doesn't show up for me (may be the only one). Thanks for mentioning it, anyway (and will probably check out more of the interview as it seem to go into some interesting stuff regarding the series).

Regarding the relevant part of the interview, It is interesting. I definitely agree that the addition of the S3 intro do lessen the impact of the ending where it would've been nice dramatically to just leave the viewers hanging with no preview trailer (like with 'Infinity War', to pull that comparison out again), but I understand the reason why Disney forced them to (and I still liked to see where they are going next).
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 06-10-2021 at 12:20 AM.

Thread Information